“Condom!” is a free ringtone for your phone. It’s being promoted in India as part of a campaign to normalize condom use, but there’s no reason you can’t put it on your own phone to impress and amaze fellow diners, bus riders, church goers, etc. It’s also catchy! [Crave]

Comments

1. sir_pantsalot says:

If they could some how get Apu in on this deal and have him end the message with “please come again” then I would have to get that on my phone.

2. SinisterMatt says:

That’s an interesting idea. I wonder how many people both in India and elsewhere will actually adopt that as it is.

Cheers!

3. MercuryPDX says:

I recently downloaded the “Crash Twinsanity” soundtrack which is acapella done by a group called Spiralmouth.

I will gladly put “Condom” into the shuffle with “Worm Chase” by Spiralmouth on my phone:

4. Cogito Ergo Bibo says:

OMG. I’m absolutely downloading that sucker. It’s hilarious! If you haven’t listened to it yet, you simply must. It’s complete, over-the-top cheese! An a cappella masterpiece. And you’ll certainly be the only person you know with that ringtone.

Bonus points if your phone rings during Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner with the folks.

5. bbernardini says:

That is the most awesome thing that ever awesomed.

6. ShabazOSU says:

I have a friend who lives in India, so I texted him about this, and he had no idea what I was talking about.

7. chiieddy says:

@ShabazOSU: This kind of thing is usually aimed at truck drivers and other populations who frequent prostitutes.

8. yasth says:

@Cogito Ergo Bibo: Just stay away from me as it is now my ringtone. And there should really only be one person reaching into their pocket at the cry of condom.

9. shaken_bake says:

NPR did a story on this yesterday and the ringtone is hilarious and quite catchy, although unless someone had told me what word they were singing, it would have been hard to recognize it as such. You can really hear the Indian accents of the singers – so cute! hey, if it helps decrease HIV in Inida or anywhere, rock on!

10. dorianh49 says:

@Cogito Ergo Bibo: and how many points if it rings in church?

11. drjayphd says:

@SinisterMatt: NPR sez, on yesterday’s All Things Considered, 60,000. Which is maybe 0.01% of Indian cell phone users.

12. goodywitch says:

Me wantee! Now I really, really wish that I were Indian.

13. TVarmy says:

Heh. It’s just hard enough to tell, it could be like that “so i herd you leik mudkips” meme, in which it has a risque beginning (look it up on Urban Dictionary, it’s not just a cutesy meme), but people hear it and laugh at it without knowing the past.

Send around the file with a different name, and maybe it’ll be the new crazyfrog.

14. drjayphd says:

@TVarmy: (looks it up) Aw geez, of course it’d be a 4ch–OH MY GOD WHY DID I READ THAT

(adds the “nightmare fuel” tag to your comment)