Hershey's "Kissables" No Longer Legally Considered "Milk Chocolate"?

The Candy Blog noticed that Hershey’s “Kissables” have been reformulated, and can no longer be legally labeled “milk chocolate” because of FDA regulations. The new package looks the same, except for the ingredients and the label which now says “Chocolate Candy” instead “Candy Coated Milk Chocolate.”

From the Candy Blog:

The new version is called Chocolate Candy which is code for chocolate-flavored confection, or candy that contains chocolate but can’t be called chocolate because it has other stuff in it that’s not permitted by the FDA definitions (like more oil than actual chocolate).

The ingredients: Sugar, vegetable oil (palm, shea, sunflower and/or safflower oil), chocolate, nonfat milk, whey, cocoa butter, milk fat, gum arabic, soy lecithin, artificial colors (red 40, yellow 5, blue 2, blue 1, yellow 6), corn syrup, resinous glaze, salt, carnauba wax, pgpr and vanillin.

The old ingredients were:

Milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, nonfat milk, milk fat, lactose, soy lecithin, PGPR & artificial flavors), sugar, red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6, blue 1 & carnauba wax.

What shall we call this one? The Grocery Suck Ray? The Reformulation Beam?

Kissables (Reformulated) [Candy Blog]

Comments

1. Wally East says:

There was a push not that long ago to allow vegetable oil to be used in chocolate and still have it called chocolate. The FDA didn’t approve the proposed change. This is a way around it, I guess.

It’s interesting that chocolate all on it own is an ingredient in the new version.

2. crabbyman6 says:

I vote for “Ingredient Transmogrifier”.

Poor Hershey’s has really fallen lately.

3. jchabotte says:

The New Coke Ray

4. Wife and I have been off the “Milk Chocolate” for quite a while. We’ve found that we enjoy small amounts of high quality dark chocolate far more than larger amounts of the lesser chocolates produced by Nestle, Hershey’s, etc.

5. dragonfire81 says:

@TakingItSeriously: Amen, I switched to dark chocolate quite some time ago and never looked back.

BTW great handle :)

6. laserjobs says:

Hershey’s = Dirt

7. henrygates says:

I guess they’ll have to change those tour videos at the Hershey factory.

8. OmniZero says:

The Formula Phaser?

The Re-Recipe Ray?

I wish I could think of others. It’s hard to think of something as catchy as Grocery Shrink-Ray.

9. TWinter says:

Yuck, those things weren’t great to begin with. I don’t even want think what they must taste like now that they’ve lowered the quality of the ingredients.

10. floraposte says:

Milk chocolate isn’t the same as bad chocolate–Lindt makes quite a lovely milk chocolate, for instance, while on the other hand Nestle’s and Hershey’s both make dark chocolate that’s not particularly impressive, by me. But once you’re operating on the same qualitative level, the milk/dark divide is essentially just a taste call.

11. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Isn’t this something that those who eat this often would notice? Or can we just now substitute sugar and oil for chocolate?

12. brumbjorn says:

As an admitted chocoholic I know that if the cocoa percentage in candy falls below a certain amount in Europe (I forget what percent it is) they have to label it Chocolate Flavoured Candy. I personally would LOVE to see this enforced in America. Most of our commercial chocolate is crap. Even hoity-toity Godiva makes their chocolates months in advance and freezes them. I’m lucky — I have two high quality hand made chocolatiers withing walking distance of my work place.

**wanders off in search of that 72% dark bar she bought last week**

13. Merkin says:

I’ll just call it disgusting.

14. moore850 says:

Willy Wonka is rolling over in his grave with this one… thank god for World Market, Lindt and Ritter Sport!

15. I noticed that with a couple of Nestle candy products. They didn’t actually say that it was a chocolate bar, it was some sort of confection. Ick.

16. I notice that with Hershey, a purple label/logo usually denotes Dark Chocolate. It is also usually the logo w/the outside lines/bars.

17. @Git Em SteveDave displays attention-grabbing vanity: According to their Kisses website: [www.hersheys.com] , they’re still chocolate. I’m guessing since they removed the phrase candy coated as well, with the candy coating, it’s not “pure” milk chocolate. Does anyone know what M&M’s say on the packages?

18. savvy999 says:

@henrygates: I just went through the Hershey ‘factory’ tour last month. First time in decades. It’s a lot different than I remember it.

They have this array of singing cows, heads pointing out of the barn, happily making milk to put into the ‘milk chocolate’:

I guess they’ll have to replace that with a rows of sunflowers or palms, screaming murderously as their nuts are squeezed for oil.

19. mac-phisto says:

@crabbyman6: that’s not bad, but it takes me about 10 seconds to pronounce “transmogrifier” in my head.

i think it this case, we could’ve called it a “chocolate country crockifier”…

20. catskyfire says:

Oh, yes, cheers for the high quality chocolates everyone mentions. For those of us without lots of spare cash, we stick with what we can buy 3 for a dollar on sale.

@brumbjorn: The cocoa percentage must be a certain percent, as well as other aspects, to be fully labeled chocolate in the US. Other things will be ‘chocolate flavored’. (See Palmers candies.) It may not be the percentage you would prefer, but it is enforced.

21. @Git Em SteveDave displays attention-grabbing vanity: OK, did a google image search and found the following:

Since they removed Candy Coated, and they obviously are still candy coated, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say, like M&M’s, they probably are classified as a “chocolate candy” and need to advertise themselves as such to fit the packaging label laws.

22. Hongfiately says:

This reminds me of the label “pasteurized processed cheese food”. I buy cheese instead. WTH is cheese food? At least this still has chocolate in it. I fear the day it becomes “chocolate-flavored candy”.

23. PeanutButter says:

at least it wasn’t hit by the grocery shrink ray.

24. TomCruisesTesticles says:

Well, it still has milk in it. Can’t they change it to Milky Chocolate or Milked Chocolate. But seriously, cheap chocolate candy is nasty. If you want candy, get Runts, Gummi Bears, Sour Patch Kids, Skittles, etc. If you want chocolate get the gourmet stuff

25. Triborough says:

I am amazed that Hershey gets off selling their chocolate scented brown wax as chocolate.

Sadly the Hershey Wax Company produces the Kit-Kat for the US market, while the rest of the world gets a proper Nestlé one. You can get proper Kit-Kats in the US if you know were to look. Sure you have to pay more for the better quality ones from the UK, but you’ll wind up eating them less of often and probably wind up saving money and weight gain in the long run. Apparently the licensing deal goes away if the Hershey Wax Company is sold or goes out of business. One can only hope.

As for M&M’s I think the “chocolate candy” designation has something to do with the candy shell over the chocolate.

26. TomCruisesTesticles says:

@TomCruisesTesticles: Even Godiva Milk Choc I find flat tasting. Dark chocolate is rich and strong and delicious

27. Gopher bond says:

I like Hershey bars, they’re burny in your throat. I’m not sure if that’s a good sign for chocolate but it’s something I like sometimes. But I really like those super-dark gourmet chocolate bars with the roasted cocao bean nibs in them. That’s some Darrrkk chocloate. Dolemite.

28. crabbyman6 says:

@mac-phisto: I’m just trying to class up the place. Maybe there can be a pronunciation guide somewhere, once you hear it once you’ll never forget.

29. marsneedsrabbits says:

A couple of years ago, Hershey’s led the push to force the FDA to allow them to remove the natural chocolate fats, replace it with other, inferior fats, and still be able to call it chocolate.

It’s bad because cocoa butter has a unique mouth feel and melts at just the right temperature – nothing else is exactly right, and many other shelf stable fats that stay solid yet melt at around body temperature are bad for you (often hydrogenated). “Other” fats are much cheaper, though.

So, if Hershey had been allowed to get away with this, they’d have been able to make garbage and call it the same thing as manufacturers who stick with the traditional ingredients do. It would have been cheaper for them to do so, and that would punish those who stuck with better ingredients.

Hershey’s owns Twizzlers, Mauna Loa Macadamia Nuts, Scharffen Berger, Joseph Schmidt, and Dagoba Chocolates. I avoid all of them due to this. [en.wikipedia.org]‘s#Other_sales_and_acquisitions

[www.typetive.com]

If you’d like to know what this proposed “chocolate” would taste like, think Sixlets Candy or Ice Cubes. Not to slam either of those fine confections – I adore Ice Cubes for what they are, but it is not chocolate.

But then the company that makes them doesn’t call Ice Cubes chocolate because it isn’t.

Hershey’s wants to change that.

30. TomCruisesTesticles says:

@Hongfiately: Haha reminds me of the chicken “flavor” Cup of Noodles

31. Triborough says:

@marsneedsrabbits: So Hershey wanted to make their product even worse?
    Yet another reason for them to go out of business.

32. Gopher bond says:

@marsneedsrabbits: and that would punish those who stuck with better ingredients.

Why it would punish those who stuck with better ingredients? If you use crappy ingredients and the public still buys them, eh, then it’s not Hershey’s that’s punishing the competition, it’s the consumers. IF there aren’t enought people to care about high-quality chocolate to keep you in business, then you picked a crappy business.

33. ColoradoShark says:

@Hongfiately: Silly! Cheese food is what you feed to cheese so it can grow up big and strong! It isn’t actually intended for human consumption. Sounds so much better than Purina Cheese Chow, don’t you think?

34. muckpond says:

i like transmogrifier, but i would vote for something like

Grossery Transmogrifier or Grossery Remix Ray

35. timmus says:

Screw corrupted commercial American chocolate… it ranks about as high as Kraft Macaroni & Cheese in the world of pasta. Try a good online chocolatier. A few years ago I gave my wife a piece of a Michel Cluizel bar. She wasn’t interested but accepted, and five minutes later she was on the phone with her mom raving about it. That’s how good it gets if you lift yourself out of the Hershey/Nestle/Godiva/Dove grocery store chocolate world.

But I’m no snob… I get M&M cravings every few months and nothing else will do.

“Hershey Wax Company” — awesome moniker!

36. Rask says:

How about the Truth Laser.

37. theblackdog says:

As long as Hershey doesn’t mess with their original chocolate bars and take out the cocoa butter, they can do whatever else. I love their chocolate with almonds. I find that Nestle is too sweet, so I’ll take a Hersheys first.

38. xnihilx says:

Lindt all the way baby! Mass produced American chocolate is just gross. I’ve been eating Lindt for so long that I ate a Hershey bar recenty and it seriously tasted like rubber from the manufacturing process. GROSS!

39. ninabi says:

Crap-zapped.

I like chocolate but doing without is better than eating waxy
    “chocolate flavored” junk.

Hershey, you are slipping. You are almost on par with Palmers, the most disgusting chocolate candy and the bane of Easter baskets everywhere.

40. Triborough says:

@timmus: There is something better than M&M’s. They are called Smarties. Again, this is one of those products Americans get screwed out of.

The American “Smarties” is something totally different.
    We created this last year to explain:

A Field Guide to Smarties

Top: American “Smarties” – these are absolute rubbish since they are just basically sugar pills with food colouring. Ironically, they are made in Canada.

Middle: Canadian Smarties Рthese are properly made by Nestl̩ and are the proper candy coated milk chocolate. Sadly they are not in a proper tube.

Bottom: British Smarties – these are properly made by Nestlé and are the proper candy coated milk chocolate. They are in a hex tube which is a bit more environmentally responsible than the old tubes with the plastic tops, but they aren’t as good for reclosing.

41. floraposte says:

@OmniZero: Grocery Tweak Ray?

It’s essentially the same reasoning as the Shrink Ray, of course; they want to make production cheaper without alerting the consumer to the lowered value of the product. It’s nice that now and then the FDA actually does keep something honest and they couldn’t entirely pull it off.

42. Reformulation Beam.

Yes it is like the shrinkage issue (same causes), but the effect to US (the consumer) is actually worse because the product is changing to a lower grade product.

This really SUX.

43. ct_price says:

European chocolate must have something like 30% chocolate in it for it to be called chocolate. Too bad our requirements are far less than that. Buy any store brand chocolate in Germany or Switzerland and it will blow away any American mass market name brand chocolate (even their Kit Kats are higher quality!). Waxy chocolate that doesn’t melt – more likely crumbles – is what I’ve come to expect from Hershey’s. Dove is still sort of okay on occasion. I get about 10 bars every six months for friends who travel across the pond. One taste of a Karina cappucino cream chocolate bar and you will be hooked.

44. TheRealAbsurdist says:

Victory Chocolate.

Doubleplus ungood.

45. Pinget says:

This is why I don’t buy American chocolate. Gag.

46. Chairman-Meow says:

Thank god they left the resinous glaze, & carnauba wax in the ingrediants else i’d be calling for a boycott!!!!

47. lordargent says:

Typically, ingredients are listed in descending order.

NEW: red 40, yellow 5, blue 2, blue 1, yellow 6

OLD: red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6, blue 1

So does this mean more blue ones?

48. modenastradale says:

I’m a real choco-holic and chocolate snob. Real chocolate should be made with 100% cocoa butter and nothing else.

That said, does anyone find it disheartening that the FDA chooses to allocate its resources to preserving the integrity of chocolate, rather than weeding out toxic chemical additives from our food?

49. JulesNoctambule says:

I like the sound of ‘New Coke Ray’ for some reason. Not only does it get across that a change has been made, it hints at the strong possibility that the change was a bad idea.

50. modenastradale says:

@JulesNoctambule:

How about the Kraft Guacamole Ray? You have to admit that creating “guacamole” with less than 2% avocado is an impressive feat.

51. ArgusRun says:

@TakingItSeriously: Hershey’s, Reeses etc. can hardly be compared to high quality dark chocolate. Try instead a high quality milk chocolate from Scharffen Berger or Vosges. Absolutely no comparison. Despite the dark chocolate craze right now, for pure pleasure of eating, I prefer milk.

52. Angryrider says:

Corn syrup? WTF. I liked the old recipe, and it was good.

53. Tiber says:

Not long ago, I started to buy Lindt to go with my lunch at work whenever it went on sale. One time, Dove was on sale as well, so I bought one of each. I never had the best sense of taste, but I could easily tell the difference. Now I think I’ll stick with Lindt, if they’d just go on sale again soon.

54. catland says:

I think this is more about replacing some of the cacoa butter with oil and not about candy coatings.

Most chocolate has about one fourth cacao butter added to it for flavor and texture; replacing it with vegetable oil will save a company money.
    The Grocery Manufactures of America and others petitioned the FDA last year to allow this switch to more non-cacao vegetable fats added to chocolate to be still called chocolate!

I think Hershey’s was for changing the name of such low or non-cacoa fat chocolate products.

FDA docket: [FDAfooddocket.notlong.com]

I’ve lost track of the latest news on this and hope you all can find out for us.

55. james says:

Hershey’s makes horrible products. Nestle are just as bad, maybe worse. Higher sugar content in the UK candies that the US. The lesson is to not buy mass produced food products I think.

56. @moore850: Ritter Sport is good – especially the Corn Flake. As weird as it seems, chocolate and corn flakes do taste pretty good together.

I also like Vosges “Haute Chocolate” as an occasional indulgence – especially since they have a bacon chocolate bar!

57. anatak says:

How about the ‘I’m-not-eating-this-crap ray’

58. typetive says:

catland – if you’d clicked through to Candy Blog, you’d find out the result of the FDA’s petition from the Grocery Manufacturers Association to allow more liberal interpretations of food definitions (not just for chocolate but also for things like yogurt & mayonaise).

Basically, after Gary Guittard mobilized people with his site http://www.dontmesswithourchocolate.com, tens of thousands of people wrote to the FDA.

The FDA got 34,000 comments and have essentially said that the consumers have spoken and chocolate will remain. The point in the end is that the GMA and chocolate makers didn’t need a more liberal definition, they can make these inferior products already. Hershey’s is demonstrating it right here.

The sad part is that they previously made a chocolate product and are now selling this simulation it as if it was the same thing with only a minute change on the front label that wouldn’t prompt most consumers to even notice.

I guess the key is, always look at the ingredients, every time. Or be prepared to throw it out.

59. mariospants says:

KitKat bars no longer taste the same in Canada since Nestle bought out Rowntree.

60. Veeber says:

@OmniZero: quality reduction beam

61. yagisencho says:

I’m mildly alergic to milk chocolate. Removing ‘milk’ from the name but not from the ingredients could potentially cause trouble (in my case, acne).

62. majin_chichi says:

@Triborough: American Smarties = Rockets in Canada. I never understood why they weren’t just called Rockets everywhere, unless if there is another candy already called Rockets in the US?

63. HogwartsAlum says:

@brumbjorn:
    “Even hoity-toity Godiva makes their chocolates months in advance and freezes them.”

Whaaaaat?!?!?!

*sob* B-but I LOVE their dark chocolate/raspberry bars! :’(

64. HogwartsAlum says:

Lindt is good. I like the Lindor balls too. Two people gave me bags of those for Christmas last year and I ate myself sick. It was great.

My favorite Lindor balls, ironically, are the white chocolate ones.

65. P_Smith says:

And people wonder why I only eat imported chocolate that costs 4-6 times the crap at the corner store.

I’m not going to notice the difference because I don’t eat that cheap crap. And no doubt those who do eat it won’t notice the difference either.

66. Benny Gesserit says:

@Triborough: Canadian Smarties (I eat the red ones last!) come in round tubes, but only at Xmas and Easter.

It’s really too bad I just got back from a drug store – I would have checked the M&M bag up here. In Canada we have a phrase “Chocolatey” which is applied when the gov’t deems the ingredients aren’t real chocolate any longer. If our bag of M&M reads something like “Candy Coated Chocolatey Candy” ding ding ding.

67. describe_one says:

How about we call it the Mock-O-Late ray? It’s for all the “chocolate candy” lovers out there.

68. Raanne says:

hmmm… probably wont be a big difference in the end product. I mean, if you are buying Hershey’s in the first place, are you goign to notice that one type of oil is substituted for a different type of oil? Its not like this is high-quality chocolate where it might be noticeable…

69. Brunette Bookworm says:

@HogwartsAlum: Where did you read they freeze them? I doubt that they do as the change in temperature to room temperature would likely take the chocolates out of temper, causing them to bloom.

70. OmniZero says:

@Veeber: Oooooo good one!

71. I am fairly amazed that the chocolate industry did not get the FDA to roll over on this. The swiss cheese industry got the FDA to let them make swiss cheese with almost no holes and who knows what else. No, I’m not making this up.

I suppose chocolate holds a special place for all of us and the idea of fucking with it was too much for even the blandest bureaucrat…

72. asthecrowspins says:

To put a little perspective on this, let’s remember that nobody actually buys kissables. Only the Hershey brand name (whose worth is dubious these days) keeps ill-conceived brand extensions like this from disappearing in a flash. (Instead they get phased out after three or four years…) If Hershey changes the formula for their eponymous Bar, *that* will be news…despite its limited appeal, they won’t risk changing the flavor for fear of alienating all the people who grow up with ‘em. That nostalgia is the lifeblood of the ailing Hershey’s.

And speaking of the Shrink Ray, Brenner’s The Emperors of Chocolate describes how Hershey responded to ingredient price fluctuations by changing the weight of the bar and keeping the price at a nickel. It meant developing new molds and wrappers every time, and the bars just kept getting smaller.

73. chandler in lasvegas says:

Ingredient crapification ray. Also like when a juice company says that Grape Juice Blend is 100% juice and the ingredients list apple juice as the first ingredient. Ingredient crapification!

74. frugalgirl says:

I love the Canadian Smarties, every time I go over I buy some.

However these Hershey Kisses were gross before they lost the ‘milk chocolate’.

75. nrwfos says:

It’s looking as if the FDA is the “Congress” and the public lobbies against whatever food industry (lobby) to play “tug-of-war” for what we eat and what it’s made of. Sad – so sad.

76. typetive says:

@asthecrowspins: I’m not sure if it’s in Brenner’s book or not, but I recall that Hershey’s struggled for a long time to keep the 5 cent bar that price, I think that was the only time the bar dipped below the one ounce mark.

Honestly, I don’t have a problem with sizes changing (or even recipes as needed), I get that supply and market forces apply to food. I just thought it was funny that this change by a chocolate company to a non chocolate product just before launching a campaign touting their “pure chocolate” was disingenuous.

Hershey’s did change their formula, btw. About two years ago they added an additional emulsifier, PGPR (made from castor beans) in addition to the soy lecithin found in most chocolate. It succeeds in diluting the chocolate only by about 1%, but that’s a savings for the company.

77. radiochief says:

I do so love how most here are connoisseurs of chocolate.

Am I upset that candy makers will start using various oil instead of the more expensive cocoa butter? Yes. But, one could make the case that this could actually be more efficient and lead to less waste in production.

I like Lindt, Newman’s Own Organic, Ghiradelli and Godiva… I can’t afford anything more expensive than that. But, if I want cand bar that just fun chocolate experience give me a Nestle’s Crunch Bar.

In fact, give me a GD-Coffee Crisp Bar! NOW!

78. seamer says:

You people need to get your hands on Cadbury chocolate. Not the stuff made by Hershey, or the stuff from the UK, but the stuff made in Australia. That’s the best mass-produced chocolate ever.

For slightly more upmarket chocolate, look for Guylian.

79. ludwigk says:

@marsneedsrabbits: You shouldn’t avoid Scharffenberger just because Hershey bought them. It’s world-class chocolate all the way. Almost as good as Valrhona, I’d say. Dagoba I could go either way because some of their stuff is just too adulterated, but Scharffenberger makes an amazing dark chocolate bar using centuries old belgian tools, and some very nice single origin and restricted origin bars as well. It’s all cocoabutter, well tempered, great mouth feel, not too sweet, and a complex finish to boot.

80. ludwigk says:

@HogwartsAlum: Don’t worry. Chocolate is full of antioxidants and has an effective shelf life of years if stored properly. It may experience a slight amount of “bloom”, which is a cloudy outer layer of crystalized cocoabutter, but it can be retempered and restored to its former tastiness.

@Pinget: American chocolate can be good. Like my previous post, buy Scharffenberger. It’s made right here in Berkeley, CA, and its some of the best chocolate on earth.

81. crowquill says:

I vote for the “Reformulation Ray.” The “Ray” indicates it’s from the same toolbox as the Grocery Shrink-Ray. Alliteration is always good too.

I guess to keep prices from going through the roof we have to sacrifice either quantity or quality.

82. bluewyvern says:

I vote “Grocery Reformulation-Ray” or “Grocery Tweak-Ray”.

I only tried Kissables once, and I couldn’t even get them down — I think I ended up throwing most of them away. I have a weakness for M&Ms, but the Kissables were just plasticky. Definitely not chocolate!

83. GeekMommy says:

Well suck.

Kissables, unlike M&Ms, are peanut free – so I can give them to my kidlet with the deadly peanut & tree nut allergies.
    I’ve always been thankful there was that alternative.
    Now they’re made with such gross ingredients, I’m not sure how I feel about them.

84. marsneedsrabbits says:

@testsicles:

Why it would punish those who stuck with better ingredients?

Because right now, and traditionally, if it has been labeled “chocolate”, it has actually meant something, legally and ingredient-wise.

The public has an expectation of what “chocolate” is and Hershey would like to be able to change that, not for quality reasons, but for economic reasons.

If other companies stuck with traditional ingredients, they would be forced to compete with Hersheys, who would suddenly be able to sell much cheaper candy and still call it “chocolate”, which they have previously been unable to do.

85. marsneedsrabbits says:

@ludwigk:

Thanks for the suggestions. Have you tried Theo Chocolate 3400 Phinney> We’re going to try a bar this weekend.

I have had Sharffenberger and enjoyed it very much; they certainly do make a quality product. But I have to draw the line somewhere, and for me, Hershey pushing to be able to call inferior junk “chocolate” means that Sharffenberger is off my list for now.

86. 800HighTech says:

Not surprised at all, I remember a law suit in the UK over Cadbury’s not being real milk chocolate, that stuff is way better than Hersheys too!

87. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Like Hershey’s was ever “Milk Chocolate” to begin with….

88. Ubermunch says:

Oompa loompa doompty doo
    I’ve got something not chocolate for you
    Oompa loompa doompty dee
    Red dyes, carnauba, and goo oily

/Wonka

89. Imaginary_Friend says:

@savvy999: You and I think alike! I was just going to suggest:

component castrater

90. tweemo says:

@catskyfire: Get a bag of semisweet chocolate chips. They’re cheap and good.

91. mrearly2 says:

It’s garbage, if not outright poisonous.
    Dark chocolate is far better, and satisfying to those who crave the effects of theobromine.

92. Benny Gesserit says:

@Grrrrrrrrr: It’s that Canuck/Yank paradox: we both adore chocolate but Canucks think Hershey’s is too bitter and nasty while Yanks think Cadbury is too sweet and cloying.

If I ever visit the States again, I’m bringing some Smarties and a few Coffee Crisps with me. Coffee Crisp … droool.

93. AD8BC says:

@mrearly2: I just can’t bring myself to like dark chocolate. I tried, I honestly did… but I just don’t like it.

94. BiZarRroBALlmeR says:

@seamer: thumbs up for Cadbury. You won’t go back Hershey after a cadbury with Almonds.

95. HogwartsAlum says:

@mjane79:
    brumbjorn’s comment, said that they froze the chocolate.
    I keep my Godiva bars in the fridge, but they usually are ok for a while. I eat them way too fast for them to go bad.

96. HogwartsAlum says:

??? Do I have a Godiva bar right now? Reading over this again is making me want chocolate, BAD!

97. @catskyfire: You don’t have to buy chocolate at all – it is not an essential purchase so maybe buy it less often but buy a nicer quality. You’ll still have the same outlay but will be eating less of an unhealthy product and what you do buy will be slightly less unhealthy too.

98. red3001 says:

@jchabotte: i agree new coke ray

99. CorrieCJ says:

They were talking about this on the Today show this AM… Mr. Goodbar, Krackle, and several others have the “new formula” now. Almond Joy was changed but has now been changed back to the original. Regular Hershey bar and Reese’s PB Cups remain “old school” at this point…

100. potbound_haymaker says:

What year did Candy 2.0 begin? First it was LARGE Reese’s cups, then WHITE cups and White Kit Kats and Kissables and Rasberry-filled Hershey Kisses and now a MINT Milky Way, Caramel Reese’s and chocolate covered Altoids! Was anyone asking for this? “Hello, I’d like a Kit Kat inside a Mint Peanut butter Cup covered in White Chocolate please”

I see a lot of these “new” products in the 50% off bin at many a convenience store.

I agree with the poster who said that its better to indulge in some quality chocolate than eat ‘pretend’ chocolate.

101. Anonymous says:

My first-grader has a severe peanut allergy and cannot eat regular M & M’s. These are the PERFECT alternative and are safe for him to eat. WE LOVE KISSABLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!