Worst Company In America: "Final Four" Countrywide VS Wal-Mart

Here’s your second “Final Four” matchup: #3 Wal-Mart VS #15 Countrywide Home Loans.

Time to get serious, folks. In this round we’ll take a look at the 5 most popular Consumerist stories for each company*:

Countrywide

Countrywide Invents Evidence In Foreclosure Hearing 38,583 views

Countrywide CEO Accidentally Emails Homeowner, Calls His Plea For Help “Disgusting” 19,631 views

Congress To Subprime CEOs: How Come You Got Paid Millions To Wreck The Economy? Hm? 9,306 views

Countrywide Home Loans Has Over 15,000 Repossessed Properties For Sale 8,895 views

Countrywide Is About To Foreclose On Ed McMahon 7,542 views

Wal-Mart:

Walmart “Junior” Panties Suggest That Your Genitals Are Better Than Credit Cards134,786 views

Walmart Nazi Tshirt Watch: Week 62 111,664 views

Detained And Harassed At Walmart For Not Showing A Receipt101,075 views

Walmart Tries To Steal Shopper’s Baby 91,364 views

Woman Receives Severe Chemical Burns From Flip Flops, Walmart Tells Her To Complain To Manufacturer 80,547 views

This is a post in our Worst Company In America 2008 series. The companies nominated for this honor were chosen by you, the readers. Keep track of all the goings on at consumerist.com/tag/worst-company-in-america.

( polls)

Comments

1. TouchMyMonkey says:

I have to go with Countrywide. The evil they wrought on the economy will be felt for years to come. Walmart is just another behemoth retail chain that sells cheap merchandise. $10 toasters that fall apart in a few weeks pale in comparison to the sort of economic upheaval Countrywide is inflicting on even the responsible people among us.

2. PunditGuy says:

A company that has played a part in almost shattering the economy versus a mortgage company.

I really don’t know what to do.

3. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Countrywide is winning! Yea!

4. attheotherbeach says:

As of yesterday, Countrywide is BofA. So those of you who hate both get a bonus!

5. I don’t know about you, but I sure had a real hard time choosing between these two well-oiled, democratic machines.

6. ark86 says:

As much as I dislike Wal-Mart, Countrywide has contributed to a collapse of the national economy by way of reducing consumer confidence. Heckuva job.

7. lua21 says:

Wal-Mart has hardly helped the economy either

8. Manok says:

Hard choice, but walmart get’s my vote just for the way they treat their employees. Country wide/BOA is just as shitty though. Crap. Can’t they both win?

9. EyeHeartPie says:

It’s a tough choice…all of the Final Four deserve a win.

10. johnva says:

@HurtsSoGood: Wal-Mart has also created a lot of economic upheaval in this country, to be fair. But I just think this is Countrywide’s year, given recent events.

11. ElizabethD says:

@lua21:
    True, but for people adversely affected by the economy, Wal-Mart is one of the few places they can now afford to shop for the basics. My (adult) son was out of work for several months and relied heavily on the nearest Wally-world for groceries, toiletries, and stuff like underwear/socks. I certainly couldn’t blame him for choosing to stretch his dwindling dollars.

12. geekfather says:

If this poll were being run by Diebold, I could have voted for both.

13. JeffDrummer says:

Two of the worst. I go for Countrywide, they bribed no less than six Democrats, including Sen. Dodd, that mean six public officials that have sold their votes to Countrywide.

[blogs.courant.com]

Wal Mart sucks, yes, and while they lobby, they don’t outright bribe Senators and destroy our Democracy.

14. JeffDrummer says:

@geekfather: And tomorrow Diebold wouldn’t be an option. ;)

15. JustaConsumer says:

Wal Mart is the worst company in America. Watch “The High Cost of Low Prices”. Wal Mart is destroying this country.

16. skahead says:

This is a hard one…

On one side you have a company that has forced and bullied its suppliers shut down operations in the US and move overseas. They also shut down stores if the word union or employee rights is uttered. They have ruined downtown mom and pop stores and destroyed communities.
    [www.pbs.org]

On the other side you have one of many bad lenders that offered loans to people who couldn’t repay them (a chunck of the issue is the ignorance of the people that signed the loan paperwork)

I vote Walmart. At least people who took out sub primes had the option of saying no (although it might not have been spelled out to them).

17. Eryk says:

Most difficult decision thus far.

Both are evil, both have caused more issues/pain with consumers than we can even fathom on this website.

Countrywide by a hair.

18. VA_White says:

This is also why I voted for Wal-Mart. Countrywide did bad things but people also have to take responsibility for their own finances.

19. Angryrider says:

Countrywide forces people out of their homes after tricking them out of their homes for a profit.
    Wal Mart ruins the American economy by forcing chinese products down our gullet AND demoralizes our citizens.

When it comes down to it, Comcast is the real winner here, because everything comes second to internet and cable tv.

20. incognit000 says:

Tough choice, but I had to go with Countrywide, because their malice is more intentional. Walmart’s evil comes purely from a complete lack of concern for it’s customers and employees. Countrywide agressively sought to cause evil, and may have singlehandedly brought about the collapse of the housing market.

21. Shadowfire says:

@Angryrider: Well, when you get down to it, you can go somewhere different than Wal-Mart, you can get a home loan from someone else, but many people have no choice but to use Comcast.

22. Jon_Danger says:

Yeah, Wal-mart is pretty horrible… but they didn’t cause an entire market of the economy to go spiraling downward.

23. JaguarChick says:

I voted Countrywide. As much as I dislike Walmart* and their hideous new orange logo (Gig ‘em Aggies!), Countrywide seriously messed with people’s lives and dreams. I agree that many of them should have known better. However, recent behavior by countrywide and how they have dealt with the subsequent crisis is what earned them my vote. IMO, the measure of a man or company is how they deal with the bad times, not the good.

Also, Angelo’s orange is far more vivid and textured than walmart*’s orange.

24. boss_lady says:

@EE: Yeah, it’s a toughie for sure.

25. oyvader says:

At this point, I’m going with Countrywide. They’ve done more to frak up the economy than Wal-Mart, hands-down.

26. SybilDisobedience says:

Walmart sucks, but I can go somewhere else for my groceries and clothes. Countrywide has singlehandedly destroyed the home market for everyone, cripping the US economy and putting all of us in financial peril, not just the unfortunate souls they gave all those subprime loans to.

27. I can see why the vengeance against Countrywide…I’m not convinced that they’re worse than Wal-Mart; Countrywide was only one gear in a whole machinery of wrongness that cause the housing problem, whereas Wal-Mart is economic devastation and sprawl all in one store.

It’s a close call for sure, though.

28. Sugarless says:

No contest – Countrywide wins.
    You can buy groceries etc at other stores if you don’t like Wal-mart. Countrywide customers did not have the same options.

29. lowercase says:

Hmm…Walmart tries to deliver products to people who can’t afford them otherwise and generally succeeds. Occaisionally mows down the economy of small communities.

Countrywide tries(tried?) to deliver products to people who REALLY couldn’t afford them otherwise and failed miserably. Mowed down the economy of our entire country. I think my vote goes to Countrywide.

30. johnva says:

@oyvader: Arguable, in my opinion. They’ve both harmed the economy in different ways.

@SybilDisobedience: Not singlehandedly, but they were certainly one of the big players.

@Mary Marsala with Fries: I’m mainly voting for Countrywide because I think they are more emblematic of this year’s failure coming out of Corporate America. Wal-Mart has been a blight on our country for quite awhile, so they’re more old news.

31. weezedog says:

Not only did countrywide wreck the mortgage industry, they wrecked securities and investments market, thereby forcing investers to the commodities market and driving gas up to $4+ a gallon, thereby driving the costs of food and other products through the roof.
    So they caused people to loose their homes, loose their jobs, loose their 401Ks and other investments, loose their cars because they can’t make payments or afford gas, and also causing millions of people around the world to starve. How could they not win worst company in america??????

32. techstar25 says:

Because of Countrywide, YOUR HOUSE, yes YOUR HOUSE is worth less today than a year ago.

33. SybilDisobedience says:

@johnva: Yes, I’m simplifying it somewhat, but they shoulder the lion’s share of the blame.

34. johnva says:

@lowercase: The biggest problem with Wal-Mart is the METHODS they use to deliver such cheap products. They strong-arm their suppliers, forcing them to cut quality and move production overseas (some manufacturers actually have a “Wal-Mart line” at their factories that gets less QA testing, etc in order to cut costs). They rip off their customers by selling them low-quality crap that breaks in a month (since all they care about is low prices to the exclusion of all else). They mistreat their own workers in order to keep labor costs down. And they force anyone who competes with them or supplies them to do similar things in order to stay in business.

Wal-Mart is emblematic of a whole mode of short-term-thinking capitalism that is rampant in this country. Focusing only on the costs of products costs us all more in the end.

35. bohemian says:

Both have done plenty to damage the economy but the sudden and severe impact on housing and other markets really screwed the economy and home ownership.

36. bobosgirl says:

Come on, Countrywide! I am so happy my hubby and I will no longer be enslaved by your company!

37. dallasmay says:

Yeah, this is tough. But I voted for Countrywide because this is 2008. Wal-Mart could win any year, but Countrywide deserves this prize this year. Wal-Mart, Exxon, Microsoft and the like should just get lifetime achievement awards and be bard from future participation unless they do some new inventive evil worth being included the the bracket that year.

For example, Comcast is experimenting with download limits. I think that yields a nomination this year. Maybe next year Wal-Mart

38. sleze69 says:

Walmart destroys local economies. Countrywide has destroyed the housing market…well…country-wide.

Countrywide FTW.

39. AceKicker says:

@Angryrider: You’ve been on this ‘boo Comcast’ kick for a while now. Sounds like you’re taking it personally.

Don’t oversimplify things. Comcast has a horrible reputation for customer service. A significant part of the market (including myself) have no alternatives available because of the way they divide the map with other communications companies.

And foremost, never underestimate the public outcry that results from restricting the free flow of information in this country. What sounds to you like “Waa, my bandwidth sucks!” can very much sound like skirting 1st Amendment rights to another. Americans have their hangups to be sure, but you do not screw with anything that could ever come close to infringing on the 1st Amendment with us.

40. AceKicker says:

@dallasmay: “Yeah, this is tough. But I voted for Countrywide because this is 2008. Wal-Mart could win any year, but Countrywide deserves this prize this year.”

I think you summed up my thinking process better than I could.

41. attheotherbeach says:

@JustaConsumer: Bullpucky. No one is “destroying” this country. We’re not on the right path at the moment, but we always come back stronger.

42. Myrddraal says:

@attheotherbeach: They probably said the same thing in Egypt, Greece, or Rome.

43. We can recover from what Countrywide has done. But unless there is a revolution in this country, we will not recover from what Wal-Mart has done. Wal-Mart is one of the main forces in moving factories to China. Try and do business with Wal-Mart. They give you a book called “how to do business with Wal-Mart”. One of the first suggestions, to meet their low buying price demands is to move to China.

On top of that, they put mom and pop stores out of business, and destroy small towns, and homogenize the country. We will no longer have towns with individuality and personality.
    We will just have Wal-marts and Applebee’s and TGIF Fridays and McDonald’s and Starbucks.

We will all be mindless drones drinking our 5 dollar coffees and eating Big macs in our gas guzzling suvs heading back to Wal-mart to re-buy the cheap lead tainted made in China product that has broken the last 4 times we bought it.

China doesn’t have to conquer us with military might. They already own us. Wal-Mart is helping them.
    If you consider yourself to be a patriotic American and you shop at Wal-mart, you are either a hypocrite or are completey ignorant of what you are doing.

To me Wal-mart wins this hands down. The only company more evil than them was not included in the contest. Monsanto. Monsanto and evil are synonymous.

44. scooby76 says:

I have not purchased anything from Wal-mart in so many years. I will not even follow a friend into the store, I would rather sit in the car and sweat than step foot into this place. Its evil and goes against every principle this country was founded on.

I know they will not win, but in my book they are the worst company in America.

45. @Myrddraal: Germany.

46. andys2i says:

My vote is for Walmart as a consumer. Countrywide as an investor.

47. Juggernaut says:

@JeffDrummer: Don’t be so sure that WalMart isn’t destroying our Democracy… there’s a lot of evidence to the contrary.

48. dallasmay says:

@SuburbanCowboy: “But unless there is a revolution in this country, we will not recover from what Wal-Mart has done.”

Actually we will recover. As fuel prices increase, the Wal-Mart style of business will make less and less sense. We cannot build electric cargo ships. We just can’t build batteries that big, and it is unlikely that we will go Nuclear for commercial shipping. Soon, I would say in 7-10 years, manufacturing will move back to the states. It will make no financial sense to ship raw materials around the world 4 to 5 times to make an iPod. Wal-Martization is a lame duck. That and soon people will not be able afford to drive 20 minutes for milk. Rather their will be more dense areas with smaller stores in your own neighborhood.

That is, unless you live in a Suburb that was designed from the ground up to discourage foot traffic and force the use of a car to get into or out of your sub-development. In that case, I would suggest you sell your home in the next 5 years before the suburbs collapse under their own shortsightedness.

49. katylostherart says:

god that was a tough choice.

walmart wins points for helping the poor clothe themselves with prices on par with goodwill sometimes.

why can’t we have a tie?

50. failurate says:

@Shadowfire: Have no choice? Cable is not a necessity.

51. Trust me, I'm a doctor says:

Both of these companies have done their part to destroy the economy. The difference is, Wally World has taken much longer and done more deep damage than Cuntrywide. Fact of the matter is, Cuntrywide took advantage of people who should have been smart enough to know they were getting a mortgage that was completely unaffordable. Their victims chose to do business with an obviously unscrupulous company. Wally World’s victims on the other hand, made no choice. They were harmed through no fault of their own. Wal-mart drives down wages and drives smaller businesses out.

52. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

@dallasmay:
    Actually there are designs for sail assisted cargo ships.
    I believe they are building some now.

53. rellog says:

@Manok: I agree…. we’re in a recession partly because of CW, but WalMart has forced much of our manufacturing out of the country, putting people out of work, sets standards for low pay, and is an all around evil entity… hard call here, but I’m going with WM…

54. Cap'n Jack says:

Countrywide FTW.

55. celticgina says:

If the winner gets a golden poop award, can the runner’s up get silver and bronze, like the olympics???

just asking…..

56. Nyses says:

Yup, tough choice. Seeing as I choose not to shop at Walmart (I have plenty of other shopping choices), and I also choose not to do business with Countrywide, I have to default to the fact that Countrywides lack of discresion and morals while giving away home loans has led to a nasty turn in the economy that is affecting me directly in many different ways.

57. ibored says:

we’re not bailing out Walmart with my tax dollars to pay there executives. Yea I know my taxes pay walmarts benefits to help make their stuff cheap but…I just think Countrywide still doesnt think it did anythign wrong.

58. attheotherbeach says:

@Myrddraal: Yawn.

59. Snarkysnake says:

@JustaConsumer:

Barack Obama or John Mc Cain or the producer of that video cannot call the CEO of Proctor & Gamble or Tyson chicken and tell them to reduce their price to consumers. The CEO of Wal Mart can. I want you ignorant fools that just mindlessly parrot this nonsense to tell me how that is a bad thing.Wal Mart is one store in a universe of thousands, no, millions. If you don’t like their way of doing things,shop at KMart. Or better yet,wake your beloved “mom and pop” store owner up at 3:30 in the morning and tell them you need some robitussin,diapers or pedialyte.They should be happy to come down and meet you at the store.

Go on back and watch “American Idol” now…

60. Sudonum says:

Countrywide. I sold a home in 2005, my loan was with Countrywide. My buyers new mortgage was also with Countrywide. Countrywide tried to charge me 10 additional days interest after closing “until the new loan funded”. I threatened to call the state AG about their “double dipping” on the interest. I had a check from them within 5 days. Bastards.

61. Kitteridge says:

I had a hard time with this one. They both are companies rooted in disreputable business practices, out to basically get theirs and disinterested in whether they’re making life better for anyone else out there, especially their workers.

But as much as it pains me to say, Wal-Mart largely just took advantage of the rules that existed and made the U.S. economy that much worse for it.

Countrywide flouted the rules that existed, outright lied and cheated and made the U.S. economy that much worse for it.

So shame on us for letting Wal-Mart exist, but shame on Countrywide for continuing to take breath. I voted Countrywide.

62. KyleOrton says:

@techstar25: But Countrywide also was responsible for the increase in the bubble before the prices dropped. The price drop is the correction, it’s that bubble that was the problem.

Add a ton of unqualified buyers to the pool and demand goes up artificially. That way, the people saving up for a house couldn’t afford it unless they too took a BS loan. The victims are the ones who couldn’t afford the house they saved for AND ACTUALLY CHOSE TO EITHER NOT BUY OR BUY ONE THEY COULD AFFORD.

On the other hand, when the market over-corrects and houses are worth less than they would have been without a bubble, you can blame Countrywide for DECLINING prices.

Either way, they get my vote.

63. dallasmay says:

“The price drop is the correction, it’s that bubble that was the problem.”

How come Price increases are “Rally’s” and price drops are “Corrections”?

64. it’s because of wal-mart and their kind that the quality of products is falling – affecting the entire world

thus they get my vote

65. maddypilar says:

This one is easy. Countrywide hands down.

66. SKURRY says:

Countrywide has only been ruining our economy for two years, Walmart has been for twenty. Countrywide made people lose their homes through bad loans. Walmart made many many people lose their homes due to forced outsourcing of manufacturing jobs and intimidation of local businesses.

67. Guard says:

I’ve gotten a letter pretty much every week since I bought my current house from Countrywide stating that I need to set up an appointment with them to talk about refinancing to get out of debt.

I could understand sending this out to people who have had houses for several years and have loans that may have variable rates that are about to adjust… but my rate isn’t going to adjust in less than a month from getting the loan. I’ve probably received at least 30 of these letters (I rip them up as soon as I get them anymore) and I haven’t had my house for a year yet.

68. TouchMyMonkey says:

@johnva: Well, Wal-Mart is good for something. It’s the whole Yin-Yang thing, you know. I remember having to go rescue my wife who was stranded with a dead battery, only to find out my jumper cables were FUBAR. Went to Wal-Mart, and yes, they were open at midnight and were happy to sell me a new set of jumper cables so I could get the old lady’s car started. It was friggin’ cold out, too. Given that, I can’t bring myself to give them the golden shit, as much Yang as exists within that organization.

69. battra92 says:

@dallasmay: Dude, you really don’t have any confidence or foresight at all. Don’t be such a reactionary.

I vote Countrywide. Really, who thought it was a good idea to give loans to anyone who asked for them.

70. ElizabethD says:

Well, just to annoy the Wal-Mart haters here, I went to Wally’s on my lunch hour and spent $42. HA HA HA.

Kidding. Actually I went to buy the new Los Lonely Boys CD, which has two extra tracks on the WM version… but they didn’t have it. Damn. So I bought some garden stuff and groceries instead.

71. james says:

Nice. Two companies that have probably harmed the American economy more than all others. I’ll go with Countrywide because they are a sharper strike while Walmart slowly leaches.

72. Walmart is definitely soulless and sterile, but to be able to go somewhere for just about anything, 24 hours a day, 363 days a year? That’s some pretty serious consumer empowerment. My Japanese friends posited that their entire culture would benefit from something like that (ie, not having to rely on narrow store hours, high prices, and professional services for everything on the house/car). I had to explain what “mixed blessing” meant.

I think the problem stems from our demands as consumers. Walmart is doing the same thing any successful entrepreneur would do…if their idea grew and grew and got so out of control, nobody was really running it cohesively anymore.

Countrywide provided a commodity-level service, but did so very poorly and did not help anyone out along the way.

73. synergy says:

ugh

74. INsano says:

WalMart’s practices are beyond immoral, they’re evil. Evil however is perfectly legal in capitalistic societies. WalMart just perfected the understanding of global capitalism before others.

Countrywide’s overall practices seem more sinister, and as we may come to see through court cases, were even illegal in some instances.

It’s rather silly to try to grade evil…but as messed up as WalMart is, the prize goes to Country on this one.

75. Jones91 says:

I dont think wal*mart is that bad, countrywide i dont think is so terrible either but i voted countrywide.

76. Trai_Dep says:

As evil as Wal-Mart is, and how much they’ve damaged our country, there’ll always be next year. Countrywide owns this year, by a mile.

77. OMG, a company more evil than Walmart. The world is coming to an end!

78. Can’t vote for Walmart because it’s a league on its own. Start write-ins for lifetime achievement award to them.

79. wildness says:

I know Countrywide’s loan policies have really dented the economy recently, but voting for them over Wal-Mart is like saying that a dent in the door is worse than your car being totaled by falling 5000 feet over the rim of Grand Canyon.

Wal-Mart’s impact on the economy is far greater – they opened the door for everything (POSSIBLY EVEN THAT AMERICAN FLAG YOU FLY ON FRIDAY) to be made in China, which by the way will surpass the US in CO2 emissions sometime this year (they are already far larger polluters than the US).

Ultimately, Wal-Mart is contributing the destruction of humankind at a minimum and the at worst the planet as a whole!

80. hoffmeister_hoff says:

Wal-Mart takes it hands-down. Countrywide is only guilty of excessive greed never before seen and possibly responsible for a not so distant global meltdown of the financial system. But thats it. Their actions pale against WalMart’s everyday facist operations.

Here’s a store that harrasses you about using a credit card by demanding ID in defiance of their merchant agreement, THEN demands to see the receipt for the paid for goods that they harrassed you for over the payment, and usually the individual who demands the receipt witnessess you having to fork over your ID for payment.

WalMart has no regard for civil rights, laws or any rules that they don’t agree with. On the micro level, they ripoff customers with their industry high incorrectly rung items.

They build bleak, depressing boxes using illegal labor and employ those that life passed by a long time ago. The crap they sell is low in price because its their own private label crap. As far as brand names go, there prices aren’t that low.

I think next, they’ll be instituting a strip search and body cavity probe in order to keep the prce of potato chips and tampons cheap.

WalMart wins WCIA 2008!

81. hoffmeister_hoff says:

What else is funny is that Countrywide lent me 7750K on an undocumented, no income, no asset loan, while WalMart demanded an ID for a credit card purchase of $13.71, then wanted the receipt on the way out.

82. BlazerUnit says:

@geekfather: “If this poll were being run by Diebold, I could have voted for both.”
    —–

I tip my hat to you, sir.

83. BlazerUnit says:

Wal-Ma…excuse me, Walmart* is doing more long term damage, as several people have pointed out. But I still felt compelled to vote for Countrywide.

Knowing how CW and other lenders intentionally sold bad loans to both deadbeats AND honest buyers, I couldn’t equate that with Walmart*’s relentless obsession with a low bottom line in every expense. Countrywide gets my vote, as it continues the ugly trend of financial organizations trying to have it both ways (giving credit to any living being, then lobbying against consumer protections on personal debt).

84. girly says:

I followed the link to one of the Countrywide back stories about the CEO thinking that form letters asking for assistance were ‘disgusting’.

Some commenters seemed to empathize with the CEO and liken a form-letter (as opposed to more ‘original’ ones?) to spam. But I see a major difference. Spam is written the same way because they don’t care who you are. A person needing help from a company, however, might not know how to approach it and is likely using a form letter for help in communicating with the company.

85. lauy says:

This is a tough one for me…

I’ll stick my neck out here and admit I work for BofA, have for many years. I spent the first few months of the year hearing how WONDERFUL the Countrywide merger was going to be. Now, in recent months, not so much. The completion of the sale came and went without one word, unusual for BofA internal “press”.

Now, on the other hand, when I think of Walmart, I wonder…how many of the shady, fraud laden loans approved by Countrywide were made to Walmart employees? Probably a good number. Why? Because Walmart keeps its employees poor. They seem to prey on those that can be easily preyed upon. I recall reading a figure once that 75% of Walmart’s employee base cannot afford the partial company funded health insurance. For one of the largest employers in the US, this is outrageous.

I have gone back and forth on this one, and I just can’t decide.

86. magnus150 says:

Countrywide by a light year.

87. civicmon says:

Countrywide is 100x worse than Wal Mart. Wal Mart isn’t a saint but it’s another a-typical retailer that has too many arms and no control over most of them.

Countrywide has helped screw over the lives of what could be a million people. Losing a job isn’t the end of the world but the financial ruin of drained 401Ks and credit destruction takes many many years to unwind.

Wal-Mart indirectly could be blamed but the reality of it is that despite “outsourcing” unemployment today still sits well below historical averages. We used to consider 6% “full employment” and we’ve only reached that a handful of times on a month-to-month basis since the early 90s.

88. orsham says:

Being in the banking business for 20 years, I see Countrywide as one of the biggest players, in a mortgage world that has gone sour. They did some bad things, but really are getting slammed for being the biggest in the banking world. Of course they ll have the most foreclosures.. they have sold the most loans by far of any bank out there.

Personal dealings with C WIDE were about a 7 on a 1-10 scale. They did have some innovative programs and were pretty agressive. Also had a good software system.

I think people forget the responsibility of the consumer in all the foreclosures( Ed Mcmahon is a prime example).

Yes there is a small percentage of people that were pushed into a house they couldnt afford. However I d bet 80-90% of the peopel that are in default are in default because of poor management skills of their income and expenses. People love to blame others. Take responsibility for your issues.

Walmart on the other hand… I ll steal a line I saw from someone else

Walmart is China’s TROJAN HORSE to America

If people REALY RESEARCHED all the damage that WALMART is doing to America .. they would PUKE!

Most know the basics

Crappy treatment to employees
    Greedy
    Wiping out small town America
    Taking advantage of American taxpayers
    Beating down suppliers
    ENCOURAGING suppliers to move to overseas

They STOP at nothing to get a lower price FOR THEM..Some they pass on to the consumer, and MOST goes to the boys in Arkansas.

In essence…they are a MONOPOLY who is out of control and is forcing people to buy Non-American products( and other stores who try to compete, copy this non american products)
    They are forcing all sorts of American people out of a job.

All to save a few pennies per product. Short term gain, long term WE ARE SCREWED in AMERICA.

IN the end though its the consumer who has the final say on where they spend their buck!!

I encourage ALL to read the book.. How Walmart is DESTROYING AMERICA….

My vote is easliy WALMART….

We only have one country.

They(WALMART) will just move to other countries after they suck America dry( and they already are by the way!)

TA Smith
    Creator, http://www.smile-therapy.com

89. @orsham: Do you really need to shamelessly pitch your website here? In an incoherent way no less.

90. magnus150 says:

@orsham: you could just, ya know, not shop there. I worked there a while ago and they seemed to treat me just fine, got 3 breaks a day and an hour lunch.

91. Xerloq says:

Is it a coincidence that the top four stories today are about Wal Mart?

92. ogman says:

Countrywide doesn’t even exists anymore. Voting for them seems like voting for a dead guy!

93. james says:

@ogman: I don’t understand your statement that they don’t exist. They are actively involved in a number of lawsuits and are actually still making loans.