3 Days Late? BoA Jacks Rate To 29.99%

Many of you know that if you’re late on your credit card bill payments they can raise your rates as high as 29.99%, but that’s just for scalawags, right? Nope. JLP at All Financial Matter’s brother was late twice on his Bank of America bill, once by three days, and once by one day. That was enough to make Bank of America say, OMG, this guy is way too risky and we need to penalize him and send his rates as high as they can legally go!

JLP’s brother has a credit score of about 750. He has a mortgage with Bank of America, never late on, as well as several savings and checking accounts with them.

When he complained to Bank of America, the customer service rep said, “Well sir you’re blaming the credit card company for your mistakes.” He replied, “OK I know I am not your biggest customer but I can tell you this: I will actively seek to move every penny, including my mortgage, elsewhere.”

She said “OK.” He hung up, vowing, “I will mention to everyone I know that BOA sucks a**.”

It’s true, you need to make sure you pay your bills on time. But come on, going to the default rate after a minor bit of lateness? That’s idiotic. Congratulations, Bank of America, you just turned a long-term customer into your sworn enemy.

My Brother’s Nasty Bank of America Experience [All Financial Matters] (Photo: Kenny Miller)

Comments

1. mmcnary says:

They Don’t Care.

• cerbie says:

@mmcnary: I know we’re not supposed to QFT, so I won’t, exactly, you know, QFT. I’ll just leave the link right there. See, no quoting (in a, “don’t remove this jumper that disables your listening in on all frequencies–yes, the jumper this arrow arrow points to,” kind of way, though).

Add on, “they like making money by punitive fees,” and you’ve got just about every anti-BofA comment covered.

2. SigmundTheSeaMonster says:

I feel his pain. I was late one day. One freaking day. I got the bill on the 30th, it was due following month on the 8th. The 31st and 1st were weekend and holiday. I mailed it out on the 2nd. They got it on the 7th (sunday) but entered it on the 9th. My 5.99% interest is now 16.99%. WTF?

Oh, and if you are late 2x within a 6month period, bam.

No. I will not allow BoA my routing info nor access to my accounts. I consolidated my debt and told them to GFY.

• mac-phisto says:

are you guys stalking me?

i just went thru this YESTERDAY! i got sidetracked at work & when i finally remembered that i forgot something at 5:05pm, it was too late to make a payment online. so i called & tried to make a payment over the phone. nope – only up to 5pm. ok, maybe if i talk to a person. yeah, right. “there’s nothing i can do for you, sir.” (at this point it’s 5:15pm). 15 minutes late – $35.

i know it’s my fault for missing the payment – i know all about payment deadlines, all i’m asking for is a little freakin’ leniency. throw me a goddamn bone here – i’ve been a customer for a decade. i’ve made your company thousands of dollars in interest payments over that time. isn’t that worth an extra 5 minutes ONE TIME IN A FREAKIN DECADE??!??!

@SigmundTheSeaMonster: check your terms – 2 times in 12 months for me. both times i made the payment FROM a BOA checking account TO a BOA credit card on the day it was due – it just wasn’t credited until the following business day.

• ManiacDan says:

As much as I hate blaming the poster, the guy was late twice in a short amount of time, and BoA did exactly what the terms of the card says they’ll do.

Credit cards are a rip-off. You agree to be ripped off when you get a credit card unless you follow their very specific anti-rip-off steps. Use a bank card or a payment card if you can’t follow the steps. It’s not like credit cards are the only payment method around.

@SigmundTheSeaMonster: If they received your check before the due date, they can’t raise your rates. You should have demanded to speak to a supervisor.

3. laserjobs says:

Try paying your bills before they are due, it really is not that hard. Did his card agreement not say they could do this? Did he not agree to the terms?

Damn it people be responsible for yourself

• BrianDaBrain says:

@laserjobs: Wow, you just have this fascination with blaming the OP lately. Yes, paying bills late is bad, but it happens to everybody. Get off your pedestal.

• Consumerist-Moderator-Roz says:

@laserjobs: Helpful comments (try x…) are fine. Being smug about it (“it’s not that hard”) is not fine and falls under ‘blaming the victim’. Please read the comment code before commenting.

• laserjobs says:

@Consumerist-Moderator-Roz:

Is this better:

Try paying your bills on time as your credit card agreement outlines the corrective action they can take. I hear if you do not like the terms offered that you should try to opt-out of new terms or cancel the card in question.

Personally I still think being late on two payments is irresponsible.

• Sugarless says:

@laserjobs: Unless the company holds the payment give you for a few days or changes the due date WITHOUT any notice or charges for paying too early.

Because that’s been known to happen and not just to one person either. So, it’s a bit more than just people being responsible for themselves.

4. RagingBoehner says:

This seems really excessive. The worst part is that if you’re carrying a balance you can really get screwed by the extra payments.

I’d be fine with these crazy rate hikes if they only applied pro-actively (is that the opposite of retroactively??). If you don’t like the rate hike, that way you don’t have to use the card anymore.

Or even if there was some element of a waiting period of 30 or 60 or more days where you would have a legitimate opportunity to find another arrangement instead of getting pounded by these absurd interest rates.

But if you wake up one day any your monthly interest payment has quadrupled you could be super-screwed if you’re carrying a large balance

5. BrianDaBrain says:

I’ve been late exactly twice on my credit card payment, which is housed through the same credit union that has my checking and savings and car loan accounts. You wanna know what they did? Nothing. Not so much as a 0.01% increase. My credit union, unlike BoA, actually cares, which is why I continue to do business with them.

I recommend credit unions to everybody, especially after getting hosed over by a larger bank.

6. BofA issued me a new number out of nowhere. They claimed it was when MBNA switched to BofA. I didn’t want to argue with the lady that I got my card after Jan 1st which was when BofA finally owned us. I still had two credit cards showing up on my online banking screen. One day I did a quick glance and only saw the 2nd number at 0.00, so I didn’t make a payment. On a Friday, my bill was due. On Sunday night, I got a notice saying my payment hadn’t been made. I made an immediate payment, but still got hit with fees. It took over 2 hours to get the old card deleted off my account screen. NOW, I never get a owed amount online when I check my balance. I can only pay if I view my paper statement, and punch that into their manual payment screen. It’s such a hassle now to see if I made my payment. I really dislike BofA.

7. bravo369 says:

I think the key wording here is that they paid LATE. excuse me for not having sympathy. you paid late…twice. sure it’s by 1-3 days but it’s late. I have had my credit cards for close to a decade and i don’t think i’ve ever been ‘late’.

i get paid bi-weekly as most people do so I just set up my credit card payment for the future on the day i get paid. it’s not an automatic payment, i just go to the website on the 6th of each month, see what my bill is, and set up a payment for the full amount or half if it’s really high and schedule it for the 15th, (the other half for the 30th if necessary). by the time the 6th comes the following month, the balance is paid off. I understand not everyone can do this so just schedule the minimum payment on one of your paydays.

8. junip says:

BofA sucking is not anything new. They repeatedly put me in the wrong type of checking account, hitting me with service fees every few months, then told me specifically to stop transferring money into my checking from savings because they had “set it up to automatically transfer” so I wouldn’t have to. Then when I got hit w/a bunch of overdraft fees they said they wouldn’t reverse them because the guy who changed my account was on vacation.

In the end I made my money back by opening a new acct with them under a promotion that gave me $100, then closing the acct as soon as the money showed up. I still have a CC w/ them but I don’t use it anymore. When my promo rate ran out, I called to ask them if there was a new promo rate, and they said “not for another 3 months.” So I transferred my balance away and haven’t used the card since. If the customer has never been late on a payment, never been over limit, and always had a moderate balance, there should be a promo rate avail at all times.

9. TheGreenMnM says:

This makes me so angry… I feel like I’m going to blow a gasket. It makes me even more angry that people are already sitting there going “pay your bills on time”. For ANY other type of debt (utilites, loans, etc) if you are a day or three late the worst you might get is a late payment fee. One time. Period. This situation is more like herpes… forever. One mistake and you have the big red A. However you want to call it. Serously, life happens. I can understand if it’s habitual thing to be a few days late, but really, this is just the eviliest of evil. It’s no wonder we live in a world of cheaters and theives. Seems they are the only ones that get ahead.

I apoligize… /rant off

10. marike says:

This happened to my husband about 5 years ago when he was a day late. They said it’d go back down after 3 or 4 months, and it did, to around 22%. We quickly paid off his account and they still kept billing us for interest on a non-existing balance. His interest rate ended up at 131.31% because we refused to pay it and BoA admitted it was their fault and there was no need for us to pay it. After almost a year of phone calls and letters, they finally removed the balance and fees that’d accumulated on the $0 balance and fixed his credit report.

[www.flickr.com]

11. ezacharyk says:

I am finally getting rid of my BoA accounts. I have switched banks. I have a credit card with them that I am paying off and unfortunately my mortgage is through them. But at least my bank accounts are gone. These people suck.

12. LoriLynn says:

BofA did this to me for being a day late. I called and tried to explain, but no go. So I transferred, canceled, and that was that. I figured it was pretty much my fault, so I didn’t make a stink. They could be nicer, of course. But they don’t have to be. I agreed to their rules when I signed the card. If they think there’s enough potential customers out there to keep running through them like water…well, we’ll see.

• Coelacanth says:

@LoriLynn: However, some of the problem with BofA is while you may agree to their rules when you apply for the card, they keep changing them.

It’s always a joy to see the new “Amendments” virtually every month that come with my statement.

13. Jonbo298 says:

This needs to occur more often actually. Why? It will cause people to rethink the need for credit cards. Until gas prices reached record levels, people didn’t see that they don’t NEED to be driving everywhere and anywhere.

Once credit card rates are so astronomically high because you were a few days late and you cut off the card, and this occurs more and more, it will cause people to realize that they don’t NEED that credit card to live.

Once that happens, the CC industry will go “Gee, screwing people out of more money is bad I guess”. We’ve seen how just gas alone destroys an economy, now its time to see absurd credit card rates for little things destroy the credit industry and then trickle back into the economy even harder thus screwing everyone again.

• azntg says:

How much longer until the Bank of Opportunists will reach critical mass and just explode?

I feel for the victims and will do everything I can to help them (if they post at certain consumer credit forums that I participate in). It’s just that I’m just getting tired of hearing complaints about Bank of America when it’s futile at best.

Damn it, just die BOA!

@Jonbo298: Just out of curiosity, are you also in the “people should use their mattress as a bank” camp?

Suppose, as you’ve said people re-think the importance of credit cards. People drop their credit cards en masse after some people screw up. Do you seriously think CC companies will realize the errors of their ways?

Perhaps as recently as several decades ago, they might have. In the year 2008, that ain’t happening! Dream on! The creditors will bank on more naivity and simply find other ways to screw customers. Profit and money above everything, including ethics and other basics that every human beings SHOULD honor.

Let’s face it, banks and creditors suck. But in a time when they have surprisingly strong control of our economy, it’s in our best interests to game the system and use it to our advantage.

Or you can just sit there, complain and hope for the best. Just don’t mind anybody pointing fingers and laughing at you.

14. junip says:

oh, also, I forgot to mention that if you have a BofA acct and you move to another state, they will tell you that you have to close the acct and open a new one in the new state. The excuse I got from a number of employees there was that they couldn’t be linked from state to state because of differing bank laws. This is total BS as there are other banks that are linked throughout states and you don’t have to reopen an acct when you move. BofA just can’t get their act together because all they do is buy other banks.

• bwcbwc says:

@blazenbu: I think you mean the banks are pimps and treat their customers like whores.

• @junip:

This is what discouraged me from opening an account several years ago. It is such a hassle to change banks every time I move that I went to BofA to open an account prior to another big move across the country. They told me the same thing. You’ll have to close your account and open a new one after you get there.

Thanks but no thanks

• Tankueray says:

@junip: I opened my accounts with NationsBank when I was 12. I moved to Florida when I was 23, got new checks with the new address, same bank account. Moved back to Texas when I was 24. New checks with my TX address, same account since I was 12. That’s one of the reasons I chose BoA, was because my grandma could make a deposit at her local branch and I could access the money anywhere I was. I also have accounts at a local bank and a CU, but I like my BoA just fine. They have my mortgage at around 6% and I have a CC with them for 7.9% Haven’t had a problem with them in almost 20 years. But I always make the CC transfer payment a few days before its due, just in case.

15. TeeDub says:

I guess now would be the time to say that failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency for BOA.

I have a hard time understanding why the OP and several posters above don’t just paying the bills when they come in. That would alleviate any potential “late payments” and keep your rates safe and secure.

• oneandone says:

@TeeDub: I got charged with a late payment because I paid my MBNA card (pre-BOA) too early – I saw the statement balance online, paid what my monthly budget would allow, and once I confirmed it went through, assumed it was paid. Turns out the payment processed as part of the previous payment cycle – they had shifted the dates slightly and never let me know. So from their perspective, I paid twice for the previous month and not at all during the current month, and the next time I checked there was a late fee attached.

Luckily, no rate increases & I got them to drop the late fee (since I had no previous late payments ever). But it really frustrated me that you have to wait for them to bill you before you can pay, or else the payment won’t apply properly and you get penalized. And if the billing date varies, it really screws with planning.

• mac-phisto says:

@oneandone: i HATE that! my due date is between 4th – 9th every month (depending on which constellation mercury is in or something). the billing cycle doesn’t change over until 15th-19th. any payment made before then is in “payment limbo” – it’s either too late or too early, but not on time!

just another reason to love my friendly neighborhood BOA.

16. ambrooks16 says:

Most credit cards will jack your interest rate up if you are late twice in a 12 month period. They will usually even reinforce that after you are late once. Whether this is reasonable or not is debateable, but it seems to be fairly universal.

Just be thankful that it didn’t ding your credit score. That typically doesn’t kick in until a bill is 30 days late.

17. Tightlines says:

Being late once, I can see. But having it happen twice, then I kind of lose sympathy, especially in this day and age when you know that these large financial institutions are just itching to find any excuse to jack up your interest rate. I’m sorry, but he needs to be more responsible.

I receive all of my credit card notifications through e-mail and I write the due dates and the amount owed on my desk calendar. I pay these bills online and make sure I schedule them for at least a few days in advance of the due date. It’s really not that hard.

18. Bladefist says:

Depending on the size of this mortgage, and how long he is into it, they may care. If he just started his mortgage, and his loan is like, eh 200k, then they just like hundreds of thousands of dollars. If his payment is all principle (IE mortgage about over) then no, they dont care, they’ve made their money.

19. sassfactor4 says:

This happened to me with Citibank at 28.99% and they wouldn’t budge on moving the rate back down. I just transferred the balance to a chase card with 3.99% instead.

20. ThinkerTDM says:

For those people here who are actually defending paying late, how would you feel if your pay check was late?
    I’m guessing it wouldn’t go over so well.
    So- pay your bills on time, for crying out loud.

• QuiteSpunky says:

@ThinkerTDM: @Tightlines: The point is not that it should be ok to pay late– it isn’t. The point is the astronomical penalty imposed for paying late. It’s the financial equivalent of imposing the death penalty for stealing a pack of gum.

• Tightlines says:

@QuiteSpunky: Yes, the penalty sucks. But as consumers, before we sign a contract, we need to know what the penalties for failing to live up to the terms of the contract.

• ManiacDan says:

@QuiteSpunky: Since I assume BoA didn’t force the OP into bankruptcy, your analogy isn’t correct. BoA’s high interest rates is more like being fined hundreds of dollars for going a small amount over the speed limit. Oh wait…

• mac-phisto says:

@ThinkerTDM: you know what, that’s happened to me. funny thing is, i didn’t get paid an extra $35 & i wasn’t able to convince my employer that he owed me an extra $5 an hour for the next 6 months b/c he paid me late.

so, i guess what i’m saying is, i don’t think your comparison is a very good one.

• jswilson64 says:

@ThinkerTDM: If my paycheck was one day late, but I got to charge them interest, I might take that deal…

• crashfrog says:

@ThinkerTDM: How would you feel if you paid on time, but your credit card holder held the payment until it was late, and then jacked your rate?

Since, you know, that’s exactly what’s been happening to a lot of people.

21. MercuryPDX says:

Late is late when your bank is looking for ANY excuse to nail you.

22. MyPetFly says:

BofA = Beasts of Armageddon

23. gibbergabber says:

kudos to laserjobs for being a freakin genius and always paying bills ahead of time. For the rest of us who live in the real world, this sucks. I was late on a BOA CC bill by 2 days and had my rate jacked up. I got the same reply from customer service. I’m planning to move all of my BOA accts over to my credit union.

24. minnesara says:

I understand that this is a pretty drastic step on the part of Bank of America, but COME ON. It’s not like you got the bill the day before it was due, or that you don’t pay the same bill every month. Take some responsibility for your own inaction. I used to work retail and people would come in to complain that they got hit with a late fee. There was nothing we, at the store could do, and even if I could I don’t think I would. Happily coming in several times a month, and putting it all on their charge, then coming back just to complain about actually having to pay it, on time, just like what the contract they signed said they’d have to do? Jeez.

25. leastcmplicated says:

I’m actually in the middle of switching to a CU, lower interest rates, no nickel and diming… help for other various things for free O_O i’m sold!

26. pal003 says:

Never a late payment when it was an MBNA card. Then it changed to Bank of A**es, and I noticed a payment was posted one day late. I called to complain and asked why it took 10 days from the day I mailed the payment to post – the CSR was shocked too. He put me on hold, but then came back and said tough luck.

I think he knew that the payment had been held and posted late on purpose. They increased the rate from 7% to 20.99%. I stopped using it. Write to Congress – they are going to vote soon on Credit Card Holders Bill of Rights.

27. econobiker says:

And you can make a phone payment for only what $15.00? Got to love the fee beasts at BOA.

I too had this happen. Jacked me to 29.99, then reduced to 27.99 when I complained, and said that I needed 6 months of good payments to “review” it again for further decrease. I will be applying for a 0% for 6 months transfer with a couple of apps I received in the last 2 weeks…

28. MJF831 says:

Man, I truly hate people who blame the OP so easily.

We were late ONCE with BofA. And we were late because they randomly decided to change the due date. And we have automatic bill pay! They jacked our low rate up to 30%!!!!
    So please- come on haters- find a way to blame us on that one~ Life happens- BofA happens. It does not always equal irresponsibility.

29. biikman says:

Once I forgot about a payment, and called the day it was due. The first rep said sorry it’s gonna post the next day and will be chargeda late fee. I called back, and the next rep had sympathy for me, and told me to go to http://www.myeasypayment.com and submit the payment there. it will post the same day, and no extra fee’s. It is affiliated with BOA and never had a problem using it.

30. coan_net says:

Even though I hate that companies have “due dates” and wish they would just go on an honor system and just trust that everyone will send their payments in when they can…….

I honestly believe there would be many people out there that would take advantage of it, so I understand that companies have to have due dates.

……. and along with that, if they had due dates but nothing bad happened if it was late, guess what….. YUP, many people would probable start to take advantage of it.

So even though I hate to say it, I agree with the companies who have to have due dates and have “punishments” when they are not followed.

(I think some companies try to take advantage of it by having due dates too soon after billing dates – but that is a different subject.)

31. maestrosteve says:

You know what the penalty rules are when you get a credit card. You get the bill/invoice weeks before it is actually due. You can make an online payment 2 days before it’s due, at no extra charge. If a person insists on mailing it, then mail it a week and a half before it is due so it arrives before the due date.
    The penalty is the price you pay for not giving someone back their money when it is due. Late is late, and although you don’t like the penalty, just avoid it by paying on time.

Why was it late? Too lazy to send it on time? Didn’t have the money in the bank yet? It doesn’t really matter. Deep down, you know you made a mistake, made it more than once, and you knew the rules. Your fault, stop blaming someone else.

I’m just very surprised to see so many comments here from people who think it should be OK to be even a little late with a payment. My guess is that you don’t own a business, and you don’t send out bills.

• SacraBos says:

@maestrosteve: You don’t always get the bill weeks. By the time it closes, and they mail you you a statement, and they set the payment due day (which is before the closing day), they have managed to squeeze your time for compliance in some cases to 2 weeks. And since it can take up to 10 days to post your payment, you may only have a few days to make the payment.

Again, the banks skewing the rules to maximize fees and boosted interest rates.

32. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

My suggestion would be, if you *KNOW* you can’t make a payment on time – CALL YOUR CARDHOLDER!!! Last winter I was snowed in – couldn’t make it to the post office to mail a payment, or to the credit union to do it directly. Hadn’t set up electronic payments through my credit union either (didn’t even know they were available at the time.) I called my cardholder and explained the situation (it was about 5 days before it was due but we were due for another major storm.) They looked back through my history (always on time, always more than minimum paid) and waived the payment for that month. They didn’t HAVE to do that, I was just hoping they’d give me a few extra days to find a way to get to the credit union so I could pay. Surprised me, but I learned that not *all* credit card companies are evil.

33. Same experience with Citibank, who bumped my rate up to 29.99% after I had been late for the first time in the 4 years I’ve had the card. It was my fault, so I did not complain. This penalty rate only lasted 6 months, after which the rate returned to normal automatically. I think this is a very reasonable practice, and the cost is really nominal.

34. originalread says:

A few months back as I was graduating from graduate school and moving, I paid 3 of my credit cards late. Two were a day late and the my citi bank card was 23 minutes late. The two which were a day late, only charged me the typical late payment fee which I expected. No other fees or penalties and both were very happy about waving them.

Citi on the other had charged me a late fee and jacked my interest rate from 10.99% to 30.99%. I was 23 minutes late. My payment went from 150 to close to 400 a month. It took me 2 hours of arguing on the phone to get them to reverse the interest rate change and get the fee back.

35. Hogan1 says:

BOA customer for 10 years. Not one problem or fee. Ever. Then again I only use a credit card for airline miles and pay it off every month.

Just set up an auto bill pay for the minimum each month if you have to…

36. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Bank of America just jacked my rate to 29% – and I have NEVER been late, NEVER been overdrawn, and pay MORE than minimum. I have NOT violated any aspect of the TOS.

My crime? A $2,500 balance and no new purchases in the past year.

My option? Send a letter (to be received by Sept 14) to a PO Box and not use the card. If I don’t charge to the card I will keep my old rate. If I use it just once my rate will go up to 29%.

I phoned to remove my Credit Protection from the card as this monthly charge would trigger the 29% rate. The service rep said that many BoA customers are suddenly calling to cancel their Credit Protection.

It’s not new but is standard practice for BoA to jack rates on good customers.
    Here are some links from early 2008:
    “A Credit Card You Want to Toss
    Bank of America abruptly notified cardholders in good standing their rates would skyrocket if they didn’t opt out fast. Is BofA greedy or needy?”
    [www.themoneyblogs.com]
    [www.businessweek.com]

• Coelacanth says:

@IfThenElvis: There was a post about such arbitrary rate increases by BofA due to “market conditions.” It happened somewhere around December to February for a lot of customers.

I suppose they were inspired by Discover, who acted similarly last summer.

37. NikkiSweet says:

@ all the poster saying pay your bills on time…

I moved into a new apartment, in a new city. I obviously couldn’t transfer my new electricity service, because the city I previously lived in had a local co-op power company. I signed up for the same company that my parents use, since they’ve had them for 4 years and never had any issues.

I get my first bill on May 5th… it’s due May 4th. I call and talk to the company about why this happened, and they confirmed that they mailed it out on May 2nd.. however, since they mailed it out before the due date, it’s out of their hands.

I just preemptively pay my electric bill, because I never seem to even get a bill now. I’ve been sent disconnection notices for having a credit on my account (yes… for having a POSITIVE balance on my account, they were going to shut my electricity off…).

I’ve been late through my own fault once… but it’s rather hard to pay your bill when you’re stuck in ICU with a tube down your throat because of an allergic reaction to fish that supposedly wasn’t in the meal I ordered. Unfortunately, nurses don’t seem to understand the hang motions for “give me my laptop” or “give me my cell phone…”

38. A-Consumer-Advocate says:

@Consumerist-Moderator-Roz:

Laserjobs is a troll. He has been making blame the victim posts consistently. He has already been warned. After your response, he is now intentionally trying to be cute and is mocking you.

He has already clearly violated the comment code, so why waste time warning him? Just follow the rules and boot him. We will thank you for it.

• Hogan1 says:

@A-Consumer-Advocate: You do realize that he did have a point with “D*mn it people be responsible for yourself” ?

Ultimately people need to be responsible for their errors. We’re dealing with businesses who are trying to make a profit and will follow their policies and any agreements you signed with them to the letter to do so. Obviously it’s preferred to see them take a pro consumer stance and waive off a fee here or a fee there but it shouldn’t be expected. If they do well…It’s great customer service and they should be commended for it. If they don’t and follow their policy to the letter? Why should they be attacked? Just’t don;t give them your business if you don’t agree with their policy. There are dozens of other businesses that want your money :)

Not referring to this incident at hand, I will add that I’m not a proponent of this “Can’t blame the OP comments” policy. Sometimes consumers make mistakes and sometimes they cold have taken a more effective course of action in trying to resolve their differences with the business. Ultimately I believe the Consumerist is an amazing resource for those who have been rightfully wronged and need help but I don’t think creating rules to encourage a “one-sided” comment environment reflect well on the goal of this site. I believe it is important to educate consumers, even if you have to point out failures and mistakes.

39. yukonrye says:

I was under the impression that a card issuer can raise the rates at any time for any reason.

40. Martin65 says:

I really don’t get HOW anyone can be late on a credit card bill, knowing that it’s like a mouse-trap poised to snap at any moment.
    I know, I know, people move, things happen, but seriously, if you can’t manage the simple process of paying a bill in a manner that makes sure you’re not going to be late, then go over to a site like mint.com and let that be your secretary – they have a pestering feature that, unless you totally cut yourself of from email and phones and web, will remind you LONG before the bill is due. Think of the credit card companies like a ruddy drunk at the bar who is happy to be your buddy until you say some small thing to piss him off and then you’re eating a knuckle sandwich. It’s best not to piss him off in the first place.

41. joel. says:

I’m really surprised companies are this dumb. Well, maybe surprised is the wrong word. But when I was in school as a Communication major, I was always told that a person who has a bad experience will complain to seven people and then they will complain to seven people and so on… But with the internets and stuff these days that figure’s gone astronomical.

But I must say, I think I’m about to pull all of my accounts from BofA.

42. Russs says:

I had chase do it to me 2 times. WAY back in the day with my 1st CC, I sent in my payment early (almost 2 weeks), and they held the payment till after it was due by 2 days. Then insted of a late fee, they counted it a no payment. Of course I didn’t realize this happened until I got my next statement then they had me down for makeing 2 payment the next month. So then my interest was 29.99 and they wouldn’t budge on changing it. Then when I purchased my house 2 years ago, another chase card I had (changed parent companies about 5 times before ending up at chase), changed my interest because I purchased a house. I had a 3k balance on the card (because interest was 2.75%). Their reason, because now I owe too much money with the new house. WTF?!?!? Of course, drop them like a hot rock.

43. meh, all banks pull this shit and it’s not news. Citi yanked my 0% APR and applied a penalty one of like 32% because my min. payment was $0.02 short. Yes, two cents. I paid it off that day and will never do business with anything related to Citi again.

44. hideous says:

I too have been hit by this. I was a customer with BoA for 5 years when this happened. I was never late and always paid more than the minimum. However, within 6 months I was 2 days late on a payment. Set the online bill pay for a Saturday for a bill due on Friday. Then was $1.99 short on a bill that was paid on time. When I called up and asked for leniency, I was denied.

Needless to say, I transferred my balances and closed the account. Haven’t looked back since.

45. A-Consumer-Advocate says:

@Hogan1:

I get your point. Sometimes people post sob stories but at the end of the day it was their fault.

When this is the case, it is okay to point this out in a tactful way and suggest ways to avoid it in the future. It is not okay to say, “its your fault, idiot.”

Besides being rude and repetitive, this does nothing to advance the situation of the consumer. This is a pro-consumer site. Even when a company can legally stick it to a consumer, we’re here to argue for why they should choose not to. There are plenty of posts where the consumer messed up, but we’re here to help them. Saying “haha,” is a waste of everyone’s time.

• Hogan1 says:

@A-Consumer-Advocate:

This is indeed a pro-consumer site but the idea should be to educate and assist consumers, even if you have to point our their mistakes. Ignoring the mistakes or neglecting to point them out isn’t going to benefit the consumer. The key to consumer education is pointing out the problem (including the mistakes they may have made)AND providing advice and information that will benefit them in resolving the issue and also benefit them in the future. This way they’ll know WHY it happened and WHAT they can do. Understanding the problem makes one better able to deal with it.

Obviously trashing the OP or making fun of their situation is COMPLETELY unwarranted and serves no benefit.

(Again, not directed at this story). People don’t learn from not being able to take responsibility for their actions. There is a decent sized potion of the population with a sense of entitlement and/or the idea that their mistakes are not their responsibility. Embrace bad experiences with businesses and look at them for what they are; learning opportunities. It will make you a more adept consumer in the future :)

• mac-phisto says:

@Hogan1: but nobody’s saying IT’S NOT MY FAULT! – not even the OP. he was simply looking for consideration from BOA based on his level of business with the bank & they don’t care.

i know it’s my fault i was late – i don’t need to be reminded. you want me to say it? fine. it’s all my fault. wow. that was…not cathartic at all.

i’m simply astonished that they don’t care. they have no concept of the importance of a long-term, multiple account relationship over short-term fee/interest income.

if the OP succeeds in moving his accounts, they stand to lose thousands of dollars/year for what? a few hundred dollars of short-term income. yeah, that makes sense.

• @mac-phisto:

Upon what information do you base this statement? I didn’t see anything in the story the mentioned how much money he owed on his mortgage or how much credit debt he was carrying, nor is there any other information besides his credit score and his two late payments that gives much context.

Most large institutions have rather sophisticated tools to assess the current and future value of their customers which they use to guide customer relations management activity, including how long you should have to wait in a phone queue and whether you should be encouraged to close your account or incented to keep it open. It is more likely that such data indicated that the OP should be “let go” than it is that the CSR was oblivious to the financial costs to the bank. Or do you think that a financial institution like BoA leaves these matters solely up to the front-line workers’ judgment? That doesn’t make sense.

• Riuski says:

@AtomicPlayboy: I think your assumption that BoA employs sophiscated tools and make those tools available to the front-line workers is too optimistic. Even if the assumption is true, assuming that the peon answering the phone (and probably doesn’t like her job too much due to people yelling at her all the time) utilizes those tools is way too optimistic.

As someone who has worked in customer service, I KNOW FOR A FACT that people only call in when they’re pissed off about one thing or another, not when they’re satisfied, so the level of stress the CSRs face everyday is, well, pretty high. I kept a close eye on how our reps deal with customers, but even then a rep will get away with a bad decision here and there. Generally speaking, the phone reps making ~$15/hr is not going to care much about how much the company makes or loses from their decisions.

• mac-phisto says:

@AtomicPlayboy: i was basing it on interest earned on an average home mortgage ($200,000) for 30 years at 4.75%. over the course of that loan, a bank would earn ~$175,500 in interest payments, which equates to ~$5800/year. obviously, this varies based on how new the OP’s mortgage is, but i’m assuming he bought/refinanced at prime in 2002 (most people did b/c the rates were so low). that would put him 6 years into the loan & his interest payment for 2008 alone would be $17,122.54. he will have paid ~$56,000 in interest thus far, leaving ~$120,000 in uncollected interest on the loan (& numerous future opportunities to sell home loans).

it’s completely an assumption, but it represents an average mortgage, so i think it’s perfectly reasonable to make the statement i did.

46. BadAxe says:

Same experience as the OP here. Thanks for the opportunity to trash them in front of as many people as possible. BoA is predatory and despicable. They care not a whit for their customers. If that’s what you are looking for in a bank, by all means, choose BoA. You won’t be disappointed.

47. 310Drew says:

late is late. End of Story. Weekends do not matter either. Banks & other big companies get mail 7 days a week. The bank does not actually have box at the post office like a person may have, it’s more of a giant bin for the thousands of pieces that show up every day, and the bank sends a box truck to pick up the payments every day, multiple times a day even sometimes.

I’m sure his terms clearly stated if you are late twice within a rolling 12 month period. That is actually the one of the more friendly policies has, for some customers it goes up with one late payment.

With the existence of online banking, automatic payments and even phone payments, there really is no reason to be late, and no reason for you to be wasting stamps.

• coren says:

@310Drew:

Yep, when you know in advance when your bill is and pay late, it’s not the bank’s fault. Plus it’s not the amount of time but the frequency of lateness

48. BofA really is working hard to go bankrupt. Let’s hope they keep at it.

49. QuiteSpunky says:

To all the people on here arguing that because the OP was late this was his fault. I agree. Do you also agree that if someone is convicted for stealing in Nigeria they should have their hand cut off? It is after all, the law there, and thieves should know that before they steal.

My point is that while it is indeed the OPs fault for paying late, the punishment, to my mind at least, does not fit the crime, and to dismiss the situation by saying he should have read the contract is reductive and simplistic. A late fee is one thing. Raising interest rates to 30% on your entire balance (which may very well be thousands of dollars) for a late payment is another. We are living in a time when credit card companies are preying on consumers. Yes, we all need to be responsible and read our contracts, pay our bills on time, etc., but our society and government also should be preventing egregious and extortionary penalties like this against consumers. These two things are not mutually exclusive, despite the many posters here who seem to think so.

• maestrosteve says:

@QuiteSpunky:
      “Do you also agree that if someone is convicted for stealing in Nigeria they should have their hand cut off? It is after all, the law there, and thieves should know that before they steal.”

Don’t compare that situation to someone who pays a credit card bill late, it’s not the same. Paying a credit card bill late is not breaking the law.

You and I are not from that culture, we don’t understand their system of justice, but I’ll tell you this – The thieves there do know about that law, and if that doesn’t deter them, then so be it.

I wonder if someone was stealing from you, if you would want justice, or would you want to sit down with the thieves for a cup of coffee and explain why it’s not right to steal. Anyway, that’s really an argument for another time.

Your original comment doesn’t apply to this situation.

• @QuiteSpunky: You are correct in that the punishment seems disproportionate to the infraction, but remember that this is an issue with a credit card, a completely optional financial instrument. While we may not be thrilled with some of the conditions of credit card agreements, we enter these contracts willingly and shouldn’t complain when – through our own actions – we violate some of their terms. As you say, these companies may be predators, but we freely enter their hunting grounds, and should accept the risks. Extending government power to regulate these companies (beyond the successful efforts to inform customers in very plain language what their responsibilities are) is an abdication of personal responsibility which encourages the type of financial irresponsibility that has caused the current credit meltdown.

@Hogan1: Seconded. I would hate to see Consumerist become an echo chamber for the allegedly aggrieved, rather than remain a balanced venue for discourse on consumer issues. Sure, there are trolls who will senselessly slam OPs, but I’ve seen enough wolf-crying and blame-throwing to believe that skepticism and challenge of the OPs is usually quite warranted and healthy.

50. MelL says:

I can see it either way. While BoA would be better served to use some discretion, the OP is still responsible for getting payment in by the date established, which I assume does not move wildly from month to month.

51. Stile4aly says:

I don’t understand why this is so controversial. A due date is a due date. If you pay after the due date, you are late. He admits he was late twice, which is the trigger for default pricing.

He’s got a good credit score and a lot of money with the bank, but if he was Joe Blow with a 600 score and $20 to his name and was late twice, I doubt we’d all be up in arms.

Here’s a tip: Call your credit cards and set up auto pay for the minimum payment every month. That way, if you forget, or your payment is delayed in the mail then you’re covered. I really screwed myself up with credit cards in college, but this trick has saved me from having another late fee in the last 5 years.

52. MsAnthropy says:

This sucks.

Having had a few near-misses with my bank’s, uh, shall we say inconsistent internet billpay facility, I’m now rather paranoid about sending off a payment in what should be plenty of time, only for it to be credited late and result in late fees and a good ratejacking. Obviously the best way to avoid this happening would be to pay every credit card in full as soon as (if not before!) the statement’s available, but I can’t always do that. What I’ve been doing is to pay the minimum payment immediately the statement cuts, and then I can rest safe in the knowledge that I can send the rest of my intended payment when I damn well please, and if by some freak chance it shows up a day late, no harm done.

It’s worked, so far. I’d much prefer just to be able to rely on my bank’s oh-so-‘convenient’ internet bill pay feature to get payments to their destination within 2-3 days maximum. Surely that’s not too much to ask!?

53. chauncy that billups says:

I’ve gotten a few freebies in my time by claiming I never received my statement. All they do is confirm your address and then usually take off the late fee. It’s usually good at least once per account. If you’re late again though, forget it. (I justify this due to the fact that they seem fine with randomly pushing up my due date without warning, at least 3-4 times per year. If they are going to play dirty to try to screw with my permanent 2.9% rate, then I’m going to play dirty too. and no, I could never run for president.)

54. Riuski says:

Well, this comes into play when a company is so big that it has to have proper procedures for EVERYTHING, and the peons we speak to on the phone are not allowed to make any reasonable decisions without bothering their managers, who are too busy making menial decisions for other peons.

I personally make all my payments online, and I make sure my payments go through at least 2 business days before the due dates. Not that difficult, and BoA has made it easy for me in that regard… Not much sympathy for the OP, but I would take my business somewhere else as well.

55. blazenbu says:

Laserjobs, You must not have a heart with your crass statement. Have YOU actually read all the nonsense that is a credit card agreement?

People make mistakes and consequences are due. However, the credit card industry is one of the few that can change the rules while the ‘game’ is still played.

Have you heard of the Credit Card Holders Bill of Rights pending before congress due to outrageous practices of the banks. The banks are whores and it is people with your ignorant attitude that allowed them to become they way they have.

Universal default, that this guys story falls under, is the worse thing to ever be invented. Remember, the banks get over half of their revenues by late/over-limit fess. It’s about time people become aware of a situation even worse than the mortgage crisis–the credit card sham.

56. lauy says:

@junip:

As a former BofA drone, I can advise BofA has accounts on three platforms. If you move to a state that is on a different platform than your current account, it cannot be linked. The platforms are as follows:

-California
    -Washington and Idaho
    -All other states BofA operates in (called “Model”)

California will always be on its own platform until BofA can figure out a way to merge them onto the Model platform without losing a large number of account holders as is common with platform merges (I recall hearing the figure that 50% of all BofA accounts are on the CA platform). Washington and Idaho will eventually be merged onto Model because the customer base is relatively low and they are willing to lose the customers negatively impacted (most of which already got screwed during the Seafirst merger). The changing of account numbers due to overlap is a major problem when considering platform and bank merges.

Best suggestion of all? Close your accounts at BofA!

57. eprimetime says:

Even if you aren’t a BofA customer, they screw you. I currently do not have a car, my CU is in another town, and my employer uses BofA. Got my paycheck, went to BofA to get it cashed. “That will be a $5 fee since you don’t have an account with us”. BS. Drawn off of their account, and I am penalized because I am not a customer.

screw BofA

58. Geekybiker says:

Wow. This is sad. I’ve paid cards late a couple of times. Mainly because I sent them in a week ahead of time, the postal service mishandled them and they took forever to get there and arrive on a weekend so no entry till past due. It happens. FWIW I think banks should be required by law to stamp mail the day its received to eliminate the whole waiting to process it BS. Its not my fault they won’t process payments on certain days. They had the check by the date if they chose to cash it.

59. Rogier says:

Bank of America are nasty assclowns. I got rid of my BofA credit card a few months ago after one screw job too many. See
    [www.bakelblog.com] and [www.bakelblog.com]

• mac-phisto says:

@Rogier: i think this particular quote from your blog represents my feelings quite poetically:

The hubris and the self-sabotage are breathtaking. Since when is deliberately screwing your loyal customers a better long-term proposition than serving them?

60. varro says:

I got the “change of terms” letter as one of those “important amendments” that usually involves some extremely technical change to the credit protection agreement.

They’re getting a certified letter rejecting the change. I don’t trust them to not misplace or ignore a regular mailed letter.

61. millertime1211 says:

Here is something they dont tell you. I found this out the hard way after my rate was jacked from 7% to 29% by chase. You can refuse the rate increase and close your account at the old rate. Then either continue to pay off your card at the lower rate or transfer the balance to a new company.

62. What this really should be is a sign of how poorly BofA is doing financially. They are looking to make increase their revenue from credit card financing to make up for all of the $hit loans they bought from Country Wide. Look for BofA to be on the FDIC watch list soon. Not that the FDIC makes such information public.

63. friedduck says:

@laserjobs: these people ARE being responsible, and that’s the point. When a company takes some capricious action after an individual faithfully upholds his end of the bargain, that’s irresponsible behavior.

You’ll note that many of these cardholders incurred the debts many years before these terms and practices were introduced, and that any two customers behaving the same way may be treated differently.

The first act of personal responsibility should be not doing business with a company that’s whose goal is to take advantage of you.

• Hogan1 says:

@friedduck: I hate to bring this up but you are saying they are responsible for not paying on time? The thing about any story is that we only hear the facts the OP gives to Consumerist. What if there was another event that contributed to the rise? Maybe there is more to the story?

64. bsjone says:

BofA hasn’t changed my interest rate, but they did just send me a letter stating that they do periodic checks of credit reports and based on the fact that I currently have a high balance to credit ratio on other cards (not theirs mind you) they have decided to adjust my credit limit. They cut my credit limit in half, thus making my credit ratio with them to go over 75%. I have never had a late payment with them and use the card on a regular basis. I have been a good customer of theirs. Now, because my family has had set backs this year due to layoffs and had to use our OTHER credit cards more than we’d like, my credit rating will be affected because BoFa is perpetuating the very thing that caused their letter in the first place. Meanwhile, the other credit card companies continue to raise my limits because they like the interest.

65. jfonseca says:

The same thing happened to me but with Chase. I was using the CC heavily while doing some repairs to my home and I managed to go over my limit twice but only by a few dollars. Both times I payed the balance down immidiately but my rate got jacked up to %29.99. They refused to reinstate my old rate so I just closed my account and transferred the balance to another company. Although I know I should have been more careful, my bill was always paid on time. Just doesn’t seem like a smart way to do business. I will NEVER do business with chase again.

66. vastrightwing says:

This guy got a big discount. BoA charged me 31% for the same thing! …and people still use BoA because…?

Note that BoA will force you to pay a higher interest rate on the full balance but if you negotiate a lower rate, the lower rate will only be for future purchases.

67. BrandonAbell says:

Saying that people deserve to get sent into financial ruin because of being a little late with a payment is daft. . . It’s no better than saying that I deserved to get shot by the guy with road rage because I honked my horn at him. “I should have known,” right? Late fees and “penalties” need to have some reasonable basis, and really aren’t supposed to be arbitrary or punishing. They’re supposed to have some relationship with the costs incurred to the person that got flaked on by the debtor. A contract clause that says “if you’re late by a day on this $5 loan, then I get to take your house” is not reasonable. Charging an extra buck for the inconvenience is. Depending on your credit card debt load, these late payment penalties are the equivalent of the financial death penalty; easily throwing somebody who may have had one or two hard months into bankruptcy.

Seriously, according to your trolls, being a loan shark is A-OK, right? Or am I missing your point?

• maestrosteve says:

@BrandonAbell:
      “Late fees and “penalties” need to have some reasonable basis, and really aren’t supposed to be arbitrary or punishing. They’re supposed to have some relationship with the costs incurred to the person that got flaked on by the debtor. A contract clause that says “if you’re late by a day on this $5 loan, then I get to take your house” is not reasonable.”

Nobody ever lost a house being late on a $5 loan.
      Show me where that happened. That’s nonsense.

Late fees and penalties ARE supposed to be punishing.
      What fantasy world are you living in?

68. maestrosteve says:

I’m kind of amazed at how many people think it’s OK to be late with a payment, even if it’s an hour or 3 days late.

I’m even more amazed, in this forum where we read complaints about every discount store, bank, etc., that people think they can get even with their bank by changing to another bank and then everything will be fine. You are kidding yourself.
    Just try being late at the new bank and see if you get treated better. As a general rule, you know you won’t. They make it serious business when it comes to getting paid back on time after you’ve used their money. Does this surprise you?

You know the rules. Borrow, and pay back on time. No late fees or raised finance charges.

If there is one thing I really agree with, it’s that the banks should stamp when the payment was received instead of when it was processed, because not doing that could cause payments to be late by a few days. Personally, I avoid that by paying online, but I can see why that would be important to many people.

• hangman16 says:

@maestrosteve:

Be careful with paying online too – some institutions like to play games with when you initiate a payment and when it actually posts. I’ve learned that the hard way. I pay everything way early now to be safe, but when I was a student I was scraping together money to pay bills up until the last possible moment – only to get screwed over by my payment ‘pending’ for days at a time.

69. hangman16 says:

I had this happen to me. Yes, I admit, I was late by 1 day twice within a 6 month period.

Second time I blame on Bank of America’s stupid online bill pay system. My bill was due on a Sunday so I paid on a Friday. Unfortunately I missed the cutoff time and was informed my payment wouldn’t be posted until the next business day (Monday). So even though I initiated the payment 2 days before it was due it ended up posting a day late. Whatever happened to companies giving you a grace period until the next business day if something is due on a non-business day?

Both times I had the late fee removed after talking to customer service, but I guess they still considered it late. Hello 29.99% interest rate. 2 more paychecks and I’ll have my remaining balance paid off and never use this card again.

70. coach02740 says:

Twice in the last 3 years I was late on submitting payment for a bill, and Bunch of Assholes (BoA) tried sticking me with late fees. I emailed their CS and bitched like mad about how long I’d been a customer, that Bunch of Assholes should be ashamed of their pathetic little policy designed for sticking it to little guys & gals, etc and that if the fees weren’t removed, that I’d leave. Their responses both times were satisfactory; the fees were removed.

71. DrRonster says:

I paid my credit card in full online 2 days before the statement date and
    got a late fee charge of $39. Anyways Chase never saw anything like that
    and couldn’t explain it and immediately credited the card. Since then I
    have had 2 Purchase finance charges and they reversed those as well, as well
    as reversing 1 a second time. I play the rewards games with several cards
    and never carry a balance.

72. Tkat says:

I was a DAY late because of them actually and they jacked it up to 29.99% for 6 months.

I moved from NJ to Cali and BOAs banks are not connected. so when I was making deposits…I had to wait an extra 2 days before they cleared. So I had to open an account here in LA.

Well because it took 24 hours to move everything, the payment went out late. I got fined and I called them and I pretty much was given the same answer.

Because of that rate, 6 months of payments went straight to interest and I still had a huge fucking bill. (3k for me is huge)

I am moving all my accounts to another bank as soon as I can find one I know won’t screw me or close down in the next 2 yrs.

73. Fist-o™ says:

Play with snakes, Get Bitten.

Credit cards are snakes.

Fist-o, DEBT FREE AS OF THIS WEEK!!!

74. Darkkeyboard says:

Not the poster.

I should mention to all those “Use a bank card” types, that there are people out there who will not take a debit card. A couple of weeks ago, I rented a car. They guy wanted 2 forms of ID and 2 forms of bills to use a bank card. I didn’t know they need that, until I got there. I used my credit card instead, and they didn’t even ask me for ID. And I’ve seen some places around here that don’t like Debit cards, which is their choice- but kinda screws people who don’t use credit cards- or can’t get them.

And I’m not just talking enough money for a meal. I’m talking like computer stores, or high ticket items.

75. Anonymous says:

I just had a problem with Bank of America and a payment the stated was returned for insufficient funds. Since the money was in my account at my bank, I asked my bank why the payment was denied. My bank said no payment request was submitted by Bank of America. Since it was an electronic payment, I had the electronic payment number. It turns out, The payment request was sent to an account I had closed and removed from the BofA payments account listed for my card in 2006! When I called BofA, I went throught the whole process, name,card number, last 4 digits of SSN, birthdate to verify who I was. When I asked how the old checking account number could have been added without any email or verification, I was put on hold and eventually sent back to the main menu, where againa and again I went throught the verification of who I was. On the 5th time of getting a Cs rep, I informed him that if I was put on hold, I would be contacting my lawyer and filing a lawsuit. I re-verified who I was and explained again why I was calling and the rep informed me that I had changed my checking account to the old one on Dec. 27th, 2008. I asked how could anyone add a payment account without BofA sending any kind of verification request since I had had to supply several forms to prove who I was. He stated that his records showed I had done it. I asked again how could that be and why was there no verification letter or email to actually prove it was a valid request since I am the only authorized user. He then went silent for about 1 minute and then said “the system must have reset itself” Hmmmmmmmmmm, reset itself? Does that mean it will reset itself with the charges or balances before other payments were made. I asked how could any bank be so messed up that something like this could happen. He wiped out all of the fees ($79 another rip-off) but that doesnt remove the late payment from showing on my credit history. Sorry is all he could say, yeah that makes it all better, sorry, say, I’m sorry, I made a mistake with the next payment and moved the decimal point to the left, bet that results in another late fee. Can I bill them say $39 for stupidity, $39 for my time waiting on the phone and $39 for the time by banks rep spent trying to find out why the BofA payment didnt show up? NO WAY, I cant charge them for a dime even though the mistake was 100% theirs.