The WSJ Buzzwatch blog has a list of 50 things that are being blamed on the high cost of oil. Not all of them are bad, apparently my hometown of Elgin, IL is getting a new wind-turbine parts plant. [WSJ Buzzwatch via Kottke]

Comments

1. ConsumptionJunkie says:

Also, more shut-ins are losing Meals on Wheels service: [www.nytimes.com]

2. B says:

Those poor, poor kangaroo harvesters. I guess chasing them down would require a lot of gas.

3. TechnoDestructo says:

The one that really stuck out for me on that list is the school bus routes. As a driver I LOATHE it when buses unload at every single intersection (in areas with dense layouts, at least), or worse, at every HOUSE.

As a kid, I was invariably one of the first ones on and off the bus, and my 45 minute bus ride (to go 4 miles…and no, I’m not riding a bike in pitch dark on a road with no shoulder in that weather) could have been far shorter if the little darlings who just HAD to have their own stop right in front of their house…DIDN’T.

I already had to walk between 1/3 and 1/2 mile (depending where my stop was that year)…in some of the coldest weather in the Americas, to boot. The little bastards get no sympathy from me. Hoof it an extra hundred yards, tubby.

@ConsumptionJunkie:
    They covered that one.

4. JeffDrummer says:

@TechnoDestructo: I hear ya, in grade school I walked about a mile, this is in Granby, Qc. not particularly cold, but far colder than the US except Alaska.

I don’t get why every kid needs a stop in front of their house a 1/2 mile walk is good exercise anyway… Oh, but the parents don’t want to have to walk…

And good that we are creating jobs and new blue collar work and solving our energy problem at the same time. America is truly resilient…

5. snoop-blog says:

can we get weed added to the list? I tried to get my dude to run me a twenty and he told me he wouldn’t deliver anything less than a half. I’m like fo real?

6. @TechnoDestructo: “Hoof it an extra hundred yards, tubby.”

Comment of the day for me.

High gas prices: fixing obesity problems since 2006!

7. UTC says:

Wow, I’m currently reading this from Elgin, IL. Weird

8. @snoop-blog: Times are tough for everyone, man. :P

9. ShadowFalls says:

They say, “everyone just using oil as the fall guy” It isn’t that at all, just a fact. With the rising cost of oil, everything else costs more as well.

Think of the start of the line, say cereal. The cost of manufacturing has increased due to the cost of oil because of the use of oil in power plants that provide energy to the manufacturing plants. Then when it comes to transportation of the goods, the cost hits yet again.

Not to mention the cost of transporting the materials to make the product. The total cost of production and to the end of the line goes up so the price of items goes up. The only thing not going up are wages, and that isn’t a solution to the problem.

When oil companies are still making record profits, why should the economy be taking the hit like this?

The rising cost of oil is a direct link to the rising costs of everything else, people just aren’t looking at it from the right perspective.

10. TeraGram says:

22. Bacon and ham could get more expensive. (WSJ)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

28. Demand for wine is weakening. (Portland Business Journal)

Well, I assure you, it ain’t my fault! No, sir!

11. thelushie says:

@TechnoDestructo: I feel your pain on this one. I live in a rural area and the bus does stop at every door along the main route in town. It is annoying. Thing is, it stops at houses that are two blocks from the school. I don’t get it. When I was growing up (I can’t believe I am using that now!), I walked to school. It was not a long walk but would be downright cruel by today’s standards.

I would like to see them bring back bookmobiles. Some parents don’t value education in the area I live in, and I think that bringing books to the neighborhoods would be a good idea. At least in the area I am in.

12. varro says:

51. Dick Cheney forced to cut back on ivory backscratchers.

13. Dude! My hometown paper (peoria journal-star) is totally linked! #14

And it should be pointed out that virtually all of central IL ran out of salt last year, so I’m not sure the ENTIRE price increase is due to oil … some of it is clear profiteering.

As for #15, jucos cutting Friday classes, we’re so far only doing that for summer.

I am definitely rethinking one of my volunteer commitments. It’s 12 miles round trip. Gas is 13 cents cheaper there, which makes me more inclined, but at 30 mpg I only break even on filling my tank there; at 25 mpg, I’m paying a quarter.

14. ChuckECheese says:

I hope the Pizza Hut delivery fee increase is being paid directly to the delivery drivers. You know that many places don’t give that fee to the driver, right? At some places I’ve ordered from, the driver gets half the fee (Pizza Hut); at others (Papa John’s), none of it. Check with your place and see.

15. Trai_Dep says:

@varro: It’s okay. He can simply substitute the tiny infant femur bones once he’s finished dining.

16. Optimistic Prime says:

@ChuckECheese: You’re absolutely right. I try to find out before I order. Though I think the delivery fee was originally introduced to keep the drivers from getting burned by knuckleheads that don’t tip.

17. theblackdog says:

Noooooooooooooo, they can’t do that to my bacon, not my precious bacon!

They did mention more people were riding the T in Boston. Well more people are riding Metro in DC as well. Here’s their press release about ridership this year

[www.wmata.com]

Plus another press release showing their top 10 ridership days of all time, 8 of them were already set in the first 6 months of 2008.

[www.wmata.com]