Will Uno Chicago Grill Be The Next Restaurant Chain To File For Bankruptcy?

At the risk of inviting another pointless “this pizza is better than that pizza” debate in the comments, we feel it is necessary to inform you that Uno has run into some nasty looking debt problems and some people are speculating that they may be the next restaurant chain to go under.

Bloomberg is reporting that the chain “will have its credit ratings cut to “default” if it goes ahead with a plan to miss a bond payment due this week.” Uno Restaurant Holdings Corp, which is based in Boston (not Chicago, ahem), and whose restaurants are located predominantly in East Coast states like New York, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, said that they have 30 days before they default in which to figure something out.

“We are not in any imminent danger of filing for bankruptcy,” Uno Chief Financial Officer Louie Psallidas told the Wall Street Journal.

When asked about the recent string of chain restaurant failures, Mr. Psallidas replied: “Those other restaurants that filed, their concepts haven’t remained relevant. Ours has.”

The Wall Street Journal says that Uno Chicago Grill has “moved in recent years to a more expansive menu of grilled, fried and sautéed fare, including Angus beef steaks and Bolognese pasta, and drinks such as pomegranate margaritas.”

Oh well. Long live Lou Malnati’s.

Uno Restaurant Chain Talks With Lenders on Payment
[WSJ]

Uno Restaurant Faces `Default’ Grade on Missed Coupon (Update3) [Bloomberg]

Comments

1. femaleconsumerist says:

That helps explain some of their recent, “100% Satisfied or It’s Free, no matter what!” commercials. Obviously, they’re hurting for business.

2. snoop-blog says:

You know how many restaurants in Chicago have the word ‘Uno’, or ‘Duo’? It’s like they have no originality up there. You want to know why the reason your business is failing? It’s because you rode the curtails of the ‘uno’ name for far too long.

3. OmniZero says:

I usually go to the restaurant at Kenmore Square in Boston. It’s a good place and I dunno how they could be in debt. Maybe because people don’t go there because of the prices. Raspberry Iced Tea there is really good, by the way.

4. nursetim says:

So putting more expensive items on their menu at the same time people are cutting back on eating out isn’t working out for them. Color me shocked.

5. terminalboredom says:

And the next of the “dark green building” chain restaurants begins to fall…

Thinking back on the Bennigan’s bankrupcy, I just realized how many of these restaurants all have the same dark green/dark wood/crap on the walls decor.

6. Noooo.. I love Uno!

@femaleconsumerist:
    I haven’t even seen those ads, but it’s true. My friends and I got an entire $50 meal for free after a long wait and because my girlfriend didn’t enjoy her food.

7. Zerkaboid says:

I haven’t seen those commercials (from the first comment here) but that definitely does sound desperate. The UNO around me closed down about a year ago and the building was vacant for months before Dogfish Head took it over, a huge improvement is you ask me, and the place is always packed on weekends.

8. Juliekins says:

Uno’s was our favorite shitty sit-down “Applechilichicagogrizzlebees” chain place until the one in our city went out of business 2-3 years ago. Now it’s a 45 minute drive to the nearest one. It’s rare we’re in that area so we’ve only been once or twice. I wonder if this will affect their frozen food sales?

9. Jevia says:

With more middle income families tightening their wallet and not eating out as much, I’m not surprised more casual dining restaurants are starting to face bankruptcy, or are at least hurting significantly. My family went from eating out 1-2 times a week to maybe twice a month.

10. jaydez says:

I used to go to Uno all the time until I was at the one in Fairfield, CT and was having a nice dinner with my then GF. There were two employees sitting directly behind us, folding napkins, and one was talking REALLY LOUD about a rash he had on his hands and arms. We left before we ordered and I havent been back to one since.

I know it was an isolated incident but he should have at least gone in back to talk about his rash.. or better yet, when your food-touchy parts get a rash and you serve food… STAY HOME.

11. snoop-blog says:

You guys do realize that the ‘uno’ is a generic name, and almost all of the restaurants with the ‘uno’ name are not related to one another. I Chicagoan(or whatever they are called) would tell you that there is only 1 Uno’s pizzaria, and it is downtown around michigan st…. right around the corner is the pizzaria duo, sign looks the same and everything, not related to one another. And this grill, is not related to any of the above mentioned places. I watched a food network special about all the chicago pizza places one day. Useless trivia I know…

12. pmr12002 says:

@snoopblog
    You do realize that this is the chain restaurant Uno’s, so yeah the resturant’s are related to each other.

13. Meg Marco says:

@snoop-blog: It’s not a generic name. [en.wikipedia.org]

14. Orv says:

@jaydez: Yeah, no kidding. I think restaurants should be required to offer sick leave so employees don’t have an incentive to come in when they shouldn’t. As it is, a lot of people work sick because they can’t afford to lose income.

15. snoop-blog says:

…as the story goes, the original Pizzaria Uno, was so good, that others tried to mimmick their appearance, style, recipes, and the name itself. The orginal made a grave error by not copyrighting themselves. there are over 40 uno pizzaria’s (or something like that) in chicago, not one of them is owned, operated, or related to ‘pizzaria Uno’, which is the one that gets the plugs on t.v., and is supposed to be as the name suggests, Chicago’s first pizzaria.

16. airren says:

Not true – Pizzeria Uno and Pizzeria Due are the same. The owner’s created Due to take the overflow from the original Uno.

17. snoop-blog says:

@Meg Marco: Well I thought that’s what the whole special was about, separating the original from the others, but by any means if I’m wrong please just delete my comments on this post.

18. econ2econ says:

Uno and Due are related, but Uno is preferred. Uno (the orginal) is my favorite, Lou Malnati’s second. The chain itself should have just stuck with the pizza. Pizza will never go out of style, but chain crap-on-the-walls restaurants are no longer “cool”. It’s a better to build a niche and do it well than try to be everything to everybody. It’s not just that people are eating out less due to budget constraints, they also want to make it more special when they do. The chain restaurants are far from special when they all have the same 50 things on the menu covered in club sauce.

19. snoop-blog says:

@pmr12002: Of course all the ‘uno chicago grills’ are related to eachother, but I thought they were different than the actual ‘pizzaria uno’. I don’t know though, all I do know is that Chicago confuses the hell out of me, even with the restaurants apparently…

20. Hanke says:

So no more 3200 calorie single-serving pizza?

21. Meg Marco says:

@snoop-blog: The chain stores have a different menu and different pizza, but are part of the same company that owns the actual Uno and Due. Most chain store customers do not want to wait for decent pizza, so they changed it.

22. Legal_Eagle_In_Training says:

@airren: I see someone cleared that up before I had a chance to.

23. snoop-blog says:

Sorry folks, but hey at least now I know… You really do learn something new everyday. I usually don’t post comments on info I’m not sure of so I apologize again. It just wasn’t that long ago I had seen the special and I could have swore it said something about smaller pizza places jacking their name.

24. GMFish says:

The (relatively) new chain sucks, but there was an Uno restaurant near East Quad in Ann Arbor Michigan that had great pizza. I know it was just a part of the franchise, but back in the 80s it was awesome.

25. hwyengr says:

While the chain branches could close, I highly doubt that Uno’s or Due’s downtown could possibly shut down. They’re packed, constantly (Even if they are worse than Malnati’s. Boo-yeah!)

26. Elvisisdead says:

@Hanke: No lie. You’d think that they have a huge market in pregnant women and people with low fiber diets. If you eat a few pieces, you can bet that in the near term, that you will visit a bathroom. It’s the body’s reaction to eating 4-5x the daily recommended intake of calories in a single sitting.

27. NYGal81 says:

Man…we just got our Uno’s back too! Despite the moniker, I live in SW Ohio, and there was an Uno in the mall 2 miles from my house until about 4 years ago. They redeveloped the mall into a streetscape and closed down everything that was there previously. The old Uno’s space was turned into a seafood restaurant that tanked, and Uno’s came back. Their redesigned menu is a bit disappointing–if your thing is pizza, stick with pizza! It’s also disappointing that my last trip resulted in a bout of food poisoning, subsequent fainting due to illness and hitting my head on a wood armoire, and a trip to the ER for stitches in my right eyebrow. Wait…so why am I disappointed it may be headed for bankruptcy?

28. lannister80 says:

Ah, Lou Malnati’s. I’ve been eating there since I was a little kid. Their sausage pizza is almost completely covered by a pounded-thin “sheet” of sausage, so you get some in every bite.

Best pizza from Chicago, hands down.

29. sir_eccles says:

Giordarno’s doesn’t have Uno in its name.

30. Legal_Eagle_In_Training says:

@lannister80: I’m from Chicago and got married there last year. I wanted to have my rehearsal dinner at Lou Malnati’s but there wasn’t one near where the hotel was. So we went to Giordanno’s instead : ) My mother-in-law was kinda pissy about it because it was ‘just a pizza place,’ but she soon learned not to mess with my Chicago pizza and I got my way.

31. MadameX says:

I’d be sad to see Uno go. There’s only a couple of them left in Arizona and we have often commented on how empty they always are.

Sad. Love me some Uno’s!

32. SabyneWired says:

Aww, this makes me sad. There’s a few Uno’s here in San Diego that I used to love going to back when I had the time and money. Their pizza was great, their pastas were to die for, and the desserts were heaven on a plate. I hope they don’t go under; if they do, where will my fiance and I go for food like theirs?!

(Yes, I realize there’s a zillion pizza chains out there. But Uno’s always seems different somehow.)

33. midwestkel says:

I ate there a couple times when I lived in Ohio, its like Chili’s with pizza and thats about it. Food was so-so, so IMO they can go-go…

34. monkey33 says:

Ours closed a couple of years ago, which was actually really surprising considering the location next to the only movie theatre in town and a Holiday Inn.

35. charles61 says:

This reminds me of what happened to Boston Chicken after they changed their name to Boston Market. “We don’t just sell chicken! We sell lots of other things too! Let’s change our name to something stupid and generic and confusing! We won’t lose our name recognition! We won’t go bankrupt! Let’s do it!” Ten year later: Pizzeria Uno, Uno’s Chicago Grill, same story. Dunkin’ Donuts had better not lose the “Donuts” or it’ll happen to them too.

36. stre says:

fine, as long as the original place sticks around in chicago. i mean, it did invent deep dish pizza, after all, though i suppose good ol’ lou malnati might have a thing or two to say about who’s still serving the best deep dish.

@snoop-blog: what’s so confusing about chicago? we were even kind enough to rebuild the city in a grid so anyone can find their way around.

37. Sudonum says:

While the chain locations can’t compare to the original, it was at least nice to know that I could get SOMETHING close to Uno pizza somewhere other than Chicago.

38. snoop-blog says:

@stre: I’m a simple country bumpkin… all it takes is for me to walk out on a different side of the street than I walked in on and I’m screwed. Which really pisses me off because I’m known to all of my friends to be the last guy to get lost. (been on tons of car trips as the driver, never lost my way yet…

thank god I had my new sprint instinct with the navi last weekend when I went up there…. and by the way I couldn’t even afford to fart in most of the stores yall put downtown. I bought a pair of shoes from niketown, a shirt at old navy, and some clothes from sears (only the shoes were mine the rest were the gf’s). What’s sad is we have the same stores we shopped at (besides niketown) here.

39. SpdRacer says:

You all keep talking about Giordanos’ and Lou’s and the like, but have failed to mention the restaurant that has been consistently voted one of the top 2 in the Chitown area for the last twenty years, Arrenello’s! When I go back to Chicago I go there not to any of those others.

40. RandomHookup says:

Kinda like how Boston Market is based in Colorado.

41. I’ve always found it curious that Chicago-style deep-dish pizza hasn’t become more popular outside the Chicagoland area, with the obvious exception of the Uno nationwide chain. You can find NY-style pizza everywhere. Why aren’t there more mom-and-pop deep-dish pizza joints throughout the country? Give me a Gino’s East-type restaurant in San Diego, and you’ve got a customer for life.

42. MJPByron says:

Dun, dun, dun… dundundun dun dunun.

Keep ‘em closing down, keep ‘em failing. Bennigan’s, Uno’s… may Olive Garden an Applebee’s soon follow.

Who knows, maybe actual restaurants with real food will take their place.

Uno was terrible anyway, and Chicago pizza is nothing but a travesty.

Here’s hoping that they crumble like a ton of bricks and never come back, and may the good people find good jobs that don’t pollute our food landscape and sling crappy food.

43. bohemian says:

We ate at one once, it was nothing notable. Just another Applebees/Chili’s type chain but with pizza on the menu.

They all have the same menu and the same decor. They are also fairly expensive for what they are. We found that we can hit some of our local places and spend a fraction of the money for better food. Even the local swanky gourmet restaurants in town are in the $10 to $35 range for dinner. Maybe places like Uno are cheap compared to gourmet dining in a high cost of living large city.

There was something in the news about a huge percentage change in people cooking at home. I would guess this is the biggest factor in the bankruptcies.

44. TheSpatulaOfLove says:

@MJPByron:

You must be from NY and love greasy cardboard.

Uno is nothing special, but it was the only thing I could get that was relatively close to that hometown taste now that I live in MI.

Now, if Dick Portillo would branch out beyond Chicago and the onesie twosie restaurants he has where his other homes are, I’d be in heaven!

45. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

@stre:
    And the grid was such a great idea, Los Angeles stole the layout for the San Fernando Valley.
    LA even stole some of the names, Winnetka, Halsted, Kinzie.

46. We had an UNO in Fargo, ND until the owners dropped the franchise and went independent. I’m now thinking it was a smart move on their part.

47. Weirdsmobile says:

I was going to jokingly post “This pizza is better than that pizza,” but I see I’m too late….

48. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

@TheSpatulaOfLove:
    Portillo has branched out, he has restaurants in SoCal. Moreno Park & Buena Park.
    [www.portillos.com]

49. redqueenmeg says:

This would all be fine if I still lived in Chicago, but I don’t. I have nowhere but Uno’s to get my inside out pizza! ARGH.

50. Orv says:

@GMFish: In my opinion, when it comes to Ann Arbor pizza, there’s New York Pizza Depot, and then there’s everywhere else.

51. drjayphd says:

@jaydez: You actually got seated? For some reason, it would take us inordinately long to get a table at the one in Westfarms. Now they’ve been bulldozed to make room for P.F. Chang’s.

Of course, the only Uno’s left standing in CT, as far as I know, is in Manchester, but you’ve got basically every franchise that has ever existed there, so that doesn’t say much for Uno’s future… ;)

52. drjayphd says:

@drjayphd: Which reminds me, I think Pepe’s actually opened up across the street from where Uno’s is. Relatively authentic New Haven pizza or cut-and-paste Chicago style? I’m surprised Pepe’s hasn’t mopped the floor with Uno yet. :P

53. mferrari says:

It makes sense that they’re from the east coast. Their pizza never was that great. Though on the east coast it is probably good. We’re just spoiled here in Chicago with Lou Malnati’s, Gino’s, Giordano’s, Tortorice’s, I could go on for a while.
    They really need to think about franchising to other states, but I think it has something to do with Wisconsin cheese, because (I heard) their cows only eat corn, as opposed to other crap.
    Wow, got a little off topic there, I just love pizza.

54. youbastid says:

Nooooo! We don’t get ‘em in CA, at least in these parts of CA, and I love going to them when I go back east. It’s the one chain I miss. Their style of pizza isn’t for everyone, but it’s definitely for me, and it’s remained consistent throughout all the years and menu changes.

55. tedyc03 says:

I better go one last time before they go under…

56. MJPByron says:

@TheSpatulaOfLove: Negative, I am from New Jersey, where we like our pizza to be made of pizza, not toppings thrown onto sauce while the pizza man looks in the direction of cheese.

I mean, it’s not like I’m from the region where pizza originated from when a bunch of dudes from Italy opened up Lombardi’s in 1905… it was only, y’know, the first pizzeria in the United States. ;-)

I think I can settle the argument by stating that there are few, if any, restaurants in the United States that make pizza like in Italy, which is like eating crispy clouds of delicious.

57. TomCruisesTesticles says:

That’s too bad. Unlike Bennigan’s, this place was actually good. Crikey, why couldn’t it have been Applebee’s or something? Oh well, I’ll have to find a new pizza place to go to next time I’m in Boston.

58. humphrmi says:

@snoop-blog: The connections between Chicago pizzarias is astounding though. Lou Malnati managed Pizzaria Due while the Sewell family still owned it, so it’s about the closest you can get to the “original”. But just about every other Chicago-based pizzaria that sells pan stuffed pizza (sauce on top style) has a family member who was related to or worked for Sewell at one time.

59. flugelhorn says:

Uno’s hasn’t updated their image since the 80s. Really feels outdated in there– “old tymey” brass rails and wood panels everywhere. They’re gonna need a more modern look and feel to keep up with competitors. But would that defeat the whole “Uno’s” corporate image? Mustached hucksters in suspenders and straw hats are pretty vital to the whole concept, and it just woudn’t be the same without them. Regarless, the whole place seems to hinge on the success of the “Cheers” opening montage, something that almost nobody thinks is interesting anymore. Turn-of-the-century kitsch peaked in the 80s, I suppose, right around the same time the Uno’s chain took off.

60. cottiescot says:

MJPBryon:

Pizza is not meant to be folded up so the topping doesn’t slide off. But I digress…

Both UNO and Duo (Due) for the non-Chicagoan will not be affected by this bankruptcy. The UNO chain itself is uneatable and a lame imitation of good Chicago Za.. The have long since not been part of the Chicago Market.

This was only a matter of time.. I just hope its Apple’s next… After all, anyone that has Tyler Florence as shill should fail.

61. Can you please stop calling Chicago’s Uno sibling Duo? It’s Due! D.U.E. and a commenter was right, Due was established to take the overflow from the first Uno on State Street. Now, I know the franchise was in trouble when the close the one at the East Village in Manhattan a while ago. The service was almost too friendly for New York and didn’t attract the hipster crowd.

62. MeOhMy says:

Quick somebody start a restaurant that sells a prix fixe menu consisting solely of Uno’s Pizza Skins, Bennigan’s Monte Cristo, Houlihan’s Stuffed Mushrooms, Ruby Tuesday’s loaded baked potato, Hooters wings, Chili’s chips and salsa, Friday’s Oreo Madness and Miller Lite

It would be the ultimate “slum dining” destination.

63. describe_one says:

HA! That’s what they get for being another bootleg wannabe pizzaria uno.

64. tasselhoff76 says:

@snoop-blog: Actually Pizzeria Due and Pizzeria Uno are related to one another.

65. tasselhoff76 says:

Clearly, many other people already pointed out the obvious. What I cannot understand from this article is whether or not this would affect the original stores in downtown Chicago, where the pizza actually tastes good or if it’s just the franchises.

66. MFfan310 says:

The two Uno locations here in Fort Wayne quietly closed in November of last year, shortly after the mayoral election, for mysteriously unknown reasons.

Unfortunately, as a displaced Chicagoan, I still can’t find a good Chicago-style pizza around here to replace Uno’s. Time to let my fingers do the walking…

67. @MJPByron: Olive Garden for one isn’t going anywhere. Darden continues to expand and maintain huge profits. It’s these more “casual” chains having problems.

I realize that The Olive Garden is crap, but both it and Red Lobster (the sister store) are doing as well as always, thanks to higher prices that bring in a crowd much better off financiall

68. pgh9fan says:

FYI…The Uno in Deep Creek, Maryland has Catholic Mass on Sunday mornings in the summer.

I’d like Eucharist with a side of fries, please.

69. drjayphd says:

@Troy F.: Don’t forget Romano’s Macaroni’s (geez, that makes Ruth’s Cris sound normal) design-your-own pasta. :P

70. Eldritch says:

@sir_eccles: BEST PIZZA IN ALL OF FREAKIN’ CHICAGO!!!!

71. Adam W says:

@MFfan310: I was just about to comment on our uno’s franchise closing in fort wayne but i thought i’d do a quick ctrl+f search and see if anybody else already did.

what i had heard through the grapevine was that the owners just shut down in the middle of the evening one day apparently because they decided they were bored of the restaurant business or something.

72. dj_skilz says:

I am a native Chicagoan and have yet to try Malnati’s, but the northsiders (and nw burbs) seem to like it. One day I will get to sample their pie.

IMO Gino’s East is Chicago’s best Deep Dish, and Giordano’s is the best stuffed pizza in Chicago. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!

No one ever mentions our thin crust but, For the thin crust crowd, my first pick would be Aurelio’s, followed by Reggio’s. Beggar’s is an honorable mention.

If you decided to try Aurelio’s make the trip to the Original Homewood Location, the restaurant is setup like several Italian Villas under one roof. A short trip on the Metra Electric from the city to Homewood will get you there, or if you want quick access there is a location in the South Loop now.

73. Kevino says:

Meh, the place had ok food and poor service the one time I went so it’s not surprising. I’m in central California so maybe it’s the angry high school girl who served me. It was packed with people waiting outside the first month it was open, now, not so much.

74. cccdude says:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM….Uno’s Pepperoni pizza and Pomegranite Margarita’s…

75. fhic says:

@Weirdsmobile: The best pizza comes from *MY* kitchen. It’s supplied with homemade beer (a San Diego County Fair prize winner!) as well.

But if you’re stuck in Chicago instead of San Diego, it doesn’t take much work to find good pizza. :-)

76. gotroot801 says:

Oh no! If Uno’s closes then I’ll only have Friday’s, Chili’s, Macaroni Grill, Bertucci’s, Houston’s, Applebee’s, and Ruby Tuesdays to get my fix of mid-priced food and ridiculously huge beers!

77. ARP says:

@MJPByron: “..and Chicago pizza is nothing but a travesty”

Sir, I bid you good day.

There is a difference between deep dish and stuffed. Deep dish is a regular pizza with a thicker crust and heavy toppings. Stuffed pizza is the one that looks inside out. Mmmmm…inside out pizza.

Oh and all you Chicago expats, you can order Chicago food for UPS delivery. Eli’s, Manny’s Deli, Portillo’s, etc.

[www.tastesofchicago.com]

78. NYGal81 says:

@AtomicPlayboy: I’m not sure it’s really true that you can get NY style anywhere. You can certainly get thin crust, wedge cut, big pieces of pizza, but I have yet to find a NY Style joint in SW Ohio that lives up to the reputation. We do, however, have a good “stuffed pizza” place, which is kind of, sort of, relatively close to Chicago-style.

79. mabus says:

rock on consumerist! nothing beats a lou malnati’s deep dish ‘za.

my favorite lou’s is the one in downtown naperville in which the building used to be the old fire department. its a stones throw from the riverwalk and the downtown cultural district.

and i’m not sure, but i think they use no less than 74 sticks of butter as the main ingredient for their delightful crust on that deep dish.

80. Anonymous says:

They opened an UNO near us a few years ago. It didn’t last long, and closed up. We went twice and it wasn’t anything special. I thought the pizza was ok – overated at best.

For deep-dish Pizza near Detroit, we always go to Pizza Papalis in Dearborn. I’ve had Giordano’s several times in Chicago, and Pizza Papalis is pretty close to the same stuff.

81. I think rogues are OP due to the many forms of crowd control they have. Blind, gouge, cheep shot, kidney shot. Also vanish and cloak of skill are crazy talents. Lets not even mention cheat death or shadow step. Damn those rogues….and damn thos resto droods.

82. Elijah-M says:

My only complaint about Unos is that almost everything on their menu BUT the deep dish pizza is horrible. There are a few non-pizza items that are good – salads, soups, and a few things on the appetizer menu – but the quality of those items is inconsistent (many of these items are prepared to order by the servers rather than the kitchen staff, so quality control is a lot more likely to be compromised). Adding “angus beef steaks and bolognese pasta” is nothing more than a huge bucket of fail if these items aren’t actually good.

I was a server at the Boston Kenmore Square location for three years, and while my experiences working there were generally positive, I attribute much of that to the fact that I consistently steered my customers away from about two thirds of the menu.

As many here have stated, Uno’s menu is basically Bennigan’s plus Pizza. By duplicating Bennigan’s menu (and their lack of quality control), they reduce the likelihood that their customers will order something they are actually good at making. They also thin their concept to the point that it might as well not even exist.

I would imagine the reason a lot of these restaurant chains are going under is that lacking a truly unique concept, they compete on price, and this forces them to stretch their margins a lot farther than they should. Thus any incidental event that thins their customer base instantly puts them in the red.

83. Elijah-M says:
  84. Anonymous says:

I stopped going to UNO years ago because their service was always poor.

85. Anonymous says:

just another heat and eat sysco special going out of business. Nothing to see here, unless you need further indication to unload any/all national food provider stock from your portfolio.

86. hankrearden says:

Perhaps if all of these chains weren’t so hopelessly homogeneous…

What makes UNO’s different than Applebee’s or Olive Garden? Not much, really. You can get, gee, lemme think, a Ceasar salad and boneless wings or pizza. ALL FRESHLY MICROWAVED and brought to your table.

What? Mmmm. Yup, classic Fast Food America at it’s best.

How ’bout this, franchise foodies:
    1) Make a distinct menu.
    2) Actually COOK the food. Why do I want microwaved junk?

87. battra92 says:

Isn’t Uno the place with 1000 calorie entres?

No reason for me to go there. :)

88. Brazell says:

Uno pizza will kill you in about a day. It tastes pretty good when you want something different, but Jesus that shit is unhealthy. Couple that with the Chili’s cheese fries or the awesome blossom … instagib.

And yeah, all of these restaurants are entirely the same. THey have a _tiny_ niche and then try to work that to make them seem original. Chili’s has the slight southwestern niche although there is very little that is actually southwestern; Uno has the slight pizza niche though their pizza is only good if you don’t want pizza; Outback has the slight steak niche, but their steaks aren’t nearly as good as any real steakhouse… Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, TGI Fridays… are all exactly the same and they’re aweful. I’m so tired of shitty nicknacks. In the North East we also have “the 99 Pub” and “Picadilly Pub,” which the Pic is gross, the 99 is not much better, but the 99 has a really good and unhealthy buffalo chicken sandwich … so it’s permissible.