Charter And Big Ten Network Decide To Play Nice

Reader Jon tells us that he got a call from Charter Cable letting him know that they’d just inked a deal to offer the Big Ten Network and sure enough, the AP is reporting what may be considered “peace in our time.”

The multiyear deal announced Wednesday allows the St. Louis-based cable company to carry the network’s programming throughout Big Ten territory, including systems in Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and northern Illinois.

Charter spokesman John Miller says the network will be included in Charter’s expanded basic level of service for the upcoming Big Ten sports season. After that, Miller says the company will re-evaluate the best place for the channel.

Charter strikes deal with Big Ten Network [Chicago Tribune]

Comments

1. ViperBorg says:

Meh.

2. ViperBorg says:

Meh. I’ve never really seen the attraction to the “Big Ten”.

3. coan_net says:

too late. Most everyone I know who wanted the Big Ten Channel have already left Charter (and others who delayed getting it) and upgraded to DirecTV.

4. BrianDaBrain says:

DISH Network was on board with them very quickly, which was fantastic for me. Their programming (assuming you are a Big Ten fan, of course) is far better than anything ESPN carries. I just wish they carried more high profile games. Eh.

• @BrianDaBrain: Well, the high profile games are still going to be the dominion of ABC/ESPN per their contract with the Big 10. The network serves more to ensure that the lower-profile schools are on tv rather than to make sure big UM/OSU/PSU games are televised. Those teams’ big games are almost assuredly going to be on tv with or without a Big Ten Network. But Indiana and Northwestern on the other hand…

5. axiomatic says:

If only there was this series of tubes where broadcast media could be downloaded for free shortly after the program originally aired….

6. zigziggityzoo says:

Didn’t really matter for me, as I’m a student/employee of Michigan, which is always on the bigger than ten networks anyway.

7. CMU_Bueller says:

Great, now I’ll probably lose a meaningful channel on my cable so they can add this.

8. Great, I can watch Minnesota get massacred on the road now.

9. karmaghost says:

Nice, everybody’s starting to play nice with the Big Ten Network, even Comcast! Now if I can only get Comcast to play nice with my local CBS station so I can get CBS shows in HD, damn it.

10. nybiker says:

I share CMU_Bueller’s concern about losing a channel. The good folks at DirecTV love to jerk us around by moving channels around. One day you’re watching Fox Movie Channel and the next day it’s on a higher (as in costs me more greenbacks) level.
    Of course, since I didn’t go to what one would call a sports powerhouse of a college, I never developed any attachment to any college teams. Of course, I should also say that even while I was at Pace University, I didn’t attend any games. I was so clueless about the team I didn’t know why there were dogs on my college ring. A couple of years later it hit me: The team name is Pace Setters. The dogs were Irish Setters. Yeah, color me blind. /sorry I think I went a little OT.

11. eirrom says:

AMEN! I just mentioned yesterday that I live in Madison and I was not going to be able to see the Akron game due to Charter. Can’t believe they came through for me.

Now all I need is the NFL Network and I’ll be happy. I know Charter is looking out for me, keeping my prices low :(

12. eirrom says:

I’m so happy. Finally I have the BTN. My friends who have satellite had it last year and were rubbing my face it in. I could not believe living in Madison that I didn’t have the channel.

All I need now is the NFL Network. I realize it is no Lifetime Network, but I will enjoy it anyway!

13. lostsynapse says:

My mom claims that the Big Ten Channel has been on Comcast in her part of southern Michigan for the last two weeks.

14. ganzhimself says:

I hope they can get it broadcasing before the Wisconsin game on Saturday morning!!!

15. 6a says:

Time Warner here in Ohio finally announced a deal to carry the network as well. And there was much rejoicing in Buckeyeville.

16. magic8ball says:

I thought the big issue wasn’t only whether they would offer the BTN, but also whether they would make everyone pay more for it.

• zlionsfan says:

@magic8ball: Yep, and that’s what delayed its inclusion in everyone else’s lineup … the Big Ten wanted it as low (tier-wise) as possible, most cable/satellite providers wanted it as high as possible, and I’m sure we can all picture how cable and satellite providers negotiate. Now, couple that with the approach of one of the two entities that held off the BCS for so long, and will continue to forestall playoffs for the same amount of time … whoops, back on topic.

I don’t think the problem is going to be where BTN fits. It’s going to be where all of the networks and their alternate channels will fit. I would guess that in a couple of years, the other big conferences will have their own networks. It won’t be a block quite the size of the FSN/CSN channels, but it’ll be pretty big, and where will it be found?

Yes, I am a sports nut, and I’d love to have channels from the ACC, Big East, Big 12, Pac-10, and SEC … that’s one of the things I like about the Sports Pack on DirecTV, being able to watch random games from other conferences on Saturdays. I just don’t think it’ll work out that way.

17. kelleygard says:

don’t worry – i’m sure they’ll find something new to complain about in college towns across the midwest.

18. gatewaytoheaven says:

And this is why you should root for the Pac 10.

19. ganzhimself says:

The BTN is broadcasting on Charter here in lovely Stevens Point, WI on channel 74. I didn’t think they would pull it off…

20. robotstilliam says:

I don’t know what to do right now… I just got back from a summer living down with my Father in Las Vegas (I live in Reno). I had called Charter at the very beginning of summer, asking them to stop my service, and I would renew it at the end of summer. The CSR supposedly stopped my service, but when I get back and pick up my mail from the summer from the post office, There is a large stack of bills from charter. I’m now without internet (writing this from a friends place) and television. I’m a bit peeved, and am not sure what path to take here. Any suggestions? And is there any chance of this getting solved soon and without me having to pay for the summer i wasn’t even there.?