Wendy's: You Will Have Your Burger With Toppings Or You Will Get Nothing

Reader Brandon goes to Wendy’s about once a week and usually orders the double stack “plain” as in “without toppings, just meat and cheese.” This fairly straightforward request has never caused a problem… until now. Brandon says that he and some friends stopped in to Wendy’s to grab some food, but when he ordered his usual order, they refused to give it to him. Nothing Brandon could say convinced Wendy’s to give him a double stack with no toppings, so he and his friends eventually gave up and left empty handed.

Brandon says:

I know a fast food restaurant is not a place that I should expect to receive excellent customer service, but when an employee treats me completely illogically, I just cannot ignore it. An employee at Wendy’s this past weekend refused to serve my double stack plain (with no toppings) and stated that it was their policy that they had to serve it the way it comes (with toppings) for that particular sandwich. The straw that broke the camel’s back was that she told me that the double stack was the only sandwich that had such rules for its preparation. A more detailed account is provided below in my letter to the Wendy’s feedback site:

“Let me first preface my experience by saying that prior to this experience, Wendy’s was hands down my favorite fast food restaurant. I likely visit Wendy’s once a week and have never had a bad experience until my most recent visit to this store in Baton Rouge, LA.

Three friends and I arrived at the restaurant around 1:00 to get some lunch. Ordering first, I asked for a double-stack plain. After the cashier entered my request into the computer, the lady next to her who prepares the sandwiches interrupted and said that the double stack does not come “plain” (meat and cheese only) as I had requested, to which the cashier agreed. I stood there befuddled and asked the employee if she could simply refrain from putting lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise on my sandwich and serve it with meat and cheese only. She told me that she could not, as it was the policy that you have to get a double stack the way it comes (with toppings) and that it was the only sandwich on the menu with such rules. The double stack is my sandwich of choice and I order it every time I go to Wendy’s and have always been able to get it served “plain.” After a pointless discussion of a minute or so of trying to figure out why she could not make the sandwich plain, I left the store with my friends, all of us in a state of disbelief as to the sheer ridiculousness of the situation.

Aside from the fact that I have been successful countless times in ordering a double stack plain, it is actually more cost effective for the restaurant to serve it plain, retaining the cost of the toppings that I did not want. Such poor customer service not only was an insult to me as a customer, but gave the illusion that Wendy’s sandwiches are pre-packaged and not able to be changed according to the customer’s wishes. Hopefully this is an isolated incident of poor employee training at this one location, but I can assure you that it will forever tarnish my opinion of the Wendy’s franchise. Burger King’s “have it your way” campaign just became much more appealing.”

In hindsight I know I should have asked for the manager who I can only hope would have been more reasonable than this employee, but I was so confused and angry by the whole situation that I just left. Let’s be honest: after causing a small scene at a Wendy’s, chances become pretty good that my food will either be spit in or worse. I’d rather just go somewhere else. I normally don’t get very worked up about stuff like this, but this was just such a stupidly unnecessary situation that I’ve been telling everyone I know. Because I didn’t actually buy anything, I realize I should not expect Wendy’s to offer me anything, but I am very interested to see what their response is. They promised to contact me within two business days.

All we ever order at Wendy’s is that spicy chicken sandwich (yum), so we have no idea what the rules might be about burger toppings, but we can’t see any reason why “plain” wouldn’t be a valid way to eat your burger. What if you were allergic to pickles or onions or whatever?

We think Wendy’s should send you some free burger coupons or one of those weird red wigs from the commercials or something. The whole story is just bizarre. Kudos to you for not throwing a fit and telling the Wendy’s employee to hold the toppings between her knees.

(Photo: mbeldyk )

Comments

1. What if you were allergic to pickles or onions or whatever?
    That’s what I would have told them. Or even better, to use their own advertising against them, said I was a “Meat-aterian”, and can only eat beef, beef products(cheese), and things fed to beef(grain, and thus bread). Let them say that their ads on TV are wrong.

2. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

I always order that at Wendy’s, but without the cheese or mayo & extra pickles.
    I do the same at McDonald’s with the double cheeseburger, but without the cheese.

I’m saving them money when I don’t get the cheese, so just how stupid are the people running that Wendy’s in Baton Rouge?

Oh, I answered my own question, it’s Louisiana!

3. VA_White says:

I got kicked out of an AAFES snack bar for ordering an Early Bird without egg. The manager of the snack bar later came to my office and apologized saying the employee overstepped her bounds when she kicked me out and said that yes, you can in fact order an Early Bird without egg. And I got a coupon for a free one.

I think if there isn’t a button for it on the pictoral map on the register, the burger jockeys believe it doesn’t exist.

4. AI says:

Since when is the classic double cheeseburger called a double stack?

5. Werrick says:

This is bizarre…

As a matter of fact, Wendy’s is the ONE place that I go to because I know that I can get a burger with no ketchup, just for the asking.

This has got to be a one-time thing… I’ve never had any trouble. But that being said, I think it’s pretty clear that the staff at that particular Wendy’s needs to be spanked and/or trained and/or fired.

6. uhohsmmoreo says:

It almost sounds like they were being jerks just for the sake of causing a customer discomfort. The only item on the menu, coincidentally? I don’t buy it.

7. ung says:

Not to be a Wendy’s apologist but I would bet that Wendy’s sees the double stack as a loss leader that is only on the menu to compete with McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger. They would rather you order one of the standard burgers instead. In this case Wendy’s should just suck it up and give the customer what they want.

8. friendlynerd says:

I’ve never, at Wendys, McDonalds, or even Checkers had trouble ordering with modifications.

I detest mayo and I order everything without it. Granted sometimes they put it on anyway, but they don’t argue with me about it and always correct the error if I point it out.

9. B says:

I guess Wendy’s will be changing their motto to Special orders DO upset us.

10. pb5000 says:

Dave Thomas must be rolling in his grave, sad day indeed.

I bet they were trying to sell you one from a recently canceled order? You called them out on it and they felt the need to stand their ground.

11. semanticantics says:

I’m a vegetarian. Really want to blow someone behind the registers mind? Order a Jr. Cheeseburger Deluxe – NO MEAT. My success rate is about 80%. I preface my order with “I’m a vegetarian”, and then make my order.

ung: as for the loss-leader argument, you know what costs money? Toppings.

12. MeOhMy says:

Where did you think you were, Burger King? :-)

13. jgodsey says:

you shouldn’t be eating that much fast food anyway

14. Andyroyd says:

This reminds me of a policy we had for the King Supreme sandwich when I worked at Burger King. We could not sell the sandwhich without the Supreme sauce. The reasoning was that the sauce was essential to the build of the sandwich, upon which the price was geared to promote. Without the sauce, it became more like other sandwiches which different prices, and thus had to rung up differently. Customers could still get the sandwich build that they requested, but it would be no longer be considered a Supreme and coupons for the Supreme could not be used for it.

If the promotion is a similar issue in this case, perhaps the cashier didn’t realize that the sandwich could be rung up differently to avoid the restrictions.

15. HFC says:

I’m split here. On one hand, I understand that a customer should be treated with respect and that if a service person can do something to please the customer, they should try. On the other hand, it seems that too many customers expect to get everything the way they want it and if they don’t, it’s time to cry and bitch until you get something for free out of it.

If they didn’t want to give you you’re burger the way you wanted it, order something else or go to another restaurant. Of course, having one bed experience (especially something this minor) shouldn’t keep you from returning to your favorite burger chain, that’s just ridiculous.

Whatever, though, it’s not really a big deal. Of course then there’s Greasy Thumb Guzik with his bigoted stereotyping. Nice one, ass.

16. lihtox says:

@AirIntake: It’s not: the double stack and the double cheeseburger are different. According to [www.wendys.com] it looks like the double stack is two 1/8-lb patties while the double cheeseburger is two 1/4-lb patties.

I wonder if the original customer would have been satisfied with a double cheeseburger instead? Maybe he just assumed that the double stack was their regular cheeseburger, and that was the source of confusion. Not that it’s Brandon’s fault entirely, if so; the employees should know their own menu and should have suggested the alternative.

17. BustedFlush says:

Franchise mentality and the blind leading the stupid. Try ordering a Whopper with no bun – something someone with Ceoliac disease do – no button for it on the BK register.

I used to order Taco Bell chili-cheese burritos with plain ground beef instead of the chili sauce, and the cashier freaked out. Said I was trying to scam Taco Bell out of more meat than I was paying for. No, actually I just didn’t like the spices in the new (recently reformulated) sauce. I’d done it dozens of times before, no issues, but this girl was having none of it. I eventually “won” after asking her to use the exact same ammount of beef that would normally be found in the chili sauce to construct my chilito.

I would have expected a little more out of Wendy’s – they seemed to have put a bit more effort in training their employees on customer service in the past than the other chains, but I guess it’s all the same now.

As I see it you’ve got 3 choices:
    1. Complain. Possibly get spit in your food.
    2. Accept it.
    3. Drop out and don’t eat fast food.

18. generalassembly says:

@AirIntake: The double stack is a dollar menu item in some stores. It has smaller patties.

19. firestarsolo says:

I used to work at my local Wendy’s; it’s part of the Wendy’s training that you can have whatever you want however you want it (though not exactly in those words). I remember making the weirdest substitutions for things – some people wanted mayonnaise with their french fries instead of ketchup, some people wanted a cup of melted cheese for their burger instead of the normal slice…we were happy to oblige. I highly doubt Wendy’s has changed its policy on this; this was just a bad case of the Mondays for that employee. See if you can get their regional manager’s number and talk to him/her about it.

20. Black Bellamy says:

Take your burger the way it’s given, unwrap it right there on the register, lay out a napkin, then shovel all the stuff off your burger onto the napkin. Say “Thanks, can you throw that out?”, then leave.

21. HIV 2 Elway says:

I’d like to see more hotdog joints refuse to serve catsup on dogs.

22. sleepydumbdude says:

I love wendy’s. The one nearest to me though is horrible. Newburgh, IN. I’ve waited 30 minutes for a special order (only ketchup)before and my sandwiches look like they were made by monkeys. I’ve refrained from eating there anymore but anytime I am in a different town I usually stop buy another and get great service.

23. British Benzene says:

@Greasy Thumb Guzik: Well, some of the best food I ever had was in Louisiana, so it’s not the state. However, the Wendy’s Franchises in Baton Rouge are apparently owned by a tight-fisted moron who delights in frustrating those who expect decent food or service. I like Wendy’s, but after a few visits in Baton Rouge, I hated it. Sonic on Highland by Blue Bayou is the place to go. One of the best Sonics in the US.

Moral of the story: Franchisees make the restaurant and corporate needs to smack down the bad ones.

24. I’ve never had a problem with getting a spicy chicken sandwich plain. Sounds like someone just got promoted to chief sandwich artist or whatever Wendy’s calls them and was on a power trip.

25. MyPetFly says:

Where’s Jack Nicholson when you need him?

26. Gokuhouse says:

Hmmmm, this is baffling to me. I can only assume at that particular Wendy’s they had some issue with said sandwich and made their decision. Regardless it is very dumb. I wouldn’t have given my business there either. I’m sure this story will get some free coupons from them though.

27. redgreen21 says:

I know where this OP is coming from. I love Wendy’s as well and love the fact I can get a junior bacon cheeseburger plain. (Don’t judge me, I like to dip it in the chili :P) Spicy Chicken burgers are good as well. I don’t understand why they would have a problem. I can’t stand all the crap mayonnaise that makes it all soggy, and Wendy’s is all about it being hot and fresh supposedly. Weird.

28. Daniels says:

@HFC: There’s a difference between completely reasonable and unreasonable requests from the customer. Asking the kitchen “hey, make this sandwich but skip the vegetable part” is completely reasonable.

29. The_Atomic_Pod says:

@jgodsey: If this isn’t a pointless and arbitrary comment, completely counter-intuitive to the rules, I don’t know what is.

Lets try to stay on topic.

30. greggen says:

I tend to avoid Wendy’s as their service is so slow. But yeah, you should have asked for the manager.

Going to [www.wendys.com] you can see their slogan is “Fresh and delicious? Made the way you want? Served the way you deserve?”

Maybe Brandon is a bad, bad boy, and was just getting what he deserved? ;)

31. Shadowman615 says:

Wow. I’m one of those people too — I order burgers plain also usually. But I can’t recall ever having a problem like that in 30 years.

@Black Bellamy: Nice!

32. vastrightwing says:

It’s the bad attitude that kills me. Wife and I went to a full service restaurant recently and we sat at a booth. The waiter told us he would not serve us because the booth is for 3-4 people not 2. Wife and I looked around the restaurant and saw only 2 occupied tables at 8:30 pm on a Monday night. I guess the restaurant owner told the staff never ever to allow guests to get what they ask for. We got the same treatment one other time before from a different waiter (same restaurant). We will make sure they have at least 2 less patrons taking up valuable space at their booth.

• sleepydumbdude says:

@vastrightwing: I’ve had that problem. Lied and said another couple was joining us then asked if I could just get ours order in now. They did it and brought the food. Asked for the bill and told him they cancelled and no other problems.

33. blockbustarhymes says:

I’ve never really gotten angry over a burger order, so I’m not really sure I can properly empathize…

Can they make it without mayo?

If yes, I would think that everything else would be easily removed.

If no, like you said, you have other options. Whether or not those options will be any different remains to be seen.

34. coan_net says:

I have fun with my 3 local McDonalds.

I have a “discount card” which is basically by any sandwich & medium drink – get a 2nd sandwich of equal or less value for free.

Here are a few things which will “freak” some of the cashiers out.

1. Try to buy a large drink instead of a medium. “Sorry sir, you have to buy a medium drink to use the discount” – Um… Why don’t you ask you manager if it would be OK for me to spend more money on a drink where you will make more money

2. Try to buy a burrito or wrap. “Sorry sir, that is not a sandwich”

3. I will usually get 1 Big Mac & Large drink – and a Quarter Pounder as the free sandwich. For a friend, I had also ordered 2 of the $1 chicken sandwiches….. Of course you can guess what happened next, they took off the $1 sandwich as the free sandwich instead of one of the $2.50 sandwiches.

My reply – OK, cancel the 2 $1 chicken sandwiches. Oh, and I want to make a second order. How about 2 $1 chick sandwiches and a large coke (when all drinks were also $.99) – the manager was giving me darts through the window – now making her do “extra” work in doing the obvious of giving the $2.50 sandwich for free – along with now getting one of the chick sandwiches for free also. I said “Well I tried to make it easy, I’m surprised you wanted to do it the hard way” in which she finished and walked away.

…. of course when I order my breakfast sausage-egg-cheese bagel which is no longer “on the menu”, but there is a hidden button on the register for it – it funny when there is a new person on the register doesn’t know how to ring it up – I once had a sandwich cost over $5 because they “built” it by adding a bagel… then adding a sausage… then adding egg….. etc… When I get up to the window, I’m all ready and say can you get your manager and ask them how to correctly ring this order up.

35. Roudi says:

Weird. Unless that Wendy’s has stopped making their sandwiches as they are ordered, this should have been no problem.

I worked 1.5 years at Wendy’s in all positions. I left well before the Double Stacker (which is a two-patty Junior burger, not to be confused with the Classic Double [which itself is now called the "1/2 Pound Double"]). Out here in Canada, the Double Stacker is topped with just Ketchup and Mayonaise, and like the OP, I routinely order it plain with no fuss.

Wendy’s has undergone an enormous decline since the death of Dave Thomas, starting with the introduction of the Grill Press. I can taste the difference between burgers cooked on the old grill (taking 5 mins) and those cooked on a grill press (taking 45 seconds). I’ve noticed that the Grilled Chicken has become smaller and more water-filled (they never used to shrink as much), and their prices seem to go up at least three times a year. If we could run some wires into Dave Thomas’ grave, we could harness the kinetic energy from his constant rolling to power most of the continental United States.

Sorry for the rant.

36. gariig says:

This sounds like bad communication on the part of the manager to me. When I worked at Wendy’s a long time ago people would a “double stack add everything” which is basically a single with cheese but approximately $1.50 cheaper. We were instructed to add an extra charge of .25 for the tomato the rest of “everything” was included in the .99 price. Also, this was at a corporate store if people care.

I’m thinking the manager of the store was trying to prevent people from ordering the double stack add everything instead of the single with cheese. Unfortunately, the employees didn’t understand this and took it as no special orders for the double stack. I know Wendy’s loves it when you order something plain especially if it comes with tomato.

37. This is ridiculous!! Of course they can serve them plain! Whenever I have my dog with me when I go through drive through, they always give me one or two “expired” burgers plain for the Boxer.

38. chenry says:

I worked at Wendy’s and I can tell you this is absolute bullshit. I’ve filled weirder requests than a plain hamburger. Like a hamburger with the meat extra dry, or a triple burger with extra cheese, bacon, and “please add salt” (ow my heart). I’ve added an extra beef patty to a CHICKEN SANDWICH.

39. PinkBox says:

@friendlynerd: Same here. I don’t care where I’m at, I’m going to request no mayo.

If they put mayo on it anyway, they are making my sandwich over without it.

Mayo and I do not get along.

40. kittenfoo says:

Never had trouble ordering “ketchup only” at my local Wendys. What a strange story. That worker sounds deranged or something.

41. smirky says:

@Roudi:
    Absolutely. Over the past few years I’ve quit going to Wendys all together. It got to the point where I was pretty much guaranteed to have my order wrong of for the food to just plain suck. Every once in a while – sure. But not all the time.

42. SJActress says:

I used to like Wendy’s, but they changed their fries somehow, so they always taste like paper. The consistency is gross and I can’t eat them anymore.

I don’t think the OP’s problem is a cost issue, as employees don’t give a crap about that. They were probably not wanting to make a fresh burger, opting to argue with you to take a pre-made one instead.

43. scamps says:

Wendy’s is hit-or-miss. My husband and I refuse to go to the one down the street from us, yet we’re willing to go to the one that’s two towns away.

44. Starfury says:

I eat fast food (Yes, I know it’s bad for me) once or twice a week for lunch. I’ve never had any problem custom ordering a burger/chicken sandwich; I don’t want mayo or mustard on my food so order that way.

Currently the Jack in the Box $3.99 meal deals are where I’m spending my lunch money.

45. iverevi says:

“until my most recent visit to this store in Baton Rouge, LA.”

Ahhh.. Say no more. There’s your problem.

46. ZenMasterKel says:

I love Wendys, but it’s the only fast food restaurant that will fight me on ketchup packets. They treat them like gold. When you ask for ketchup, they try to give you 1 or 2 packets. And then they argue with them if you ask for more.

47. scootinger says:

Why didn’t he call 911? ;)

48. Jubilance22 says:

Good luck getting those coupons from Wendy’s. There is a Wendy’s around the corner from my house that is notoriously slow and inept. I called the number listed on the door for consumer complaints, and talked to a very nice woman who took down all my information and promised some coupons in the mail. Its been over a year and I never received any coupons.

49. nicemarmot617 says:

I like this retail strategy. If you don’t feel like doing your job, just make up “rules” that you have to follow and tell the customer you can’t break them. Oh if only I’d thought of this when I worked at B&N. I could have told all those Tuesdays with Morrie people that we had a policy against that book in all our stores.

50. HootieMac says:

@chenry: I think I actually had a small heart attack from reading that. A burger on a chicken sandwich? I’m revolted, frightened, and a little bit intrigued.

51. br549xt93 says:

Just take off the toppings. It’s their problem if they want to waste money. I don’t understand what the big deal was anyways. Probably some stupid kid at the register who didn’t want to push a few extra buttons.

52. Cliff_Donner says:

. . . so he and his friends eventually gave up and left empty handed.

Bravo. I have so much more respect for this than I do for the other stories where the OP is saying, “But I was in a hurry, so I just went ahead and gave the store my money as a reward for their lousy service.”

53. TouchMyMonkey says:

@Werrick: Dave Thomas is turning in his grave on this, no doubt. From the very beginning, Wendy’s whole business model revolved around the ability to serve up fresh hamburgers made exactly how you wanted them at least as fast as McDonald’s could cooking them in advance and putting them under heat lamps. If you have to take it or leave it, it’s no longer Wendy’s, is it?

54. Hockeypuck says:

That’s really weird. Wendy’s (I worked at one for nearly 2 years) policy is to make the sandwiches as they’re ordered. If we messed one up, or made an extra, we’d just throw it away or save it for ourselves for later. Heck, I used to love it when people asked for plain sandwiches, they were so much easier to make.

55. oneliketadow says:

I order Wendy’s double cheeseburgers with only onions and lettuce (and cheese) all the time! Obviously you got a bad employee.

56. harvey_birdman_attorney_at_law says:

@HIV 2 Elway Resurrected:
    x2. Only savages put ketchup on a hotdog.

57. @Starfury: Actually, it’s not bad for you. Supersize Me was a horrible film, and numerous studies have shown Spurlok wrong.

58. Benny Gesserit says:

And it only applied to that one burger? How bizarre. I wonder if that crew was just pulling your chain out of the sheer boredom that is the life of a fast-food serveuse.

If they offer you compensation, hold out one of the wigs.

59. OldManOnTheHill says:

Looks like you found yourself in a backwater Wendy’s with a backwater store policy.

My fiance and I swear by Wendy’s and have never had issues like this which is a regular thing for us as she despises pickles.

Further, ever since the Baconator replaced the Big Bacon Classic we’ve never had an issue ADDING toppings to convert the Baconator to the aforementioned BBC.

So to let this one minor toppings incident sour you on the whole chain is just pretty damn silly as you’ll be depriving yourself of your choice burger at pretty much any other Wendy’s (or whichever ones you frequented before this one).

dammit…now Im hungry

60. DoubleEcho says:

@firestarsolo: ” this was just a bad case of the Mondays for that employee.”

Dude, you’re liable to get your ass kicked around here for saying something like that. :P

61. British Benzene says:

My first comment, it did not show up, so here is condensed version.

Baton Rouge Wendy’s are owned by tight-fisted monkey morons. Go to the Sonic on Highland Rd. by Blue Bayou, one of the best in the US.

@Greasy Thumb Guzik: Paint with a broad brush and you’ll eventually get paint on yourself.

62. komodork says:

you know what you should of done, take the burger with the toppings and sit in and eat. Open your burger up, take the toppings and just toss them on the floor and table. once your done, leave a little note saying, here are the toppings that i did not want. It was a great meal! thanks

63. I once went to a Wendy’s in Hawaii. They asked if I wanted “everything” on my burger.

I was like “Yeah.”

Apparently, “everything” in Hawaii means mayo, ketchup, mustard, salt, peppper, pickle, onion, lettuce, cucumber, peppers… everything.

64. stillkarenann says:

@coan_net: What an unusual hobby you have. Sounds fun.

65. pine22 says:

@OldManOnTheHill: you can still order the big bacon classic, there is still a button on the register for it. i know because its my favorite burger there.

66. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@br549xt93: It’d be kind of difficult to take off the condiments.

@Cliff_Donner: I second that!

I don’t understand why the employees claimed that not only can they not alter the double stack but that it’s the only burger they can’t alter. That makes zero sense. I’d have understood ‘we don’t change how the burgers are done’ if they’d applied that across the board. It’d still be dumb but understandable.

I don’t understand “We can’t not put the toppings on the double stack but we’ll leave them off the single.”

67. friendlynerd says:

@HootieMac: Section 9 Reject:
    Personally, I’m salivating.

68. backbroken says:

@ung: Aren’t all the sandwiches loss leaders? I thought fast food made its money on the 800% markup on soda and fries.

69. AI says:

@lihtox & generalassembly

Ah, thanks. I’ve never heard of the double stack. They don’t have these at all at any Wendy’s I’ve been to in Alberta. I have heard of the grand slam though (4 1/4lb patties). It’s never on the menu, but they know what it is.

70. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

Well I will wish you the best of luck if you ever visit Australia. I went to McDonnalds there multiple times on my first visit in 2003 and tried to order a plain cheeseburger, and they would look at me like I had horns growing out of my head.. Then I would explain to them it just means I want a burger with just bread, meat and cheese.. nothing else.. And then they would ask again and I would explain it again and they would seem to understand.. then my burger would come out and it would still be wrong with all the toppings.

Then I’d have to send my (now) husband, a native Australian, to fix it.. And they looked at him all crazy too but they would eventually get it right.. I don’t order my own food there anymore.. You would think that we’re all speaking the same language but I guess my Texan accent was too weird for them.

71. scousa says:

I know I’m in the minority here, but it’s cheap, fast food, if you don’t want something, as has been mentioned, then take it off. What makes it fast is that they don’t have to ponce around with custom orders.

72. campredeye says:

@AirIntake: Personally, I would define a stack as something consisting of more than 2 in a pile or formation. Therefore a “double stack” would be at least 4 pattys of beef, and a heart attack.

73. SinisterMatt says:

@semanticantics:

When I worked at McDonald’s, it used to mess with the grill people’s mind when people ordered hamburgers without meat. For the longest time there was no button on the cash register to mark “no meat” so I would have to put something like “EXTRA NO NO” or something. They invariably asked what that meant. Good times.

I agree that it seems that they had a non-plain one that they were trying to get rid of. I would have waited a little while (the dinner shift or something) and tried it again, just to see what would have happened.

Cheers!

74. tobashadow says:

They wont alter it just like McDonalds wouldn’t alter one the of the 29 cent hambugers back when they used to do them no matter how many times i say i cant eat onions or i will DIE!

The reason is becasue they make them in large batchs and throw them under a heat lamp for you to buy something made hours before.

75. jeejum says:

What I find absurd are the drive-through policies of McDonald’s. I went by the drive-through with a couple of friends to order food from McDonald’s, it was after midnight so the main door was closed and we were on foot. A female employee told us that they were not permitted to sell food to people on-foot. As we were discussing the issue, a man in the car behind us overheard the whole thing and offered to buy our food for us. Imagine the absurdity, when the same women we had talked to barked out of the speakerphone that the man was not allowed to do so. Fortunately, shortly afterwards, I discovered Wendy’s and never went to McDonald’s again.

76. beast464 says:

At least she didn’t tell you to Simma down now!

77. trillium says:

I eat my Wendy’s burgers with ketchup only.. and low and behold ran into an experience with the cashier just last week. Conversation went something like this:
    “I’ll take a double cheeseburger, ketchup only”
    “So only ketchup”
    “Yes ketchup only”
    “So just ketchup”
    “Yes, ketchup only”
    “Ok..” long pause….”You sure, just ketchup?”

78. Ninjanice says:

@semanticantics:
    I order them as “veggie sandwiches”. They have a special button on the register where I live (Michigan) just for this. When I was in high school, we used to go to Wendy’s and get veggie sandwiches. They didn’t used to have a button, so they would ring it up as a bun + misc. food. It was the best $.25 sandwich ever!

79. GrandizerGo says:

@HFC: Nothing to be split about.
    The sandwich as it is being made doesn’t come preloaded with the condiments. They are added after the sandwich is made.
    There is NO reason for a FAST FOOD restaurant NOT to serve it the way you ask for.
    I do the same thing at ALL of the places I go, Wendy’s McDonalds and Burger King.
    I have 100’s of stories of sandwiches being made wrong.
    My brother and I can smell the bag from the outside and tell if they screwed up the order.
    Just last night we stopped at Kelly’s on Rt. 1 and we could smell ketchup and mustard. In their defense, the food prep person used either dirty gloves or hands, as the offending condiments were only on the outside of the packaging, not on the actual orders.

80. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@scousa: 1) You can not take off the mayo, ketchup, or mustard.
    2) Like the OP and several commenters have said it’s usually not a problem to do special orders at Wendy’s.

@tobashadow: I thought Wendy’s didn’t do the heat lamp thing.

81. ThinkPink says:

@coan_net: You just sound like an asshole that likes to cause problems for everyone else. Not cool.

82. thelushie says:

@AirIntake: Since it has only one slice of cheese. I like the double stack but I like the McD’s Double cheeseburger alot better.

83. GrandizerGo says:

@br549xt93: That is the last thing people should do.
    There is no incentive for the place to retrain the help properly.
    Not to mention that people with food allergies, (not me) or just HATE the smell / taste of condiments should not have to eat a scrapped burger that still has remnants of something I didn’t want on it.
    I know people are going to complain, but one of the problems here is that the people making these sandwiches are getting “repetitive” in their motions, so it is harder for them to NOT to make a burger special for the customer.
    But that is what you get when someone goes through the drive up and complains if the food isn’t ready during that 1 minute drive to the pickup window.
    People get smaller raises or fired if they do not perform to a certain standard. And more and more in the fast food industry, the key / operative word is FAST.

84. thelushie says:

@ThinkPink: He probably hates people that have honest jobs. Yep, he is an asshole. An example of a bad consumer.

85. GrandizerGo says:

@HootieMac: Section 9 Reject: Haha, when I was younger and worked as a WSI, (think glorified lifeguard) I used to go to a sub shop (Ugi’s) that I knew the owner of and ask for a combination sub, (my way is steak, sausage and onions and cheese) on / in a ham and cheese sub.

Some of the things my brother and I ordered made it on the menu.
    Steak and hot pastrami subs…
    Sadly the quality of the products have gone down in the last few years…

86. Infinity_8 says:

“If we could run some wires into Dave Thomas’ grave, we could harness the kinetic energy from his constant rolling to power most of the continental United States.”

LOL, EPIC!

87. suzy-q says:

Weird. My boyfriend orders a double stack with no ketchup only (not even cheese) when he goes and I don’t think he’s ever had a problem.

88. RandomMutterings says:

@lihtox:
    OK, I’ll admit it. I once worked at McDonalds.
    The double cheeseburger would actually be made from two “ten to one” patties (i.e., 10 patties = 1 pound), so it would be 1/5 of a pound at McDonalds vs. 1/4 pound (2 x 1/8 pound) at Wendy’s. So a basic hamburger or cheeseburger at McDonalds is actually (or at least used to be) 1/10 of a pound.

89. angelwriter says:

Where I live, the only fast-food place that doesn’t routinely mess up the orders is Taco Bell. I gave up on Wendy’s, though, when they cancelled the Spicy Baconator. It wasn’t even the fact that it was gone that was the problem. All three employees I’d talked to gave me an attitude. The real kicker, though? There was a billboard not a mile away that advertised that sandwich. Way to be consistent, Wendy’s…

90. RandomMutterings says:

@Roudi:

I think I just broke a rib laughing. That is seriously funny.

91. MrEvil says:

First of all, the Wendy’s employees were rather dickish to Brandon.

However, I’ve found life to be much easier to deal with if you stop being 5 and just take the sandwich as is. The exception being of course if you have food allergies, that I understand. If you dont, lettuce, mayo, mustard, ketchup, tomato, onion, and pickles aren’t going to kill you.

One burger please, hold the wuss.

j/k Brandon, order your sandwich however you’d like, and curses to the Wendy’s employees for being such douches.

92. Pipes says:

@jgodsey: I was waiting for this one. I eat fast food once a week – sometimes even TWICE! It’s right after I play hockey for 2 hours and burn about my entire day’s worth of calories. And typically that burger or taco or whatever has about 400 calories, which is usually less than my prepared meals have anyway. NOM NOM NOM!

@GrandizerGo: Oh man I’m glad I’m not the only one. If my burger does not come plain, I cannot just scrape off the ingredients. I have an insanely high aversion to onions and can taste where the flavor has soaked into the bun and/or meat. Scraping them off does NOTHING.

93. Pithlit says:

@harvey_birdman_attorney_at_law: Why are some people so friggin obsessed with those who put ketchup on hotdogs? It’s the weirdest thing. I know lots of people who do this. I eat them that way sometimes, too. Who cares?

94. SinisterMatt says:

@br549xt93:

Yeah, that works for the pickles and tomatoes and stuff, but what about the ketchup and mayo? No matter how much you try and scrape it off, some is going to remain either on the bun or on the patty.

Cheers!

95. taking_this_easy says:

@backbroken: why would sandwiches be loss leaders?

a piece of meat from the supermarket costs $0.50?… a bun costs $0.30, vegetables and other stuff costs $0.30

the actual raw materials is very cheap… its just that making a hamburger costs more than filling up a soda because of the different amount of human involvement… i guess paying wages is more expensive than having a machine…

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

@taking_this_easy: Well that and the soda comes in huge boxes that cost $25 – $50 depending on the size that can then fill up thousands of cups.

$2 a cup x 1000 cups is one hell of a turnaround for a $50 investment.

Much better than $2 – $3 on a sandwich.

Why do you think they offer free refills?

And.. what’s wrong with ketchup on hotdogs? Don’t they ALWAYS come that way? (Though I’m a huge fan of the Chicago dog now that I’ve discovered it.. I still enjoy just ketchup on my dogs now and then)

96. I once had a Dairy Queen tell me they could not sell me a burger without the meat–that the health department REQUIRED them to put the meat on the bun. I was only a kid (maybe 12) and I couldn’t argue very effectively with them, but I was raised vegetarian and had never, ever had meat or meat grease on my food before. It was a fairly traumatic experience, and I still won’t go to Dairy Queen because of it.

What is up with fast food places being unable to meet their customers’ very simple requests?

97. thalensmom says:

I had a similar situation at a McDonalds. I always order a happy meal and then a large sweet tea to drink instead of the inky dinky little kid cup they give you. ALWAYS. The one day, I’m at the drive thru, and after I ordered, the lady on the other end of the speaker says that she cannot do that “ma’am”. I said, “you’ve done it before”. Again, “i cannot do that ma’am.” So I ordered a water, and then drove around the car in front of me and went to the McDonalds down the street, and ordered the same thing, paid my $3.24 and was happy again.

98. joemono says:

I only wanted to comment because like the consumerist, I too only ever get the Spicy Chicken. DELICIOUS.

99. I don’t get it either. Waaaay back in the day when I was a teenage sandwich maker for Wendy’s, you could get whatever the heck you wanted on it, since the sandwich doesn’t get assembled until it’s ordered. I made quite a few veggie sandwiches, and even a handful of times I made a “dogburger”, which is simply a patty slapped in a wrapper for someone with a dog in the drivethru.

Although if you are allergic to any ingredient in a fast food restaurant, keep in mind that the sandwich makers have all of it on their hands and touch the bun. My hands smelled like pickle and onion for an entire summer.

Also, at least back when I was there, Wendy’s does use heat lamps on chicken nuggets and freid fish patties. Nuggets sell very fast so they don’t stay there long, but the fish sells maybe two a day, so NEVER ORDER FISH SANDWICHES. They are supposed to throw them out after an hour but odds are that fish sandwich was cooked three hours ago.

100. lihtox says:

@harvey_birdman_attorney_at_law: Ah, a couple of Chicagoans. Personally I eat hotdogs with ONLY ketchup (sometimes cheese)…but I don’t dare order one in Chicago.

Mustard, relish, onions…nasty stuff.

101. lihtox says:

@RandomMutterings: Interesting. McDonald’s cheeseburgers always seemed more like a snack than a meal to me (which is good: they’re a tasty little snack) but I didn’t know just how small they were. 1/10th pounders, hmm….

102. jefflewis says:

Simple math suggests: Plain = less work. I can say from my days in the coffee shop, I always preferred the customers who ordered a simple coffee, black. Though I wonder, what if we had had a policy stating ‘Regular caffeine only, in all espresso drinks.’ Whoa!

103. ratsgnawingatmyface says:

We gave up on Wendy’s because they could never make my wife’s burgers the way she asked for them. Before they actually offered the current double stacks, they had the 1/4lb Deluxe Double Stack that came with lettuce and tomato and 1000 Island special sauce stuff on it. She just wanted the thing made without the special sauce and with ketchup and mustard in its place. 9 of 10 times they would get it wrong. We got burgers with nothing at all on them, burgers made the way they normally make them, once we got it with mayo, no cheese and lots of lettuce, once with no sauce and no cheese, any combo you can think of except the way it was ordered. This was not just one franchise either…it was all over…we began to wonder if they had a pic of her at every store with a note to screw up the order. Needless to say…no more Wendy’s for us. Screw ‘em.

104. njovin says:

I would have taken the “loaded” burger, kindly emptied the unwanted toppings onto the floor (or the counter), and left a happy customer with the burger you wanted.

105. amuro98 says:

My brother always orders his cheese burgers plain. At one place, the cashier figured plain meant “just the burger and the bun” – no cheese. So the next time, he ordered there, he explicitly said “just the burger the bun and the cheese” and got “I *KNOW* what plain means, sir!” as a retort. At least they got his order right.

In my area, the larger problem is that the cashiers don’t even speak English. I stormed out of a Burger King, after waiting in line for 20 minutes while a customer tried to order a simple combo meal from the single cashier who couldn’t speak or read English. Even the manager was having problems because he wasn’t fluent in Spanish. On my way out, I told a large group of people coming in that unless they could speak Spanish, and had an hour to wait for their food, they’d be better off going some place else.

I went to an Arby’s where the entire staff was Indian, and also not very good with English. However, the owner (also Indian) had been smart and installed a touch-screen ordering system. This way you could simply punch in your order, get a #, then hand your cash to the cashier when the food arrived. The system worked great – you could even do special orders and the owner made sure his staff got it right. The extra money he spent on the screens was worth it as his Arby’s started winning awards for customer service.

106. Christ Sabo says:

Does it suck that this employee did this? Yes.
    Does it mean you should write a pious letter to Wendy’s, saying “Burger King just might be better?” I’m not sure.

How does this one instance of an employee’s wrongness all of a sudden make every other Wendy’s experience negligible?He even wrote that before, Wendy’s was awesome, but because ONE employee is wrong, now Wendy’s together is awful?
    The guy who wrote this is should calm down, in my opinion.

107. Egg Yolkeo says:

I have a friend who orders:

Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger with lettuce and ketchup
    Jr. Hamburger with ketchup only.

They usually get it right but give credits sometimes when they don’t.

Personally I love mayo but a lot of people hate it, and a lot of sandwiches and wraps seem to come with “surprise” emulsion-sauce. It probably should be optional.

108. darkryd says:

Sounds like it was just one inept employee being difficult.

I wonder if yelling “escalation!” in the middle of a face to face conversation works or not…hmm. I’ll have to try it : )

109. newfenoix says:

Used to work at a Wendy’s that was right by the LSU campus. It does not surprise me in the least. The worst horror stories I have is from Braum’s. That place is AWFUL.

110. @Jubilance22:

Hey! You stole my comment, almost verbatim!

I was going to add that the most interesting part of this story will be the follow-up: does he ever here from Wendy’s in response to his complaint? I love Wendy’s, but their lack of response to complaints is extraordinarily frustrating.

111. Dyscord says:

I have never had a problem ordering food without toppings. McDonalds will actually label your food if it has any modifications.

@HFC: I wouldn’t say he’s entitled to get something free, but when he’s gone to wendy’s before and was able to get his order modified without any trouble, then there’s no reason why he shouldn’t have been able to get it then.

112. billbobbins says:

Fast food = fast service. Each Double Stack is made the exact same way, every time. Customization takes extra time and time is money. It took extra time to put your order in, extra time for the cashier to punch it up, and extra time for the food-preparer to make it. The cost of the condiments save is negligible. Fast food is crap anyways. I don’t get random stomach aches since I stopped eating fast food. The kitchens are unclean and the food-preparers don’t wash their hands. Eat healthier – learn to cook, pack a lunch!

113. SharkD says:

Reader Brandon needs to learn the art of concision. How about:

I’d like to share with you a sour experience that occurred this past weekend, when I stopped into my local Wendy’s restaurant, which I visit at least once a week.

I attempted to order a double-stack sandwich, “plain,” but was told by the cashier that the double-stack could not be ordered to my preference, as it was against corporate policy. She refused to place my preferred order, despite my having encountered no such prohibitions when ordering a plain double-stack on previous visits, so my companions and I left your restaurant without placing any orders.

I hope this was an isolated incident of a mistaken employee and not a policy change that could affect my decision the next time I am in the mood for a hot, juicy burger.

Getting to the point, clearly and concisely, is much more important than “big, important-sounding words” and hyperbolic threats.

114. TPS Reporter says:

Wendy’s has definitely gone down hill since Dave Thomas died. Their fries are terrible, at least around here. It all tastes the same a McD’s and BK, where it used to taste like a burger you made at home, meat hot, cold stuff cold.

115. medeamama says:

This is very odd. I have always had good experiences at Wendy’s.
    My boys eat bacon cheeseburgers plain. One time at BK I ordered bacon cheesburgers “with nothing on them” and received empty buns. That was the strangest. Luckily we didn’t get drive-through. Someone’s idea of a joke, I suppose. I didn’t think it was funny at the time.

I would insist that Wendy’s make it right with some GCs for free burgers.

116. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

@HFC:
    You have no sense of humor, which is to be expected of someone whose parents are first cousins!

117. vdragonmpc says:

I watched a friend deal with this once. I asked and he said he does it EVERYTIME they pull it as he is allergic to the pickles. Could be the juice or the pickle he can have cucumbers though.

He was really nice and ordered a couple of burgers at a restaurant. He specifically said NO PICKLES. They happily piled extra ones on his burgers. He unwrapped each one at the table and finger flicked them off. Where they ended up was totally random. I had never seen him act like that and he explained his reaction.

Im glad he didnt wing them at the cook.

118. PiNPOiNT says:

The tale of the Chicken Beef burger

I once decided to be stupid and order a chicken burger with a extra “beef” patty. Extra beef patties are only a buck, and technically you can add as many as you want. Yum… Chicken beef burger :P. When i ordered the lady was confused, but she decided to try entering it anyways. The cash register accepted it as a valid order, but immediately afterwards, a manager came over and asked me “Are you serious?” I said yes…. he paused for a minute and said….”well what toppings should i put on it?” I asked for the chicken toppings. He went ahead and made it for me, and i pretty much made everyone’s day at the restaurant, by ordering the strangest thing they’ve ever heard of.

Btw, it could have used 2 patties of beef, One was still being over powered by the spicy chicken patty. And i suggest you have them stack it “Beef/Chicken/Beef”

• Roudi says:

@PiNPOiNT: I encountered a burger like this once, while I was working the Wendy’s drive-thru. During a lull, one of our sandwhich makers was on lunch. He ordered a junior bacon cheeseburger “with everything.” His buddy made the burger with, literally, everything he could find… including a spare Spicy Chicken patty. Dunno if he ever ate that monster…

119. koreanforrabbit says:

@semanticantics: Back when I was a vegetarian, I used to go to Wendy’s and order a Cheese Sandwich – bun, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo, and ketchup. They are a regular item for ninety-nine cents (no joke), but it usually took some patience with the cashier before they realized that there is a Cheese Sandwich button on the register.

120. markio says:

Reading this earlier in the day gave me a burning desire for some Wendy’s, and man it was delicious. Thanks.

121. oldwiz says:

@jeejum:
    Hmm…They won’t serve you at the drive up window …Why not have all your friends crouch in the exact position as if they were sitting in the car, walk up to the window and order and tell them you have an invisible car?

122. CajunGuy says:

@Greasy Thumb Guzik: I’m from Louisiana…so what are you trying to say? That we’re all dumb? There’s no humor in your assertion.

I’m allergic to cheese, have been all my life, and I have the hardest time getting any sandwich from just about any fast-food joint without the requisite cheese. Of course, imagine my dismay when my friends or family invite my wife and I (who’s also allergic to cheese) out to eat…at a Mexican restaurant!

123. Jachim says:

@firestarsolo: What’s so wierd about mayo on fries? I’ve been eating them that way since I was a kid, am I’m not even Canadian!

124. shibainu33 says:

I apologize if a previous comment addressed this, I didn’t have time to read all.

I think it has something to do with their training. The “double stack” is Wendy’s $0.99 Value Menu double cheeseburger, so adding to it for the same price could be what Wendy’s doesn’t want. Maybe the training may have stated, “Must be served as is.” Meaning that nothing could be added to it, but maybe this guy thought that meant taking items off too. That surely doesn’t excuse the employee’s lack of logic.

125. blockbustarhymes says:

@PiNPOiNT: Why even have the bun?

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter,(begin sarcasm) but I had one bad experience at Wendy’s, and boycotted them. Therefore, I can never enjoy this concoction.(end sarcasm)

My 6 year old cousin has a form of autism. He is pretty much like any other kid, with some exceptions. Sometimes he gets upset because his pancakes aren’t perfectly circular. All this shenanigans about not getting the burger exactly the way you want it makes my 6 year old autistic cousin look like he’s not that picky of an eater.

Definitely…gotta have my maple syrup…Definitely

126. tastydb says:

The “Personalize It” section of the Wendy’s website seems to suggest that, even post-Dave Thomas, you are still quite welcome to customize your order:

[www.wendys.com]

At my local Wendy’s the manager regularly makes rounds of the dining area to make sure people are satisfied with their orders. If anyone has a complaint, he’ll do whatever he needs to in order to make things right and ensure the customer leaves the store happy. One time I remarked to a friend that my Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger seemed to be missing the bacon, and moments later the manager, who had overheard me, showed up at my table with a new sandwich and a whole plate of bacon, and gave us each a coupon for a free frosty. In some stores at least, Dave’s spirit still lives on…

127. I’m thinking they had one of those sandwiches already made up and cooling down, and they wanted to force it on the customer.

128. AllenK says:

I need to show this to my wife because she likes her burgers the same way. It bewilders the person taking the order no matter what the restaurant is too. Most of the time they get it right,but occasionally she will get a burger with mustard and/or mayo on it.

I can’t take a burger plain and dry. Gotta have some mustard or mayo on there.

129. forgottenpassword says:

sounds like an on the spot made up rule so that they wouldnt have to take the time to make a new burger instead of grabbing a premade one (with toppings) off the line.

130. sleepydumbdude says:

So after reading this I wanted some wendy’s. Went to a near by store and ordered 2 jr bacon cheese burgers. Well didn’t realize until I got back to work that my sandwiches were like doublecheese burgers or something. So I call to complain and they tell me to bring them back, said I can’t now and ask if I can come by later for them. He tells me that I have to bring the sandwiches in and it has to be today. So I was like since I missed my lunch because I won’t have time to run back there and give them to you now and you expect me to not eat and just keep some burgers with me all day. guy said yes. dick. I just ate them and just won’t go to that one anymore either.

131. coren says:

If they have it, order the Snack Attack plain instead. Same burger, different default toppings.

132. halo969 says:

Boy am I tired of the “what do you expect?” comments. I worked at Burger King in high school and for awhile in college and so what if it was a minimum wage job? I still took some pride in my work! Lazy rude employees make me sick and the people excusing their behavior disgust me even more. Let’s just keep lowering the standards until we don’t have any.

• newfenoix says:

@halo969: THANK YOU!!! I have managed places like that and have fired many, many uncaring workers. It does not matter how much you are getting paid, do a good job!

133. bwcbwc says:

@Git Em SteveDave displays attention-grabbing vanity: Meatatarian: It’s called the Atkins Diet.

134. evslin says:

God damn that spicy chicken sandwich is delicious.

135. jessicat says:

My former roomie is a Wendy’s GM and a few years ago they rolled out a customer service module called “Give Them The Pickle”. Basically shut the fuck up and get this guy out of your face. Is it really worth causing a scene over taking off a condiment or giving a guy a Coke without the ice? Doesn’t customer service mean anything to people anymore? I’m not saying that a guy who make $8 an hour is going to bend over backwards to kiss your ass, but if the request isn’t completely insane why not just do it?

136. BillsBurg says:

@chenry: Gives whole new meaning to “chicken fried steak” !!

137. BillsBurg says:

@lihtox: Nothing better than a hotdog, bun, ketchup, me and my 4 yr old daughter LOVE EM!

138. BillsBurg says:

OK, nothing about ordering a burger FOB (Fresh off broiler). I usually do this all the time at BK, Whopper, Lettuce, Tomato, Ketchup only. BEST.TASTING.FF BURGER.EVER!

139. Dansc29625 says:

I am dumbfounded. I truly am. I cant figure out why not one but two employees would not let you order a sandwich plain.

Last time I was in a Wendys a guy said that his order was wrong. “Can I have a cup of Manderan oranges and some crackers instead?” he said. They gave him crackers, two cups of oranges and his money back. That is service.

If it is easier to tell a customer no, than to tell the sandwich dude “plain, only cheese meat and bread” then this one restaurant is messed up royally.

140. Raiders757 says:

For thos saying to just take the toppings off.

Some of us can’t stand mayo. Once that vile, nasty crap is added to a double stack, there is no option to just “remove the toppings”. Condaments like mayo, and the likes of, can’t be easily removed.

I do just “remove the toppings”, but that is after I ask for no mayo or special sauce of any kind.

141. bossco says:

In defense of Wendy’s in general, I stop at the one on my way to work a couple times a week. They remember what I like and have on a couple of times actually gave me discounts that normally require a coupon. Like any chain, you sometimes hit one with a rotten service attitude.

142. Desman says:

Well, I have (almost) no experience in Wendy’s (you don’t get ‘em in China), but couple of times had to make quite a fuss in McDonald’s. They just won’t replace soft drinks with coffee, insisting that it just “can’t be done”. Solution? Just walk away on them (there’s always KFC nearby – at least, in China).

143. slyikkiss says:

I used to work at McDonald’s when I was in high school. Back then they used to have 49 cents/59 cents hamburgers/cheeseburgers on one particular day of the week. Becasue that item was so popular on that day, they wouldn’t let people special order them becasue it would take too much time to “mass produce” them. People would order the maximum (10) at a time. Even if you wanted just one, I still couldn’t give the discounted price for a special made one. Can’t do for one and not the other because people will start whining. I’d gotten yelled at plenty of times by customers because I was told not to give them the discounted price if they wanted it made special. Isn’t the double stack like 99 cents? Maybe they don’t do it for the same reasons Mickey Dees didn’t do it.

144. moracity says:

I think this is a case of a stupid employee. Wendy’s burgers are made to order. If anything, leaving off the toppings increases profit made on the sandwich:

1) less product used
    2) less time to assemble

I eat at Wendy’s often and have never heard of a a double-stack. Is it a regional burger?

145. shorebird says:

While sitting in my car eating my lunch today at a McDonald’s next door to a Wendy’s. I observed a car pull up behind the Wendy’s. Two guys got out and in plain view fired up a joint. They were joined by first one Wendy’s employee who indulged and went back inside then another came out for the same reason. One by one the Wendy’s workers took turns adjusting their attitudes. Then the fun started. Here came a police unit rushing up to the scene. Following in quick order were 4 more units. Soon people were up against the car being searched. I think that particular Wendy’s is hiring now.

146. cordeduroi says:

Brandon, that person was obviously just f-ing with you. They get paid minimum wage, the customers never stop coming and there is zero entertainment for hours. She probably learned that if she says “we can’t do that” to any request that makes her job harder, 99% of customers don’t question or argue, even if they do get steamed.

I probably would have done like others suggested and emptied the sandwhich on the counter or table and made them clean it up. I did that once with a room temp cup of chili that they refused to reheat… I flipped it upsidedown on the table without spilling a drop. Too bad I wasn’t there when someone picked it up lol.

Nothing about this article shocks me. That’s just how fast food is.

147. Julia9999999 says:

I hate this logic. You’re actually saving the employee time by requesting that they not do something, plus saving the toppings, rather than scraping them off your burger. I personally don’t like lettuce on my hamburgers, because lettuce is disgusting when it gets warm.

I have had this particular problem for years when ordering my food from various fast-food restaurants: I like my hamburgers with mayo and pickle only. PERIOD. I don’t like cheese on them, but the cashier seems so taken aback that I don’t want cheese, as if it’s some sort of million-dollar prize that only a moron would refuse. I also feel that it’s a waste of my time and theirs to ask them to remove 3 or 4 things rather than order my hamburger with only 2 toppings. Apparently, this concept is way too difficult to understand because there have been many occasions that I receive my burger with everything BUT mayo and pickles, even when I stress the qualifier “only”! How hard is it to actually think about what you are doing, rather than becoming some sort of human assembly line that melts down with the mere mention of modifiers?

148. spadefoot says:

My brother had a simlar experience a few years ago with a McDonald’s flatbread sandwich. No matter how many times he requested it, even to the manager, they insisted that the flatbread sandwiches can only be made exactly as they were formulated. He watched them making them, so it wasn’t like there were a bunch already made. For some reason they would NOT produce one without the tomato. He even said “Well, when you reach in to the tomato bin to get some to put on the sandwich, can you just NOT pick any up?”
    He ended up ordering something else, as I recall.

149. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

I think my oddest experience was recently at a taco bell. My friend and I ordered similar items (I ordered a chicken ranchero taco, theirs was steak, we both ordered bean burritos) but I ordered both my items “Fresco”.

Instead of using fresco stickers, one burrito had a “chicken” label on it to note it as the fresco one. However, the tacos were different – the steak one was labeled “chicken” and the chicken one was unlabeled. The order was correct, it just confused me why they didn’t label the chicken taco as chicken.

150. P_Smith says:

Trying to get french fries without salt, a drink without ice or a hamburger without mayonnaise can be the devil’s own job, even if you ask for just one of them.

But eat at Wendy’s? No thanks. The thankfully dead Dave Thomas was openly gay-hating and gave money to cults which promoted hate. I would never put money in their coffers any more than I would a business owned by a KKK member.

151. tastydb says:

@P_Smith: Care to back that up? Such rumors have been falsely attached to nearly every fast food founder’s name, including Dave Thomas’. Next are you going to tell me that Jack in the Box / KFC / Popeye’s / Insert Name Here puts something in their chicken to make black men sterile?

Thomas certainly didn’t have any problem with the manager I wrote about above, who has been openly gay (openly black, too!) and managing a Wendy’s for years. Heck, the doors of the store have even had rainbow stickers on them for ages, since long before Thomas died. Considering he visited the store personally each year (I met him during one such visit when I was there for lunch), I would have to wonder that he didn’t order the stickers removed if he was openly gay-hating, or why he didn’t find some way to get the manager out of Wendy’s employ?

Are you familiar with the Dave Thomas Foundation, which aids couples looking to adopt children out of foster care? An excerpt from a People magazine article from 1993 ([www.people.com]):

“Wendy’s corporate adoption program, which Thomas started in 1990, helps Wendy’s employees adopt children by paying some of their medical, legal and counseling costs. Says Thomas: “People ask me, ‘What about gay adoptions? Interracial? Single parent?’ I say, ‘Hey, fine, as long as it works for the child and the family is responsible.’ My big stand is this: Every child deserves a home and love. Period.” [emphasis mine, of course]

152. tastydb says:

Correcting myself: I wrote that the DTF supports couples looking to adopt, but — as Thomas himself said — they will help single parents as well.

153. tastydb says:

@P_Smith:

Upon further reflection, I realized that you probably mean Wendy’s pulling of advertising from the Ellen show as evidence of Thomas being an open gay-hater. If so, it’s a bit of a stretch to go from a company’s choice not to pour advertising dollars into a show that became hugely controversial in the news, and assuming the company founder, who incidentally was barely involved the company at the time due to illness, was a bigot. Wendy’s erred big time in its judgment and paid a price for it, as they should have. I was someone who wrote them to complain, as did many other members of my church – the MCC. What the media failed to report was that Wendy’s reinstated its advertising on Ellen a short while later. Ellen was a favorite show of mine, and I *did* notice when the ads came back.

And giving money to cults? So Dave Thomas twice appeared on Pat Robertson’s 700 Club to talk about the important of adoption. While I absolutely abhor the Christian Coalition’s anti-gay agenda (which, in contrast to the one attributed to Wendy’s and Thomas, is very clear), I wouldn’t fault someone with a strong adoption cause for being interviewed on their show, especially considering his foundation refuses to provide grants to organizations which support discrimination, such as the Christian Coalition and its related groups.

154. Nick_Bentley says:

Good, you skipped the rants. The employee training at all fast food places is minimal. It’s a first job for most people and you’ll always run into one confused or inexperienced person on any given trip. The turnover at these places is sky high, it’s the nature of this kind of business.
    The order taker was misinformed, thought they were saying the right thing and they were wrong. Stop making a federal case, it was a mistake, they don’t force toppings, no place does that.

155. robgbrown says:

I’ll tell all you American readers a secret, we have a burger place in Canada called “Harvey’s”. Simply the best. Freshly cooked burgers and fresh toppings. It takes a little longer, and it is a little bit more expensive, BUT, worth every penny. Recently they have added onions grilled in Franks Red Hot. Awesome! Makes Wendy’s, McDonalds, BK etc look like (and sometimes taste like) dog food!

156. mari2314 says:

well, a double stack doesnt come with mayo, tomato, or lettuce. it’s ketchup, pickle, onion, mustard. asking for it plain is no big deal. ask for it plain, no cheese, and no bun, and you’ll get it just as you asked lol