Tony Roma Corporate Responds To Shrinking Beer Complaint

Tony Roma corporate sent Alex the following response to his complaint over being sold a 16 oz beer and getting a 14 oz beer instead:

Dear Mr. R:

Thank you for contacting Tony Roma’s Guest Relations. Please accept our apologies for the disappointment you had at Tony Roma’s in San Francisco, CA. Each guest plays an important role in helping us maintain the standards by which we operate and we appreciate your feedback. Your message is being forwarded to the franchise owner/operator and the Director of Franchise Operations for this location. Management would like to discuss your visit and will contact you at the earliest opportunity. Thank you.

Martha Killion
Guest Relations
Romacorp, Inc.

Alex has promised to keep us updated on this developing story. We shall wait and see whether they make things right, or decide to reinvent math.

PREVIOUSLY: Tony Roma’s, Where 16oz = 14oz

(Photo: Rick McCharles)

Comments

1. consumersaur says:

A form letter. Huzzah!

2. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I’m part Italian. I don’t want to eat at any Italian restaurant that says “The management would like to discuss your visit.” Call me crazy.

3. Bladefist says:

Consumerist: I’ve always been 100% satisfied with the seriousness in which you regard beer.

4. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@speedwell: Particularly where the Guest Relations in-charge has a last name like that.

5. GenXCub says:

Romacorp. It sounds so Futurama. The main sign company here in Vegas that makes the big casino signs is Yesco. Every time I drive past it, I say “Yesco, a division of Noco.”

Note: Tony Roma’s did not make any mention of taking things seriously.

6. petrarch1608 says:

yawn…why did i click this article, its basically no news. Any wal-mart nazi t-shirts lately?

7. catcherintheeye says:

@petrarch1608: Funny, I felt the same way reading your comment.

8. evslin says:

@petrarch1608: Attention whores pretend not to care, film at 11

9. Bladefist says:

@petrarch1608: @catcherintheeye:

I found on consumerist site:

“We’re looking for comments that are interesting, substantial, or highly amusing”

1) fail
    2) fail
    3) fail

10. catcherintheeye says:

@Bladefist: You forgot evlsin

11. jusooho says:

@Bladefist: And yet YOUR comment referencing their comments is funny and with interest?

12. Mr_Human says:

@jusooho: For a Republican, Bladefist is very funny. Wait, Dems aren’t that funny, either. Now, the middle-of-roaders — we’re hilarious.

13. DeadlySinz says:

@consumersaur:

Ah form letters, gotta love them.

14. sean77 says:

This is a non story. The menu doesn’t say 16 oz, the online site doesn’t say 16 oz, the manager doesn’t say 16 oz.. the only one who even mentioned 16 oz was *possibly* the waiter who misspoke (this is double hearsay.. some guy says some waiter said it).

Do you also weigh your steaks and complain if they don’t match what they have on their site?

15. @speedwell: Yeah, I’m with you. I’d make sure that Alex bring along a little protection, if ya-know-what-Im-sayin’..

“Tony Roma’s! Where We Make Offers You Can’t Refuse!”

/scandalous stereotyping

16. Concerned_Citizen says:

What are they going to do? Declare they will only give true 16oz glasses when you order a 16oz, or just change the way they pitch it to regular and tall? I am betting on the latter.

17. ludwigk says:

Since they each ordered two beers, the management should get a kid’s meal plastic cup that hold about 6 oz, and give them ‘the rest’ of their respective beers.

@speedwell: I’m guessing that Tony Roma’s is about as italian as Domino’s Pizza. I mean, the name is stereotypical italian, but its a bbq rib joint.

@sean77: No, you would not, because menus indicate that all meat measurements are pre-cooked weights. But you are correct that if Tony Romas recently changed their standard beer size, then their complaint may fall on deaf ears. Or, maybe TonyRomas has been serving a 14 oz beer for years. We’ll just have to see how this unfolds.

18. petrarch1608 says:

@Bladefist:yeah that’s why i keep getting my account revoked. I wasn’t always petrarch1608.

19. petrarch1608 says:

@evslin: just to make it clear, the original post was a good story, and consumerist should follow up on it, but this post didn’t change the story at all. the title made it sound like there was an update when there really wasn’t

20. jbrecken says:

Management would like to contact him. I guess he’ll be heading for a rendezvous with Romacorp.

21. greenpepper says:

So if you order a 16 ounce anything, is it really always 16 ounces? I mean, what happens if they fill the cup with ice?

This is really a non event.

22. SahuaritaSam says:

I’m surprised Tony Roma’s is still around. They closed all their franchises in Tucson and I thought the company went belly up. Oh well.

23. strangeffect says:

They don’t even say if they take this matter seriously or not.

Now I’m not sure what to think.

24. sodden says:

I had something similar happen to me in a restaurant 12 years ago, so it’s not exactly new. Only it was soda, rather than beer. I asked for the 16 oz soda, they gave me a cup for it that would max out on a 12 oz can of soda. Needless to say, I never bought soda from them again.

Considering how much profit there is in drinks, it serves cheating restaurants like Tony’s right to lose drink business over this sort of thing.

25. Antediluvian says:

@sean77: (it’s “double hearsay”)
    No, it’s just “hearsay.”

26. Antediluvian says:

I wonder what happens if you order a “pint”?

If someone near one of these places tries it, please report back!

27. astrochimp says:

My theory is that this is the half-way point in a covert switch to imperial pints.

1 US pint = 0.832 Imperial pints

14oz beer = 0.875 16oz beers

Am I on to something or am I on to something?

28. ironchef says:

“Half Gallon” ice cream is now 1.5 quarts.

29. Techguy1138 says:

@greenpepper:
    What awful place do you live in where they put ice in your beer?

I didn’t know such backwards places still existed on earth.

30. drftjgoj says:

@Techguy1138:

I thought the same thing… I’m pretty sure it’s where the terrorists have already won.

31. Carencey says:

@Bladefist: I happened to hit the site right after Meg and Ben had posted consecutive beer stories, and thought perhaps today we were going with an all beer theme. Alas, no. I do love that “falsies” is now a category though.

32. rjgnyc says:

@Concerned_Citizen: I’m hoping they mail the complaint-giver 2oz of beer. If it counts as a mailable liquid these days. Don’t want to get a ticket.

33. badgeman46 says:

Chances that said franchise owner/operator will respond to said form letter….fat chance in hell!

34. MayorBee says:

@astrochimp: But the 14 oz beer is smaller than the 16 oz US pint, which is smaller than the imperial pint. This wouldn’t be in between the two, it’s a shrink ray.

35. mikemar42 says:

I got food poisoning there once.

36. Juggernaut says:

I thought it was Romo and wanted to throw some Cowboy hate around

37. Weight and Measure board is our best friend.

BUT ….. only if the menu is published with “16oz” as part of the product description.

38. weakdome says:

I hold by my original statement. You can’t compare two glasses and say “one is 16oz and the other 14oz”.
    You CAN say “one has less beer than the other”.
    Unless he somehow had a measuring cup in his pants, or he knew without a doubt that one was indeed the size the waiter (allegedly) claimed it should have been.

39. ColoradoShark says:

@weakdome: What you need is a typical math puzzle.
    *Get three glasses, two that you think are 14 oz and one that you think is 16 oz.
    *Verify the two 14oz are the same by pouring a full one into the other.
    *Fill the 16 oz, pour it into 14oz#1, pour left over into 14oz#2
    *Repeat previous step until 14oz#2 is full
    *If it takes 7 repeats, then you know the size ratio is 6/7.
    *You won’t know the exact size but you’ll have a good idea.

40. tz says:

I’ve submitted something similar before.

Coffee, nearly everywhere. The cups say 24 oz, but will only hold 22. The 20 oz is about 18.

Try it – go to a gas station, dunkin donuts, 7-11, or where they say a “24 oz” coffee, then get a measuring cup…

41. SkyeBlue says:

Well…….actually………maybe……technically….. it IS 16oz of beer ……..before they pour it into the 14oz glass. So….technically………you ARE getting 16z of beer……..just not all at one time.

42. SaveMeJeebus says:

Oooh I know what the next response will be…

Nothing.

The company, like many others, could give a flying shit less about their franchises.

43. mmatg says:

Gibberish….I can’t believe someone didn’t claim Godwins law after 12 min!

44. CaliforniaCajun says:

@Corporate-Shill: only if the menu is published with “16oz” as part of the product description.

A pint’s a pound the whole world round. (Google it.) Last I checked, the U.S. part of the world, and 16oz. = a pint.

45. Solly says:

@weakdome:

You don’t carry around a measuring cup in your pants? Man, you are missing out.

46. I think we all are missing the most important piece of information, and the lynch pin about whether or not we should be blaming the OP:

What kind of beer did he order?

47. jermscentral says:

I had an issue with Tony Roma’s last year where we had absolutely terrible service. I thought it was localized to one franchise, but the one in Nashville at the Opry Mills Mall was ridiculous. For reference, there were about 10 guests in the restaurant at the time. It took 20 minutes to get a server after being seated, 10 minutes to get our drinks (non-alcoholic), 30 minutes to get our food, and another 20 to get the waitress to come back to give us our check. She also never came back for refills or to check on us.

I filled out the online survey, and since their system triggers a “warning” to the corporate folks if you mark a certain number or certain question as being a “negative” experience, they have the local manager e-mail or call you back if you request it. I had the local manager e-mail me (I didn’t really want to hear the standard, “You’re important to us, and we want to make it right,” on the phone), and he sent us gift cards for the total we spent that night. I’d rather have had my money refunded since I didn’t plan on going back there after having the same type of bad service twice at two locations, but I think the gift cards are generic and can be used at any of the mall restaurants.

48. Wormfather says:

Despite the logo and his own thoughts of what he might be, Bladefist is a Libertarian, he just doesnt know it yet.

49. You-Me-Us says:

San Francisco? A city with some of the best restaurants in the country? And you’re eating at a freakin’ Tony Roma’s?

50. surgesilk says:

@Antediluvian
    No it is double hearsay. The Consumerist says, that the OP says, that the waiter said….

51. Zaos says:

Who pays for beer at resturants anyway? $4 beer? Jeez bend over the table and take it from some corporate douchebag who paid $20 for 40 beers. There is such hardcore profit in alcohol in public it is obsurd.

You pay $4.50 for a Corona, single corona which obviously you’re getting ripped off anyway according to this article for lying about how much they put in, and you can get 5x the amount for $1.00 more at the grocery store.

52. avconsumer says:

Form letter. The nerve. Why not just send him a post card with an 800 number full of endless menu’s.

53. theczardictates says:

@sean77: …and yet, for some reason, the restaurant has 14oz glasses with false bottoms to make them look the same size as the 16oz glasses…

54. OsiUmenyiora says:

I have a friend who got his degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management and one of his classes was Beverage Service, or something like that. He had textbooks with charts showing the profit you get from a keg of beer when you serve it in different size glasses and with different sized heads. People actually study this shit in school!

I’m just glad I don’t have to eat in chain restaurants. My general policy is to avoid any establishment that when you order a beer at the bar presents you with a computerized receipt showing the price of the beer plus sales tax. If you eat at places like this immediately seek out your nearest independent eatery.

55. jinxprotocol says:

Same thing happened to me at a place called WOW (World of Wings). I ordered a 12-oz draft beer and then, for a second beer, ordered a Sam Adams in the bottle. When I poured the beer into the mug, there were about two ounces left in the bottle. What a rip-off!

56. S-the-K says:

At least they didn’t say they were “taking it seriously.”