Netflix Screws Up, Makes Thousands Of Customers Happy?

We’ve had no less than 20 people email us to congratulate Netflix for apologizing after their shipping system experienced some delays. Here’s the email and some comments from Netflix’s customers:

“IMPORTANT: Your DVD Shipments Have Likely Been Delayed

We’re sorry to report that since Tuesday we’ve been experiencing issues with our shipping system, so many of you have not received DVDs in a timely manner and many of you have not received emails letting you know we got a DVD back from you.
We pride ourselves in delighting you, and we’ve let you down. We apologize and are working around the clock to restore normal operations. To all of you whose shipments have been delayed, we’ll be automatically applying a credit to your next billing statement. Or, if you are new to Netflix and your first shipments have been delayed, we recognize that this is not a good way to begin your Netflix membership and we’ll automatically extend your free trial.
Our goal is to ship DVDs as soon as possible and to keep you updated. Again, we are sorry for the inconvenience we’ve caused you and thank you for your patience.
The Netflix Team”

I actually didn’t even notice that my Netflix had been delayed until checking the website, but I appreciate that they are straightforward about the issue. -Kristin

Unlike the J. Crew “We’ve made some mistakes…” notice, Netflix here acknowledges the cause of the problem, that the company is working to fix it, and offers customers compensation. -Brent

I’m HAPPY about how well the service provider is handling the outage, mostly because other service providers handle things like this SO poorly. -Steve

While my personal experience hasn’t been affected by this shipping delay, I am still pleased by their efforts to publicly own up to an error. Not to mention their effort to smooth things over for anyone bothered by the hiccup. I have always been pleased with Netflix and their customer service, and this is just another instance that tells me I’ve chosen to give my business to a great company. -Annie

1- they admit they messed up (I hadn’t even noticed)
2- they said they were sorry
3- they will be crediting me for the error

I’m left happy, even if I need to wait an extra day or two for the new Harold and Kumar movie. -B.

If something did happen, I haven’t noticed. Thank you once again Netflix for rising above my expectations. You quickly own up to a problem and provide the appropriate compensation without making me get into a verbal fist fight with a CSR. -Eric

Way to go, Netflix. Now fix your site!

(Photo: corsec67 )

Comments

1. davebg5 says:

So, basically, Netflix is the anti-Apple?

2. VA_White says:

Netflix is the anti-Blockbuster. I haven’t set foot in a Blockbuster since I joined Netflix two years ago and I probably never will again.

3. mike says:

If I watched more movies, I’d totally join netflix. I barely watch two movies a month.

4. xxenclavexx says:

netflix is awesome

5. chemman says:

I was surprised to see the email this morning. It was funny because I sent a dvd out tues and have never had the turn around take more than two days (one to return, one to ship to me) and just thought this morning-“huh, I haven’t received my new movie nor an email stating they’ve received the other, I wonder if I forgot to put it out in the mail?” Then I get to work and see the email and figured out what was wrong, so it was perfect timing for me. I appreciate them being honest and proactively notifying users, I’m sure it easier than fielding thousands of calls about “where is my movie?”

6. Anonymous says:

Netflix has been nothing less than excellent in my 3 years of service. I wouldn’t have even had known about their outage but they chose to apologize anyway. Now if i could only be more like netflix.

7. Bladefist says:

Ya this is pretty classy move. More great news for me, a class action law suit against netflix recently ended, and I’m getting a whole month free.

Netflix used to be crap. If you ask me, the consumers made netflix better. Their stock crashed years ago, and we fled to all these new start ups. As those start ups crashed, netflix got its act together.

8. TVGenius says:

Screw Netflix. We’ve had NO discs since Monday (the day we mailed the last of our three back), and absolutely NO email from them. And of those last three discs, one of them never made it to us, the Netflix site shows they shipped and received it back the same day. You’d think their marvelous operation would notice that it would be impossible for us to have returned it that fast.

9. nybiker says:

When I didn’t get the emails telling me that they received my movies, I was thinking the post office delayed them or maybe they were throttling me back so I waited another day. It was when I got two msgs about received DVDs, but not the third that I was concerned. That’s when I saw the email msg yesterday. Of course I was also surprised I received a movie, but no email. So, I’m not too concerned as of yet, since I have 2 movies to watch this weekend.

All-in-all, they provide a great experience.

10. harryhoody says:

I could totally feel this with my sixth netflixy sense. I didn’t get my movies when I expected them. They were delayed by two days. Oh well, had to watch more Arrested Development, I live a hard life. By the way, Nexflix is the best thing since sliced bread.

11. Diet-Orange-Soda says:

I noticed and has actually reported a return missing because of it. I’m hoping for a free month but I don’t really care. It took us two weeks to return that disc in the first place.

12. Average_Joe says:

Blockbuster will never achieve this level of customer service. It looks like netflix figured out how to gain the advantage in the market.

13. captainpicard says:

@linus:

I agree. I have ups and downs with my movie watching. I’ll go 6 months without watching one then watch like 5 in one month. Each time I come to my up in movie watching I alwasy contemplate getting netflix, but then I tell myself to wait a month and see if I still want it.

This actually isn’t the first time netflix has owned up and apoligized. If you search on the netflix tag there are 2 previous stories. No company is perfect but netflix is as close as it comes because they acknowledge mistakes and offers compensation (when none is really justified).

14. cmdrsass says:

A little honesty goes a long way in ensuring customer loyalty. Nothing diffuses an angry customer faster than simply saying “yeah we messed up, but we’ll do what we can to make it right”.

15. acknight says:

@TVGenius: Usually, this means that the shipping label and/or envelope got mangled or returned to them. If you report the problem to them, they’ll re-send it.

16. I’ve been with Netflix since 2003, and in all honesty I have never been angry with them. Occasionally irritated when they ship me Disk 3 in a series because disk 2 was unavailable for some reason … but I got over it rather quickly.

Bravo Netflix.

17. mac-phisto says:

@linus: ahh! but perhaps you would watch more movies if you joined netflix. damn causality dilemmas!
    =========
    it’s good to know that there’s still a handful of companies run by intelligent people that understand how to maintain customer relationships. good job, netflix!

18. mike says:

For comparison, as of 1:05pm, Netflix Stock (NFLX): 31.59

Blockbuster (BBI): 2.46

19. Bladefist says:

@mac-phisto: I agree, but one must ask why didn’t they email us and tell us? I think they are hoping some won’t notice.

20. DeafChick says:

Yes, I got the same message and I’m hoping for a free month.

21. mike says:

@mac-phisto: But I don’t watch enough movies in a month to get netflix. But I see your point. I probably would watch more movies if I got netflix. But I really don’t need to watch 5 movies a month…AH!!

Actually, if/when I get a bluray player, I see myself doing netflix. I think bluray disc are too expensive to purchase.

22. JanetCarol says:

I <3 Love Netflix
    I mail a movie back to them, have one day with out a movie, and then poof New movie.
    Plus you can’t beat the price as far as buying a movie from your cable company or going to the movie store

23. Mary says:

I think a lot of the goodwill towards Netflix is something they’ve built up over years of good service and good products. Since I’ve been a member so long (I want to say since 2001, but I honestly can’t remember, somewhere around then) and I’ve had so precious few issues (I can count them on one hand) that I’m willing to let them have the benefit of the doubt. I absolutely believe that it’s a problem beyond their control and that they’re doing their best to fix it and will do their best to make it up to me.

Besides, lately I’ve just been watching season one of Doctor Who on their instant feature and it’s taking up a lot of my time ; )

24. stezton says:

I’ve only been with Netflix with a few months and while I’m disappointed with what’s going on, I understand technology can be a b—h. I was surprised yesterday when my next two movies came in the mail even though the website still has “shipping Tuesday” for one and “shipping Wednesday” for the other. So fear not fellow Netflixers, yours could be on its way, too.

25. TomCruisesTesticles says:

Awesome. Before I was even aware of the problem I got the email. Sad though, that when a company acually takes responsibility it’s seen as messianic in relation to others, when it should be expected

26. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

I’m rather new to netflix but I’ve been really enjoying the service so far. I just sent a movie back to them a couple of days ago and my account hasn’t been updated for that yet. Then I noticed an odd thing where my next movie was in the list for “processing” but it still showed that I had the one at home that I sent back to them. Now the movie that said “processing” is not in the list, nor back in my queue. If they send out my husband’s movie before the one I wanted I’m going to be pretty miffed.*

*We have the two out at a time plan, and we have our queue arranged where every other one is my movie or his movie. He’s still got a movie at home so the next one up was mine.

27. katylostherart says:

i got the email after i got my shipments. over all i’m pretty freaking ecstatic with netflix customer service.

now if they only made it so i could watch instantly on my mac, i’d be in couch potato heaven.

28. AT203 says:

The take-away lesson for companies here, is that if you establish a good customer rapport, then you build up social capital with your customers. If you then stumble, your customers won’t crucify you for it. If you treat your customers like an ATM (I’m looking at you Verizon), then they are happy and gleeful to see you stumble, and they will pile on.

29. cordeliapotter says:

I guess I’m worried that I’m just out a week of movies because I’m currently using my free month from the settlement, but I haven’t used my account in months, and don’t plan to use it after the free month is over, so I won’t have a billing statement they can credit…We’ll see.

30. RodAox says:

KUDOS NETFLIX, I JOINED Today….

31. corsec67 says:

Wow, my picture was used.

I love Netflix, and haven’t had any major issues since 2003.
    This outage hasn’t even affected me, since I haven’t watched any movies this week. Honestly, discs that get cracked in the mail are a bigger issue to me than a week of slow shipping.

This isn’t that big of a deal to me, since this is the first time that their entire shipping/receiving/email system has gone down.

32. Breach says:

A lot of companies could learn from Netflix, what awesome customer service! Despite the delays I have been more than happy with the service, it is nice to get a stream of movies and not drive to the video store anymore to get it and return it.

Stay classy netflix!

33. BlondeGrlz says:

I sent this tip in too. I got this email yesterday morning and thought “Wow what a great company, I wouldn’t even have noticed! I guess I’ll just watch them Friday instead of tonight.” But when I got home from work, the disks were in my mailbox. I can’t believe I held out for so long before getting Netflix.

34. synergy says:

@Bladefist: Maybe someone can disprove my theory: Have you logged in since Monday at least once? It just sounded like people who don’t log in are getting the emails. I haven’t received emails, but I’ve logged in at least once a day since Monday and have been seeing their giant warning message at the top of the page for the last 3 or so days.

35. nybiker says:

They are now shipping. Here’s their message:

Our Shipping Centers Are Mailing DVDs

Delayed DVD Shipments Are Being Sent Today (Friday)

Click here to learn more

We’re happy to report that all of our shipping centers are resuming normal operations (after 3 days of issues). If you should have been shipped a disc Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, it will ship today (Friday).

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. To all of you whose shipments have been delayed, we’ll be automatically applying a 15% credit to your next billing statement. Or, if you are new to Netflix and your first shipments have been delayed, we recognize that this is not a good way to begin your Netflix membership and we’ll automatically extend your free trial by a week.

Again, we apologize for the delay and thank you for your understanding.

36. synergy says:

@Kimaroo: Depending on how much of a hassle it would be and how many movies are on your queue, what you could do is create a new queue and then there wouldn’t be the issue you describe. My husband and I have two separate queues and he gets his movie when he returns his and same with me and my queue. It’s nice. Saves either of us ending up miffed. :)

37. loudguitars says:

Not everyone’s happy with them. If you go over to the comments on the posts about these issues at Hacking Netflix, you’ll see a lot of people practically foaming at the mouth from anger.

Frankly, I think they’re overreacting. I’m disappointed at the problems (and that I won’t have more DVDs with which to kill time this week), but really, I’m just going to wind up reading more.

I will say, I’m surprised their system got borked so badly that it’s taken them almost a week to fix it. I think some IT folks are going to be hung out to dry when all is said and done.

38. synergy says:

@cordeliapotter: The new message on the site when I logged in this morning says that if you’re in a free trial period, it will be extended.

39. Consumerist-Moderator-Roz says:

@RodAox: What’s with the random caps?

40. Jesse says:

Netflix has a better rental program than Blockbuster in my opinion in terms of movie selection and turnaround.

The only reason why I stay with Blockbuster Total Access is that I am getting a really good deal.

41. TomCruisesTesticles says:

Is it just me or did today’s Blockbuster post disappear?

42. Bladefist says:

@synergy: I logged in once since monday, but received no email. It cant be my spam box either, because I receive netflix emails all the time.

43. Angryrider says:

While I am against services like Netflix and Blockbuster, go library!, this is pretty interesting.
    And Netflix is just plain insane. They don’t need to notify anyone about delays. So what if the DVD comes a day later? Mild applause. Now where’s that “gift” they gave to their customers the last time? And why hasn’t Amazon done the same thing?

44. jgodsey says:

this is ridiculous….i have been experiencing intentional delays from this asshats for years.

if i return my disks to quickly they deliberately sit on my next rental for up to a weekend.

they do suck, but they are better than the alternatives.

45. PinkBox says:

@Bladefist: You’re getting a free month? All I’m getting is an upgrade to the next tier for a month. :/

I’m happy that they were honest also. I expected two movies to arrive today, and checked the site when they didn’t. I do hope they arrive by tomorrow though… I was looking forward to them!

At least I’ll get a $2.55 credit. (ha)

46. linedpaper says:

I love Netflix. I switched back after trying out Blockbuster about a year ago and have no plans of shucking Netflix. When there is an issue, they promptly resolve it and compensate without even being asked! Now that’s customer service!

47. Tawnie is Monster Mashing says:

This is why I’ll be a netflix customer as soon as the deal with xbox goes live.

48. HogwartsAlum says:

@corsec67:
    “Honestly, discs that get cracked in the mail are a bigger issue to me than a week of slow shipping.”

You can blame the post office for that. Our mail carrier at work said that happens when some numbnuts tries to “sort” it with the machine.

I LOVE Netflix. I joined several months ago and I haven’t regretted it. This issue didn’t really affect me, since I have had ‘Lawrence of Arabia’ for over a week. I have only had time to watch 1/2 of it because it’s really long. So the best part is the no late fee thing! :D

49. Gopher bond says:

I don’t watch movies or television, I only read tomes from the Middle ages written in the original Middle English.

50. Bladefist says:

@PinkBox: Yea. Free upgrade, and the whole month is free.

51. oneliketadow says:

Are they taking it seriously though?

52. TheDude06 says:

“netflix says shipping back to normal”

“”With possible rare exceptions we will get everything out today,” said spokesman Steve Swasey.”

the best quote though of course was this one:
    “We don’t have in our terms of agreement that if you miss a day you get a credit,” Swasey said. “We just do that voluntarily because it’s the right thing to do.”

[www.reuters.com]

53. brainswarm says:

I’ve only had an issue with cracked discs twice, but it was within a week of each other, and with the same television series. Both times, Netflix sent out a replacement the next business day. I find myself a little annoyed, since I sent back two movies on Monday and have nothing to watch this weekend, but at least I don’t feel taken advantage of.

54. geekfather says:

Netflix rules.

55. Brent says:

At first I was frustrated because honestly I expected this to be a typical failure that goes unacknowledged and me uncompensated. But Netflix got it right. They addressed the problem right away AND offered reasonable compensation. That’s how it should be done.

56. RandomHookup says:

@Bladefist: Me, too. I’m more than happy to take more free movies off Netflix’s hands.

57. Quilt says:

Wow. That’s impressive. I’d consider becoming a customer if I owned a television or dvd player or something.

58. shaman66 says:

How refreshing to see a company that actually does take customer service issues “Very Seriously” beyond the lip service that has become the norm.

59. Xerloq says:

I haven’t joined Netflix yet because of RedBox’s free Mon/Wed movies.

60. pulsar0510 says:

The way this sight seems to gush over Netflix I think someone owns some stock. Regardless I found them to be great …at first. Then I noticed things taking longer to ship and arrive. I had one at a time unlimited and they seem to not like you if you turn around a movie on the same day you recieve it. I am in MY and they shipped a movie from MD, when I called to inquire they couldnt have been nicer and they sent me the next in my que from the local distro center. I was very pleased, although they tried to upsell me another plan. Recently they were shipping a movie from CA (it was to happen the next day). WTF? I am right near one of the largest cities in the world and the closest place with the next in my que is 3000 miles away? When I called they “couldn’t do anything for me”. I escalated the issue to a supervisor who “couldn’t do anything” either. I was also informed that “some people had been giving away too much” so there policies had changed and their hands were tied, unless of course I decided to “upgrade my plan”. I cancelled my membership right there. As a coda: I got the movie I was complaing about them shipping from CA a week later (after I had cancelled the account). The day after I recieved it I got an email dated the previous day saying I would be charged $20 if I didn’t return it on that day.
    I think the comment that they are the best of a bad lot is probably correct.

61. varro says:

@linus: Yep, that’s the only problem I have with Netflix – I don’t watch it enough for it to be a bargain.

Why the hell should you watch network TV anymore, between paid services like Netflix and minimal-ad online resources like hulu.com and southparkstudios.com (*every* South Park episode online, nice and legal, with one commercial between acts), why should you watch a tv show with six commercials every seven minutes and product placement within shows?

62. varro says:

@brainswarm: Was that the final disc of Season 3 of Arrested Development?

I had two straight Neflix discs fail on me on that episode. Some prankster deserves a banger in the mouth for that.

63. Shannon says:

Ok, that’s way cool about Netflix, but on another note, WTF is up with the main page? It’s UGLY- go back to the original style… it looked better with the dude smokin’ the cig- or I think that’s what it was.

64. parad0x360 says:

Im still confused. My Queue shows some disks it says are shipping this past wednesday but I already received them but then the next 3 disks in my queue were deleted…

So are they really sending me the disks that appear to be deleted or are they resending disks they already sent and now I have to go back and add the other disks back on.

I know they were deleted because it goes like this…
    The Shield Season 4 Disk 3 & 4 (shipping wednesday)
    The Shield Season 5 Disk 1 (shipping wednesday)
    The Shield Season 5 Disk 4 (number 1 in my queue)

I am on the 3 disk plan, I currently only have 1 disk here now which is Season 5 Disk 1. I sent Season 4 disk 3&4 back to Netflix yesterday.

65. RandomHookup says:

@HogwartsAlum: You mean you didn’t get the Lawrence of Arabia version on 2 disks? Split up movies with Netflix used to drive me nuts.

66. trujunglist says:

I didn’t get an email.
    I went to their website and it says that DVDs are shipping today (Friday).
    I look at my queue and my DVDs are shipping next Wednesday. That’s not Friday. I don’t see any indication of a credit. I’m a little less than enthused about the customer service this time, what with everybody obviously getting the message and all that.

67. HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak says:

A straightforward apology gets kudos from accepting customers?

Wow, who’d a thunk it?

68. mczolton says:

Netflix rocks! How many other companies are willing to admit that they screwed up and then credit your account?

69. Alpine75 says:

I’ve gotten three cracked disks the past couple months. All of them had some type of glue over the crack. Clearly the Netflix employee’s aren’t checking the disks, as I doubt they would be so stupid to glue a DVD together.

That’s my only complaint with Netflix other then this week. I sent my disks in Monday, and as with everyone else, I’m still waiting.

70. lingum says:

Been very happy as well. VERY happy with the change to unlimited streaming also.

71. I’m pretty ticked off, actually. They are now saying my movies won’t be shipped until Monday. I don’t really call that “fixed” since they received my return movies on Tuesday.

72. jpdanzig says:

Netflix responded to this crisis in textbook fashion: you get the word out to customers, own up to the problem, apologize, and offer a make-good.

It’s a sad comment on these degraded, lying Bushist times that this kind of corporate response seems to have become the exception rather than the rule.

Way to go, Netflix!

73. PennStJeff says:

I didn’t see anyone else mention getting an email this week from Netflix related to the on-going class action lawsuit. The payout is one free month of service to anyone who joined the lawsuit and you can now claim your free month. My email arrived on the 13th, I signed up, and now they aren’t shipping DVDs. Coincidence that these issues pop up when they have to hand out all these free memberships? Probably…but seems a little shady.

74. goodkitty says:

Even though this outage is very aggravating, I keep saying to myself that they really do deserve a break. I mean, even though this is a serious snafu they’ve been so great in the past they deserve a little goodwill, though the 15% credit is not the same as the full week of service (or more) I’ll be without new discs due to this.

What has been worrying me about them is how less willing they have been lately about carrying various formats and fixing their online features. Also worrisome is how many titles keep getting bumped to the ‘saved’ queue (for me, at least), from which I know they will never return. It’s sad and scary to think that if Netflix ever failed or turned evil, there is nothing else to replace them, and nobody else who even cares to try (to provide excellent service).

75. jacksbrokenego says:

Never had a problem with netflix, and i think their service is top notch. I got an email notifying me about the class action suit, but chose not to take advantage of it because I thought the complaints were complete BS and I’m really happy with Netflix service.

I grow really tired of the ‘i deserve compensation for something that has zero real world impact on my life’ mentality. If people really are satisfied when companies put in the time to build a relationship with customers, then shouldn’t we consumers be more understanding when a company makes a mistake and then is proactive about owning up to it? If you think about it more in terms of a relationship, would you ask a friend for ‘compensation’ if he was late to meet you for lunch?

76. TomCruisesTesticles says:

Yeah, it’s a conspiracy. Just as the payouts from the lawsuit are being claimed they’re having problems. Now I’ll go put my tinfoil hat back on and retreat to my bomb shelter and work on my manifesto, brilliantly detailing the 9/11 conspiracy.

77. rlee says:

@testsicles: Well, you don’t know wht you’re missing by not reading Shakespeare in the original Klingon.

78. Dustbunny says:

@synergy:

I didn’t get any emails and I did log in a couple times since Monday.

I hope I get my discs tomorrow so I can have that “Deadwood” marathon I’ve been looking forward to.

79. Brontide says:

Great response that we should never have had to hear. 15% credit for a good week’s worth of outage, seems like they are getting skimpy.

I would be more understanding, but this is the second outage in recent memory for the same reason.

80. jamesshieh88 says:

kudos to netflix!

81. LAGirl says:

in the past, any time i’ve had a problem (which hasn’t happened often), i’ve called + had a very positive experience. their customer service is professional, friendly + helpful.

i love netflix.

82. VoxPopuli says:

I wish they hadn’t done this, because I got no e-mail and no credit, yet they were slow in logging my return. So, the DVD I mailed Wednesday, which they normally would get Thursday, was logged Friday. So now I have to wait until they ship it next week, on Monday. So, rather than getting a DVD Friday I have to wait until Tuesday.

I wouldn’t even care if I didn’t know that other people were getting apologies and credit. WTF Netflix?

83. VoxPopuli says:

@VoxPopuli: To be clear: The reason I wish they hadn’t done this is because giving credit to some and not others just pisses people off.

84. @TVGenius: Actually, they mentioned that their system for emailing folks to tell them the returned discs were received is down as well.

85. pulsar0510 says:

@jacksbrokenego: The thing is they’re not your friend. They are a business and you are paying them for a service and they should deliver it in a reasonable manner. They certainly aren’t going to let you slide out of delivering your payment in a timely manner. There most certainly is a “real world” impact on your wallet if you are paying for a service that is not being fulfilled.

86. Aladdyn says:

Whats funny is when i got my netflix email on my g-mail account, the paid ad heading was – why blockbuster is the better way to rent movies- or something like that, i took a screen cap but forgot to save it. Wish more companies would realize that its the way you handle mistakes that makes an impression on customers, not empty promises about how great they are.

87. SgtBeavis says:

I like Netflix so much that I’m going to buy an XBox 360 so I can starting downloading my movies from them.

88. VoxPopuli says:

Less than an hour after my rant about not getting a credit or an e-mail, I got an e-mail from them telling me I would get a 15% credit, so…nevermind.

Yes, they are a good company after all.

89. Mary says:

@VoxPopuli: Yeah, I hadn’t actually gotten any notice myself, but I mailed back a disc on Tuesday, if I remember right that was the day before the news broke. They probably only just got around to processing my return and realizing I was effected.

And really, I wouldn’t have had time to watch the next disc yet anyway, so I don’t mind much. But I did wonder why I hadn’t gotten an email or anything.

90. FixinTo says:

We’ve been Netflix customers and fans since 2002. This is the only company we do business with that has consistently exceeded expectations. Movies delivered with incredible speed, reasonable prices, and stellar customer service. (No, we don’t own stock, but I imagine it would be a good investment.)

91. BytheSea says:

I NEVER get these emails. I didnt’ know there was a problem until I went on the website to see why my queue wasn’t moving.

92. BytheSea says:

@synergy: Yeah, I logged in a few times this week, and didn’t get an email.

@Bladefist: These things are automated. You’re acting like there’s a conspiracy against you.

93. jinabnit says:

I have been with Netflix since they started. It used to take longer to get disc’s because they came from San Jose instead of closer to where I live. Since they have opened up more facilities it has been so quick. I am a very picky customer and nothing they have ever done has pi$$ed me off. I was even one of those one they purposely sat on new releases because I watched to many movies frequently. I think all you haters would hate companies no matter what they did because nothing pleases you. Netflix rocks.

94. Montaigne says:

Netflix member since 2003, stock owner since 2007. Never charged me for missing, damaged, or wrong DVD. Best company in the nation besides Geico in my opinion. I mean, previews, watch it now, dvds in 2 days, no late fees, no postage, ahhhh!!!!!!!! NETFLIX ROCKS!

95. 108Reliant says:

I have used Netflix ever since they started. Been very pleased with them and didn’t even notice the delay in shipment. My dad had a saying about stuff like this…”Leave well enough alone”.

96. eismcsquare2 says:

Netflix is the only company I have trusted so far. The only way to describe the experience is ‘beautiful’.

My only worry is when they stop being so nice. It’s matter of time when some asshat CEO takes over and screws up the best thing out there.

97. bossco says:

I have been pretty happy getting my movies through Netflix. I am glad they are offering me a discount for the two movies that have been delayed. Good job!

98. I was thinking this too. I hadn’t even noticed that there was a problem, though I had read about it, when I got their email about the credit. Being pro-active totally changes the perception of things. I can guarantee you that if they had never said anything, then someone found out it, there’d be a rant on this site about how they suck and the person couldn’t watch >insert film here< for 2 whole extra days, and then customer service didn’t even want to credit them till they sent an EECB.

Now everybody is happy, which is as it should be.

99. B says:

I noticed my movies were delayed, but I didn’t mind, I’ve been too busy watching the Olympics. Now I get couple bucks off my next bill, so win-win as far as I’m concerned.

100. digitalbrian says:

HAPPY??? are you kidding me, because of their screw up I am missing this weeks new releases and will most likely have to wait weeks for Prom Night the movie, that is NOT cool and they issue a 15% credit??? is that a joke, they should the very least issue a FREE month to all the touched members.

101. no.no.notorious says:

@linus: same here, but if I were to be apart of a movie community of some sort, i’d pick netflix…especially after this incident. kudos netflix!

102. ChelseaCosta says:

Now THAT is what I call customer service.

Taking personal responsiblity… I love you Netflix.

103. overbysara says:

I love netflix.

104. Brunette Bookworm says:

@TVGenius: Did you contact them? I’ve had discs come in that can’t play and they will replace them right away. Usually they are pretty good about helping if you let them know there’s a problem.

105. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

@synergy: Thanks! I figured that out after reading another page on Consumerist about Netflix. After that I immediately went and created another queue for my husband, then called him and told him about it and said he should move all of his movies to his queue. He did and now it should be a lot better, we are now enjoying Netflix more because it’s actually reccomending things more to our taste instead of some weird quasi-joint taste that neither of us liked very much at all.

106. HogwartsAlum says:

@RandomHookup:

Nope, it’s just one.
    I STILL haven’t watched the other half. I’ve been writing and too busy. I should have just bought the freaking thing.

107. timd1969 says:

Netflix rocks! Somehow I received a DVD on Thursday during the outage. Even if I hadn’t, I already had two other DVDs at home that I hadn’t watched. The best part is getting the 15% credit automatically. What other service issues credits without a twenty minute phone call or e-mail?

Despite the limited offerings, the Roku player is excellent too. The picture quality is better than my Comcast digital cable and there’s more quality content than I thought would be there.

108. blackmage439 says:

I maybe noticed a day’s worth of delay, but even that’s doubtful.

Netflix continues to be on my top 10 list of companies I respect, which is few and far-between. Now, if they could only figure out how separate discs from a box-set can become “unavailable”… GRRR!