TV stations looking to save money can do so by interviewing guests remotely over Skype, as WTVT in Tampa did, live, with me this morning. No more paying for car service or bottled water!

Comments

1. newlywed says:

i think an evening show on headline news does this to, and does donny deutche do it?

2. MissTicklebritches says:

It’s official. Ben replaces Ira Glass as my celebrity-nerd crush.

3. NotAppealing says:

Skype is my favorite method of communication. Methods, if you will.

4. homerjay says:

Ben, your head look kind of… narrow in that video. Is this like Seinfeld’s “skinny mirrors?”

5. DrGirlfriend says:

This post is about using Skype…..uhhuhyeah. ;)

6. Can you get away with just wearing a nice jacket and shirt and lounge pants? I mean, if you sit for awhile, you’re going to wrinkle your suit pants.

7. Ben Popken says:

@homerjay: I think it’s in how they’re adjusting the aspect ratio.

@Git Em SteveDave is a poor substitute for LindsayJoy: Absolutely. I was wearing jeans.

8. orielbean says:

why even bother with pants?

9. thelushie says:

If he wasn’t wearing pants, we don’t need to know that information.

10. Triborough says:

I have seen reports via videophone on the BBC. So this doesn’t seem like much.

11. TheSpatulaOfLove says:

I’m all for technology use, but using consumer grade technologies such as Skype for ‘professional’ broadcasts is like pulling up to your mansion in a 1977 Chrysler Cordoba with missing hubcaps and a duct tape & plastic driver’s side window.

12. MercuryPDX says:

@homerjay: That’s what happens when they done squeeze him through them thar inter tubes….

13. Rachacha says:

@TheSpatulaOfLove: True, but not many people have access to a fiber connected satellite dish or a T1 with MUX/DEMUX on either end where they can do a “live remote feed”. SKYPE and similar technologies are becoming more and more reliable, and offer as good, if not better audio and video than the cellular/satellite TV stations in a box that saw widespread use during the height of the Iraq war.

To push skype to the next level, organizations who do more of these “live feeds” will need to invest in a better quality microphone and use ear buds to provide a higher quality audio experience. There are entire networks that exist only on the internet that utilize Skype on a daily basis and have an audience that is on par with a cable some popular cable television stations. The difference being that instead of using the webcam’s built in microphone, or the cheap microphone that the newscaster had on his desk to communicate with Ben, they use professional microphones (or at least pro-sumer) that dramatically improve the listener/viewer experience.

I applaud the Station for trying to use “new” technologies, and it may lead to a more robust solutions in the future if more stations push the envelope.