Starbucks has apparently reinvented its breakfast menu to include healthier foods such as “hot oatmeal, an energy bar and a whole-grain apple bran muffin with fruit pieces.” Sounds… fiberlicious. [USAToday]

Comments

1. seawolf2000 says:

maybe if the prices were more in line with my budget, like say under a dollar, then I would get breakfast at SBX

2. LoriLynn says:

Three words: Spinach Feta Wrap

Yum.

And not too horrible according to the nutrition information on their site.

3. marsneedsrabbits says:

Will Wilford Brimley be making an appearance?

4. MercuryPDX says:

Of course you know what this means…
    The “Ghetto Latte” has competition.

5. Gopher bond says:

And I used to pick out the charms from Lucky Charms to make a super duper all-marshmallow Lucky Charms cereal.

My sister always got stuck with boring pieces and didn’t figure out Lucky Charms was supposed to have more marshmallows until she was in her teens.

6. tcolberg says:

Well, I think this helps differentiate themselves from other products for the breakfast market. Before it was overpriced, bitter coffee with overpriced, junk breakfast food; now it’s overpriced, bitter coffee and marginally healthy breakfast fare.

Starbucks’ breakfast is now differentiated from the once similar, but junky McDonald’s breakfast.

7. I dunno about that apple bran muffin. One day I was checking calories on the Starbucks breakfast items and their regular bran muffin clocked in at a staggering 470 calories. Of course, the piece of banana walnut bread I had bought earlier that day wasn’t much better at 420 calories.

If they can get some of their items around the same 160 calories of my packet of instant oatmeal (and I’m not buying oatmeal from Starbucks), then I might be a bit more tempted to stop by Starbucks in the morning for breakfast to add a little variety.

And yes, I’ve become one of those annoying calorie-counting people that I used to mock. I’m ashamed.

8. snoop-blog says:

Fiber and coffee, the stuff colons dream of…

9. csdiego says:

I’ve never been a fan of Starbucks (I love coffee, but it doesn’t love me) but I’d actually go there for hot oatmeal. The apple-bran muffin sounds good too, provided it’s not a super-sweet caloric nightmare.

10. Bozman8 says:

I’m not sure how it is elsewhere, but in NYC, Starbucks is required by law to list the calorie content of their foods. I would bet their food sales plummeted with this change. I know that I get some “sticker shock” when I see 600 calorie cookies.

• Claystil says:

@Bozman8: I worked at Starbucks for about a month. Learning the nutrition facts of the stuff they sell is one of many reasons I’ll not again be a Starbucks customer. That and the companies policies of lying to both its customers about coffee.

11. badhatharry says:

Coffee and oatmeal and a bran muffin? All at once? That’s enough to make someone make a twosie right in the middle of the shop.

12. bohemian says:

I just wish Sbux would make just one baked good that is wheat free.

• purplesun says:

@bohemian: It would be horribly contaminated even if they did, I suspect, at least as far as those of us with intolerance are concerned.

Before I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I occasionally picked up breakfast on the way to work because I was hungry and it tasted good. Breakfast is the easiest meal of the day to make, in my opinion, so, if I’m going to overspend on it, I’ve always felt it better be something I can’t justify whipping up myself between my shower and putting my shoes on.

I’ve never counted calories. Nobody really wants to eat a tasteless high-fiber muffin, do they? Sure, it’s the healthy choice on paper, but, personally, if I’m going to waste money on food, I’m more likely to waste it on high-calorie omelet wraps with cheese, or some other such nonsense. Oatmeal would not appeal to me at Starbucks (even if I could eat it). I would feel like I was getting ripped off for even considering buying it.

Again, it’s just a matter of moderation where bad food is concerned. That’s what everyone wants, though. I doubt this menu will go any smoother for Starbucks than the last, due to the sheer cost.

Mmm… but speaking of breakfast foods… I have a hankering for some spicy “LOVE” migas now. Gah. Off to Magnolia Cafe I go for something truly delicious and horrendously unhealthy! *drools*

• marsneedsrabbits says:

@bohemian:

I do, too (Celiac here, too) but I wouldn’t trust that they would always change gloves or use totally different tongs or whatever.

It’d be cool if places like Starbuck’s carried Larabars or something for Celiacs and those who have wheat allergies.

Celiac alone, not counting allergies, affects about 1 in 100 people, so they lose a lot of business when we don’t go and our families or co-workers don’t go because we can’t.

I can’t tell you the number of times we’ve gone to Outback Steakhouse and a few other places – where we never really went before I was diagnosed, because the have GF menus and go out of their way to make us welcome.

@purplesun:
      I’ve never heard of Spicy Migas before your post, but I just found a recipe & they look delicious. We’re having them for dinner tomorrow night. Thanks for the new dish :)

• purplesun says:

@marsneedsrabbits: Migas are very much an Austin thing. They didn’t start here, but we adopted them as our own. And boy are they tasty!

I’m glad you’re getting to try it out! I make them for breakfast on the weekends every now and then… Dinner, too! Enjoy!