Costco Helps You Deck The Halls… In August

Reader Darascon spotted this lovely example of summertime Christmas Creep at his local Costco.

Was walking through my local Gaithersburg, MD Costco shopping for my 55 gal drum of mayo when I spotted the creep. Now America’s cries for 100 yard bolts of wrapping paper and 50 yard rolls of ribbon have been answered. Forgive the somewhat craptastic photo, was taken with my cell.

You are forgiven, of course. It’s the Christmas Spirit in us, we guess.

Spotted some Christmas Creep? Send us your photos at tips@consumerist.com.

Comments

1. timmus says:

It sure looks Christmasy on top of that pallet. Those bleak Soviet cubbyholes make me pine for the yuletide spirit.

2. Costco puts out EVERY seasonal product early. This way, if you’re buying things for a store you own, you will have it in time.

3. Jacquilynne says:

A big part of Costco’s target market, though, isn’t consumers but small business owners. If you’re a small business owner who plans on reselling some of that stuff — perhaps using it to make gift baskets or the like — then you’re going to need a supply laid in well before normal Christmas sales season.

4. spoco says:

I agree- this is actually one that makes sense.

5. rport says:

So really Costco is just ENABLING the Christmas Creep….

6. BoomhauerTX says:

And I thought it was weird to see Halloween items out already at my local Costco.

7. Hedgy2136 says:

I was disghusted the other day visiting my local Hobby Lobby (I already know it was covered). Not so much because they had a boat load of Christmas stuff out, but because they only had an end cap devoted to haloween.

8. robocop is bleeding says:

And if you look really close at some of that paper, it reads “Merry Christmas, 2011!”

• startertan says:

@robocop_is_bleeding: Yeah but what if Jesus comes back in 2010 and abolishes Xmas…then the jokes on them!

Besides, if you live in MD you know that Gaithersburg is always ahead of it’s time! I haven’t noticed any creep up in Baltimore but who knows, I’ll start paying more attention. Besides, I still have yards of Xmas paper left over from last year and I stocked up on lights after Xmas. 50% off lights FTW!!!

9. Jabberkaty says:

Can we just enjoy the scraps of summer? I live in Maine, I don’t very much of it – I’ll have plenty of snow when the time comes.

10. MaytagRepairman says:

That does it! New tradition at my house. I’m putting the Christmas tree up on Labor Day!

11. dragonfire81 says:

My dear grandmother always has most of her Christmas shopping DONE by the end of October!

Christmas creep may on the one hand be sucky, but for people with the foresight and inclination to beat the crowds and get everything done ahead of time, they can be helpful.

• nicemarmot617 says:

@dragonfire81: Do most people really buy Christmas-themed items for gifts? Do they want to buy their Christmas tree and ornaments in September? Do they want to hear carols in October? That’s what Christmas creep is. Buying your presents early is just personal preference.

• Dyscord says:

@nicemarmot617: Some people DO want to buy their stuff early. And I never hear caroling in october, if I did, it would be nuts.

All I see the christmas creep as is people buying decorations and stuff early. It’s not going to be less hellish when the season officially starts after thanksgiving and all the sales happen.

@harvey_birdman_attorney_at_law: It’s not as if the same people are buying decorations every year. Perhaps you didn’t have many decorations last year and you want to buy more like me and my wife. Perhaps your old decorations are worn out. Or perhaps you’re the type that actually does throw away all the little stuff year after year.

But again, all I’m seeing is decorations out early. When I see them doing christmas sales in September, then I’ll complain. That will kill the season, not this. However for every person that does their shopping early, about 100 people will wait until after thanksgiving.

12. Costco has explained the holiday creep in the magazine they send to their business card holders. It’s due to their cycle and that of their business customers. Mine right now has Halloween decor and candy, thankfully not out in the middle but tucked down a side aisle.

Love Costco.

13. pgh9fan says:

I wonder how long it will take for “Christmas creep” to actually lap Christmas. Since it’s getting earlier every year there’s got to come a time where, for example, Christmas 2015 products will appear on the shelves in November 2014.

Also, why no Hanukkah creep?

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

Also, why no Hanukkah creep?

@pgh9fan: Someone on customerssuck.com said that two of the reasons Christmas stuff goes out so early is because 1) they get too much of it to keep it all in storage and 2) it’s way too much stuff to try to put out at the same time. So some of it starts showing up on shelves early to make room and make less work for themselves the day after Thanksgiving.

I’ve never seen a store overloaded with Hanukkah stuff so I guess neither of those reasons apply to Hanukkah stock.

@LiquidGravity: I dunno, this year we’ve actually been getting explanations for it in the comments. Knowing that there’s a logical explanation for some of it makes me less cranky.

14. coan_net says:

I say the same thing with every early Christmas story.

People MUST be buying this stuff.

… if not, it is simple – the stores would not be selling it this early.

• springboks says:

@coan_net: I agree with your position. Not only are people buying these early x-mas items. I’m guessing the “haha I’ll beat the rush crowd”. Also look at the stores that have this early x-mas stuff, they’re opportunists Walgreens with the wrapping paper and Costco. After they shrink their back to school isles, it’s logical to fill the spaces with these early Christmas things. I wish they would market more halloween stuff at this time, but even that doesn’t seem logical. Summer is killed off way to early.

15. harvey_birdman_attorney_at_law says:

Why would anyone buy this kind of crap anyway? I could understand buying the Christmas gifts early so as to budget things and get it out of the way, but why would you buy Christmas decorations every year? Don’t you people already have this stuff in boxes from last year? Do you just throw out the decorations when you’re done with them? Not very intelligent. Seems a reasonable person would save some of this Christmas crap in a storage box and reuse it from year to year instead of buying new crap from China every year.

16. I don’t know what I hate more each year seeing Christmas Creep or seeing stories of Christmas Creep.

17. RandomHookup says:

Of course, with Xmas overload, we now see that Christmas is pretty much over by 3 pm on December 25th. None of this 12 Days of Christmas crap for us. It ends up making the Catholics look silly for just starting to sing Christmas carols and everyone else has moved on to (St.)Valentine’s Day.

18. UnicornMaster says:

I think as the retailers drag out the Christmas season to increase revenue, the opposite may occur. That people get so sick of it they stop shopping 2 weeks before Christmas.

19. Orv says:

Does this mean the angry editorials about the “War on Christmas” will come out early, too?

20. dohtem says:

And I thought it was bad when I saw Halloween stuff on shelves last weekend at the store.

21. mariospants says:

Um… I mentioned Costco stocking these puppies last week. Should I have sent a picture? I guess I should have.

I live north of where most civilized people live (Canukia) and while yes, it’s hot and sunny now, in 2-3 months, there WILL be snow. Wish we could put a kibosh on THAT.

22. FLConsumer says:

I protest Christmas Creep the best way I know how — buying the junk the day AFTER Christmas and getting it for 50-75% off.

23. Hongfiately says:

I went to Tom Thumb the other day and didn’t see a single ‘Happy Birthday Jesus’ cake in the bakery.

24. Donathius says:

AFAIK Costco has always done stuff like this. I worked there one summer and the merchandising manager told me that they typically start stocking items ~3 months ahead of season. So you could find yourself a nice swimsuit for the summer in March for example. That’s just their general rule – keep the merchandise about 3 months ahead.

25. Starfury says:

I was at Lowe’s yesterday and they have a huge Halloween display set up and it’s not September yet. I’m sure that the Christmas stuff will be out soon.

26. theblackdog says:

Oh dammit, why did this have to be in Maryland?

Costco, you’re actually giving me something to complain about when it comes to your stores.

27. kairi2 says:

I would just like to enjoy fall, please. Maybe even Halloween. It’s not like I’m asking for Thanksgiving or anything.

28. oregongal says:

HoHoHo I don’t care if Costco puts out Christmas stuff in May lol. In my world they are aces :D … of course the fact that we are FINALLY getting one in our area only makes me happier. Costco is MY Christmas present!!!

29. BiZarRroBALlmeR says:

Where are the valentines?

30. AgentTuttle says:

This is tiring me out, but here I go again:
    Consumers for Christ!
    Consumers for Christ!
    Consumers for Christ!
    Consumers for Christ!
    Consumers for Christ!

31. justcatie says:

I saw xmas in a Dollar Tree in Texas today. It was in the 90’s and they’re selling snowman gift boxes!

And I thought I was odd for putting up my tree on Thanksgiving.

32. Con Seannery says:

This one makes a little bit of sense, I mean, it IS a little early yet even for Costco, but because they sell to businesses, it’s very understandable.

33. Marshfield says:

someone already commented on this two weeks ago on another christmas creep article:

[consumerist.com]

34. RedwoodFlyer says:

Costco actually had a great explanation for this awhile back..

Some key highlights:

-As has been mentioned, for the sake of resellers

-Since they can’t really afford clearance sales and such, they want to insure that they get everything sold before the holidays are done

-They use what would otherwise be downtime in factories which make seasonal merchandise

The whole article, along with a calendar of “The seasons of Costco” are at

[www.costcoconnection.com]