SONY Recalls 440,000 Vaios

Sony recalled 440,000 Vaio TZ laptops today due to a faulty wiring issue. The recall affects models made between May 2007 and July 2008 in the VAIO VGN-TZ100 series, VGN-TZ200 series, VGN-TZ300 series and VGN-TZ2000 series. Consumers owning one of these laptops are advised to stop using and call (888) 526-6219 or go to sony.com/support to determine if their computers are included in the recall.

Sony Recalls Notebook Computers Due to Burn Hazard [CPSC]

Comments

1. Coles_Law says:

I can see Sony’s press release now:

“Most people don’t even know what a burn hazard is, so why should they care about it?”

2. Hedgy2136 says:

Looks like I win this time. Yay! But Sony says my address doesn’t exist. Oh, well.

3. stupidjerk says:

nice to see a computer company recalling faulty products before things start to explode

4. kushkm says:

I support Sony’s decision to their recall. Many other manufacturers like Gateway and Acer will put products out on the market, and not recall if them if there is safety hazard. Luckily, Sony has good quality control, maybe it is worth to pay the extra premium.

5. inno says:

Umm the CPSC website says it’s 73,000 units not 440,000…

6. pavelgigov says:

Their own website dedicated to this problem [esupport.sony.com] doesn’t work. And i’ve been on hold already for 45 minutes and no one has even picked up the phone.

This is f*cking ridiculous!

7. Canino says:

Step 1: Stop using laptop
    Step 2: go to sony.com/support

Makes sense to me…

8. savvy999 says:

Damn, my Vaio model is not included. Total lemon anyways. Been totally replaced 3 times by Sony, now the DVD burner no longer works, although it’s out of warranty.

I would never, ever recommend anyone ever buying a Vaio.

9. kairi2 says:

My Vaio is overheating, but it’s not on the recall list. It’s also 3+ years old, which is way longer than any of my 3 previous HP notebooks have lasted. So I would recommend a Vaio any day. If I could pronounce it right.