Personal Finance Roundup

Where to Find the Best Savings Rates [Smart Money] “Here are the five highest yields with the fewest strings.”

How to get rid of your folks’ stuff [MSN Money] “It’s natural to be overwhelmed by emotion and your parents’ lifetime accumulation of things. Use these ideas to save time, your sanity and your family relationships.”

The best way to take a pension [CNN Money] “A life of monthly checks usually beats a big lump sum.”

Save Thousands on Your Medical Bills [Kiplinger] “Don’t let a big IOU ruin you financially. You have more ways to cut the price than you think.”

20 ways to get the most from auto premiums [Bankrate] “There’s nothing sexy about auto insurance.”

FREE MONEY FINANCE

(Photo: Mike Deep)

Comments

1. theblackdog says:

I think I’ll send the “How to get rid of your folks stuff” to my dad. He’s been following a few of these tips already for his mom, but it can’t hurt to put a few more safeguards in place.

2. bonzombiekitty says:

I’m really happy I bank with FNBO Direct.

3. battra92 says:

Yeah, I really am looking for a replacement to my essentially zero interest on my savings account. Since the money I put in there requires some liquidity I’m too hesitant to put it in the market (that’s what my 401K is for anyway)

4. PurplePuppy says:

Remember to check out your local credit unions. There’s 4 of them around here with checking account interest rates of 3.25% to 6.00%. I think they must be in a price war.
    Also, I HIGHLY recommend using the “BankRate” tool in the article to check financial stability of either banks or CUs.

5. battra92 says:

@PurplePuppy: Already did. The highest for under 25K is like 2%

6. Orv says:

@battra92: Check some of the online banks. ING Direct is still paying 3% on savings accounts.

7. oyvader says:

Pension? What is this pension of which you speak?

8. battra92 says:

@oyvader: Get a job at a utility company. That’s all I’m saying.