Yet another example of why DRM sucks: Yahoo! is shutting down their music store. Don’t worry, all you have to do is burn all that music to CD then re-upload it to your computer. As Ars Technica says: “Sure, you’ll lose a bunch of blank CDs, sound quality, and all the metadata, but that’s a small price to pay for the privilege of being able to listen to that music you lawfully acquired. Good thing you didn’t download it illegally or just buy it on CD!” [Ars Technica]

Comments

1. theblackdog says:

I thought I read these people could move their songs over to Rhapsody and it would be fine…

2. TheHans says:

Burning the music only works if Yahoo! doesn’t somehow lose your old Musicmatch licenses along the way (I have 31 songs that are FUBAR’ed right now) and errors out every time you attempt to reacquire the license.
    I’m done with it.
    @theblackdog: You *should*, but I’ve yet to test this, as they haven’t sent out anything to customers on how this will work. If it’s as ‘painless’ as moving from Musicmatch to Yahoo!, I think I’ll just eat the cost and start over with iTunes. ARRGH.

3. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

iTunes? Go with Amazon MP3 – no DRM at all, less money than the iTunes ‘plus’ tracks w/o DRM.
    Actually I’ve been buying CDs from Amazon marketplace for almost nothing to get the one or two songs I want, then I donate them or trade them at the used CD place.

4. Diet-Orange-Soda says:

Simply put, quit buying DRM’d music.

5. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

@doctor_cos: True. Too bad it’s relatively new and those wanting to stay legal at that time that chose Yahoo are learning the hard way.

Friends don’t let friends buy DRM’d media.

6. HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak says:

Simply put, quit buying DRM’d music.

@Diet-Orange-Soda: THIS.

7. snoop-blog says:

I quit buying music as soon as I found out about mp3 chat rooms on aol. In fact, I used to run a server program myself. Mainly I do it because cd’s are crap. There’s no way to safely handle a cd when in a car. By that I mean, when your trying to drive and put a cd in the case the proper way you are still bound to scratch it to the point where it won’t play. I’m sorry but I refuse to spend money on something made so shitty. When cars start coming factory with mp3 players, then maybe I’ll start buying music again.

8. lingum says:

“Simply put, quit buying DRM’d music. “

QFT

9. xwildebeestx says:

if you MUST “legally” acquire digital music, use the emusic.com service. they have a deal with sony MP3 players that allow you 100 free songs when you sign up and all you have to do is cancel online (completely automated, no AOL-type hard pitches) before the 30 days is up. Best part is that you can recycle the offer for each credit card you sign up with.

10. xwildebeestx says:

I should add that they’re all mp3 format and have no DRM at all.

11. ameyer says:

Now this is how you steal music…

12. Orv says:

@snoop-blog: I find your justification for not paying for your music to be pretty flimsy. If you were worried about damaging a CD you’d bought, you could have just copied it and kept the copy in your car. Your choice was not between “risk scratching CD” and “steal music without paying for it.”

Also, FYI, many cars are coming from the factory with MP3 players now.

13. Orv says:

@snoop-blog: It’s not like your options are “bring fragile CDs in the car” or “take music without paying for it.” You can always keep the CDs in your house and make copies for the car.

Oh, and there are cars that come with factory MP3 players, now.

14. Orv says:

Argh, sorry for the double post. It looked like Consumerist had eaten the first one.

15. TheHans says:

@doctor_cos: @Diet-Orange-Soda: @Applekid: @xwildebeestx: Thanks for the options – I’ll definitely have to do some additional research! I’m already an Amazon junkie, so that would make things that much easier…

16. Geekybiker says:

@Orv: Not to mention the CD changers that were available for a decade or more before mp3.

Its just a weak justification to be a pirate. When I didn’t like the situation with music, I just didn’t buy it. My radio works great, and now I can get DRM-Free music from amazon.

17. snoop-blog says:

@Orv: @Geekybiker: flimsy or not, I sleep just fine at night knowing I cheated larz out of a golden hot tub…

18. wesrubix says:

CDRWs baby.

19. bohemian says:

Again trying to be legal sucks. No good dead goes unpunished.

20. GinaLouise says:

I’ve been thrilled with Amazon’s music service. The format is the classic MP3, so I don’t worry about services shutting down or licenses and whatnot. You can download their “download manager,” but I find it easier not to. I just click, save to my desktop, presto. And they do this awesome thing where they make 1 featured album available for a special low price. It changes every day, but today I got Nina Simone’s greatest hits (like 10 songs) for $3.99. Legal, fast, easy, brilliant.

21. TWinter says:

I got a while back saying that Yahoo would be moving customers to Rhapsody in batches. I got moved about a week ago – it was pretty seamless and things seem to be working just fine.

22. Cary says:

Try listening to the other 90% of the music (technically the “least significant bits” when it comes to compression), from a real CD or vinyl, on a real audio system.

Amazing what “music” sounds like.

23. kable2 says:

do people still pay for music?

thats so 80′s…..wait in the 80′s i copied tapes.

24. Trai_Dep says:

@doctor_cos: Spit out the Hatorade Koolaid, son. Reality has swept your out-of-date info asunder. The iTMS has had mp3, higher-bitrate tracks for over a year. Just as soon as the labels allowed it, Apple started offering them. And ALL tracks for $0.99, not some for less but the ones you want for more.

25. Trai_Dep says:

Although, that said, I get most of my music in the Amoeba used bins, usually double CDs from great DJs, then suck ‘em into my iMac then to my ‘pod. A great value, rewards the people that give me pleasure and I have an archive just in case…

26. dequeued says:

HAHA! Losers! You got exactly what you deserve!

I normally don’t bash people for making bad purchasing decisions, because we have all been there, but seriously.

This is what you get for doing business with the music mafia.

The music industry, even now, loves pissing on its customers, insisting that their distributors like Yahoo! use unstable DRM that will only last a few years.

Another flaw with DRM is that it costs money to operate long after you have made your sale.

THIS IS WHAT YOU GET FOR BUYING MUSIC THE “LEGITIMATE” WAY

I HOPE YOU LEARNED YOUR LESSON

I would never have to worry about being burnt like that I haven’t let the music industry have any of my money since about the time napster came out.

Of course this kind of stuff happens all the time.

Remember when Sony intentionally infected it’s customers computers with a trojan?

[technocrat.net]

Haven’t people learned that if you do business with the record industry, you will be punished… by the record industry?

@Orv:

Well, acording the the RIAA, copying a CD, ever, even if it falls under fair use, is “stealing”.

This is true; internally, the RIAA feels that if you rip your own cd that you purchased to iTunes, you are a thief.

Crazy, right?

Now being called a thief by them doesn’t seem to be as big a deal.

The RIAA didn’t invent fair use, it was forced on them by the government, and if it were up to them, they would nickel and dime you to death for every instance of you playing a song, and they would make you like it.

It’s very hard to feel bad about “stealing” music when you look at just how evil the RIAA sucks.

27. Angryrider says:

Attention: remember to burn as a MUSIC CD, not a DATA one.
    You’d have to wonder how many people don’t know how to do that, then again they bought into the DRM garbage.

28. SeanOHara says:

@Trai_Dep: iTunes DRM free selection is almost non-existent. Of the last ten albums I purchased from Amazon, only two were available DRM free on ITMS, and those were two dollars more expensive than Amazon.

29. BlazerUnit says:

@snoop-blog: Download Audiograbber and find a good sounding stream on Songza. Record, and repeat.

30. ludwigk says:

@Trai_Dep: the iTunes music store uses MP4 AAC, which is 20 years newer than MP3s

31. cerbie says:

@snoop-blog: why do you need to safely handle the CD in the car? Every time it becomes basically unplayable, it’s what, 30 cents…on a bad day? My car has a CD player (I don’t know of a MP3-enabled deck that plays gapless, anyway), and I use the media that goes on sale for it (currently Memorex, who always uses crap manufacturers). CDs are still the best value, and with hard drives at 6+GB/$, it’s not hard to find room for losslessly compressed files.