Personal Finance Roundup

The smartest advice I ever got [CNN Money] “40 great minds share the best money lessons they ever learned.”

100 Things to Do During a Money Free Weekend [The Simple Dollar] “One hundred fun ways to spend a money free weekend.”

8 Home Improvements That Pay Off [Smart Money] “The home improvement projects that offer the biggest payoff.”

10 most and least expensive cars to insure [Bankrate] “Stay away from small, fast cars.”

FREE MONEY FINANCE

(Photo: me and the sysop)

Comments

1. Other reasons for Buick’s and Ford’s not costing insurance companies much, only old biffers buy Buicks or with so few sold, they cant run up that high of a bill for damages.

2. milk says:

I drove a 94 Buick Regal in high school and the first two years of college, and my insurance was still only $50 a month despite my age (and a few tickets I didn’t even bother fighting).

Ironic my picture’s pinned to this post considering how dire my current financial situation is. -_-

3. howie_in_az says:

An Escalade is more expensive to insure than a Ferrari or Lamborghini?! Surely they’re just talking about mere mortal automobiles…

Before I got my BMW 330i I had a Subaru WRX. I saved $60/mo by getting into the Bimmer, even though they both have the same horsepower. The Bimmer is, of course, a ‘proper road car’, but the WRX was a shitton of fun to drive fast around tight corners. I’m not sure how much the insurance will jump when I finally get a BMW M3 coupe, but by then I’ll be married, so maybe it’ll even out in the end :)

4. jumbo pongo says:

@howie_in_az: I’m not sure how much the insurance will jump when I finally get a BMW M3 coupe, but by then I’ll be married…

And soon after that, you’ll be trading in your M3 for a minivan!

5. harvey_birdman_attorney_at_law says:

The “8 Home Improvements” link brings up an audio program automatically. BOOOOOOOO!

6. howie_in_az says:

@jumbo pongo: LIES AND UNTRUTHS!@#!@#@!#

Don’t jinx me.

7. iMe2 says:

From the first article:
    Dave Barry
    Humor columnist

I got my best financial advice when I was 16. I met this kid who was only eight, but he seemed smart, and he said, “If you give me $5, I’ll invest it in a company I plan to start someday. In return I’ll pay you 10% of the profits.”

That young man was Bill Gates. I’m sure he’ll remember this, now that it has been revealed in a reputable magazine.

8. UnicornMaster says:

@8 Home Imporvements that Pay Off:

They pretty much named everything except “Home Theater” and “Pool”.