PedEgg Ads Scam, Suit Alleges

Who would have ever thought that a low-budget infomercial touting an egg-shaped device home pedicure device with “100 precision microfiles” might be deceptive in some way? Not, apparently, its actors, two of whom are suing the makers of “PedEgg.” The thespians say they PedEgg told them the commercial would be internets-only. Instead, it’s on the national airways. We don’t care about that part. Rather, we chuckle over the suit’s revelation that PedEgg hired a horror-makeup guy to apply “artificial bumps and discoloration” to their feet to increase the contrast between the “before” and “after” shots. Quelle horreru! Besides their dishonest advertising tactics, someone should also sue PedEgg for the gross-out shot when they dump all the foot shavings in the trash. See the full commercial inside.

PedEgg Accused Of Gross Injustice [The Smoking Gun]

Comments

1. Marketing aside, I have one and it works really well. I use it on my feet and my hands (esp. weightlifting callouses). Not bad for $10 at Bed Bath and Beyond.

2. Anonymous says:

I like to use my foot shavings as a low cost mulch.

3. Alexander says:

“someone should also sue PedEgg for the gross-out shot when they dump all the foot shavings in the trash. See the full commercial inside.”

Thank God someone said it! I keep telling my wife that is grossest thing ever, to see them dump what I call “a pound of foot” into the trash. I love my wife. As soon as I told her this, she goes to Walgreens and buys one! I told her it’s fine as long as she doesn’t show me her “pound of foot”.

4. SkokieGuy says:

Ben,

THANK YOU for pointing out the grossest part of the commercial.

Yes, I was eating dinner the first time I saw the ad, and when the open up the product, enough stuff dumps out to represent the calcified bunions of the entire cast of Riverdance. Blech. Wouldn’t a belt sander be faster?

And what marketing whiz came up with the name?

Sounds like what a pedophile chicken lays.

5. dorianh49 says:

@catdogpigduck: Or you can always dump the shavings into an Arby’s roast beef sandwich.

6. Reminds me of when I had my cast removed from my leg, and soaked my foot for the first time in water for 6 weeks.

7. AnderBobo says:

It’s gross but then again so are gnarly feet. It works, and I get sick pleasure out of accumulating large quantities of foot shavings!

8. Myrddraal says:

They should really recycle the foot mulch. Like in a protein shake or a zesty sauce for pasta. /sarcasm

Seriously though what company that has before and after shots is not deceptive? They all do as much as they can to trick the consumer into thinking that theirs is a wonder product.

Picture 1: Lady covered in boils sores and with a hunch back in Detroit in the rain

Picture 2: Model playing volley ball on a beach in the south pacific to a sunset

“I use Colgate whiting strips and my smile is now sparkling”

9. AD8BC says:

*gag*

10. SkokieGuy says:

The totally fake one that gets me are all the mascara commercials. In the after shots the women are always wearing comically huge false eyelashes.

11. Bladefist says:

wouldn’t a cheese grater work just as well? Well, not on the balloon.

12. ObtuseGoose says:

Bought a PedEgg a week ago. My heels are baby smooth. Although I may have inhaled large quantities of powdered foot. *eek*

13. CumaeanSibyl says:

All I can think of is how hard it must be to walk around barefoot after a couple of months of shaving off all your calluses.

14. dripdrop says:

The commercial might be gross, but this is one infomercial product that actually works and I think that should be applauded. I got mine for $10 at Rite-Aid.

15. Chris Walters says:

I love that you can hear someone make a “gaaahhh” gross-out noise when the foot shavings are emptied.

Also: parmesan cheese!!!

16. am84 says:

Yes, the commercial’s a little gross and sketchy, but this product is awesome. It’s well worth the $10; it’ll save you a ton of money on pedicures.

17. Mr_D says:

@CumaeanSibyl: Yeah. I stand on them for several hours a day, aren’t they supposed to be toughened up to handle that kind of use?

18. Froggmann says:

@alexander: Yea especially since the only time i have seen this commercial was during dinner…

19. KleineFrau says:

Pound o’ Foot aside, I have to say that this product works really well. I eternally have trouble with my feet due to a medical issue, and wearing sandals was always embarrassing. Not now.

I bought one for my boyfriend as well, as a present. Not as a suggestion that he had gross feet (many men do–it doesn’t bother me), but just something nice, since he was always putting lotion on them and it did not do much good. Before he used it, he thought it was rather silly. Then he couldn’t say enough good things about it.

I did wonder whether he would continue to use it for the first time, and, shocker, he did.

20. AD8BC says:

If you soaked powdered foot in water, would it rehydrate and form a new foot?

21. SkokieGuy says:

Now come on. PedEgg, what a pedophile Chicken lays.

That’s really good. Not one guffaw from anyone?

I’m pouting now! (But my feet are smooth and pretty).

22. morganlh85 says:

Yeah, the foot shavings make me wanna throw up. How convenient!

23. startertan says:

I just use a pumice stone in the shower…does this molesting chicken fetus do better (I enjoyed that joke Skokie) because I’ll throw caution (and $10) to the wind to try it.

24. Wormfather is Wormfather says:

One day I took the greatest poop of all time. I thought it’d be a great idea to show my fiancee. So I called her and let her gaze upon my 134 Couric Poopzilla.

Much to my suprise she was grossed out beyond all belief. However, she took it rather well and smirked.

Later that evening she called me in the bathroom, I assumed she was going to return the favor. Instead she dumped some dust on me. Upon finding out what it was, I vomited (true) and took a shower. It was her greatest relationship moment since I got mad and told her I was the John Locke of this house and then she looked me in the eye and told me that she was the f*cking island.

Our relationship has been great since that point.

25. anaisnun says:

I’m sure the PedEgg works great, but I’ve been using a callous rasp that contains the foot shavings and works exactly the same for 5 years.
    It’s got a handle and is not shaped like an egg, however. I would definitely consider it ergonomically designed just like the PedEgg commercials claim, it fits every single claim in the commercial, in fact.
    It a regularly stocked Dollar Tree product they’ve had for years and costs…dum de dum….one dollar.
    They last quite a while, too.
    When I saw the PedEgg commercial, I rolled my eyes when the model says, “Why hasn’t anyone thought of this before?”
    If you guys all want to give me your ten dollars, I’ll go to the Dollar Tree, get each of you the one I use and love, and I’ll pocket the profit.
    Unless you are really, really attached to egg shapes.

26. @Wormfather is Wormfather: It was her greatest relationship moment since I got mad and told her I was the John Locke of this house and then she looked me in the eye and told me that she was the f*cking island.

I scratched my head on that one for a few minutes before realizing you meant LOST. I was leaning towards “Thomas Hobbes” or something like that.

27. kc2idf says:

Two minor things . . . Sorry, but I am a language geek.

1. Airwaves, not airways. Airways are the companies that operate aircraft, synonymous with airlines.

2. “Horreur”, not “horreru”. This is French, not Japanese (though I suspect this to be a simple typing transposition).

Thanks for bearing with me.

28. dripdrop says:

@KleineFrau:

Did you get him the men’s version? I recently saw that in stores? It’s black and little bigger than the original.

29. @Bladefist: A big tool file works really well, the ones with the multiple grades of file? My husband’s kind of pissed I took his and wrecked it with grossness.

30. @Wormfather is Wormfather: I laughed so hard my ass has literally fallen off and is lying on the floor looking forlorn.

31. dripdrop says:

@Wormfather is Wormfather:

I don’t know if that story is awesome or horrifying.

32. Bladefist says:

@Eyebrows McGee: lol thats hawt

33. mk says:

@Wormfather is Wormfather: I am actually LOLing

34. Squeaks says:

@Chris Walters: agreed, that was probably the best part!

35. tinky XIII says:

I’d rather have something akin to armor on the bottom of my feet, thanks.

I’d also like to have great metal tusks, but that’s a bit harder to grow.

36. Burgandy says:

@Wormfather is Wormfather: Your GF rocks!

37. Daemon_of_Waffle says:

@AD8BC: That’s where the feet in Canada are coming from.

38. Anonymously says:

@Wormfather is Wormfather: Awesome!

My dog loves to eat the PedEgg shavings.

39. Alexander says:

@KleineFrau: Yes, amazingly that thing works really well. My wife loves it.

40. shorty63136 says:

@dorianh49: *GAG – falls over, dead*

I hear this thing works – but I’m afraid I lose a layer of skin that I actually need for, y’know, walking and stuff.

But I do hope that those fellas win their lawsuit. If they said internets-only, then dammit internets only!

In the famous words of Jay-Z: Fuck you. Pay me.

41. MaliBoo Radley says:

@anaisnun:

I have the rasp and the pumice stone. Neither work as well as the PedEgg. The only thing that works as well as the PedEgg is a pedicure where they razor the callouses off.

42. nikki0081 says:

I’m too embarassed to buy one

43. Wormfather is Wormfather says:

@shorty63136: You know that when Jay-Z said that he was borrowing the line from Goodfellas, right?

44. IrisMR says:

*eyes image* is it just me or it looks like the exact same picture with the brightness boosted up?

45. IrisMR says:

PS: We brilliant girls use pumice stones. You do that in the shower or bath so the junk gets washed away and there’s no mess. Really… Who does that while sitting on the frickin’ toilet over the bathroom rug? Lady, come on.

And it does a marvelous job in only a few uses, and used regularly you will never have rough foot problems ever again.

46. themikebrown says:

Was I the only one that thought upon seeing this commercial that there is no place in this crazy world of bizarre “health boosting” products for a foot grater?

“It’s a [foot] grater, or as I like to call it, sponge ruiner” – Mitch Hedberg

47. apotheosis says:

@Wormfather is Wormfather:

Epic. Win.

48. luz says:

I want one. And I’m going to surreptitiously mix my foot shavings into my boyfriend’s weed.

49. satoru says:

You have to understand that for these actors and such, they are paid residuals depending on HOW their final products are distributed. If your commercial is only shown in a local market, then for each viewing you get say… $10. But if it’s in a national campaign, then you might get $1000 per showing. Residuals on the internet are usually calculated a flat rate and don’t scale via the number of showings. Thus these actors should be getting compensated for much higher amounts since they were deceived into thinking the campaign was going to be an internet only one. Residuals especially for these kinds of struggling actors is very important and can represent a significant portion of their income.

50. stezton says:

My mom actually has one of those stupid things.

51. apotheosis says:

Still not as gross and scammy as Kinoki footpads.

52. washwords says:

@AnderBobo: yes! so glad someone else does. I love that i have to say. mmmmmm… foot shavings. was so mad when maryland made foot shavers illegal. good thing there’s pedegg and the district for ammassing gross footpeel piles. heh.

53. apotheosis says:

Fish: better than eggs?

In Japan you can pay to get flesh eating fish–ok, perhaps I’m exaggerating, let’s say “skin eating”– to chew off your flaky and dry skin caused by psoriasis outbreaks, eczema, or calluses.

…ew.

54. itmustbeken says:

Coming July ’08: The PedBelt-Sander for those really dry feet.
    Pre-order now and get 10 free Foot Dust Masks!

55. usa_gatekeeper says:

My wife recently ordered one PedEgg from a TV commercial which included an extra one for “free”. When we received the shipment, we noticed they charged S&H TWICE … one for each PedEgg!!!

My wife called them and spent some time on the phone wearing down the CSR until the CSR finally gave in and credited the 2nd S&H (or at least the CSR said it would be credited – I still need to check our credit card bill to verify!)

Afterwards, I went on line to their website where they had a copy of the commercial. Sure enough, there in **tiny, tiny** print was a comment that they would charge S&H for the free one.

56. raytube says:

@Wormfather is Wormfather:
    Har Har. You can wash off the ‘dust’ but you can’t unsee a giant turd. You win.

57. RokMartian says:

Rolling those shavings into a Kinoki foot pad makes for a darn fine smoke!

bleh.

58. spryte says:

@usa_gatekeeper: Actually, when they say the part about getting a second PedEgg and the foot cream, the voiceover says “just pay separate shipping and handling”. Granted, she rushes through it, but they do say it, and with most things sold on TV where they include an “extra bonus additional second” item, you pretty much always pay S&H for it.

59. whatdoyoucare says:

Love mine! $10 at Walgreens.

60. dewrock says:

I don’t know if this has been said, but the thing I don’t get is how this thing can cut stuff off your foot and an orange but won’t pop a balloon.

61. MageSeer says:

Once upon a time, I recieved a nutmeg shredder that looked suspiciously like a Pedegg, with the exception that it was black and not white. When compared to the PedEgg, I noticed that it was almost the exact same product. Months go by and I come to find out my mom found a PedEgg at my house that was black and she took off with it. I wonder if her feet smell of nutmeg.

62. Alexander says:

@dewrock: It’s magic! Gosh, I wish Billy Mays had made this great product.

63. anaisnun says:

@radleyas- you are probably right, the PedEgg probably works better than a Dollar Tree rasp. It works good enough for me but everyone’s foot needs are different.
    As far as rasps, I bought a handled Sally Hansen rasp at Walgreen’s that didn’t work at all, it was totally dull and a waste of money.
    I’ve never used one of the razor gadgets because I used to be a licensed hairdresser/mani-pedicurist/esthetician. When I was in beauty school 20 years ago, I saw one of those draw blood on a client and the pedicurist kept trying to wipe the blood away so nobody could see it. We saw it!
    User error frightens me.
    The rasps at Dollar Tree are cheaply made and very sharp, they take my callous right off and quickly.

64. Superawesomerad says:

The is the grossest discussion ever. Worse than the diarrhea talk a few days back.

65. luz says:

Actually, I dated a guy with a foot…thing, let’s call it, a while back. Free pedicures, problem solved.

66. madog says:

Cheesegraters cost the same. Hell, this one comes with fine grit sandpaper even. how could you not love it?

67. themediatrix says:

This thread is made of awesome. I cannot believe how many people have ped-eggs, or that I’ve just typed the word “ped-egg.” Also, that so many people try and keep their feet smooth is hilarious to me!! (I used to get pedicures all the time, and thought I was being frivolous for caring how my feet look.) Good times!

68. JadoJodo says:

I like mixing the shavings in with the Parmesan at Pizza Hut!

69. So, even when people like a product infomercials still have to do their crazy thing?

Awesome.

70. HOP says:

does look like a good thing to get some zest tho….just get two…one for feet, one for zest….just don’t mix ‘em up……

71. HOP says:

72. Vejadu says:

I’ve got feet like a hobbit, so I picked up a PedEgg last week and it works better than anything I’ve ever tried before. Though don’t turn it right side up after you’ve used it — foot dust all over everything :(

73. ppiddy says:

Eh, my microplane cheese grater works just as well, and I don’t have another gadget cluttering up the house.

I wouldn’t tell my dinner guests, though. :)

74. Squeaks says:

haha did anyone else see the PedEgg mention on the Daily Show? [www.thedailyshow.com]

75. mariospants says:

Now that’s CLASSY.

76. mr mike says:

I could sell that pound of foot to the feinds!

77. Sassafras says:

I used to joke with my mother-in-law that I should use my Microplane lemon zester for pedicures. And then they made one!!! I think it’s where the PedEgg was knocked off from, though I got the one with the handle and replaceable blade.

78. Sarcastikate says:

Say what you will, but this thing actually works quite well. Whoever had the idea to adapt carpentry planes into items for personal care & the kitchen was a genius. Sometimes bad advertising makes good things look cheesy.

79. BurntToast says:

Is the guy that is recording the commercial getting off at the sight of the feet filings (so gross!) getting dumped in the trash?

That… “Uaaaaaargh…” is so nasty. :D