Verizon Suspends Door-To-Door Marketing In Delaware Thanks To Masturbating Salesman

Yesterday, we told you about a outsourced door-to-door salesman who was soliciting for Verizon when he was caught masturbating while watching a woman work in her garden. He’s been charged with two counts of “lewdness, resisting arrest and criminal trespassing,” and now Verizon tells us that they’ve suspended all door-to-door marketing in Delaware until they’re done investigating the incident.

Verizon tells us:

“Verizon is aware of this incident involving one of its vendors. We have zero tolerance for violations of the law and hold our vendor responsible for the actions of its employees. Out of respect and concern for our customers, Verizon has suspended D2D in DE until further investigation is complete.”

(Photo: Jay Adan )

Comments

1. BillyShears says:

Door-to-door sales is awfully…quaint. I have a hard time believing it’s still actually done in 2008. Maybe it’s just the city in me, but I know if someone I neither know or expect comes knocking on the door claiming to be selling phone service, I assume “this guy’s out to rob/murder” someone and ignore him.

If he persists I call the cops.

2. mmstk101 says:

Maybe they can suspend ALL door-to-door marketing? Everywhere? Or, ask their vendors politely to stop hiring outside-gardening-watching-masturbaholics?

Or are they trying to imply that something like this would only happen in Delaware?

3. KyleOrton says:

In other areas of the state, lewd outside-gardening-watching-masturbaholics have temporarily suspended activities lest they be confused for high-pressure DSL salespeople.

4. “…Masturbating Salesman” – now that is a headline you won’t find in any major newspaper! Long live the blogosphere!

5. ChuckECheese says:

@BillyShears: The quaintness has returned because of the do-not-call list. Almost nobody sold anything on my doorstep in the 90′s. Now door salespeople are around a couple times a month at least.

6. KatieKate93 says:

“Mrs. Parker just don’t know”, indeed.

7. sir_pantsalot says:

The masturbating bear sheds a tear at this news.

8. MercuryPDX says:

Can we have some Salesman masturbate over here in Washington?

9. Puck says:

I guess you could say that they “jerked all their door-to-door salespeople off the streets”

10. GMFish says:

“Door-to-door sales is awfully…quaint. I have a hard time believing it’s still actually done in 2008.”

My boss still has a milkman making deliveries in his quaint neighborhood.

11. krispykrink says:

So, the commercials are true. Verizon customers have creepy dudes following them around jerking off.

12. snoop-blog says:

How come female salesman aren’t so bold.

And Meg we’re still waiting for a pic of the woman in the garden. Who knew Consumerist readers were so perverted?

13. snoop-blog says:

Maybe he could work for AT&T so he could reach out and touch someone…besides himself.

14. Nighthawke says:

Charter subcontracted out for D2D in my area. We’re VERY rural and VERY knowledgeable in who lives where.

One sales rep claimed to a fellow that neighbors down the road from him had cable service.
    Farmer, without blinking “Son, ain’t no one living down that road save for my cattle”.
    Charter quit doing D2D shortly afterward.

15. Whitey Fisk says:

Be thankful he didn’t have that whole Verizon network with him.

16. stang says:

Creepy new slogans for Verizon to use….

Can you “FEEL” me now? ….Oh, Ohh, Oooohhhh.

Verizon, coming soon to your neighborhood.

Come try the fastest network….

17. stang says:

Here’s some creepy new slogans for Verizon to use…

Can you HEAR/SEE/FEEL me now? Oh, Ohhh, Oooohhhh.

Coming soon to your neighborhood…

Come try the fastest….er, nevermind….

18. stang says:

new slogans….

Coming soon to your neighborhood.

Can you HEAR/SEE/FEEL me now? Oh, Ohhhh, Ooooohhhhh yea..

19. MayorBee says:

Wanks a lot, Verizon!

20. RickinStHelen says:

Verizon takes this very seriously. While we are happy that our contract vendors are excited to show our product to new potential customers, we have suspended door to door sales until we can come to a conclusion on how to prevent such an event from reaching such a climax in the future.

21. SkokieGuy says:

Sorry Snoop, MayorBee and the others, excellent efforts, but I vote Puck for the win on this one.

22. varro says:

@segfault: From MST3K’s “Hired!” – “The Pantsless Salesman”? “The Piddling Peddler”?

23. varro says:

@krispykrink: Can you hear me nooooooow, oooooh! Good!

24. stang says:

Come test drive the worlds most reliable…..

Verizon…. Cumming soon in your neighborhood.

25. bohemian says:

@BillyShears: Companies should dump door to door sales all together. Most of the door to door salespeople we get are either methed up runaways peddling magazines or from crazy fundamentalist churches trying to convert people. Not exactly the grouping most major companies want to be associated with.

Door to door sales is a bad idea today. People are more suspicious of strangers due to the increase in home invasions by similar tactics. Fewer people are home during the day since most are gone at work. When people are home at night they are probably less open to interruptions for an unsolicited sales pitch because they are trying to get all the things done they didn’t do because they were at work for 8-12 hours.

They need a “do not call” list for homes.

26. MasterThief says:

Can you get me a towel now?

Good!

27. RabbitDinner says:

Now if only the Jehovahs could suspend door-to-door marketing, er, preaching.

28. lingum says:

That broad obviously had it coming, look at how she was dressed.

29. Michi430 says:

How come Verizon (or anyone else) isn’t disclosing what company actually hired this guy? I know of a company that has a contract with Verizon for door to door sales, and somebody should expose (haha) their deceptive MLM-type policies, but I’m too lazy to read the new comment policies to find out if me doing it is kosher.

On a different note I just spent an hour driving to two different Verizon wireless stores trying to find someone who WANTS to sell my the new cell phone I want to purchase. (I refuse to give my business to sales people that don’t care.)

30. prisonplanet says:

I hate salesman who jerk me around … wait, that didn’t sound right.

31. Cary says:

My compliments to Verizon for taking a “hands on” approach to reach a climax in the investigation.

32. Riddler says:

@KatieKate93:

At least he didn’t get knocked the f*ck out.

33. FLConsumer says:

I wish Verizon would stop their door-to-door sales in Florida. I’ve been getting one of their salesholes leaving crap at my door at least once a week since they laid fiber. I’ve tried to chase them off with the nice big “NO SOLICITING” sign at the entrance to the development, but they claim they can peddle their wares because they’re a utility.

34. AgentTuttle says:

CALIFORNIANS: Advertising (fliers) on private property without permission from the owner or leassee is a public nuisance and misdemeanor. (penal code 556.1)

Any restaurant, construction company, handy man, painter, gardener, etc. who advertises this way is telling you that they are NO good. If they were, they would succeed by word-of-mouth.

It’s spam, but worse because it’s tangible! Oh and it’s litter and everyone knows when you’re not home.