Target Will Not Let You Return These Shoes Because They Are "Worn"

Reader I. ordered some shoes from Target.com, only to find out that they were so big that they fell off her feet when she tried them on. No worries, she would just print her receipt and bring them back to her local Target. Right? Wrong.

I. says:

I had an extremely frustrating experience at Target today, and thought that your readers deserve to know how the store treats its customers. I’ll start at the beginning.

A month or so ago, I purchased a pair of shoes from Target.com. Unfortunately, when they arrived, I discovered that the supposed size eight was more like 9.5 in this brand (Exhilaration). As soon as I put them on my feet, they slipped off – could not even walk across the room. When I finally made it to Target to return the shoes , I was told by a clerk, whose name is Jay, that my receipt, which I had just printed on my home computer, was not sufficient. She sent me to their store “computer” to print another receipt by logging into my account and accessing the same information I already had in my possession.

I complied with the demand, only to be told midway that I should not continue because I cannot return the shoes anyway. When I asked why, Jay explained that Cherima, the store manager, had deemed the shoes “worn” – their store policy prohibits them from accepting returns on worn items. I stated that I had never worn the shoes because they are about a size and a half too big on me, and told them I would be happy to demonstrate that to them. They were not interested in my demonstrations or in any further statements. Cherima just kept repeating that their “policy prohibits…”

I thought I was a victim of a candid camera prank, but no—they were for real. I asked to speak with Cherima’s boss. She said that he was not there since it was Sunday. The best she could do was give me the phone number of “guest relations”. I asked for a phone – they would not let me use theirs. So, I pulled out my cell and started trying to reach a human. No matter which extension I pressed, I got an automated message. After about four minutes, I gave up.

Cherima repeated their policy … again. Upon hearing it, I lost it and yelled, “I did not wear the shoes, not once!” She told me that she doesn’t think that the situation is “cause” for me to be raising my voice. At this point, I was shaking and on the verge of tears. I told her that I don’t care about the $6.74 that the shoes cost me – I was still there because of the principle. Cherima repeated the policy, showing me some dust around the shoes’ soles. Of course, the smart thing to do would have been to walk over to the shelf where similar shoes are, and show her that all of their soles look like that. But, I didn’t think of that. I asked for the manager’s phone number and left. Instead of calling the manager and listening to the policy one more time, I decided to email Consumerist. I’m attaching a couple of photos of the “worn” shoes.

If you wore those shoes you’re the cleanest person in the history of the planet. So at least you have that going for you.

Anyway, these Target employees were being jerks, but don’t worry– according to Target.com you can print a postage-paid mailing label and just ship the shoes back to Target.com. So, ultimately, you win. Click here for instructions.

Comments

1. CRSpartan01 says:

Target’s customer service seems to have been going down the tube for the past few years. This might be the beginning of the end. Sad.

2. trekwars2000 says:

Who buys shoes that only cost $6.74?

3. Illusio26 says:

@trekwars2000: Lots of women I know.

4. howie_in_az says:

Don’t forget to inform Target of their employees actions and remind them that you’ll be shopping elsewhere from now on.

• SavitashriDawes says:

@howie_in_az:
      I work at a target in Texas, and any time you do that my manager just shrugs his shoulders as you walk out, 90% of the people who say this are back in a week.

5. trekwars2000 says:

@darkjedi26: Funny, I wouldn’t have known womens shoes cost that little after seeing what my wife spends ;)

6. johnwilliams713 says:

@darkjedi26: Do you live in 1947?

7. budboyy2k says:

@trekwars2000: Never question a woman’s shoe-buying habits…

-Brett

8. SkokieGuy says:

@howie_in_az: I disagree. Inform Target of their employee’s actions, and ask them why you should remain a customer.

To announce you’re shopping elsewhere provides no reason for a business to change how they operate. Business want to satisfy their customers, not former customers.

9. wattznext says:

Why does the OP insist on talking in the third person? i hate that…

10. cashmerewhore says:

@budboyy2k:

Ah yes. My closet is full of shoes of all pricepoints. Sometimes I can’t resist the pull of the target clearance rack.

A pair of Isaac Mizrahi heels sits on the floorboard in my husband’s car. I wore them. They are uncomfortable. I can’t return them.

This is true with about 99% of the shoes I’ve bought from target.

11. temporaryerror says:

I’ve always avoided buying shoes online for that precise reason… I like to try them on first. Also, while I do own a pair or two of super cheap flip flops, I’ve always believed that for shoes that will be getting any kind of extended you should spend the money to get a good pair. I’m fine with cheaper shirts/pants, but I never mind paying for a good pair of shoes.

(Please note, not blaming consumer…just stating my opinion.)

12. latemodel says:

Chargeback. Just filing a chargeback will cost Target $25. Even if the cc company decides in Targets favor, they lose the $25. Plus, Targets revenue is going to be down 10% in 2008 while Walmarts is going to be up %12, so target has got to start cutting corners.

13. thelushie says:

@wattznext: What? The OP is writing in the first person.

If they were my size, I would buy them from her. They are cute. Perfect for a little black tshirt and jeans.

@trekwars2000: Shoes on clearance at Target run this low. I won’t spend much for shoes if they are trendy and these are trendy shoes.

14. Kishi says:

@wattznext: Seems to be all first person to me.

15. Hobz says:

@wattznext:

Ummmm… huh?

16. @temporaryerror: I agree. My Ex used to buy Target and Old Navy flip flops @ $2-5 a pop. I finally had enough and bought her a pair of Teva’s, like the pair I have owned for 10 years w/no problem.

17. bohemian says:

@cashmerewhore: I have had the same experience with Target shoes. They are generally so poorly constructed in design that they damage or hurt my feet. So I gave up buying Target shoes, no matter how enticing a pair of cheap shoes are, they are just not going to work.

I have had much better success finding better quality brand name shoes at department store clearance, places like Nordstrom’s rack or (gag) TJ maxx (though I only pay cash there these days).

I really like Skokie Guy’s suggestion of asking them why you should continue to be a customer. Much better than telling them your done and not coming back.

18. MeOhMy says:

Wow that’s crappy. They scored themselves way more than $6.74 worth of unsatisfied customer and bad press.

I still can’t figure out why an underpaid employee would even care that much. Do they get some kind of bonus for denying returns?

19. zentex says:

@budboyy2k: sound advice. at one time I questioned the wife’s…I put that one the list of “things never to do again”.

20. alerievay says:

I disagree with the advice to print a prepaid shipping label. They will deduct the shipping cost from the refund, which is probably as much as the shoes cost in the first place. Call the online customer service number again and make sure they give you free return shipping after telling them how you were treated.

I had an issue returning an online order to a Target store once, and I was able to return it by mail without a shipping charge by doing this.

21. SkokieGuy says:

@Troy F.: It would reasonable to assume that the manager of the returns department is given a metric of returns not exceeding a certain % of sales. And yes, there may well be a bonus tied to lowering return volume.

In addition, I noticed that many stores have an attitude about returning items not physically bought at that store (i.e. another store location or online).

Bohemian – Thank you!
    Cashmerewhore – The best screen name in this thread!

22. Indecent says:

@wattznext:
    1st person: I took the shoes back to target.
    3rd person: Kathy took the shoes back to target.

OP is in first person. Back to grammar school with you.

I had a similar problem with Target returns from online – not accusing of being worn, but them not accepting the receipt I printed from online. I dutifully printed it out where they directed me to instore…and it printed the exact same way. And then they accepted it ^^ Go figure.

23. ret3 says:

@thelushie: @Hobz: @Hobz:

I think y’all have been whooshed…

24. wgrune says:

@wattznext:

Haha, you beat me to it.

25. Zimorodok says:

@latemodel: Guess where they’ll start cutting corners? By clamping down harder on returns and making the process even more aggravating. Soon to require:

-Original receipt, notarized
    -Credit/debit card used for purchase
    -Two forms of Photo ID
    -Social Security card
    -Birth certificate
    -Two witnesses
    -Signed affidavit by cashier & manager that you did, indeed, purchase the item on the date in question
    -Contract wherein you agree to a 15% restocking fee
    -Credit/debit purchases to be refunded in 15 business days.
    -Cash refunds will be issued in the form of a rebate check, to be processed in 8-10 weeks.

I kid. OR DO I??

26. pigbearpug says:

@Kishi:
    @Hobz:
    @thelushie:
    I think he was trying to make a funny out of the fact that the writer identified the OP as I. Pretty witty.

27. floraposte says:

In my experience, it’s easy to hit glitches in returning stuff from Target.com to a Target store. There’s a very specific return barcode that needs to be printed out, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t, and the store doesn’t have access to that much Target.com information. And if they have to call the internet business, they’re stuck waiting on hold forever same as anybody else.

I’ve come to buy online only that stuff I’d be willing to ship back; if it turns out a local return does work, that’s just a nice bonus.

28. LoriLynn says:

@trekwars2000: Possibly someone who doesn’t have a lot of money or who has better other things to spend money on?

29. ryan89 says:

@wattznext: I applaud you for your witty comment AND confusing the heck out of the readers at the same time.

30. cashmerewhore says:

@SkokieGuy: Thanks :D

@bohemian:
    I love that there is a Marshalls near my house — I buy shoes from them regularly. And Macys. Gotta love Macys. Better return policies at both (even if they’re worn).

I swear folks, I do walk around the store in them, but you just don’t know how comfortable they’ll be after say, a wedding.

She should just clean them up and take them to another target. I did return a pair of shoes once, and they did scrutinize the soles and ask me if I had worn them. I apologized for the bit of cat hair on them and said I tried them on again at home and they were too snug. No problems. (No, this is not blaming the OP). Or does the order come with a pre-paid return label that doesn’t deduct the cost of shipping from the merchandise return? Returning them this way could possibly cost target more than the sale price of the shoes!

31. adven2rous says:

Same thing happened to me last Christmas when I tried to exchange a pair of slippers my wife had bought for me. I had tried them on once, at home, for less than 30 seconds. The manager claimed that since there was ONE dog hair in them, they were considered worn and could not be exchanged. I removed the dog hair and the manager had the gall to give me a sarcastic look…Then, after 10 minutes of politely refusing to accept their answer, I managed to get an exchange. I had to try VERY hard not to get angry because of the ridiculousness of the situation, but I think that is why I was able to win. They won’t throw you out of the store if you are VERY polite….they would look like the gestapo…

32. ajlei says:

@wattznext: Don’t worry, I understood your joke. And I chuckled, too.

I used to love Target but I haven’t really been in a few years and I don’t know if I really want to. I can get most things that Target sells at Fred Meyer instead.

33. NotYou007 says:

I’ve never had a single issue with returning anything to Target. I’ve returned a cutting board, that had been used once because it warped, they gave me my cash back without questions. I’ve returned re-chargeable batteries after they had been opened as well. Any store that will let me return a used cutting board is okie dokie in my book.

• generalassembly says:

@NotYou007: I’d have to agree. I’ve returned a ton of things to target, many times without a receipt, without hassle. In fact, Target has always been the most lenient of all the places I’ve returned items.

34. erratapage says:

How many returns do people do? I seldom return anything, so I am always surprised when my return goes smoothly. However, I would expect to be able to easily return shoes that are too big for my feet. And, I would hope that the return process would not result any additional cost to me.

I wonder if this was a simple employee problem or a policy problem. Sometimes, employees working unsupervised on a Sunday are going to do things that are not in the company’s best interest. If it’s a policy problem, I’m baffled. At some point, Target will no longer look like an attractive option for shopping. Given how poor the competition is, I suspect Target has a way before I think it makes sense to shop elsewhere, but I’d rather feel good about shopping at Target, rather than resigned to do so.

When did companies decide they wanted their customers to feel resigned about their shopping experience?

35. PinkBox says:

@trekwars2000: Sure. No woman can resist a sale.

I’ve found $150 shoes for $20 before.

36. myabloodyvalentine says:

although it is easy to hit glitches when returning things to target .. the customer service people could just as easily issue a return and if they were worried about the product being worn, charge them out as ‘damaged’ and donate them to goodwill like all their other damaged or unsaleable clearance merch ..

for the OP why not just return them to another target? just because someone at this one says they are worn doesn’t mean they will at another target?

37. mountaindew says:

Those shoes may have looked worn because they were tried on by many people at the store before being shipped to the online order customer. I once received a pair of shoes that I ordered online, with the sole on the right pair obviously worn, in comparison to the left.

38. bryanoak says:

Target’s customer service has definitely slipped over the past few years. Not too long ago I purchased literally dozens of individual plates and bowls of various sizes for a food shoot. All told, I spent over $250. When I went back to return the 7 or 8 plates that I did not use (total value approx. $35), I was missing the receipt for one of the plates which cost $1.69. Bear in mind that I had all 5 other receipts, clearly showing how many different plates I bought and how much money I spent. Needless to say the customer service rep refused to refund me the $1.69. I tossed it in the trash, but out of sheer principle I have never stepped foot in a Target again.

39. Gopher bond says:

@wattznext:

testsicles got it. testsicles wonders who that second person was though, “As soon as I put them on my feet,”

“Whose feet?” asked testsicles?

40. thalensmom says:

I have those shoes! And they do run big… and even if you find a pair that fit… they make your feet hurt after a while. They are cute, but that’s about it.

41. smirky says:

@ajlei:
    Do you know if I read the comment…let alone chuckled at it?

42. Scoobatz says:

Kindly ask the manager/CSR what time they stop working.

Manager/CSR: “I’m here until 7 PM.”
    Customer: “Good. I’ll be back at 8 PM to return them.”

In my opinion, you have a better chance returning to the store to find a lazy employee then one who will give you more grief.

43. silkyjumbo says:

target dot com is having a rough summer. i ordered 2 cap sleeve dresses online – a gray one and a black one. the gray one showed up but the black dress i was sent was a sleeveless sundress. i liked it so i kept it (it was the same price) and tried to reorder the dress with the sleeves. i was sent another sleeveless dress. i sent that one back and ordered a sleeveless dress (“i’ll beat them at their own game,” i thought). i got…a sleeveless dress. looks like the stockroom is having problems.

44. sinrtb says:

I dont get why everyone is complaining about the receipt needing to e printed on site. That is just common sense, I would be all about going garage saleing(sp?) one weekend and then forge a bunch of receipts for target.
    Although Target is way out of line for not accepting their own receipt once printed. The receipt has a date of purchase the shoes are in almost new condition whats the problem?

45. rinse says:

Shouldn’t the headline read “Target Will Not Let I. Return These Shoes” instead of “Will Not Let YOU?” ;)

46. mandymoon says:

Still trying to audition as a commenter. Especially here becasue I was just informed by target that If I didn’t opt out in writing of their interest rate increase that the APR is going up to 29.99%.

47. MyPetFly says:

So easy and inexpensive to keep a customer happy… but NOOOOOOOO…!

48. ajlei says:

@smirky: I. might’ve.. I know I did!

49. MyPetFly says:

“The receipt has a date of purchase the shoes are in almost new condition whats the problem?”

The problem? Idiots working at Target…

50. picardia says:

@wattznext: Uh — she doesn’t?

51. Kishi says:

@pigbearpug: That had completely slipped my mind by the time I got that far down the comments. Thanks. =)

52. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

I am surprised at Target’s refusal. Walmart lets you take back anything – no questions asked – even if it can’t be restocked. Today I saw a used dusty vacuum returned and also some steaks. I know that many here hate Walmart but they are doing something right. Walmart generates $sales /sqft that far surpass Target. Even their return line is busier than Target’s checkouts.

53. Dave J. says:

Since we’re on the subject of customer service re. shoe returns, I have to give some props to PiperLime (Banana Republic’s online shoe shop)–I bought a pair of shoes from them a few months back, wore them for about 3 weeks, whereupon they started causing me serious and really painful hip problems. I typically run 3-4 miles a day, and I could barely walk 20 feet. The problem went away as soon as I stopped wearing the shoes. Even though the shoes were pretty worn, with scratches and assorted scuffs, they sent me a pre-paid return slip, and gave me full credit on the return, no questions asked. Yay for them.

54. lauy says:

@latemodel:

Can’t do a chargeback because the OP still has the shoes in their possession.

Note regarding chargebacks:

For an amount this small, the financial institution that issued the card would most likely credit the cardholder and take it as a loss if all dispute criteria had been met, as it would cost them more to process the chargeback. The merchant would never see it. In the long run more low dollar chargebacks equals higher bank fees passed onto the consumer. Something to keep in mind when firing off the chargeback suggestion. A bit of time and EECBs are a better solution IMHO.

55. jswilson64 says:

I’d start with a quick drive to return the shoes at one of the 3 _other_ Target stores within about 5 miles of my house.

56. bart234465 says:

A guest came to my lane, and wanted to speak to a manager, because a pair of shoes she found were obviously worn, but were at regular price. So I show them to her, and she only would give the guest 10% off. The guest wanted half off but my manager refused. I guess my store still takes back shoes even with worn out soles…

57. Jesse says:

@temporaryerror:

I’m the same way. I’ll spend the money on shoes if they last me. I have a pair of Keen sandals I wear all the time during summer months and they are still in great shape after two years.

58. MissPeacock says:

@Dave J.: That’s really good to know. I’ve been thinking about buying some shoes from them, but wasn’t sure how easy they were to deal with.

59. KatieKate93 says:

@darkjedi26: Women who have to supplement their wardrobe after those $600 boots they had to have . . . trust me.

60. snoop-blog says:

You know, buying shoes online is harder than buying eyeglasses online…

I think at one point or another we have all experienced the phenomenon of different brands having a different idea about what a size ‘9’ really is. Just like some brands of jeans 30 inch waist is a different size than another brands 30in, although in theory they should be the same. heck I’ve botten 2 identical pairs of old navy pants and both said 30in, but one pair is more loose than the other.

61. kellkell says:

$6.74 for a pair of shoes from Target is still too much. Shoes are one of those things that you should spend a little more to make sure you’re comfortable.
    Oh and like alerievay said, that prepaid label isn’t free, they’ll end up paying the return shipping when they take it out of the refund.

62. springboks says:

That’s really a shame esp with the competitive nature of shoe retail online. I’ve had excellent luck with zappos.com granted they claim free shipping but tack on an extra $10 to their price. It’s be a great experience for the free shipping both ways.

I had worn a pair of shoes (and I do mean worn – like hiking) and returned them. No quibble. I simply explained that the shoes didn’t fit right. Got my money back!

It’s silly Target would kick a fuss over a $7 pair of shoes. Customer retention is not a priority of theirs. I’ve always said Target is the new Wal-Mart.

63. Carso says:

Nothing like this would ever happen at Macy’s!

64. Rachael says:

It is tough to buy shoes online, which is why I stick to zappos since they haven’t given me issues.

It’s strange, I went to Target to return an item of clothing and was shocked when the person behind the counter grabbed it, hit a button, and said “that’s it.” I figured I’d be going through the ringer on it! I guess it’s just a matter of who is behind the desk at any given moment.

65. Dave J. says:

@MissPeacock: Honestly, I love BR returns. My most amazing experience was the time I bought some expensive jeans from them, wore them for a week, and then discovered that their antiqued brass rivets had scratched the living hell out of my dining room chairs. They paid for the chairs to be refinished (5 chairs @ $75 each), took back the jeans, and gave me $50 cash as a goodwill gesture. They wanted minor documentation–photos of the chairs and an invoice from the repair place–but nothing unreasonable at all. In the past three years I’ve probably returned 8-10 items to them, either bought online or in stores, and I’ve never had a single problem.

66. rshettle says:

Easy there crazy lady…

67. P41 says:

Am I the only one who sees that if the shoes aren’t the size they’re supposed to be, they’re “defective”? Go ahead and chargeback, after all they refused to take possession.

You want to give return another try though, to try with a different agent.

68. RobinB says:

Way back in high school I worked for Thom McAn and JC Penney, both of which accepted returns of shoes clearly worn at least once. Didn’t matter if the customer had went out dancing in them the night before, we still took them back. The managers then would have loved to take back your clean, shiny new shoes.

69. normawilahmina says:

This surprises me. A friend recently left Target after working there for years, and she said their policy was to accept anything a guest attempted to return as long as they had a receipt. She and the other employees would complain because they had to repackage and label returned underpants and put them on the shelves on a regular basis. Who’s going to buy obviously returned underpants? They also took returns from online all the time. They just sell them to someone else in the store.

70. SJActress says:

I buy shoes for $6.00 all the time. Costumes can be expensive and good or cheap and good. I go with the latter.

71. closed_account says:

@pigbearpug: I don’t see that Whitty has posted. How do you know he or she is pretty anyway?

72. closed_account says:

*witty. oops.

73. thelushie says:

I am assuming “Reader I.” as in the FIRST INITIAL I. It could stand for Ingrid, Isabella, etc.

74. thelushie says:

That was directed aqt @rinse: @wattznext:

75. AI says:

@Dave J.: I can’t believe they reimbursed you for the chairs. All jean rivets scratch most types of wood, so you’d think they’d never admit liability for it. Good for you though.

76. Sparkstalker says:

@latemodel:

And in cutting those corners, Target is just going to wind up being Wal-Mart.

77. Pro-Pain says:

Don’t buy anything at Target that you would consider returning. The End. I used to work there back in the day in undercover (lol) loss prevention, what a joke…
    The employees were the ones stealing, NOT the customers. Have a nice day!

78. Gokuhouse says:

Didn’t I comment on Target having practically zero customer service a week or two ago? Wow, first they hate old ladies and now they hate shoes they believe to have been worn.

If I owned a company, especially one of this size, I would be much much more into making my customers happy. Target used to be known for having great customer service back in the day. My parents told me stories of how easy it was to return items there compared to other places….well, not anymore.

BTW: I have returned shoes to Wal-Mart before and have had no problems with it.

79. AgentTuttle says:

See, big businesses like these use the word “policy” as if it were written by God. You need to point out to them that you also have a policy and that they are in conflict with each other.

80. thelushie says:

@Gokuhouse: It is a shame that customer service (as it is known here) has gone downhill. Unfortunately, it is customers taking advantage and abusing return policies that made them clamp down.

81. baristabrawl says:

@trekwars2000: And men. I know the cheaper something is the more likely I am to buy it, ugly or not.

82. Gorphlog says:

@mandymoon:

They make you opt out in writing to avoid an interest rate increase? I cant imagine anyone out there the WOULDNT want to opt out of an interest rate increase. That is just ridiculous

83. dragonprism says:

You probably got the worst team lead to answer that question, ever.

They’re always trained to “agree with the Guest” aka customer, usually.

84. AlexandraCurvus says:

That’s ridiculous. I returned a pair of Sneakers I bought from Target once, that fell about after a few uses. I had them maybe 2-3 months. They took them when they saw what garbage they were, as is most of their clothes. I even have a them song for their line: “Cherokee cheap junk, Cherokee cra aap”  -sung to the tune of that old Cherokee People song from the 70’s

85. Frank_Trapasso says:

@Scoobatz:

Someone asking me what time I got off work after I did something they didn’t like would be interpreted as their suggesting we settle it in the parking lot.

86. Ouze says:

I was with you, I., until I read this – “At this point, I was shaking and on the verge of tears.”.

No, no no, dear. Sometimes you’re the bug, and sometimes you’re the windshield – that’s life. But don’t like the world beat you down over a pair of shoes that barely cost more then a happy meal. No retail monkey should be able to do that to you. You’re better then that.

Keep your cool, and keep your head up and straight. Either go back to another Target, go back to this one on a different day, go up the chain at this target, or else otherwise publicly shame them (like posting on consumerist, for example, or even call it a loss and throw them out – but don’t ever let minimum wage dictators with unwarranted delusions of grandeur see they are getting to you. That’s like candy to them.

87. Jesse in Japan says:

Shoes that cost 6.74? I would have just done reverse shoplifting (covertly slipping the item onto the shelf). That would have at least confused them.

88. bwcbwc says:

@howie_in_az: After she gets her refund, not before.

89. bwcbwc says:

Consumerist: One problem with returning the shoes to target.com: The shipping cost is borne by the consumer unless there was an error in the order on Target’s part. For a pair of $6.74 shoes, the shipping cost (unless you are a bulk shipper) could easily be higher than the price of the shoe.
    @Ouze: The best revenge is letting them THINK they’ve gotten to you and silently laughing at the failure their ignorant, petty little schemes.

• doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

@bwcbwc: Aaaah, but these size 8 shoes are NOT size 8… not the OP’s error.

@normawilahmina: Used underpants? Returned by gnomes?? That’s STEP 2!!!

1. Steal underpants
      2. RETURN TO TARGET!
      3. Profit!!!

Finally, one of life’s big questions is answered.

90. Always perform exchanges right before the store’s closing. By nature, most employees are tired at this point and aren’t going to put up much of a fight. They just want to close out their register so they can chill out watching others do the re-shop and zoning, the worst task just above bathroom inspections.

91. Jonpaulk says:

Very similar thing happened to me at Famous Footwear, can’t say I’ll be going back there anytime soon either.

92. Tansis says:

I guess Target has to hold on to the little profit they make from purchased lower end items like $6.74 shoes anyway they can. [money.cnn.com]

93. keen0 says:

Target’s policy is to not return worn shoes. This became such a problem for the company, Corporate sent out a letter to the stores that all the Guest Services people had to sign, agreeing they wouldn’t return them. It seems to me the GSTM didn’t want to go against their team leader and risk termination. In a situation like this, I would advise to ask for the LOD (Lead on Duty), as they should be a bit more willing to bend the policy if it’s obvious the shoes are in good condition. And as for the return receipt for Target.com items, go to Target.com, scroll to the bottom and click “Return an Item” and follow the prompts, this is what we’ll make you do in the store anyway.

94. narq says:

Where am I supposed to shop consumerist? Where?! Every place I thought was safe is now trying to rip me off! Things like this are just plain stupid. People wear the shoes in the store to try them on. So, what’s the problem? Unless they have marks or look worn in a bit then they should have to return them. Especially an online purchase. It seems like the only place left to get good customer service anymore is amazon.

95. Ilovemygeek says:

Those shoes are almost spitting images of my Rocket Dogs. If your looking for comfy cute flats like that check those out. Endless and Zappos carry them and they have free shipping and returns.

96. Ben Popken says:

Target – fascist retail with pretty colors.

97. delphi_ote says:

Never bother with Target store employees. They’re all worthless. If you have a problem, call customer service and escalate until you find someone who cares.

98. bcsus83 says:

one more reason NOT to shop at Target, as if there weren’t already enough others. ;)

99. vladthepaler says:

I’d like to know how the OP planned to demonstrate that the shoes are so big they fall off without actually putting them on. Target is right, she did wear the shoes. Now if Target were a bowling alley they could spray the shoes and stick them back on the shelf. But Target sells new, unused merchandise.

Next time you want shoes, buy from Zappos.

100. Brunette Bookworm says:

I have those shoes and I don’t think they were that large. The size I normally wear fit fine, but I purchased them at the store. I think the manufacturer mislabeled the size. I would try returning them to another Target, if you think the gas money is worth trying. Otherwise, donate the shoes somewhere and think of the $6.74 as a donation.

101. EdinaGalumph says:

I bought a pair of jeans on sale there once and found a small hole in them, when I got them home. They still had the tags on them and I took them back to exchange. They didn’t have anymore of that style so they told me they didn’t refund on sale items and an exchange wasn’t possible so they would not be able to do anything for me. They sell shoddy merchandise and then refuse to resolve so I quit buying clothing there and most everything else, due to their lousy policies.
    What do you expect from a store that pays it’s employees minimum wage though…

102. nintendude says:

Ever cross anyone’s mind that maybe she should try the next Target around the block? Around where I live, there’s two in the same city. The employees are just being asses.

103. Audlyenough says:

Or get rid of them as fast as you can because the pair I bought – the plastic heel support inside the cloth quickly cracked, cut through the plastic and then disintegrated into little plastic shards spilling out into my shoes and making them less than comfortable.

Guess I can’t return them now….I should have resisted…

104. Anonymous says:

it says on targets website that items purchased online cannot be returned in a store, but instead need to be returned through manufactor to get a refund. maybe this person should have read that.