Throwing A Monitor Through A Glass Door Is Not The Best Way To Complain About Iron Man

If something goes wrong with the projection while you’re watching Iron Man, (or any other movie, actually) and the ticket agent will not give you a refund, do not grab the monitor and throw it through a glass door.

According to the Jackson Hole Star-Tribune, a 55 year-old man was arrested for suspicion of property damage and disturbing the peace after he became enraged and threw a monitor through a glass door and into the mall food court.

“Officers responded to the theater just after 7 p.m. and found Vaughn sweating profusely near the shoe department at JC Penney,” says the paper.

The man had apparently requested a refund and when the theater employees offered him a “voucher.” He then started yelling at employees and other customers that he was being ripped off.

A customer says that the man shouted that he was going to get his money’s worth before grabbing the monitor and hurling it into the food court.

The officer who arrested the man says that he told him that “he had done the right thing in the war against injustice in the world.”

Well, no.

Man fights movie theater ‘injustice,’, lands in jail
[Star-Tribune] (Thanks, A.!)
(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. mike says:

Wow…I mean, how do you respond to that? What were the vouchers for? If it was for food, it was a rip-off.

If it was tickets to a future show, it might not have been a bad deal.

2. I’m wondering if we’re getting the whole story. As much the guy’s reaction was overblown, if he asked for his money back, why not give it to him instead of a raincheck? When my last moviegoing experience was interrupted by a fire alarm, the theatre offered us a re-admit to another show or a refund.

The dude was crazy to start throwing equipment, but I’m not a fan of when a business screws up and then assumes a customer wants a free voucher to come back to another potential screw up.

3. jaydez says:

it was probably for 10% off you next ticket purchase of $50 or more*

*No applicable to first two weeks of a new movie, any comic book based movie, any movie staring an A-list celebrity, any movie made by Pixar, Disney, or Sony. Excludes all movies shot in color.

4. TomCruisesTesticles says:

What I want to know is-what plane of reality does this guy exist on, and how many other customers were there really? I saw Iron Man in May. That’s what you get for seeing a movie 3 months after it comes out. Should’ve seen TDK or Pineapple Express

5. jaydez says:

Oh, and I had that happen to me during the last Star Wars movie. It died and 20 min later they came in and told us we can either get a refund or go to the next screen over where the movie was 45 min behind ours. I went to the next one over and sat down at the exact point the screen went dead… score…

6. corporatedrone says:

This guy was on my local radio morning show this morning. He said he looked around, made sure no one was in the way, then threw the monitor out the window. At least he was careful! He also went on a rant about how the police and court systems have made everyone afraid to stand up against injustice (like the movie theater) and that he’s had other “incedents” like these. Then he sang a song he wrote about how America sucks and he wishes he could leave and get ready to “bend over for the red white and blue.” Interesting guy.

7. Hate_Brian_Club_I'mNotOnlyThePresidentI'mAClient says:

As overdone and ridiculous as this sort of thing is I can’t help but envy the people crazy enough to do it.

8. Here are my recent movie theater experiences:

1) Watched “Iron Man” totally out of focus the whole time.
    2) Watched “Breach”, and something went wrong with the masking, so as the image drooped down the screen, we could see the boom mikes, lights, etc. from the filming. At the end, the black space between the frames was in the center of the screen. Fun.
    3) Audio cut out and popped during one of the few key dialogue sequences in “The Kingdom”
    4) Unticketed people sneaked in with 30 minutes remaining in “Cloverfield”, and laughed at all the action on screen.

All this makes me glad I have a nice surround sound system and Blu-ray player, and makes me wonder why I continue to buy $8.00 movie tickets.

9. @corporatedrone:

Welcome to the Terror Watch List, Mr. Monitor-Thrower.

10. illtron says:

@linus: Food vouchers from a movie theater? I doubt it. They make their money from concession sales. If you’ve paid for a movie once, there’s no real financial loss to let you in again, but those Goobers have to be paid for.

Every time there’s been a problem with the projection or audio at a movie I’ve been to, I just had to politely ask the manager for a voucher, and I’ve gotten one. I’ve actually been to movies where things went particularly bad, so they had somebody with a book of them handing one out to everybody who asked.

11. HogwartsAlum says:

@InfiniTrent:
    “5) Guy text-messaged on his 17″, max-brighness Blackberry screen during “Dark Knight”, glaring in my face.”

If anyone does that during my (third) viewing this weekend, I might go all Joker on his ass.

*sigh* remember the days when the theater employees would kick people like that out?

12. zigziggityzoo says:

@HogwartsAlum: Do the Disappearing Pencil trick!

13. startertan says:

@HogwartsAlum: yeah I do, I also remember the days when you could say something to someone without getting stabbed.

When my gf and I went to see Transformers I almost got into a fight with these two kids. During the scene where the gunship is lighting up the decepticon in the desert you could hear these two punks behind me OVER the movie. Also, it’s not like they were saying anything insightful, here it is word for word:

“Oh snap he be transformin'”
    “Dat be Optimus Prime”

With no racial biases or implications that is what was said word for word. I asked them to be quiet and was told to “relax” and “chill out” when these guys were louder than the Dolby Digital Surround Sound. Finally at the scene where Jazz dies they were still talking, I screamed at the top of my lungs “you two need to talk louder so everyone can hear!” (yes I see the irony in my actions). At which point these two thugs told me to “STFU”. But they were quiet after that.

I hate theaters now. I am going to see Wanted tonight. 6 weeks after the release is a pretty safe time frame for me to actually be able to enjoy the movie.

14. How did this guy get a monitor loose? If I want to detach my monitor at home, it’s a involved process of unscrewing connections. Anyone have insight on this? If he took the time to disconnect/unscrew all the connections, he should have had time to calm down.

15. A.W.E.S.O.M.-O says:

That is no way to complain about Iron Man.

It is, however, an appropriate way to complain about The Happening or the X-Files movie.

16. TomCruisesTesticles says:

@InfiniTrent: This happened at Pineapple Express. I don’t know how to deal with it. They’re not talking per se, but the brightness is annoying. And an usher’ll never do anything about it, so…street justice!

17. TCameron says:

I am Ironman dun-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-nah!

18. TomCruisesTesticles says:

You can shoot someone for texting in front of you right? Peripheral distraction

19. MaytagRepairman says:

The last movie I went to that had a problem with the projection nobody in the theatre could find a manager to get any kind of compensation. The entire place was run by teenagers.

20. JollyJumjuck says:

And the MPAA blames piracy whenever ticket sales are less than expected. Not idiot theater-goers or perpetually malfunctioning equipment. Go figure.

That said, I saw the first 20 minutes of “Sleepy Hollow” (last showing of the night) in the theater before the projector cut out. Not only were we given a cash refund, but we also received a voucher good for a movie anytime (or two vouchers if we didn’t want to stand in line getting our tickets processed for the cash refund).

21. @InfiniTrent: Stop complaining about $8 movie tickets! They’re $10.50 in the SF Bay Area! :(

I agree, it’s a ripoff though. Have you tried Costco? Around here Costco has 2-packs of ticket-vouchers for whatever the prominent theater chain locally is, for $15. There are no restrictions on their use.

I would assume that yours would be about $11-12ish bucks for the 2-packs if they do this near you. It’s definitely drastically cut our movie budget.

22. Nelsormensch says:

It’s the Casper Star Tribune, but the post says Jackson Hole. Being born and raised in Jackson (and working at it’s movie theatres for three years) and last time I was there, the theatres didn’t have cash registers with monitors (seriously).

23. vivelafat says:

@Hate_Brian_Club: I am totally with you. Can you imagine the look on the cashier’s face when the guy took the monitor and threw it? Just once I would like to do it in BB or Fry’s.

Receipt Checker: May I see you receipt?

Me: No, but you can see the podium crash through your front door.

Of course I would probably get tased.

24. vivelafat says:

@MaytagRepairman: Like Lord of the Flies. They probably had a swine head on a stick in the back of the concession stand.

25. Youthier says:

@startertan: @HogwartsAlum: See, I’m lucky enough that my theater employs teenage ushers to clean and take tickets and big, capable security guys to secure. Some creepy, most likely unticketed guy lurking in a theater filled with young women during halfway through Enchanted was quickly shown the door after I reported his presence.

When I saw Hancock and this jerk began a phone conversation, it only took the time of a patron to walk to the lobby and find security to get this guy to shut up.

My theater may be a crazy, overpriced monolpoly that drove the rest out of town but at least they run a good operation.

26. meneye says:

I’m thinking the vouchers were for them JC Penney shoes. I would be extremely angry about that too.

27. Monitor aside, just complaining about Iron Man made him a jerk. Who doesn’t like Iron Man?

28. The_IT_Crone says:

When the sound went out for 10 minutes during the second MATRIX movie, they didn’t even want to give us vouchers. When we argued we got vouchers, but we don’t even live in that part of the state so they never got used. They refused to give us a refund.

(Yes, we came out DURING the problem, not at the end of the movie. We were more than willing to leave).

I don’t go to theaters much anymore, I vastly prefer just buying the DVD’s now.

29. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@urban bohemian: It makes sense if the screw-up was something even the customer knows doesn’t normally happen but I never understood coupons for things like a restaurant serving awful or tainted food.

I wouldn’t have expected a projector malfunction to happen again and just taken the voucher but I agree that if he insisted on a refund they should have just given it to him.

30. Shutaro says:

@InfiniTrent: Clearly not his first rodeo.

31. @HogwartsAlum:

Remember the days when there was more than one theater employee?

32. @Git Em SteveDave displays attention-grabbing vanity:

Having to painfully contort his hands to unscrew those VGA connections was probably just drove him into a greater rage!

33. @TomCruisesTesticles:

Maybe just lean over their shoulder and read the screen, and suggest how to respond?

Or go “Hey, hey man…hey…you just wrote out ‘l-a-t-e-r’, but you could have just writeen ‘l-number 8-r’ Srsly.”

34. corporatedrone says:

@InfiniTrent: He said he ripped it off in one big motion. One would think you’d need to be Superman? Also, added info – he said all the theaters in his town were owned by the same guy, and he had tried to see Ironman a week or two before, and the SAME THING happened then, and he got a voucher. This theater was different than the first and had the same issue. I’d be pretty pissed too I guess… Although I’d probably just throw some popcorn around.

35. @West Coast Secessionist:

Stop complaining about $8 movie tickets! They’re $10.50 in the SF Bay Area! :(

Stop talking about Costco! There aren’t any in the Lexington, KY area!

You darn left-coasters, and your Costco discounts.

36. @TomCruisesTesticles:

You can shoot someone for texting in front of you right?

Not a jury in the world would convict you.

37. Ubik2501 says:

@jaydez: Just remember not to take out your frustration on the ushers when this sort of thing happens. When Episode I came out and one the projectors kept breaking down, I got the lucky job of telling people, “The movie should start again in five to ten minutes – if not, you may see the manager for a refund or a return ticket” (I forget exactly what the deal was, but some kind of compensation was involved). People were berating me left and right and a few people were throwing popcorn at me, which is completely unnecessary.

If you have a bad experience, just remember that not every single employee of a place is responsible for it, and that it’s incredibly disrespectful to take out your frustrations on somebody who had nothing to do with it.

38. AgentTuttle says:

In his defense, depending on how far he got into the movie, this reaction would be totally expected. If it were Mama Mia, he would have broken into song.

That’s why I go to the Arclight, they actually give a shit about the quality of the experience, sound, focus, projection, etc.

39. @Ubik2501: Imagine what they’d have acted like if it was a GOOD movie…

40. Quilt says:

@Ubik2501:

That’s why you ask for the manager and REFUSE to back down. You will always get your money back no matter what their policy is.

Also, throwing popcorn at an usher while in a theatre? Not only is it necessary, it’s a responsibility!

41. sylviasma says:

Gee last time my movie didn’t they gave me 2 vouchers to see any movie at any time (I was seeing a matinee) I don’t see what he has to complain about, he prob could have seen the next time slot if he wanted to

42. sponica says:

@InfiniTrent: Did you report any of these incidents? I used to work at a movie theater, and honestly while we’re supposed to do theater checks, these days there isn’t enough payroll for us to man the box, concessions, and still pay for enough ushers. We really don’t know that something’s wrong unless you tell us. Most of the time, if someone complains after the movie, they’ll get a pass (with no restrictions) that they can use whenever they wish.

You’re lucky to be paying only 8 bucks….

43. Imaginary_Friend says:

This guy and the Comcast granny need to hook up.

44. Parapraxis says:

@InfiniTrent:

they’d throw a ticker tape parade too.

45. @sponica:

You’re lucky to be paying only 8 bucks….

I’m usually good about complaining appropriately when I have a problem like that. For some reason, though, I don’t usually gripe at movie theaters. I think it’s that I don’t know who to talk to, since the few employees who are around are always busy, and there’s never a manager visible.

I know those problems didn’t happen on purpose, and unfortunately going to report them means missing part of the movie. In the opening parts of Iron Man, for example, I squinted and got on with it, because no way was I missing that. With “Breach”, somebody reported the problem several times, it was fixed several times, and kept going bad. In “The Kingdom”, I should have mentioned the problem since it was such a key moment where the audio went out, but for some reason I didn’t mention it (I was in a hurry that day, I think).

As for ratting on others in the theater, I wasn’t about to leave “Cloverfield”, and the kid in “Dark Knight” finally stowed the Blackberry after two or three messages.

46. perruptor says:

Ubik, you should be grateful they weren’t throwing monitors.

47. sponica says:

@InfiniTrent: You don’t need a manager to tackle the image quality problems, usually you just need to find someone with a walkie-talkie to holler up to the projectionist(s). We had one at the concession stand. The only time you need a manager is when there’s a problem with another customer, as they are the only ones allowed to mediate problems.

48. P_Smith says:

I’ve had people say I go overboard because I ask for my money back when theatres lie about the starting time of the flick. I pay to see a movie, not advertising.

I’ll have to start carrying this around to ask them, “How about now?”

49. HogwartsAlum says:

@zigziggityzoo:

Ah ha ha ha ha!!! :D

WHAM!!!

50. HogwartsAlum says:

@startertan:

Idiots.

I think it’s hilarious that you screamed that at them though!

51. HogwartsAlum says:

@Youthier:

Where do you live? I will drive all the way there to watch a movie! Gas prices be damned!

52. HogwartsAlum says:

@InfiniTrent:

Remember when the screen was bigger than the size of my TV at home?

53. sponica says:

@P_Smith: Most theaters I go to state in the listings that the starting time does not reflect the starting time of the movie. I for one like the trailers and promos, because when I’m running late I know I have a 10-12 minute buffer.

54. @sponica: Thanks for the info.

55. newgalactic says:

“…do not grab the monitor and throw it through a glass door…

I’m calling “BS”. Monitor throwing usually gets me what I want, and pretty-dang-quick.

56. @HogwartsAlum:

Remember when the screen was bigger than the size of my TV at home?

Did your screen grow, or did theirs shrink? Hopefully the former. :)

@sponica:

I love the trailers about as much as the movie. Sometimes I love them more than the movie. It’s ironic – I go to movies to see which movies are coming out…then I go to those movies to watch their previews for more movies…

57. P_Smith says:

@sponica: That may be fine for you and how you use your time. I also arrive early, but I would rather walk around for the last few minutes before it starts knowing that I’ll be sitting for the next two hours in uncomfortable seats. I need to know when the movie starts to do that, and the employees won’t tell me.

What I also don’t want is to sit through not just 20 minutes of junk, but at 100 decibels and louder than most movies, it makes my ears ring.

58. scamps says:

@corporatedrone: Sounds like he’d fit in with Fred Phelps’ gang.

59. Rctdaemon says:

For the record, Consumerist, the Star Tribune is a Wyoming-wide paper. This happened in Casper, Wyoming; amusingly enough, I used to work for these theaters. Even more amusingly, this specific theater is a second-run “cheap seat” house.

As for everyone that is bitching about how theaters don’t give refunds, there’s a whole big reasoning for why they can’t do that: most of the ticket price ends up as royalties to the movie studios for allowing them to exhibit their films. Since they cannot void tickets once they are sold, they are required to pay royalties on each ticket. If a refund was given, that royalty would have to be paid out of the company’s pocket.

60. Televiper says:

I go to the theatre about once a year. I don’t really want a voucher, I’m not particularly planning on making a return.

61. katoninetales says:

@InfiniTrent: it’s for the social experience more than the actual movies, and so you don’t spend 6-9 months with your hands on your ears every time someone mentions the movie you’re waiting for on DVD.

62. sponica says:

@P_Smith: At the theater I worked at, it was either 12 minutes or 14 minutes (I can’t remember). A strategy I’ve discovered is to check on a website to see how long the feature runs, then subtract that amount of time from the running time the theater tells you. Usually theaters have the running time which includes the trailers, although sometimes they can be off, especially when the computer has added the requisite 12 minutes but old trailers have been pulled and new ones haven’t been added. Sure it’s more work on your part…also there are some theater chains, usually smaller, more independent ones, who only run the trailers that come with the feature, and do not build them onto the film. You may not be paying for advertising, but most companies view trailers as another form of marketing…
    The theater really has no control over how loud the trailers are, or what the image quality is like. Since they are more often than not built onto the feature (or at least they were at the theater I worked at).

@InfiniTrent: I love promos as well, there have been times I’ve almost bought tickets to a movie I had no interest in seeing because it had the first teaser or trailer to a movie I wanted to see.

63. failurate says:

@jaydez: So he has to wait for the sequel to Schindler’s List? Bummer.

64. crazydavythe1st says:

obviously, this is the theater’s fault for using CRT monitors instead of LCD monitors.

65. WasabiJoe says:

@P_Smith:

When do you ask for the refund? After the movie has ended?

I don’t think I’ve been to a theater that doesn’t show 20 minutes of trailers/previews. It’s pretty annoying since I usually show up 30 or so minutes early and have to wait an hour before the movie actually starts.

As a side note, I love the AMC early bird special. Friday-Sunday for their 10 am and 11 am showings tickets are only $6. Went to see Dark Knight on opening weekend for that price, so crazy.

66. pulsar0510 says:

Almost shocked that there are people actually defending the theater in not giving refunds. Of course this guy over reacted; that doesn’t mean his position was incorrect.
    If I carve the time out of my schedule to go see a film I expect it to be shown in it’s entirety without any glitches. The fact that I paid for their “service” means that part of my fee should ensure that the projetor and film are both capable of being viewed. The arguement brought up how the theater would have to pay a refund “out of it’s own pocket” as somehow a bad thing strikes me as the worst kind of sheep herd corporate mentality. The theaters fiscal arrangement has NOTHING to do with their agreement to me to see a movie.
    When glitches occur during a screening that prevent me from enjoying my movie I expect a refund AND a voucher for another show. They are taking my money, but more importantly (and this is what differs from a purchase of a physical product) they are taking my TIME. Time is something you can never get back regardless how hard you try. They have already ruined one evening through poor staff training, shoddy equipement or whatever the hitch was, so a refund is certainly in order. Want me to come back? That’s what the voucher is for. The few times I have been in the same situation I have gotten just that: a refund and a voucher for each ticket purchased.

67. zithero says:

whenever a place hands you a voucher, you’re talking to a CSR (Customer Sales Rep), just ask for the manager, and he can authorize a full refund. the idea behind this tactic is that the CSR gives your a Voucher… there’s an excellent chance you’ll be satisfied with that and be on your way, thus saving the manager time. If the customer doesn’t want the voucher, okay, then get the manager, and he can give you your cash back.

I had this situation where I bought tickets online, and got to the theater to meet someone (Date of sorts e.e) – I sadly got stood up, but the manager at the customer service desk of the theater was more than understanding, and after apologizing for my situation, gave me back my money sans fandango fees (I understood this because it was 2 dollars and I didn’t really care.) – besides I ended up calling up a buddy and heading to another theater to see the same movie, so all worked out.

however… the customer in this situation is immediately in the wrong for defacing the theater’s property… which is defiantly worth more than a theater ticket – I wouldn’t be surprised if the theater sued him for the repair costs… those glass doors are pricey!

68. lefonceobscure says:

I had a similiar experience watching 300 with my wife at AMC theaters. There was no bass, and after I complained about six times to a pimply-faced teenage usher, some one came inside and started shining a flashlight, apparently to see if the bass was hiding between the front rows. He then started yelling loudly into his radio, and after a few minutes, the bass magically appeared. Of course, the top of the picture was now at the bottom of the screen, and the bottom, at the top. We were then told that due to technical difficulties, they had to cancel the show, and we would be given refunds at the front desk. I proceeded to jog out of the theater, as most of the crowd was staring at me with murder in their eyes. Upon getting to the ticket counter, we were told by yet another teenager that we could only get vouchers as the register was closed for the night(it was the midnight show). At this point, my lovely wife proceeded to verbally emasculate this poor young man, which happily led to the entire audience getting their money back.

69. Supernautus says:

The point a little bit farther up about masking on the screen. masking is not used to obscure part of the picture, because the light is still projected onto it, what the masking hides, is an obvious long black rectangle at the top of the image.

There are two different standards which are used regularly for film, one which takes up the full screen image, and one which is like “widescreen” it is the widescreen format which requires the masking, if you could see the boom mikes etc. I’m afraid that means the film was badly shot.

I worked projection at my local cinema for a couple of years and we had a masking issue, which was pretty bad, meant we couldn’t show any full screen movies on the screen without them looking like there was something missing from the image, but the company continually scheduled full screen movies for it, nonsense.

70. Supernautus says:

pulsar0510: The other possibility you avoided there was that the film was damaged, possibly prior to them recieving it, this should be unlikely, because they SHOULD but don’t always, view the film before showing it to the public.

Also, a projector is a funny beast, you can have the best training in the world, but if the reel wants to, for example, jump off the projector, or worse, slide off the platter due to static buildup, which can come from nowhere it is not the fault of the operator. Often the composition of the actual film, can have grease (depending where the print was made) on it which causes picture problems and static issues.

In he place I worked, if something happened, you got a free ticket for any other showing at any other time (including new films, no restrictions given it could very well have been the new movie you were going to see) and a refund usually. Certainly, this movie theater was in the wrong, the man should have been refunded, but he also shouldn’t have committed an act of vandalism

71. pulsar0510 says:

I wasn’t avoiding any particular thing either way, just giving random examples of problems. My point being I don’t care what caused the problem, it doesn’t matter. While the person in the story was in the wrong, he certainly was right about people accepting nonsense from companies and allowing poor customer service to continue.

72. darkryd says:

@InfiniTrent:

Here are my recent movie theater experiences:

1) Why did you not say something?
    2) Why did you not say something? And why did you sit through the whole thing?
    3) It happens, I agree its annoying, though.
    4) Go complain to management.
    5) Tell him to turn it off.