Grocery Shrink Ray Hits Bausch & Lomb Contact Solution

Joe spotted this box of Bausch & Lomb Boston contact solution at his Target, another victim of the Grocery Shrink Ray. “Someone at Target wasn’t smart enough to change the original price label…4oz down to 3.5oz is significant when you are dealing with an everyday item like this at $7-7.99 per bottle,” he writes. Full pic inside.

Comments

1. snoop-blog says:

What I want to know is, are the generic versions also shrink their size?

2. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

What I want to know is, at what point is this not going to be shocking anymore? I mean, yes, this isn’t cool for companies to do…but it is what they do. And many do it. This is sorta like the price drops at Wal-mart that were actually increases. Interesting/funny the first time…by the 20th…

3. Sidecutter says:

Well, lucky for me, I don’t buy B&L contact products. That little incident they had with spreading, you know, permenantly crippling EYE FUNGUS made sure of that.

4. Shrink_Ray_Bandit says:

My time is Nigh! .5 oz eye ball juice… check!

5. SybilDisobedience says:

I’m a strict devotee of a certain contact solution brand: whichever one my boyfriend brings home from his job.

I’m dedicated to cheapness.

6. shorty63136 says:

I prefer the Target or Wal-Mart brands anyways. I don’t need the pomp and circumstance with the pretty box – just the (as Shrink_Ray_Bandit calls it) eyeball juice. Kthanks.

7. jjeefff says:

Is Ben pushing for an interview on Larry King?

8. yggdriedi says:

@shorty63136: Usually I buy store brands, but I definitely prefer the B&L conditioning solution (the product in the OP) to the generic Wal-Mart type. There’s a different viscosity – the B&L type is thicker and less likely to let my contact slip off my finger when putting it in.

But it’s also ridiculously more expensive in Canada – $13 for B&L, $7 for Equate generic. I usually end up just going with the Wal-Mart one, even though I do think it’s basically inferior, mostly because I can’t justify double the price for slightly more convenience every morning.

9. britne says:

I’d be the jerk that asks the salesperson where the 4oz stuff is, and if they’d discount the 3.5oz to match the unit price the shelf tag says…
    But yeah, shrink ray is getting old. >.>

10. BloggyMcBlogBlog says:

Should have shrunk it to 3 oz so you could bring it on a plane.

11. xerotope says:

Last time I was at the Optometrist, she told me that some people were having issues with the preservative used in the B&L “Re-Nu” type contact lens solutions. This applied to generics as well.

I guess this is another reason to switch to Opti-Free!

12. Geekybiker says:

Its not like contact solution isn’t criminally expensive already.

13. gglockner says:

Now if they made it 3oz, you could put it into your carry-on bag. 3.5 oz is completely pointless.

14. snoop-blog says:

@Geekybiker: Agreed. That’s why I switched to glasses years ago. Almost like thinking about a how much money a smoker would save if they could quit,… think about how much I’ve saved over the last 8 years by not wearing contacts. BTW, I get my glasses from zennioptical.com and have spent less than $40 on the glasses I’m wearing and have been wearing.

15. FLConsumer says:

@snoop-blog: Avoid the generics (and B&L ReNu) as much as possible. See [www.staininggrid.com] It appears that the ReNu formula (which is what most of the generics buy & re-label) causes micro abrasions to the cornea, far more so than other formulations out there.

ClearCare (home) & Opti-Free (travel) are the only ones I use. ClearCare’s the only one of the soft-lens solutions which is strong enough to burn your eyeballs, in other words, great disinfection.

Actually all of the “all-in-one” solutions have had recalls at some point or another because they weren’t all that great at disinfecting. Combine that with people not following the directions and you’ve got all sorts of bacteria and fungi living on the lenses.

16. AlphaWolf says:

Maybe someone can explain why any of the name brand solutions cost so darn much. It seems like there is a hidden tax on people with bad eyesight between the markups on glasses and contacts and solutions.

Thank God for Costco.