UPDATE: Adobe Comes Through, Makes Dreamweaver Software Available To Customer Who Wants To Buy It

After we posted about a reader’s frustrated attempts to buy Adobe’s Dreamweaver, Adobe sent us an email, which we passed along to the reader. Over the weekend, she wrote in and said Adobe helped her solve her problems.

Our reader’s email:

I got in touch with the Adobe contact you forwarded, and a representative from Adobe Customer Care headquarters took over my case. Their explanation for the problem was:
“Your recent order was an Upsell, unfortunately the only qualifying product that would apply for this type of purchase is GoLive 9. With an Upgrade purchase a customer is able to upgrade from GoLive 5/6/7/8 – Version 8 is also labeled as CS2, with this information I am able to see where anyone would have thought that they would have been able to “Upgrade” from CS2 premium to Dreamweaver CS3. With all the different products and availability I can see where anyone can get confused, I know I do.”
Now, I don’t see how this can be, as the only two upgrade options available for purchase on the Adobe site are upgrade from Go Live 6/CS/CS2, or upgrade from Dreamweaver MX, MX 2004 or 8. Also, the screen that was giving me grief was asking me to choose which of Go Live 6/CS/CS2 I was upgrading from…
But anyway, they issued me a new serial number (via email) which allowed me to bypass the upgrade screen altogether, and activate the product properly. So I now have a working copy of the software I paid for, and I have thanked the representative for resolving the issue.
As a matter of record, I noticed in the comments to the story you ran that some people had mentioned that the Help menu on Adobe products rarely displays the full serial number. Although I forgot to mention it specifically in my original notes to the Consumerist, I had worked that out at some point, and gone back to my original disks for the full serial number. That hadn’t worked either.

A good tactic for discouraging people from illegally downloading your expensive software is to make sure that those who want to pay money for it are able to. Good work, Adobe.

PREVIOUSLY: Adobe: “It Would Have Been A Pleasure To Assist You With This Issue. [Unfortunately, We’re Totally Incompetent.]”

Comments

1. Mr_Human says:

Shouldn’t have taken 10 days to fix.

2. ForrestWhitakersLazyEye says:

Great pic for the post.

3. joebobfunguy says:

I hate to say this, but rob them blind. If you can figure out what version of what product you need, that is.

4. macinjosh says:

Crucial Taunt!

5. PsychicPsycho3 says:

I’m only reading this post because of Tia Carrere.

6. ViperBorg says:

@Mr_Human: Agreed. Yes, a good solution in the end, but still. This is something that should have been taken care of by a standard first level customer service tech. But nooooo….

7. Am I allowed to say under the new commenting rules that…

I posted in the original story that I did not think the OP qualified for the upgrade?

Yay for me or something?

8. Kick-ass Wayne’s World reference.

9. Kudos to all those who got the Wanye’s World reference, but double points to those who remember that Gary Wright performed the song. Or maybe they lose points, I can’t figure out if remembering Gary Wright is a positive or negative thing.

10. scerwup says:

Wow, imagine that, buying software and getting software that actually works. Congratulations Adobe, for doing something you should have done in the first place.

11. azntg says:

Even if the upgrade issue was a moot thing, this is the level of customer services that SHOULD have been offered to the customer, who’s plunking down a huge amount of money upgrade or retail.

Only after somebody kvetches at the Consumerist and the comments give the offending party a tonguelash do they ever bother to do what should’ve been done! Shame on you Adobe!

12. oneliketadow says:

I’m still confused after reading the first paragraph.