An Apple store insider has leaked to us what they say will be some limitations and barriers on buying the iPhone Apple and AT&T stores will apply to the new iPhone 3g that goes on sale this Friday:
- Buyers will be ‘pre-qualified’ via a series of questions.
- Customers with corporate/business plans will have to go to AT&T to purchase their phones, only phone for personal use can be purchased at the store.
- You will be required to present valid US government ID to purchase the phone
- You will be required to provide your social security number to a store employee in order to do a credit check.
- You will be required to pick a plan and pay the activation fee at time of purchase.
- Phones will be activated in the store.
The last two have already been disclosed to the press but I think the rest is new information. If true, it looks like they’re really trying to cut down on iPhones being unlocked and getting resold overseas. Be sure to bring your driver’s license and memorize your social security number before camping out on Thursday night.