I will be in a roundtable discussion guest be on KCRW’s “The The Point” at 2:10 PM eastern today. You can listen here by clicking on the “LIVE” link at the top left, or tuning into your NPR affiliate station if they carry it. We’ll be talking about the economy, the growing pressures on consumers, the grocery shrink ray, and what, if anything, you can do about it.

Comments

1. egosub2 says:

Warren Olney is like a god.

2. jscott73 says:

Yoda, is that you…

3. stupidjerk says:

sent from ben’s iphone

4. MissPeacock says:

@jscott73: LOL!

5. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

@jscott73: I 2ND THAT LOL!

6. noi56u says:

Meant 3:10 PM ET, Ben must’ve.

7. Wormfather is Wormfather says:

I’ve been thnking. Ouch.

Anyway, I’m not mad about the Grocery Shrink Ray, it is in fact a product of the market. The supplies are costing more, so to insure their survivability they either need to increase retail costs or reduce the amount that we receive for a specific amount of money, the average person, when forced to make a choice would, imo, take the latter. It’s easier to make that salad dressing last for 10 salads as opposed to 9 than it is to pay $0.25 accross the board for food stuffs.

Now a more important issue is this buisness I hear about the Cookie Monster changing the lyrics of his song to “C is for carrot…” Can we get someone on top of that bullshit, tyvm!

8. Trai_Dep says:

@Wormfather is Wormfather: Could be worse. They asked McCain what to use instead of “Cookie” and he offered, “Cun…” Well, you know.

9. RAREBREED says:

“I will a”

10. Xerloq says:

@Wormfather is Wormfather: I shouldn’t think on a Thursday afternoon.

I think I’d rather have the cost of the product itself increase. The big motivator for me to make salad dressing last is how much I pay for it, and not how much is in the bottle.

For me the shrink-ray is a huge ‘WTF?!?’ when the dressing runs out on the 9th salad because I didn’t notice the packaged product was actually less than what I’ve been purchasing.

The upshot of this is that perhaps I don’t buy the salad dressing and find a cheaper alternative. That’s how the market is supposed to work – Prices increase causing consumer behavior to change which companies see and become more efficient so prices come down.

On the other hand, if ‘raw material’ costs go down but consumers are still buying the shrunken products, I don’t believe they would reduce prices to the pre-costly levels because consumer behavior hasn’t changed.

There’s my $0.02, or $0.03 or whatever it is now with inflation.

11. Jay Slatkin says:

You can hear Ben here if you select the July 24th show and skip ahead 23 minutes into the program.