The $26,000 "My Dior" Cellphone

For the idiot who has everything comes the latest in unbridled extravagance: fashion house Christian Dior is set this month to launch of line of luxury cellphones costing a ridiculous amount of money. The phone will come in two versions, a “basic” one for $5,000, and a “Lady Dior” one for $26,000. The latter’s pricetag is justified by 640 stones and 3,251 carats of Swarovski crystals embedded in a crocodile skin sheath. Both models will feature touchscreens, integrated media player, bluetooth, blah blah blah, but they do have one actual innovation. The phone comes with a “My Dior,” a USB key-sized version of the main cellphone that communicates with the mothership cellphone via Bluetooth and clips to the outside of a bag. Christian Dior says this way you don’t have to go digging through your purse to find your phone. We think it would also come in handy if you don’t have time to set up a full security perimeter every time you want to make a call.

Another rendering of the life you will never lead.

Vitals:

• 640 stones of 3251 carats of Swarovski crystals
  • 2.6-inch touch screen with QVGA resolution
  • 2-megapixel camera
  • ringtones (possibly with Dior’s voice himself)
  • USB-sized miniature “My Dior” auxiliary cellphone

New Dior Phone Targets China, Russia [WSJ]
“My Dior” Mobile Phone [Luxist]
Swarovski Dior Phone Inlaid with 640 Crystals, Costs $26,000 [Mobiledia]

Comments

1. PinkBox says:

Yeah… real smart to clip a 26k phone to the outside of your bag.

I guess if you have 26k to splurge on a phone, buying a replacement won’t be a big deal.

2. backbroken says:

Why are you posting this AFTER Father’s Day? I could have used one of these!!

3. The life I will never lead indeed. Who buys this shit? Paris Hilton?

4. Seems to me that for 26 large you could have a phone permanently embedded in your brain that is controlled by thought patterns. You wouldn’t even have to actually speak; just use your inner dialog to communicate with the party on the other end.

5. rmz says:

Those are ugly as sin.

6. SkokieGuy says:

Swarovski crystals? I believe that’s what used to be called rhinestones?

Watch to see this given for free to celebrities in ‘swag bags’ at events and award shows.

The inflated value lets Dior have a huge write off for PR and generates tons of publicity.

Oh and certainly a few oil sheiks will pay retail, perhaps the guy that paid 15 million for a vanity license plate.

7. bigdirty says:

For that price, I’d rather have a Vertu, which at least has some real diamonds for around the same price (> $Ridiculous), I still have a hard time justifying $475 to buy the N95

8. HIV 2 Elway says:

I need to start thawing out my credit cards.

9. welsey says:

I did sort of want that Prada touch phone at one point, but this seems a little ridiculous. Although if you want to be flashy and show off your cash this would be great, even if it does look a little like something you could get at one of those cell-phone kiosks at the mall.

10. Wow … it never ceases to amaze me what companies THINK people will pay for overpriced crap.

Unfortunately I am also continually surprised that people actually pay for these things.

11. AD8BC says:

Do they sell the monthly repair/replacement insurance for these when you purchase the service?

12. laserjobs says:

@rmz: I totally agree. They look like a chinese cigarette case from the dollar store.

13. JessicaJessica says:

I’ll bet Paris Hilton already has one …

14. kepler11 says:

I was thinking about buying this, but found out that the 3G adds $10 per month to the bill, which makes it a little too expensive in the long run.

15. blue_duck says:

@JessicaJessica: The really f***ed up thing is she was probably already GIVEN one.

16. savvy999 says:

@SkokieGuy: yep. Actually, I believe the correct term is “glass”. 3,251 ‘carats’ of glass.

17. primo.avanti says:

the real problem is finding a carrier thats cost effective

18. Crystals have “carats” now? ::rolls eyes::

19. “Lady Dior” one for $26,000.

Anyone seen carrying one of these should be immediately taken out of the gene pool.

20. kaptainkk says:

@TakingItSeriously: So many problems in this world and there are people that will buy crap like this. People are so narcissistic and don’t give a damn about about anything else.

21. I wonder how many permissive parents will take out a second on their houses to buy this overvalued crap for their little Katie Kaboom/Brian Blowup?

22. @kepler11: good one.

23. donkeyjote says:

Ocean’s 13 anyone?

24. Kajj says:

First of all, “Lady Dior” sounds like cheap perfume, and second, who even likes crystals on their cell phones anymore? That whole rhinestone-encrusted fad was like five years ago. If I’m paying $26,000 for something, I’d at least like it to be cool.

25. ARP says:

This is exactly why we need to support McCain’s tax cuts for the wealthy, so they can buy phones like this and help support the trickle down economy.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

26. Trai_Dep says:

Why are the obscenely expensive things like this always so hideous?
    And, “Lady Dior” sounds like a Harlem prostitute.
    And, wanna bet that more Republicans than Dems buy these?

27. Trai_Dep says:

(The last came to me when I thought who would buy one, and could only come up with a Trump and a Hilton – I loves my moderate GOP BFFs!)

28. Trai_Dep says:

So after this article, can we finally lay to rest that the 3G iPhone isn’t so expensive after all? Finally?! People? People?!

29. cheera says:

Replicant phone covers should be rolling in from China in about 2 weeks.

I like Dior, and all, but this is just ugly.

30. Cee Bee says:

people who go out of their way to purchase one of these dior cellphones should be beaten with a double headed dildo and then thrown to the wolves and by wolves i mean a calvin klein “pool party”

31. hellinmyeyes says:

All that cowbell and it still drops calls. Ridiculous crap. Like I said in last week’s iCrap thread, phones should be simple enough to cover basic services, and that’s it. Anything else is a huge waste.

32. etinterrapax says:

And only 2 MP in the camera. For that kind of scratch, I’d expect a full SLR that fits in a credit card case.

33. Laura.Palmer says:

Uh … isn’t the cell phone itself an auxillary phone? So this phone comes with 2 cell phones?! AND YOU CAN HOOK UP A BLUETOOTH TO IT?!

Excess indeed!

34. Laura.Palmer says:

@Steaming Pile: No, of course she doesn’t buy this crap. You forget that Paris Hilton does not pay for this kind of stuff. It’s given to her!

35. This probably makes me a bad person but…WANT.

36. Jbball says:

$26k and only a 2mp camera? Pfft….

37. csdiego says:

If the alternative is using the Benjamins to light a cigar, well, why the hell not.

So remind me again why our bridges are crumbling and the public schools are little better than cattle warehouses?

38. henrygates says:

I’m buying 3!

39. ARP says:

@Our Lady of the Massacre: Yes, yes it does make you a bad person.

@csdiego: Because poor people don’t work hard enough. Rich people do. Poor people are too lazy to get that third job to put their kids in private schools. Now if we cut their tax bill by $150, all would be better. Bridges crumbling is just the free market working itself out. You should know when you go on a bridge, it could collapse. Buyer beware.

40. Laura.Palmer says:

@Our Lady of the Massacre: How about you take $25,000 of that money and enable a third world country to have some POTABLE WATER, and you can spend the remaining $1000 on RENT, FOOD, CLOTHES, BILLS, CHILDREN’S NEEDS, and GAS for the next month?

‘Cause that’s minimum wage, baby.

41. SinisterMatt says:

Ah… Conspicuous Consumption rears its ugly head again. Tsk, tsk.

And when people that can’t afford to buy one of these loses it and faces bankruptcy and foreclosure because of it, is the government going to bail them out? Just wondering.

Cheers!

42. @SinisterMatt:

Well duh, of course the gov’mnt is supposed to bail people out of the financial holes they’ve dug for themselves! Where’ve you been? Under a rock?? ;)

43. Shannon says:

@Steaming Pile: That’s hilarious!!!

44. ARP says:

@BeFrugalNotCheap: Don’t forget to include the major financial institutions that paid their executives millions in bonuses, even when things started to collapse, they’re the ones that really need our help.

45. Shannon says:

My blackberry 8130 is way cooler than that thingy any day anyway ;)

46. Okaasan says:

O-o-o-o-o . . . I wants it, precious. In red, please. And my birthday is next month and I’ve been a good girl and everything!!

47. scgirl_212 says:

You can buy Swarovski crystals (rhinestones) from companies that sell rhinestones for about 12 bucks for a gross. They are really pretty cheap.

48. Pro-Pain says:

Any fool that would buy one of these phones, regardless of accumulated funds, deserves to be shot in the face. PERIOD.

49. backbroken says:

Did you know that Swarovski is Russian for Swarovski?

50. bohemian says:

They do look like a cheap cigarette case from the dollar store. Anyone spending that kind of money on something that ugly really should stop wasting all that oxygen.

If that phone was one of the pics for the free phone with your plan I would refuse it.

51. Why does buying expensive things if you can afford them make you an “idiot?”

52. ConsumptionJunkie says:

I bet the new iphone is way better.

53. thinwhiteduke says:

Get jobs instead of posting on the consumerist in the middle of the day and you could afford phones that cost as much as I presume most of you bring home in a year.

What a bunch of whiners.

54. Benny Gesserit says:

As my sainted mother used to say: More money than brains.

55. rmz says:

@Trai_Dep: “And, wanna bet that more Republicans than Dems buy these?”

What the hell are you talking about?

56. Pro-Pain says:

@The Count of Monte Fisto: Because I said so, that’s why! Any other questions jr.??

57. Ein2015 says:

Looks ugly!

58. god_forbids says:

@Trai_Dep: Sorry to disappoint you, but all of your Hollywood elites are liberal crackpots. Republicans spend their money on prostitutes. For once, both parties can buy a product with the same name!

59. KarmaChameleon says:

All these comments and no one makes a GTAIV joke?

I am so buying one of these and putting a VIP luxury ringtone on it. And then being profiled on I’m Rich.

60. TechnoDestructo says:

Swarovski crystals – Got a mundane product you want to make into THE MOST EXPENSIVE IN THE WORLD, just glue a bunch of these to it. It’s much cheaper than actually engineering the shit out of the product to make it THE BEST IN THE WORLD as well.

61. Mudpuddle says:

Its like buying a expensive phone to show the world how stupid you are. Priceless!

62. Mudpuddle says:

Its like buying one of these to show the world how stupid you are. Priceless!