Today is the last day to buy a Dell computer with XP instead of Vista. [Consumer Reports]

Comments

1. oldtaku says:

I got my parents in on this this weekend after noticing that. They needed a cheap sturdy laptop that isn’t crippled with Vista, and it would have cost a heck of a lot more to get Vista with ‘downgrade’ rights. Dad doesn’t need another laptop that takes 40 minutes (not seconds) to launch Outlook and randomly breaks stuff.

Of course now his cheap laptop is far more powerful than my once bitchin’ laptop. This cannot stand!

2. AlphaTeam says:

Vista 64-bit is very stable, fast, and good; just turn of UAC and it’s better than XP.

3. Ashground says:

Honestly, I’m happy to see XP gone. Vista’s gotten a really bad (and 99% undeserved) rap, and a lot of people who were sticking with XP on their new computers did so because they were misinformed by other people who hadn’t actually used Vista themselves. There’s so much misinformation out there… Maybe now that people are forced to start using it, we’ll start to see people admit that it’s really not too shabby.

4. Rippleeffect says:

I’ve yet to have any major issues beyond immature drivers on Vista. Have two machines running it currently. My main machine is dual booting XPPro and Vista Home Premium 32bit, and I have a laptop running Ultimate 64bit. 64bit was only complicated because I had some cheap Hawking usb wifi adaptor that never had 64bit drivers made

Ever since I installed vista on the main machine, I’ve yet to go back to XP. Last time I booted that partition up was maybe 8 or 9 months ago. It actually boots faster and has less issues than my XP install did.

5. wesrubix says:

This post is inaccurate. You can still get XP on Dell computers, but you have to pay for a Vista Business license.

6. Yeah, I built my own machine and haven’t had any problems with Vista x64. I just took the time to make sure that my hardware would be compatible with Vista, and– surprise!– no problems. Microsoft’s screw-up was with the overly-permissive “Vista-capable” badging, not with the OS itself.

(And before you write me off as an “M$ whore,” allow me to note that my older machine is now an Ubuntu server.)

7. thejynxed says:

Meh, I still don’t like the idea of more than half of the enabled-by-default services being allowed to phone home to MS and “approved 3rd parties” without my permission.

I’ll stick with XP with the phone-home services disabled, thanks.

8. coren says:

I guess I must be imagining all the problems that Vista causes in a lab environment, or when you want to use your laptop to print somewhere else. I have nightmares about the spooler service :(