Petsmart Tries To Sell You Something To Stop The Bleeding They Started

Reader Sara wants to share the experience she had with Petsmart’s dog grooming service. She says that after they accidentally cut her dog’s toenail too close they tried to sell her a product to stop the bleeding.

Sara says:

I wanted to let you know what happened to our dog when we took him to get groomed at Petsmart today. We’ve taken our Lab and Boxer there many times in the past and never had a problem, but today we got a call that they had “nicked” our Boxer’s toenail and were having the on-site vet take a look at him “just in case.” We went up there to find out what was going on.

We went to the grooming salon to check out both dogs. They give you the bill before they release your pets to you and you go in the checkout line to pay. The woman in the salon looked at the bill and said she wanted to check something and told us to go over to the vet to see what was going on with Winston, the Boxer. We noticed smeared bloodstains on the tiled floor both inside and outside the salon. The vet was called out to see us after we waited about ten minutes. He said that the grooming technician accidentally cut the nail to the quick and it was bleeding. He said that the Boxer was full of energy and during the short walk from the salon to the vet’s office the dog “knocked against something” and it started to bleed again. There is an unobstructed path between the salon and the vet’s office. He said that our dog was anxious and his blood pressure was up and he hoped to keep him there while he calmed down and that if we took him home he would probably continue to bleed. He said we could BUY a product to help stop the bleeding. The vet said that nobody was at fault except the dog for “wiggling.”

They blamed the “accident” on a black nail. Boxer’s nails vary between black and white depending on the color of the skin of the toe. When we finally got the dog back to examine, it is very apparent to us that the nail was not a black nail. You can see clearly that the nail was not “nicked” but in fact there is very little left of it. This is definitely a painful condition for a dog and leaves our pet open to infection until it heals.

When I went back to pay, the bill was for full price, without a discount that I thought was forthcoming after the tech wanted to “check something.” I asked, “You are going to charge me full price after hurting my dog?” An assistant manager was called since the manager was not there. While the manager was apologetic, he said the best he could do was offer to give us the doomed nail clipping free because “your dog still got a bath and we didn’t charge you for the vet’s time.” He went on to tell us that in addition to the bleeding from the cut nail the nerve was also damaged. Nice. He eventually did give us the product to stop the bleeding for free.

I understand that nail trimming, especially with an energetic dog, is a difficult task but that is the reason we take our dogs to a professional groomer. We are not brave enough to undertake that task ourselves because we are afraid of injuring our pets. We understand that the vet was consulted for our dog’s injury but we feel that injury was completely preventable if care was taken. Our dog can’t be the only energetic dog the groomers see. When the vet offered to sell us the product to stem the bleeding we were enraged. We also appreciate that the assistant manager offered to get our “trust” back by whatever means he could, but the fact that no meaningful discount was offered was galling. After they hurt your dog and probably make it impossible for him to ever allow his nails to be trimmed again, what could they possibly do?

We were so upset that we didn’t accept the nominal discount for the nail trimming as we just wanted to get our dogs home. I don’t think this is an across the board condemnation against the groomers at Petsmart but this really shouldn’t have happened.

Ouch! Poor puppy. We suggest launching an EECB (executive email carpet bomb) on Petsmart to see if there’s anything more they can do for you. Accidents happen, but haggling over a product to stop the bleeding that they caused is, well, rude.

For more information about launching an EECB, click here.

Also, you’re probably in the market for a new dog groomer, so be sure to check out this information from the Humane Society of the United States.

What do you think Petsmart should have done in this situation?

(Photo: Jenna Belle )

Comments

1. kickarse says:

It’s just a flesh wound…

Anyways, that sucks. Especially since the dog can’t tell you how much pain he’s in.

2. timmus says:

It would help to know which Petsmart we’re talking about… this could be one in Mumbai, India for all we know.

3. elocanth says:

Very unprofessional of them. Petsmart should have had some styptic powder on there and had your dog fully bandaged before you even arrived.

As for a discount, it’s hard to say… if they had handled it without incident by taking care of the injury properly, then I don’t think there is a need for a discount. However, considering their behavior and how they attempted to sell you a product that their vets *have* to have on hand, well… screw them right in the ear. You certainly do deserve something for it.

I definitely advise going with a local groomer, though.

4. What constitutes a professional groomer? Is there some sort of training or certification or something for it? I would have been worried that the groomer at petsmart was as unqualified as the kid that stacks the dog food on a shelf.

I’m not sure what the groomer does to our dog’s nails but I just saw this thing on tv saying that the actual clipping of the dogs nails hurts anyway, granted it was on a commercial trying to sell something to file/sand down the dog’s nails but the pain involved with clipping the dog’s nails seems plausible.

5. I suggest everyone learn to trim their own animals nails. Either that or let a vet do it. I do it so I can examine my animals feet for any problems. I am not blaming the OP, just suggesting from now on to do it yourself. It’s easier to get a dog or cat calm at home than in a new enviroment.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

@Git Em SteveDave is starlost: Better yet, if you have a cat get them a scratching post so they can trim their own nails!

Unless you have a serious scratching or injury problem (with cats at least) their nails do not need to be trimmed, just kept sharp naturally so they don’t grow into the pads. A scratching-post-using cat (or any mother-trained cat that knows how to pull off the old claws) will know how to maintain their claws themselves.

6. tiatrack says:

Wow, this lady totally overreacted! I’ve spent years in the grooming industry, and things like this just happen. Some dogs have unusual quicks that are longer than they look. Her dogs just needs a little quick-stop and it will be fine. The groomers did nothing wrong, and even went above and beyond the call of duty taking it to the vet. The toenail started bleeding on the walk again probably because the quick-stop was knocked off. Again, very common. I say this woman needs to be grateful they offered her a discount and she should be happy they didn’t tell her not to come back!

7. ArgusRun says:

I’m shocked that the groomer didn’t have a styptic pencil ready to go. That’s a pretty standard tool in the groomer’s arsenal. It’s also not that unusual to make the mistake of cutting too close. That’s why they sell those little nail clipping kits with the pencil.

The groomer failed miserably if they did not have the standard tools in hand. And asking the owners to buy a product that the groomer should have available is insulting and cruel to the dog.

In this case, Petsmart should comp the whole thing and offer a gift card as an apology as well as instituting a policy to make sure groomers have the necessary equipment to stop minor nail bleeds.

If the groomer had been properly trained and equipped, all that needed to happen was to tell the owner what happened, ask them to keep an eye on the injury and offer a discount.

8. booksy says:

With my wife being a manager at Petsmart, I know for a fact that a discount would have been offered and customers would have not been charged for a product that is needed after the groomers mess up.

9. zentex says:

fwiw; cutting the quick is bound to happen, it takes me a good 30-45 mins to cut the nails on my boxer (with her in a leg-lock) because she only has so much patience.

10. Fly Girl says:

That sucks. We take our English Bulldog to a groomer to get his nails clipped because he, too, has black and white nails. On the black nails, it’s nearly impossible to tell where the quick is. I’m afraid to hurt him or make him bleed, so I pay someone else to do it.

Petsmart screwed up royally in trying to sell the OP the styptic stick for the dog– when you’re taking your dog home bleeding, that’s something that should be thrown in.

[www.wikihow.com]

I *don’t* think that the OP needed/deserved a discount, however– it’s pretty normal for dogs to bleed from their nails when they get cut and it’s not so much a problem as it is an inconvenience. If groomers gave the service away for free every time they made a dog’s nails bleed, especially a dog with BLACK nails, they’d all go out of business.

11. That is appalling! I may not have a dog, but I have a bird who needs to gets his nails trimmed. I bring him to the local pet store that has been around since I was a kid when it’s time for it. If something like this ever happens to me, I’ll be tempted to seek legal council. I wonder if pain and suffering applies to animals as well.

If you charged this to a credit card, I think you should do a chargeback. Considering that Petsmart doesn’t give your animal back until you pay the bill, and they were still going to charge you for everything but the nail clipping, I can understand why you actually paid. I would hope Petsmart doesn’t have something in small print making the customer liable for injuries to their animals. If they don’t, you didn’t get what you paid for. I’m sure this story would win over any credit card CSR.

12. booksy says:

@Git Em SteveDave displays attention-grabbing vanity: I know you think it might be easy to do a cat’s nails, I have tried a few times, and after it looked like I lost a fight with a razor I just take them to the professionals.

13. booksy says:

@Fly Girl: The discount I am referring to should not be for an honest mistake. However the cut was on a non-black nail.

14. FunPaul says:

Protip: use a dremel tool to trim your dog’s toenails.
    It takes a little bit of time to get them acclimated to it, but you will never have to deal with a bleeding quick.

15. JeffMc says:

Accidents happen, most dog owners have hit the quick while trimming nails before.

But to use that as an excuse to upsell? That’s pretty twisted.

16. As for everyone saying the OP didn’t deserve a discount: why the hell not? Sure, these things happen, but the way it was handled was appalling! Would any of you go to this groomer?

17. deadspork says:

I think if they hadn’t taken the animal to the vet, the owner wouldn’t have reacted the way she did. If they’d just said, “Oh, a little quick-stop, he’ll be fine.”, she would have had no reason to assume it could be a big deal.

When you go to pick up your pet from grooming and find out he’s at the vet’s instead, well, that sets up some red flags.

18. triggerh says:

Don’t go to Petsmart for your veterinary needs. Take your dogs to a real vet’s office where they will most likely develop a more personal and caring relationship with you and your animals. Now, I’m not saying the vet in Petsmart isn’t qualified, its just that with the volume of animals they care for, the animals become numbers on a page and receive much less attention. Most vet offices realize the competition with Petsmart and the cost difference for those services is negligible or nil.

19. Randomeis says:

Ok a tad off topic, but I think I’ll ask since there seems to be some in the know people responding to this thread. This happened at home w/ our pup this weekend (as we were walking out the door for a 10hr drive with her in tow)we called the vet and they said use flour or cornstarch to stop the bleeding. It worked but anytime she would get excited or ran outside it would start again. So going with stories I’ve read about using superglue to stop bleeding we put a small dab of superglue after the flour had stopped the bleeding. Have I endangered my dog at all?

20. @deadspork: The “vet” was in the store.

21. Anonymously says:

@tiatrack: Are you kidding!? They wounded the animal, they should fix it at no cost. If that includes providing bandages or styptic for free, then that’s what they need to do.

22. madfrog says:

That’s just the reason why you dont take your pets to Petco to be groomed. It is like an assembly line, and for the most part, the groomers are the “rejects” that no one else will hire. I have heard time and time again about horror stories from them. It may cost a bit more, but from now on I would bring you dogs to a groomer who has their own business, some of them run them out of their houses and for the most part, take great care in handling pets. The dog sounds stable for now, but I would contact your own vet for an evaluation and send Petco the bill. You may also want to contact an attorney since this may domino into other issues the dog may have in the future. This could have gone very bad very fast. Good luck to you.

23. HFC says:

People take their dogs to a groomer for nail clipping? Just chew it off yourself at home. That product to stop the bleeding is called flour.

24. ArgusRun says:

@tiatrack: I don’t think its so much a case of her overreacting as of the groomer and store handling what should be a simple situation badly. Assuming that everything happened as stated, the dog should have been kept quiet at the vet or groomer until the styptic pencil or powder had worked. Or it opened again on the walk to the vet, then same thing. They wait for 15-30 minutes and then all is well.

I suppose they could have been doing everything right and the woman just freaked. The groomer might have simply said that there was a chance of it opening again and that she should take a styptic pencil home with her in case it does. Reality is a bit hard to read in an emotional posting.

25. Anonymous says:

Quicks are hard to judge, sometimes its a shot in the dark and you only know where it is buy cutting in to it.

I’m not sure a refund is the appropiate response here. I think an apology and a full explaination and maybe a bandage is the way to go.

26. ThinkerTDM says:

I completely disagree about the various posts about the nail trimming.
    1. Petsmart said they could do it. Not half-assed, not trim the toes off, none of that. They presented a claim that they had the expertise to trim dog’s nails.
    Note: sure, most dog owners have hit the quick. But Petsmart was doing this as professionals.

2. Bleeding is NOT normal when you cut nails. It may happen- but to chalk it up to “normal” is untrue. See #1- Petsmart said they could do it. If you make a claim that you can do it right, you should do it right.

3. Give the lady the damn discount already. They didn’t do the job they said they did.

27. @booksy: I have 5 cats currently, and do all of their nails and have done all of my cats nails. If you use a proper cutter(the one that looks like scissors) that is sharp, get the cat relaxed, and regularly touch their feet, then it’s quite easy. One lesson I have learned is never baby/coddle them, b/c that makes them stressed. Just relax w/ them and do it nonchalantly.

28. zentex says:

@FunPaul: and if you’re skiddish, they make a guard to fit the dremel: [www.peticure-grooming.com]

29. Cliff_Donner says:

I inherited a couple of dogs when they were 15 years old — both very sweet, and not aggressive at all. Because their usual groomer was all the way across town, almost an hour away, I tried bringing them to PetSnart once. I told the groomer that both dogs were elderly, and rather than trying to get all the grooming “perfect,” they should focus more on not stressing them out (i.e., if the dog is struggling — which they were not likely to do — it’s OK if the cut’s a little uneven, the nails don’t need to be clipped as short as possible, etc.)

When I picked them up, there were fortunately no issues such as with the OP here, but both dogs just seemed so freaked out that I decided it was worth taking the 50-minute drive to the local, non-chain groomer rather than go back to PetSnart.

30. snoop-blog says:

Yeah as a dog owner for many years, I can say, this stuff happens, and is more likely to happen when you as a owner doesn’t keep up on trimming, which is why the quick grows so much. I’m going to assume that since she pays someone else to do it, it’s not getting done often enough, (learned from first hand here so) and if it doesn’t get done often enough, the quick and nails will become un-healthily long and has a better chance of bleeding.

BTW- put some flour in a tuppaware, and put your dogs paw in it, and poof- problem solved. (that was vet-reccommended btw)

31. Coelacanth says:

@tiatrack: Let me get this straight – a grooming job is botched because of an accident that occurred under their watch, and they would feel even the remotest entitlement to tell the customer that their animal is “lucky” to be “allowed” back?

There’s no evidence that the dog was unruly. Even if these things happen on a somewhat common basis, that suggestion is outrageous.

If it were my animal, I’d be infuriated. A professional pet groomer poisoned (and ultimately killed) one of my cats during a routine flea dip. They’re damned lucky I didn’t sue.

32. screwtapeletters says:

Not to blame the victim or anything, but unfortunately having worked in a vet’s office all through high school (where my job was frequently to hold a struggling animal) even with experienced groomers and vets a too-closely-clipped nail is an accident that can happen.

What happened after that in the store of course was not at all appropriate, but I’m hesitant to say that the injury was a product of pure carelessness.

Most of all, it’s not a mortal wound and is no worse than if you made the mistake while trying to cut the nails yourself (this sort of accident is frequently how people would just give up and go to the vet, no big deal). It sucks and it happens, but as long as you follow up appropriately with care it will be okay.

33. Nicholeigh says:

I used to work part time at Petsmart. Their groomers have to go through training and get certified before they are allowed to groom animals. Most of the groomers that worked at my store were very good but accidents do happen and some groomers are not the caring people we wish them to be.

I think Petsmart should have ponied up and given more of a discount and most certainly not told the OP to buy something to stop the bleeding. The groomer could have give a discount off the service, they would do that regularly at our store for regulars and what not. Whenever our groomers nicked a nail they would take care of it right then and there, no questions asked.

To help prevent this in the future ask for the dogs nails to be ground instead of cut it only costs $2 more at petsmart and is much less traumatic than cutting.

34. Stonecutter says:

I have a peticure trimmer for my animals’ nails and it’s a godsend. http://www.peticure.com

35. katylostherart says:

what’s really great is if they cut the nail so far there’s nerve damage i doubt what they were trying to sell you (which i assume as styptic) would have actually stopped the bleeding.

this was handled pretty badly. in the future, most vets will do nail clipping for a really nominal fee. mine does my dog’s for $10 or we try and take him for more walks on pavement in warm weather since that wears at them naturally. you can also just file them a little bit (enough to round the edge and flatten the curve a little) once a week with a regular old nail file instead of waiting for a grooming appointment for the nail care. the upside of the filing is even with a hyper, squirmy animal there’s very little chance you’ll do any harm to you or it and it’s easy to come back to and very very difficult to screw up.

36. Youthier says:

I agree she should have received some sort of discount for the way the whole thing was handled.

BUT animals are unpredictable. Professional pet groomers can easily make a mistake if there’s a squirm at the wrong minute. It happened to my dog when he was getting his clipped at the vet.

This doesn’t make me doubt Petsmart’s grooming skills, only their customer service.

37. Imaginary_Friend says:

@Git Em SteveDave displays attention-grabbing vanity: Exactly what I was going to say. If you start off when they’re puppies, they get used to nail trimming as part of their normal routine.

PetSmart is clearly at fault; from the OP’s description that “there was very little (nail) left”, it sounds like the groomer was either inexperienced or in a hurry and cut off too much. They should have comped the entire bill and apologized profusely.

38. Shaggy says:

@tiatrack: Thanks for the “insider” point of view. Would you really tell a customer who was upset that you injured her dog not to come back? What if you went to a nail salon and in trimming your toenails they cut your skin and it led to an infection? Would you just figure it was OK and let it go? It is sad that someone with so little compassion is trusted with the care of our pets.

39. This is why you never have your pet groomed at Petsmart. Any big box place like this is going to be questionable. Take it to a real groomer who you can get to know personally.

40. Ass_Cobra says:

“or we try and take him for more walks on pavement in warm weather since that wears at them naturally.”

This is actually the best advice on this whole thread. Walk your dogs on the pavement, 30 minutes per day and they will rarely need to be clipped. It seems like a lot of time, but 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes after work is totally manageable. It also keeps them from being nutcases the rest of the day.

41. beavis88 says:

@Git Em SteveDave displays attention-grabbing vanity: It’s easier to get a dog or cat calm at home than in a new enviroment.

This is actually not true for one of our cats. He’s comfortable enough at home to scream, holler, and scratch us all to bits when we try to groom him. But at the vet he’s so scared he just sits there and lets them do whatever they want. Much easier all around, I think.

42. krispykrink says:

It’s pretty unprofessional for a “professional” groomer to not have a supply of Kwik-Stop at their work station. It’s down right thievery for them to charge for a product they should keep on hand just in case these very common accidents occur.

It’s like going to a Tattoo artist and having him tell you that you need to go out and buy a bandage to cover-up your new fresh tattoo that’s still oozing blood.

On a personal note being the owner of a cat, dog and a cockatoo, I stay the hell away from Petsmart. And so should you!

43. Wormfather is Wormfather says:

I’ve only been a dog owner for 8 months, but I’m fully in the (That guy needs to get over his dog) club and this is fucking bullshit. They need to fix the situation for free and severly discount that grooming. Also, please, what Petsmart are we talking about, my dog is going into one in two weeks to be groomed.

Nothing pisses me off when children or pets are left in someone’s care and fuck up and dont have the balls to do what’s right.

44. SadSam says:

Question – I know that if you let a dog’s nails grow long the quick also grows long. Is there any way to reverse that process? I’ve got an elderly neighbor who I help with household and pet issues and her dog’s nails are super long. I’d like to cut the dog’s nails but I’m worried about that quick.

45. It sounds like Petsmart fumbled, recovered for an 6-yard drive, but was still short of a first down.

Petsmart eventually gave her the product to stop the bleeding for free (as they should have) and they did offer to credit the nail clipping. But she refused the discount because “just wanted to get our dogs home.” That’s is the part I don’t get. They messed up the nail clipping, so not charging for the nail clipping is sounds fair to me.

Discounting some or all of the bath would have been nice, but it was by no means necessary. I’ve read just enough about clipping claws to know that hitting the quick happens. Blood is involved, it can hurt, but he’ll be fine.

46. snoop-blog says:

@SadSam: A little at a time (once a week) and walk them (like another poster said) at least 30 mins a day. If you do cut to far, put some flour in a bowl, and dip your dogs paw in it. That will stop the bleeding, and was recommended to me by my vet, when I once clipped too far.

47. pigbearpug says:

My dog, like most dogs, HATES it when I clip her nails. I invariably get too close to the quick on at least one, so I decided to take her to PetSmart to get it done a few months ago. The tech started to do it, but she was wiggling way too much so she asked me to come hold her. I didn’t mind but it seemed kind of strange. Anyways, she clipped a couple of her nails too close and they bled, but she had some of that clotting powder right there and it stopped immediately.

Bottom line: not worth the hassle for me. I just do it myself.

Also, corn starch works just as well as the powder you buy. And it’s a whole lot cheaper!

48. pigbearpug says:

@krispykrink: That’s exactly what I was thinking. It should be standard equipment. Trimming dogs’ nails is tough and getting too close is going to happen, no matter how often you do it.

49. BrianDaBrain says:

BALME THE DOG! That seems to be what Petsmart tried to do.

“The vet said that nobody was at fault except the dog for “wiggling.””

WTF? That line threw me for a loop. The OP should have turned the dog loose in the vet’s office and blamed all damage on “wiggling”.

I clip my cat’s claws myself, and once I accidentally cut into the quick. She whined for about five minutes then started running crazily around the house, just as crazy as ever. I understand that it hurt the dog, but it’s a comparatively minor wound that will heal quickly.

While Patsmart did give her the product and the nail clipping for free, they probably should ahve thrown in the bath too. When you injure somebody’s pet, there’s no such thing as overcompensation.

50. A Petsmart here in Houston had a dog run out of the building (at the intersection of major highways). Apparently the dog was only returned to safety when patrons ran out to help him…the Petsmart groomers were not interested. I wish I had a news story or something to cite, I just heard it from someone who was there.

Ergo I get my dog groomed at the vet itself. Not all vets offer the service, but at least you know your dog is with someone you trust with their heath anyway and if something like this happens they are in good hands already.

51. mzhartz says:

I know at my local PetSmart, the vet is only affiliated with PetSmart, not owned by them. Personally, we use a vet that happens to be located inside a PetSmart, and she’s gone above and beyond the call of duty multiple times, once to save our cat’s life.

I’ve seen similar arrangements with optometrists at eyeglass stores. So I would guess the vet didn’t offer the product for free because it wasn’t the vet’s to give. And if the nail was cut as short as indicated, it seems likely that even though the vet used a styptic pencil, it may bleed again after they got home.

I agree that the manager at PetSmart didn’t do the right thing until asked, but free product and not charging them for the nail trimming seems fair.

52. ChuckECheese says:

@Michael Belisle:

…she refused the discount because “just wanted to get our dogs home.” That’s is the part I don’t get.

It would have required another trip to a cashier or a CS counter, and more explanations and waiting, while dealing with an injured dog. That’s why she turned down the partial refund.

53. fafi says:

I just took my pug in Sunday & the stupid girl forgot to clip two of the nails, and I saw her putting that styptic(??) powder on two of her nails. WTF. You are being paid to do something, please, LEARN HOW TO DO YOUR JOB OR GET A NEW ONE.

54. ManicPanic says:

One thing you will see if you go to a forum such as Dogster is to NEVER EVER take your dog to a Petsmart for grooming or vet needs. I have heard lots of horror stories such as them drugging your dog without your consent, using drying boxes (they basically cook the dog) and hurting animals.

Oh yeah, they also don’t check out vet records for the groomers, so if someone who doesn’t vaccinate their animal takes it there, it WILL BE with your animal in the holding room or whaever they use. Parvo? Kennel Cough? Rabies? You can get it all at Petsmart!!

55. samurailynn says:

I have one cat who is nice enough to trim her own nails. She doesn’t watch where she leaves the clippings, so we’re likely to find them on the couch, but at least she’s doing the work for us.

I haven’t owned a dog since I was in high school, but I can imagine they’d be a little more difficult than cats, and probably not as into grooming themselves.

56. drdom says:

First, Petsmart, or their employee, contractor or whatever messed up. They could have and should have handled this better.

The thing with trying to charge for something to stop the bleeding and blaming the dog… it’s ridiculous. If you are a professional at anything, you are presumed to be competent, and able to deal with difficulties as they arise. Clearly that wasn’t the case here. Cutting a little too close is not an uncommon thing. And if it were handled properly, would have been no big thing either.

My vet did it to my puppy last week. She was just trying to get the sharp tips of his little paws. She made a mistake. And they usually use a Dremel for most trimming.

She apologized, and she fixed the bleeding. She didn’t comp my whole vet bill. And I didn’t expect her to. But she didn’t charge me for trimming his nails, and she vowed to have the Vet Techs do it next time.

This is the 21st century, and there are several marvelous tools for trimming dogs nails, including the dremel as mentioned in a previous post. If you are a professional doing this on an ongoing basis, why don’t you have the tools that make this job 200% easier?

And if you’re a professional, whether a dog groomer or whatever, and you make a mistake, as humans all occasionally do, take responsibility and fix the problem. That’s all most reasonable customers expect.

Bad Petsmart
    Bad Groomer

No Treat for you.

57. tiatrack says:

@COELACANTH:
    If someone worked on a dog and accidentally made it bleed, took it to the vet, offered the nail clipping for free, and the customer still refused and wrote a nasty letter, many groom shops would ask her not to come back.

A dog is not a person. When I get my nails done, I don’t wiggle, squirm, and potentially bite. Nor do I have a quik that cannot be seen. Although I was lucky to have 99% of my customers be fantastic, I saw my share of “holier than thou” dog owners. Sure, Petsmart should have had quik-stop on the dogs toenail, or the vet should have used stronger methods to stop the bleeding, but this is by no means the end of the world.

That’s too bad to hear about your cat, but NO cat should ever be flea dipped. If your cat has fleas, it needs a vet prescribed flea treatment. Flea dips and the OTC flea meds are toxic to cats.

58. JanetCarol says:

Petsmart should have let you walk out of there free of charge.
    I wouldn’t have paid, then again, I groom my dogs myself.
    I understand wanting to take your dog to a professional, but you can have the vet clip their nails if that is what you are worried about. Places like petsmart usually just put over perfumed shampoos and sprays on animals.

59. ObtuseGoose says:

@thepictureradio: This is disturbing to hear. Which Petsmart in Houston did the “runaway dog” happen at? I’m taking my dog to the Petsmart located on West Loop South in two days. After reading the horror stories here, I’m getting concerned. I think I’ll try to keep an eye on the groomer without my dog seeing me. Hopefully my dog’s grooming will be a non-event.

60. kc2idf says:

I recommend Petsmart very highly as a place to get pet supplies, and I applaud the fact that they provide space for pet adoption agencies to operate.

That said, though, I would consider them a big box and eye their services with the same suspicion as the services (as opposed to products) offered by other big box stores. I would, in the case of my own pets, give Petsmart about as much consideration as a place to take my cats as I would give Geek Squad as a place to take my computers.

In this particular case, I think the best corrective action would be to take the dog to an independent vet (to make sure he/she is okay), and then send the bill to Petmart.

61. Goldenthorn says:

To those posters who say that a a little bleeding in a nail cut is unacceptable: my mother, uncle and grandfather are all vets. They have over 100 years of experience between them. And that includes over a hundred years of experience cutting nails. And you know what? Bleeding happens. When a nail is dark and you don’t know where the quick ends, it can be tricky. All you can do is shave off little pieces at a time, looking for the darkening in the middle to let you know when you’re getting close. And it rarely happens, but if you have an unruly dog, and it suddenly jerks just as you’re cutting down… well, accidents happen. Now, in our experience, we have never cut anything more than just a little nick, immediately suppressed with the qwik-stop. The dog doesn’t even whine or cry (unless it’s a whiner or crier by nature and has been doing it anyway).
    Of course, any bleeding at all is completely unacceptable in a clear nail.
    And qwik-stop is standard and should never, ever, ever be paid for by the client, unless they are purchasing it for home use. One shouldn’t be charged for the cotton, alcohol, q-tip or needles used for shots, so why charge for as standard a product as qwik-stop? Utterly ridiculous.
    The OP should take her dog to a real vet and have that nail examined! If the OP’s dog’s nail was cut so short as to possibly have nerve damage, that could necessitate the nail having to be permanently removed (if it gets infected/doesn’t heal properly)!
    Petsmart should have been seriously apologizing and have comped the whole bill – because cutting a nail that much is a HUGE mistake. If one of the nails was really just cut a little too short, then qwik-stop would have made it stop bleeding immediately, and it would not have started again. But cut that short? Not in all our years of veterinary experience, even with crazy dogs that have required four people to hold down, have we ever cut a nail that short. That’s just incompetence, plain and simple.
    But then again, that’s what you get for going to Petsmart.

62. fjordtjie says:

If you know what you’re doing, the color of the nail isn’t an excuse for cutting the quick. It is, though, if you’re a moron groomer. You’re also a moron groomer if you don’t have stiptic powder on hand, or you cut a nail so far back you have to get a moron vet involved.

sometimes, you’re better off cutting your pet’s nails yourself.

63. Coelacanth says:

@tiatrack: The cat incident happened prior to the widespread availability of prescription-based flea treatments. The moment they became available, we switched. The reason the cat died was not so much because of the flea dip itself, but rather negligence in “forgetting” to washing the cat thoroughly and drying him off.

The story goes the first groomer went out to lunch before finishing up completely with the cat who died. Instead, they allowed him to lick himself clean.

Our other cat, who was there at the same time, was cared for appropriately. She lived.

As for the OP’s situation, the groomers could have handled the situation much more professionally, which caused the lady’s rant. The two probably didn’t see eye-to-eye on the size of the discount… and trust me, when “nerve damage” is mentioned as a possibility (by their own professionals), I’m sure the customer’s not going to be as forgiving.

64. AlyssaEs says:

My parents took their shih tzu to the local Petsmart for grooming. When they picked him up, they learned that the Petsmart groomer had, at some point, cut the dog’s skin badly enough to warrant a few stitches. At no point during the day were my parents contacted to alert them to the injury.

Petsmart took the liberty of having their own vet stitch the dog up and did not offer any kind of grooming discount. (I don’t know if they charged for vet services.) My parents were so anxious to get their poor doggie home that they didn’t put up a stink about the lack of discount. I’m appalled at Petsmart’s customer service. Don’t take your pets for grooming at Petsmart.

ps – The dog healed just fine.

65. Ninjanice says:

I think Petsmart needs to train their employees on how to handle different situations better. If my saff harmed a pet, I would do everything I could to make that customer happy. Pets are treated like members of the family and we live in a litigious society.
    I had an incident at my local Petsmart about 4-6 weeks ago. They didn’t know how to handle that situation, either. I was buying cat food- the wet kind that comes in pouches. The cashier rang everything up and bagged all of the cat food. Then I noticed that one of the pouches had been opened and got all over the other pouches of food. I alerted the cashier and she gave me some paper towel to wipe up the mess. As I’m cleaning the mess, I smell the worst smell ever- rotten cat food- and notice maggots all over the bag. At that point, the cashier gave me more paper towel and windex to clean some more. I had tried to be discreet about the maggots, so other customers wouldn’t be upset and think their pet food was tainted or something However, I got a little upset when the cashier actually expected me to clean up maggot- infested, rotten cat food. So, I said “look, this is nasty and I’m going to be sick if I have to clean this up. This is not my mess. Someone else needs to clean this mess or get me some new cat food. This is not the customer’s job”. So, she grabbed the pouches I had already cleaned off and put them in a new bag. Then I had to go back to the cat food aisle with her so we could go through all the item codes on the receipt and find the matching pouches of food. As we were matching up codes, I reached into one of the display boxes on the top shelf. Much to my surprise, a whole bunch of rotten cat food spilled down my arm. The genius that opened the cat food box had used a knife and cut open all the pouches of food. I finally get washed up and head to my car. The bag of cat food stank because the cashier put some of the pouches of food I’d wiped off into the new bag. I stank from the cat food dripping down my arm. I went into work and had to wash off all of the food pouches and myself in bleach water to get the smell off. And I never even got a real apology. I got something along the lines of “sorry, but you should’ve checked”.

66. theblackdog says:

@Git Em SteveDave displays attention-grabbing vanity: It’s a good idea, unfortunately I was in a situation where I really couldn’t do that with one of my dogs. He already had a bad experience with a groomer cutting too far so he was skittish about having his nails cut. Towards the end of his life, one of his toenails on one paw grew faster than the others, and so it would get uncomfortable quickly, and be in pain from the nail. If you tried to get your hand anywhere near that paw, he’d bite your hand, that’s how painful it was, because he never would bite me if I touched him anywhere else.

It would take 2 of us to cut that nail, one to hold him and the other to use the clippers, and he would scream so loud you’d think we were killing him.

The next dog I get, I think I’ll use a grinder instead.

67. deadspork says:

@thnkwhatyouthnk: I know that, I take my cat to Banfield for his care. I just think that it planted the seed that they were super-concerned about what is actually a very common occurance, thus causing the customer to become overly concerned.
    The quick can sometimes grow out and therefore be vulnerable to being trimmed, especially when it’s black. As others have said, it’s pretty common. My mother has a poodle and damn near every time he gets groomed they get his quick, because he does have black nails.

68. LAGirl says:

we always take our dog to be groomed at the vet. costs about the same as taking her to a regular groomer, and they do a great job.

69. RStewie says:

I often clip my cats’ nails, and after the first time, I’ve never had a problem. It’s something they know is going to happen, so they usually just lay there and let it.

Our dogs…another story. I won’t go near them, and barely let the vet do it, as well. I can’t stand to see them hurt, and they get so freaked out, it’s hard to watch.

70. MercuryPDX says:

@SadSam: First, I’m a big fan of grinding over clipping. You can grind a small bit at a time until you see the casing surrounding the quick and stop. The only thing you have to watch out for is heat caused by friction, so hop around from nail to nail to minimize the chances.

It IS possible to make a quick recede, but it takes time.

With the Dremel, you can also grind off all around the quick so that it recedes faster and you can get even shorter nails. The closer you can get to the quick, the more you can force it to recede and the more quickly it will recede.

This is from a great guide (with photos) on how to Dremel/grind a dogs nails:
    [homepages.udayton.edu]

71. bohemian says:

I rarely blame the consumer but she is really over reacting. Dogs get the quick nicked all the time. With dark nails it is really hard to see. I end up nicking one every time I do our dogs nails. So I keep styptic power or corn starch on hand. I really cut one severely and ended up having to bandage the dogs foot because she kept knocking the clot off the nail. This is not life threatening trauma, well except the drama queen owner.

Petsmart and Petco get people off the street and train them themselves (sort of) to groom dogs. So that person handling your dog doesn’t know any more than you do. Don’t expect any more either they get paid normal retail wage slave wages (I know a few people that did this job).

They shouldn’t have tried to upsell her more styptic (or whatever they were using) and probably should have bandaged the foot just as a precaution. They did give her the nail trim for free. What else does she want? They didn’t handle it well but unless she incurs more vet bills she is pretty much even with the store.

72. @ObtuseGoose: My understanding is it’s the one on Richmond @ 59 & 610…that should be the same one you’re going to unless there’s another one along West Loop South….

73. J. Gov says:

@booksy:

Grab a shirt or towel. Make a cat burrito. Free each paw just long enough to trim the nails, then return it to the inside of the burrito.

I assume this would work on small dogs, too. A boxer…maybe not so much.

74. HogwartsAlum says:

@COELACANTH:

Poor kitty! :'(

75. HogwartsAlum says:

@J. Gov:

The cat burrito works great for giving medications too.

76. bohemian says:

Everyone complaining about sub standard grooming services could always opt for one of these. Uh or not..
    [www.collegehumor.com]

77. vivelafat says:

@ThinkerTDM: Word.

If you went to the nail salon and they cut your finger you would expect a discount.
    I have cut my dogs (black) nails for years, and have never gotten blood. The secret is to cut just a little bit off every couple of days for a week. This way you don’t cut the dog.
    It is ridiculous that some of the posters on here maintain that the groomer did nothing wrong. The groomer CUT THE DOG’S QUICK and sent the dog to the VET it was that bad. Give the woman an F-ing discount.

78. bobosgirl says:

Really? She overreacted? Our groomer, who has almost 19 years of experience, says she DID NOT overreact, that they should not have charged her at all, and she needs to not only call corporate, she needs to file an official complaint with whomever in her state manages groomers liscences, since this groomer obviously needs to take his or her certification test again. SMALL nail accidents happen. If this letter writer has a dog with a nail almost gone, the groomer was A) not qualified enough to do this job, B) distracted long enough to make this mistake, C) not very smart or D) not strong enough to hold this dog and should have, at the very least, asked for help from another employee to hold this dog.Maybe a combo of all of them. @tiatrack:

79. animeredith says:

This is nothing. I once took my ferret to the vet to make sure his smashed nail was nothing too serious. It wasn’t, as it turned out, but in the process of clipping his nails they vet badly gashed his toe with the clipper. How an exotics vet with 15 years experience fails to realize that cutting a nail off that’s smashed up to the quick is going to HURT and the animal is going to fail wildly, I don’t know.

So then they tried to charge me for the clipping I didn’t ask for or need, the surgical glue to close the wound they had created, and the antibotics to treat it. I ended up calling the vet and um, imparting some choice words of wisdom to him. In the end they took all the charges off, but I still would rather avoid a vet who can’t properly perform a procedure that I’ve done for 4+ years without incident.

To the OP: Get your money back, and then learn how to clip nails yourself so that you’ll never have to deal with this idiocy again.

80. animeredith says:

@animeredith: Ahem. “fail” should be “flail”, my bad.

81. starpugbug says:

I’ve had no luck with petsmart groomers, they can barely manage to get on or two nails even cut before they give up. And then try and figure out how to charge me for one nail but I just refused.l Does it say dog grooming beauty school somewhere? Only drop outs can apply? Must not like dogs?
    After several attempts we gave up and now go to a prof groomer. She has no problem with my wiggly guys. Sometimes there’s a nick and she’s got her powder handy to stop the bleeding. No big thing.
    What happened to this poor pouch sounds like more then a nick and was so poorly handled. An apology, some of the stop bleeding stuff to take home, a couple of biscuits and no charge for any of it should have been the store response.

82. pigbearpug says:

@bohemian: Oh my god that is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. But then, I’m not a cat person. Is PETA aware of this device?

83. junkmail says:

@FunPaul: eXACTLY. A Dremel is the only thing I’ve ever used on my dogs and guinea pigs. It’s the only thing my boxer has ever sat still for. :)

84. Sanveann says:

I’ve never heard anything good about Petsmart groomers. Though my luck in the grooming department hasn’t been great — I once too my now-deceased, much-missed Maltese to a local groomer that had come recommended to me and actually cried when I saw what a terrible job they did on her. (Luckily, I had a friend who was a former groomer who agreed to do her trims for me!) But at least she wasn’t injured!

Anyway, it’s hard to say if the writer overreacted without seeing the dog’s paw. But a professional groomer should be used to a dog that “wiggles” during nail trimmings — good lord, are there any that DON’T?! And they should certainly know how to deal with black nails. I’m no pro, but I know how to cut the nails on my German shepherd without nicking him, and they’re all black.

And even putting those things aside, charging a customer for styptic powder is outrageous :P

85. bohemian says:

@pigbearpug: I don’t know if PETA has gone after them. I have not seen one anywhere in person, I am wondering if the video killed their poorly thought out business model.

I can’t help laughing about the entire video, pet and people included. Then I feel guilty for laughing about a cat being traumatized.

86. Sargasm says:

I was the OP here and to everybody who thinks this was an overreaction or that I’m a “drama queen,” if you had seen the photos I sent in (crappy photos, which is probably why they didn’t post them) I promise you would reconsider. Imagine a toenail, then cut that in half plus a little bit more, and that’s what my dog has left. The good news is that my regular vet doesn’t think there will be any nerve damage. Thanks for all the sympathy and constructive ideas. (And yes, my avatar is the dog in question.)

87. twonewfs says:

I worked at a PetSmart for three (3) whole weeks, training to be a dog trainer – training was not good, that’s another story. BUT, while working there, I asked the groomers if I could see the area where they keep the dogs, and if they used blow dryers or heat boxes. Even as an employee, they wouldn’t let me see the grooming area (“not safety-trained”) or talk about any of the procedures tehy used. I would never take my dogs somewhere that didn’t want me to see what was going on.
    So sorry to hear about your dog – and that it was bad enough for a vet visit and that the styptic powder didn’t work!

88. Anonymously says:

She had to fight for the styptic and was reminded that they “didn’t charge for the vet’s time.” The employees acted as if they were doing her a favor.

Accidents will happen and there should be clear policies in place on how to handle them. Either their policies suck, don’t exist, or the employees aren’t proper trained in them. She shouldn’t have had to fight with them in the first place. IMO, that’s what this is about.

89. Ass_Cobra says:

This is going to seem like pretty dumb/obvious advice but for smaller dogs (cats I’m guessing, unless they’re allergic) using a spoon covered in peanut butter works well for getting them to comply with any grooming short of brushing their teeth. Both of my dogs let me clean their ears, check their pads, pick dingleberries (yeah dog ownership is a blast), clip their nails, whatver as long as they have something to keep them occupied.

90. MrEvil says:

My Yorkie used to injur his toenails all the time from digging after rabbits, and yes the quick can bleed like a stuck pig, it’s nothing some Peroxide and an application of anti-hemmoragic won’t fix. This lady is being a bit of a drama queen. Especially with a big dog like a Boxer.

The store should have given her the antihemmoragic and instructed her on how to use it if the dog managed to open the wound again.

The Irresponsible dog owners are the ones that anthropomorphize their dog. Dogs, as wonderful as they are, are not children and shouldn’t be treated as such.

91. bohemian says:

I can’t stress enough for people to work with your dog when it is a puppy to let you do stuff to it that you will need to do to help maintain them. Getting them to let you mess with their ears, feet and mouth when they are little makes it oh so much easier when they are grown and bigger.

Just for the record, I took my dog to Petco for grooming (bath & nails) once and was told to never bring her back but they wouldn’t tell me why. It isn’t like they are going to hurt my feelings or something if the dog didn’t want to cooperate or was being aggressive or something. The refusal of a reason just seemed way suspect. We do everything needed at home now.

92. bobosgirl says:

Really cute- and I hope he’s not permanently traumatized by all this!@Sargasm:

93. shor0814 says:

@COELACANTH: You hit it right on the head. In my mother’s 25+ years grooming, she has never had to take a dog to the vet. The fact that the groomer even thought the dog needed a vet indicates it was more than a minor issue.

Take the dog to another vet, and let PetSmart pay that bill. A groomer can easily stop a simple bleed and that situation is no big deal. A vet visit, that raises red flags.

94. juri squared says:

For the question of how to find a good groomer: I asked my vet to recommend one. The people he recommended are wonderful, so it worked well for me. Your vet probably hears all about the local grooming outfits, so it’s a good bet he can at least tell you who to avoid.

95. disneyninja says:

I’ve never commented here before although I’ve read this for a while, but having worked as a Bather, then being trained as a Groomer through Petsmart I felt I had to jump in.

I would bath between 8-11 dogs a day so lets call a normal day 9 dogs. 9 dogs 4 feet 4 nails per foot plus some dew claws, so not counting walk-in services thats 144 nails to be trimmed a day, and each one of those was the hardest part of the whole process because for one dogs don’t like having their feet touched, bigger dogs are off balance because of holding their foot in the air and without quicking its still a lot of pressure on the nail to trim it. So over 3 or 4 years bathing I cut a lot of dogs toe nails without quicking very many of them, but it happened for several reasons. Wiggly dogs, vicious dogs with owners who insist that it gets done, or that one nail that has for some reason an extra long quick that bleeds like the dickens.

Quicking a dog’s toenail is NO reason to refund or discount a bath or groom, but providing the right service to alleviate the bleeding ann pain by using styptic powder is the right thing to do, if it does continue and vet service is required, which is odd, that should be covered. YES a “wiggly” dog is a justified reason for that kind of accident. After being kicked, bitten, headbutted, by the dogs and yelled at by owners for not being able to perfectly trim their “little angels” toenails is nonsense. There is no way to explain to a dog “please sit still, I want to trim your nails to keep your feet healthy, it will take but a moment”

As for the behaviour of the staff trying to charge her for the styptic powder that is silly, and yes offering free service for a vet to look at it and treat it should have been enough to cover the problem.

One of the resons I will never groom again is the amount of stress that job brought. I do now trim and bathe my own dogs at home.

96. Karyn says:

@booksy: I don’t know if I’d say it’s “easy” to do a cat’s nails, but I do my 3 about every other month or so, and it’s not the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I think your approach, the cat’s willingness to be held & clipped, and their trust/familiarity with your handling of them helps.

My two oldest only have back claws and I do theirs only every other time I do my youngest. His are razor-sharp, but I’ve clipped them since he was a kitten, and though it’s not his favorite activity, I can usually do all four feet in a sitting without much protest (he’s 4 now).

One thing I find helpful is starting from a kitten (or, as young as you get them) making them familiar with you touching their toes & feet. Mine also LOVE treats, and treats are always delivered after trimming.

Luckily, my cats have white nails and I can see the quick, but I am as careful as can be anyway because my fear is: if I ever nick him good enough to draw blood, the next blood drawn might be my own. ;D Other than that, none of us want to bring pain to our pets…

Maybe your vet/groomer could teach you how to clip them, and you could do it one paw at a time, nipping only a little off each toe at a time? Otherwise, yeah, stick with a professional…

Less traumatizing for you and the kitty. :)

97. dougkern says:

an EECB.. for this?? I thought you guys always advised people to only use the EECB in the most dire of circumstances. The PetsMart employees seemed to have handled this pretty well.

98. Milkman_Murdock says:

@elocanth: Yes, Petsmart groomers actually get sent away to school on Petsmart’s dime to learn how to groom and sign a contract for around 2 years when they return. After they they are responsible to get their own clients and make their own commissions. Everyone who says take their dog to a professional groomer…that’s what the trained, and certified employees are within the grooming department. They must do various dogs of varying breed before they are allowed to move up to more difficult ones. It is not a simple case of “here’s your diploma, now go shave a poodle”.

As far as the vet in the store, they are not a part of Petsmart with the exception that the vet is located IN the store. The vet services there who tried to sell the customer a product, shouldn’t be a reflection of Petsmart which clearly handled it differently with an offered discount (which didn’t seem enough for the customer) and a free vet bill. Petsmart didn’t try to sell the lady a product, the vet located in the store did. Obvious when she said the manager gave her the product for free.

Perhaps the manager should have done more, but sadly these things do happen. It sounds like the incident was more involved than a simple nick for all those people who say a styptic pencil is all that is needed. It seems people didn’t actually read the whole article, or at least read it carefully to realize who is at fault and who made the mistakes here.

99. vivelafat says:

@disneyninja: Are you a professional groomer? Do you have a groomers license? Because my groomer (who does have license and went to school for it) has cut the quick ONCE in the five years we have been going to her. When she did, she discounted the service. Dog’s nails CAN and ARE clipped everyday without causing bleeding. If it was bad enough to send the dog to the vet then they should have discounted her. You know that. I want to think that you do.

100. FijianTribe says:

Could you imagine that happening at a hospital.

Opps…. Yeah we are going to need about $10K to sew that one back on. Our bad.

101. stefbakes says:

I don’t understand why this is causing that much ruckus…If it hadn’t been done in a store, there would be no uproar at all.
    Professional groomers do this all the time and apply quick stop.

Haven’t any of you ever bled on your finger from a broken nail?

102. UniComp says:

I used to work at PetCo (ugghhh) and we had onsite groomers as well. Cutting a dogs toenails too short is extremely common and always looks worse than it usually is.

The groomers had their own supply of ‘styptic powder’ that they would use to stop the bleeding, but the customer was never charged for applying the powder. If the customer’s dog wouldn’t stop bleeding, we would have offered to give them the powder for free. If anyone clips their own dog’s nails, they should know that bleeding is common and should have their own supply of powder on hand.

The customer in this story shouldn’t be surprised by the dog’s bleeding nails, as it is so common that groomers are prepared for it. The store should have offered free styptic powder and possibly a discount simply to make the customer happy and shut up about it. The powder is fairly inexpensive. I think we sold it for $10 or less. Small price for the store to pay to keep a customer.

But the customer should not be surprised by the bleeding. It is incredibly common. Your professional groomers probably just never mentioned it if it happened in the past. It’s not exactly something you want to bring up if you don’t have to.

103. AlexanderNanget says:

Having worked in a retail grooming salon I can understand how difficult it can be to trim a wiggly dogs nails. I was often on my own on less busy days and didn’t always have the extra set of hands I needed to restrain a “difficult” dog. It didn’t happen often, but sometimes I had to recommend the dog getting its’ nails trimmed at a vet because one, the dog was so stressed out their eyes looked like they were going to burst, two, I did not feel safe (the dog wanted to not just bite me, but maul me), or three, because the dog was a hemophiliac. If that happened, the customer’s bill was almost always discounted and sometimes they received a discount off of their next visit. If a nail was ever cut too short, and trust me, even the most skilled groomer can do it, we would supply the styptic to put on the wound right then and there, and would often send home a little doggie bag of our store-use stuff to help out the owner. That was just what we did. I don’t
    know if it was store-cleared or not, but we always felt bad if we cut a nail too short. Also, we would let the owner know of a quick alternative – corn starch.

It sounds to me like the nail got caught in the trimmers, your doggy wiggled and off went the nail. By no means am I saying it was your dogs’ fault. These things happen sometimes. I definitely think they should have given you the styptic powder, no questions asked. You may want to get a copy of any paperwork you filled out, like if you release PetSmart of liability if something happens, etc. Check that fine print.

104. Anonymous says:

I have been a dog groomer for 6 yrs. I’ve worked at private shops and now I work at a Petsmart. Quicking dogs nails is never fun but is very common. My personal solution is to tell the customer, let them know the severity of it and offer some styptic powder to go home with. To a point I can understand being upset, but its such a minor thing. Be prepared it can happen at any salon. And to the people who think the groomers are no different than the “kids who stock the shelf” you MUST be out of your mind. Petsmart is ALL about safety. And let me tell you something about private shops…your dog is more likey to get abused behind closed doors. And only some owners of these shops enforce safety while others don’t . And while petsmart may be pricey…remember they have the highest safety standards because they are a corporation. Don’t always trust your groomer at the corner.