Winco Frozen Fish: The Big U.S. Flag Tells You It's Made In China!

A reader in Redding, California was shopping at the local Winco and saw this ultra-patriotic bag of frozen tilapia—if it were any prouder to be an American it would have to start singing country music. But when glugory turned the bag over, the phrase “Product of China” was stamped across the bottom. “So now these bastards are lulling you into a false sense of patriotism in order to sell their commie fish,” writes glugory. That might be overstating it a bit, but we’re fans of overstating things here at Consumerist, so… yeah! Damned commie fish! Remember: never trust packaging. It’s just marketing you can hold.

(Thanks to glugory!)

Comments

1. RedSonSuperDave says:

[www.usflag.org]

Obviously that’s Commie fish if the company doesn’t know that the flag is not supposed to be used for any kind of advertising, or on any product which is meant to be thrown away.

Ocean Park needs to go back to the Cub Scouts.

2. tedyc03 says:

@RedSonSuperDave: Sadly disrespect for the flag is both common and disgusting, IMO.

Yesterday was Flag Day, too!

3. Trai_Dep says:

Almost as good as the Right’s panties being tangled up in a bunch because a Prez candidate doesn’t wear a US flag pin on their lapel… That’s made in China.
    Sigh. Stoopid Ammerikans.

4. Trai_Dep says:

Waittasec: do I see bosoms on that package? Cleavage?!

5. JennQPublic says:

Communism is just a red herring!

6. petrarch1608 says:

i like winco. its much cheaper than safeway or fred-meyers

7. ? Final ? says:

seeing as most US flags and lapel buttons are made in China it’s not surprising.

I checked the frozen fish my wife likes because you just bake it’s a US product but has no American flag on it… ironic.

8. Concerned_Citizen says:

This is basically the same thing as labeling something as made in america if it was made in china. So what kind of punishments are there when this happens.

9. uberbucket says:

What could be more American than buying yet another “partrio-flagified” product made in China?

WinCo still pwns Safeway, Albertson’s, Fred Meyer et al on prices any day.

La mamma dei cretini è sempre incinta.

10. Lame.

Also, FOOD from CHINA? These freaks allow poison in half their non-food exports. Knowing this, who in their right mind would EVER allow food raised in China in their house?

11. Eldritch says:

No offense, but having a huge flag plastered on something makes me want to buy it LESS.

12. azntg says:

It seems like a pretty common occurance. Today at my local Pathmark, my younger brother brought a plush football shaped toy to me.

On the label, there’s a huge, conspicuous American flag with the caption saying: “A Proud American Company.” Directly underneath it, in tiny print (maybe 6px or so): “Made in China.”

Yes Indeed.

13. AgentTuttle says:

This 4th of July be on the look out for decorations, etc made in the USA. Good luck.

14. Dobernala says:

@dgp: That is a bit of an exaggeration.

15. bohemian says:

At least the frozen salmon at Hyvee is blatant about the fact that it is a Chinese product. It has both Chinese and Latin font labels on the front. It is also $3.99 a pound and they have been trying to unload the same truckload of this salmon by moving it to various store locations around town. Maybe they should slap some flag stickers on the front to move it out the doors.

16. Schlake says:

I buy my saffron from Iran. The last time I got an order it came in a very patriotic tin with an American flag on it. I’m still quite tickled by the flag.

17. buyer5 says:

@Eldritch: I came here to say just that.

18. primo.avanti says:

has no one mentioned the number of stars on that flag yet? i cant get 50 on there but that glare…

19. ChuckECheese says:

@Trai_Dep: Those aren’t busoms. Clearly you don’t know your fish.

20. ChuckECheese says:

@dgp: Chill out. Tilapia is raised in China’s finest bathtubs and flocculation tanks.

21. ChuckECheese says:

@Schlake: I buy my tilapia from Biosphere-2. They raise it in their ponds. They have a fit every time they have to break the airlock so I can pick up my order, but I’m convinced the quality is better than Chinese.

22. Difdi says:

I bought this little party widget that shoots confetti. Prominent on the packaging is an American flag. Beneath the flag is bold text proclaiming “Product of the USA”. Beneath the bold text in very fine print is “Made in China”. So it’s not just fish.

23. timmus says:

I should start an operation here in my house producing Chinese flags, with the obligatory Made In The USA tags sewn on. The irony would be so worth it. I could then pimp them out with some faxes to Carrefour and Wal-Mart in Shanghai.

24. humorbot says:

@dgp: Right now on consumerist.cn some equally xenophobic commenter is aghast that anyone would eat American. What with salmonella on the tomatoes, e.coli in the spinach, mad cow in the beef, GM crops in virtually every packaged food product on the market shelf…

25. Jesse in Japan says:

The fireworks you set off on the Fourth of July are made in China, too.

26. ideagirl says:

Winco is gross. DO NOT buy meat or produce there. I regularly see moldy/rotten produce in the store. A few years ago, they had to pull all their beef because the suppliers cows had been exposed to mad cow. Yummy, no??

27. NZMike says:

My personal favourite is a sock drawer organizer. On the back of the box was Old Glory and written underneath the flag was “Proudly Made For the USA”

28. MikeGrenade says:

@humorbot: Do you think food from China is safer? The Chinese can’t seem to keep lead and industrial chemicals out of anything. Add that on top of typical biological problems like disease.

29. theysaidwhat says:

I bought some new pet treats the other day that appeared to have been locally made with holistic ingredients. Then when I got home and inspected the bag, I found that they were actually a ‘product of China’. After last year’s pet food problems with Chinese glutens and melamine contamination, I would never buy anything edible for human or pet from China. So into the trash those expensive treats went.

30. theysaidwhat says:

And for everyone who will ask, why didn’t I return them–because it was my mistake. The store didn’t do anything to mislead me. I just didn’t read the bag closely enough. I will be having a little talk with the store manager, however, about carrying any pet edibles from CHINA after last year’s devastating contamination deaths.

31. UnicornMaster says:

Remember: never trust packaging. It’s just marketing you can hold.

Ironically it’s the packaging that reads “PRODUCT OF CHINA”.

32. Angryrider says:

Not surprised. Our “patriotic” items are made in other countries because apparently we won’t make ‘em here. Our pothole covers are made in India, as most of the cost would be to ship them here. And our $200 sneakers, that we wear with so much pride, are made by slave children.

33. MeOhMy says:

The worst part: That’s not tilapia in the bag…it’s a RED HERRING!

34. reznicek111 says:

So, which is better: devouring tasty commie fish, or allowing them swim on and poison the minds of impressionable young fry around the globe?

{/snark}

35. HeartBurnKid says:

@Angryrider: “Our “patriotic” items are made in other countries because apparently we won’t make ‘em here…” for slave wages in sweatshop conditions.

Fixed that for you.

There’s no jobs that American’s “won’t” do. There’s only jobs that American companies don’t want to pay their workers properly for.