Are You Skilled Enough For The TSA's "Black Diamond" Security Line?

Are you a good skier? Do you tackle the “black diamond” slopes without hesitation? Well, the TSA has a new challenge for you — the “black diamond” security line. In an effort to reduce the stress that travelers feel when families are holding up the security line — or when pushy frequent fliers try to cut in front of those families, the TSA has been testing a “self-select” program that allows fliers to choose which line they would feel most comfortable in.

The TSA says the program has been a big success and has expanded it to 21 airports. They claim the expert lanes move faster and families are receiving more assistance and sounding fewer alarms. There’s even a “casual” lane for travelers who know the rules but don’t like feeling rushed by those pushy “black diamond” people.

Since it appears to be here to stay, If you’d like to strap on your bureaucracy skis and give the “black diamond” line a shot, the TSA offers these helpful tips:

• DO: Wear slip-on shoes. Laces and zippers will slow you down.

• DO: empty your pockets and put loose items in your purse, jacket pockets, or carry-on bag while before you get to the checkpoint.
  • DO: place magazines, snacks or souvenirs purchased in the airport in a carry-on bag or purse before you get to the checkpoint. Consolidating your items before they go in the bins will help you recompose quickly and clear the checkpoint exit area.
  • DO: have your liquids baggie out of your carry-on, and make sure you don’t have any loose liquid items in your purse or carry-on bag. Notify a security officer if you have any exempt liquids so an officer can provide additional screening if necessary.
  • DO: put your shoes and coat in the first bin and any carry-on bags in other bins. Then after your bins go through the x-ray, you can slip your shoes and coat on while waiting for your other items to come out.
  • DO: put your laptop bag in the bin before your laptop. Then as the bins come out of the x-ray, just slip it back in, zip and go.
  • DO: put your bins on the belt for the x-ray machine vertically versus horizontally. This allows the security officers to view more than one image at a time, and helps speed up the process.
  • DON’T: try to put shoes or boots with zippers or laces on right when you take them out of the bins. Move to the side to let other passengers take their items and go.

For a list of airports that feature the “black diamond” lane, click here.

Black Diamond Self Select Lanes [TSA]
PREVIOUSLY: TSA Brings All The Signage Of Skiing To Security Lines, None Of The Fun

Comments

1. Mr. Guy says:

wow. a seemingly good idea from the TSA. i am shocked.

2. Pylon83 says:

The “Black Diamond” line at Midway is a joke. My wife and I traveled 2 weeks ago and entered the “expert” line, there was a lady with 4 kids in front of us, and the screener who was checking ID though he was sherlock holmes and was taking about 3x longer to check ID’s than his counterpart next to him. It was actually SLOWER in the expert line than in the “casual traveler” line, and there were fewer people.

3. PinkBox says:

My routine is to always go to the shortest line. ;)

4. thesepretzels says:

meh. I’m a double diamond guy.

5. Xay says:

They have this system in Orlando and it is a joke. People get in the shortest line, they don’t even look at the signs.

6. Myrddraal says:

Pretty soon we are going to need a special travelers license. I love how the idea of having to present your “papers” was one of the things Americans found so horrible about the Nazi’s and now Americans are practically strip searched before taking a domestic flight. I usually like to get to know a person before they are looking up my ass with a flashlight.

7. send9 says:

@Pylon83: I think it depends when you go. I was at MDW at around 5am yesterday (Monday) and it seemed a BIT faster, but not a huge improvement. Everyone in line seemed to understand what was going on, too. Actually, like an idiot, I threw my laptop bag on the belt before taking my laptop out. I got scolded for it, since I was in the expert line, and I was actually pretty glad they’re enforcing it. On the other hand, my co-worker said when he was in the “Expert” line, the woman in front of him did not present ID to the person in front of security. When he asked for, she was dismayed and asked “Why would you need to see my ID?” The only way this concept will work is if they send people like that to the back of the casual line.

8. catcherintheeye says:

Just flew out of Midway on Thursday where this system is in use, and I used the “casual traveler” line. It’s great to not have to deal with tons of screaming kids and clueless parents in front of you.

And as someone who doesn’t travel all the time, it’s nice to not piss of the more experienced ones.

Security went much faster than in Denver where this isn’t in practice.

9. You should fly with me, and whichever line I pick, you go in the other one. Inevitably, regardless how short the line, whenever I get in, it immediately comes to a screeching halt.

10. send9 says:

Just read over your tips and…

“DO: have your liquids baggie out of your carry-on, and make sure you don’t have any loose liquid items in your purse or carry-on bag. Notify a security officer if you have any exempt liquids so an officer can provide additional screening if necessary.”

I’m not going to say you should break any rules, but if you ask any frequent traveler, this is NOT the thing to do…

11. sir_pantsalot says:

Seems like a good idea but never under estimate stupid. and with TSA and the general public both going at it stupidity will prevail.

12. noi56u says:

@catcherintheeye: Just flew out of Denver on Saturday – they are using the “ski lanes” now as well. And like everywhere else, families with little kids are clogging these up as well.

Where the terrain park line?

13. digitalhen says:

i loved the guy in front of me in Puerto Rico who, seemingly an experienced traveller, then proceeded to collect his belongings, and redress himself immediately at the end of the xray. the line backed up for 5 full minutes.

awesome.

14. NightSteel says:

I forget which airport it was, but my wife and I encountered this system in one of them on a recent trip. It seemed like a good idea, except when we got there, there was a TSA person directing people to the shortest line. Sort of defeated the purpose..

15. sir_pantsalot says:

@sir_pantsalot: Horrible punctuation and grammar will also prevail.

16. MissTicklebritches says:

Quick question — if you wear flip flops, do you need to take them off? I’m talking about the cheap, thin-soled ones.

17. sir_pantsalot says:

@MissTicklebritches: Yes you still ahve to take them off. We are not talking about common sense. We are dealing with mindless drones who have been told that shoes need to be removed.

18. B says:

Last time I tried the black diamond line I tripped on the moguls. Talk about an embarrassment. My 3 oz liquid bottles went flying and my shoes got stuck in the conveyor belt. Next time I’ll stick to the blue square line.

19. ShadowFalls says:

Next you will have some fight about some person getting into the wrong line and the sorts…

• ShizaMinelli says:

@ShadowFalls: Well, this “special lanes” thing can only go so far wiht the constant demise of common sense and/or courtesy that’s happening now. People will flock to the black diamond lane, even with children, b/c it seems faster even if they aren’t “expert travelers”, just b/c they want to get through asap and don’t care about the concept of other people in the world

20. hi says:

Just by looking at the graphics I’d choose the one that looks like a man. The black diamond graphic looks like a woman.. I could be wrong. Also how would a person who’s not an expert traveller know which lane to go to anyways?

21. lunchbox says:

@MissTicklebritches: ohh yes. you have to take them off no matter what and prance around barefoot. i still find this preferable to dealing with laces.

22. blue_duck says:

Neither airport I’m going to in a few weeks has this. Damn it!

23. blue_duck says:

@ShadowFalls: Not our fault that the general public is full of illiterate idiots who can’t even understand symbols now…

24. joemono says:

@sir_pantsalot: Yeah, I found out recently that even 10 month old babies are not allowed to wear slip-on shoes through security.

25. helloashley says:

It’s a nice idea but it won’t work. Everyone will think they are an expert traveler or go in the shortest line.

Also, the signage for this program is very poor. The traveller is supposed to understand what line to get in from the signs, but you can’t read them unless you’re really close. All you get is an impression of a woman, a man, and a family. If asked to interpret that, most people would probably define the lines by a man’s line, a woman’s line, and a family line.

26. IphtashuFitz says:

I’m amazed that a lot of security checkpoints don’t have more than one or two chairs nearby in which you can sit to put your shoes, etc. back on. You’d think that they’d realize that having chairs, tables, etc. nearby AFTER the checkpoint would help prevent backups after the fact as people get organized again.

27. zentex says:

@Myrddraal: yea, I love it. We have been told for years in school (back in the day) that the great thing about this country is that we didn’t need any for of identification to travel within the borders…sadly, I can see checkpoints being setup at state borders “in the name of security”.

I guess the US is now the Fourth Reich. I shall go hide all my books now.

28. legwork says:

Next time I fly I’ll be sporting fuzzy slippers and an open-back hospital gown. Cavity search? No problem! Double-diamond all the way, woo hoo!

29. Wormfather is Wormfather says:

Grreeeat, something else for the lady and I to argue about on vacation.

“C’mon honey, black diamond, WE CAN DO IT”

“Awww, look at the family line with all the cute kids”

“Now I know why you cant bring weapons to the airport!”

30. Myrddraal says:

@legwork: I bet those parts have been cut out of the social studies books.

“Teacher why is page 25 missing”

“Shhh, Jimmy they will hear you and come to protect us from your questions”

31. vgerik1234 says:

It does seem very flawed. I haven’t been to an airport recently, but it seems the very slow minded families would not bother to read the signs and see “Oh lawdd people are going into a longer line.. I will out smart them and go into the shorter line! HA TAKE THAT SUPODITDS”. In theory its a good idea… One problem.. people do not read..

The way to enforce it like someone said earlier, is to tell them to move to the appropriate line. Yes they will complain they waited all this time to get up to the front, but their fault for not reading.

32. TSA to the rescue again!

/fail

33. Dervish says:

“Then after your bins go through the x-ray, you can slip your shoes and coat on while waiting for your other items to come out.”

Isn’t this a bad thing to suggest? Maybe this is just me, but in all of the security lines I go through, there’s not a lot of separation between the items – they all come shooting out of the machine in quick succession. I cram my arms full of my crap – jacket, shoes, belt, carryon, laptop, liquids, etc. (and I tend to travel light) – and stagger 20 feet away so I can repack myself. Why ENCOURAGE people to hold up the line?

Thank goodness business travel only takes me one state over these days. Who ever thought a 4-hour road trip could be faster than a 45 minute flight?

34. kepler11 says:

at some airports, there is an experts line — it’s called the Clear pass.

You won’t find any families or clueless people paying $100 each to fly there. Problem solved.

35. lalaland13 says:

@helloashley: “Vaginas over here! Dicks over here! Mr. and Mrs. Dick and their mini-genitals, here!”

@B: That is embarrassing. It’s why I take my car and drink hot cocoa. Which is hazardous while driving. But anyway.

I hate flying. If I had to do it, I would, but I can’t afford it and I’m an anxious person, so they’d probably assume I was carrying drugs or explosives. That’s what the last cop who pulled me over did anyway.

36. Juggernaut says:

Which bin does the colostomy bag go into?

37. TheShepherd says:

This would be a great idea if they actually held people to the signs. Flying out of Logan 4 times in the last two months and trying to use the black diamond lane resulted in nothing more than the same frustration as before…Families, idiots, etc…

38. kikidrunkst says:

I recently went through this process in Seattle, where it seemed to work very well. Self-identifying as an expert traveler appeared to keep everyone on their best travel behavior. However, the TSA needs to do a better job of publicizing the new system, so people know what to expect before they get to the security line.

That said, even in the Expert line, people were fussing with their bags and shoes at the end of the conveyer belt. Take your things and go! That’s what the chairs, five feet away, are for.

39. The_IT_Crone says:

I can not GLOW about this line ENOUGH! I had to go on a business trip earlier in the month (MSP), and had the opportunity to use the black diamond. We were through in what seemed like less than a minute.

In the OTHER lines there were families clogging up the lines, complaining along the lines of “WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN’T TAKE 10 GALLONS OF SUNSCREEN ON THE PLANE?”

We were through, shoes back on, while they were still arguing with the first people.

Expert Traveler line FTW!

40. moore850 says:

They need a fourth, S***head line. That’s what line you’re forced to stand in if you repeatedly hold up any of the other lines.

41. rockstarjoe says:

Whore diamonds?

Sorry I thought I was reading Wonkette for a second…

42. Trai_Dep says:

Will they have a line for Whore Diamonds? Because I’ll totally hover around that line.

43. jscott73 says:

Okay, well I’m flying out of San Diego in two days, by myself with one carry-on. Gonna give the black diamonds a try, unless there is a shorter line elsewhere.

44. mac-phisto says:

personally, i think a better idea would be to have roving tsa agents checking boarding passes & ID while people were queued & then pre-selecting travelers for a 2nd express line based on their preparedness to pass thru security.

this would give the added bonus of having a safety valve for those that have little time to get thru screenings.

i’ve found that airports that send roving guards down the line to check passes, prepare people for the process & answer questions are much faster than the traditional 6 agents hovering around the checkpoint.

45. rockstarjoe says:

@Trai_Dep: …great minds…

46. Magspie says:

I flew out of Denver on Sunday. They had this system, but the expert line had one of those naked picture machines. I went through the family line.

47. HunterZ says:

My girlfriend and I flew out of Seattle late last week and noticed this new system. We decided to use the “expert” line, and it actually ended up being slower by our estimation due to the fact that there were two casual lines but only one expert line running at the time. The airport wasn’t very busy at that time, though, so it really didn’t matter; I’d be curious to see whether it actually helps during more busy times.

I also noticed that they weren’t checking boarding passes as we passed through the metal detectors. I’m not sure if it was because they were less busy, or if it was a new policy to speed things up.

What really annoys me is how the x-ray belts work: I had to wait around for them to scan the stuff belonging to the person behind me because my bin of stuff was on the belt just outside the scanner.

48. theblackdog says:

@Trai_Dep: Minimum 3 whore diamond rating.

49. theblackdog says:

@IphtashuFitz: Maybe we need a list of which airports have the chairs and which don’t. I know Baltimore/Washington (BWI) does.

50. 1 more tip they forgot

DON’T: Fly, whenever possible.

51. Lambasted says:

Black Diamond will be a flop. People can’t even handle “15 items or less” lines in the grocery store. Cash Only sign clear as day…if I a nickel for every time I heard, “Can I write a check?” Or those who go to the express self-checkouts with a cart full of food.

Sorry, no way are people going to adhere to all those line distinctions. They will mindlessly walk to whatever line is the shortest.

52. The Seattle airport has a TSA employee there who likes to check all IDs with a jeweler’s loupe at an excruciatingly small pace. One of my last trips there he was doing this to an elderly woman’s license before scanning it with one of those blacklight ID pens.

If they put this man in charge of the black diamond line it doesn’t matter how experienced you are, it’s still going to take forever.

53. alstein says:

My solution is to abolish the TSA and go back to pre-2001 procedures.

54. Tmoney02 says:

Seems like they should have an age limit on the Diamond line like 18+ to prevent families jumping into the line just because its short.

55. dcfix says:

I never co-operate with the TSA. Last time I flew it was with my 7 year old son, and he left his bottle of lemonade in his backpack. The rent-a-guard got really upset and was trying to make us feel bad about not throwing it away before we went through the line. hah!

All of these ‘rules’ about taking your laptop out of the bag, etc. are really just suggestions to make their jobs easier. Their job is to make people feel safer by pretending to make the airlines more secure. If that means that they have to take a laptop out of your bag then they have to take it out of your bag.

I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to make their ridiculous jobs any easier or more pleasant than they already are. The more that we cooperate with their current set of ‘security requests’ the more likely they are to add new ones (3 oz. of toothpaste, anyone?)

56. Savage says:

Welcome to your Orwellian airport experience. It’s better than having us sheep baaaa, baaaa and mill around aimlessly. Four legs good, two legs baaad!

57. leejames says:

Ahh, the lowering standards of the United States: where knowing how to wear shoes qualifies you as an “expert.”

58. JustThatGuy3 says:

@arstal:

Amen.

59. pal003 says:

I had high hopes for this TSA innovation. When I traveled with an elderly relative – I saw the need for the Special Needs line because people and some TSA employees were impatient and rude. You know who you are out there.

But in Orlando when it takes me 40-60 minutes of waiting behind some travelers with strollers, car seats, 20 stuffed toys, and more carryon baggage than I have ever imagined – I want them in a special line – where I am not.

Otherwise I consider myself a black diamond and just want to get through. How many people still do not take their laptop out and put it in the bin – Arrrggghhh!

60. gbeck says:

When I encountered this almost everyone was in the “expert” line. Apparently people don’t like to admit they are not experts. I went in the “casual” line and went in front of all the “expert” travelers.

61. timmus says:

This is a great idea, but if the TSA agents fail to send the idiot families and “pays with pennies old lady” over to the green line when they’re holding things up, then this idea is just a colossal waste of money.

62. consumersaur says:

Why don’t make families or people with strollers, etc., go to a different line? Or funnel all the people without carry on bags to another line and not give people a choice?

You have a stroller? — C line
    Have 3 kids? — C line
    Have only a briefcase? — A line
    Wearing flip flops and have clear baggy ready to go? — A line

63. sonneillon says:

If there is a wicked long line I just walk down to the terminal and go through security there.

64. Haltingpoint says:

@timmus: Definitely agreed. The success of failure of this will ride on the TSA’s ability to enforce (HAH!) the families/special needs side of things.

I hate to single out those who need extra time and assistance and realize this will probably add to the overall amount of time it takes them to get through the checkpoint, but please understand that the benefits of how quickly others will be able to get through will vastly outweigh your inconvenience.

65. ianmac47 says:

This is not a solution.

66. No matter what they say, it DOES NOT WORK here in Denver. TSA closes so many lanes that the “expert” lane is often the only alternative, whether or not you’re an expert traveler.

67. afrix says:

everyone just chant “grocery store, grocery store” while you’re standing there in the “fast” lane.

The same ignoramuses who buy 3 weeks of groceries for a family of twelve and go through the “15 items or fewer/cash only” lane, and try to use a third party Hungarian check, will equally blindly stumble through whatever TSA line they damn well please.

I once had a Kroger cashier in tears, as I finally got to the front of the line with my one thing after waiting for the above-described ignoramus. I was not happy, and let go with both barrels. Sure, you let her through because you’re AFRAID to UPSET her by having her go to another lane–well, what about ME? You’re not AFRAID to upset ME, are you? Well, let me tell you how upset I am. And off I went.

I flat out didn’t care. And the whole store knew it.

68. Moosehawk says:

It’s a good idea and would work if the average American wasn’t stubborn and stupid. My basic philosophy of the human race still stands though: People are idiots.

69. kylenalepa says:

@NameGoesHere: Damn straight. This is a stupid idea.

@afrix: Sweet. I’ll bet that cashier will think twice next time they decide to let someone abuse the “15 items or less” line.

70. blong81 says:

@Moosehawk:

“My basic philosophy of the human race still stands though: People are idiots.”

Is that excluding you, or not?

71. RoadKing1 says:

They need to create another line for people that refuse to show their ID because they compare airport security to Nazi Germany.

72. Moosehawk says:

@blong81: It definitely includes me.

73. Jubilance22 says:

@xay: I used it a few weeks ago in Orlando and it seemed to go well. In general though, I hate the screening lines in Orlando, way too many parents with 8 kids and 10 strollers, bags full of craps and other random stuff. The security there is a joke, they let everything through, including liquids.

74. deelux523 says:

Do not underestimate the power of the social contract. A terse reminder from a prepared Black Diamonder will help shame the dopes (some of them) in to better behavior.

The problem with this coralling system is the failure of the ninja travellers to make the slowpokes feel bad about themselves. If a TSA monkey tells someone they’re being a selfish dope and holding up their fellow travellers, the dope gets defensive and cries that the TSA staffer was rude to them.

If we ninja travellers make the black diamond lane genuinely inhospitable to the fools, they’ll steer clear. So go ahead and let the morons know when they’re screwing things up for the adequately prepared. And while in line, boast about your security-clearing skills while demonstrating your flawless techniques of shoe removal, laptop management, and familiarity with fluid volumes measured in ounces.

Do not wait for TSA agents to give dopes the tounge-lashings they so sorely deserve, such behavior on TSA’s part would result in poor (worse) customer service numbers, so they are not going to do it.

It is our responsibility as capable, considerate travellers to provide the leadership, guidance, and a good dose of shame to the unprepared boobs in order to help modify their behaviors, or at least get them to realize that they are not the only people trying to fly that day.

75. humphrmi says:

@Moosehawk:

Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that.

–George Carlin

I think that quote is doubly appropriate today.

76. Andr0 says:

Actually, re: Denver International, I’m perplexed.

DIA was one of first airports to get this system implemented, and for a brief while it was in place and worked great – I go through that airport at least 2-3 times a week, and it really made the going visibly smoother.

But then, they actually dropped the ‘casual traveler’ line – one can even see where it was cut out of the posters, and posters taped together – so now there are the ‘expert’ and ‘family’ lanes with the end result being.. back to the square one. No efficiency improvement, only confusion.

I’m not sure if this was done at all security checkpoints in DIA, seeing as some people are commenting on the system in place as if all 3 lanes are there, but I haven’t seen the ‘blue’ lane in quite a while.

77. pal003 says:

@deelux523: Awesome! You are so right!

78. dopplerd says:

Two things:

1. When the TSA comes out with suggestions like this:

“DO: put your bins on the belt for the x-ray machine vertically versus horizontally. This allows the security officers to view more than one image at a time, and helps speed up the process.”

It makes me wonder. I know that they mean to put the bin so that the long side enters the x-ray abyss first, but what they are asking us to do is place the bins like a row of dominoes poised to topple over. Some people will get confused and then the line really gets slow.

2. Why do people stand in line for many minutes watching people take their shoes off and then wait until they are at the front of the line to begin unlacing and removing their shoes? These must be the same morons who wait in line an Mcdonalds or BK and don’t look up to the menu board until they are standing with the cashier. Also, why do you need to look at the menu at Mcd’s anyway.

79. Pancakes?? FRENCH TOAST!! says:

I’m starting to think that getting a private pilot’s license is the best idea all around.

80. pat_trick says:

Putting your laptop on top of your laptop bag won’t work when TSA always makes you put it in a separate bin by itself anyway.

81. johnva says:

@afrix: You should have yelled at the customer instead of the cashier. Yes, the cashiers should ask them not to do that. But they weren’t really the ones at fault. I know that at the Whole Foods here I have seen them ask people not to take too much stuff through the fast lanes.

82. floyderdc says:

@afrix: Big man your are for making a cashier cry, you mother must be proud. This is why this will never work because no one really cares about anybody except themselves. Maybe in another society, but here in the US especially on the East Coast nobody would care that they are in the wrong line. Just go where it is eaiser for them.

83. knyghtryda says:

well… its another “Your papers, please” moment in the downward spiral that is American counter-terrorism. I can’t decide whether its worse here or England and their CCTV and nanny state antics, but damn, there are really fewer and fewer places where you’re truly free. Maybe Sweden? How bout Finland? The Netherlands?

84. vitonfluorcarbon says:

I think the naming of the line is not correct. Some people will go to the “Black Diamond” line because they don’t want to be thought of as a “lesser traveler.” Why don’t they call it frequent flyer (or something else that does not imply that one is an “expert…) and prohibit children from the line?

Great idea, it could just be refined some to even further improve the concept IMHO.

85. Angiol says:

@humphrmi: Actually, half of all people are dumber than the median, not the average.

86. Xay says:

@Jubilance22: Maybe I am just unlucky – I’ve been through Orlando every month this year on business and I haven’t seen the line setup work yet. I just pick the line with the fewest kids and go from there.

87. afrix says:

@floyderdc: I was in the right line, big boy. The fact that Kroger didn’t care and that the cashier can’t handle her job is not my business. I cared, and let them know I cared.

If the cashier can’t stand the heat, she should get out of the kitchen. Kroger had an obligation to me, but chose to piss ME off instead of the woman who got there first. I’m sure Kroger thinks they’re doing a great job of customer service, but they have an amazing way of sticking their heads up their @sses and ignoring the OTHER people they’re pissing off.

I was in the correct line. I was queueing up correctly, being correct for the social norms. The idiot woman ahead of me didn’t care, and Kroger taught her a lesson: she didn’t have to care, she’d get special treatment.

When Kroger gave special treatment to that shopper and taught that shopper the lesson that she must have deserved that special treatment, and taught me that doing what’s asked of me means I get screwed, I let the whole store know about it.

With both barrels.

The shopper ahead of me was rude in general, and Kroger was rude to me specifically by allowing her to be so rude and thoughtless and “special”. Screw them. It’s not that it’s about me; it was about being polite in society. When the Kroger sign says 15 items or fewer and cash only, it’s polite to pay attention to that and allow other shoppers who have 15 or fewer items and cash to use those lines. Anything else is just plain @sshole rudeness.

88. Dweezil says:

You know, I never thought about this, but what do people do when they have shoes in their carry-on? Take them out and put those in a bin too?

89. Noris159 says:

I’m sure all the old people, backwater families with six kids, and people with three carry-ons will choose the expert line because they think they’re smart and worth something in life, so why would they admit to being worthless when it comes to check in?

I hate check-in. I have slip-on shoes, my belt removed, jacket off, and laptop in a separate tray. Then I watch family on vacation take up 15 minutes as if they didn’t understand what was going to happen when they showed up to the airport. Screening? IDs? Remove metallic objects? I DIDN’T SEE THIS ONE COMING…. =/

90. Jon Mason says:

@afrix: Have had the same thing happen to me at a Walmart – behind a women with a cartful at a 10/15 item checkout, looking noticeably annoyed and frustrated. Came to my turn and the cashier has the balls to say to me “You should have said something to her.” My response: “Isnt that *your* job?” “Oh no, we’re told not to say anything to people…”

91. smarty says:

@Dweezil: You are kidding right? You keep them in your carry-on luggage.

92. humphrmi says:

@Angiol: Um, dude, as I attributed, it was a quote by the late George Carlin, and it was a joke. Take it up with him.

93. @Dead Wrestlers Society:
    This is called “line karma” and I have HORRIBLE line karma. Always. To the point where I tell people behind me that they might want to pick a new line. I would pick special needs just because everyone in front of me would need extra help anyway.

94. sophistiKate says:

@Angiol: Actually, according to my stats textbook, “average” refers to all measures of central tendency, including median, mean, and mode.

95. design_chick says:

I was at LAX a month ago and I saw these signs… but there weren’t different lines for them. They were just posted along the one really long winding line. Yeah.

96. du2vye says:

I wonder how long it will take before they start selling a diamond card for the shorter line.

97. tande says:

Every airport where I’ve seen these they’ve been useless. TSA just pushes people to whatever lane is open blue, green or black.

98. pryan1984 says:

i just saw this at the airport a few days ago. there were three lines at the start, but they all converged to one before you hit the tsa agent.

99. Dansc29625 says:

At busier airports they will have the “3 platinum diamond” line to get the people that need to be in the best line possible but are not “experts.” Id still have my eye on the “casual” to avoid the experts.