Microsoft Left A Sheet Of Stickers Inside My XBOX 360

Of all the good places to store a sheet of stickers, “inside someone else’s refurbished XBOX 360″ is fairly low on the list. Maybe even at the very bottom. Unfortunately for reader Nick, Microsoft appears to be using his XBOX as sticker storage. Read Nick’s letter inside.

So last week I sent my Xbox 360 to be repaired due to the RRoD, the 2nd time it has happened since I bought the system in November 2006. It initially RRoD’d around 9 months after the purchase date, then was sent in and repaired. It started freezing again last week and then RRoD’d, and I sent it in for repair #2. I just received my system back today and started looking through the vents to see if it was a 65nm Opus repaired system, and then realized somehow there was a piece of paper with labels on it left inside of my system. I’ve called support now, had my case escalated to level 2 while speaking with a supervisor (who had never heard of this happening before), but was told I will not hear back from them for 48hrs.

Nick sent a bunch of pictures taken through the vent holes of his XBOX. This is the clearest one. Looks suspiciously like a sheet of stickers to us. Whoops. Guess the surgeon left a sponge inside, huh?

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Those are heat dispursing stickers!

2. courtarro says:

It looks to me like he could get a nice pair of tweezers to roll and pull the stickers out, himself.

3. If it’s any consolation, it was going to break again anyway, stickers or no.

4. mariospants says:

“not fish: snake!”

5. Letsgohokies says:

I don’t know if I have just been extremely lucky or what, but I have a launch 360 that has never red-ringed or had any problems for that matter. When I bought it, the fan in the power brick was very loud, which MS sent me a brand new one. It seems everyone I know or read stories of has had a RROD.
    (knock on wood)

6. carso says:

@courtarro: It’s a good idea, but I have never seen a set of tweezers small enough to fit through the vent holes in a 360. :-(

7. unpolloloco says:

Seems like a great place to store stickers – It’ll break in a few months, at which time MS can retreive them.

8. chenry says:

everyone loves free stickers. Except for Nick, apparently.

9. rgshredder says:

future prediction: within 48hrs an ebay auction will be set up for “XBOX 360 factory stickers. One of a kind. Includes xbox 360….buy it now: $5000″

Another future prediction: within 72 hours, 200 more ebay auctions will be established selling the same item for $2500.

10. MasterThief says:

“Did you see a sign out in front of my XBox that said ‘Dead Sticker Storage?’”

11. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

@MasterThief: XFD!!!

12. adamsummers says:

Ugh, mine is sitting in Texas getting repaired now. I’ll have to keep an eye out for any “bonuses” when I get it back.

13. WEGGLES90 says:

@courtarro:
    Psh, the holes are smaller than a pencil, you’d have to be REALLY good with tweezers, and have really small tweezers to do that. You could probably send it in, have it repaired and back before you could get it out with teeezers :P

14. tc4b says:

Are those serial numbers? Can he hold them for ransom? “Fix my unit or I’ll publish these numbers on my blog,” or something like that.

15. m4ximusprim3 says:

“Of all the good places to store a sheet of stickers, “inside someone else’s refurbished XBOX 360″ is fairly low on the list. Maybe even at the very bottom.”

Am I the only one who’s first thought was “What about Nick’s rectum?”

16. utensil42 says:

@m4ximusprim3: No, the 15 year-old boy part of me thought the same thing.

17. Techguy1138 says:

This doesn’t really matter. The unit works as long as it continues to work there is no reason to freak out.

This isn’t a surgery and stickers are unlikely to alter the functioning of the console. It still covered by a warranty and he can just send it in again if there is an issue.

He actually may be better served keeping this unit. There are reports of some units coming back from repair pretty much cursed. These were broken units that were fixed only to be sent to someone else and go back to MS broken. You are in possession of a well working xbox360 and might as keep it.

18. Takkun says:

@m4ximusprim3: Dammit, now that’s all I can think about!

19. PinkBox says:

That’s sad… he’s going to end up sending it in and having to wait 2+ weeks just to have some stickers removed.

20. Average_Joe says:

It’s lean manufacturing. Those sticks are holding everything together. They are cheaper than screws.

21. jinnrice says:

curious..i took the faceplate off my xbox to put a different color on once…and noticed that there is a sticker..i think its there to tell if someone has opened it yet or not…but my sticker is halfway off…will this void my warranty? n how long is the warranty?

22. Luis says:

@The Count of Monte Fisto: That made my day.

@adamsummers: Mine too. Just last night. It was my third to die

@Techguy1138: With the name Techguy, I would imagine you of all people would know how hot that xbox gets. Melted stickers on the motherboard? That’s a smell at least, a fire at worst.

23. TechnoDestructo says:

@Techguy1138:

In a system that is known for heat issues, anything that could impede air flow is something you’re better off not having in it.

24. zero2dash says:

(I sent this in, it’s my 360.)

-The sticker sheet was resting against the cpu HSF; turning it on = not a good idea

-Removing the sticker is impossible without taking the system apart which voids the warranty (something I don’t want to do).

-I received a call yesterday from Microsoft, they emailed me a return UPS label overnight and it’s going out with our daily pickup today. They’re also sending me 1 free wireless controller “for my trouble”. Sorry if I sound like I’m looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I hoped for something more substantial. I asked if instead of the controller, I could have a 12+1 month Live subscription card since mine is about to run out, and was told “I have a list of things I can offer you, unfortunately that’s not one of them”. Given that I have to ship the console back *again* (wherein the time wasted is more of a hassle than the fact that it’s no cost to me) and this is the 3rd time it’s been sent to the repair center, I’d hoped to receive a game, a year of Live, or maybe even a new system (especially since the one I received back with undoubtedly a fire hazard). I did ask to receive an Opus system back which is a 65nm Xbox 360 motherboard that fits inside of a 90nm Xenon case like mine (which does not have HDMI).

25. yashichi8bit says:

@MasterThief: Oh shit, that was a good one.

Thanx for the laugh!

26. FijianTribe says:

At least this time it would have caught on fire and burned your house down… you could have gotten a new house

27. Dyscord says:

@zero2dash

Well at least you’re getting it fixed and getting something out of it. You could always sell the extra controller.

Though you could have turned it on, fried the system and got a new system then.