Disney Decides To Stop Selling "Dive In" Panties For Young Girls

Gee, someone wasn’t thinking too clearly when they were designing High School Musical 2 themed panties for Disney. Sold in the UK, one pair of panties in a package of 5 read “Dive In” — a reference to a scene from the popular musical.

From the Daily Mail:

Mrs Ralph, 57, a civil servant, said: ‘I bought the packet of five multi-coloured knickers. Because they are in a packet, you can’t see the writing “Dive In” on them.

‘I was extremely shocked when I saw what was on them and I don’t believe Disney or anyone else is so stupid not to realise the implications of the wording they chose.

‘You let your children watch all these programmes, which are innocent and nice.

‘But the merchandising that runs alongside them is the complete opposite. It’s sexually suggestive, inappropriate and wholeheartedly wrong in some cases.

Disney has issued the following statement:

“Unfortunately, an oversight was made and the text on the underwear was used out context,” Disney said in a statement. “This product will not be part of any forthcoming collections and the remaining product has been removed from shelves.”

That’s probably for the best.

Outrage at High School Musical knickers for young girls emblazoned with the words ‘Dive In’ [Daily Mail]

Disney says no to ‘Musical’ panties
[Reuters via Fark]

Comments

1. AI says:

Oh, ‘Dive In’. I thought it said ‘Drive In’, which I found to be way funnier.

2. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Don’t they test products before putting them out there? Aren’t there focus groups and stuff?

Can’t they just have someone not involved in the product’s development look at it to make sure the first reaction to it isn’t “WTF!”?

3. brother9 says:

I don’t get it. If they’re for young (presumably 9 and under) girls, who is looking at their panties??? Does this crazy person think that’s the kind of thing that would drive a pedo over the edge?

I don’t see a 7 year old, under the kind of hypersensitive “parenting” this woman is using, understanding that there might be any sexual implications from the phrase. If she does know, shouldn’t the mother have a dialog with her daughter rather than a media-grab?

I’m thinking the mother saw this and saw lawsuit dollar signs, not sexual impropriety.

4. Shadowfire says:

If there’s grass on the field…..

*cough* never mind.

5. bobosgirl says:

As a Mom of 4 girls, I think “Mrs. Ralph” needs to get a grip! Good grief, I wonder if she disallows “bit a honey” candy in her home,too- because someone might think it descibes her daughter- AAGGGGGHHHHH! I’d consider this a “1″ on my offensive meter- her reaction is the funniest thing of all.

6. bobosgirl says:

You’re disghusting@Shadowfire:

7. Lin-Z [linguist on duty] says:

@brother9: I don’t think the idea is that someone who has the girl’s pants off and thinking “should I, or maybe not?” is literally going to see it and think “Dive in!” The woman is probably more outraged by the general inappropriateness of the sentiment.

8. krom says:

That’s what happens when you offshore your branded clothing. “Here, put these graphics in a language you don’t understand on these items of clothing.” Recipe for win!

9. bobosgirl says:

Exactly- that was my first thought,too@brother9:

10. TomCruisesTesticles says:

Mrs. Ralph, you’re the one with your mind in the gutter. “It’s sexually suggestive, inappropriate and wholeheartedly wrong in some cases.” If you look hard enough, there are double entendres in most everything

11. TomCruisesTesticles says:

And thus we have the age old imply vs. infer debate. Who is at fault? I hardly think that Disney is promoting pedophilia, molestation, or sex among children. What you infer is your problem

12. sean77 says:

Disney is well known for their innuendos. “Darling, it’s better down where it’s wetter”

13. bobosgirl says:

says the lobster to the fish? yep, super sexually suggestive@sean77:

14. TomCruisesTesticles says:

People are offended over the craziest things. A white politician apologized to a black civil servant for calling some local government office a “black hole.” In no way was that racist, it meant that problems, complaints, issues, etc. go in, and in the bureaucratic mess they get sucked in and never come out or get resolved. In no way was it racially motivated. The African Americans who think they have the monopoly on when it’s okay to say “black” even outside a racial context piss me off. Sometimes it can be considered a double entendre, but there is such a thing as reading too much into something.

15. angryhippo says:

Stay classy Disney

16. malvones says:

@TomCruisesTesticles: Speaking of getting off-topic..

17. timmus says:

Several years ago in OKC I was sitting in the supermarket parking lot waiting on my wife, and some mom and her 8-year old girl show up to load their SUV. Embroidered & sequined on the ass of the 10-year old girl (short shorts) was *HOTTIE* (asterisks = actually stars). If a lot of moms are really oblivious to their prepubescent daughters turning into Rollergirl then who can be surprised at this Disney faux.

18. Nick1693 says:

“”Unfortunately, an oversight was made and the text on the underwear was used out context,” Disney said in a statement.”

I think what they mean to say is “Unfortunately, an oversight was made and the text on the underwear was taken out of context”

Well, they didn’t take it seriously. =)

19. ludwigk says:

This is like the Walmart panties that said:

[front]“Who needs credit cards?”
    [back]“When you’ve got santa?”

and people went back and forth as to the appropriateness of this message after Walmart pulled them from stores. I don’t understand putting messages on any panties. I don’t get why a young girls’ crotch requires reading material to begin with.

This is like those sweatpants that teenagers wear that say “Juicy” across the butt. What exactly are we supposed to make of that?

20. TomCruisesTesticles says:

@malvones: I use the threads as a forum to rally everyone up and argue against the voices in my head.

I plead guilty to derailing multiple threads.

21. joellevand says:

@TomCruisesTesticles: Oh NOES! You have admitted to thread hi-jacking, which runs ‘a foul of the new commenting T&C and will be dealt with harshly! RUN!!!!!

22. joellevand says:

@TomCruisesTesticles: BTW, where my husband is from, they can’t call them “black boards” and “white erase boards” because it’s racist, apparently.

*shrugs*

23. midwestkel says:

@Shadowfire: Funniest thing I have seen all day.

24. midwestkel says:

@joellevand: They actually dont call them “white erase boards” they call them “eraser boards” as white is a racist term.

25. BrianDaBrain says:

@AirIntake: Dirve in… I like it. Well, it’s funny at least. Is there a reason though that girls panties need cute messages? Do they occupy themselves at slumber parties by playing “Guess what my panties say”? Textless is fine, people!

On an aside, these products seem meant for younger girls, which begs the question, who’s going to see that would care? The girl? Her mom?

26. Jthmeffy says:

@TomCruisesTesticles: and thinking you are entitled because of it… I hate people sometimes..

27. EdnaLegume says:

these panties would be appropriate for Michael Phelps to wear! He’s a swimmer.. “dive in”.. get it! I bet he’d look adorable in pink.

28. bhall03 says:

Ahhhh…don’t get your panties in a wad.

You should still be able to pick these up at WalMart for months, if not years, based on their restocking practices.

29. ghank says:

@Shadowfire
    If they’re old enough to go to the store, they’re old enough to get bred.

30. spryte says:

I’m sort of perturbed by how many people think this is totally not an issue, based largely on “no one will see a little kid’s underpants”. I mean…what if the underwear had a definitely explicit sexual message on them? What if they were Alice In Wonderland-themed and said “Eat me”? It’s not the thought that people might possibly see them on a child, it’s the thought in the first place of putting anything innuendo-ish on clothing – whether it be outerwear or underwear – for a child. I don’t think the folks at Disney made these with the aim of being perverted, but the fact that it didn’t occur to anyone there that it maybe wasn’t right is what creeps me out.

31. spryte says:

@midwestkel: Then you’re disgusting.

32. ShabazOSU says:

No need to totally stop production of the product or throw away the thousands they’ve probably already produced, just sell them to stores like Spencer’s or something. These would definitely make a ‘classy’ gift.

33. MercuryPDX says:

@spryte: I think the “innuendo” is in the eye of the beholder. You can find a sexual subtext in anything if you look at it long and hard enough. ;)

34. Shadowfire says:

@MercuryPDX: BOYCOTT THIS POST! =D

35. HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak says:

@MercuryPDX: Believe you me, I’m definitely no prude, but somehow, I don’t think it takes a whole lot of long, hard looking to see the hidden message implied when one writes “Dive in!” on the crotch of a girl’s panties.

36. Dabigkid says:

@MercuryPDX: Tee hee, you said “hard.”

37. godlyfrog says:

@spryte: Where you see a sexual comment, my daughter sees the same text that she has on her t-shirt. Panties are clothing to her, and not the last line of sexual defense, nor an invitation to sex.

Personally, I think people like Mrs Ralph are so wrapped up in themselves that they forget other people look at things differently, even their children or grandchildren.

38. thelushie says:

If you don’t think that a 7-9 year old would know what that was insinuating, you are fooling yourself. They hear worse at school and on the internet.

I had a thong that said “Paradise Found”. But then again, I am an adult woman.

I am no prude but I find these Disney panties to be tacky. If you are really wanting them, though, give it a week and they will be on EBay.

39. thelushie says:

@spryte: Very well said. It is a little disturbing to think that some think that this is ok.

On a complete sidenote, don’t let your kids wear clothing with words on them! I can’t stand watching young women strut around with Pink on their asses. That is loungewear…not outside wear. Let’s start teaching girls style and class.

40. dragonfire81 says:

@joellevand: My grandmother loves to tell the story of a coworker who tore a strip of her for referring to an office object as a “blackboard” because it was apparently racist.

My grandmother loves telling the story so she can let everyone know how off her rocker that woman was.

41. This is like candy cigarettes. It reinforces an image. In retrospect, I find candy cigarettes appalling because smoking is gross (and they weren’t even that good).

So I think the point behind the complaint is that mass-market sexualization keeps targeting a younger and younger crowd. Today, she’s wearing “Dive in!” knickers, tomorrow she’s a sorostitute. They’ve tapped the college crowd. Teens are in on it too. In the interest of broadening the market, now they’re going after the children with oblivious parents. Corrupt them while they’re young and impressionable. It makes your work easier later.

And that if Mrs Ralph had known she was buying her daughter something that said “Dive in!” should wouldn’t have done it. That’s fair enough.

42. jeffimix says:

@TomCruisesTesticles:

“If you look hard enough”

Enough said.

43. TomCruisesTesticles says:

@spryte: Oooh Alice in Wonderland! How about Down the rabbit hole on the back of the panties? Or No Rabbits?

44. MercuryPDX says:

@godlyfrog: Thanks. That’s exactly what I meant. A 9 year old sees “Zac Effron and Vanessa Hudgens dancing”…. a 39-year old sees “sexual invitation”.

@thelushie: Then I take it “Dive In” in the HSM movies refers to “pre-teen sexual promiscuity” and not something as innocent as “School Spirit” or “swimming lessons”?

45. Hanke says:

@krom: That’s not how it works. Generally, the designs are done in the US, they must then be approved by the licensor before they can be manuafcatured. A sample then is made for the retailer to approve. Once those approvals are done, it goes to the off-shore manufacturing.

As the Disney statement says, the graphic has been taken out-of-context.

46. spryte says:

@TomCruisesTesticles: Oh, piss off.

47. thelushie says:

@MercuryPDX: Are the actresses running around with “Dive in” on their panties? Are the actresses 9 years old? On a pair of panties meant for a kid, that statement is not appropriate. On a t-shirt with a surfer design, completely different story. And if you think that 7-9 year olds in this day and age do not know the difference, you are fooling yourself.

It is nice and pleasant to think of childhood as innocence and goodness, but that is not the case anymore. Kids are alot more advanced than we ever were as children. And that is the adults fault. Because of this “advancement”, we should protect children. Children are sexualized enough, especially little girls, without having to have “dive in” on their panties. Because, in the off chance that they don’t know what it is insinuating, one of their friends will and will fill them in. Let the vicious teasing (“you like boys” or whatnot) begin.

Why do you think that a 39 year old seeing Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Effron dancing is a sexual invitation? Are they in their underwear dancing? Are they naked? Dancing has nothing to do with sex. My god, I am in my thirties and that would have never crossed my mind.

48. These are little girl panties? Then who in Hades are going to see the writing on the panties? Mommy, maybe Daddy and Uncle Perv if he is lucky (or little girl is unlucky). Pretty much means that Uncle Perv, if he is viewing the writing on the panties, is all ready where he don’t belong and a wee little bit of writing is going to neither encourage nor discourage his further explorations. For all practical purposes the panties could say “x%&# me” and it would be totally meaningless because nobody with a sexual though in their mind is going to see the message.

49. And if Disney had panties that said “x%&# me”, please let me know so we can get major pissy out of general principal.

50. MercuryPDX says:

@thelushie: Are the actresses running around with “Dive in” on their panties? Are the actresses 9 years old?

I haven’t seen the movie so I couldn’t tell you, but I think it’s a safe assumption the actresses are older than 9 and “Dive In” is a song/dance number from the movie.

I dunno where you got this from, perhaps you misread my comment?

51. thelushie says:

This is where I am coming from…quote from your post:

“That’s exactly what I meant. A 9 year old sees “Zac Effron and Vanessa Hudgens dancing”…. a 39-year old sees “sexual invitation”.”

Maybe I should have phrased it “AS a sexual invitation”.

I haven’t seen the movie and have no intention to but I pretty much guessed that they were not 9 years old. My point was that there is a difference between an adult with “dive in” on their panties (which at this point there isn’t) and a kid.

52. MercuryPDX says:

@thelushie:

Innuendo is in the eye of the beholder…

A 9-year old sees “Dive In” on the underwear and associates it with the movie.

A 39-year old sees “Dive In” on the underwear and associates it with a sexual invitation.

53. Consumerist-Moderator-Roz says:

Provacateurs, simmer down, and offenderati, stop allowing yourselves to get provoked to the point of being out of line yourselves.

54. coan_net says:

If someone who would take “dive in” in a bad way…… is already that close to a child wearing the underwear……. I honestly think there is already a VERY BIG issue bigger then what is written on them.

55. thelushie says:

@MercuryPDX: Whatever.

@coan_net: What is the bigger issue?

56. GamblesAC2 says:

@TomCruisesTesticles:I totaly agree with you man. and you kno what the funny thing is that african americans in my school think they own the word CRACKER now too (in all contexts, in some cases even discribing the food) I half white and half hispanic and I’m not easly offended at terms that my be durrogitory to the fact that i am part mexican. whay cant everyone be like that?
    @MercuryPDX: true, had this issue not been brought to my attention i would have not thought twice about the “suggustive panties”. someone elses may have seen it and had it fit(like this over concerned mother in the artical) or got hot. though now that i know its kindof funny espcialy beacuse at first it looked like drive in….lol

57. Parting says:

Okkkk, creepy parents. Seeing this, on kid’s panties, I had no twisted thoughts, at all.

Those parents need serious psychological help.

58. GamblesAC2 says:

@GamblesAC2: *why

59. Jackasimov says:

@malvones: and needlessly wound-up.

60. Trai_Dep says:

At least Disney had the foresight to not release the eatable version of these. Even though the bubble-gum flavor is said to have been yummy!

61. pileofmonkeycrap says:

We dive at five!

62. RandPaul says:

63. @ spryte: I WANT ALICE AND WONDERLAND “EAT ME” PANTIES!!!

Yup, that’s it. I’m stuck on it now. I’m going to be searching all over the internets for them.

64. Wormfather is Wormfather says:

@spryte: I cant wait to have kids so that I can let them be desensitized to everything because, belive it or not, that’s part of being a kid. Nothing matters, its parents that are like the police telling them “Come of the roof RIGHT NOW!” or “Take that out of her or I’m calling your dad”

The “Eat me” metaphor is a bad one because under this same theory, taking your kid to see any Pixar or Dreamworks film is a bad idea because thye are filled with enuendo that’s way too inappropriate for kids, but guess what? It goes right over thier head, yes even the head of your 6 year old baby einstein genious and if it doesnt, then you’ve probably already failed as a parent. Sucks to be you (I dont mean you personally, more general).

@Shadowfire: I could so top that, but it would result in an immediate banning from all of the internets. Roz can do that ya know.

How about this, I’ll give you another less harsh one but disemvowel it myself: f t blds it brds

65. HFC says:

First, why are small children watching a movie about high school kids? The movie was made for teens, why do parents let their young children watch it? Why is Disney marketing items to small children based on a movie with a teenage target audience?

Second, little kids love to have things written on their underwear. Boys like to have Superman, Spiderman or Thomas the Tank Engine, etc., including phrases from those programs. Girls love Tinkerbell, Disney princesses and Barbie on their panties, including phrases from the movies. They are kids, they like that kind of crap. It doesn’t have to say “I’m a whore!” or “Grab my junk!” There’s no reason to stop putting words on kid’s underwear, as long as what is there is age appropriate.

Third, I don’t know where some of you live or your kids go to school, but my 7-year old girl wouldn’t have any idea there could possibly be a suggestion that the phrase “dive in” could have anything to do with her vagina. If your kid would, you might need to rethink your parenting choices, because you have bigger problems than what your kid’s underwear says on it.

Finally, the phrase isn’t on the crotch of the panties, it’s at the top. If it were literally on the crotch, I might have a problem with it, otherwise, I don’t really. I do have a problem with companies/stores marketing thongs to preteens, that’s just wrong.

66. stanner says:

@RandPaul: I dont know why a child’s underwear needs to have anything written on it in the first place

Monday, Tuesday, etc. For a 4 year old (and her incompetent dad that’s having to dress her all week while mom’s out of town)- Though I’m sure there’s some way to read something awful into those too.

67. bobosgirl says:

I watched this movie with my 18 year old, 14 year old and 7 year old daughters and 6 of their friends- ALL were equally excited. There is NOTHING innappropriate in this movie- it is a rated G, fun movie that can be enjoyed by all ages, and our group included one as young as 5. I don’t think Disney marketed it specifically to teens, and you don’t have to be a teen to enjoy it.@HFC:

68. cerbie says:

Behind the scenes:

1. Evil flying monkey with a tie thinks, “we need a full clothing line to squeeze more money from this franchise.”

2. Evil flying monkey with an unbuttoned collar puts song names or chorus lines on everything. He does so as stylishly as an evil flying monkey wearing a, “see me? I’m a stereotypical creative type,” shirt can. Obviously, using an Apple.

3. Evil flying money with a checklist says, “Same phrase as on everything else. Pass.” Secretly, he wants to go back to the good old days of harassing munchkins.

4. Evil flying monkey with a tie orders munchkin-sweatshop-made boatloads (literally, I’m sure) of them.

5. Mrs. Ralph sees it, projects her thoughts onto them, and thinks it’s bad. For PR reasons, they pull them. They say, “oops; that won’t happen again.” They really don’t care.

6. Evil flying monkey with unbuttoned collar, and the one with the checklist, both wonder how on Earth they’re supposed to think of these things before they hit shelves. When they see them, it’s colored cloth with a logo. When they think of girls wearing them, they realize they have no task away from home that needs doing the next time one of their wives agrees to host a sleepover.

During an afternoon delousing, they decide that Evil flying monkey with unbuttoned collar needs some work done on his truck (wasn’t it better when they just flew where they needed to, carrying sacks?), and evil flying monkey with a checklist needs needs help choosing new home theater equipment (OK, they never could had that, before). They also talk nostalgically of when they were led by a real wicked witch, with green skin and a pointy hat. Masculine excuses taken care of, they manage to design, then approve, another product just like this by this time next year. Mrs. Ralph’s thoughts never cross their minds.

9. Not buying Disney branded clothes, anymore, Mrs. Ralph never sees the new one. We don’t read about it. The public never catches on to Disney paying a vet for their clothing design team’s health care plan.

10. Eisner has a bucket poured out on him, and melts (*sigh* I can dream, can’t I?)

This speaks to me of prudishness on Mrs. Ralph’s part. I’d have seen this and just walked on by. Given that the simplest way across Walmart is by the girls underwear (also by the DVDs, CDs, video games, and HD TVs), and the whole section is saturated with Disney, I may have.

Oh, crap. I admitted I go to Walmart. :P

@spryte: this is some tag line from a Disney franchise, with obvious “innocent” context. The response would be different if it were, say, the Rolling Stones logo.

69. cerbie says:

@Wormfather is Wormfather: yeah, I didn’t even think of that. Go watch Pee Wee’s show. I saw a few episodes when they had on Adult Swim for awhile. After about ten minutes of the first one, I no longer wondered why it was on Adult Swim.

70. smonkey says:

What if they said “stop!” and had a picture of a stop sign?
    Does she honestly think that would stop someone?

71. FijianTribe says:

Syour daughters to school with no panties at all… nothing wrong with that unless your mind is in the gutter eh.

To think that the decision makers at Disney who authorized the design didn’t realize there could be another context to the wording is ignorance.

But as long as mothers refuse to believe they are turning their daughters into ….. and try to justify everything, consumer purchases will just keep these products on the shelf.

Go to an jr high graduation and you can plainly see that young girls dressed like street hookers often have mothers dressed there the same.

72. TheRealAbsurdist says:

“When correctly viewed,
    Everything is lewd.
    I could tell you things about Peter Pan,
    And the Wizard of Oz? There’s a dirty old man…”

“Smut”, Tom Lehrer

73. FijianTribe says:

@smonkey:

Actually this might work. If she is mute can she say no. And if not, then can it be a date rape?

But if she has panties with a stop sign or NO, does this count as saying no?

And if so, can a woman who speaks then go back and say it was rape because her panties said no?

74. cerbie says:

[Send your] daughters to school with no panties at all… nothing wrong with that unless your mind is in the gutter eh.

Strawman, maybe appeal to emotion?

I’m sure they could have. Anyone could have. But, could not it also be that we could see ourselves making similar oversights (it is being presented to them with many other products with similar things on them, and the reviewer will be familiar with the content they refer to, providing context), and as such, aren’t willing to demonize the guys at Disney in this way? They still deserve to be demonized as a whole, of course.

But as long as mothers refuse to believe they are turning their daughters into [whores?] and try to justify everything, consumer purchases will just keep these products on the shelf.

Hard to pin this one down. “As long as…” makes me lean to false cause, maybe with a pinch of judgmental speech. But, then, there’s more, because it’s a false cause to a consequence is falsely bundled in with the article’s subject. Hmmm.

Plain old red herring (it is related to High School Musical clothing…how?).

P.S. This is important.

75. Johnyalamo says:

I’m just wondering what the reaction would be if the message logo was on the back. Or what if somone made adult diapers with the same message. “discusss……………..”

76. FijianTribe says:

@cerbie: What and no comment on the mute rape issue? Come on man, I’m trying to get a reaction out of you…. ;-)

77. cerbie says:

@FijianTribe: actually, I thought that was kind of funny.

78. XanderSan says:

@cerbie: @FijianTribe: Better yet; Magic 8-Ball panties.

“Can I have sex with you tonight?” *SHAKES*

“DIVE IN”

Brings a much more random and exciting element to foreplay. Even if the girl is mute/unconcious!

79. JoshReflek says:

If your daughter is old enough to catch the innuendo, then she’s either old enough for you to have the “sex talk”, or she gets the joke and is mature enough to handle it.

Does this mother even watch kids programming?
    TV is full of perversion.

This crazy mom has her head in the sand.

Buy it or don’t, but stop telling people what they can and can’t make, in *your* opinion.