VIDEO: Maggots Found Squirming In Box Of Goobers

Chomp, chomp, chomp, smoosh! Blogger Savannah Red’s wife was enjoying a freshly opened box of Goobers when she bit into something not sweet or chocolatey, but squishy: a maggot.

My wife let out a full-throated scream that I’ve only really heard in my nightmares when she is being carried off by a giant squid or something and both of my legs have been cut off and I can’t help her…she bent over, her trembling hands on her knees and spit out what was in her mouth onto the floor…my wife’s box of Goobers was ALIVE and crawling with maggots…I peered inside the box and saw lumpen, misshapen Goobers with maggots or some kind of larvae crawling everywhere.

Naturally, the blogger took a video, available in all its disgusting glory, inside…

Nestle’s has got some quality control issues. The package was sealed in a plastic wrap, meaning that the larvae had to have been deposited during the manufacturing process. So far, Savannah Red has not heard back from the email he sent Nestle customer service.

Nestle’s Maggoty Goobers [SAVANNAH RED] (Thanks to Rob Walker!)

Comments

1. SkokieGuy says:

Goobers, the nutrititious treat. Now with more protein in every bite!

2. drrictus says:

Is this one of the new Type-II diabetes prevention measures?

3. pengie says:

OH WOW. I knew there was a reason I didn’t like Goobers. Must have been the added, uh, protein.

4. temporaryerror says:

Are those maggots or mealie worms? Meal worms would make more sense and be much less disgusting…after all, the worms are fried and served as a delicacy in some countries… interested to see how THIS one turns out!

5. nataku8_e30 says:

…excellent lunch-time story

6. Deckmaster says:

It is how they get the 5 grams of protein that is so prominently advertised on the box.

7. SkokieGuy says:

Maggots only eat decaying flesh, (see [consumerist.com]), in other words carnivores. These worms are able to survive (in a sealed plastic bag no less) on high fructose corn syrup and chemicals (plant based), so I think temporayerror may be right that this is something other than maggots.

Republicans?

8. rixatrix says:

@temporaryerror: Uhh, they look pretty maggoty to me.

But I see what you’re saying – if they’re meal worms, Nestle probably should’ve charged more. Maybe they can send a collection agency to this guy’s house to recover the difference between the price point of Goobers and delicacy worms.

9. Nayrlladnar says:

I see what you did there.

10. @SkokieGuy: @temporaryerror: Why does it matter? It’s fucking disgusting, either way.

11. Asvetic says:

That’s nothing. When I was 7, I got one of those mini-boxes of Rice Krispies at a restaurant. I wasn’t but 2 or 3 spoonfuls into it when I realized my cereal wasn’t snap, crackle and popping like it should, it was wiggling.

12. rasbill says:

I WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EAT THEM AGAIN EVER I DONT CARE WHAT NESTLE DOES FOR THIS GUY AND HIS GIRL

13. cotr says:

im glad i didnt eat bfast…

*dry heave*

14. xrodion says:

thats fucking sick, I just ate and read that now and I feel like I want to puke.. I am not anymore ever again that shit, and I swear by that. and I am going to look at food differently now.

15. whatdoyoucare says:

Yikes! This really stinks. When we go to a movie we always dump a box of milk duds or similar candy products into our popcorn. It is going to make me think twice before I do it again or make sure do to it with the lights on.

I really really hate stories like these. Especially when there are pictures to accompany them. The images haunt me forever!

16. vildechaia says:

Blaaarrrgggh! That does it for me. No more Nestle anything! Who needs surprises like that? And, yes, it is fucking disgusting.

17. apotheosis says:

sweet merciful Buddha.

18. A.W.E.S.O.M.-O says:

I think these are Indian Meal Moth larvae (waxworms). They’re very common and notorious for getting into food items in your pantry. I’m no entomologist though, just a guess.

A little better than maggots, but still fairly disturbing.

19. girly says:

Goobers: they’re not just a snack anymore, they’re a meal(-worm infested confection)

poor lady

20. Farquar says:

I would throw up.. repeatedly.

21. Gopher bond says:

Don’t think there will be much OP blasting here. I had this happen to me before though. Oyster crackers I put on some hot soup. when I looked down, the worms were all sticking straight up and squirming, trying to get away from the hot soup.

I haven’t looked at an oyster cracker since.

*erp*

22. MyPetFly says:

I had that same thing happen to me in my early teens (35 years ago… sweet jeebus). Anyway, I opened up a package of fudge brownie cookies, ate one, looked down to get the next one and saw a bunch of these same creepy crawlies on the next cookie down. I tossed the rest, obviously. At that tender young age I never thought to write to the bakery. And there’s a much better than even chance I ate some of those little guys.

23. MyPetFly says:

@testsicles:

…sticking up like teeny tiny meerkats.

24. Gopher bond says:

Just wondering where she got these Goobers. I mean, if they’re from last Halloween and she’s been keeping them in the cupboard, then it’s not really a quality control issue. Those worms can get into anything. I think maybe their eggs are probably on every piece of food we eat and when the humidity and time is right, they hatch.

25. FrankTheTank says:

“The package was sealed in a plastic wrap, meaning that the larvae had to have been deposited during the manufacturing process.”

Not true. Unless it’s an airtight seal (unlikely), then moth eggs/larvae can get into plastic packaging.

I had some pasta that I had to throw out because of that.

I did have a sunflower seed last week though that I chewed into and found that a bug had laid eggs in. It was one of a bunch that I had thrown into my mouth and I nearly threw up the whole bunch. Terrible.

26. Kimbeegrin says:

This is DISGUSTING, and my worst fear. Blech blech, no wonder she screamed! They better friggen compensate for the horror of opening that box and ALWAYS check before you EAT!

27. Gopher bond says:

@MyPetFly: ha, yeah basically, I’ll never forget that image.

28. Orv says:

@FrankTheTank: I think when you find them in plastic packaging it’s probably because the eggs were deposited prior to packaging. This isn’t all that uncommon with flour (which pasta is made from).

These days when I buy bread flour I freeze it for a few days to kill any eggs, then transfer it to sealed plastic containers. Since starting this I haven’t had any more problems with bugs or worms in my flour. I don’t do it with pasta because I go through pasta fast enough that I’ve never had a problem with bugs in it.

29. forgottenpassword says:

Yuck!!!!

I had a seedmoth (that’s what I call them) fly out of a just opened box of velveeta shells & cheese once.

30. thelushie says:

How can we blame the OP? Hmmm, well….ummmm. No, the OP is right. That is truly disgusting and I don’t care what kind of worm it is. My entire body tensed.

Anyone else vote to stop publishing these types of stories around mealtime?

31. Yep says:

A friend’s first job

32. katylostherart says:

*obligatory extra protein comment*

33. meisenberg says:

I vividly remember during 4th grade hot-dog Wednesday, my friend John commenting that, after shoving the entire first one in his mouth, swallowing, and taking a bite of the second one (they used to come in a 2-pack 35 years ago) his Twinkee tasted funny only to see the creamy white filling was actually moldy green! BLAH – I never ate another Twinkee after that.

34. outphase says:

om nom nom nom :)

35. moore850 says:

Great, way to ruin my pending night at the movies. Now I won’t be able to eat any goober-shaped candy there anymore!

36. SacraBos says:

Okay, I’m writing in Nestle Goobers as the Worst Company [Product] for 2008. Any company that can make lots of folks physically wretch has got to rank pretty high in the lowness scale.

37. SacraBos says:

@outphase: Euell Gibbons? Is that you?

38. suzapalooza says:

Mealy worms they are. My mom found the same critters inside a sealed Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup package. The bugs were likely eggs deposited inside the peanuts (think Mexican jumping beans), were harvested, and they hatched somewhere along the processing route.

Still…YUK

As for flour, my hubby worked in a Cargill flour mill for awhile where they tested the wheat/flour samples for protein content, moisture, and yes, insect particles. Always freeze any flour you buy, just in case. How could they possibly get all the feelies out without using massive amounts of pesticides?

And, like temporayerror said, they are a delicacy in some places (our pet lizard loves ‘em!)

39. Vastarien202 says:

Gross! Yeah, those do indeed look like mealie worms to me, but knowing what they are dosen’t make them any less nasty.
    I once had a pantry that was colonized by those things, due to my parent’s laziness. I had fun feeding the crawlers to my Venus Fly-trap, Floyd.

40. bobfromboston says:

@thelushie: I assume you’re joking, but just in case: This is the web, so it’s mealtime for somebody 24 hours a day.

41. legwork says:

Aw, they’re so cute!

Anyway, they’re GOOBERS. What’s the best you can expect? //not blaming, just the obvious

Funny how the wormed version would be the more healthy.

42. EdnaLegume says:

@thelushie: How about not reading articles with “maggot” in the title during YOUR mealtime. Isn’t that more logical then making others wait for them to publish it when it’s convenient for you and your delicate tummy?

43. Kevino says:

It’s just some extra protein, lucky they don’t charge her extra ;)

And is it me or do those candies look really old? They almost look so bad that I wouldn’t eat them. Then again I am a picky person so who knows.

44. engfish says:

McD’s deep-fried a bee in an order of fries I had once. Ummm… Yellow McJackets! B.B. McBumbles!

Suppose Nestle’s went to the Golden Arches with this. With apologies to Zemekis and Spielberg… Larvae McFlys! Squiggly McMaggots! (Any takers?)

45. Superawesomerad says:

Goobers are only slightly less nasty than maggots.

46. Hmmm… I’m genuinely surprised no one has made a “never going to kiss you again” joke yet.

47. synergy says:

@meisenberg: Something actually ate a Twinkie????? :-O :-O :-O

I was pretty sure nothing ate them, not even roaches. They were supposed to exist past any nuclear winters without a single “bug” getting to them!

48. symfoodie says:

You definitely have to wonder about the content of Goobers when the worms themselves are running away especially the two in the upper right hand corner… They could literally taste the freedom and escape from the evil Goober.

49. Same thing happened to my sister a while back with Pop Tarts. Same sort of mealworm/waxworm style bugga that even survived the microwave. Long story short, no more Pop Tarts in our family.

50. ltlbbynthn says:

Why are all the youtube videos I try to watch gone?!?

51. KenzinFive says:

The exact same thing happened about a month ago to the fiance of one of my stepfather’s co-workers. She had someone get her a Mr. Goodbar from a CVS Pharmacy in Miami. As she was eating it, she went up to the co-worker and told him about she had a worm on her shirt somehow.

He takes it off, and then she goes back into the office. Then she started screaming and realized that the maggots were inside the Mr. Goodbar. That she had been eating. She promptly started throwing up.

My stepfather took some cell phone video of the things crawling around the bar, and I encouraged him to send it to the Consumerist which he hadn’t heard of. He never got around to it though.

We had thought that it was something with the CVS, as the bar had been in the front of the cashier. Mr. Goodbar is from Hershey’s though, so maybe this isn’t Nestle’s fault as it is where the candy was in the store.

Maybe I can finally take it from the phone, if he hasn’t deleted it already. I’ll check when I get home.

52. mikelotus says:

This is an insult to maggots who provide a medical benefit to mankind. Just think about the reduction in the number of amputations that would have occurred in the Civil War if they just had not cleaned the maggots out of the wounds!

53. that is the nastiest shit i have ever seen

54. How do we know that those aren’t just little Goober larvae that haven’t yet reached their chocolatey maturity?

55. dorianh49 says:

It’s a feature, not a bug!

56. trujunglist says:

I’ve had my fair share of Goobers (I don’t hate chocolate covered peanuts like many others here do.. for some reason), and I have to say that these Goobers look especially old and disgusting. I’d be interested to know the date on that package. When were they boxed up? I can’t watch the video at work but I’d be interested to know any additional information… you could use that candy dating guide that was posted about a month ago. Too lazy to link, do a search.

57. kaptainkk says:

OMG! Big fucking deal. She ate a bug. It could have been a lot worse. She could starve to death. Can you imagine what a terrible death starving must be? Those infested maggot Goobers would be a treat to thousands of people that die every day of hungry. Get over it people! And yes, if I ate it I would not freak out. I would probably ask for more ;-)

58. luz says:

Aaaaaand, OP blamed.

I agree that they’re disgusting, and kind of cute.

OMG GUYZ THINK OF HOW TEH MAGG0T MUST FELE

59. Klink says:

Oh come on, I was just about to leave for the movies.

60. temporaryerror says:

adding to my previous post, it seems like I’ve seen little packages of the crawlies near the register in some convenience and candy stores. They are fried, salted, and sold the the general public. Never tried them myself. In the same vein, does anyone remember the tequila flavored suckers a few years ago that had an agave worm encased in the sucker? They were pretty popular for a bit, due mostly, I’m assuming to the shock value. Speaking of which, does anyone eat the worm at the bottom of the mescal (not tequila…real tequila never has a worm) bottle? I did once, and made the mistake of chewing it…

61. TechnoDestructo says:

@SkokieGuy:

It depends on the species. Different maggots will eat different materials. Some will only eat dead meat, some will eat living meat. Some will eat shit, and apparently, some will eat goobers.

Just keep them around until you see if they grow into flies. Then you’ll know for sure.

62. Moosehawk says:

Good thing I read this before dinner

63. Breach says:

Now that is just Nasty.

64. AshleyStIves says:

I can’t even look at a Whatchamacallit when I ate half of one before I noticed it was full of weevils. Now I steer clear of any cereal-filled candy bar. Please don’t break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar.

65. chiggers says:

@meisenberg: Nowadays, I bet twinkies are pumped full of preservatives to prevent such an occurrence from happening.

66. broose23 says:

This happened to me with a kit-kat before. I was a lot younger… too young to think I had to write to the company of course… ick!

67. mxjohnson says:

Just to be contrary, I’ll say I don’t think they’re mealworms. I raise mealworms — for fun, not profit — so I’m pretty familiar with them. Mealworms aren’t so pale, and they don’t have that red tip. And the larvae in the video move with far more alacrity than mealworms, and move as though they have pseudopods near the tail end, like a caterpillar or an inchworm. Mealworms just have the legs in the front segments, and kinda drag themselves along; they’re not great climbers. Finally, mealworms typically shun the light. They’d crawl down into the pile of Goobers, not over it.

So what are they? Weevils, maybe? I have no idea. I’m not an entomologist. But how hard would to be to find out? Just wait a couple weeks and see how they transform. We already know what to feed the little larvae.

I’ll roast and dip and eat chocolate covered crickets. And everybody eats bugs every day. They’re everywhere. But still, that video is nasty.

Anyhow, when you buy flour there are eggs in it already. Always. And maybe bugs too. Freezing it probably won’t kill any eggs. If insect eggs were killed at 28 degrees, there wouldn’t be so many bugs in the midwest, would there? Keep your flour in the fridge if you want to keep the eggs from hatching.

If you want your flour to be free of insects, you’ll probably have to seal it and then irradiate it. Or grow the wheat and mill it someplace where there are no insects. The space shuttle comes to mind.

68. Ipitydafool says:

Most likely moths. My parents love to buy snacks and let them sit on the shelf to expire. I’ve seen stuff that looks exactly like this when I’ve gone over to visit and go through their expired food. They’ve even gotten into stuff that is sealed in plastic – usually a few small holes have been made in the corner seams. In fact, I’ve found not just the worms, but fully developed moths as well.

Maybe they got an old box from the store, or maybe had it sitting too long at home?

69. trademarked67 says:

They are worms, though I don’t recall the exact name. Used to work for Nestle and we had to continually check all the peanut products we had in the warehouse for worms. Unfortunately there is not a lot you can do about it without adding tremendous cost to the manufacturing process and the cost/benefit just isn’t there. I have found worms in a box of Raisin Bran before. It happens.

70. thelushie says:

@EdnaLegume: Umm, I was joking. Lighten up.

71. thelushie says:

@bobfromboston: Yes, dear. I was joking.

nataku83 also said that it was a “great mealtime story”. Why didn’t you mention that poster? (that was meant for Ednalegume, btw).

72. thelushie says:

@Moosehawk: You might want to be careful about making comments like that. The “stick up their asses” crowd is out tonight (or morning, afternoon, etc. depending where they are).

73. allthatsevil says:

Nestle chocolate is pretty nasty anyway.

That being said, reminds me of when my boyfriend got a stale bag of peanut MnM’s. He called the customer service number to tell them and they sent coupons for some free stuff. The accompanying letter said something like, “no one likes unsavory nuts.”

We should’ve framed it. It didn’t seem to have been worded that way on accident.

74. oranjeboom says:

@allthatsevil: “no one likes unsavory nuts” – i’m biting my tongue here, trying to figure out how to use that phrase at least once today…

75. Womblebug says:

[www.livingwithbugs.com] Pantry moths.

See these all the time, unfortunately. Grain mills, feed stores, anywhere that stores a lot of grain products. They also come in from the outside. I have little sticky pheromone traps in my kitchen and pantry to catch the adult moths before they can larvify my pasta.

Gross, but not maggots, and not dangerous.

76. EdnaLegume says:

@thelushie: mainly because he said “…excellent lunch-time story”… um… what??

he did NOT say “Anyone else vote to stop publishing these types of stories around mealtime?”

77. GyroMight says:

Had this been my wife the scream would have been followed by fainting, that girl hates bugs.

78. Eric1285 says:

Hmm…I should probably keep all my pasta and such sealed then, eh? Oh well…I hope those eggs can’t live through boiling water.

79. Mudpuddle says:

Tastes like chicken

80. fjordtjie says:

whether they are safe to eat or not is irrelevant. i doubt most people buying goobers would be pleasantly surprised to find any sort of insect larvae crawling around in it. so saying it 400 times in response to the story is ridiculous. they have the right to be disgusted by the bugs.

also, mxjohnson is exactly right. They’re not mealworms.

it’s also very likely the candy is very fresh, as there would be live or dead beetles or pupae in there too if it were older. the cardboard and paper packaging of pasta or flower is more permeable that the, even thin, plastic over the goobers box. the odds of them being in the goobers during manufacturing is exponentially greater than getting in there after being sealed.

81. Vejadu says:

When I was about 16, I bit into a rice crispy bar my mom brought home from the bakery. I noticed that it tasted funky, so I spit it out and looked at the rest of the treat to see half of a big fat cricket. The other half was what I spit out ;b I’m still disgusted by that experience.

82. westhillblue says:

My son send me the video from NY and asked me to comment on it.
    Those, most likely, are larvae of Indian meal moth. It would be interesting to know the age of the product. I worked for a major food company (not Nestle) assessing comsumer complaints of this type as an Analytical Entomologist. A moth larva can easely perforate the film package or get through any void in the packaging. Just checking the video I would say that the infestation is a few weeks old. Indian meal moth cycle last about 5 to7 weeks from egg to adult depending on moisture and temperature. Food companies do care about this problem by having a good Quality Assurance System in place, however most of the infestation problems arise at the postmanufacturing stage: warehouse, store and yes a the consumer home. If you want to protect yourself of this kind of situation avoid buying from small stores that have slow turn around and DO check the production code.