Arm & Hammer Responds To Baking Soda Controversy With Complete Nonsense

Widge at Needcoffee.com wrote a similar post about Arm & Hammer’s new “30 day” baking soda and got a response from Arm & Hammer PR. We’re being kind when we say that reason consumers are being told to buy 3 times as much baking soda is nonsense. We’re sure there are more colorful words that would be just as accurate.

From Needcoffee:

I work for Arm & Hammer and wanted to quickly clarify the new 30-day messaging on the Arm & Hammer Fridge-N-Freezer box. I’m sure you know that Arm & Hammer Baking Soda has 100s of uses- from polishing silver to deodorizing your stinky gym shoes, but it is most commonly used to deodorize the fridge.

So first up I’m already on the defensive, because I’m trying to figure out how the hell they know about my gym shoes. But that’s another issue.

We are telling consumers to change the box every 30 days because we’ve found that baking soda helps prevent taste-transfer in your refrigerator, meaning it helps keep the foods in your fridge tasting fresher longer when it is replaced each month.

When you have garlic cloves in your fridge and, say, mozzarella cheese, the garlic can overtake the mozzarella, making it taste like the garlic. But, when you place the Fridge-N-Freezer box in your refrigerator, it keeps those flavors separate from each other- preventing the taste transfer and keeping your refrigerated foods tasting the way they should.

Fair enough–further research has shown that garlicky cheese can be prevented if you buy three times the amount of our product that you did previously.

That sounds vaguely reasonable until you actually start thinking about it. Thankfully, we don’t have to because Widge has done it for us.

So what Arm & Hammer is saying here is that after approximately a hundred years of having the product on the shelf, they’ve learned in the past few months that it helps with taste transfer but only if you buy it once a month. This is new news to them and a new application of the product and hey, a benefit to the consumer. I can buy that, no problem.

Although…it would kind of make the entire thing pointless if I were to find a press release from 1999 that said that “taste-transfer” was an issue, even back in those halcyon days of yore. And wait, here’s a website quoting what the Arm & Hammer site used to say, that “We recommend that you replace the ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda in your fridge and freezer every 3 months to keep them smelling fresh and to prevent any taste transfer between stored foods. We can even send you a reminder via E-Mail–just check out our Reminder page.”

So basically we’re right back where we started. One of three things has occurred.

A) Arm & Hammer’s product has gotten weaker so you need to buy three times the amount that you previously needed to avoid taste transfer

2) Food odors have somehow gotten stronger, probably due to global warming

III) Arm & Hammer (not the publicist, who was very nice and I’d like to make it clear I’m not picking on them since they were giving me Arm & Hammer’s story and that’s their job–but this is my job) just wants to sell three times the amount of baking soda they did in the past and figured out a way to try and do so.

You make the call.

Arm & Hammer Responds [Need Coffee]
The Baking Soda Crop Was Especially Weak This Season [Need Coffee]

Comments

1. samurailynn says:

Taste transfer issues aside… do people normally keep garlic in the ‘fridge? I thought it was a ‘store at room temperature’ item myself.

Also, if you keep baking soda in the ‘fridge, is it still usable in recipes?

2. GilloD says:

First- Who’s keeping garlic in the fridge?

Second- If it’s shredded mozz., it’s probably in a sealed bag. If it’s fresh, it’s probably in a sealed tub of water.

Third- Garlic doesn’t really smell until you peel and/or chop it. So stop keeping peeled and/or chopped garlic in your fridge, weirdos.

3. wiggatron says:

I still call time shrink ray on this one.

4. Fujikopez says:

Is it just me, or does the logo remind anyone of Trogdor?

And this, my friends, is why I don’t trust just about any large company. Not the trogdor thing, but the subject of the post thing.

5. FijianTribe says:

So how many boxes are needed for your shoes? And how often should they be changed?

6. Parting says:

@samurailynn: I wouldn’t do it, if I were you. Smell it. It will smell like ALL of the foods that passed through your refrigerator. Unless you want to add ”special flavor” to your cooking.

7. samurailynn says:

@Victo: That’s what I thought… which is why my baking soda is in the cupboard and my ‘fridge is stinky. I could buy a second box of baking soda… or I could just clean my ‘fridge.

8. SunsetKid says:

It is my understanding that baking soda does little to eliminate refrigerator odors. Activated charcoal will do a much better job.

9. djanes1 says:

Also known to prevent the dreaded ‘taste transfer’ are reusable food containers and cleaning your friggin fridge!

10. Nakko says:

I think garlic mozzarella would taste great. I was going to add them together in a delicious pizza anyway.

11. B says:

Most commonly used to deodorize the fridge? I always thought that baking soda’s most common use was, you know, baking.

12. MaliBoo Radley says:

@SunsetKid:

Very true. Another thing you can do is put a bowl of good quality cat litter in your fridge. That and activated charcoal will do far more for odors than baking soda can.

13. shorty63136 says:

@samurailynn: I do keep my minced garlic (the kind in the jar) in the fridge – and it happens to be next to the A&H baking soda.

I’m now on month FOUR…yes, FOUR…of the same box and none of the stuff in my fridge smells like garlic OR the Chinese food that’s been in there for 4 days.

Hm.

*To Do list…*

14. SkokieGuy says:

Am I abnormal (hey – don’t answer so quick). I have never noticed a problem with fridge or freezer odor or ‘taste transfer’.

Me thinks this is a manufactured problem that has been around so long, we all accept it as fact.

I have to go now and by some eyelid deodorant, as I want to make sure my lashes are ‘Winking Fresh!’.

15. hamsangwich says:

@samurailynn:

Wait a second, aren’t you supposed to use baking powder, not baking soda in recipes? Are they the same thing? Anyway, I prefer all the tastes to cross-contiminate, it makes choosing food out of the fridge all the more easy. Hmmm, I’ll have a “garlicmilkorangelomeinpizzafish pie”!

16. jscott73 says:

I thought the only time you needed to change the baking soda in the fridge was each time you moved.

Going on 14 months with my current box and no indication whatsoever of “taste transfer”, then again I wait until my fridge is empty to go grocery shopping, only buy enough food for a week and usually clean the fridge out before I stock it up again, and, oh yeah, use reusable containers to seal everything in.

17. ThunderRoad says:

I call it what it is. A massive case of “bullshittery”.

18. hamsangwich says:

@SkokieGuy:

ha, nothing worse than that not so fresh feeling when you wink at your significant other.

19. KristinaBeana says:

@samurailynn:
    Victo is right, your food would taste a little off. But, you can still use it to clean!

20. LordieLordie says:

I vote for 2) “Food odors have somehow gotten stronger, probably due to global warming”
    Damn you Al gore!!

21. goodywitch says:

I don’t think the baking soda that my mom uses in the fridge has been changed since I was born…then again, she also keep everything in tupperware & ziplocks

22. SpdRacer says:

@hamsangwich: They are two different things and can both be used in baking. Just don’t use the baking soda from your fridge.

23. HPCommando says:

Keep the baking soda near the fan and/or thermal control. What it does is soak up the volatile esters and oils that produce smells, but it cannot do it if there is no specific airflow to drag it into the box.

Think *very* passive odor control.

Also, once or twice a year, it doesn’t hurt to scrub the walls, bins and shelves of your refrigerator with a paste made from baking soda or with a bleach rinse. Even if you are diligent or have enamel coated liners, the esters and oils can cling to the surfaces, and some can even contribute to mold.

24. Johnyalamo says:

I think there was some tast tranfer from my gym shoes to my fromunda cheese.

25. oldheathen says:

Ima play it safe and replace the box every 28 days, just in case moon cycles or menstruation also have something to do with it.

Unclean! Unclean!

26. Snarkysnake says:

Okay, Let’s take the guy at his word and swap every 30 days. With store brands that are about 1/3 less…

27. ironchef says:

I live life on the edge…I’m going to use it pass their due dates :P

28. legwork says:

@hamsangwich:

Yes, they are nearly interchangeable in recipes. Both products are actually variations of the same substance, baekeng, which comes from an Eastern herb. It was originally exported as the same product by two old family companies, Poudur and Sodeh, but in the early 1900′s they had a falling out regarding the standard dose required to sterilize their herds of bull aardvarks before Hannukah. During this feud the product potency diverged. This difference means that when substituting, in recipe’s calling for baking powder you should instead use 25% more baking soda.

-The answer man

29. econobiker says:

What this means is that they couldn’t figure a way to make an ULTRA version of baking soda which would be supposedly 1/2 the amount to do twice the job. Yeah Right!

A&H are probably trying to be like those liquid dish soap folks who reduced size of their bottles for ULTRA, put a smaller diameter squirt orifice on the bottle cap for an initial run and ad campaign “so you don’t need to use more” and then switched back to the larger diameter hole after exhausting the “so you don’t need to use more” labels. So you would in fact, use more…

30. ludwigk says:

@hamsangwich: Recipes will call for one, or the other, or both. In particular, if you have a recipe with a high amount of acid, they may call for baking soda to neutralize that acidity and create leavening the process.

My guide for changing out the baking soda is “when the fridge smells bad”. Sometimes it seems to happen much sooner than others, but when you put some chinese or other fish-sauce based food in there and the whole thing reeks the next day, its time for new baking soda.

31. HunterZ says:

Mmm garlic cheese.

32. mcjake says:

I hear baking soda is used to cut cocaine and it makes it weaker. Perhaps Arm and Hammer got it mixed up and are cutting their baking soda with cocaine and therefore making it weaker.

33. econobiker says:

@ludwigk: the old stinky baking soda from the fridge is still good to use to neutralize car battery acid for anyone with a mechanic in the house…

34. MaliBoo Radley says:

@legwork:

Oh that’s just mean :)

35. m4ximusprim3 says:

I just use it in my soda. It makes it fizzier.

36. m4ximusprim3 says:

@legwork: also, too bad we don’t have commies ala gawker. yours would be so good, it could land the vault on its knees and still get a win. just like the chinese pig-woman.

37. BrianDaBrain says:

@FijianTribe: Well, unless you’re worried about one shoe’s taste transferring to another, it seems like you’d get your full 3 months’ use out of it. But, if you’re worried about that, you’d probably be better off finding a better eating plan.

Kudos for bothering to leave a response, A&H… but, wth is up with all that corporate-speak BS? If you’re going to go to all the effort of responding to criticism, at least make sure that you know what you’re talking about and that you are not trying to take decade-old marketing and apply it as a reason for why your product appears to be less effective than it was a decade ago.

I don’t use baking soda; my fridge smells fine, and my mozzerela cheese tastes like mozzerela cheese.

38. lapazlinda says:

Use the old box down the drain with vinegar-it still fizzes just fine.

39. dragonfire81 says:

That “Grocery Suck Ray” tag is golden. :D

40. Ramrod says:

@HunterZ: Beat me to it.

41. jook says:

I’m with the people who wonder why garlic would be in the fridge.
    On the other hand, garlic mozzarella sounds pretty tasty…
    Still, the response given doesn’t really say anything at all. What kind of answer was that?

42. Quilt says:

Well as long as my milk isn’t tasting like bacon.

Hold on, that would be awesome!

43. bohemian says:

Anyone who thinks this is any other than a lame attempt to sell more baking soda needs some help.

The only time we ever used baking soda in a fridge was in a rental, the fridge had a disgusting mystery smell that even cleaning wouldn’t remove.

Power cleaning the fridge about every 4 months plus keeping things in decent sealed containers seems to be working fine.

44. katylostherart says:

i have never had a stinky fridge. perhaps the better solution is eat what’s in it before buying new food?

45. YAY Widge!

Now if only he could come up with new information on No Extra Day from Fitts.

46. guroth says:

This is just like how they try to rip you off by telling you to have your oil changed every 5000 miles…

I’m going on 25,000 miles without so much as adding a drop of fresh oil and my car runs fine!

47. purplesun says:

When we first moved into our current apartment, the refrigerator had the scent of death inside of it. Death bathed in bleach. It was quite horrific.

We tossed those boxes of baking soda in there and both the refrigerator and the freezer were smelling fresh in no time.

I think that was… geez… Over two years ago? Those two boxes are still there, in the back. But we don’t have any funky odors.

Maybe we have magic baking soda!

Although, my gut tells me it’s due more to the fact that we don’t keep things that smell like death or bleach in refrigerator.

Baking Soda – Great for a lot of things! Not needed as much as marketing tells you. No surprise there, I must say.

48. Urusuru says:

I buy the store brand. Works great, costs less.

49. VA_White says:

replace baking soda monthly = lather, rinse, repeat

IOW, a ploy to get you to spend more money. Up yers, Arm & Hammer.

50. InThrees says:

[b]Science Warning![/b]

I don’t have a box of Arm & Hammer handy (I guess I just like garlicky mozzarella?) but it’s [b]NaHCO3[/b] – baking soda, as previously mentioned in this thread.

The only thing that could make this weaker is if they introduced some kind neutral agent to ‘cut’ it – but if they did that, it would throw every other ‘recipe’ scribed in the last hundred and some odd years off.

Verdict – A&H just wants people who don’t know any better to buy three times as much… again, as intimated by the article.

I for one will be a good mindless consombie and go ahead with their plan. Three times none is… let’s see… carry the zero…

51. InThrees says:

Bah.

52. mewyn dyner says:

@hamsangwich:
    Depends on what you need. If you need just a base for leavening, you can use baking soda, if you need a full agent, use powder. Always use what the recipe calls for if you don’t know how both work. ;)

53. zentex says:

what if all along they’ve been wrong about the 90 days?

that’s a plausible explanation

(just saying, don’t shoot)

54. wickedpixel says:

does garlic cheese actually sound like it could be pretty good to anyone else?

55. parad0x360 says:

You dont have to replace it after 3 months either, all you gotta do is pour the box into a plastic bag, shake it up and then pour it back into its box again and it will continue to work for another few months. Only the top inch or so absorbs anything so a quick shake up and it works just as well.

56. mlradio says:

This sounds like a job for the Mythbusters!

Actually, I saw some program on The Food Channel recently where they actually did do some testing out of the odors-in-the-fridge. Baking powder is helpful…but what REALLY works is activated charcoal, which can be found at most pet supply stores (used lots in fish tank filters) or garden supply stores.

Oh, and what’s really important in fighting odors in the fridge with baking soda is the SURFACE AREA of the baking soda. So if you’re worried about the baking soda going stale every month, just pour off the top layer every once in a while, exposing an all new fresh surface for the odor molecules to attach to.

57. ageekymom says:

Okay.. so should I be using 3 times the baking soda when I actually bake with it too?

58. jeblis says:

When I’m king the pr folks are the first against the wall. “messaging” Argh! Seriously. Who actualy reads or believes the crappy pr releases out there?

59. CrazyMann says:

Anyone have the email address of Myth Busters?

60. samurailynn says:

@parad0x360: @mlradio:
    I was actually kind of wondering why people don’t just keep a dish in the fridge that they pour baking soda into and then replace the baking soda every once in a while. That way you don’t have to buy a new box every time.

61. howie_in_az says:

@Nakko: I was just thinking that we should remove the A&H from our fridge and start stockpiling garlic and various cheeses.

What other companies compete with Arm & Hammer? What do those companies recommend as to the shelf life of their product? If they haven’t changed you can bet they all start recommending a 30-day (or less) cycle.

62. kittenfoo says:

@hamsangwich: baking powder and baking soda are not interchangeable in recipes. for example, if you make your own pancake mix, do NOT substitute baking soda for baking powder. it will taste really gross.

as for the fridge, you know those panty liners with baking soda embedded in them? maybe you could just stick one of those on the inside of your fridge. if nothing else, watching your teenage son totally freak out would be very entertaining.

63. lannister80 says:

@Fujikopez: Burninating the countryside!

64. TorrentFreak says:

>:o Damn global warming is causing taste transfer in the fridge and making me buy 3x the baking soda that I used to!

Oh the humanity!

65. Con Seannery says:

@Quilt: If it tastes like ham, you could have the Hammios from xkcd!

66. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

@Quilt: Nestle’s Quik Bacon Flavor? I think we have an idea here.

Clean your fridge with Diet Coke & Mentos.

67. jpdanzig says:

Yet another bunch of short-sighted managers tarnish the reputation of a venerated brand.

Really — the best way these days for a company to save BIG money without cheating the customer is to unload all the “unsprung weight” at the top of the company.

Fire the CEO and cut the strings on his golden parachute for incompetence. If you can’t cut the strings, at least you have effected major savings going forward…

68. Here’s a tip: if your fridge stinks, clean it out!

69. floraposte says:

@SkokieGuy: I dare you to eat butter out of my father’s fridge. It’s a catalog of every event in that refrigerator. It’s become forensic dairy.

I suspect that fats are particularly good at picking up stray smell molecules and kindly making them available again to us, and that as we have tended away from higher milkfat products, we’ve run into fridge effects on fat less often.

70. TangDrinker says:

Does this mean Heinz will have to come up with a more potent vinegar in order for 7th graders to win their science fairs? The volcano effect will be 3 times as great!

71. Con Seannery says:

Oh, I looked on the box of Food Lion baking soda we’ve been using for a few years, it says to change out regularly or as needed, doesn’t give a time limit.

72. holocron says:

Know what, I have a box of A&H Baking Soda that has been in my ‘fridge since those fine halcyon days of 1999. And my mozzarella still doesn’t taste like garlic (all fresh ofcourse–not from 1999).

Again, this is all fiction. Whether 3 months or 30 days. All BS.

73. NYGal81 says:

@Fujikopez: It certainly is a beefy arm! I loves me some trogdor, but I doubt I would have seen it if you didn’t mention it first.

74. chauncy that billups says:

I am reminded of Homer’s antacid trip from The Simpsons: “Wow, the absorbed odors of a million meals. (He eats a spoonful of it.) So many flavors! All those tasty memories flooding back! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!”

75. farker says:

I think my mom has the same box of Arm & Hammer in the fridge that she bought when we moved…so about 17 years old.

76. mewyn dyner says:

@floraposte:

Indeed. Fats are the sponges of all odors and flavors. Even though, most fridges don’t need baking soda. Just keep things tightly wrapped and it’s all good. ;)

77. usa_gatekeeper says:

And in 6 months when this discussion has long been forgotten, A&H Baking Soda will still be on store shelves with instructions to “Change every 30 days”. Score:

A&H Marketing – 1
    Consumers – 0

78. battra92 says:

So did you know Walmart brand (Great Value) still works for 3 months? Maybe I’ll now buy the $0.50 store brand instead of splurging for the $0.75 box.

Actually it’s been so long I forget what baking soda costs.

79. aristan says:

See, the problem is that time is actually getting quicker by a factor of 3. Think about it… you only have time to do a third of the work you had planned to do, milk only lasts a week instead of three weeks, and now Baking Soda is only good for 1 month instead of 3.

It’s obvious that time is speeding up and we will soon slingshot around the sun and reappear in a mirror universe where we all have an identical, yet goateed, twin.

80. Hawk07 says:

Sounds to me like Arm & Hammer needs to improve the baking soda formula so that it can stand up to the 90 day norm again and my cheese won’t taste like garlic.

81. crashfrog says:

I use sodium tetraborate decahydrate for my deodorizing needs.

82. waitaminute says:

gosh… at 89 cents per 1-pound box, it seems to cost more to worry about it (ZOMG! They’re totally ripping me off! Quick let’s write a strongly worded letter! My time and sense of calm isn’t worth 89 cents! Damn you, corporate thieves!) than it does to just change the damn box whenever you want to.

Jeebus, people… you’re making this into some sisyphean, brain crushing problem. Just change the box when you find it’s not working anymore. Or, splurge and buy the $5.00, TWELVE-pound ziploc bag of baking soda at CostMart or Wal-Co… keep it (open) in your fridge, and just re-seal and shake it up for maximum longevity. It will last and remain effective for YEARS.

83. Red_Eye says:

@waitaminute: Or as shown on a recent Food Detectives show on food tv, use a lump of charcoal, works better.

84. Krycek says:

The real reason behind this, not global warming, not weaker baking soda… it’s Manbearpig. If the food is getting smaller and there is fresher baking soda to hide the scent, then Manbearpig won’t smell the food and come to your house and kill you in your sleep. I’m being super-serial

85. madfrog says:

2) Food odors have somehow gotten stronger, probably due to global warming

that is my fav! In the real world, they are trying to get you to buy more product, even though the box will still (more than likely) work at the 3 month time frame. It’s tough all over, boys and girls!

86. misteral says:

I’ve had garlic and cheddar in my fridge for a while now, no taste transfer to speak of.

Why is the garlic in the fridge you ask? It’s a losing battle with the wife :( But, I typically use a few heads a week, so it doesn’t stay in there very long

87. Japheaux says:

Will it take the smell of dead Bigfoot out of a chest freezer? Just wondering.
    Signed,
    Anonymous in Northern Georgia

88. provolone says:

@guroth: Just curious, do you lease or own?

89. Sparkstalker says:

@aristan:

But…but…what will my twin look like since I already have a goatee?

90. backbroken says:

If I keep the baking soda next to the garlic long enough, can I eventually use the baking soda as garlic powder?

91. KatieKate93 says:

@wickedpixel: absolutely, I’m going home to take the baking soda out of my fridge right now :)

92. savvy999 says:

I’m having a hard time now believing that any ‘baking soda’ is an effective dessicant. Like mentioned above, activated charcoal or silica would be the best way to truly remove odor and moisture from your fridge; dry baking soda does what– chemically react with the volatile esters floating around inside the fridge? Capture mold spores?

Maybe it’s a surface area thing (which is why charcoal works), but that would mean that the best way to get life out of a box of baking soda would be to shake up the box every once in a while to expose more surface area to the air in the fridge, +/or ‘regenerate’ it (presumably by gentle heating).

My take on this is to don’t bother with the baking soda, and simply keep your fridge clean. Keep food covered. Throw out old food. Clean drawers and interior surfaces monthly using soap and water, or a mild bleach solution. Keep the fridge on a setting that is the best balance between keeping it cold and holding moisture to a minimum.

93. wildbill says:

In my college advertising class we talked about Arm and Hammer and they started the fridge thing in the 50′s when people started buying instant cake mixes or just stopped baking at home.

Additionally his favorite line of all time was ‘rinse and repeat’ on shampoo effectively using twice as much as before.

94. hank18 says:

I’ve done a little research on the issue and all I’ve found, like the few others who have posted here, that baking soda does nothing to neutralize odors in the fridge. I’m with the others who do not have it in their fridge and notice no “taste transfer” or odor.

95. vladthepaler says:

How does this magical “taste transfer” get through the plastic that everything is wrapped in?

96. Poster99 says:

They could have put a different spin on it…

“… as large refrigerators have become more common in American homes, you now have to switch the baking soda more often than with smaller sized refrigerators…”

“… in our technical review of large refrigerators we found that the ability of a single box of baking soda to absorb odors will decrease dramatically after approximately 30 days…”

“… the effectiveness of a box of baking soda can be extended by shaking the box every few days, but given American’s busy schedules and after numerous customer surveys we determined that simply replacing the box of baking soda resulted in more consistent results while not over burdening a families budgets…”

“… additionally “used” baking soda from the refrigerators still has many uses in cleaning the home such as adding it to drains with vinegar and …”

97. futurelibrariansuperhero says:

Last year my fridge was accidently unplugged (by me) just before I left for a week. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever encountered in my entire life. I cleaned all the old food out and scubbed and scrubbed with baking soda and vinegar, but it didn’t help.

For months, everything in the fridge still became permeated with THAT SMELL. Glass or plastic couldn’t keep it out, and my Britta filter was ruined. I was so nervous that I had ruined the fridge and my landlord would make me replace it.

I read about activated charcoal, but didn’t know where to get any. So what finally worked? Used coffee grounds. Totally neutralized the smell and took it away forever.

Baking soda didn’t do a thing.

98. YoniX says:

I agree, I think we should get Adam and Jamie on this POST-HASTE!!!@mlradio:

99. Ok so then, if the product hasn’t actually been working the way theyt Said it would for the past Umpteen years, then don’t they owe Everyone a refund?? False (if previous) advertising.

Suckage!! Good thing I don’t use it anyway. A waste of money to me.

100. ELC says:

@Fujikopez: it is sort of like Trogdor (www.homestarrunner.com for those of you not in the know) – BUT the arm and hammer logo has been around a LOT longer than Trogdor. maybe he was based on that?

101. Colage says:

Are we really that concerned that Arm & Hammer is getting fat off of 70 cent boxes of baking soda?

102. SigmundTheSeaMonster says:

HA HA! A&H spinner get’s spun.

Maybe they should have suggested growing garlic in those gym sneaks…

103. Haltingpoint says:

@usa_gatekeeper: Bingo. The only people up in arms over this are the commenters on Consumerist.com, who have the collective attention span of a goldfish (I’m just sayin….I’m as guilty as the rest of you), and won’t be suckered in by this, but will have moved on to the next issue in 3…2…

Total loss to A&H? MAYBE a hundred dollars…MAYBE. Net gain? Probably significant.

104. Dyscord says:

Well years ago when my dad used to eat garlic, it came in a box and we kept it in the butter dish (since we got tubs of butter). But as it was pointed out, garlic doesn’t really smell until it’s cut.

I think in this case, the example given just made things worse. I can understand the taste transfer thing, even with the terrible example of keeping your cheese out in the open in the fridge. However it still doesn’t explain why I should change it after 30 days even after I’ve been changing it every three months for years. Maybe if they had some evidence of baking soda somehow causing long term damage then they would make sense. This just says “Hey, we’re greedy”

105. chanh55 says:

I probably only change the baking soda in the fridge once a year… still works fine for me.

106. aristan says: