A Tale Of Two Apple Stores

Even at Apple where consistency practiced and preached, not all Apple Stores are created equal, just ask reader Adam. The Bluetooth capability on his Macbook Pro was malfunctioning and because he relies on his Macbook for work, he couldn’t simply drop it off for a week to be repaired. Fortunately, Adam had a 1-week vacation ahead, so he left the Macbook at the Millenia Apple Store in Orlando, FL. who promised him that the repairs would be made before the end of his break. Adam returned to pick up the Macbook and discovered that not only had it not been fixed, nobody had even attempted to diagnose the problem. Adam could not afford to miss any work, so on a whim, he brought it to a different Apple Store which produced a dramatically different result. Adam’s letter, inside…

Here’s a nice little story of what I encountered at the Apple Store.
Bad customer service turns to good customer service, I guess?

I have a MacBook Pro that I’ve had for about a year now. I noticed a
few months ago that the Bluetooth was acting up – by acting up I mean
Leopard told me there was no Bluetooth installed. I use my laptop as
my business. I do freelance graphic design so I rely on my MacBook Pro
and couldn’t afford to take it in for a week just to get the Bluetooth
fixed.

Well I had planned a vacation out of town for a week so before I left
I thought I’d bring it in to the Millenia Apple Store so they can work
on it while I was away. When I brought it in, the “Apple Genius”
looked at my repair history and saw that I had my top case replaced in
January (which I did, they fixed a double click mouse problem). I
mentioned to him that my bluetooth has failed to work for several
months. He told me that the Bluetooth module was attached to the top
case, and when they put a new top case on in January they did not
transfer the Bluetooth module from the old part to my computer.

Wow, ok so Apple screwed it up in the first place. The tech apologized
and said it was totally their fault I had to come back, etc. I told
them is wasn’t too much of a problem since I had planned to go on
vacation. He promised me it would be fixed and that was that.

7 days later, when I returned from my vacation I headed back to the
Millenia Apple Store. My computer was not ready. As a matter of fact,
the tech told me they had a back log and my computer hasn’t even been
looked at. I spoke to the manager, told them it was Apple’s fault for
me being there in the first place and I needed my computer. He
apologized to me but stood firm that it would be done in a few more
days but that was unacceptable to me as I needed my laptop for work.
So I left, laptop in hand in the same state as I brought it in.

I then went to the Florida Mall Apple Store and spoke to the manager
there. I told him the story and he seemed appalled at the way I was
treated. He took my computer and promised it would be fixed in an hour
or so. I wandered around the mall for a little while and came back to
a fully functioning computer. He told me he would speak to the
district manager about the way I was treated at the Millenia store.

So there you go. Two Apple Stores, two ways of being treated. Apple
supposedly has the highest customer service rating in the industry but
apparently there are still holes to be filled.

-Adam

Apparently, all Apple stores aren’t the perfect little clones as they would have you believe. But believe it or not, we’re not here to crucify Apple. The fact that the other store was able to understand Adam’s needs and rapidly correct his problem is evidence that Apple’s extraordinary customer service is the rule and not the exception. Kudos to the Apple Store at the Florida Mall.

(Photo: dlayphoto)

Comments

1. trillium says:

Store #2 is the reason I go with Apple. This is how I’ve been treated everytime I needed to call them for support or visit a genius.

2. MikeB says:

This can be said with just about any store, the quality of service all depends on the staff. You can go into any of the stores with the worst rep and get good service. I have had good experience at the Walmart near me (forgot a bag at the register, called up and it was held for me), yet there are plenty of horror stories.

3. weakdome says:

Wow, an hour to repair it? Must’ve been seriously messed up. Good thing the genuises were there to help.
    /sarcasm

4. Asvetic says:

Nobody’s perfect… it’s cool that the one store is totally going to tattle on the other.

5. MissTicklebritches says:

“One bad apple don’t spoil the whole bunch, girl!”

6. freejazz38 says:

but, but, nooo, NOOOO Apple is GOD! They NEVER break down! LIES I tell ya, ALL LIES!!!!

7. xaqdesign says:

Well, this is sometimes typical of apple stores. Make no mistake, I’ve ALWAYS been treated professionally, and courteously by every apple employee, on the phone, or in the store, that I’ve encountered.

However, when my parents bought a 24″ iMac when the Aluminums came out last fall we had some issues getting it replaced and with my dad getting his free iPod out of the deal (he’s an educator). A call to applecare, rendered the solution and the district manager contacted my dad that day. Situation solved, unit replaced, data transferred, hard disk securely wiped (and proven to us), free iPod obtained. Apple redeemed themselves.

Also, I just took my cousin’s first gen CoreDuo macbook in because the hard disk died, and she also suffered from the terrible discoloration & topcase cracking issues.

Not only did they replace the hard disk, and top case, but they replaced her keyboard, trackpad, logic board, heatsink, thermal paste, and she essentially has a new machine now except for her burner and screen, and I didn’t ask for any of that.

It’s the kind of service I have come to expect with applecare.

8. Well, on one hand, if store A had a back log and didn’t get to it, it’s hard to be justifiably mad at them. If they forgot about it, or skipped it and fixed other machines that had come in after Adam’s MBP; that’s different.

On the other hand, store A’s manager should have offered to have a tech look at it right then because of the circumstances (like store B’s did).

What I’m learning from this site, and in general as I get older, is that everyone makes mistakes and shit happens. But how it’s handled is what makes the difference.

9. donwarnersaklad says:

How important is it to upgrade from OS X 10.3.9 ?…

10. RhymePhile says:

This instance may be a good reason for Adam to invest in a cheap yet reliable backup computer, just in case something like this happens again. Computers aren’t fail-proof (even if it is an Apple), and if he had a more serious problem it wouldn’t have mattered how great the customer service was — it would still need time to be fixed.

11. Anonymous says:

I’ll agree, that Millena Apple store has always been iffy on customer service.

12. Nick1693 says:

@donwarnersaklad: You might be looking for Gizmodo on that one.

13. EdWedig says:

I agree with heavylee-again: It’s how a store handles a situation that matters.

I wish I had the choice of going to another Apple store tog et better service. Unfortunately, there is only one around here (Columbus, OH), and on 2 separate occasions, this Apple store (Easton) has disappointed me.

The first time was last fall, when I decided to finally buy an iPod. I went into the Apple store to buy a new iPod Classic, but I couldn’t get anyone to help me. The store wasn’t busy, or crowded, but the employees ignored me. After 10-15 minutes of waiting around, I finally stood in line and told the cashier that I wanted to buy an Ipod. Well, they had them under the counter, but there was no “have you used an Ipod before?” or pretty much any questions beyond what model I wanted. I had to make my decision based on the information on their little signs. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy with my purchase, but I was disappointed in the way the sale was handled.

A few months later, I had a problem with my Ipod only connecting to my PC laptop at USB1.1 speed (which sucked). I was in the area one day, and decided to stop and talk to one of their geniuses. Unfortunately, I had to “schedule” an appointment….online. Fine. I went home (other side of town), and schedule an appointment for a few days in the future.

On the day of my appointment, I drove across town, told the girl that I was here for my appointment, and had to wait for 20mins until I could talk to someone (I was on time, they were running behind).

So, I finally talk to the genius, and he wont even look at my Ipod to see if it’s the problem! He insists that I need to update the drivers on my computer…which I had done, and I had told him so. I had already done everything except reinstall the OS and hadn’t fixed the problem, that’s why I was talking to him. But, this “genius” insisted I needed updated drivers, and wouldn’t help me any further. Great. I drove all the way across town for this?

I’m a graphic designer, and I’ve been using Macs almost as long as I’ve been using PCs. But, I’ll never own one if this is the kind of “service” I’ll get from Apple.

Oh, and I later discovered that this location is the same one that call the autistic guy a freak. Nice.
    [consumerist.com]

14. jawtry says:

There’s an Apple store not more than 400 yards away from my workplace, so I’ve taken my Macbook Pro to see a ‘genius’ a few times. My conclusion? They’re totally, completely useless.

Sorry, Apple, but if you’re going to brand them as geniuses, you better make sure they’re up to some sort of franchise code. If genius means, “fiddle with it for 30 seconds, tell me flatly it’ll take 7 days to repair, and take it to the back room,” then fine. But I’ve had much better luck with the local mom-and-pop authorized Apple mechanics. They’re eager for business, thorough and fast. What Apple told me would take a week, the local shop fixed in less than an hour.

From now on, I’ll go to the Apple store to browse, but I’ll do my buying from the little(r) guys.

15. mike says:

Kinda reminds me of that Family Guy episode:
    And we can build two Denny’s so that we can say, “No, let’s not go to that one. Let’s go to the good one.”

Kudos indeed to Apple. I totally want a MacBook…

16. JeffDrummer says:

This isn’t too crazy, I have had similar experiences at my Apple store. I had a MacBook with a defect and the warrantee was up in a week, so I took it in – right before exams. So I asked if they would have it done by next Thursday so I could use the weekend to study (This was a Saturday, when I brought it in) – they say they will have it done even sooner. Thursday comes and goes, and I go in on Friday, I talk to the manager and ask if its ready – no. When will it be ready? She doesn’t know. Have they started working on it? She can’t tell me. Can I have my laptop back? I have to make an appointment with the Genius Bar. Now, there are no appointments available for the rest of the day, I point this out, she says I need to come back tomorrow JUST TO GET MY OWN COMPUTER!
    So I get home call Apple Care, and I get up to level 3 customer service, I ask for an ETA, and they won’t give it. Then I say I need a laptop and the lemon law in my state says three major repairs constitutes a lemon, by law they must replace it. They say no, because I got my laptop replaced twice (the first time the guy at the Apple Store dropped it, the second time there were multiple problems and they said it was just cheaper to replace the whole thing).

Apple is not some great magical company, I have never hated a company so much, but still continued to buy their product.

17. jashba says:

Apple store Geniuses in West Palm Beach are just as bad. It’s almost like they’re getting the most basic of training, and can’t handle the stuff you’d need a genius for in the first place. Apple has done a good enough job posting answers to pretty much any question you could have on their website, but on the real tough issues (mine was a backup question involving spanned drives with time machine’s time capsule), they just stood there mouths wide open like, “who the hell would need an answer to that question?” Apparently, unless it’s an ipod, imac simple simple question, that’s where the training ends…..However our office did need emergency repair work on our MacPro, and the TECH guys (NOT the “geniuses”) at the gardens mall in Palm Beach Gardens were excellent. Anyone in my area needs Mac questions answered DO NOT go to Wellington Mall, go to Gardens Mall and skip the “Geniuses” and go straight to the tech guys. They’ll answer all the questions, and if they don’t know the answer, they’ll sure as hell find it for you quick!

18. battra92 says:

This reminds me. I was in K-Mart last night with a friend helping her buy some camping supplies. She bought a large water container and something else. The lazy cashier girl just placed them on top of the large bags and then proceeded to look at us like it was OUR job to bag things, mind you there were no customers behind us.

Now I made a comment to my friend while walking to the door how bad the cashier was and she said something like “watch this” and went to the desk and complained. The manager/supervisor/whatever at the desk immediately went over to the cashier to take care of the situation and my friend told me, “Things will get worse when you don’t complain.”

Kind of summed up the site for me at times.

Anyway, Apple stores are usually second to none when it comes to in store tech support. Unfortunately locations can be not up to snuff and it’s good that he at least got it fixed.

It’d be nice to have two Apple stores close to me. Heck, it’d be nice to have ONE apple store within an hour and a half of me. :-/

19. superchou says:

I have had nothing but good experiences when I have to take something back in for repairs or just going to the store to buy something. I have only made purchases at the Towson, MD location and the Pittsburgh, PA one.

Several years ago I had one of those eMacs and it was experiencing some serious issues with the screen, jumped around and all kinds of stuff. Each time they were super friendly and after the 3rd time I brought it in with the same issue they gave me a brand new one, the next generation, and I guess since I was not a pain in the butt to deal with, the Genius even upgraded my RAM for me, for free. While I always loved Apple products, after that I was hooked.

I am about to make a move to Pittsburgh and there is an Apple store 2 blocks from where we will be living. My husband, who has lived there for a while, loves the store. The employees are really friendly and they have developed quite a friendship and rapport with him.

While I am sure that from time to time you meet someone who is a pain working at the store I have yet to experience that.

20. Kevin Cotter says:

I’ve noticed all Apple users seem to wear funny hats. Do I need a funny looking hat to use an Apple, or does using an Apple cause me to wear funny looking hats? I once went to an Apple store in the Mall of America, and I was the only one in the store without a funny hat. I got scared and left…

21. coolkiwilivin says:

22. Cap'n Jack says:

I love my iBook, but until apple makes hardware easier to replace/upgrade, it’ll never replace my desktop PC.

23. chikarin says:

You shouldn’t really jump to declare a company good or bad based on a experience with a customer service. For the most part it relies mostly on the individual that you deal with rather than the company itself.

Of course it is up to the corporate to manage and control the employees but there is a limit to that. But rather I think it is important to disclose the exact person or location like in this article so that people can be aware. If the Apple store in Millenia sees this I would think that they would try to change for the better to not to lose more business. Shame on that Millenia manager though, any manager with half a brain would have made it top priority to get the computer fixed or at least diagnosed.

24. RetailGuy83 says:

This is what I dont get, and maybe I nver will.

You own a small business where you profit over $100,000 a year. Your business relies on a constant mix of new and repeat customers. A business critical piece of equipment cost $2,000. Without it, you cant DO ANYTHING. Up front, you know that it is at best a finiky item that could take more than 1 week to repair.

Why don’t you own two of them? Thats just bad business. Even if you are employed but have to provide your own tools, you would own 2. The whole “I need it for work” thing never really worked for me. If you were serious about your job/business, you would own a backup.

25. Myrddraal says:
  26. rjgnyc says:

Wait wait wait wait wait.

Are you telling me that one store had a backlog of stuff to do, and the other didn’t?

Get out of town.

I don’t see what store #1 did wrong. They apologized for Apple doing something wrong and said they’ll fix it. They weren’t able to fix it according to schedule, so they apologized. Store #2 had time available to fix something.

Did store #1 get huffy or something? Anything that implies they didn’t care about the customer? Is their biggest fault just not having the time to do something and apologizing for it?

27. Skankingmike says:

who cares about your crap Blue tooth, what are you planning on using it for? NOTHING. as a freelancer you time is your money, and yet you wasted all that time to fix something you probably don’t’ need.

And that store could have had 1000 computers. Maybe their tech is better than the other one. I don’t know. But if their that back up that should say something about apple products.

28. SharkD says:

The problem, as discussed on other sites, with the current Genius crowd is that the position has fairly high turn-over.

Apple expects Geniuses to work 40 hour weeks (unlike the vast majority of the retail staff), but pays them far below what an Apple-certified tech would make in an independent authorized repair shop. Furthermore, it now takes months before they’re sent to Cupertino for the intensive training, because the high turnover has made Apple shy about shelling out the airfare, hotel and training costs for someone who’s likely to leave within 6 months, so many are relying on in-store training, which can only be done on downtime.

By the way, most Geniuses recoil at the title (it’s not like they’ve deemed themselves “geniuses”) and think it’s very original when a customer makes a “funny” comment on it, the 35th they’ve heard that day.

29. Logan26 says:

I still can’t believe so many believe so many people in the world like to buy OVER PRICED PCs.

Hi, I’m dave, just let me know what I can do to help.
    Sure, I’m looking to buy a computer
    Not a problem, this machine here will be all you ever need
    really?
    yes really.
    how much is it?
    2000 and comes with a 22″ screen
    Cool, but whats in it
    (take your pic of mid ranged hardware)
    awesome.

Meanwhile, 2g at dell or gateway will net you highend gear. And the BS commercials where they try to pass off apples as being spyware and virus free is a joke and an out right lie. Now the vsta part of them, i’ll give apple that much even though I use VistaU to play a few games with, but I’m mostly in XP on my pc.

30. imaLttlGrl says:

@battra92: I understand it’s the principle of the matter, but what do you need bags for if you only have 2 items and one of those items are large? Seems like a waste. -However, she should have asked you if you wanted bags, but doesn’t seem like something to get huffy over.

And I agree, the store that you go to determines the level of service or no service that you recieve. I have gone to my Wal*Mart and had absolutely no problems, it is nice and clean and people are helpful (98% of the time), but then I’ve been to some where I don’t even want to touch any of the merchandise because the place is so dirty and am afraid to ask for assistance with anything at all because the people look so scary and mean.

Apple Store #2, good job. Maybe Apple store #1 should get a little more training, and if they really were back logged, I’m pretty sure they should have known it was going to happen when the guy took it into them. The service should have came in the order it arrived, and based on that, they should have known what was ahead of them. Although I’ve never worked in an Apple store, so who knows.

31. @coolkiwilivin: Only the mac fanboys kool aid drinkers think this is excellent CS. Give me a friggin break, I work for a big company and with the contract we have with Dell, the guy would have showed up whereever I was with the part the next day to fix it. Customer – I’m based in Florida but I’ll be on vacation tomorrow in South Dakota. Dell – No problem where do you want them to meet you at? Please people, once apple gets serious about support not this mail in your computer for a week or you take your time, drive in your car and sit in our store while we try to fix your problem then don’t even say that Apples are corporate ready. Dell is by no means perfect but to their corporate and business customers they know how to treat them and take care of them. Apple FTL!

You’re not making a fair comparison. The Dell warranty you are describing is obviously one with onsite service included. Even if Adam had purchased the extended AppleCare service, there is no onsite service for laptops. He had no option to call Apple and say, ‘Meet me here.’

Also, Apple may have onsite support for laptops for large companies, like the one you work for, but Adam doesn’t appear to be a large company.

32. farwest1 says:

I’ve had very much the same experience at the two Apple Stores here in Palo Alto. The one on University Avenue is always swamped, and there’s often a line at the Genius Bar. They’ve always been polite, but the two times I’ve gone there, they’ve wanted to take my MacBook in for service–mainly because of a backlog of work.

One of the “geniuses” suggested that I go to the much smaller store in the Stanford Mall. It’s counterintuitive that a smaller store might be less busy and with better service, but I went there and they fixed my problem in a matter of minutes. More than ayear later, the person who fixed my computer still remembers my name and cares enough to ask how my computer’s working.

Moral #1: Find a less busy Apple store if you want right-away service.
    Moral #2: Apple is a great customer-service company.

33. Logan26 says:

I should also add, PC users can buy and build their own machine if they wanted to and for 2k have something that would smoke a 2k apple. Apple users however can’t exactly build their own macs, but if they paid enough for the parts I guess they could, but it would cost way more than 2 grand to do it for a mid range mac.

34. coan_net says:

And what I almost always say to stories on this site (and this proves it)

It is almost never a company policy to give bad service to customers… but a few “bad” apples that make the whole company look bad.

35. azntg says:

@RetailGuy83: Agreed, but that’s only if you can afford for a backup. Some people live on surprisingly tight budgets and let’s face it: Macs don’t come cheap (though alternative computers should be considered)

36. RetailGuy83 says:

@heavylee-again:

there is no onsite service for laptops. He had no option to call Apple

I think that was his point dude.

37. jamar0303 says:

@coolkiwilivin: “I work for a big company and with the contract we have with Dell”

Says it all right there. Show me an instance where a home customer gets that kind of service, then you can put Dell on a pedestal like that.

38. Logan26 says:

I happen to know of several home users who get that kind of service from dell. Its called selecting and paying for the on site, next day warranty. Which sadly, the vast majority of PC users never even buy extended warranties let alone onsite.

39. adster says:

Hi Guys, Adam here – yep, the one from the article.

I just wanted to dispel a few things. First of all, I realize Bluetooth isn’t a critical component. I do, however, want to get a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. And why shouldn’t my laptop have full functionality?

I know the Consumerist didn’t highlight this aspect, but the whole reason I was there was because Apple didn’t replace a part right the first time. It was missing a tiny bluetooth module which takes about 15 mins to install (open up, plug in, close up). The original tech told me this and even said it would be a quick fix. I would’ve felt differently if it just stopped working and I would’ve understood, but they didn’t repair it right the first time.

Finally – yes, I do have a second computer for emergencies. While I keep all my files on external drives, it’s a PC and Adobe licenses aren’t cross-platform. I’ll look into getting a backup Mac but that’s a little pricey just for a “what if”.

40. suzy-q says:

Having been to the Millenia Apple Store a few times, I honestly can say that I’m not surprised. The store is always ridiculously packed for the size of it. By comparison the Florida Mall tends to be much less crowded.

41. jamar0303 says:

@Logan26: I checked the site. Says “on-site next Business Day” warranty (so if it breaks on Friday I’ll have to wait until Monday?) and it’s marked with an asterisk that’s not very well-explained. It also looks like it’s included in the base price.

…Odd. I reopen the site and it’s disappeared- base configuration has 1-year mail-in warranty now.

42. Ein2015 says:

Everybody makes mistakes. It’s fixing them quickly, easily, and in a satisfactory manner that makes companies stand out.

That’s why I <3 Apple!

43. macinjosh says:

@Skankingmike: Obviously, he needed it, otherwise he wouldn’t have noticed the problem. My laptop’s ethernet port could be totally borked but I wouldn’t know because I never plug anything into it.

44. helloashley says:

Adam should file a report with Apple customer service.
    [www.apple.com]
    When a report has a low score, people do take notice and someone will contact Adam about his experience at the Apple store.

45. famousmortimer78 says:

@Skankingmike:
    I fall into the “blame the OP” crowd on a lot of issues, but honestly. It took an HOUR. Store 1 couldn’t squeeze that into the week they had? There is such a thing as good customer service and that is not it.

46. Prions says:

The first store messed up. When your service department makes a mistake and a unit needs to be sent back in for a rework that unit should get priority.

Kudos to the second store. That’s how I try to deal with these issues.

47. Mudpuddle says:

They shouldnt have told him they would do it before he returned and then did nothing. No excuses!
    Kudos to the apple store that took care of him^

48. TheNerd says:

Yay for good customer service!

49. drdom says:

I had a problem with my MacBook, which was only 3 months old randomly starting itself up. I took it in for repairs 9 days before I needed it for a presentation I was doing in London. The techs at store sent it in for depot servicing, as they were only able to duplicate the problem once.

Someone on the depot end dropped the ball, and it looked like I was not going to have it back in time for my trip. The store manager arranged to have my laptop replaced with a new one, and had the old hard drive shipped overnight and installed in time for me to make my plane.

In many years of dealing with Apple, I can say that I have NEVER had an experience where they left me hanging. Everybody makes mistakes. But companies who live up to those mistakes and make things right deserve the recognition, and the repeat business. Unfortunately, I have not had anywhere near that type of experience with HP or Dell.

50. AgentTuttle says:

I don’t have hardware problems often, but after playing mind wrestling with one of their “geniuses,” I end up fixing it myself.

Installed my own hard drive and fixed a problem where my powerbook would fall asleep every ten seconds or less. If yours does this, let me know and I can walk you through it.

51. JeffDrummer says:

Oh the great Apple-PC debate.

This is honestly what I think sums it up well – Apple has a great OS, but the hardware is overpriced.

Windows OS is crap, (it is, I used XP until mid-2006, and ever since 1995, I also use Vista on my PC, which is marginally better) but the computer you can build is pretty good.

Whoever said that you can’t upgrade a Mac is obviously mistaken, the Mac Pro is easily upgradeable, and all Macs HDDs, and memory is easy to upgrade. Basically what you can’t upgrade (without swapping the logic board) is the CPU, and sometimes the GPU.

I generally find that OS X is far safer, there are only a handful of viruses and spyware in the wild, and they are generally not widely distributed, unlike viruses afflicting Windows.

Oh, and on a Mac, I can open an email that says “I love you” ;)

52. JeffDrummer says:

Doh! let me clarify my stupid mistake, I have used Windows since 1995, not XP.

PIMF!

53. superjap says:

Well first off, Millenia is a shitty mall for tourists where they jack up the prices and don’t give a shit how they treat you, because in all likelihood, most customers there will never be back, but real people actually go to the Florida mall, and decent people work there.

54. Myrddraal says:

You’ve gotta love Mac fanboys.

“I overpaid for my laptop by $1500 but the customer service is great!”

1. If you own a PC you can troubleshoot it or you know someone who can. You don’t have to take out a home equity loan to by a new part or upgrade.

2. Windows is not PC. Windows is windows. If you don’t like windows you can use another OS.

3. Mac OS security is like swiss cheese just most users don’t know it. Windows is like swiss cheese as well but at least everyone is aware and there is some great 3rd party open source software that fixes it. Linux can be great just depends on the build and user knowledge. Solaris is like a fucking vault but you need a degree to put an icon on the desktop.

4. Great customer service is not an argument against PC’s because PC is not a brand it is a standard.

There are plenty of PC stores and online retailers that do have wonderful customer service.

Learn how to use more then one mouse button.

Any replier’s should first refer to the like provided in my previous comment.

55. Myrddraal says:

*link provided… interesting typo

56. baristabrawl says:

This happened to me once, same thing except my fan was running constantly and the computer was over heating. I’d done everything I could think to do, reset everything I could think to reset and then I took it in to the Apple Store and they told me I needed a new mother board. It was finals week and I told them I’d bring it back in at the end of the week, hoping it didn’t die on me.

I started doing more diagnostics at home and the CPU usage kept spiking up to 98%. I kept looking and discovered that the problem had something to do with shared printing. So I forced that process to quit and it was fine.

I did call back and tell the tech that I fixed it and it didn’t need a new motherboard, but they didn’t so much care. Meh.

57. baristabrawl says:

@Myrddraal: We don’t care how much you love computers. You know how you feel about Apple? That’s how most of us feel about your operating systems.

I’ve had fewer problems in 5 years of using OS X than I did in 6 months of using Windows. It just works better. I don’t have security issues, I don’t have holes in my cheese and I don’t care if you do.

The only argument I ever get into is that you HAVE to know so much more to use a Windows computer. If you don’t, then you are constantly clicking and downloading and getting spyware and viruses.

Having said that, if this is what you do, then it is your fault. Everyone should know how to properly use their computer. If they don’t, then they shouldn’t even bother turning it on. When people come to me now and say they are having computer problems I just say, “Sorry…I use a Mac. I don’t even know how to use Windows.” Which is a lie, but I’m sick of fixing every ignorant person’s mistakes and telling them it’s their fault for clicking on a pop-up window that said they had a virus. Ug.

58. induscreed says:

exactly what is it the OP needed the BT function for that was interrupting work?
    BT mouse, BT Printer, BT Headset for VOIP calls?

All of the above can be done inexpensively through wired methods…I cant see it stopping work.

I’m really curious,,,sate the voyeur in me…what did OP need the BT for?

59. adster says:

@induscreed:

I bought a BT Mouse and BT Keyboard. Correct, everything can be done wired, but with 2 USB ports options become slim.

Plus, if the laptop has Bluetooth capability built in, why not utilize it? It didn’t interrupt work, as I had a planned vacation and dropped off the laptop to get fixed while I was on said vacation.

60. @freejazz38: heh.

61. Wormfather is Wormfather says:

Some commenter on Gizmodo, GatesFTW I think his name was, told me that Apples will give you cancer.

62. RetailGuy83 says:

@baristabrawl: Mac first to fall

You may not have holes in your cheese, but your OS is built like a fucking hula-hoop.

63. ericlo says:

I live in Orlando and I prefer the Florida Mall store as well. The employees at FL Mall are friendlier. There is an air of superiority and snooty-ness that exudes at Millenia. Don’t know why it’s that way. That’s been my impression since the store opened.

64. Meathamper says:

I wonder what it’s like at the Boston one? I haven’t been there, but yeah.

65. Smorgasbord says:

It doesn’t have to be an Apple store. There are many Businesses who repair Apple stuff.
    I am a retired truck driver who ran the same route each week and was home each night except Thursday, so it was hard for me to go to an Apple store, and the nearest one was a long ways away. There was one on my route in a mall that I stopped to eat Friday afternoons, so I started taking it there. Unfortunately they started a policy of only booking customers two days ahead, and you had to do it over the Internet. Most of the time, when I tried to book a time, it would be full. I called and asked them if I could schedule it by phone and was told no. They would let me drop it off and pick it up the next week, but that meant I would be without it for a week.
    I am now retired, and found a place called MacOutfitters near me in Doylestown PA. They only deal with Mac products, and I have never had a problem with them. Anyone near there, and having a problem getting an appointment at an Apple store, might want to give them a try. You can find other Apple repair stores by going to ([www.apple.com]) and typing in your town or zip code.

66. Logan26 says:

@baristabrawl:

That is the largest load of crap I have ever heard in my life. First of all, Windows is an OS not a PC. Secondly, a PC is what one uses an OS on. Thirdly, Linux is by far heads and shoulders above Mac OS X and it works on damn near any hardware, not just 1 small niche market. And if the vast majority of Windows users weren’t such idiots, windows wouldn’t have such a bad rap. Which brings me to your LIE, yes I said yours and every other BS speaking MAC user. There are far more than just “a hand full of viruses” out there that attack MACs.

Another point I’d like to make if MS and Apples roles were reversed, guess what, 95% of all viruses and spyware would be attacking your beloved OS and not MS’s.

And no one said anything about upgrading a MAC, what was stated was that you CAN’T BUILD YOUR OWN MAC WITHOUT PAYING 2X AS MUCH AS YOU WOULD IF YOU SIMPLY BOUGHT IT.

And as someone pointed out, what is the problem with all MAC users that Apples refuses to offer a two button mouse? Every one of you must be simpletons.

67. RetailGuy83 says:

@Logan26: To be fair, Apple released the “mighty mouse” with two buttons plus a x and y axis scroll knob at about the same time as the Intel switch.

68. lasciate says:

@Logan26: Apple has offered a two button mouse since 2005. Who’s the simpleton again?

69. Logan26 says:

@lasciate:

Every store I goto that has apples on display, to incluse apples stores near me, none have a 2 button mouse so pardon me for not knowing they finially got off their asses and joined the rest of the world.

70. bryanarr says:

I guess this blog network is apple lovers all around. yike yikes.

71. Sundermania says:

@Logan26: I’m using a four button mac mouse right now. With a scroll ball that goes in all directions and is the greatest thing that ever happened in video editing history.

72. Logan26 says:

@Sundermania:

Thats nice, Logitech and MS has had one on the market for several years now. It still doesn’t make up for the fact that Apple is way overprised for what you get.

73. dopplerd says:

Two months ago my 2.5 year old first gen 17″ powerbook died and was sent in for repair. No applecare and out of warranty. I got the call back that the part was $350, do I want it repaired? I said yes and the next day repair called back and said that they couldn’t find the part. I didn’t even have a chance to get annoyed because the next sentence out of the person’s mouth floored me:

“Would you be willing to accept a brand new 17″ mac book pro for the cost of the repair?”

I was a little speechless. $350 for a $2700 computer to replace an out of warranty computer? Yes, I’m writing this message on it right now.

Not that Apple service is perfect, but they at least lead the pack.

74. Dyscord says:

That’s pretty cool. A lot better than the service I received at the closest apple store. The sad thing is that there isn’t any other stores close to my location. My ibook wouldn’t eject disks, so I took it in to get it fixed and a week later, they wanted 750 dollars because the motherboard had to be replaced due to “liquid damage” due to spilled coffee. Nevermind the fact that I don’t even drink coffee and I would have remembered spilling coffee on my beautiful ibook.

75. Trai_Dep says:

Taurus owners must feel the same way about Acura owners as Windows ones do about Mac OS X.
    Although, to be fair, Taurus owners don’t allow themselves to be self-deluded that Tauruses are better. And at least they bother to inform themselves about Acruras before commenting.

76. Smd75 says:

SOHO apple store in NYC is the best one, they’ve been the ones to solve numerous problems with hardware. They are incredibly busy, but the experiences Ive had with them, they rocked and took care of my issues right away.

77. rolla says:

just because its an apple store doesnt mean that it isnt like any other store. they have good ones, and they have bad ones. Apple doesnt equal better than others…i hate the Apple freaks who think Apple and nothing else. where were the Apple freaks before the ipod came out??…did they stick up for Apple back then too?? i highly doubt it…

78. hco22boy says:

just got back from the millenia store… left with hardware in same condition as well, going to florida mall from here on out