Here’s a “fun” summer project: make your own homemade Oreo cookies! Will you save money? Who can say! Will they be healthier? Probably not! Will your friends think you have too much time on your hands? Yes, but they’ll appreciate the free baked goods. [Post Tribune]

Comments

1. timmus says:

I wonder how many people are contemplating cutting to the chase and just making a pound of that white filling.

2. maneki neko says:

What’s with the scare quotes around fun? If you like to bake I bet this really would be a lot of fun. They’ll probably taste better than store-bought Oreos too.

3. josephbloseph says:

@timmus: I’m actually more interested in the cookie part, as I use them for milkshakes.

4. loserflame says:

It’ll go perfect with my homemade Coke.

5. Eels says:

The King Artuhur Flour Cookie Companion, the cookbook that these cookies came out of, is amazing. There is also a recipe in it for “south seas” cookies, a homemade version of the Girl Scout Samoas cookies.

6. goodywitch says:

This post reminded me of this website:

[www.topsecretrecipes.com]

They also have oreos :-)

7. RevRagnarok says:

@timmus: Hells yeah! ;)I haven’t looked, but I am guessing confectionary sugar, Crisco, and granulated sugar…

8. Snakeophelia says:

Here’s a tip to make it even more fun – make homemade Oreos (which I’ve done before), but make the filling mint-flavored, and add way too much green food coloring. When I brought these cookies into the office, it was apparent by mid-afternoon who had abstained and who had indulged (not least because some of the indulgers were going around grossing everyone out by sticking out their bright-green tongues).

9. @RevRagnarok: Apparently the filling is a simple buttercream frosting with gelatin added to make it thicker. Now you know.

10. TWSS says:

This is a much better recipe for homemade oreos:

[smittenkitchen.com]

11. BytheSea says:

Would be fun to make with kids.

12. ludwigk says:

@Chris Walters: I’ve made plenty of butter cream frosting and Oreo stuff. They are not the same thing. Stuff is just vegetable shortening and powdered sugar with a bit of vanilla flavoring.

13. @ludwigk: Is it wrong that when I read your description of Stuff my mouth watered? *sigh*

14. Blue387 says:

On a related note, has anyone spotted any Hydrox cookies around?