Why Most Organic Milk Stays Unspoiled Longer

An interesting sidebar in our “Is Your Milk Spoiling Faster?” discussion is why does most organic milk stay fresher longer? It’s not because the cows are free of bovine-growth-hormone and the commune-members sing them lullabies every night.

Rather, much of organic milk is “ultra-pasteurized.” This means the pasteurization process occurs at a higher temperature than just regular pasteurization. More bacteria get killed, and so it stays fresh for longer. Not all organic milk is ultra-pasteurized, and some regular milk is, so be sure to look for milk that says “ultra-pasteurized.” An exciting entry on the different kinds of pasteurization can be found here.

However, pasteurization removes both good and bad bacteria, as well as proteins and flavor. So, unless you’re gonna install a cow in your kitchen, or join the raw-milk underground, there’s going to be a tradeoff. Personally, I only use milk as a conduit for cereal so it doesn’t really matter what it tastes like, it just needs to not go bad within two days of purchase.

(With thanks to commenter VA_White!)

(Photo: amyadoyzie)

Comments

1. dianabanana says:

I was in Taiwan for a while, and the milk there tastes different than here in the US. It has way more of a milk taste. Wonder if more taste = less pasteurization.

2. SOhp101 says:

Supposedly this is also why our milk doesn’t taste very sweet–they choose the cheapest route of pasteurization to meet government standards which sacrifices quality and taste.

3. Wes_Sabi says:

The OU-D symbol is the Orthodox Union’s kosher symbol and has nothing to do with ultra-pasteurization. The D stands for dairy.

4. mantene says:

Wes_Sabi is correct. The image is misleading. That would be kosher milk, not ultra-pasteurized milk :)

5. Katxyz says:

If you only use milk for cereal or coffee, and take a long time to go through it, isn’t it more economical to just find an almond or soy milk that you like and use that? They usually cost a little more, but are getting less expensive, and if you take a long time to go through carton, you might as well get something that will take longer to expire. Silk soy milk usually lasts two to three weeks. The time used will negate the slight extra cost. Some soy and almond milks don’t even need to be refrigerated until opened, whereas milk has already started to age before you even purchase it.
    This probably isn’t an option if you really love the taste of milk and drink it plain, but it seems useless to buy a big jug of milk that will expire quickly if you’re only using a couple spoon fulls or less daily.

6. stanner says:

We use Horizon Organic milk and find that it not only lasts much longer, it actually tastes much better than other (non-organic) brands. I don’t know how it compares with other organic brands though.

We’ve found that the better taste even makes the skim version tolerable.

7. @Katxyz: One of my exs told me that you can freeze half and half, and it will not taste bad when thawed. I contemplated buying a half gallon, and freezing it in pint mason jars, but since half and half usually lasts for a month, and I did drink a half gallon in two weeks, I never did. I forgot to pick it up one time, and it was a few days before I could pick up more, and I learned to drink it w/o it now, so it’s a moot point for me.

8. Imaginary_Friend says:

Raw Milk Underground sounds kinda sexy.

If you just use milk for cereal, like Ben, soy milk and almond milk are good alternatives. Almond milk tastes way better, imho, but nothing beats the taste of an ice cold glass of cow milk with chocolate chip cookies. Yum!

9. Skiffer says:

So the organic fanboys are actually drinking the ultra-pasteurized, more processed, milk with less beneficial bacteria??

Sweet, sweet irony…

10. Imaginary_Friend says:

@Katxyz: Jinx. Exactly.
    It’s like buying really good vodka just for mixed drinks.

11. Tmoney02 says:

@stanner: It doesn’t compare very well. It is possibly a step above regular milk but not by much.

You can see how various brands of organic milk rate with this site.
    [www.cornucopia.org]

12. Tmoney02 says:

@Skiffer: more processed, milk with less beneficial bacteria??

Well to be fair I wouldn’t say turning up the tempature is “more processed” and I can’t say I have heard anyone talk about organic having “more beneficial bacteria”. Usually people are more concerned about growth hormones.

13. picardia says:

I drink non-organic Lactaid and it, too, stays fresh much, much longer than the lactose-having supermarket stuff. Does Lactaid also pasteurize at a higher temperature?

14. ratnerstar says:

@Katxyz: I don’t drink milk, nor do I eat cereal, but I do use milk for cooking. In general, can you substitute soy/almond milk for regular and get the same effect in a dish? If so, I’m totally there. I hate buying milk and having half of it go bad.

15. lockers says:

borden shelf stable milk can stay good for months if you don’t open it, no refrigeration needed.

16. Tmoney02 says:

@ratnerstar: You can definitely use soy milk. I don’t like soy milk but my girlfriend does and is lactose intolerant so we always have both. We always use the soy milk to cook with and I never taste a difference, even though I don’t like soy milk.

17. RoboSheep says:

I haven’t had a glass of milk in years, I hate the stuff.

18. crabbyman6 says:

@picardia: According to their site, yes it is ultra-pasteurized. [www.lactaid.com] I always wondered why my parent’s lactaid lasted for a month+, I always just assumed it had to do with removing the sugars in milk, I wouldn’t be surprised if this had something to do with it as well.

19. Gopher bond says:

I sometimes get raw milk at the farmer’s market. Nothing tastes better than that.

Other than that it doesn’t matter what we buy as far as expiration, we go through 2 gallons a week. Plus, I buy soy, almond, and rice milk because I like that in my oats.

20. Mom2Talavera says:

@stanner: Horizon milk is crap. Do your homework,Dean foods is a dirty company! Dont give them your money.

@Tmoney02: YES! I agree
    this is a great site.
    [www.cornucopia.org]

[www.animalsvoice.com]

[www.newmediaexplorer.org]

21. Orv says:

@ratnerstar: I’ve experimented a bit with this. Things like casseroles and instant mac & cheese that just use milk as a source of liquid work just fine with soy milk. The flavor is different, but not so you’d notice in most dishes. I wouldn’t attempt to use it for baking (the fat content is probably too low) or for any dish where you boil milk down to make a creamy sauce (like home-made mac & cheese.)

Another thing about soy milk is the flavor of different brands varies a lot. There are some brands I like to drink and some I just can’t stand.

22. ratnerstar says:

@Orv: @Tmoney02: Thanks for the advice!

23. rit says:

There’s a great episode of Good Eats [[www.foodnetwork.com]] which talked about all the diff. kinds of pasteurization. He did make arguments about it killing flavor…

Be it true or not, I’d rather my milk not spoil these days :)

24. friendlynerd says:

I only drink milk from a special “birthday party” farm where the cows celebrate all day. They are free to roam about the festivities at will, and only eat the highest quality baked goods. They are never scolded – in fact they are reassured hourly that they are the best cows, ever. When it comes time to be milked, they relax in special cushioned massage chairs.

I think that to drink anything else is just disgusting.

25. shefarted says:

@Git Em SteveDave is a poor substitute for LindsayJoy:
    Freezing anything in a mason jar is probably not a good idea, as it would expand and crack the jar.

Additionally, I think you mean it is a Moo point.

26. dangermike says:

I’m pretty sure most dairy, regardless of organic or not, is ultrapasteurized. A key component of the ultrapasteurization process is that while the temperature is run up a little higher than standard pasteurization, the time for which it remains elevated is short enough that it takes less energy to run ultrapasteurization. It allows a single plant to (a) process more milk in a given amount of time and (b) spend less per unit volume milk in that process. In a commodity product like milk, the margins are so low that bulk and efficiency are vital to maintaining a profitable business. The fact of the matter is that ultrapasteurization affects the taste of milk more than standard pasteurization but the difference is not noticable or at least not significant to most people.

27. Veeber says:

@dianabanana: I’ve had a lot more raw milk in Taiwan. I recall going to the store and they would sell raw chocolate milk. I couldn’t get use to it and would look for only the pasteurized stuff.

28. jeffjohnvol says:

I don’t like milk from those long haired pot eating hippy cows. :)

29. sixninezero says:

Raw is the only way to go. Take antibiotics for the sniffles and drink your pasteurized milk, don’t complain to me when your immune system fails and your allergies are unbearable.

30. Wally East says:

@ratnerstar: Also, you can use it to make ice “cream.” It’s just going to taste somewhat to very different.

31. failurate says:

@ratnerstar: Soy milk is definitely a no-go for cream or cheese based sauces and white gravies. It was an icky experience.

32. mariospants says:

“Personally, I only use milk as a conduit for cereal so it doesn’t really matter what it tastes like, it just needs to not go bad within two days of purchase.”

QFT.

Any word on the “micro filtration” version of milk? Does it last longer?

33. ElizabethD says:

Everybody preaching “soy milk” needs to know that people with some thyroid disorders cannot consume soy products. (And thyroid disorders, particularly hypothryoidism, are surprisingly common, especially in middle age on.)

34. @shefarted: Well, I wouldn’t fill to the brim, and as milk has suspended solids in it, I don’t think it would expand to bursting. I’ve frozen OJ in it’s original container, and it’s expanded, but never burst the paper carton. Now you’re going to make me buy .5 & .5 just to freeze it to see if it will burst a jar.

35. celestebai says:

Viva la revolution raw!

36. MissGayle says:

My great-grandfather owned a dairy, and we are part of the “raw milk underground” since we own a portion of a herd of cows and get a delivery of organic raw milk every week. We have never had any issue with raw milk going bad, even when there is still some milk left on the 7th night and we have to boil the bottles and have them ready to go back the next morning. The quality is incomparable – we buy a gallon of organic pasteurized milk most weeks for cooking and when you take a drink of it, it’s clearly lesser quality than the raw milk. (And you won’t believe how horrible non-organic pasteurized milk tastes once you get used to drinking the real thing.) Not to mention all the health benefits of real milk that dead milk simply doesn’t have. In most states in order to have or buy raw milk you must buy into a herd, a “cow-share” program, or other similarly structured CSA farm where you are legally a part-owner or shareholder. Usually you buy a share or two and then pay a maintenance fee for the care of your cow each month. For our herd, a share is a one-time $75.oo fee and the monthly maintenance per share is $30 and some change. For that we receive one gallon of fresh raw milk per share each week (four or five per month, in other words). I highly recommend everyone find such a program in their area. The health benefits alone are worth it.

37. angryblur says:

On soy milk, to quote Lewis Black: “Soy milk. That’s bullshit on a stick. There’s no such thing as soy milk. I know that, because there’s no soy tit, is there? I don’t know a lot, but I know you need a breast for milk. It’s soy juice; nobody’s gonna fucking drink soy juice.”

I do drink soy juice, the Asian kind that’s super sweet.

38. shefarted says:

@Git Em SteveDave is a poor substitute for LindsayJoy:

a) my youtube embed didn’t work, let’s try again:

+ Watch video

b) Cardboard isn’t glass (and despite my lack of physics education, I’m trying to communicate that the rigid properties of glass make it different than cardboard), which is why your OJ doesnt explode.

c) I would still be surprised if a mason jar, with the lid screwed on, that is only half-full of half and half wouldn’t crack. (Half full of half and half… there’s got to be something punny there…)
    My mom used to freeze full gallons of 2% in the plastic milk jug back when I was a kid, and the container would expand quite a bit as a result.

39. swimmey says:

Nothing the matter with Horizon organic milk.

Cornucopia Institute, on the other hand … their ratings reflect only which companies have paid to quote sponsor unquote their research. If you decline to buy a quote sponsorship unquote, their research mysteriously finds that you are speaking harshly to your dairy cows and not feeding them the yummy organic alfalfa they crave.

40. I saw 60 Minutes the other day and Andy Rooney was saying how dairy farmers dug their own holes selling all this crap people call milk. I couldn’t agree more. 2%, skim milk, whatever the hell they sell shouldn’t qualify as milk. The same happens with dairy products like most American yogurts and cheeses (I don’t even think they call Kraft Singles “cheese”). You want good dairy, go out of the United States.

41. Orv says:

@angryblur: I guess he probably doesn’t like coconut milk, either. ;)

42. failurate says:

@postnocomments: You are right, all things not American are better… mmm… queso fresco!

You know, you don’t have to eat the mass produced stuff. There are quite a few artisian style cheeses and other products available and made right here in the U.S.A. Of course, you have to pay for it and maybe even shop somewhere other than Wal-mart or Kroger to get it.

43. VA_White says:

@dangermike:

This is not true. Not every dairy uses ultra-pasteurization. Most dairies do not. A few dairies use the ultra-pasteurization process; Horizon is one of them.

But even Horizon doesn’t ultra-pasteurize ALL their milk. Their gallon jugs (available in my area of Texas) are processed with regular pasteurization and do not last the extra two weeks like their half-gallon cartons do.

I got really excited that Horizon was selling gallon jugs and when the milk went bad in six days, I looked at the label and figured out the difference.

You must read the label of the carton/jug and if you want the longer-lasting milk, it will specifically say “ultra-pasteurized” and not just “pasteurized.”

44. mschlock says:

I made a vegan cake once using soy milk and that was all I could taste in the finished product. Do not want! If I have to bake vegan again, I’m using the rice milk.

One thing about ultra-pasteurized *cream* in particular is it takes longer to whip. Ultrapasteurizing breaks down the fat globules, or something. My favorite whipping cream is just cream that’s pasteurized — good stuff.

45. desertdust says:

I say nothing less than Whole Milk. No soy, 2 percent, 1 percent, skim. I want all my fat. Years ago that was the only way to get it. Now people worry about fat in the diet but we have more obese today than ever. Get back to eating things that aren’t good for you. The comment earlier about allergies is probably right one the mark.

Soy milk makes my hed esplode.

46. bohemian says:

If you use a minimal amount of milk infrequently Horizon sells shelf stable milk in small drink boxes.

47. Nealjs says:

@Katxyz: Almond, soy and rice milk all taste really really gross with coffee.

48. thisisnotkathy says:

@VA_White: I saw that (texas for me too) and was all excited and then I noticed the expiration dates. The Horizon milk tastes a little better but the best part about it is that it doesn’t got bad for a month and I never have to throw it out! Opposite of the organic milk, HEB sells some “Mootopia” milk that’s something like half the sugar, twice the protein and no lactose compared to regular milk. Good comparison to the fancy organic ones, especially since I usually buy both :-p

49. VA_White says:

I really would rather buy local organic milk but I can’t find it. And we use so little milk that I need the UP milk because it goes bad later. I was tossing half-full half-gallons of regular pasteurized milk which was a big waste.

HEB has their brand of organic milk but it’s not UP milk. Ditto for Albertson’s. So Horizon it is, even if their cows do not live the idyllic pastoral life we’re supposed to imagine they do.

When we lived in Europe, we always bought the tetrapack shelf-stable Parmalat milk in the liter boxes. The nonfat was tolerable but the full-fat milk tasted burnt.

50. Imhotep says:

Almond milk is delicious in cereal, and the plain flavor is good in coffee if you don’t overdo it. Plus it’s much healthier (for you and the planet) than soy or cow nectar.

51. ludwigk says:

@dianabanana: This is probably a matter of what they’re feeding their cows. We feed our cows mostly corn and soy, but if their diet balance is different, that will produce different milk.

All those fantastic butters and cheeses that they make in Europe are from grass-fed cows, so the flavors become specific to the kind of flora that are in a particular region.

In Maine, the milk there was just exceptionally good. There was the normal brand, Oakhurst, which was so good that the first thing my GF and I would do when we got back from grocery shopping was drop all the bags, break open the milk and down a tall glass of “New Milk”.

For special occasions, when you needed to raise the bar (like making icecream), we’d get Smiling Hill Farm’s milk. Oakhurst was good, but Smiling Hill was unbelievably good. It was expensive, and came in glass bottles you had to wash and return, but you got what you paid for.

52. ludwigk says:

@ludwigk: Appendix:

Since moving to California 2 years ago, I’ve become lactose intolerant. I have no idea why. I blame it on a lack of Maine milk products.

53. GothamGal says:

What happened to the kosher symbol? It would help bring light to the fact that we are all paying kosher tax on almost everything that we buy and where that money goes.

54. Katxyz says:

@ratnerstar:

I’ve used soy instead of milk in baking with no problem. The only place where it might change the flavor is if you’re cooking something like a creamy soup or curry. I used it for canned potato soup once and it tasted awful.

55. HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak says:

Ultra-pasteurization is bad, bad juju. Kills all the flavor and most of the health benefits of the milk. It kinda surprises me that it’s more common in organic milk, since it’s one of those cost-cutting measures that all my vegan hippie friends assure me are done by the big factory farms and not by the organic “little guys”. Then again, I’ve always thought the whole “organic” fad was a meaningless label designed to maximize profits by preying on the stupid and gullible, so maybe I shouldn’t be that surprised.

Regular pasteurization is where it’s at. Gives all the benefits of pasteurization without any of the drawbacks of ultra-pasteurization. It’s also a longer, and thus more expensive, process, but hey.

56. JackHandey says:

How about powdered milk? I hear it is great if you only need a cup for cooking every now and then. Anyone tried this?

57. alice_bunnie says:

@shefarted:

Freezing in mason jars is fine as long as you leave enough head room for expansion. I do it all the time.

58. mrblahh says:

I havent drank milk in probably 10 years. I stopped because I thought I was getting lactose intolerant. A few years back I tried a glass and it tasted aweful and I loved milk back in the day. Over the 4th of July holiday we got to go on a dairy farm tour and they let us try some of the milk fresh out of their tank. If all milk tasted that good Id be a gallon a day addict…That stuff was unbelievably good

59. floraposte says:

On pasteurization/ultrapasteurization, it does sound like the labeling might not be crystal clear. While I’ve found an FDA reference to the requirements for labeling, I think it’s more setting standards for the size and kind of labeling you need if you’re making an ultrapasteurized claim, not that it has to be so labeled if it’s subject to ultrapasteurization. My guess is that the current law views ultrapasteurization as the more restrictive standard, so that it’s okay to have ultrapasteurized milk labeled just “pasteurized” but not vice versa–but that’s just a guess.

My favorite milk available around here is Farmer’s Creamery, which is unhomogenized, but for me it goes bad at very high speed, so I have to plan if I’m not going to waste it.

60. forgottenpassword says:

Hmm,I didnt know that. Sucks that there is a tradeoff. But I rarely drink milk alone… usually it is with something else that adds to the flavor (cereal, or chocolate as in chocolate milk).

61. superlayne says:

Horizon milk tastes so much better than the store brands my parents used to buy. Maybe I’m just an organic sheeple, but its just so much more creamy and flavorful.

62. mythago says:

@mschlock, pick up the book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. My vegan friends tell me it rocks. No idea whether the recipes use soy or rice.

You DON’T want to buy ultrapasteurized whipping cream; it doesn’t whip right. Unfortunately you may have to go to a Whole Paycheck or natural-foods store to find it.

63. Bill says:

I’m pretty sure that most milk has regular pasteurization. I’ve gone through the trouble of finding the ultra-pasteurized milk because it has a longer unopened shelf life, but the comment about it lasting longer after being opened is flat out wrong. Because the ultra-pasteurization kills more stuff, the milk doesn’t last as long on its own after being exposed to air again.

64. @VA_White: Milk in aseptic packaging (e.g. Tetrapak) would solve a number of problems, like the eliminating the need for chilled distribution and cooled storage. Seems like there’s value in buying a skid of milk and storing it in your garage for half a year.

But it seems that stores in the US resist this idea. What would bring you back once a week to buy more shit once a week if you only had to buy milk every few months? And are Americans ready to buy milk that didn’t come from a cooler?

Personally, I wasn’t a fan in Europe (probably because I was born and raised with American-style milk), but it sounds good on paper.

65. Bunklung says:

Hood makes a product called Simply Smart. This product is also ultra-pasteurized. This milk will last a MONTH after I open it! I think it tastes much better than regular milk.

66. Bunklung says:

@Bill:

I can’t speak for other products, but Simply Smart does have different packaging then most milk, it has a cap. It DOES last for over a month AFTER it’s open. That’s a fact and I have done it many many times. To be honest, I have never had it spoil on me, but I haven’t tried to drink it after 3 months either.

67. P_Smith says:

@dianabanana: I was in Taiwan for a while, and the milk there tastes different than here in the US. It has way more of a milk taste.

Milk companies in Taiwan put sugar in it, making it denser.

68. passionflower says:

@swimmey: got evidence?

69. newfenoix says:

I HATE MILK! And I don’t drink milk at all and haven’t since I was 9. I am 46 now. Cow’s milk is not very good for humans. It was made for calves. They is a multitude of medical research that proves milk is not good for people.

As for this “organic” stuff; the only way to have “real” organic products is to buy them raw from a farmer’s market or grow it yourself.

70. satoru says:

@dianabanana: This is generally true. As the article indicates bacteria is a key component of the taste of milk. This is why milk tends to taste like white water sometimes

71. @crabbyman6:
    The sugars are not removed- rather lactose is broken down into glucose and galactose which are two sweeter and simpler sugars than lactose (which explains why lactaid milk tastes sweeter)

72. SJActress says:

@JackHandey:

Yes, I use powdered milk for every recipe that calls for milk.

You just throw it up on the shelf with your flour and sugar. All you have to do is mix some with water, and PRESTO! You have milk. It tastes almost like regular milk, depending on the ratio you give it. I always add lots of powder to the water so the recipes are super creamy.

The BEST thing about powdered milk? I’ve had the same box of it for two years, and IT’S STILL GOOD!

73. baquwards says:

@ludwigk: I too noticed a huge difference in dairy when leaving Maine, I made ice cream with the local Maola brand here in NC, and it was bland and flat tasting, without any good dairy flavor or richness. I now go to whole foods and buy some local cream which is much more like what I got in Maine. Oakhurst had the best skim milk ever, it wasn’t blue looking and actually had some body to it.

74. irfan says:

@stanner: apparantly every company in the world is evil. i drink horizon organic as well, and love it. drink up.

75. @Imhotep: uhm just a heads up that using almond (or any nut milk) or soy milk in baked goods is a risky proposition for people with nut/soy allergies. Most people are lactose intolerant can handle the relatively small amount of dairy in like a piece of cake or a cupcake, the almond milk in that same piece of cake can kill them. If you substitute regular milk for other milks you really, really need to inform people.

76. welsey says:

@Orv: I once used vanilla silk (sweet/flavored soy milk for those unfamiliar) in macaroni and cheese. It really wasn’t as bad as you’d think but it wasn’t good, surprisingly sweet vanilla is not a nice accent flavor to processed cheese powder.

I only drink milk with tea/coffee and used to have milk go bad on me all the time in the UK, even when I bought those tiny little plastic jugs that I think were just a pint (or something close). I couldn’t drink it fast enough. In the states I buy 1 or 2% non-organic whatever brand is cheapest in half gallons, and I’ve never had it go bad. I’ve thrown out the tiny remainder of a gallon of milk after two-three weeks because I felt that was too long to have milk around for, but it never seemed to be properly off. I don’t trust it.

77. MrEvil says:

@sixninezero: You do realize that before pasteurization that raw milk was the source of 40% of food borne illness? While you can prevent alot of milk-borne illness with proper sanitation you can’t prevent illness that comes from the cow being ill itself. Illness like undulent fever. It’s treatable with antibiotics BUT using antibiotics on cows kills all the bacteria that are VITAL to making cheese and yogurt.

Secondly, Anti-biotics have saved alot more lives than they’ve harmed. The real source of our problems aren’t the anitbiotics themselves but quack physicians prescribing them when a patient doesn’t even have the slightest need for them. If it weren’t for penicillin I’d be dead right now.

@newfenoix: Multitudes of research? All I can find online saying that milk is definitively bad is just some doctors going “Milk is for baby cows, not people” and using that as the sole basis for their conclusion as if it’s some scientific fact.

What I can find mounds of research on is given the alternative beverage choices milk does provide nutrition versus drinks that are nothing more than sugar mixed with water and coloring. Chocolate milk is also far less harmful to you than stuff like Red Bull or monster which is loaded with more caffeiene than coffee. Coffee might not be as bad for me as milk, but I can’t stand the taste.

Bottom line is, I’d be less worried about my kids drinking milk by the gallon than I would be about them drinking cokes in the same quantity.

78. mrearly2 says:

Processed milk is not good for us.
    See: [curezone.com]
    Also: [www.notmilk.com]
    And: [www.mercola.com]

Pasteurizing destroys enzymes, diminishes vitamins, denatures (damages) fragile milk proteins, destroys vitamin B12 and vitamin B6, kills beneficial bacteria and promotes pathogens. Pasteurized cow’s milk is the number-one allergic food in this country.
    Pasteurization has been associated with a number of symptoms and illnesses ranging from diarrhea, cramps and gastrointestinal bleeding to heart disease, cancer and arteriosclerosis. (Exerpt from somewhere)

And then, there’s homogenization.

If you’re determined to drink milk, choose raw milk, or forget it.
    For those who are concerned about becoming ill from raw milk: if the dairy farm maintains clean, healthy animals and facility, illness from the milk should not be a worry.