KFC Hands You Biscuits And Says "Here. This Is Just So You'll Get The Fuck Outta' Here!"

Reader Diana has always had small problems at her local KFC store in Los Lunas, NM. but never of this magnitude. After Diana returned home with her food, she realized that KFC had forgotten the biscuits. Because Diana lives nearby and is a fan of their biscuits, she returned to KFC to retrieve her missing food. Instead of a helpful and apologetic employee, she spoke to a rude and sarcastic employee who was convinced that she had included the biscuits and believed that Diana was liar. Diana recounts her conversation, inside…

On July 4, 2008, my guy and I decided some KFC extra crispy was in order, so we visited our local store. Now, every time we’d tried to order there in the past, there was always something wrong. Either they didn’t have any extra crispy at all or they were out of biscuits– lack of preparation it seems to me. I convinced my guy that this time it would be error-free. I was so, so wrong.

After ordering our meal and driving to the window, we were informed that lo and behold, they were out of certain cuts of extra crispy (thighs and legs I think). But, the manager on duty was quick to supply extra pieces of original as compensation. Cool. At home we discovered there were no biscuits. We were both starving, but since we lived so close to the joint I thought we could just drive though with our receipt, get what we paid for, then go and eat.

At any other establishment, we could have done just that, but this guy was unprofessional and irrational and would not give us the biscuits. At no time did he ever concede that his crew could have made a mistake. He insisted they “remembered” our order and had given us the biscuits. He was rude and tried to make sarcastic comments like, “Your chicken’s getting cold.” What does that even mean?! Of course I would rather be at home eating it, you jerk. He told us we could have other people at home that we’re trying to get biscuits for and that we would be surprised at how many people come through there looking for freebies. Proper customer service does not include telling irate customers they are wrong, simply because others are liars. Besides, the way we were treated those people were most likely telling the truth! Anyway, we refused to leave without what we paid for, he ignored us, customers were leaving the drive thru, we were yelling, “We want our biscuits”– it was ridiculous, man.

Finally, after at least twenty minutes, he shoved the biscuits at us saying, “Here. This is just so you’ll get the fuck outta here.”

I was livid. And my question to you is: What sort of chain-of-command exists in franchises? Are the owners the end of the line? This manager was the owner’s son, so I’m thinking there’s really no punitive action there. What kind of supervision do these franchises have, or can they just operate in whichever neglectful manner they please?

I would appreciate some help with this, Consumerist, because this was unacceptable, and I just want someone with authority to help them understand that.
Thank you.

If you can directly contact the owner, that would be a good first step, but there’s no telling if he would blindly support his son or be extra-tough with him. Occasionally, we’ve noticed that when some customers go up the chain-of-command at food joints, there is sometimes a person who actually seems to care a little. If this happens, consider yourself lucky. You can also fill out a customer comment on KFC’s website here. Additionally, they list their “Customer Satisfaction Number”–perhaps, it should be the customer dissatisfaction number: 1-800-225-5532. Good luck!

(Photo: kevindean)

Comments

1. harleymcc says:

“Your chicken’s getting cold.”

I’m telling all my CSRs to use that phrase from now on….

“My laptop is broken.”

“Your chicken’s getting cold.”

2. MisterE87 says:

I used to live in Los Lunas. Though I never went to KFC, I had a very similar experience at Lotaburger in Belen. Jerks shorted me two chili bowls, then called me a liar when I called them on it. They kept insisting I must have left them in the car – Hello! Idiot, trust me I would not be arguing with you if you had given me what I paid for. The manager was very rude until I threatened to do a chargeback on my credit card, at which point she told me to come in to pick them up. I ate, was full and went back for the chili bowls. Yeah right – like I’m really going to eat them now! I picked them up off the counter and “accidentally” dropped them both on the floor, causing quite a mess. The bitch of a manager was livid. Best $6 I ever spend.

3. afrix says:

Blaming the OP here.

You always have problems at this KFC. Problem number one: you don’t bother to get out of your car, go inside, and watch them make the meal and actually talk to them face to face. It’s amazing how often face to face changes things.

You always have problems at this KFC. Problem number two: you don’t bother to check your order before leaving.

You had a specific problem at this KFC. Problem number three: you went back over and STILL didn’t bother to actually get out of your car and go inside to straighten it out.

You know, when I have a problem with my bank, I don’t go to the drive through to straighten it out.

If you’re SO lazy you can’t be bothered to get out of your car, even after numerous problems at this location and especially after a specific problem, and you’re trying to fix the problem AT THE DRIVE THROUGH, while sitting on your butt….

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

@afrix: I agree face to face solves problems sometimes. I know I would’ve parked just to save the damn gas. But don’t yell at them because the customer service was crappy and they were honestly trying to fix it. There’s never any reason a manager should curse at a customer unless they start it first.

4. ReidFleming says:

@afrix: You certainly are blaming the OP. I can’t figure out why, though. You’re acting as if this is some huge deal that needed to be ‘handled’ as if it were actually a bank transaction. Drive through — KFC forgot biscuits — Oops, I’ll just go back through and get them. This should not have been a big deal whatsoever. The only thing I’d likely have added is perhaps a comment to the snotty worker like, “Hey, If I was gaming this system, would I have just spent more money in gas driving back here and waiting in my car than the biscuits cost?”

5. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I would have gone inside, too. They’re less likely to mouth off at you and give you a bad time in front of a house full of other customers. They can say anything they want to if it’s only drive-thru.

6. afrix says:

A lot of little problems all add up to one big problem. This is a known problematic restaurant.

Getting OUT of the car to avoid and/or straighten out a problem is just not a big deal, but so many people just refuse to do so–and then whine when the world doesn’t go perfectly as they sit in their cars.

Frankly, yes, saying “oops, I’ll just go back through THE DRIVE THROUGH, where they have cars in line and a protocol for taking money in order and giving out food in order, interrupting that, and messing with the $3.50/hour employee who will be thoroughly confused by some random car coming up and asking to straighten out an order that happened half an hour ago”–yeah, that’s a big deal. The drive through isn’t prepared for that, and isn’t the appropriate place AT ALL for something like this.

People, get out of your cars. When you go to a place that you KNOW is problematic, get out of your car. Go inside and watch them prepare the food–it’s right there for you to see. Stand there at the counter and check your order before leaving, and get it straightened out there.

When you KNOW the place always gets something wrong, you have an obligation to check it out before you leave. If you don’t, you’ve given up the right to whine about the results.

It’s like Taco Bell. Just come to accept whatever they hand you in the bag at the drive through. It’s probably not related to what you thought you ordered, but what’s the difference? Just accept it. It’s probably close enough.

In fact, EVERYTHING at Taco Bell is close enough. I’m not sure why they even have a menu. The wrapper is either soft or hard, the meat is either brown or white, and there are some veggies and cheese involved. Whatever. Just give me two foods and a drink, thank you very much.

7. snowburnt says:

step one to getting good customer service is being a good customer in the first place.

Did you antagonize the manager when you initially placed the order? and I’ll second afrix

8. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

I must agree with the others, check the order before you leave. Even when I’m behind folks in the drive through, it doesn’t aggravate me when you check your order before you pull through. (It does aggravate me when you can’t be bothered to hang up your cell phone and order. If you don’t know what you want, don’t sit in front of me and stare at the board while gabbing on your phone.)

Our local KFC has done nice things for me in the past, and have been quick to correct any problems which may occur.

9. jumbo pongo says:

I really hope you didn’t actually eat those biscuits! lol

10. stanner says:

Everyone blames a customer for bothering to ask for the full order, and expecting civil employees? The consumer expectations have really been lowered here.

11. iMike says:

Why would you eat something as disgusting as a dead, fried bird, and insist upon accompanying it with biscuits that have the nutritional value of cardboard?

12. Consumerist-Moderator-Roz says:

@afrix: Afrix, please review our comment code. To wit: “Please, suggest alternate courses of action, or add important information that might help others or that we missed. Don’t attack people.”

In other words, make helpful suggestions – don’t call the consumer names (e.g. lazy).

13. evslin says:

Now check to make sure they didn’t pee in your biscuits…!

14. chrisjames says:

If it was too late, then the drive-through may have been their only option. I agree with checking your order before pulling away, if only to make things easier on everyone when they screw up.

And they will screw up. Have you ever seen fast food employees in the back. I mean, actually studied them working? You really can’t tell the difference between them and the mentally handicapped employees (and there’s often at least one to compare against).

Let KFC corporate know. They may not care, but it all vanishes in the noise if they don’t even know. Now is also a good time to experiment with new eating habits.

15. selectman says:

@Consumerist-Moderator-Roz: I appreciate moderation being used to ban outright abuse of all kinds or trolls trying to hijack threads, but he did offer a suggestion here – that the OP not use the drive-through.

I can’t help but feel like any comment that is remotely critical of the OP is now subject to wrist-slapping. I know there’s a large gray area, but the point is to engender a thoughtful, helpful discussion right? This type of thing feels a bit stifling.

16. Hate to blame the consumer but, “Now, every time we’d tried to order there in the past, there was always something wrong.”

You lose, good day sir!

In all seriousness, to avoid this in the future, just check the bags before you even pull out of the lot. That way there is less likelihood of being accused of grand theft biscuit, and it saves you time and heartache.

17. mgy says:

@iMike: Dead fried bird is amazing. Where in the world are you from?

18. Communist Pope says:

Like others, I’m really flabbergasted that anyone would try to fix an incorrect drive-thru order by going back to the drive-thru instead of going into the store. Maybe I’m a jerk, but that decision really indicates an extreme level of laziness to me. And yeah, if you’ve had problems at a drive-thru every time you’ve ever gone there, why would you not double-check the order before leaving the parking lot?

That said, even extremely lazy, illogical people deserve good customer service (even if their asses are permanently attached to their car seats), and the manager’s reaction was completely out of line. I find the best way to put the kibosh on drive-thru errors is to simply check what they give me before I drive away. Even if you have to check 20 orders, it’ll save you a lot more time and/or disappointment then discovering the mistake once you’re down the road.

19. I don't get heart attacks, I give 'em says:

@afrix: it makes you wonder why they acted like jerks. it might have something to do with their frame of reference being so much higher than the people in their car.

if i towered over someone complaining, i doubt i would give it much concern, especially if they were concealed from the rest of the general public.

20. Apeweek says:

To quote Joe Pesci (one of the Lethal Weapon movies), “they always screw you at the drive-thru.”

Everyone has had this happen to them. So, even if you get stared at, stop and examine the food before driving off.

21. Dr. Eirik says:

I’ve had mixed experiences with stuff like this. There are three KFC’s within driving distance of my house. At one I’ve gotten ill each time I’ve eaten there, all three times. At another, they get my order wrong every time, in the store and drive-thru, they get my order wrong. I eventually stopped going to both locations and so far have good experience with the third.

There is a better way to handle stuff like this. I once drove off from a McDonalds without a part of my breakfest and didn’t realize it until I got to the office. I decided to stop by at lunch and see if I could get a refund. They were nice about it, even remembered the order and discounted my lunch by the amount that I’d paid.

I even had a good experience at the Starbucks near that old office. I’d had two orders incorrect on the previous two days. I had only mentioned it because I wanted them to be sure that they got this one right, and they instantly gave me the order that day for free.

It doesn’t take much to make a customer happy.

22. fostina1 says:

my local kfc/taco bell never has chicken. i dont think they like to cook it. after about 4 times of this we just quit going. its great if you want a burrito though.

23. Jay Slatkin says:

Commenters: Yes this situation could probably have been avoided but the same could be said for most situations. The OP should have received the proper order from KFC without any special prodding or enhanced ordering techniques. Yes, mistakes happen, however, reporting the problem from the drive through, phone, or in person is no excuse for being called a liar by an employee. Blaming the OP in the comments is usually nothing more than an obvious observation and does very little if anything to help shed light on the topic

24. Ben Popken says:

@selectman: Telling someone going through drive through that they should have gone inside and watched the food being made is a little beyond the pale.

25. failurate says:

@jumbo pongo: Definitely don’t eat the biscuits. Pretty simple rule to live by, don’t provoke/fight/argue with the people who handle food you plan on eating, no matter how irrational or obstinate they may be.

It sucks, but they have a upper hand that you just can’t counter.

26. MeOhMy says:

I thought it was standard operating procedure that you ALWAYS settle order issues by going in to the counter. In fact, one of the reasons I often don’t use the drive-thru is out of certainty that I’m probably going to have to park and go in anyway when they screw up my order. And they will screw up my order.

Blocking the drive thru and yelling “We want our biscuits!” at the employees also should be avoided. You gotta keep your cool.

I have always disliked this trend of whining about “blaming the consumer.” Sometimes the consumer shares a porton (or majority) of the blame. If you want to take a crack at people blaming the consumer, I would kindly direct your attention to

27. ARPRINCE says:

For one, I wouldn’t eat that biscuit if I were you but I guess it’s too late for that. Who knows, he might have added “special ingredients” to them just to get back at you. So did it taste good?

28. OminousG says:

KFC has a horrible time with forgetting items it seems. I thought it was just a continuing problem with the KFC on Gandy in Tampa.

29. MeOhMy says:

@Troy F.: lost part of my post…I would kindly direct your attention to the thread about the bad WaMu CSR in which some commenters rip the submitter for showing up 5 minutes before the branch closed – a fact which has little, if anything to do with his actual complaint and appears to be only mentioned as one of the reasons that caused his need to call customer service. That’s blaming the consumer.

30. NumberFiveIsAlive says:

Definitely go inside. I know you think you are screwing KFC by blocking their drive through and making other customers drive off, but really you are just making other people frustrated who have their own problems.

31. chrisexv6 says:

I guess Leo Getz was right….

“They F— you at the drive thru!”

32. Dr.Martha_Jones says:

I agree that you should contact corporate. Corporate should offer compensation, likely in the offer of a coupon for a comparable meal and then will contact the Franchisee. One would hope that the Franchisee is somehow pinged for each complaint by corporate.

33. ToiletJack says:

While I don’t blame the OP, this bit from the letter sort of irritated me :

“Proper customer service does not include telling irate customers they are wrong, simply because others are liars. “

It seems as though she thought she should get her way because she was an irate customer. Anybody who ever worked a lousy job with the public knows that the liars and scammers also get irate, and many customers are irate regardless of how well you do your job. Being an irate customer in no way entitles you to anything. The OP wasn’t lying, but from the point of view of the person working at KFC, you were just one irate customer in a long line of irate and condescending customers, many of which are liars and scammers trying to get freebies.

34. SkokieGuy says:

This posting so totally begs for blaming the OP.

1. You acknowledge that they always get your order wrong, but you don’t check your order at the window when they hand it to you.

2. Calling the store, nicely, after getting home, [Gee our biscuits were missing from the order], would have been logical. Then they customer would have likely be given reasonable instructions [This is Bob, ask for me when you come back]

3. The fact that lots of people scam a store for free product IS relevant. A store has to set policies appropriate for the market it serves. Given a customer missing product while they are still at the window or shortly thereafter is not unreasonable. Someone showing up unnanounced in the drive-through line is a bit much.

4. And in the OP’s own words: “..we were yelling, “We want our biscuits”- Finally, after at least twenty minutes…”

35. AustinTXProgrammer says:

I used to always go inside for drive through errors, but the last time I had my 3 year old in the back seat, and he would frequently take a long time to get into the car seat (Its gotten a lot better with some strict discipline, but we were still working on it then).

The staff at the drive through was great at fixing our food at the window, but I will admit to not leaving the parking lot.

My wife always checks drive through orders (and her complicated burgers or sandwiches are frequently messed up), but my orders are very rarely messed up, so I usually don’t bother (and suffer the consequences when it is messed up). At the very least, I pull forwards to allow them to help the next customer while we check the order, which makes corrections more difficult.

36. forgottenpassword says:

those dang biscuit-scamming THIEVES!!!!!!!!!!

lol

Its pretty messed up for a fast food place to accuse you of lying when they forget something in your order.

And I dont see anything wrong with going back thru the drivethru when an item is forgotten. I’ve done this lots of times & never once gotten any guff. I tend to check my order while still at the window (a quick look) or just after I have pulled away. I have even had them give me free stuff when they realized their error (arby’s & BK)… which was pretty cool IMO.

There is one KFC that I used to frequent on the way to work (before I moved) that routinely ran out of items (which is just about unheard of from my personal experience). Really frustrating.

And to those who say “dont frequent a place that is known for having bad service”…. when its the only KFC on your way to work or closest to your home…. you are not going to drive way out of your way to go to another one. ANd I dont know of any other fast food place I can buy mashed potatos at around here.

Note: I only had one fast-food drive-thru attendant kinda accuse me of scamming them when I paid for a meal with a twenty & got change back for a ten. SHe said something like “Did you REALLY pay with a twenty?” while she gave me the stink-eye.

Note: I’ve noticed you get treated more poorly customer service-wise when the fast food place is in a bad part of town.

37. the_gank says:

Cooking at home sometimes instead of eating out [might save some $$ and some gas too] could have saved poor Dana from building all of the little problems she’s had in the past to one big problem.

<<< prefers to cook at least 5 out 7 days /weekly and don’t like much of chicken …….yes KFC is nice n all but will save my $$ and head to Quiznos or somewhere else…where they value my biz..rather than going to same place where I have been previously offended …just my $.02

38. dragonfire1481 says:

If the manager is the owners son, he’s probably not properly qualified for the job, thus explaining some of his and the employees behavior.

However, I don’t think either party handled the situation correctly.

39. Consumerist-Moderator-Roz says:

@selectman: I’m not saying that afrix’s comments were wholly without merit, but simply that they go too far. Again, helpful comments are fine, but that doesn’t give one an excuse to insult the consumer.

Not every consumer is going to act perfectly in every situation. It’s okay to point out how they might have handled it better. That’s helpful What’s not okay is to go even further and say “If you’re SO lazy you can’t be bothered to get out of your car…” That is not helpful.

40. TWinter says:

The KFC employees did not handle this correctly, but I agree with those who say that the OP would have done better if she had gone inside instead of going through the drive thru. The dynamics of standing face to face are just so much different than shouting through a window.

41. dragonvpm says:

Unlike some folks, I’ve almost never had problems getting my orders right at the drive through (or at the counter) so I’m not overly concerned with using the drive through for fast food purchases, but I do agree, once you spot a problem it’s usually more productive to walk in and sort it out in person.

Especially in this case, walking in makes it much more likely that you can eat your biscuits without worrying about how they might have been manhandled by the cranky owner’s son.

So yeah, the store really needs to work on it’s customer service, but the OPs handled it in a less than ideal manner. If the manager/owner’s son wanted to really be an ass, he could have probably called the cops on them and I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the other customers (especially any stuck behind them at the drive through) wouldn’t have sided with him. If you need to complain about service or an incorrect order you do it in a controlled manner, at the counter, without making a huge production out of it. Once they resorted to yelling at staff about their biscuits, they probably crossed a line.

I know if I was sitting there and cops asked me what had happened I’d have probably said “These two people showed up and started yelling about biscuits and acting kinda crazy” (IMO standing outside a fast food restaurant for 20 minutes yelling about biscuits does meander into the realm of “acting kinda crazy” ;)

42. afrix says:

@Consumerist-Moderator-Roz: Alternate course of action: get out of the car and deal with the people personally, and watch the food being made and validate the order–especially since this is a known problematic restaurant. Or at the very least, given this is a known problematic restaurant, check your order before driving off.

Consumers should be prepared to change their normal routine to handle abnormal circumstances, such as a problematic restaurant. An example of such a change would be not to use the drive through but to go inside.

43. SkokieGuy says:

If you know through personal experience that a drive through frequently screws up orders, three suggestions:

Stop patronizing that establishment. Vote with your dollars and don’t reward poor performance money?

Check your order before leaving the drive through window, eliminates and potential for dispute or controversy.

Pull foward (to avoid delaying those behind you) check your order and immediately go inside to get the order corrected. Protesting 2 minutes after the date printed on the receipt is far more credible than half an hour later.

Bonus Tip: Don’t yell

44. SkokieGuy says:

[First suggestion should read: Stop patronizing that establishment. Vote with your dollars. Why reward poor performance with your money?]

45. Legal_Eagle_In_Training says:

Back to the original question the OP posted: How to go about filing a complaint. I work in franchise law and usually the way you have to go about it is this…

1) Call and speak to the manager at the KFC you went to. If they don’t take your call or hang up on you, try again another time or two. When you do speak to the manager, calmly explain what the issue was and tell them what you would like them to do (IE free meal), if anything at all. If you don’t want anything from them and plan to never go back (which doesn’t sound like a bad idea), just tell them that you felt you had to bring it to their attention.

2) After calling the manager and not getting any resolution, or not receiving the resolution (IE free meal) that you both agreed upon, contact corporate headquarters at the phone number provided by Jay. Again, calmly explain what the issue was and tell them what you would like them to do. Ask the CSR if there is an ID number for your complaint you can reference if you need to call back again.

3) From clients I work with, this information gets sent to the franchisee/store owner and they are told to rectify the situation and report back to them the outcome.

4) If nothing comes of the complaint after 1 month (I’m being generous), call back and reference your original complaint ID. Let them know that nothing has been done.

Hope this helps some, good luck!

46. Dobernala says:

@afrix: KFC should have not mistreated the customer and should have not forgotten the biscuts. The customer is not at fault and going into the store does not change anything. You’re really grasping at straws here.

I hope the moderator lays the smackdown here ‘cuz I’m sick of hearing this nonsense.

47. AdvocatesDevil says:

@Legal_Eagle_In_Training: Wait, Legal_Eagle_In_Training, you forgot the Consumerist Required part where you blame the OP for wanting someone to do their job correctly!

48. Bagels says:

I guess they didn’t put the biscuit in the basket

49. SkokieGuy says:

Fast food resturaunts do have a problem with people trying to scam fast food. Although I assume this consumer’s missing biscuits did happen, how should a resturaunt address this issue?

Deny everyone who makes a missing item claim?

Give food to everyone who claims missing product?

What are fair and reasonble procedures, given the facts that mistakes WILL happen and some people WILL try to scam for free food?

50. duncanatrix says:

I’ve actually used the customer satisfaction line for KFC with some success. I waited in a drive thru line (behind TWO other cars) for about half an hour. The car in front of me actually left! Since I know that it’s common practice to ask someone with a long, complicated, or delayed order to pull up or off to the side, I called KFC customer satisfaction to let them know about my experience. The owner of the store called me a couple days later to apologize, and although I didn’t want compensation or anything, it was pretty cool. It seems that this is one chain where the service line actually works!

51. Legal_Eagle_In_Training says:

@AdvocatesDevil: My apologies!

52. That-Dude says:

@MisterE87: way to stick it to the janitor that had to clean that up.

53. HunterZ says:

As a former Taco Bell employee (owned, as KFC is, by Yum), I can tell you that the OP handled the situation in the best way possible. Here’s why:

1. Calling a fast food restaurant directly and asking to speak to the manager won’t accomplish anything other than to annoy them. The store manager probably isn’t even there, so you’ll be talking to a glorified line employee with little authority.

2. Attempting to resolve the situation via the drive thru is better than going inside because employees of Yum-owned restaurants are pressured via electronic timers and management oversight to service drive thru customers quickly. If you go inside the store, there is no pressure on the employees to help you, so they’re more likely to blow you off.

3. Employees are trained to follow a specific procedure in this exact situation – at Taco Bell they called it “L.A.S.T.” – Listen, Apologize, Satisfy, Thank. What it comes down to is 2 things: they’re supposed to give you up to $10 in replacement items with no receipt and no questions asked, and they’re supposed to do it in a courteous manner. Hell, Taco Bell had secret shoppers with hidden cameras go through the drive thrus regularly to test this exact situation, without having gone through previously to actually purchase anything (but usually they just claimed to be missing a taco or whatever).

If you want to get the employee in trouble, contact KFC corporate and give them as much info as you can about what happened, and about the store, employee, and time that it happened. With any luck the district manager will be contacted and will roll shit downhill. You’ll probably get some coupons out of it too.

54. Jon Mason says:

Gotta agree AFRIX: If you have to return to a restaurant to sort out a problem, get out of your car and go inside (I cant believe we are even needing to say this, like walking 20 yds is somehow a big deal nowadays?). The drive-thru is a specific device/setup to take an order, take money, give you your food, not the place to have a protracted argument about a previous order. Get out of your car and walk inside. Yes the restaurant manager was a jerk, but you did not help matters and even admit that you blocked the drive thru for an extended time, causing OTHER PEOPLE to leave, who I’m sure appreciate having the inconvenience caused by you.

Sidenote: Drive thrus are great when there’s not much of a line and you’re in a hurry, but when theres a huge line blocking the parking lot it always amazes me that people dont just park up and go inside – theres a Chik Fil A near me that constantly has a line of 20-30 cars back onto the street blocking traffic – if its that busy, I park up and walk inside and am always served without ANY line at all, back out and back in my car with the food in 2 minutes literally while the cars all sit in line for 20 minutes.

55. MyPetFly says:

KFC = Keep Fighting Customers

56. A.W.E.S.O.M.-O says:

@HunterZ: The “best way possible” to deal with that situation is to hold up the drive-thru and yell “We want our biscuits” for 20 minutes? Come on now.

57. bmamad says:

~Extremely sorry if this double posts.

Hello, all. Diana, here. Thank you for your commiseration and criticism. I understand why, with the history of mistakes, it makes sense for us not to have gone to that KFC. And we hadn’t. It’d been months since we even entertained the idea of that place. But, since it was the end of a very long day and I had a hankerin’ for some test tube chicken, I convinced my guy that it couldn’t be that bad. Also, since it was the end of a very long day maybe we were a little lazy. I guess I just never thought laziness equals liars. We live so close to the place, that we didn’t even put our shoes back on to drive back there, so going inside wasn’t really an option anyway. (man, I hope that doesn’t bite me in the ass, now in the comments. Britney Spears, much?) I honestly thought we’d drive in, pull out, and live happily ever after.

Oh, and of course, we chastised ourselves for not just checking the order before we left. I do want to clarify though: it’s not that this place always got our order wrong, it’s that it never had what we wanted. In which case we would either settle for something else or leave. And this is only over three visits. We aren’t KFC fanatics or anything. Definitely, limited intake on this kinda stuff. Maybe that’s why we weren’t well-versed in the proper procedure, which is, apparently, going inside to handle this kind of situation. I didn’t know this was even classified as a “situation.”

And, toiletjack: you’re right. I’m thinking irate wasn’t the correct word. I’ll use someone else’s. We were completely flabbergasted at the events unfolding before us. I think his insistence that we were lying was just asinine and perplexing to me. And it was only after that, that we started to demand, “We want our biscuits.” Which, as dragonvpm, pointed out: is kinda crazy. It was. This whole even was.

Thanks, ya’ll!

58. Hogan1 says:

@HunterZ: An interesting reply but you need to take into account inconsistencies between Franchisee locations. Regardless of stated company policy all franchisees will establish their own official/unofficial guidelines to a certain extent.

As for the OP, The employees shouldn’t have been mocking them but on the other hand, the OP should not have gone through the Drive Thru for this. Going inside and letting them know what happened is probably going to get you more. Blocking the Drive Thru is usually counter productive and will be met by hostility and perhaps even the police. I’ve actually seen people get hauled off in handcuffs by the police for blocking drive thrus here in Phoenix, which was unfortunate for me as I only wanted a drink and I was behind them with no way to get out…Needless to say it was an interesting half hour.

59. bmamad says:

@Legal_Eagle_In_Training: Thanks! I will try this.@HunterZ: This is also helpful, thank you so much.I mentioned something to this guy about a general manager and he made it seem like there was no one superior to the owner/daddy.

60. @HunterZ: Thanks for that useful information on the workings of TB.

61. axiomatic says:

@afrix: What is the point of offering “drive through service” then if the expectation of quality service does not extend to the drive through service?

I think you have dug yourself a hole my friend.

62. Dansc29625 says:

I went to the Jack in the box drive through and the burger was incorrect (it only had bacon bits no beef, I didn’t know that was a real burger). I went to the drive thru and talked to the manager and he made it right. (free meal) If they are going to give bad service at the drive thru they need to rectify the situation where they gave the bad service. (better yet just give good service)

I know it is frustrating when a chain restaurant has a bad apple in the bunch. This sounds like a “bad apple” kfc. There are bad apple McDonalds, Bk’s, Subways, and hardees. The experience I had with Hardees was consistently bad service. I communicated with the company several times, they sent me free burger coupons. When I came in there the faces had changed but he service never did. I feel good about not putting any more dollars in their till anymore.

63. HunterZ says:

@A.W.E.S.O.M.-O: If it takes 20 minutes for them to make biscuits, why the hell are they selling them through the drive thru in the first place? Sounds like someone screwed up big-time.

64. MarvinMar says:

I hope those biscuits did not come with “Special Sauce” after all that arguing.

65. MarvinMar says:

Also, I had a simular experiance at a Wendy’s drive thru once.
    I also lived only 2 blocks away.
    I ordered a #4 Biggie Sized w/diet coke
    When I got home I had 4 Biggie Frys and a diet coke.
    I went back. They said the girl who took my order was not feeling well and went home, keep the frys, here is your burger, Hey.. We have 2 tacos that someone didnt take. Want em? Would you like a large Frosty for your trouble?

That was awsome service. KFC could learn from them

66. FuryofFive says:

i read these posts day to day, and read all the commentors making stupid remarks about low wage employees…just because they make low money is no reason to demean the employee saying there drones and there doing mindless work. im very happy that i dont work those low paying,low respect jobs. but there probaly teenagers or people who dont have the qualifications to geta better job. did we forget that there people to. just trying to get money. those jobs require doing lots of crap, and taking lots of crap for such low pay, then u get mad when an employee messes up a singer order.
    the employees at that resturant probaly did screw up the order, but like others have said, go in and fix it. employees are more likely to help u if u dont hold up business.

67. treesyjo says:

I have to agree that the OP bears some responsibility here. If you always have problems with your order, check it before you leave. “Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me.” And the one time I drove back to get missing food items(from Taco Bell), I called first and spoke to a manager and then went inside. I like KFC biscuits as much as the next person but to bog down the drive-thru and chant “we want our biscuit!”? I’m sorry but that just screams pathetic and no wonder a battle of the wills ensued. Hope your urine/spit/semen-soaked biscuit was worth it.

68. Shadowman615 says:

@afrix: I don’t agree with all of that. If a place offers a drive through, there’s no reason I shouldn’t be able to expect to use it and get what I want. The whole point of their offering the drive-through is to make it convenient for the customers and therefore sell more product — if they can’t handle that, then they should close the damn drive-through. Maybe you are content to let stores just give you whatever they want for your money, but some of us expect to at least get what we paid for and don’t feel a need to apologize for that.

That said, I will always check my order before I drive away, whether they like that or not. Then I can get it fixed right then. No way I’d pull ahead to look through my bags only to find out I now have to go inside to fix something — that sort of defeats the whole purpose of the drive-through. It’s not about being lazy — like I said, they are offering the ability to stay in your car as an incentive for spending money there. So I’m going to hold them to it.

69. LostAngeles says:

@chrisjames: Well, as someone who’s worked fast food in high school and for a bit afterwards, I take a bit of personal offense to your comment.

The people working fast food are simply that. People. Mistakes happen. If the place consistently botches it, it’s generally because management is full of idiots who hire the idiotic and the lazy. A good store can go right into the crapper and vice versa depending on who’s running the place.

All that said, if you have a problem with your order, drive-thru is not the way to do it. You can hold up the line, botch service times and in a New England winter, you’re an asshole. When we had people who did that, we would ask if they wouldn’t mind parking and coming in so we could take care of it. Most people were happy to comply. Some people would argue at the window. Some would argue at the speaker. (Win!) Then again, if I’m doing a CS job, I actually like to give customer service. (Communicating delays, throwing in extra (corporate orders at the time! Really!) for an inconvience, politeness, accuracy, etc…)

This also reminds me, folks, they can hear everything in your car when it’s at the speaker. At the speaker is not where you plan your scam.

70. mariospants says:

I’m going to reiterate my statement from yesterday: KFC’s off our menu, period.

71. bmamad says:

@LostAngeles: Had the manager ever asked us to pull ahead and go inside (even though we didn’t have on our shoes) I would have gladly participated. Never did he take control of the situation in anywhere near a professional manner like you explain. Your kind of service is what was missing.

72. brandyk says:

I’ve never ever – as an adult – been to a KFC that had what we wanted and/or that we received a correct order. EVER.

As a kid, sure. I grew up in the south and there people don’t screw with your chickens.

The KFC problem seems about the same whether its a KFC standalone or Taco Bell. Curiously, I always get the right thing at a Taco Bell standalone.

73. NYGal81 says:

It’s nice to know that there’s another KFC just as shoddy as the one in my hometown. In fact, I can’t say I’ve ever been to a KFC with anything but incredibly sub-par service. Every time I get the urge for some original recipe, biscuits, and cole slaw, I have to steel my will and realize this experience is probably not going to go my way. They’ll be out of chicken, or they’ll be out of biscuits, or the cole slaw will give me food poisoning. A few things I do though:
    1) I realize the buying experience is going to suck before I even leave my house. That way, if it’s anything other that totally shitty, it’s a plus.
    2) Never order via drive-thru. These jokers can’t get my order right when I’m STANDING IN FRONT OF THEM!!! There’s no way I’m getting the right food through the drive-thru.
    3) Always check my order. I’ve recently begun checking the doneness of the biscuits. Sometimes when they’re out, they’ll rush a batch to keep the customers “happy,” and they’ll be totally raw in the middle. Like, oozing dough raw.
    4) Consider myself lucky if I’m in and out in 20 minutes and with the right food.

We have had luck complaining to corporate KFC. Responses have come personally from a regional manager of some sort. While I would prefer they don’t have totally shitty service to start with, I have been happy with the resolutions I’ve gotten from them.

74. Edge231 says:

Here’s a suggestion..if you think a place stucks, then don’t go there! The OP states she had problems with the KFC but still went there.

She does need to accept some blame as other posters have mentioned. But the store’s response was over the top. You can call YUM Brands and complain to them.

75. cametall says:

The KFC near my house is sloooooow and they always screw up your drive through order. Mixing up sides or leaving out orders completely!

I think to work there you have to be half retarded and half baked while on duty.

76. TACP says:

I try not to use the drive-thru anywhere. Ordering inside actually seems to be faster most of the time. I haven’t had much trouble at KFC, but I don’t go there much. I have seen them run out of food, however. Chicken places always have that problem, because they cook everything in huge batches.

I’m surprised no one has named some obscure chain yet, like they always do in these threads, so I will. I try to go to Popeye’s whenever possible. They even give me an extra biscuit for free sometimes.

77. Peeved Guy says:

@bmamad: I have to compliment you on the way you seem to be handling the criticism leveled against you in this forum, kudos. While I think that some of the criticism of you might be justified (go in to resolve the complaint, etc.), really, the situation would have been a non-issue if they had a competent manager on duty. (“Oh, you didn’t get biscuits? Here you go.” If he was afraid of you scamming them, how much would they be out, really? How much do 4 biscuts cost? $.25, maybe?

I had a pleasant experience at a McD recently, for once… I forgot to order some french fries pulled up a wrote them off. The order I placed took some time to prepare and when the manager handed it to me he apologized and asked if there was anything else he could do (!), I mumbled that I forgot to order some fries, but don;t worry about it… He asked what size and comped them, without me having to complain to get them. Could have knocked me over with a feather.

As someone has alluded to above, I have come to the realization that at this point in time, when one goes through a drive through, they will most likely get the basics of your order correct, but jack up the details (add onion when the order was to hold onion, etc.) In the very near future, I think that it will be a common practice to simple pull up to a drive-thru and simply hand the cash and take what they give you. It will reduce the stress on everyone involved and honestly, with the way CS is going at fast foot joints now, it’ll get there eventually, so you might as well embrace it.

78. EyeHeartPie says:

@Shadowman615: A drive-thru is there so people can order their food and get their food in a minimum amount of time. It is not there to discuss problems with your order after the fact. If you check your order at the window when you get the food and find that something is wrong with it, then it is fine to ask it to be fixed. However, to come back to the drive-thru later after you have left to try to get an order fixed is like going to the Vision Center of WalMart to try and return merchandise. It’s just not the place/line to do it in.

79. MercuryPDX says:

@afrix: Dial it back….

I agree that you should check the order before you leave (Hence the etymology of “They F**K you… at the drive-thru.”) and going inside to resolve a problem, but there could have been a less aggro way for you to get your point across.

My local KFC has(?) the same issues (always out of whatever it is you want). I say “has(?)” because I stopped going there altogether after the second time. 6:30 on a Tuesday and they were out of Mac & Cheese, Mashed Potatoes, corn on the cob, and Extra Crispy chicken. Perhaps it would have been easier to ask what DO you have? A complaint to the manager at the location was met with “Well, what can we do? We run out of stuff.”, “OK, but half the menu???”

A phone call to corporate was met with a “Form letter” apology, and KFC coupons which only would work if that location actually HAD food ready. Never going again was much easier.

80. HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak says:

To the “go inside to settle things” folks: You don’t know what happened here, so stop acting like the OP was lazy. Many fast food joints close their dining area sometime between 10PM-midnight, and reopen in the morning, but keep their drive through open 24 hours. It’s entirely possible that this whole thing happened after hours, thus meaning they COULDN’T go into the restaurant to settle things up. Especially given that this took place on July 4 — maybe they stopped in for chicken after having gone to a fireworks show or something.

Not saying this is what happened, necessarily, but you have no right to make assumptions and cast aspersions on the OP just because they used the drive-through.

I’m really beginning to hate the commenters on this site. It’s always a chorus of “Your fault! Your fault! Your fault!”, finding the tiniest little flaw in the story or the tiniest way in which the OP may have breached protocol or policy, and using it as a blanket excuse to flame the crap out of the OP and exonerate the company. FFS, if you don’t have anything constructive to say, don’t say anything at all.

81. Geekybiker says:

I know if I was the manager I would be a skeptical if someone came back 30 min later asking for biscuits. Moral of the story is check your order before you leave the lot.

82. nsv says:

@chrisjames: I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. I’ve worked with three very low IQ employees, and they were among the most conscientious, hard working, and upbeat people I’ve ever worked with. In spite of the fact that management treated them like dirt, they were delighted to be working and tackled every task with enthusiasm.

83. nsv says:

I wasn’t there so I can’t say for sure where all the fault lies. No matter what, clearly KFC didn’t handle this properly.

Whatever the case, this is the one piece of advice I’d give: Never, never, never go back to that KFC. There are several reasons, and I’m going to assume they’re obvious. Don’t deal with those employees again, and don’t eat food they’ve handled.

84. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

The beauty of a drive-thru is that you can sit there and block the window until the manager concedes.

85. BurntToast says:

I think people are missing the point here, including the moderator that chimed in.

She had a problem with her drive through order… she went back AND AIRED HER PROBLEM AT THE DRIVE-THROUGH. That IS lazy.

I agree, she should have gotten out of her car and asked for her biscuits IN THE STORE. Face to face with the employees. Frankly, I always check my orders from the drive-through but if I did have a problem I’d get out of the car and go into the store to ask them about it, I wouldn’t go back to the drive-through.

Also, I have a feeling that this is one of those consumers that probably had a problem, went back, and was a complete beeatch about it… I mean, she did go back to complain at the drive-through, right? Heck, her going through the drive-through again for her “missing biscuits” would have sent a red flag up with me too.

I don’t know… I always try to be nice, being someone who worked in Food Service before at a major theme park.

86. howie_in_az says:

@IfThenElvis: I’d imagine the manager would have them towed first.

OP should inform KFC corporate of the incident and follow up by not giving money to their stores. Tell all your friends what sort of behavior is now considered acceptable at KFC, and urge said friends to not give money to their stores.

In the future, if you do go to fast food places for something remotely edible, check your drive-thru order prior to pulling away. Or just go inside, where, chances are, there’s less of a line. Having your car idle while waiting at the drive-thru, or arguing with the manager, means you’re getting 0 miles per gallon.

87. HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak says:

@BurntToast: Read my earlier post. You weren’t there, you don’t know what happened, so stop assuming the OP is lazy.

88. Sugarless says:

@selectman: afrix could have stated his point without the use of name calling.

Thank you Roz for moderating the comments.

89. sean77 says:

@dragonvpm:

I don’t either, but that’s because I purposely keep my orders simple. I’m always embarrassed when I’m with someone who gives a long complicated order at the drive thru (making substitutions, holding several ingredients, etc). Why do they do that? They make it more difficult for everyone.

back on topic: I always give a quick survey when I receive my food. Do I have the right number of side dish boxes, etc. If there is a problem and I’ve already left the window, I would park and walk in.

Finally, wtf is with this line:

customers were leaving the drive thru, we were yelling, “We want our biscuits”

sounds like the OP is blocking the drivethru and chanting.. surprised she didn’t get arrested for interference.

90. Infinity_8 says:

As bad as it sounds I’ve actually come to terms with the fact that fast food also means fast f**kups! I’m gonna be honest here, probably 80% of the time I get fast food, which isn’t very often, something is wrong. If you go at night there are always lazy workers who don’t correctly take the order. Fast food workers know that most people will not drive back to complain. That’s why now my wife and me check our food before we leave the window so there cannot be any screw ups.

Better yet, you could just go to Subway and watch them make your food in front of you so you know there is nothing missing.

91. mcjake says:

I worked at KFC for a while when I was in high school, and running out of chicken, sides, or biscuits was pretty standard. I don’t know what it was, whether it was too expensive to cook too much chicken in a day, or the managers just weren’t training in planning when to cook and order chicken, but it happened ALL THE TIME.

Another common problem was literally running out of chicken, that was always my favorite.

“You’re out of chicken?”

“Yes mam.”

“But you are Kentucky Fried Chicken.”

“Yes mam.”

“How can you run out of chicken?”

“Don’t know mam, but we don’t have anymore.”

92. A.W.E.S.O.M.-O says:

@HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak: Before you go all high and mighty telling people what is or isn’t constructive, read all the damn comments. We DO know what happened. The OP wrote in and says that she didn’t go inside (though she could have) because she didn’t have any shoes on and wasn’t invited to anyway.

93. ChuckECheese says:

@nsv: You are correct about this. Competency in these sorts of jobs isn’t really a function of intelligence so much as one of willingness and pleasantness.

And The Onion agrees: [www.theonion.com]

94. bmamad says:

@A.W.E.S.O.M.-O: Hey, thanks, man!

95. bmamad says:

@bmamad: er, I mean, thanks? Either way, I dig the discussion, and directing people to read the comments is always a good thing. Even if they aren’t all favorable towards me. Viva la biscuits!

96. Prions says:

So she started to scream? There’s no need for that. Why not ask for escalation?

But the KFC guy was an idiot. A few 50c biscuits to keep a customer?

97. GarouDiams says:

I had something like this happen to me at a Taco Cabana (local Texas Tex-Mex fast food place).

I ordered a fajita taco salad with chicken. After checking the meal I circled back around in the drive-thru and told the guy they left off the chicken. The employee rolled his eyes and took the box from me.

After inspecting the salad he placed some fajita chicken on top, closed the box and said “just this time, Sir.”

This is about pleasing the customer and hoping for return business. I was treated like I was trying to scam the place for extra chicken. *sigh*

98. nsv says:

@ChuckECheese: It’s mortifying to read an Onion story that backs me up so completely. But damn it, it’s true. Whenever I had one of those guys assigned to work with me I was thrilled because I knew that for once, it wouldn’t be a battle to get the job done, and I wouldn’t have to hear any whining about it.

Maybe that’s what KFC needs… so-called handicapped people to do the job that “normal” people can’t seem to do correctly.

99. lalaland13 says:

I hope later y’all will laugh about it and use “We want our biscuits!” as an inside joke. That’s pretty darn funny, and for some reason that mental image cracked me up.

I tend to go to Popeye’s more than KFC, and they often run out of chicken strips or side items or what have you. But then they tell me to “have a blessed day” so I know they’re good Christians and I can’t be mad at them. Yes, I’m kidding.

Anyway, maybe your boyfriend could have gone in and you could have stayed in the car? But regardless, this is just deplorable on their part. Kentucky Fuckin’ Chicken is more like it.

100. forgottenpassword says:

man, some of you screaming that going thru the drive thru a second time to report a mistake & get it remedied is wrong. I do this every time they screw up. Its convenient & rarely a problem for anyone. I usually drive up to the clowns’s head & inform them I was there a few minutes earlier & that they forgot something in my order (& tell them what it is). They almost always say “ok drive thru” ….I get up to the window & they give me what they forgot. Never had a problem.

Of course i tend to frequent fast food places in the more nicer neighborhoods, where I assume jamokes arent trying to scam them out of free food.

101. Nicholeigh says:

@iMike:
    What they are choosing to eat really isn’t the conceren here. It’s about customer service. Who cares if they choose to eat fried chicken? If they messed up an order at a more health conscious restaurant would that change things? I don’t think so.

102. Charmander says:

If I had always had problems with a particular KFC regarding orders, you better believe I would double check my order prior to driving off.

Just a thought.

103. Slytherin says:

@afrix:

“Problem number two: you don’t bother to check your order before leaving.”

104. jamesdenver says:

@iMike:

Same poster who says “i don’t fly so neither should you” when commenting on airline posts.

worthless.

105. afrix says:

@Dobernala: “KFC should have not mistreated the customer and should have not forgotten the biscuts. The customer is not at fault and going into the store does not change anything. You’re really grasping at straws here.”

No, the store should not have mistreated the customer.

But the store has been mistreating the customer on an ongoing basis, at least at some level. The store has been problematic all along.

I’m not sure what the customer expected after all those ongoing problems.

Albert Einstein said it best:

[www.brainyquote.com]

106. afrix says:

@Slytherin: ” “Problem number two: you don’t bother to check your order before leaving.”

Ah, so you are the dumb fuck that holds up the drive thru lane after they give you the order. Because the world revolves around you, right?”

You took that WAY out of context when you quoted me.

Remember, this is the restaurant that is problematic. With that knowledge, a consumer should bother to check his order prior to leaving the establishment.

In the case of other restaurants that rarely if ever get things wrong or cause other problems, the consumer can trust that his bag of food is what he wanted.

BTW, how does it negatively affect you if I take a few seconds to open the bag and see if my order is correct?

If you were in line behind someone doing that and you yelled at that particular consumer, that consumer could just as easily have said to you that you wanted the world to go YOUR way, regardless of what the consumer needed done.

“…world keeps spinnin’…” –Stewie

107. BruinEric says:

@afrix:

Really, that’s some of the worst “blame the OP” I’ve read on this site. And I often agree with the POV that some complaints on this site are short sighted or ignore how the customer themselves created the problem.

However, this is none of those. Going to a KFC does not require a full scale ritual of order checking in queue, nor is there any less merit to the complaint because this customer didn’t want to leave the car.

I was recently shorted chicken at a restaurant in Houston and didn’t bother going back to get the issue straightened out — instead I’ll just never give them my business again. So when a customer comes back through the drive through, they are giving the business a chance to KEEP a customer by fixing the issue. This KFC blew the chance. Sure, losing one customer is no big deal, but little did they count on their little dinky restaurant getting profiled and mocked here where a director of something or other will see it.

108. LostAngeles says:

@mcjake: Sometimes that’s a failure on management’s part, sometimes it’s a fluke, sometimes an idiot in the kitchen failed to keep up on the marinades, sometimes an idiot manager failed to keep the kitchen staffed enough to keep up on the marinades. The failure either comes from not being able to read your patterns or from no one informing management/the staff of impending sales, coupons, or other special offers. I’ve seen it happen. I’ve asked another manager which fuckwit ordered our supplies for the week and it has been the resident fuckwit.

Ahh, true tales of working in KFC. Coleslaw, water fights, chicken baseball, throwing snow into the open fryers…

…and not pissing in anyone’s meal.

@bmamad: OK, now that makes a lot more sense. If you weren’t wearing shoes, I’d have just taken care of you at the window, probably by just giving you the biscuits, which you’d probably get anyway. Let’s just say that merchandise is cheaper than the Board O’ Health, though. Not that this tool wasn’t failing epicly from the start, mind you. If a customer is trouble, you don’t berate them, you get them gone and ask them to never come back.

Does KFC still have that number to call and praise/complain? If you haven’t taken that opportunity yet, I’d do it. And don’t let them send you coupons for KFC either. Considering how hard yours fails, I wouldn’t go back until the place was under new management for about a month or two.

109. LostAngeles says:

@LostAngeles: Quoting myself, I’m not saying that you were trouble, I’m trying to make it clearer that the circumstances that would make that dumbass’s behavior acceptable most likely do not exist.

It is possible (albeit difficult) to tell a customer to fuck off and die with a smile, pleasant tone, and excellent customer service.

110. trujunglist says:

One time I went to a KFC and rode up the drive through to get some food. I really had a hankering for some fried chicken. I received the standard welcome to KFC can I take your order, and I started to order a whole bunch of food for me and my girl.
    After ordering a whole bunch of stuff with acknowledgement from the girl, she says “we’re out of chicken.”
    I sat there for a second, stunned. Out of chicken? Kentucky Fried CHICKEN? That’s like Burger King running out of burgers, or Taco Bell running out of tacos. Who the fuck goes to KFC and doesn’t order chicken? Half the shit on the menu is fucking chicken!
    I was like uhhh… what? and she repeated it. I sat there, again, and pondered what had just happened. I then said “you’re out of… chicken?” and she said “yeah, that’s what I said.” I was like “Ok.. well obviously I didn’t come here for the soda since I tried to order chicken, ya know, at kentucky fried chicken, so nevermind.” Then she said “Ok, so cancel your order?” I rolled my eyes and backed up out of the drive thru so I didn’t have to see what kind of idiot this person was.

To the OP: I hope you didn’t eat the biscuits. I’m guessing they were prepared just for you.

111. afrix says:

@BruinEric: “Going to a KFC does not require a full scale ritual of order checking in queue, nor is there any less merit to the complaint because this customer didn’t want to leave the car.”

I’m not sure you read what I wrote.

Going to a KFC or anywhere else should not require a “full scale” (???? where did that come from?) ritual of checking your order. But in this case, the OP already made it plain that he has had problems with this restaurant in the past.

Is it not prudent, in the real world, for a consumer to act not as if the world were perfect, but instead as if the world is what it is?

He had a hankering for some KFC. Fine. He knew the restaurant had a negative reputation. That’s the real world. It’s prudent to check.

People can yell and scream all they want about how “it shouldn’t have to be that way!” but that won’t change the world. Yes, maybe it’s lowering your expectations–but it’ll get you home faster with the correct food.

And the drive-through isn’t for resolving customer service issues, whether it’s the chicken place or the bank. I’ll hold firm to that. Again, you may WANT the world to be different, but wanting is one thing, acting within the known REAL world is another.

112. gengeo says:

KFC has rapidly declined in customer service, and product quality as well over the years. What used to be the pillar of the fried chicken restaurants has sadly sank to the bottom of the pit. This seems to have started when Harland Sanders sold the enterprise.
    Their employees? They pull from the same employment pool as their competitors, yet they always seem to get the castaways. The rude, the loud, the unprofessional. Funny how McDonalds right across the street always seems to have the cute bubbly cheerful crew, and any KFC you find seems stocked with grumpy, rude, rundown, baggy pants off the ass, wearing, tattoed zombies.
    As for getting out of the car to conduct business, I’d suggest you do that anyway. Walk in the average KFC, LOOK at the cleanliness of the employees, the floor in the prep area and you won’t have to worry about them shorting your order, because YOU WILL LEAVE.

113. puddintank says:

Sort of reminds me of the old guard / prisoner psychology experiment except instead people are in the employee / customer role. The customer feels privileged, empowered, and if the subservient employee says “get the fâ—™ out” then by God, the customer is going to lose it.

114. newfenoix says:

@SkokieGuy: Excellent advice. When I was still a store manager, I would fix any REASONABLE problem without any fanfare, HOWEVER, if someone yelled at or cussed my employees, they were told to leave or I would call the police. On the other hand, if I heard an employee cuss a customer, they were fired on the spot.

And I just remembered something the op said about always having problems with this KFC. If this is true, then they need to go somewhere else.

115. TPS Reporter says:

When we go thru the drive thru at Taco Bell, we just check the amount of items we got. If we ordered 4 things, as long as there are 4 items in the bag, we feel we have come out ok. I can tell you why they sat there yelling about getting the biscuits. It’s because when you go somewhere like this and they keep not doing the job they are supposed to, over and over, you tend to get tired of it. If it’s because the employee only makes $3 an hour, then find a different job. Maybe they wanted chicken and this is the only place to get it. Maybe they really craved KFC biscuits (though I don’t know why I hate KFC).

116. newfenoix says:

I am going to play “devil’s advocate” here for a moment. I have several years of management experience, much of it at the store level in food service. And I have learned several things:

First off, mistakes DO happen. Orders are miss-made or items are left out. These people are under a great deal of pressure to get orders out as fast as possible. Working in one of these places isn’t as easy as some people make it out to be. They are quite often understaffed and that just increases the problems.

Second; you should be a considerate customer. Don’t come through a drive though if you have a $50 order. You will NOT get it quickly.

Thirdly; if you want to get fast service, GET OFF OF YOUR DAMNED CELL PHONE! All you are doing is increasing your chances of having a bad order.

Fourthly; be polite. How would you like it if I came to YOUR job and started screaming at you?

Now, as to this situation…both parties were wrong. I don’t like blaming the op but you never yell at workers in a fast food place. It can be considered “disturbing the peace” and you could be arrested. One the flip side of this, cussing out a customer is a very quick way of losing a job. I have fired lead employees for doing this sort of thing. One other thing, if the op always has problems with this place then the problem goes deeper than just the employees. There is a management issue here that isn’t being addressed.

117. lauy says:

@ MarvinMar:

Your Wendy’s has tacos? NICE! What state are you in?

118. Slytherin says:

@afrix: Must you really post a long reply (i.e. “last word” because of your lack of self-esteem) to everybody’s comment to you? After the first sentence or two we begin to lose interest. Just do what the Good Book says and turn the cheek. Ok?

119. drjayphd says:

@iMike: Referred to the mods for the commenter code. Congratulations, you might just have your own category there.

120. BruinEric says:

@afrix:

While I understand your point about events in the “real world,” this site really isn’t about languishing in the way things are in the “real world” in the sense that I think you mean it. This site is about prodding companies to improve customer service beyond the crappy way things are in the “real world.” This often means encouraging or shaming companies into making a better experience for consumers which also results in more sales for those companies.

To that end, when companies like KFC provide bad service — even to customers that don’t follow perfect complaint protocol, they deserve such prodding and often ridicule.

121. notbob50 says:

I never use the drive-thru at fast food places. The order will probably be wrong and sitting in a line of idleing cars makes no sense. Inside you can see how they are putting your order together. Also, always check the order before you leave.

122. afrix says:

@Slytherin: I’m posting individual replies to people who apparently only partially read my first post.

123. afrix says:

@BruinEric: “this site really isn’t about languishing in the way things are in the “real world” in the sense that I think you mean it. This site is about prodding companies to improve customer service beyond the crappy way things are in the “real world.””

I agree–but let’s not try to boil the ocean here. This is very small potatoes to get worked up about (especially if you don’t know how to handle the situation properly) compared to so, so, so many other things, huge things, that badly need fixed.

If we let this kind of little thing grab our attention and effort, we let huge things go by.

124. Consumerist-Moderator-Roz says:

@iMike: This sort of comment just isn’t helpful. Please try to keep the conversation on topic.

125. avantartist says:

The image doesn’t have proper credit again.

126. MisterE87 says:

@That-Dude: What fast food place have you ever been to that employed a janitor, numb nuts?

127. ARVash says:

@iMike:

What do you propose that they eat the chicken alive? That sounds terribly inhumane and unappetizing. Biscuits are a wonderful form of sustenance, you would be surprised how long one can live off of biscuits and water alone.