The summer travel season might be winding down, but that won’t stop thieves from trying to paw your precious valuables. Keep them at bay with the following eight tips…
- Carry On Valuables. Travel guru Peter Greenberg says there are two types of luggage: carry-on, and lost. Keep your valuables with you at all times.
- Don’t Need It? Don’t Bring It. Leave the nice diamond earrings and flashy bracelets at home.
- Pack Valuables In See-Through Bags. Put an extra layer between your valuables and crooked TSA wannabes so they don’t have a reason to directly handle your rubies.
- Make Your Bag Screener Friendly. Beyond the clear bag, deter opportunistic thieves and secondary screenings by packing in layers so your bag will image cleanly.
- Don’t Throw Loose Items Into Screening Bins. Stash your cellphone and keys in your bag before pushing it through the scanner.
- Don’t Leave Your Bags Unattended. Is that your checked bag at the other end of the carousel with the Care Bears tag? Don’t put down your carry-on to go look.
- Safes! Use safes wherever you go because they work.
- Trust Nobody. Don’t believe tour guides who say it’s safe to leave things unattended on a tour bus. It’s not.