UPS: Please, Please Stop Forging My Signature

A mysterious sounding reader known only as “sonic boom” emailed the tipline today, asking for advice on how to get UPS to stop forging his (?) signature when leaving packages with the local florist. We say Mr. Boom should consider himself lucky… we can’t even get UPS to ring our doorbell. Ever.

I have a question about UPS it seems might be up The Consumerist’s alley:

Can they leave a package addressed to me with a third party, yet write my name in the Signature line as though I had received it?

This isn’t high on my list of world problems to tackle, but on the other hand, my polite requests haven’t yielded any results so far. To explain:

Like countless New Yorkers, I live in an apartment building. As must be the case for many who are at work during the day and don’t have a door man, UPS sometimes leaves packages with the building’s Super or, more often, at the florist’s on the ground floor of the building. This has been going on for years and seems to work for everybody; easier for the driver, convenient for us residents.

Recently, however, a new wrinkle has appeared. The driver is leaving my packages at the florist’s while I’m at work, but the tracking website each time indicates they’ve been mysteriously signed-for by me even though I wasn’t there to receive them. When I call UPS, they tell me, “Yes, I see here your package was delivered and signed for by [MY NAME] at 1:15 PM today…”

“Wha? Huh? At 1:15 PM I was at work, and couldn’t possibly have been there to sign for it…”

“Well, that’s what our system shows, sir.”

The first two times this occurred, it didn’t really bother me since I received my packages same as always and it didn’t seem worth complaining about. (I should say here that in the past, packages were always signed-for by the Super or somebody at the florist’s.)

After the same thing happened a third time, I decided to ask a few questions. The CSR at UPS said he had no idea why this was the case and agreed my name shouldn’t appear in the system when they leave a package with another party. He assured me he would forward a message to a local Supervisor, who would call me back. The Supervisor called within an hour and I explained the situation. She said she understood my concern and would “have a talk with the driver.”

When I ran into the UPS driver on my block a week or so later, I asked him about the signature. He was friendly about it and told his Supervisor mentioned it to him, but said he hadn’t entered my name on the signature line, but that it had something to do with “The System.” He didn’t elaborate. The System. I thanked him and dropped it, thinking it was over.

Until it happened again the 4th, 5th, and just today, 6th times. The same cycle repeats: I track the package online. It’s delivered to the florist’s but mysteriously appears signed-for by me. I call UPS and the CSR informs me the only option is to forward a message to the local Supervisor. When he or she calls me back, I explain I have absolutely no problem with UPS, the driver, or the delivery arrangement, except for the part where my name falsely appears on the signature line. Each time, a different Supervisor claims to understand and says they’ll address the issue with the driver.

I’m just wondering what I might do here. I mean, is it even legal to sign someone else’s name like this? Is this a candidate for the dreaded EECB?

sonic boom

All joking aside, we could see how this would be a little annoying– particularly if someone decides to start stealing your packages after you’ve “signed for them.” Here area few email addresses for some UPS executives so you can launch your EECB.

Good luck to you.

(Photo: zyphbear )

Comments

1. blong81 says:

What kind of legal recourse can you take for someone forging your signature in this way?

2. attheotherbeach says:

File a criminal complaint for forgery. That should stop it.

3. SkokieGuy says:

Could it be that someone else (the building super) when signing for the package signs the OP’s name rather than his own?

If the super signs his own name and the package is stolen, the super could be liable, so he’s willing to receive the package but not sign for it (in his own name).

Just my guess.

4. oyvader says:

WHen I lived in a two-family house, the UPS guy would sign the package slip as Mr. F. Rontdoor, and leave them in our enclosed porch.

Everybody got their packages, and nobody had to forge anything.

5. Pylon83 says:

@attheotherbeach:
    The problem is if you go to far with this, like calling the police, you risk UPS refusing to leave packages with ANYONE but the OP. I imagine if he frequently receives packages this could present an issue. UPS may throw up their arms and say “Fine. Don’t leave the packages with ANYONE but the addressee for this guy. He’s a liability and we can’t take any risks.”

6. eskimo81 says:

We had a similar problem with UPS at work.

The UPS driver came one day, and couldn’t find anyone in our recieving department, then forged the signature of one of our normal recievers.

The reason we clued in was that the reciever he picked to forge a signature for was away on vacation that week, and not even in the same country.

We made complaints about it, and when we confronted the driver, he stated that his supervisor understood that sometimes the drivers have to forge signatures, but that he was upset the driver was caught.

We stopped taking shipments by UPS and asked our vendors to use purolator instead.

7. hills says:

I’d talk to the florist – or whoever is signing your name – but then like others said, you run the risk of them not signing at all and having a much harder time getting your packages…

Perhaps the florist is tired of accepting your deliveries?

8. badhatharry says:

Can you have things delivered to your work instead?

9. britne says:

i had this happen with the USPS once.
    paid to have something overnighted, signature confirmation and all.
    person receiving the package never got it.
    talked to USPS – they said “well it was signed for”
    got them to tell me who signed and when – it was a neighbor (which, out in the country, is a couple miles away) and not even the name of the recipient.
    she got her package from him, but USPS would give no recourse for delivering it to the wrong person, with a different signature.
    *sigh*

10. kitkatsplash says:

I solved this issue by having packages delivered to my office. I would just be thankful that I got my packages and leave it like that—it’s New York, after all, and if you don’t have a doorman you are out of luck. If they don’t have a 3rd party to leave it with on the last delivery attempt, you’ll end up having to TREK it to one of the UPS shipping hubs in NYC. I once had to walk about a mile from the subway stop to a hub in Queen when this happened. So, maybe don’t press your luck?

That being said, if you were getting something worth lots of bucks, and it was signed for, but then disappeared, you’d have a lot of issues on your hands. I’d switch to work as my primary delivery address, if I were you.

11. humphrmi says:

Oooh boy, a tough one. Get jiggy wid da peeps, and you don’t get your loot anymore. On the other hand, accept the status quo and then one shipment gets lost and they say “you signed for it” and you have no recourse.

In my case, I have a FedEx office near my house. After the drivers come back in from their daily routes, I can go there… I think until about 7:00 PM… and pick up any packages that couldn’t be delivered. I like that better. So I just don’t use companies that ship UPS. Sounds snarky, but true, so far it’s worked for me.

12. mike says:

It’s a double-edged sword. The convienence of the package being dropped off vs. signing for the package.

Can’t have it both ways, I assume…unless you’re willing to let the florist act on your behalf (Limited Power of Attorney, but that may be a bit too extreme).

13. Easy answer. Request a signature copy. You can see what was written. There’s you proof as to what was put down. If it’s an “X”, then is it really forgery. The one way to get out of this is for the driver to put “See Photo ID” in the box. Supposedly that is never considered a signature.

14. myprozacdream says:

what’s bad about this is if a package is signed for, you cannot file a tracer with ups because the signer is “taking responsibility” for the package to get to you. i only know this from my job, and it causes all kinds of problems if someone doesn’t receive the package.

I would definitely file some sort of legal complaint if they still don’t comply, but tell them first that if they don’t comply you will go to the police (since forgery is a crime) and see if anything changes.

15. CharlieInSeattle says:

It’s very simple, Forgery is a Felony in most states. File a criminal complaint.

16. existent80 says:

I’m in the same situation as the OP. I was expecting a package but got no door tag. When I looked online, it said “Delivered” with my signature. So I called the UPS 1-800 number and was told insistently that someone had signed for it, that it is in my building, and that they have no more information than the website. After a bit of haggling, the rep said, “Oh, there’s a note here that says CLNRS. Does that mean anything to you?” Sigh, yes, that’s my dry cleaner around the corner. I’m glad my UPS driver knows me & his route enough to leave packages for me there, but (1) leave me a door tag, (2) don’t forge my signature.

17. mergatroy6 says:

I wouldn’t let UPS touch my package, let alone sign it. That pen they use looks like it would hurt. (couldn’t resist)

18. Skankingmike says:

my ups driver does the same thing.

which is why i use fedex :P they may be annoying with the whole “won’t leave package thing” but at least i don’t get forged signatures.

19. azntg says:

What’s wrong with just holding the package and letting the addressee pick up the package themselves or requesting redelivery at a better day?

Real estate and “convenience” is really at a major premium, huh?

20. Concerned_Citizen says:

This sucks, but I have a feeling anything you try to do will just cause UPS to flag you and only leave packages directly with you. So unless you want to start receiving packages at work, I would leave it alone.

21. baristabrawl says:

Could it be that the Florist or Super is signing your name?

22. NotATool says:

Maybe it’s the florist? He will accept your packages but doesn’t want to be responsible for them. Maybe another resident complained to him about a lost package. Maybe he started accepting packages as a courtesy then it got out of hand? Maybe he spends too much time on taking care of people’s packages, with zero benefit to him.

Maybe the solution is to start buying more flowers!?!?

23. mythago says:

There is no “system” forcing the driver to do this. Either the florist is putting your name down and the driver is winking at it, or the driver is lying. The driver could certainly put down the name of the person at the florist’s shop who took your package.

Unless the package is flagged “signature required”, the driver is NOT required to get a signature at all. He’s trying to cover his ass in case the florist keeps your package or it gets stolen – oh, but Mr. Customer signed for it! honest!

24. LatinoGeek says:

I have a similar problem, UPS and Fedex will not ring my doorbell or knock on my door. They either 1. Leave the attempted to deliver… Post-it or, 2. My nosy downstairs neighbor signs for it. And recently (last week), Fedex put my name as the person who signed and left it with my neighbor.

25. copious28 says:

this wouldnt happen to be THE sonic boom?
    [www.allmusic.com]

26. Ihaveasmartpuppy says:

The sub for our normal UPS guy did this to me. Actually he even left it on the front porch of a house down the street with my signature forged. The people at that house were out of town. When I called the local UPS office they kept telling me he delivered it to me and I signed for it. So I had them have the guy come out to my house. After the third time of him not showing up but the UPS office calling me to say I wasn’t home when he came I went out to the road and looked around – sure enough, there was the brown truck way down the road with a bewildered guy looking around. Honestly, the house number he was at was totally different from my house number, he must have been a complete idiot to get it wrong. His only excuse was that he was busy and had a lot of packages to deliver. He was a cocky little snot too. I complained to the local office manager about that one.

27. theblackdog says:

A UPS driver did this to me as well, and my DSL modem ended up vanishing (and someone in my apt complex has a free wireless modem and router) because of it

28. GirlCat says:

I wouldn’t use UPS if I had this problem. It’s not a matter of snottiness, it’s a matter of having no recourse if a package is stolen or damaged because it was “signed for.”

29. BankOfFees says:

At a NYC walkup, the UPS driver did this for almost every delivery (about 30 times total). I saw him forge the signature on the lobby security camera. I complained via phone multiple times and in person to a supervisor at their NYC pickup center. Nothing changed.

30. BankOfFees says:

Oh, btw, one time a package was stolen or not delivered. UPS said it was signed for (it was forged). I quickly mentioned the lengthy history of forged signatures, along with the proof that I had, and UPS very quickly paid for the amount of goods that were to be delivered (about $250)

31. quail says:

UPS does have a long history of ignoring the need for signatures. Their drivers work in a culture that doesn’t allow for time it needs to get a signature or to worry about attempting future deliveries of a package. So they forge a signature and leave the package.

This got my wife upset when our computer was unceremoniously left at the front door without us signing. But at least the door bell was rung.

I’ve yet to have this problem with FedEX or the post office.

32. unsunder says:

Drivers have a hard time finding our house. They’ll often leave it at a neighbors house and I have to find which neighbor. More than once they’ve just left a package on a random porch. It’s signed “Smith” even though it’s just on their porch and no one is home. There does happen to be a sign on their house that says; “The Smiths”. I’ve thought about making a claim that I didn’t get it, they wouldn’t have much recourse.

33. Starfury says:

The UPS driver that delivers to my house will leave the items on the porch unless it requires a signature. He usually is there between 3-6pm and someone’s home at that time. The porch can’t be seen from the street so any packages are semi-safe there if we’re not home.

He’s 10x better than one of the USPS guys…he walked up, took a small box (6″ cube) from his bag and dropped it on the porch.

34. Speak says:

@azntg: The UPS facility where my packages go for pickup is waaaaay out on the fringes of Brooklyn. I don’t own a car, which means I have to pay for a cab, rent a car, or spend two hours on public transit to get there and back. If I chose to have my packages redelivered, it would mean having to take time off from work because no one not even my neighbors (I live in an apartment building) are home during the day. And they don’t redeliver on the weekends.

35. dorianh49 says:

Watch out. You don’t want to be brownlisted for making waves.

36. Mike8813 says:

“… we can’t even get UPS to ring our doorbell. Ever.”

So true.

37. cyclade says:

Sigh. Another reason why I don’t miss living in NYC. (Joking – it’s not your fault.) Before you bring down the messy hammer of the law here, why not just ask the nice folks who are doing you a favor by accepting your packages to please sign their own names so that you know where to find the package? Or, get in touch with the local distribution center to sort it out. I know it’s not the “New York way” to talk it out and be reasonable with people in a city where everyone assumes that everyone else is running a scam (or is actually running a scam), but why not just ask?

Tip for everyone – ship to your place of work, if at all possible. I think you can also have things delivered to a “UPS Store” (nee Mailboxes, etc.) for pickup. I did this with a replacement computer monitor once. I had to walk a few blocks to get it, but it was better than having to take a taxi to the distribution center 10 miles away. UPS also has the nifty feature where you can “intercept” a delivery to your home using the tracking number and other info, and re-direct it to another location (such as your office, a friend’s place, etc.). It extends the delivery time a day or two as things get sorted out, but it works pretty well.

38. RobertW.TX says:

UPS is the best of the bunch in Texas any way. I work for an IT department so we receive packages constantly from UPS. No complaints. Occasionally they will leave a package behind our receptionist’s desk but they don’t sign her name. The driver just enters “Front Desk” for the Recipient with no signature.

FedEx and DHL seam to get lost trying to find the proper building around here.

39. Corydon says:

I really hate companies that use UPS exclusively, to the extent that I’ll take my business elsewhere if I can’t get them to use the USPS.

UPS has a policy of of giving you a delivery window of something like 8 AM to 6 PM. And they don’t deliver on weekends or holidays, so if I’m expecting a package, I either need to take a day off work or I need to drive up to their distribution center (about 30 minutes away).

Meanwhile, the post office is within easy walking or biking distance, so even if I miss a delivery, it’s a simple matter to pick up the package.

40. Corydon says:

@cyclade: I would ship to my place of work, but mostly what I get two things in the mail: prescriptions (which I don’t want coming to my work for privacy reasons) and fairly large boxes from places like Newegg, which are impractical to carry on a bike or public transit.

41. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

I live in a quiet suburb. ALL of the couriers (UPS, Fedex, DHL…) ring the doorbell, leave the package by the door, and run away. Last week I came out just as the driver was getting back into his truck. I realized that he had delivered to the wrong house and yelled and waved. He couldn’t hear me and gave a friendly wave back as he drove off. I could have kept the package, but that would be wrong, and no one would have been the wiser.

42. Gilbert Tang, Jr. says:

This will sound sensationalist and illogical, but UPS has an absolutely abominable track record with me.

Of the dozens of times I’ve interacted with the company throughout my life, literally ZERO (no, seriously, ZERO, as in the absence of ANY) transactions have gone through without a hitch.

I’ve seen everything, from that described in this article, to damaged shipments, to lying about me not being home, to even receiving the wrong package. At some point, I stopped believing I just had shitty luck and realized the company is just garbage.

Case in point: I have two packages coming from one order. One came yesterday, three days later than intended. They said it was due to adverse weather conditions. I checked their route (as posted via tracking info) and after some research, I wrote UPS informing them of the truth: the average weather in the areas they claimed were adverse was 79 degrees Fahrenheit and sunny. Of course, I got a canned response. As for the second package due tomorrow, we’ll have to see if the trend continues. They never cease to amaze and surprise.

IMGO, based on their track record (in addition to the experiences many of my associates have had), if you do not have to use UPS and it doesn’t cost a ton more, go with another company.

43. mountaindew says:

Just ask the Florist, nicely and diplomatically, to sign “Florist”, or the Super to sign “Super”, so that you know where to retrieve the package when you get home, while tracking the status of the delivery at work.

I once signed “ok” for someone’s package and the UPS guy didn’t even care.

44. HonestNigerian says:

I guess UPS just sucks. I’ve been having problems with our delivery driver. WE live in the condo unit. so the UPS guy walks around and pastes notices on the doors. doesn’t knock. even when you are home. I stopped him once and asked why? and he said because people come to d door naked or are smoking pot and he has to take drug tests and doesn’t want that to affect him. I promised I wouldn’t do either and i’m usually home and want my packages. Still no change. he does’t even bother bringing the packages up. just leaves them at the management office. .
    anyways, I had to email the UPS execs. I had reported the driver to the local ups office 5 times in 2 months and still not change. I emaild the execs and they said they spoke to him. I haven’t had a package since so we’ll see.
    UPS isn’t forging your signature. it’s called and electronic signature. I know because I used to work at the distribution center. they capture and keep your signature and can use it for future deliveries. So it might show someone who wasn’t at work signed for a package

45. ellastar says:

UPS might interpret the signature to be whoever it’s being delivered to, regardless of what the signature actually looks like. Whenever I’ve gotten Fed-Ex packages (not sure if they work the same way as UPS regarding signatures in the system), it lists who supposedly signed for the package on the tracker, and also shows the actual signature. My boyfriend and my friend have signed for my packages when I wasn’t home, and when I checked the tracker online to see if it had been delivered, it listed my boyfriend’s initial and my last name when he signed, and my friend’s first initial and some completely random last name when she signed. The thing is, both of them signed their own names. I recognized their handwriting when I viewed the scan of the signature.

46. mizmoose says:

@oyvader: F. Rontdoor? I used to date his cousin, B. Ackdoor. Nice guy, but he really had his head up his butt.

(I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist)

47. shorty63136 says:

As a former member of UPS operations management (not that high up – down in the dirt w/ the rest of the folks), I can honestly tell you that there may be a good reason for this.

Check with your landlord to see if they’ve authorized for packages to be re-routed to a nearby store or something. This happens all the time and people don’t realize it. Since they own the property, they can do this without your authorization. You need to speak to the florist and tell him/her NOT to sign YOUR name and to sign their own. It doesn’t have to be YOUR signature as long as somebody accepts it. If they leave it on the step with no signature, that’s perfectly in line with UPS policy as long as it doesn’t indicate Adult Signature Required or is a HazMat or Next Day Air package.

If you live in an area where UPS has experienced theft (from the driver or after the package has been delivered on numerous occasions), you live in a No Driver Release area and they may bypass you or ask the landlord where they ARE able to deliver it. Again – not your say-so.

If you’re expecting a package, I really suggest that you have it delivered to your work or some other place where you know it’ll be signed for and safe. OR leave a note on the door saying that you’d like to pick it up at the customer counter – although if I’m not mistaken, delivery to NYC is handled out of the Meadowlands facility, but there may be a package/hub facility where you can pick it up.

The driver is more than likely NOT the one signing for it, especially if they’re leaving it at a business – it’s probably that business-owner that’s signing for it.

If you call customer service, tell them you want the number the PACKAGE CENTER or HUB where your packages are delivered out of. They CAN give that to you. Talk to the OSM in the center and tell them your issue. Most of them are happy to help even though they are MAJORLY swamped all the time.

Hope this helps.

48. jsch222 says:

One of the big things UPS is pushing drivers is to get rid of packages. Due to rising fuel cost and them having to come to an address up to 3 times before the package is held at the center. Supervisors and managers push drivers to indirect package to alternate addresses so they don’t have to rehandle your package. I would suggest that you just have it simply shipped to your work. Also you can contact the center that your driver belongs to and have them put in a note for your particular address as to where you want it left at in the event that you are not home. It is pretty simple and every time your address gets a package the DIAD board that your UPS man uses prompts him as to what to do if you aren’t there. You should be able to tell your driver also if you see him. You should definitely do that so that any vacation driver is delivering he knows what to do. As for the guy signing your name. Your driver can be terminated for that. UPS has strict policies on not forging anything, especially for customers. I know of a driver that was signing for Anheiser Busch and leaving their packages on their dock and got fired without any questions asked. For a smaller customer it would probably be a non expense paid vacation, then if it happened again he would be fired. Just my 2 cents.

49. teqjack says:

Odd. I prefer UPS (or, believe it or not, USPS) for packages because the driver almost always knocks, while FedEx NEVER does. And who thinks FedEx won’t drop the package without a signature? ALL of my packages which come via FedEx are dropped on what looks like the back porch, but actually is (as posted on its door) actually a different street address – and yes, I am at home since I am now disabled and have not left the [ground floor, front stoop/door] apartment for over six months (aside: thank you PeaPod for grocery deliveries). Where I used to live, FedEx usually put the package on my back porch – which was actually mine – but sometimes next-door. On one occasion, FedEx did leave a note and take the item back to their distribution center – once, in many years.

50. RedSonSuperDave says:

“I signed it G. Gavin Gunhold. He’s the shipper-receiver around here.”

51. forgottenpassword says:

I lost a package due to some POS postal carrier who forged the name of the guy I was sending it to. I put the name of the package’s recipient as “A. Carter” (written in print). The recipient even had a note on his back & front door saying NOT to leave packages. The recipient contacts me wanting to know where his package was as it never arrived. I called the USPS & they sent me a slip they say the recipient signed…. it was signed “A. carter” (it wasnt actually signed… it was printed). And said they couldnt do anything since they had a signed slip.

I guess what happened was that the lazy postal carrier didnt want to have to redeliver & signed the slip himself & since it didnt have the full name…. he signed it “A. Carter”. DOnt know if he actually stole the package himself or the package was stolen off the recipient’s porch. (note: this was in New jersey…. so who knows!)

Miserable SOB.

52. cac67 says:

I’ve always signed for packages as “Wrong House.” No reason, just thought it was funny. No one has ever noticed, and recently they’ve all been dropping it and running like its an FBOC.

53. trujunglist says:

Get it delivered to your work, then you don’t have to worry about it.

54. HOP says:

i once had an amateur radio valued at $1500 just left sitting on my steps…..we were away for the day…..luckly we were living in a decent neighborhood…..someone coulda copped the radio and i wouldn’t have known a thing about it…..

55. DeadWriter says:

To throw this out there, I have had the problem with FedEx and DHL.

Once, as something sensitive was lost, I placed a tracker and eventually turned out that the signature was forged. Amazingly the envelope was found on the loading dock at night, but after the deadline! The office admin. managed to get partial refund on that and another package.

56. sleepyeyes says:

I have a slightly less sinister and more probable possibility. I don’t work for ups but for a franchise ups store so we we obviously deal with them all the time. Here in Texas there service is really second to none but i suppose it differs from location to location. That is beside my point though. It is more likely that the physical receiver, the florist in this case, is signing for the package and the driver is typing in the addressee’s name instead of asking what the name of the signer is. Most signatures are nowhere near legible. So i’d say its more likely the driver pulled up said he had a packer for NAME and the florist said he’d take it and signed. The driver then typed in NAME instead of asking for the florists name. It’s not a good move by the driver but much less sinister than out and out forgery.

57. 310Drew says:

I’m guessing your driver is not asking for the name of whoever is signing for the package. I used to get a-lot of deliveries and knew the drive quite well and he said if they don’t ask for a name and let someone else sign for it, the system automatically inputs the name of whoever the package was address to. Sounds like a lazy drive or perhaps he just does not know any better. I would think he would though, seeing as it usually takes about 10 years before you make it out of the warehouse and onto a route.

58. mdoneil says:

I don’t accept shipments from UPS. I find FedEx works fine, and will keep a signature release on file. USPS is great, DHL not so bright. UPS has a more than 50% error rate – not delivered, not ringing the bell when I am home, once the guy brought me some golf clubs in a crushed box with a tire mark on it and became annoyed when I told him I wasn’t accepting it.

Most companies can send things the way you prefer, amazon appears to be the exception, but after the sixth time I refused something by UPS they finally stopped trying to send things UPS and now just mail them.

Failing that get a post office box. There certainly are 24 hour post offices in the city, so have your packages sent there. It forces the shipper to use USPS, and while you are required to pick it up, the package is safe and dry in the interim. It is not at some warehouse in Queens.

When I lived in the city I had a box at the one near MSG, it was open 24 hours to pick stuff up and if it was a package or certified letter you can still get it all hours.

59. Gilbert Tang, Jr. says:

UPDATE ON PACKAGE #2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you read my comment above (HERE) you will see that I refer to the possibility of UPS spanking its 0% success record with me with the second package due tomorrow.

I just checked the tracking number, and I’m happy to report they used the very same lie, “adverse weather conditions.” I checked the weather for today and I want to point out that in New Stanton, Pennsylvania it is a cool, sunny 75 degrees Fahrenheit and in Vernon, CA it is a sunny but hot 85 degrees Fahrenheit. There was absolutely NO adverse weather in either area or anywhere on the flightpath. I’m ONE HUNDRED PERCENT certain they are lying. Here is the tracking info:

VERNON,
    CA, US 07/01/2008 3:00 P.M. ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS
    NEW STANTON,
    PA, US 06/27/2008 1:21 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
    NEW STANTON,
    PA, US 06/26/2008 8:18 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
    PITTSBURGH,
    PA, US 06/26/2008 8:17 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
    06/26/2008 6:07 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
    US 06/26/2008 4:45 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

UPS Successful Packages to Gilbert: 0/247, 0%.

60. willray411 says:

have fun not receiving your packages

61. Gilbert Tang, Jr. says:

@willray411: Indeed.

62. LissaKay says:

I am currently in the middle of having a trace investigation conducted on a package I still have not received, for which I paid $15 extra for 2nd Day Priority last Wednesday!

I ordered a dress from Kohls.com and had it sent 2nd Day Priority because I want to wear it to a wedding July 6, and wanted enough time if it didn’t fit to return it and try to find another dress (I also have a lovely kudos story about Kohls customer service, which almost makes up for this aggravation, if the Eds wish to hear about it).

I tracked it online and on Friday afternoon, it showed that it was delivered at 12:55pm to the front door. Hrmmm … we were home at that time, no one knocked or rang the bell. There were several people at the house at the time as well. We went out and looked around the house, by the garage door and so on. No package to be found. Now this house is at the end of a driveway that is shared by five homes, but each is clearly marked with an address in plain site from the driveway. But packages have made it here before via UPS, but others have also gone astray, usually to one of the other houses.

I called UPS to see if I could find out where the package went, to call the driver and see if he could tell us which house he dropped it at. I was curtly informed by the CSR that as the recipient, I would have to contact the shipper, Kohls.com, and have them initiate an investigation. Lovely. So I did so, Kohls CSR was great, refunded my shipping costs and took the info.

The next day, my boyfriend and I stopped by the other houses to see if they perhaps had received the package. No dice. But they also reported missing packages that turned up mysteriously days later, on the mailbox or on the porch. We went on about our errands, and I called UPS again to see if they had anything to report. While this CSR was not as rude as the first, she definitely was not interested in helping at all. I was told that the investigation would take 3 – 5 business days and the only thing I could do is wait.

Not an option. I called Kohls and had another order placed with explicit instructions on the location of our house. Again, Kohls was great … no charge for shipping and I got the same sale price as the week before, all without my having to ask! UPS still sucks though!

63. Speak says:

@Corydon: Those windows are ridiculous. I ordered a bed frame once. I don’t even recall what redelivery window UPS gave me, but I waited the entire day before UPS came, at like 6. The driver was nice though–he seemed relieved to be able to make the delivery instead of his having to schlep the package back to the warehouse.

I also prefer USPS. My local post office will just hold any packages that couldn’t be delivered, and it’s only two blocks away. Then again, it’s never lost one of my packages, and I’ve seen people storming out of there after their packages couldn’t be located.

64. LissaKay says:

Oh my word … we have a totally retarded UPS driver here. With explicit instructions to deliver the 2nd order to “The last house at the end of the driveway, at the top of the hill” it still did not arrive correctly. I called 1-800-PICKUPS and insisted they have the local dispatch office call me after contacting the driver. They did and said the driver left the package at “The trailer between the first house and the 2nd trailer.” *blink blink*

I asked the dispatcher, “Does that sound like the ‘last house at the end of the driveway’ to you?” Then she wanted me to go to that trailer and see if they have it. I told her no way, that she needs to make the driver do his job, and do it correctly.

We shall see …

65. Gilbert Tang, Jr. says:

FAILURE CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As my comment above suggested, UPS has indeed rescheduled my delivery to compensate for their collective idiocy.

66. jsch222 says:

Gilbert……why don’t you go to http://www.ups.com and read about the flooding in the midwest. Your packages are surely to come via railroad and with the flooding, hundreds of thousands of packages were slowed down. You complain just to complain without any knowledge. When you went to the website you should have read the bold letters that talked about the flooding. Either that or turn on CNN. I would think towns with over 30 foot of water would be worthy of using adverse weather conditions.

67. coren says:

I might have missed it – but as indicated in comments, “signed for” doesn’t mean that it was “signed for by recipient”, per se. I’ve signed for packages addressed to my boss when they needed confirmation that it was received, ditto for family members. Maybe the florist/super is signing their name and that’s bringing up the message?

68. HarlanMole says:

The thing I’ve run into on a number of occasions with UPS is their logs
    showing that *I* requested they redirect or ship on another day, not that
    THEY didn’t attempt delivery. A few months ago, I was waiting for a package
    being shipped via UPS, and I was home all day every day, yet the package was
    (according to UPS systems) being “redirected” to their warehouse for pickup.

Neat trick, considering I hadn’t contact them in any way other than visit
    their tracking website. They redirected, claimed I did it, and wanted me to
    come to them. Oddly, they weren’t about to charge the shipper any less for
    having failed to deliver the box.

Bonus points: When I contacted their call center at 3pm to ask about this
    redirection, they told me to wait until 8pm (Pacific) and call them back if
    it still hadn’t shown up. I asked if they were open at the call center that
    late, and was told “Oh yeah, we’re here until Midnight (9pm) our time, so
    we’ll be here.” I called at 8:05, to find that their “night” message
    claimed they closed at 9pm Eastern.

Zen Render

69. StutiCabaret says:

Well this has happened to me and UPS is backing their driver.
    Even though I was at work in a completely different city when the driver claims I signed for the delivery they insist that they not done anything wrong. I escalated to corporate and was treated very harshly.
    So here’s the deal: the driver can forge these signatures, keep the goods and sell them and UPS will stand by them.

And here I thought forgery and theft were crimes.