Poll: Is It Immoral For US Airways To Charge For Drinking Water?

Between the TSA ban on liquids and US Airways $2 fee for bottled water, if you want a drink, you’re probably going to pay for it. It may be annoying, but is it also wrong?

According to US Airways policy, coffee and tea are $1, but bottled drinking water is $2. So, can you order tea and ask them to “hold the tea” and save a $1? Shouldn’t you be able to get a boring old glass of water for free?

Jeanne Leblanc from the Hartford Courant thinks so:

It’s hard to understand why the laws that require free potable water in such public places as movie theaters and amusement parks don’t seem to apply to airlines. But then, it shouldn’t have to be a law. It should just be a matter of common decency.

Now, I’m not saying US Airways should have to hand out free bottles of water, although that would be nice. I’m saying it should pour a cup of water out of a quart bottle for any passenger who’s thirsty. And for no other reason than that they’re thirsty.

US Airways says that if you’re “desperately thirsty” and you don’t have any money, they might give you some water… so that you don’t try anything embarrassing like drinking out of the bathroom sinks.

“Frankly, [drinking from the sink is] just not classy,” a US Airways spokesperson told the Wall Street Journal.

So what do you think? Should there be non-fancy water for anyone who is thirsty?

US Airways’ Fee Too Far
[Courant]
Starting Today, No More Free Water on US Air [WSJ Middle Seat Blog]
(Photo: caseywest )

Comments

1. fostina1 says:

they will soon put a surcharge on the oxygen they supply in the cabin.

2. SadSam says:

I’m wondering what happens when you are stuck on a US Air plane on the ground for 8 hours due to “weather” or some other delay. Is it legal for US Air to deny water to the passangers in that type of situation?

3. basket548 says:

When I originally heard this policy, I thought that they would have a pitcher of comped water and little bottle for all the passengers that were just too fancy for that.

I still think that would be the best solution.

4. farcedude says:

Umm, you can circumvent the problem by bringing an empty water bottle through security, and filling it up at a water fountain. Just sayin’.

• Wombatish says:

@farcedude: Until they hit you with the $2 “bottle fee”.

But really… should you -have- to, or is that just a solution the bottle manufacturers have pushed onto us?

We can, and it’s a good solution, but we shouldn’t have to. Potable water is not something insane to expect. The laws do have some basis in safety.

5. xkaluv says:

It just seems wrong that I can’t bring anything liquid over 3oz, and now I am required to buy WATER (WATER, it’s WATER) just to quench my thurst over a 3-4 hr period I am inside security and/or flying.

-Tim

6. krispykrink says:

How long until we hear about someone dieing because they refused to give them water to take some emergency heart medication or something?

7. OmniZero says:

Well charging for bottled water, such as from Aquafina or something isn’t immoral. It’s called normal. Now if they charge for TAP water, then that’s a problem.

Then again an airplane doesn’t have an unlimited amount of water. Storing water on the plane for use adds weight and they are probably filling the plane with less water to improve energy savings.

8. ScubaSteveKzoo says:

A surcharge for a safe landing is next.

9. basket548 says:

@krispykrink:
    Gonna go ahead and say a very, very long time. Airlines may be tight for cash, but they are not THAT stupid.

10. hills says:

Free tap water (or whatever they make the coffee with)

Charge for bottled water

Problem Solved:)

11. Ein2015 says:

Until US Airways gets a colonoscopy to remove their collective heads… bring empty bottles of water and fill them up once you get past security. That should help.

12. morganlh85 says:

Do they have UNbottled water available free of charge? I was under the impression that all places offering food must offer regular water for free. Or maybe that’s an urban legend.

13. The Warrior-Poet says:

Meg, brilliant second graf. Surely you were channeling Jack Nicholson.

+ Watch video

14. sir_eccles says:

I would hazard a guess that the water from the bathroom sink on a plane isn’t necessarily certified as potable.

15. I can’t believe our civilization has sunk so low that we have to have a poll about whether or not people should have access to water. What’s next, they put a pillow over your face and suffocate you until you shell out for air?

16. MeOhMy says:

Frankly, [drinking from the sink is] just not classy.

It’s true! You are on a vending machine with wings! Show a little class!

17. tc4b says:

Maybe you could get your doctor to write you a note: “My patient has a condition by which she requires water in order to live.”

18. Trai_Dep says:

“I want a hot tea”
    “You want a hot tea, sir”
    “Yes. And a two glasses of ice”
    “And two glasses of ice”
    “Now I want you to take that teabag and just keep it on the cart”
    “You want me to hold the bag of tea, sir?”
    “…Yes. I’d like you to TAKE that bag of tea, hold it between your legs.”

19. Ein2015 says:
  20. B says:

Am I the only person who sees the difference between a movie theater and an airplane. In that a movie theater has plumbing connecting it to the public water supply. As opposed to an airplane, which is, you know, in the air.

21. Sunflower1970 says:

@farcedude: That’s exactly what I was thinking. I usually do bring an empty bottle with me anyway and fill up at the nearest water fountain… :)

22. krispykrink says:

@basket548: The way I see it one of two things would happen:

1. An attendant on-board the flight will act and provide the water for free. Then get fired for violating policy.

2. The attendants adhere to policy and the person dies.

23. s35flyer says:

I think its great, the less people who fly the better for me. Raise the fares!!!!

24. ibored says:

If they sell food wouldn’t they be considered a resteraunt and have to provide free water anyways? Tap vs. Bottled tis irrelevant, they have to provide some form of water.

25. B says:

@krispykrink: Dying because they were refused water, or dying because the person refused to pay for it? Personally, if I had to chose between death and paying two bucks for a bottle of water, I’ll pay the two bucks. But that’s just me.
    I’m waiting for the airlines to stop messing around with these fees, and just charge per pound for everything the passenger wants transported, which would include the water.

26. exconsumer9 says:

Gonna have to say yeah, it’s immoral. It’s not soda or filet mignon they are charging for, but water. Water is a pretty basic necessity and is almost always in ready supply. You can’t really go without water for a long long time without some consequences. I’m not saying you’ll die, but you can get dehydrated, which in my case, is always a precursor to getting sick with the cold or flu or whathaveyou.

When we get on a plane, we’re stuck there. The company providing the service has gone to great lengths to make sure it is very difficult to get on or off that plane. That’s fine, perhaps it’s necessary, but along with that comes the responsibility to provide certain basic staples that all humans need: A bathroom, and a little water. It’s not difficult.

27. jmessick says:

I like EIN2015’s idea about bringing empty water bottles through security and then filling them from a water fountain. I think some form of water should be made available, especially if a person is on an airplane for more than an hour or two.

28. castlecraver says:

I’m sure there’s someone with better knowledge of jetliner systems and features out there, but I’m not totally certain the lavatory water is necessarily potable.

29. forgottenpassword says:

Considering that you are basically held captive while on an airplane ….. you should be provided with the equivilant of tap water.

30. katylostherart says:

i know someone mentioned that “what if” of being held in delay for 8 hours. but what about the fact that one cross country flight is 8-9 hours?

next they’ll be charging to use the bathroom…

31. prag says:

I’m happy they are charging for water, snacks, extra luggage. I chose to fly light and bring my own drink and food if I want to. I’d rather not have the ticket price be raised in order to keep water and 100lbs of luggage free for all. The bottom line, in case anyone hasn’t noticed, is that fuel prices have gone way up. Every ounce on the plane costs the airlines money. Airlines should charge by the pound like UPS. It will offend the willfully obese but is likely the only sustainable model for a business model that is increasingly based on the price of fuel.

32. SkokieGuy says:

@B: In a movie theater, I can leave at any time if I feel the need to consume a beverage. In a plane, I am captive with no alternatives and in some cases, held hostage on the ground, again with no ability to exit and obtain a beverage of my choice from a location of my choice.

To make the examples parallel, the movie theater would perform a seach of your belongings and a pat down when you entered to insure you did not bring a beverage. Then after entry, offer to sell you beverage for a very high price. When you entered the individual theater, you would be locked in for the duration of the movie, and at random times, for hours and hours longer, due to “technical difficulties” or “weather related delays”.

33. deweydecimated says:

@SadSam: I’ve been stuck on a plane for several hours due to a mechanical problem. It was NWA, not US Airways. We were offered the possibility of purchasing snack boxes at $5 a pop while they kept us on the plane – and kept us on there so long that the one food vendor in the small airport where we were parked closed for the evening.

34. triggerh says:

@The Standard Deviant: THAT is the best clip! “I want you to hold it between your knees.” LOL!

——

From the US Airways website: “Customer service has always been a priority at US Airways, and we are committed to making every flight count for our valued customers.” I’m so disgusted that I’m reaching for a witty remark on this one.

35. Groovymarlin says:

@The Standard Deviant: LOL! Only if she also advises the flight attendant to take the teabag and hold it between her knees.

Seriously, it’s ridiculous what the airlines are doing now. Charging for every checked bag, while they make the size requirements for carry-ons impossibly small; charging for water in an environment where you can’t easily bring your own unless you pay for it in the terminal; charging for pillows/blankets/etc.; leaving people stranded on the runway for hours without relief; it just goes on and on. Christ on a crutch, just raise the ticket prices $10 and you can afford to serve frakking water again!!

It’s kind of hard to believe that they’re not obligated to provide some kind of water for free. I mean, you’re stuck up there, in an environment where dehydration is much more likely than, say, sitting in a movie theater. You’ve paid hundreds of dollars for a ticket. And you get treated worse than livestock. This is why I no longer fly, EVER.

36. katylostherart says:

someone said it’s not soda. i think that’s the problem actually. if they sell some drinks and give others away they probably won’t be able to sell that many. i’m just assuming more people would take the free drink than pay for a soda. i think their solution was to charge for everything just so we’d HAVE to buy something to prevent flyers from choosing the free water over the $1 soda.

either way, this is just ridiculous.

37. SkokieGuy says:

An airplane cannot deny water to those with a medical need. So it seems this puts the flight attendants in the position of vetting, passenger by passenger, each person’s water request.

Passenger: May I have some water?
    Attendant: Do you have a medical condition that makes consuming water a medical neccessary?
    Passenger: No.
    Attendant: That will be $2.00

rinse / lather / repeat

38. xwildebeestx says:

Plenty of water on the ground. Where I am. All the time. For a reason.

39. katylostherart says:

@prag: actually oil dropped like $20/barrel. so maybe they should reverse all the fees now.

maybe airports should now be required to give away free water bottles if the passengers have to bring necessities for living with them.

40. ianmac47 says:

Why do you think the airlines haven’t lobbied against the TSA regulations? Do you really think a multi-billion dollar industry like the airlines couldn’t convince congress to fix the “security” fliers go through? Of course they could; they have plenty of lobbyists running around D.C. But by confiscating basic necessities for “security” reasons, consumers now get to pay for bottled water, food, ect.

On yesterday’s consumerist story on airlines charging $7 for a blank and pillow, someone made the comment that the TSA would soon ban blankets and pillows for security reasons. That should get the Obvious Tag.

41. katylostherart says:

i have to make two flights later this year. this post = not taking us air. at least i don’t need the blanket and pillow…

42. HunterZ says:

Just wait until someone dies on one of their planes because they’re severely dehydrated and have some kind of medical condition but no $2 to buy water.

43. @ibored: We went to a restaurant that refused to give us water. They said it “didn’t go with the food.” We could only have sparkling mineral water, which I’m fine with, but my husband won’t drink. We didn’t go back and mocked their policy on my blog.

On an airline note, once an airline refused me kleenex when they sat me next to a dog (to which I am allergic), refused to move me, and triggered a spectacular allergy attack.

I don’t mind pets on planes; this was shortly after they started allowing pets in the cabin, so I didn’t know to have benadryl, and I was having other allergy problems that day. The allergies weren’t their fault, and I prefer pets be allowed to fly in the cabin; it’s safer. It was the REFUSAL TO PROVIDE KLEENEX WHEN I WAS A GIANT BALL OF SPRAYING SNOT that I object to.

44. B says:

@SkokieGuy: Ahh, I forgot to mention if the airlines are going to do this, we should be allowed to bring our own beverages onto the plane, since nobody’s going to blow up a plane with a a bottle of water.

45. bohemian says:

Considering you are probably the most captive audience there is when flying yes, they should be required to provide potable water without a charge.

The idea of being stuck on the tarmac for hours on end and then being denied or shook down for water is crazy.

46. girly says:

There should definitely be a potable alternative that is free. They must have some kind of ‘tapwater’ because it wasn’t always bottled water, was it?

47. By looking at the picture you’re assuming they’re not going to charge for using the restroom eventually.

48. forgottenpassword says:

I havnt flown since about 2003. Question… Are you still allowed to bring your own drinks or snacks on the flight?

49. pgh9fan says:

They might get into trouble with the ADA. I’m diabetic. Being thirsty is a well-know side affect of diabetes. Also, what if someone needs to take a pill for their diabetes, heart, or whatever?

50. IphtashuFitz says:

“In the event of an emergency an oxygen mask will drop from the overhead compartment. To start the flow of oxygen deposit $1.00 in the slot next to your chair or swipe your credit card in the reader in the seatback in front of you. Oxygen costs $1.00 for 5 minutes or any part therein. If paying by cash please be sure to have additional cash readily available.”

51. Nick1693 says:

@basket548: Erm….. Delta didnt notice a body in a locked bathroom for most of the flight.

52. IphtashuFitz says:

@pgh9fan: Well flight attendants are gods while you’re in the airplane. If you request water for your medication I’m sure they’ll offer you a bottle for $2. If you complain then I bet they’d gladly contact Homeland Security and have charges filed against you for interfering with the flight crew.

53. exconsumer9 says:

To be fair, you are allowed to bring water onto the plane. It’s getting through security that takes some forethought. You’ve got to bring an empty bottle through (which I’ve never had a problem doing) and then fill it up afterwards. You can bring as much as you like at that point.

But still, water is, well, water. Just as we need oxygen, we need water. Maybe you can get away with no water for your flight, and maybe you can’t. The plane itself is a closed environment, and just as I would have a duty to pipe in oxygen if there was none, I have a duty to provide water for those who require it.

54. TheShepherd says:

@katylostherart: on what airline are you in the air for 8-9 hours to cross the country?

Seattle to Miami is just over 6 hours, Boston to LAX is just over 5.

55. Nick1693 says:

@SkokieGuy: Don’t worry, they will.

56. Canino says:

Strange…I have tapwater in my house and it still isn’t free. I’m going to print out all these “tapwater is a basic human right and should be free free free” posts and send them in my next water bill instead of a check.

57. forgottenpassword says:

@Canino:

Are you held captive in your house? Like you prettymuch are when onboard an airplane? When you are in jail (captive)… you are provided water.

58. RandomHookup says:

@HunterZ: Actually, it will be because they didn’t have exact change.

59. RabbitDinner says:

At the very least, any flight over an hour, free tap water. Delayed on the tarmac for two hours, I better get a free snack pack and adult beverage if you don’t want a mutiny

60. @krispykrink:

I think the most likely scenario would be someone choking and dying on a pill as they tried to dry swallow it.

Any politician looking to make some BIG free points this election season would propose immediate legislation requiring at least a pint of free drinking water per passenger per air-hour.

This has gone far enough – take the damned fuel costs (for carrying 200 pounds of water on a two hour, 100-passenger flight!) out of the CEO’s salary. I know fuel costs add up over time, but you can’t tell me that the equivalent of one revenue passenger in weight would make the difference between an airline making money on operations or not.

There are plenty of empty galley spaces that can be used for potable water storage, now that domestic carriers deem it unnecessary to feed people. Ditch the useless mini water bottles, think outside of the damned box, and treat your passengers humanely!

61. kathyl says:

It’s nice to know that the spokespeople for US Air is in cahoots with the PR departments of the companies that bottle water and jack up the price to unbelievable heights so that we can be classy when we drink water instead of drinking from the tap like a serf.

I didn’t know that corporate symbiosis had reached these heights.

By the way, US Air, screw you for telling me that drinking from the tap isn’t “classy”. Paying ridiculous amounts of money for water in a bottle that, in most areas, is no “cleaner” or more made of speshul snowflake water than tap water, which is free, is frankly stupid. I’d rather know I’m smart than know that some US Air cretin thinks I’m classy any day.

62. exconsumer9 says:

@Canino:
    Indeed, it is not free, even in your house. But it is readily provided to you at a reasonable cost. It’s not as if you have walked onto an airplane without throwing down any money. You’ve paid for a ticket already. Just as you should not have to pay extra “planecrash prevention fees” you should not have to pay fees for water. A safe landing and water are both necessary to maintain a safe environment for the services provided. And it is the job of the provider to structure their ticket prices as such. Any other way and we start playing a stupid game that will compromise someone’s health. There is no need for that.

63. GirlCat says:

@xwildebeestx: Word. Every new post I read here justifies my flying boycott.

64. cordeliapotter says:

Yeah, I don’t remember the physics of it, but being at that high an altitude increases the rate of dehydration, so to deny or charge for water on a plane is inhumane. Even for an hour flight, let alone a 10 hour one.

65. ironchef says:

Those *fat cats* in first class will get water instead of champagne now.

lol.

66. katylostherart says:

@TheShepherd: depends which way you’re heading. i forget which but in one direction there’s a headwind and in the other’s a tail wind. i’ve flown quite a few times from jfk to seatac and it’s usually about 8 hours assuming everything goes right. so i have no idea what airline you’re on but it took me 6 to get to vegas.

i’ve spent 10 hours on a “nonstop” flight because of stops. they should really reterm nonstop if it really means you’re not getting off but the plane is actually stopping at some point.

67. SkokieGuy says:

Water weighs about 8lbs a gallon. 10 gallons of water weighs 80lbs.

The variance in weights of a single passenger easily exceeds this, (a 14 year old weighing 90lbs pays no more or less than a 350lbs adult).

Therefore the charge is total flaming bullshit.

Just like upscale movie theaters that charge a premium and have food service at your table in the theater, soon we will have an ultra premium airline that charge a LOT for a flight but pampers the flier. Perhaps complimentary wine, neck massages, etc. We are witnessing a race to the bottom in terms of who can offer the least.

I’m buying stock in the first airline to offer an alternative. Slogan? All First Class – All the Time.

68. jswilson64 says:

If you can’t bring water into the airport with you, then yes, you should be able to get some for free on the plane. Imagine the gouging that will take place if all the airlines start charging for water – that $3.00 bottle of water in the “secured area” will cost $10.

69. Canino says:

@forgottenpassword: @exconsumer9: I know, I was just being snarky. I’ve seen posts here and in the last few days in other stories here about how tap water is some kind of “basic human right” and should therefore be free to all people all the time. Yeah, tell that to my city water department. I wasn’t commenting too specifically about this particular story.

70. RobUsdin says:

If they have available potable tap water, or a water fountain, then I think it’s OK. If there is no potable water other than the bottled water, I think it’s immoral.

And what of the parent who needs water for powdered formula for a baby’s bottle? Will they force them to also pay?

I think they are really pushing on this one.

–*Rob

71. Smitherd says:

@xkaluv: Seriously. It’s ridiculous.

You pay $500 for a ticket and tons of surcharges, and they have the gall to charge for water that cost them pennies?

I can go to a restaurant and ask for water and they won’t charge me for it. An airline should be no different.

72. milqtost says:

@OmniZero: You do realize Aquafina IS just tap water right? It’s just made a middle man stop in a bottle before going in your glass.

73. ZekeDMS says:

They’re always potable water, Rob. There’s a big cart full of it on the tarmac someone is always pulling around to refill planes with, and often you can hook up to the plane from the jetway and fill ‘er up. Those green lights over commissary stations in planes? Yep, that’s quite often the indicator of how much is left.

Most of the time I worked at Mesa Air, well known for how bad they were before becoming part of US Air, we filled potable water without any requests from the crew. Plenty of us had a mouthful about that same time too (It’s Phoenix, it’s 115 degrees, and we didn’t have time to go inside for water). There are several taps on even a small plane, why water isn’t free is beyond me.

Oh, right. US Air thinks the way to save their profits is to charge for everything, instead of realizing that angers passengers who will go fly another airline and quickly bankrupt them.

74. Antediluvian says:

I have a serious medical condition that requires I maintain a minimum percentage of my body mass as water, or else I will die.

It’s not an immediate death, it’s kinda drawn out, but it’s still not pleasant.

75. ZekeDMS says:

@sir_eccles: It is. They don’t call it a potable water cart or the potable water tank on the jetway for no reason, I assure you.

76. Antediluvian says:

On the other hand, perhaps the airlines are just trying to save our lives?

[www.dhmo.org]

77. Antediluvian says:

And I always bring an empty water bottle and a small disposable cup with me when I fly. The cup is to fill the larger water bottle from a drinking fountain — many of them are set up to make it difficult or nearly impossible to fill a liter bottle more than a little bit, so I shuttle water via the smaller cup. Works fine, takes longer, and is a bit messy, but it’s only water.

Sometimes the restaurants have self-serve soda fountains and I’ll fill up at the water dispenser on those (not taking soda, just flat water). Or I’ll ask my server at a sit-down place if he or she could fill my water bottle for me.

78. Aresef says:

Soon, every base ticket will include a roll of duct tape and a comfy seat on the wing. Oh, wait, you want to be inside the cabin for your $500 airfare? Sorry, that’ll be another $50. And you want a seat cushion? And a seat belt? Another $100.

So will you be checking any baggage?

79. JustaConsumer says:

No worries for me. I will never fly on US Airways.

80. Syvergy says:

Ahh America. Soon they’ll be charging you for use of the swingdown table.

Even the low cost airlines here (in Australia) supply water for free, and the normal ones provide unlimited non-alcoholic drinks and/or bottled water on the flight.

81. basket548 says:

@Ein2015:
    Ah yes. Thanks for linking to all those stories where somebody died due to a policy of an airline.

@Nick1693:
    Should they have? And how is that their fault even if they did notice it?

Yes, there are some very stupid policies and people out there. But nobody would allow a death due to non-action.

82. adrian666 says:

Haven’t had to buy water on a plane yet, but apparently all the bottled water sold in the little gift stores around the international departure gates sell explosive water. I’m talking about the gates located in areas where all the passengers have already gone through 2 security checks to reach. I took a flight last year and at the gate security was forcing everyone to surrender their bottled water – all the same brand, same size, from the same little stores that are located in a secure area. Just thrown in to big bins, most of them unopened. On the off chance that any prove to be non explosive, then maybe US Airways now takes those bins, puts them on the plane, and then….they wouldn’t, would they?

83. kenoyer says:

Plan ahead, bring your own water! I don’t get free water in a movie theater. Everything consumable on an airplane costs money, we should have to pay for it. I’d love to pre-pay for a nice meal and drink rather than get pre-package menagerie of things if a meal is served for free. However, if the plane is delayed for any reason, then all of the pre-paid stuff should be free to the passengers.

84. jamar0303 says:

Northwest doesn’t do this. Go fly with them instead. Please.

And to all the “but I already have my ticket booked” people-

Have your ticket info, take it to the Northwest check-in counter on day of departure, and have the gate agent look up “G ATO BUMP”.

85. Xerloq says:

It’s not an issue of morality, because morality is subjective. It needs to be a legal question, and it is not illegal.

It’s stupid, though (and yes that is my subjective opinion).

86. hulksmash says:

i guess we will be able to figure out how many us air employees read the consumerist from this poll

87. Tekneek says:

If you are not allowed to bring your own water, then they must provide a reasonable amount of free water for each passenger. Since they seem unable to comprehend this situation, perhaps they are going to force government regulation back into the picture.

88. Truthie says:

USAirways calling ANYTHING “not classy”? Probably the best example of the pot calling the kettle black I’ve heard in a while. Heck, compared to USAir even Hooters Air is a class act.

89. quirkyrachel says:

So if someone, say, a single mom of 2 trying to save money and couldn’t just bring water from home into the airport, got dehydrated and sick on the plane, would they then give them the water for free? Or would the flight attendants make them pay for it first?

90. Angryrider says:

They are charging you to use the bathroom during a flight right? No? Then they will.

It may be immoral, but it’s just legal. We could’ve done something about it, but we didn’t bother our Congressmen and Senators.

91. Dyscord says:

I don’t think the selling of bottled water is immoral by itself. It’s doing it while saying you can’t bring your own water, therefore requiring that you pay to get something drink.

92. sporks says:

It’s easy, guys. Just throw a couple of packets of lemonade mix or crystal light into a clear water bottle and put it in the same bin you put your shoes in. Then, the TSA people see that you have a clearly empty bottle of water (as demonstrated by the packets inside) and they don’t try to search your luggage because they see a terroristic bottle inside your backpack. It’s sad I have to do that kind of setup, but the TSA workers from smaller airports quickly understand and realize the point of it. Bigger airports? Not so much.

Though, in DCA they almost confiscated my snacks after deciding my comb and a tub of play-doh looked rather threatening in my backpack. I guess all USAir has gotta do now is convince them that somehow, snacks and empty water bottles are threats to airplanes and then they’ll have their profit secured.

Luckily for me, I signed up for AirTran’s reward program and intend on staying loyal since the program rocks and doesn’t nickel and dime me for extra stuff. They even forgot about the extra baggage fee when I checked in online!

93. meg9 says:

I didn’t think about this until I read this article, but yes I have to think that it should not be legal to take a hundred people into the sky and not have free drinking water available. If you started choking on your 3 dollar snack packet, would they really not give you anything to wash it down with because you couldn’t shell out another 2 dollars?

94. PurplePuppy says:

@basket548: They may not be so stupid as to make it corporate policy, but that’s almost never how the big fiascoes go down. My money’s on a newly hired batch of employees who were never told they have discretion with company beverage policy. They’ll stick to their guns, someone will get hurt, and US Airways will apologize and “take it very seriously.”

95. snoop-blog says:

I’ll put my hard-earned money on it that if they offered little plastic cups of free water, and sold $2 bottled water, they would still sell more $2 bottled water because people never cease to amaze me.

96. VeiledThreats says:

@sir_eccles: it is potable, in fact, out on the jetbridge, the hose we fill the plane with is labeled and called “potable water”. The holding tank in the plane is mostly clean, but it’s been known to have…problems. Let’s just say I wouldn’t drink it despite it being mostly safe. The water used to make coffee is poured into a tank above the galley using large bottles of water from catering, extras are also brought on board that they should offer for cup pouring for free, my airline did.

97. xthexlanternx says:

Is this also like the cocktails and earphones to watch the in flight movie that you’re supposed to pay for but I’ve never had to because the stewardess winked at me and said not to worry about the fee?

98. Jon Mason says:

Seriously, when are airlines going to do what they clearly need to and JUST RAISE YOUR PRICES. If you can’t make enough profit on a $200 ticket that you have to add $50 fuel surcharge, $25 checked baggage fee and now charge me $2 for a fricking water, then the ticket is too cheap – Make it a $300 ticket and advertise the fact that you, unlike your competitors have “free drinks and no hidden fees”.

99. balilanai says:

Raise each fare by $5 and give free water.
    OR
    Serve tap water. Who said we need bottled water.

100. girly says:

free Alum Snacks â„¢ for everyone!

101. starbreiz says:

@farcedude: There was a recent story about someone having their aluminum water bottle confiscated, as they also had a homemade battery, and it “looked like a bomb”.

That said, my dad always takes empty plastic bottles with him to fill at the drinking fountain.

102. starbreiz says:

@masonreloaded: When was the last time you got a $200 ticket? My cross country tickets average $500-$600 and my Christmas ticket, bought months ahead of time, ended up costing about $1000 – for coach!

103. Ein2015 says:

@basket548: Here you go, Sarcastic Sam… [www.foxnews.com]

104. jbrecken says:

I think the best way to protest this would be to bring the kind of collapsible 5-gallon water containers they make for camping, and then fill in the airport before getting on the plane.

105. Most.Lopsided.Vote.Ever.

Water has to be free – but not a glass to drink from!

Flight Attendant: “Cup your hands or lean back your head, and I’ll pour it right in.”

106. Wait, better solution: $2.00 per ticket Water Surcharge!

107. ZekeDMS says:

@kenoyer: Movie theatres have free water fountains, the same can’t be said for airplanes.

108. @farcedude:

“Cir-sum-vent – ahh, the ol’ reach-around.”

/GOB

109. screwtapeletters says:

For the love of gourd don’t fill your bottle in the sinks in the bathroom. It goes in potable but that sticker is there because the holding tanks could be contaminated.

They test and clean the tanks every time the plane lands, but do you want to be that passenger that drank the water on the plane before it landed and failed its potable water test?

110. Jackasimov says:

@cordeliapotter: I flew to Japan and didn’t realize until later that I hadn’t urinated (or felt the need to) in two days. I know…TMI, I just thought it was relevant.

111. P_Smith says:

This wouldn’t be such a big issue if the ridiculous TSA rules on liquids didn’t exist. Anyone with a brain, who has done the research, knows that the “mixed chemical threat” is a lie. (Oh wait – we are talking about the George Putz administration….)

On the lighter side, I found this website today by someone who claims to be a TSA employee….

[tsanazis.com]

True or not, it’s funny. And sadly, much of it is true.

112. Breach says:

This is bs to me. It’s water, a basic human need, and it isnt expensive.

I can respect a company doing what it can to save some money, but taking it out on your customers in the most ass way possible should be the very last option before filing a chapter 11.

113. Ninjanice says:

If airlines want to charge for every little thing they can think of, fine. But what I want to know is where are all of my credits for not checking luggage and not eating their snacks? I did save them money after all…

114. Jackasimov says:

Poll: Does Consumerist create inflammatory stories and polls to increase hits?

Vote below:
    Affirmative

Just kidding, CNSMRST, I love these kind of posts. No, on second thought, I need them.

115. KatieKate93 says:

This reminds me of my rave days. Dance for six straight hours and then have to pay $4.00 for a bottle of water – is it any wonder there were always kids drinking from the bathroom taps?

116. Kitteridge says:

Since the act of flying is a dehydrating experience, by requiring customers to pay for water is in fact potentially putting them in danger.

It may not be immoral, but it is unethical. Water, by request, without a snooty “well, if you MUST” attitude should be guaranteed anywhere, especially on a plane.

117. HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak says:

@OmniZero: You may be unfamiliar with how airplanes work… they don’t have drinkable tap water on board. In fact, their restrooms have warning signs explicitly telling you not to drink the water.

118. bearymore says:

Check out the on-line version of the Merck Manual, [www.merck.com]

Here’s the relevant portion:

“Dehydration while flying is common because of the low humidity in airplanes. Dehydration tends to affect older people and people with certain medical conditions, such as diabetes and disorders requiring treatment with diuretic drugs. The main symptoms are light-headedness, drowsiness, confusion, and, occasionally, fainting. Dehydration can also cause dry skin. Dehydration can be prevented by drinking fluids and by avoiding alcohol and caffeine.”

So, airplanes are a particularly dry environment which exacerbates dehydration which can bring on serious health issues. Making passengers pay for water is essentially holding them hostage. Immoral?? It’s kidnapping!

119. HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak says:

@kenoyer: Again, movie theaters have water fountains by the bathrooms. Planes don’t.

120. bearymore says:

@HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak: In the old days, maybe 10 years ago, I recall that airplanes had water dispensers by the galleys. Passengers could walk back and get a drink at any time during the flight. So, while the bathrooms may not dispense potable water, potable water is available.

121. moogieman says:

@prag: Agreed. Thats how I fly, carry on only, bring your own food ( I usually bring fruit, crackers, etc) and a big ass empty water bottle.

Airlines should work on getting us from point a to point b, not being a flying restaurant/junk peddler/mass suitcase carrier in the sky. They are in a hard spot with gas prices and all that cooling equipment, racks and carts there just to sell you a cold sprite and a shitty meal doesn’t quite make sense like it did in the ‘heyday 70’s’.

People seriously complain a lot, probably because the are used to being pampered with free stuff. Just to put in perspective, flying is in itself a luxury. Not too long ago people didn’t have flying as an option. Airlines are finding themselves having to take away the freebies because like much else in our world economies, its not realistically sustainable.

We should just be charged by weight, luggage and all. That said, water should be the ONLY thing that is given on a flight. If they want to sell other stuff and it makes good business sense…fine!

122. dragonpup says:

According to the TSA’s website, you can bring aboard an unlimited about of water if you have a ‘disability or medical condition’. If you have any prescriptions that you take with water, bring the pill bottle and a bottle of water along.

123. In the immortal words of W.C. Fields:

“I never drink water; fish fuck in it”.

I think they should give everyone free booze.

124. 104 people actually voted that people should have to PAY for something they need to SURVIVE?

Let me guess…104 rich people. Or water company shills.

125. dequeued says:

I think it is wrong to charge a “nominal” fee for something extra, that doesn’t actually cost you anything to produce.

Cell phone companies do this all of the time, they often charge an “activation fee” just to push a button.

Charging for tap water, which is essentially free, is absolutely wrong.

Many people say that these overcharges are acceptable because they may subsidize more expensive goods or services.

I say bullshit!

The only legitimate reason a merchant would do that is to try to smuggle charges in later.

126. Tallanvor says:

See, there’s a reason I’m flying a European airline (some of the asian ones are even better, but what can you do?) instead of an American carrier when I fly back to the States for a visit a little over a week from now (honestly, family and their threats of disowning me if I miss my brother’s wedding!) I already have to put up with the hassles of security, so why should I deal with an airline trying to nickel and dime me to death as well?

127. lpranal says:

This may sound naive of me, but the last flight I was on, they wouldn’t take credit cards when someone tried to buy a bloody mary, and the person didn’t have cash. What happens if you forget to bring cash?

I was on a smaller regional jet that wouldn’t take credit cards- but I can think of plenty of other situations where you’d also be out of luck.

128. synergy says:

I’m going to guess that water you can use to wash your hands is good enough to drink. Otherwise, what’s the point in washing your hands if the water isn’t clean?

129. coren says:

US Air trying to give a lecture on classy is friggen hilarious

130. Wireless Joe says:

Is it too late for me to suggest bringing 10-15 empty bottles through security and filling them in the terminal, and then giving them out to people on the plane? If everyone did that, the airlines would still have to pay for the fuel to lug that water cross-country ,and they get screwed out of their revenue.

131. I don’t mind paying for services that I need which are above and beyond the norm.

Gosh darn my sis should pay for her 180 lbs of crap that she flies with.

But water?

This is getting extreme. How about charging a buck or two extra across the board and giving us free water and other basic beverages.

I know, I know, the really cheap arses only price out the basic product and don’t take into account the services that may be provided for a slight premium price.

132. Major-General says:

It isn’t a morality question. It might be an ethical question, but I doubt it. My question is: Do you get an actual bottle of water, or a cup of water?

133. VeiledThreats says:

@screwtapeletters: They don’t test and clean the tanks every landing, not even every week. There are random samplings taken for water borne bacteria, but it’s pretty random. The water that goes in is fresh and I’d drink it form the hose, but the tanks…no. We had to stop providing water service on turns after a while so they could pinpoint whether the contamination was from the station servicing the plane at night or a tank problem. Please don’t use the water in the lav if you value your GI system on any aircraft from any airline.

134. Scalvo2 says:

I had to trade my bottle of water for the TSA persons mini bottle of water at the beginning of the line. At the end of the line, i was told I wasn’t aloud to have the mini bottle of water that the TSA worker gave me.

135. c_gaun says:

The last time I flew Air Canada, at least 4 years ago, I’m pretty sure they had a similar sign by the sink. This was before all of the rate hikes, and numerous fees.

136. D-Bo says:

@fostina1: My thoughts exactly…

137. Seattle Times: A United Airlines flight bound for San Francisco from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport was forced to make an emergency landing after a row of seats gave way during takeoff and slid into the row behind it, injuring one passenger.

Perhaps we need a “screw fee” to ensure our seats are actually attached to the plane…Way to be creative United!

Wasn’t there a bit of a scandal a few years ago because the airline water they were serving was so contaminated?

138. QitarahQuail says:

To all those posters who say that the airlines are justified to do this
    because they can save weight- How much weight is going to be saved if
    every passenger is forced to bring on a couple litres water in their
    hand luggage? Also deep vein thrombrosis in planes is reckoned to be
    aggravated or caused by dehydration – roll on law suits

Stephen

139. SinisterMatt says:

@morganlh85:

Then how do some fast food establishments legally charge for water? Unless you drink it out of the tap in the bathroom, or stick your head under the soda dispenser thing. Just wondering.

Cheers!

140. usa_gatekeeper says:

Are we supposed to tip the coach cabin staff when we buy a cup of coffee???

141. Tekneek says:

@dragonpup:

Why do you have to have a medical condition? Do they think terrorists can’t have medical conditions as well? Not that the TSA exists to prevent terrorist activity anyway, since it is just security theater.

142. Tekneek says:

@SinisterMatt:

When Burger King starts locking you up for three or four hours and taking you 30,000 feet into the air, you might have a point.

143. CapitalC says:

Next up: load your own luggage or pay another $50.

144. Tekneek says:

@synergy:

That’s like assuming the water you swim in must be clean, since you’re putting your body in it. Washing your hands after using the toilet is a good idea, even if it isn’t clean enough to drink. There is a big difference also from having water on your hands and putting it inside your body.

145. Tejas says:

this is just one unethical thing airlines do. charging for water is disgusting. they don’t know how long i have been traveling. i could be on the final leg of a 24 hour journey for all they know.
    heres another situation i’m in – i have booked QANTAS flights, leaving australia going to NYC. the routing is BNE – LAX – JFK. on the return journey JFK – LAX i have been booked on american not a full service airline like Qantas is. i’m not happy.

146. usa_gatekeeper says:

How long is it going to take a sharp marketer to realize the publicity gold mine just waiting to be ‘tapped’?

Scenario: “…YY Company has agreed to pay for all water consumed on domestic XX Air flights … their logo and promo info will appear on every bottle, plastic cup and napkin … you’ll also receive a free brochure with the free refreshment.”

147. u1itn0w2day says:

Flying should not be an ordeal.Passengers aren’t cattle or an overnight delivery.Build the price into the ticket.The nickel and diming is petty,annoying and NOT honest pricing.

It’s not like your dropping tokens into a meter then finding a seat:with a slurpee or coffee in hand.

To top it off airplane air is some of the worst if not dry.Beverages are almost a necessity at this point.Someone pointed this out but the less people that wind up flying from petty crap will in turn wind up increasing fares in that no one will want to fly.

148. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Water..$2.00
    Blanket..$5.00
    Pillow…$8.00
    Use of the toilet…$10.00
    First bag…$15.00
    Second bag….$50.00
    Sober pilot….$75.00

Arriving at your destination alive…priceless..at least until next week when the price will be increased to $100.00.

Yes, charging for drinking water is immoral.

149. @u1itn0w2day:

Unfortunately, the price of fuel is making the cost of operating an airline unfeasible given today’s legacy carriers, who have massive built-in infrastructure and labor costs. This is no one’s fault, but the fact that CEOs like Gerald Arpey are taking such huge paychecks to preside over the death of commercial air travel is sad.

Here’s why airlines in this country won’t survive without truly traumatic restructuring:

If you raise ticket prices much more, people will drive if possible or delay/defer trips. Business travelers will use WebEx, etc. In case you didn’t notice, the economy isn’t doing too well, the middle class has shrunk to a sliver of its former self, and businesses, being what they are, will cut and cut and cut unnecessary costs.

If you keep ticket prices steady and the price of fuel continues to escalate, you must cut services and raise revenue by selling previously free, necessary services. This water fiasco is a poorly-guided attempt to do exactly this.

If you were to lower prices, you hasten the death of the traditional domestic carriers.

Right now, airlines are continuously hemorrhaging money. They can’t do that forever, unless Bush hands over more of our tax dollars to them.

150. BOO_BOO_HOFF says:

I don’t think this policy is going to last too long. US Airways just started it August 1st. I fly weekly between PHL and ATL, and on yesterday’s flight they announced the charges. When it came time to roll the cart down the aisle to dispense the drinks, that’s exactly what they did. I don’t think the cart stopped once from the front of the plane to the back.

Not a great revenue generator.

151. tweemo says:

I answered yes in the poll even though I wouldn’t say it’s “immoral” not to give free water. It’s just a bad idea, especially when you can’t take your own water on the plane. Yes you can bring an empty water bottle and fill it up; I’ve done it before. But water can’t possibly be a huge expense and to not give it just shows that the airline doesn’t care about customer service at all.

152. HykCraft_Returns says:

I flew US Airways back in June/July — glad I flew then instead of now — what a ripoff to charge 2 bucks for soda or water.

153. poornotignorant says:

Another venue that is not allowing water bottles in is NFL stadiums, at least in Philadelphia. They don’t even allow empty water bottles! I can’t imagine their justification for that. I have an SRO ticket for an early September day, how much am I going to be forced to spend to stave off dehydration? I don’t know how much they charge for a cold drink – and I’ve been told that in the past they have run out of bottled water before the end.

154. @masonreloaded: That’s pretty much what Southwest is doing with its ads now. They do an ad with $69 fares and then add in all their competitors fees, it ends up at $131 or so. Pretty effective advertising….

Stupid question – why is Southwest able to still run effectively and profitably when airlines like United and US Air can’t? It can’t all be union health care plans…

155. MomInTraining says:

I love that the airlines now warn you in their flight magazines about Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), also known as Economy Class Syndrome. And what is one of the best ways to avoid DVT? Drinking water! [www.usatoday.com]

The airlines dodged a liability bullet a few years ago on DVTs, hence the informative articles in the magazines. But wait until someone who doesn’t have cash on them dies of stroke from DVT after staying thirsty for a cross-country flight. They may decide that free water beats the law suits.

I personally do bring an empty water bottle and fill it in the terminal. Some terminals have disgusting water however, so if you have high water standards, you may have to pay handsomely for better water no matter what.

156. scamps says:

There is a difference between regular tap water and airplane tap water. It’s known to be extremely filthy, and there are no EPA regulations on it.

157. basket548 says:

@Ein2015:
    A bit late, but….

STILL not a death attributable to an airline’s incompetence. This is the movement of an already dead body.

158. Meathamper says:

Fuck yeah it’s immoral! Cabin dehydration is very common, since it’s dry as hell in there. People who need water (I mean really NEED water) have to pay to save their own lives? I’m surprised US Airways hasn’t charged people to use seat belts.

159. centraal says:

Regardless of whether it’s moral, it’s bad business.
    It’s time to open up U.S. domestic routes to foreign competition and, if necessary, let hopeless airlines like U.S. Airways die instead of bailing them out with billions in taxpayer dollars.

160. MorrisseyTheCat says:

TO EVERYONE:
    See beyond the trend of airline hate du jour and take a moment or two to educate yourselves on the inner workings of the system, and WHY things are done (believe it or not, not just to inconvenience or deprive you).
    First, airlines have to pay for bottles of water, just like cans of soda…now, instead of passing that cost onto their employees in terms of MORE pay cuts, they do what every other business does and pass it on to the CUSTOMER. People are not helpless, and as someone already said, you are more than welcome to bring an EMPTY drinking container through security and fill it with water at a water fountain past security prior to boarding.
    Anyone who claims to have worked for an airline and says there are containers for drinking water is LYING. Any tanks of water on the planes are NON POTABLE water (can NOT drink) because it is in a tank that just SITS there and never gets cleaned (now if you want to debate about how well that washes hands, then you have a clue..hence why many FAs use hand gel). Anyway, that is not the subject here… Just as you bring diapers for your kids, know to bring your meds in the first place, KNOW the rules of flying from the TSA site before you leave as you should, there is no reason why you can throw an empty drink container in your carryon. This is just the BASIC common sense part of the subject…
    Now for the more life threatening part (no it isn’t your convenience of someone providing your needs FOR you)….LIQUIDS being brought by Joe Public past security. As clueless as security often seems (often because they don’t need to explain to YOU why they do seemingly inane things) MANY MANY efforts have been thwarted by TERRORISTS (yes they ARE out there, for those living in Obama’s happy place) trying to take down planes (and have SUCCEEDED IN OTHER COUNTRIES) with seemingly innocuous liquids. I am actually surprised they even allow 3 oz, because it doesn’t take much (again don’t expect details for OBVIOUS reasons).
    Read and learn to gain just a TINY bit of understanding:
    [www.npr.org]
    I’d much rather be “inconvenienced” having to bring a water container than the PROVEN alternative that can be prevented. It’s not about cool trendy airline hate, it’s about the world we now live in. Don’t like it? Drive…Keeps me safer on my travels.

161. MorrisseyTheCat says:

Your easy guidelines:
    [www.tsa.gov]
    [www.tsa.gov]

all questions you have are likely answered on the site.

162. Meg Marco says:

@The Standard Deviant: That’s basically my favorite movie.

163. MorrisseyTheCat says:

@Mary Marsala with Fries: Perhaps it is another option, that there are only 2 black or white answers, rather than the alternative answer choices of
    “people should bring their own refillable water bottle,”
    or
    “airlines should retrofit ALL of their planes to accomodate POTABLE water tanks, and pay a cater/cleaner to come onboard every flight, thus passing 0n those costs to passengers.”

There would be less disparity in a poll that takes other than extremist choices into consideration

164. screwtapeletters says:

@numberoneasa: Express Jet does. It’s a new program implemented by one of my family members because the charter-sized jets have smaller tanks, and it’s been a good way to start working on that problem.

Believe me, his blackberry goes nuts every time a plane tests positive for bugs.

165. bagumpity says:

The next time I fly, I am going to bring a few empty 2-liter bottles with me through security. They’re not liquid. They’re clear. Security should have no issue with them. Then I’m going to fill them up at the nearest water fountain and put in a couple of those kool-aid singles. Shakey shakey, and I have a tasty cool beverage.

Country Time, Kool-aid and the other vendors of these sorts of “drink-mix in easy single packet” products should advertise this in a Menthos-style commercial. Traveller with bottle of soda tries to get through security. Gets refused. Pours out soda. Takes empty bottle through security. Fills bottle and makes drink mix. Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-wah! Country-tyme, the Fresh(beverage)Maker!!!

166. Nick1693 says:

@Trai_Dep: Ghetto Water.

167. usa_gatekeeper says:

@BaysideWrestling: RE, “…why is Southwest able to still run effectively and profitably when airlines like United and US Air can’t?…”,

I believe it has mostly to do with well timed fuel price hedge contracts. May be other factors too, but this is the big one.

168. coolkiwilivin says:

@farcedude: I already do that. This is just ridiculous on top of ridiculous. I typically fly united, I already pack my lunch and bring 2 empty nalgene bottles. For Pete’s sake, all I want is to drink some coke with my sandwich and NOT pay $8 for coke. If they would charge reasonable rates behind security then I could have more sympathy but when they game the system(you can’t bring in liquids, they run the food services behind security, they control what’s sold on the planes) then no deal.

169. Tekneek says:

Sure, the terrorists are out there. It is also true that TSA is more about show than anything else. They are a front designed to put on a display of control/authority. Whether science supports their claims or procedures does not matter, because it is all about making travelers “feel” safe and nothing more. Other agencies may be doing a lot of work behind the scenes to prevent future terrorist attacks, but the TSA is not one of those.

170. Tekneek says:

@usa_gatekeeper:

Southwest actually planned wisely for the future. Somebody there has great business sense. The others try to conduct business as usual, siphoning all extra dollars out of the business, and then are surprised when they aren’t prepared for a spike in fuel expenses.

171. HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak says:

@bearymore: I flew earlier this year, and my plane didn’t have a drinking water dispenser on it. I’d venture to say that they’ve gone out of fashion.

172. secgeek says:

This is ridiculous… The airlines are the only industry that can stay in business without giving a rats ass about customer service… “Uhm.. We cancelled your flight just because we could”.. “Great can I get a voucher for a room?” “No because we aren’t obligated to provide you a place to stay”

I travel often for business… Hate American because they left me stranded more then once… Now they charge for everything… Fine, reimbursed expense… But charging for water when we pay upwards of 2k for a ticket is ridiculous. Fuel Prices have always been expensive in other parts of the world.

173. dafountain says:

As long as they make it clear going in that there are no freebies, I don’t think it’s immoral. Shitty, yes. Crap like this is why I stick with Southwest. I know that isn’t an option for everybody, however.

174. @MorrisseyTheCat: Name one flight brought down by a liquid explosive since 9/11. One.

175. Anonymous says:

This puts passengers at jeopardy.

176. MorrisseyTheCat says:

@BaysideWrestling: You obviously didn’t read the npr link in my post or you’d know. RTFP then reply

177. cyr3n says:

“immoral” is not the right word. Refusing to allow another human being water (a vital element for survival) while they are in captivity (at the airline’s mercy as to when they’ll be let off the mothership) unless they pay a fee (or jump)….. that stinks of torture and extortion to me.

If this is allowed to go on, just think.. some marketing genius will get chart happy and go “hey, if we feed them salted peanuts and then delay our takeoff by 25min.. we can increase our water sales by xxx dollars!”

178. cyr3n says:

remember that horrendous story about the girl that got jizzed on by the dirty old man that was sitting next to her while she was sleeping?? I wonder if the stewardess’ would charge her for water to clean herself up. Charging for water is just such a post-apocalyptic cliche.. ie: fly the friendly skies with MAD MAX AIRLINES!

179. MistahFixit says:

I’ve been to resteraunts that have done this. Repeatedly. Mind you, they were greasy fast-food burger joints, which is a strike against them to start with, but I digress. The story would go down something like this:

Myself: Hi, yes. I’d like (insert generic burger combo of your choice)
    Cashier-Type Person: Okay, and to drink?
    M: Just water.
    CTP: I’m sorry, what?
    M: Water?
    CTP: I’m sorry sir, I can’t do that. It’s against store policy.

IT’S AGAINST STORE POLICY. Oh well, I guess I’ll just pay for your overpriced gallon of caffiene and be on my way. The first time, I just shrugged, chalked it up to it being “The New Guy”, and walked off.

The second, Third, and FOURTH times? At the same chain? I stopped buying my midday meal from them at that point.

What kind of store deprives its customers of a basic necessity to live?

Wendy’s of Canada. :3

180. xilofone says:

It is beyond immoral to not provide another person with water when you have a ready supply of it and they have no other chance of getting it.

It is one of the most basic responsibilities that people have to each other. Even Arizona, a state where personal responsibility is pretty highly respected, has a law requiring that you provide water to anyone who knocks on your door asking for it.

The situation on a plane aggravates this to the highest degree.

You can’t just count on bringing your own water on. Of the 5 or so times I have flown in the past year, on one of those occasions Continental took my unopened water that I bought immediately next to the gate.

I still think it’s wrong to not let someone bring what is obviously just water into any place. It is a necessity of life.

I have the highest contempt for laws that prohibit drinking of water in public places, and could possibly result in imprisonment if you are caught. In train stations that are routinely over 100 degrees, you’re not allowed to posess an open container of water. That’s a law I will happily ignore, and hopefully end up in front of the Supreme Court, protecting mankind’s access to drinkable water.