Best Buy De-Hoses Washers To Save Money?

An alleged Best Buy employee tells us that the company has stopped including inlet water hoses in some Inglis, Whirlpool and Maytag top-loading washers it sells. According to the blurry photos he sent us, employees are now supposed to push this $27 accessory hose product on customers who buy the washers. Update: we don’t know if the decision originated with the manufacturers or Best Buy.

Anonymous writes:

I work at a Best Buy store and I discovered this bit of information while going through employee news. Whirlpool and Maytag top-loading washers will no longer come with the inlet water hoses (the hot and cold water hoses), but they will be sold separately. The loss of our free delivery, combined with the previous price hike for range and dryer power cords (from 19.99 to 27.99) a short while ago, irritated me enough to pass this along to you folks.

These two images are from the printout I made of the employee news item. I had to take them with my phone because my scanner is not working and I apologize for the bad quality but everything should be readable.

As far as I know, washer hoses will still come with Whirlpool and Maytag front loading washers.

Comments

1. chiieddy says:

That’s pretty low. They’re removing a part that comes WITH the washer and selling it separately. I wonder what Maytag and Whirlpool would have to say about that. Maybe they should start stamping the hoses with ‘this unit not labeled for individual sale’.

2. rpm773 says:

As long as it’s a hose from Monster Cable, I’m willing to pay extra.

3. MyPetFly says:

That’s hosed, man.

Seriously, I wonder if that’s legal? I would imagine it is, but I also wonder if it might violate some sort of merchant agreement with the manufacturers.

4. ryan89 says:

FD: I sold appliances for 4.5 years, but I do not anymore. Peers still come to me for advice about their purchase.

The hoses they came with were junk anyway. I always tell people to spend the $25-30 on the stainless steel braid covered hoses to prevent catastrophic leaks in the future. The rubber hoses they came with would deteriorate from the inside out and you will never know there’s a problem until it is too late.

My guess this should be an anti-Whirlpool post and not an anti-BBY post as this was a MFR decision to cut costs.

5. dieselman8 says:

What? You say best buy is ripping people off with crappy, yet necessary accessories?? Shocking. Just shocking.

6. bohemian says:

$27 for a washer hose or a power cord?
    I think I paid less than $10 for each (hoses or cord) at Ace Hardware.

7. Raanne says:

This sounds like it was Whirlpool’s decision, not best buy’s, and best buy is responding to the decision to be sure to let customers know that it isn’t included, and they can buy the part there?

8. The blurry top picture says something about “Manufacturing that happened August 1st.” Perhaps there were a batch of defective rubber hoses, so they need to be removed and it’s easier to replace w/the stainless? I need to see more photos.

9. bohemian says:

@ryan89: Ace Hardware $9 – $11

[www.acehardwaresuperstore.com]

10. SkokieGuy says:

Appliance Shrink Ray applied succesfully.

Clearly appliance manufacturers have learned from printer manufacturers. Free printer with computer purchase, but you have to buy a $35.00 cable to make it work.

11. SkokieGuy says:

That phrase: “De-hoses”. Hmmn, a Canadian who becomes an American citizen?

12. ryan89 says:

@bohemian: Good call. Note those prices are per hose and you would need 2.

But seriously people, its worth $20, especially if you have main floor/second floor laundry.

13. GMFish says:

rpm773, darn, you beat me to it!

14. @Git Em SteveDave displays attention-grabbing vanity: Also, the bottom line of the top picture reads, “In the future, Best Buy is looking to add new rubber hoses as an altern(ative)” It ends there. Why would they only remove hoses from boxes manufactured after a certain date in order to screw the customer? There seems to be more to this.

15. ???/??? says:

@SkokieGuy:

Holy tits, you need to be punched in the privates for paying $35 for a USB cable. However, I’ve actually wondered why this is that no place sells the cable with it anymore?

I just went and brought a Brother printer the other day and it didn’t come with a USB cable. However, I bought the same printer on NewEgg and still… no cable – so I know its not something to do with the store itself. I don’t even believe its something to do with Brother cause they don’t even sell USB cables.

16. zibby says:

I’ve got it on good authority that this is a trial balloon of sorts; if it flies, they’re just going to start selling the blueprints of the washer for $700.00 and you’ll need to buy all the components seperately and assemble them yourself.

17. Shrink_Ray_Bandit says:

@SkokieGuy:

Customer A: I already have a USB Cable, I think you should discount this printer $15 so I don’t have to pay for something I already have!

Customer B: I need a USB cable that is longer than 6′ this printer came with, I think you should give me $15 toward the purchase of a different cable because this came with something I didn’t need.

Customer C: I only needed a 3′ cable came with a ridiculous 6′ cable. Who could even use a 6′ cable? I think you should give me a 3′ cable a $15 dollars because I didn’t need that obscene 6′ cable the printer came with!

Anyway, on a side note, back when printers came with free cables they had 1/2 filled starter inks. Now every major manufacturer includes 100% full set of ink with their printers.

18. pgh9fan says:

Package splitting where a retailer splits an item bought as one piece and sells it as two pieces is, I believe, illegal.

19. Shrink_Ray_Bandit says:

@pgh9fan: Sam’s sells a case of candy bars as one unit. They mar marked for individual resale. The guy that runs the kwik-mart down the street from my house sells them to me one at a time. He even sold one to a cop once while I was there. I think cops know about stuff that’s illegal. I think you don’t.

20. usa_gatekeeper says:

Ala carte pricing 2008 is now gravitating from the airlines to appliances. This could get interesting. Oh, the possibilities!

21. Shrink_Ray_Bandit says:

@Shrink_Ray_Bandit: mar = are

22. acknight says:

@pgh9fan: For food items not marked for resale, perhaps.

23. bologna_wallet says:

Your scanner isn’t working? Maybe geek squad could fix it

24. Dobernala says:

@Shrink_Ray_Bandit: If the individual pieces are not properly labeled with nutritional information, it likely violates some FDA regulation. Local cop probably doesn’t know or care about federal stuff.

25. @ryan89: Yes, and we learned the hard way, coming back from a three-day trip to a flooded first floor. When we moved to a new place a bought new appliances, we bought the best hoses we could find.

Wouldn’t matter to us if Whirlpool included hoese or not–we’d buy our own.

26. latemodel says:

Manufacturers may be trying to head off lawsuits over washer hoses failing and flooding peoples homes. Or, BB is just trying to make a few easy bucks. I worked at a retail store many years ago and we we instructed to remove items from packages and put them up for sale at the counter. DOnt know it that was legal or not.

27. Shrink_Ray_Bandit says:

@Dobernala: Have you ever, ever, ever, ween a piece of candy that was bar coded for individual sale that did not have the dietary facts?

As for your comment about the cop, I sighed, then face-palmed, then walked away.

28. traviswalden says:

I worked in the Appliance industry until Feb. 07. Last summer, Whirlpool and Maytag made a decision to not ship hoses with their washers. Due to outcry from the appliance dealerships, they recended this decision with the promise that they would stop shipping hoses in the future. Where I worked, we charged $5 per hose for a total of $10 for the set. It is Best Buy overcharging for basic hoses in response to Whirlpool deciding to stop shipping hoses. They even tout this as a positive thing for the sellers because they can make more profit from selling the hoses. They also stated that it gave the customer more choice, like they didn’t have choice before, now they have to make a choice.

29. Norcross says:

My wife and I bought a new W&D from Home Depot about 2 months ago, and it was the same thing: hoses not included. Being that it was the first time I’d ever purchased one, I assumed that was how it had always been.

30. quail says:

If it’s $25 to $30 for the fancy, no-leak, braided hoses then I don’t see it as a problem. If they’re asking that much for the cheapy hoses, then Best Buy is bending the customer over once again.

On a side note: When Maytag got bought by Whirlpool the quality of their appliances spiraled down the crapper fast. I don’t see myself buying either brand anytime soon.

31. dragonfire81 says:

@pgh9fan: But if the manufacturer decides to start omitting the piece from its units, I think it’s legal for the retailer to try and sell you one they they stock.

32. balthisar says:

And of course, most people that buy washers are replacing washers, meaning, they’ve already got hoses.

Kind of like the printer example above — I’ve got more USB hoses (err, cables) than I know what to do with.

33. BlondeGrlz says:

@Norcross: When we bought our dryer from Home Depot we told them we didn’t need the hose (vent pipe, whatever it’s called) because we had one. The guy “accidentally” added one to our order anyway and tried to give us a hard time about removing it. He said he’d have to completely cancel the order, void our transaction, re-order it and run the credit card again. I told him FINE YOU DO THAT, because I was so pissed he was trying to force us to buy something we didn’t need. I guess there is a tiny chance it really was an accident but all this arguing over a $9 hose made me really dislike that Home Depot.

34. ironchef says:

Best Buy will also refuse to install a gas dryer no matter how good the gas line’s condition is.

You must buy a new gas line before they will install a dryer.

35. anatak says:

36. Raanne says:

@anatak: that pisses me off so much. i have a great garbage disposal at home that i have never installed, because i have yet to get around to buying the cord. :-/

37. SigmundTheSeaMonster says:

Floodsafe® makes a hose that not only is braided, but shuts the flow if there is a problem. Plus they are listed from $16-20.

38. SigmundTheSeaMonster says:

Oh, plus this isn’t unusual news from the BestBuy corp-asses.
    My brother (he settled out of court) used to work for BB and showed me the text about inkjets no longer including USB cables. They were to push the $24.95 1meter and $44.95 2.5meter Belkin cables. Their cost (on the computer) were around $2.35 to $2.95.

Trust me, NEVER buy accessories from BB. The internet…now that’s the bargain!

39. @ironchef: back in my BBY appliance days, i always understood that to be a liability issue, not a gouging issue.

40. ryan89 says:

@ironchef: BBY (and probably most appliance places) will not install using an old gas line. Besides, its a gas line; replace it.

41. ryan89 says:

@balthisar: They’ve already got hoses that are probably 15 years old and corroded to no other on the inside. I wouldn’teven trust the neoprene w/stainless steel braid for that long.

But I agree with you on the USB cables. I think every USB device I’ve ever bought except printers will come with a cable. I bought a motherboard once that came with IDE cables for the hard drives and cd-roms, and then the drives I bought came with IDE cables too so I have a lot of extra IDE cables.

42. midwestkel says:

@bohemian: http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com (local franchise?) is different then http://www.acehardware.com (national store). Anyway I didnt know even if you pay a frachising fee with Ace Hardware that you can have your own website instead of reffering to the corporate site.

But if you buy your accessories for you washer from an “electronic store” then you fail.

43. econobiker says:

I echo the deal about the stainless hoses being better.

One thing is will they still include the drain hose? I prefer the cheap smooth rubber hoses to the corrugated plastic hoses that are like huge drinking straws. I actually owned a house with my ex-wife in which we had purchased the w/d combo in the basement. I think the lady who sold the place tried to conceal the fact that the washer drain over-flowed foam when in use. I figured out it was the corrugated hose at fault in making the foam. The hose design cavitated the exiting soapy water into foam. By purchasing a cheap smooth rubber hose, problem was pretty much solved from massive foam overflow. A little foam now and then but across the floor like before. I would later extend the wall mounted drain a couple of feet to accomodate an air conditioning condensate drain (yeah illegal in many areas but cheaper than replacing the electric pump doing it) which then totally eliminated any foam overflow.

44. econobiker says:

sorry:
    but NOT across the floor like before

45. jswilson64 says:

@ryan89: Seconded about the braided stainless steel hoses.

People, listen up!!! The black rubber hoses that come with most washing machines are not rated for “always on” use, even though that’s how everyone uses them. If you RTFM, you’re supposed to turn the water on before using the clothes washer, and off after using it. Unless you use the fancy braided stainless hoses.

I just wish there was some way to show ‘em off, then I’d get some that were anodized blue and red with chrome-plated fittings…

46. JustaConsumer says:

Sears does the same thing. No hoses.

47. ryan89 says:

@jswilson64: And not to mention a lot of them say “REPLACE EVERY 5 YEARS” right on the hose. Take a look next time you are in a place that sells appliances and they have the hoses with the demo unit.

48. floraposte says:

@Shrink_Ray_Bandit: I’m not sure what you’re saying here. From your account, the bars are legally marked for individual sale. Therefore even if the cop was for some reason enforcing for federal agencies on the side, there’s no reason s/he would object.

However, I wouldn’t in general expect a cop to be up on FDA or, for that matter, FTC regulations, as it’s certainly not part of the police’s job to enforce them. They might know same as you might know, but it’s not like they regularly bust grocery stores for selling goods without ingredient lists.

49. I would have to say a Appliances was the least scammy of all the BBY departments I worked in. Other than PSPs (in most cases), there weren’t many add-ons that didn’t have a real value to the customer.

50. Con Seannery says:

They do it with printers, this is the next logical step in customer rape. Take out a part that by all means should be included, sell it at massive markups, MONEY!

51. cosby says:

Chances are Best Buy told the vendors to stop throwing them in the box. The vendor doesn’t care as best buy is paying the same for it without the cables. Now best buy gets to add some extra profit into the sale by selling the cables seperatly.

52. Marshfield says:

@anatak: It’s kinda like ranges (and garbage disposals, and dishwashers) not coming with a cord. Rather inevitable.
    I was thinking of that too, but the deal with ranges is that there are at least two different sockets to plug into, and they are NOT interchangeable.

Washer hoses, on the other hand, are completely interchangeable with a universal connector.

And on the topic of crummy hoses: I have some friends who have a tall skinny house, with garage on the bottom, living area one flight up and bedrooms another flight up. Laundry at the top (convenient!). They went away for a long weekend to the cabin, and coming home on Sunday, found warm water leaking out of their garage door. The washer hose had sprung a leak, spraying hot water for 48 hrs — and the water heater was able to keep up, so it was HOT or warm water for the whole weekend. House was a steam bath from top to bottom.
    Had to rip it down to the studs, all new everything. They were in temp housing for nearly a year.
    Now… would you like to get the stainless jacketed hoses for a slight upcharge, or risk the cheap factory hoses?

53. @cosby: best buy doesn’t have the pull to do that. and you know who makes most of the appliance accessories that BBY sells? Frigidaire. Everyone knows that the profit margins are in accessories, not the main unit.

54. Norcross says:

@BlondeGrlz: yeah…they didn’t mention the dryer vent (which we didn’t need). it was strictly the water hose.

55. pikemu says:

Whirlpool (Maytag, Whirlpool, Amana) has made the decision to remove the hoses from their lower end washers these are mostly the top mount washer. All front loads and the Cabrio and Bravos top loads will still have hoses. They are jumping on the grenade for the rest of the manufactures this is almost like the fee hikes on the airlines side. Look for the other manufactures to follow suit after 90 days. I read the post someone was talking about a company not installing a gas appliance without a new gas line, unfortunately this is a good move by the selling company, mainly because this is something you and the selling store want to make sure is good. This is especially true in the litigious society today from the stores standpoint.

56. Ragman says:

The package splitting being referred to as illegal refers to breaking out a single package marked for sale as a whole package. I knew of a couple of computer places that got in trouble (AFAIK) for doing stuff like opening the Sound Blaster sound cards and pulling out the extra software and selling it separate from the sound card. The candy bar packs from the warehouse clubs are meant to be sold individually and are marked for it.

It really sounds like it’s the manufacturer that’s pulling the hoses to save money.

I’ve noticed that my PVRs and DVD players always seem to come with a 6 to 8 foot AV cable. Most of the time I only need 3-4 feet. Between Altex and Radio Shack, I set up my home theater with more appropriately sized (and priced) cables.

@jswilson64: You could show’em off by having a plumber relocate your spigots. Put an accent light in the recess, digital water thermometer display, paint a tsunami on the washer, flames on the dryer… :-P

57. tek1024 says:

I worked for Best Buy a number of years ago. Accessory cabling on computers and printers is the biggest item in terms of sheer profit in the entire computer department (except for the warranties, of course). Manufacturers send Best Buy retail boxes that lack basic cabling (USB, for instance) and have half-filled cartridges (for printers) specifically so Best Buy can sell more of these items in-store.

58. MrEvil says:

The Maytag Washer I bought to replace my Kenmore that is older than I am came with rubber hoses. The Stainless steel braided lines I had on the Kenmore were still in good shape. I don’t know what I did with the hoses that came with the Maytag.

59. HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak says:

@한국어/조선말: Best Buy, Walmart, etc. are to blame there. They put major pressure on their suppliers to leave out “accessory items” like USB cables, specifically so they can sell overpriced aftermarket cables. And, if the supplier won’t do it, they’ll drop the product like a hot potato, which costs the manufacturer tons of business.

Some manufacturers will make 2 SKU’s: one with all the needed cables for outlets like Newegg, and one without for Wal-Mart and its brethren. Sounds like Brother felt it wasn’t worth the hassle to do this, and just decided to remove the cables from all its printers.

60. rushevents says:

Being a former best buyer myself – THE HOSES COME IN THE BOX!!!! So unless you are buying a floor model the hoses are coming with the delivery. The salesmen never come close to being able to “remove” the hoses.

This is either a case of someone dying to badmouth BB or a case of an overzealous (local) supervisor pushing his folks to sell accessories or die – now that I can bekieve.

Dryers are a different story – powercords are separate and ALWAYS have been due to different electrical codes across the US

61. Morvus says:

@rushevents: I am the employee who sent this story to Consumerist, and it seems that people are getting confused as to what is happening. This was an item on Best Buy’s employee news, which they can access from their ETK kiosks. The Article ID is 7432, published on 08/19/08, and it states:

“Effective immediately the water inlet hoses are being removed from the Inglis top load washer. This was a change in manufacturing that happened Aug. 1. Within the next four days the Model ITW4300SQ (SKU 7822216) you’ll sell in your store won’t include the inlet hose. This isn’t the only model that will be affected.

All of the Whirlpool and Maytag traditional top load washers will be transitioning Oct. 19. After this transition, these washers won’t include water inlet hoses either (there aren’t any changes to other laundry brands at this time.)

Offer customers the stainless (burst-resistant) washer hoses as a necessary attachment to these models (Smart Choice – 6′ Stainless-Steel Washing Machine Fill Hose).

In the future Best Buy is looking to add new rubber hoses as an alternative attachment option.

What do you need to do?

Remove the rubber hoses from the current Inglis and Thin Twins displays as to not confuse staff or customers.

Let customers know they will need to purchase a hose since it is not included with these models.”

Best buy is not opening up boxes and removing hoses, the new Inglis washers (and Whirlpool and Maytag washers after October 19th) will not be coming with water hoses. I wanted to pass this along to everyone because it seems that more and more items are being sold incomplete and I think that’s a shame.

62. techman01 says:

Whirlpool the manufactuer is no longer including the hoses in any of their brands which includes maytag, frigidaire, and of course whirlpool itself. It was effective August 18.

Don’t be surprised if GE follows suit…

Has nothing to do with BestBuy; ALL retailers will now have to sell them seperately.

63. bcsus83 says:

huh…I’ve never bought a new washer that came with hoses.

64. Apeweek says:

I bought a dishwasher from Best Buy; they promised free installation, but tried to make me buy a hose. I said “nope, just use the hose that is already connected (to the old dishwasher.)”

When the installer showed up, he refused to use the (perfectly good) old hose, and insisted on charging me for a new hose. So this is their version of a “free installation.”

65. nerdychaz says:

Anyone want a car without a gas tank? Same principle really. They should sell the power cord separate too! Then they can really stick it to you!

66. lorenjfisher says:

The staff price at future shop where I used to work for a printer cable is like 2.90 whereas the customer pays like 20 bucks.

Batteries are also are marked up insanely.

67. whoareyou says:

Back in June I received a Maytag washer with 4 foot long rubber hoses. They were too short to reach the connection point and looked cheap. Just buy some stainless steel braided hoses for $20 at Lowe’s or Home Depot. A word of warning: If you buy the hoses that detect a leak and shut off, expect your washer to fill very slowly.

68. IamSandman says:

Inglis is like Kenmore. It is a product that Whirlpool makes for Best Buy. It isn’t like Best Buy is opening the boxes and removing the cables. This is no different than your PS3 not coming with HDMI, your printer not coming with USB, or your Camera not coming with a memory card. If the Manufacture wants to include something like that it is up to them.

This is just a way for them to cut costs and give the consumer a better price. If you have a Washing Machine already you could use your existing water lines. I wouldn’t recommend it, but then again I wouldn’t buy Inglis unless you are buying the BOTTOM PRICE POINT. The reason most people even look at Inglis is PRICE.

I suggest going into your local Best Buy and finding an Inglis set. Compare it in price and quailty to any other washing machine on the floor. You will see an obvious difference.