Dominick's Takes Its Fly Infested Grocery Store "Very Seriously"

WHO: Dominick’s Finer Foods
WHAT: A Dominick’s Finer Foods grocery store on Chicago’s Near West side has been closed by the Department of Public Health due to a massive fly infestation.
WHERE: Dominick’s may reopen Friday afternoon pending reinspection, manager says [Chicago Tribune]
THE QUOTE: “We go to great lengths for sanitation, and we have some of the highest store standards in the food industry,” [Dominick's spokesperson] Redmond said. “The issue with fruit flies has been addressed. We took it very seriously.”

“Taking it seriously” is a phrase companies use over and over again to appear contrite without actually saying or doing anything. Our series of posts documenting recurrences of the phrase attempts to question how seriously they’re actually taking it.

(Photo: stirwise )

Comments

1. dante1337 says:

Jewel ftw

2. Gopher bond says:

But see, these guys, “took” it seriously, past tense. They found a loophole in your theme.

3. Norcross says:

Ehh…might not be that big a deal. Considering all the rain in the southeast, a few flies in a dark corner can explode into an infestation, esp. if the store isn’t all that big.

4. SkokieGuy says:

Frankly, the fact that they ‘took care of it’ means that the store has been doused with pesticides. I’d rather have fruit flies.

5. “Took it seriously” is a phrase companies use when they are done “Taking it seriously” to appear contrite without actually having said or done anything. Our series of posts documenting recurrences of the phrase “Taking it seriously” attempts to question how seriously they’re actually taking (or took) it.

Updated ;)

6. mbz32190 says:

FYI: Dominick’s is owned by (Un)Safeway

7. tande04 says:

We “took” it seriously almost sounds menancing.

Considering the amount of posion they probably used it probably is menacing.

8. rpm773 says:

At the frat house in college we would occasionally have a fly problem, usually in the late summer. And what we did to solve it was to get fly swatters and have every new member kill 10 flies by dinner.

By November the problem was solved. And no, I don’t think it had anything to do with the place having no heat in the winter.

9. MayorBee says:

@SkokieGuy: Well, who of us wouldn’t like a few fruit flies, eh? My last one moved to Dallas, the whore.

The phrase “we have some of the highest store standards in the food industry” sounds like Larry Kellner, CEO of Continental Airlines saying “we have some of the most professional employees in the industry”.

10. TomCruisesTesticles says:

Super fly! Bonzai! You know why I’m yo daddy? Because I did this to yo mamma! Yeah yo mamma!

/Joe Cartoon nostalgia

11. TomCruisesTesticles says:

Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas

12. nursetim says:

When the Dept of Public Health closes you down ,you have no choice but to take it seriously.

13. SkokieGuy says:

MayorBee: If you are making reference to flight attendants of questionable sexual preference, That is wildly inappropriate. All I can say is bravo! Very clever.

Seriously, Dominick’s is in my home turf (Chicago) and the really do have great stores. They declined after the Safeway takeover, but are still quite nice.

I have a few flies in my kitchen. It’s not always a lack of sanitation, it can be due to unavoidable things, like having to open doors to leave and enter your home (or grovery store). There are a lot more serious sins a food store can commit, like outdated food, inadequate refrigeration temperatures, etc.

14. chiieddy says:

They took it seriously…

after losing thousands+ of dollars because their store was closed.

Bright point: At least they didn’t have to make payroll with the store closed!

15. jonworld says:

Another reason why, in the Chicago area, I prefer Sunset Foods or Jewel over Dominick’s. By the way, this doesn’t surprise me. All their stores that I’ve been too are pigsties in terms of cleanliness. Now Sunset Foods, you could practically eat off their floors…

16. describe_one says:

I do shop at this Dominick’s, but have always avoided the produce. There are too many farmers markets and specialty grocers with AWESOME produce to shop at Jewel or Dominick’s.

17. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

Jewel is no better than Dominick’s, especially the stores in the city itself.
    I was just in California & Albertson’s which has the same parent company, Supervalu is far better run than Jewel.
    Jewel has now had three different owners in the past 15 years or so. When American Stores of Boise owned them, they closed all their smaller stores, except one, that was the Jewel on Lake Ave. in Wilmette.
    Why?
    Because American Stores was a Mormon run company & the Chicago area’s only Mormon temple was a mile west of there.
    When Albertson’s bought out American Stores, they closed the Lake Ave. Jewel & built a new one a mile farther away from the Mormon temple.
    Safeway & Von’s are also better run than Dominick’s, despite common ownership.
    Every grocery chain in Chicago that’s owned by a company outside Chicago is rottenly run.
    They treat us like unwanted stepchildren. Safeway paid over $2 billion for Dominick’s & then couldn’t manage to sell it off a few years later for $700 million, that’s how badly they trashed the stores.
    Much of Chicago is a desert as far as the major grocers are concerned.

Sunset is locally owned & just has a few stores on the North Shore. The only problem Sunset has may be a shortage of parking spaces at peak times.

18. vildechaia says:

@jonworld: You COULD eat off Sunset Foods’ floors! Not “practically.” Theirs are some of the cleanest grocery stores I have ever been in. Dominick and Jewel, on the other hand, well … don’t get me started.

19. Yifkong says:

Wow, quite the summer for grocery store shut-downs. First the Whole Paycheck on North Ave., now this?

20. bologna_wallet says:

Ugh- this is my usual Dominck’s. Now I guess I have to go to Whole Foods. Wait, that was closed last month for rat droppings…

21. baquwards says:

I work in the grocery industry. I work in a couple of stores with a fly problem. We clean constantly, and have the pest control in there weekly, but it hasn’t helped at all. It is really gross for the customers to see, but nobody seems to have a solution.

22. foxymophadlemama says:

oh man, i wasn’t sure at first when the only descriptor used was “near west side,” but i watched the short video and heard the world halstead.

i used to shop at that very dominick’s every week while i lived in a student loft by the university of illinois chicago.

in my numerous visits there (even in my last visit there the weekend of july 20) i didn’t notice any flies in the store. but then again, being shut down by the department of public health says more than my testimonies.

but all the cashiers were very nice.