Wal-Mart Employee Stabs Customer

Wal-Mart employee, Ray Canales, age 18, has been arrested for allegedly stabbing a teenage customer inside the store, according to KPRC. The altercation started at about 10:15pm Wednesday night at the Wal-Mart in Pearland, TX. More, inside….

The article says,

Investigators said a 16-year-old male customer got into an argument with the employee over a girl. The teen got upset and punched the employee, detectives said. The employee, 18-year-old Ray Canales, became enraged, pulled out a pocketknife and allegedly stabbed the customer five times about the upper back and face.

The victim was taken by helicopter to Memorial Hermann Hospital in serious but stable condition.

Canales was arrested and faces charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. If convicted, Canales could face two to 20 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000.

Hopefully, Wal-Mart enacts a “no-stabbing” policy for its employees.

Wal-Mart Employee Accused Of Stabbing Customer
[KPRC] (Thanks to Melinda!)

Comments

1. AstroPig7 says:

But are they taking the matter seriously?

Jokes aside, I remember when fighting over a girl meant fisticuffs at worst. Maybe I just grew up in a different area.

2. nataku8_e30 says:

Houston area Walmarts are getting a great reputation lately…

3. 67alecto says:

They should have just shown their receipt.

4. ratnerstar says:

Wal-Mart: come for the low prices, stay for the brutal employee stabbings!

5. Wormfather says:

The crazy chick was trying to pass off a fake money order. Money orders is srys bsns at Wal-Mart.

6. cef21 says:

Walmart employs enough people that this is bound to happen from time-to-time. Call me when it happens more frequently at Walmart than it does generally in retail.

7. BlondeGrlz says:

See???? That’s what you get for shopping at Wal-mart!

Totally joking.

8. rbaldwin says:

Was this individual a customer or was this a romantic dispute?

9. I guess the girl no longer has to choose between the two men.

10. Kat@Work says:

OK, so I won’t be going to Wal-Mart around here anytime soon I guess. Geez.

Honestly, WTF. Who packs weapons on the job? Or did the guy just casually take the argument over to the kitchen implements section?

11. @BlondeGrlz: I was going to go with, “His first mistake was living in Texas.”

Oh no I didn’t!

(I kid, I kid. Texas is lovely!)

12. HIV 2 Elway says:

@Kat@Work: It doesn’t say anythign about the length of the blade. This could be a small Swiss Army type pocket knife.

13. Bye says:

“And you thought you could stab your problems away?”
    –Betty White

14. Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg says:

@Kat@Work: Honestly, WTF. Who packs weapons on the job?

“Packs weapons”? I’ve been carrying a pocketknife of one sort or another on my person pretty much every day for the past twenty five years. Including at the office. The only time I don’t carry it is when I’m going into a courthouse or airport, and the latter is a relatively new change for me.

A pocketknife, while it certainly can be used as a weapon, is a useful and handy tool. I think there are far too many people who immediately respond with the same kind of thinking you did here: equating carrying a pocketknife with “packing a weapon”. It’s that kind of thinking that leads to the utterly asinine zero-tolerance horror stories we frequently see about children be arrested on felony weapons charges for having a butter knife in their lunchbox or on the seat of their car.

Also, on an unrelated note, is anyone in charge around here going to at least offer an explanation of what the hell is going on with the comments on this site?

15. mike says:

I was told a while back that I couldn’t carry concealed in my walmart. This is making me think I should do it anyway.

16. donopolis says:

He should have used a credit card…

Don

17. pda_tech_guy says:

Why the F#*k would you ever want to fight over a girl? (sorry ladies) but If I ever have to fight for you to choose me over some other guy, your not worth it.

Aside fromt that, this is crazy. Im amazed they arent sentencing him to execution, since its texas.

18. The victim probably could have gotten to the hospital sooner, but the greeters had to check his receipt.

19. sir_pantsalot says:

@Kat@Work: I also carry a pocket knife all the time and I work in a 9-5 office environment. It’s just a pocket knife and a lot of people carry them. My seven year old daughter and 6 year old son even have those little swiss army knives with the scissors, but I dont allow them to carry it everywhere they go.

You cant just equate knife with weapon.

20. Rajio says:

I just realized my workplace has no no-stabbing policy in effect. This is going to be a fun friday.

21. Juggernaut says:

Definitely the customers fault!

22. Kat@Work says:

@sir_pantsalot, @TinyBug, @HIV 2 Elway:

OK, while you 3 may not use pocketknives for stabbing rival boyfriends, obviously this guy did… hello?

It was used as a weapon here. Geez.

23. GearheadGeek says:

@pda_tech_guy: It does not meet the standard for capital murder, even in TX:

from [www.tdcj.state.tx.us]

The following crimes are Capital Murder in Texas:

* murder of a public safety officer or firefighter;
    * murder during the commission of kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson, or obstruction or retaliation;
    * murder for remuneration;
    * murder during prison escape;
    * murder of a correctional employee;
    * murder by a state prison inmate who is serving a life sentence for any of five offenses (murder, capital murder, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault, or aggravated robbery);
    * multiple murders;
    * murder of an individual under six years of age.

24. RChris173 says:

While he was defensive, it was too far…if someone had punched me, it is only normal to react with a blow back…but stabbing to death…

25. GearheadGeek says:

@GearheadGeek: I should’ve said “Even if the victim dies, it doesn’t meet the standard for capital murder.”

26. dragonfire81 says:

Could the victim sue wal-mart for anything?

27. GearheadGeek says:

@Kat@Work: That still doesn’t justify the automatic categorization of every pocket knife as a weapon. Half a beer bottle can be used as a weapon, carrying a 6-pack of bottles doesn’t make me armed and dangerous.

28. Wal-Mart: Watch out for falling prices! Also, death!

29. Kat@Work says:

LOL, OK enough.

Everyone in here that thinks I’m trying to get your pocketknives taken away – STOP. You’re taking my comments out of context. (The original context was HUMOR for those of you who didn’t know.)

My WHOLE point is that this complete and total moron took his pocketknife and stabbed a guy repeatedly. Whatever he injured that guy with is now a weapon.

Quit trying to attack me and twist my comments to make it like I am pro zero tolerance. I am not.

While a pocketknife may not be a weapon in your hands, it was in this guy’s. If he had picked a shampoo bottle off the shelf and beat this crap out of the guy with it, that shampoo bottle is now a weapon.

BAN SHAMPOO!! (That was a JOKE for those of you with no sense of humor.)

30. DashTheHand says:

I’m almost positive there are details missing, but since he was struck first, why was it not considered self defense?

31. MissPeacock says:

@TinyBug: Jezebel says they are working on it:

Link

32. crabbyman6 says:

Maybe he was busy slashing prices and didn’t see him standing there, I mean, accidents happen.

33. Wormfather says:

@TinyBug: Welcome to the internets where everyone lets out there Samuel Jackson alter ego.

34. Juggernaut says:

If they had the TSA GGS (Graphic Genitalia Screener) this would never have happened…

35. GrandizerGo says:

@DashTheHand: Hmmm, isn’t there something about graduated responses?
    If you get punched, you aren’t immediately allowed to drop a nuke on the city to get him…

36. donopolis says:

@DashTheHand:
    Because he did not respond in kind(ie fisticuffs)which could have been defended if he had not then repeatedly stabbed his victim instead of stabbing or slashing and then getting the hell away.

self defense can quickly cross the line into assault.

D-

37. wilstanton says:

@Kat@Work: @Kat@Work:

Hear! Hear! Ban Shampoo! Henceforth, only use REAL POO!

38. Crymson_77 says:

This is just another reason not to visit Houston…started with the weather and now it has extended to shopping!

39. Whitey Fisk says:

Good thing they weren’t at Hoffritz.

40. Kat@Work says:

@Crymson_77: I’m from Houston and I have to agree. LOL. I have no idea why anyone would want to come here.

41. AustinTXProgrammer says:

@Kat@Work:
    Why not carry a weapon? I carry a pocket knife as a tool, and a handgun as a weapon.

When taking my class for the concealed handgun license the instructor asked “Who will carry their weapon at all times unless prohibited by statute?”. Not one of us answered yes. After a whole bunch of questions asking us when and where we will carry (I just wanted the license so I “Could”), he convinced at least me that the only answer was “at all times unless prohibited by statute”. That includes work (some offices will fire you over it, mine won’t, but that still isn’t prohibited by statute).

Would you want to tell the jury anything else if you ever had to use your weapon?

I have no idea how the argument went down. It sounds like the stabbing victim threw the first punch, so it may come down to self defense (but with a romantic dispute, I doubt it).

42. Burgandy says:

@pda_tech_guy: The amazing thing is that we just had our first execution of the year a few days ago. Waaaay behind our normal.

43. MyPetFly says:

[URL=http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/6/13/f_facem_bae0410.gif&srv=img27][IMG][img27.picoodle.com]][/URL]

[url=http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/6/13/f_facem_bae0410.gif&srv=img27][img=http://img27.picoodle.com/img/img27/4/6/13/f_facem_bae0410.gif][/url]

44. tc4b says:

@loquaciousmusic:

That’s totally unfair! He didn’t actually KILL they guy.

45. Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg says:

@Kat@Work: Everyone in here that thinks I’m trying to get your pocketknives taken away -

They’ll get my pocketknife when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

The original context was HUMOR

oh, ok. Sorry for any over-reaction. It actually is kinda funny, now that I know it was meant that way. Unfortunately there are some subjects where the humor of a smart person is indistinguishable from actual beliefs of a, shall we say, less than smart person.

Whoa, there Nelly! Don’t go overreacting to our overreactions, now. I didn’t twist your words or even remotely imply you were pro zero tolerance. I just pointed out that that kind of thinking (if serious, which we now know it wasn’t in this case) is the kind of thinking that leads to ZT nonsense.

And since this thread is rapidly approaching the 100 comment limit, it’s time to move on… Peace

46. kaizoku80 says:

@Kat@Work:

“Weapons”? It was a pocket knife for crying out loud.

47. DeafChick says:

@LoBalSuai: LOL. You know you’re wrong for that!

48. Kat@Work says:

@kaizoku80: You’re late to the party.

49. Kat@Work says:

@TinyBug: Truce man. :) Thanks for taking the time to read my explanation.

50. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

@Kat@Work:

You should really work on the whole humor thing. You aren’t very good at it.

51. lalaland13 says:

That’ll teach em to try and buy more than one Wii at a time.

Or maybe they were arguing over how to pronounce Pearland. (It’s Pear-land, I think).

But a girl? Pfft.

52. RothRandom says:

I’m guessing that Wal-Mart had a “no guns policy” up?

Guys fight over girls with guns nowadays.

53. Stupid people doing stupid things over a girl.

The fact this took place in WallyWorld should not be the focus of the story. Remove WallyWorld from the article and this discussion would not even be on The Consumerist.

Non-story. Move on.

54. @Rajio: I originally read that as a “no-no-stabbing policy” and thought you meant a policy that forbids the absence of stabbing.

I probably shouldn’t have stayed up until 1 last night playing Super Mario: Lost Levels.

55. Kat@Work says:

@Jaysyn: Thanks for the tip. I’ll put that on my ‘never to-do list’.

56. EdnaLegume says:

*imagines pencils now being classified as weapons… and keys, and pens, and forks, and the sharp pointy corners on the bottom of toothpaste, and most packages of kids toys…. *

have you every opened a toy and NOT been cut? I bleed every time.

57. RedSonSuperDave says:

I’d like to point out that many Wal-Mart employees are REQUIRED to carry box cutters. If you work there in any capacity other than as a cashier, it’s likely that Wal-Mart has provided you with a box cutter.

Strangely enough, it’s against Wal-Mart policy to carry any other cutting instrument. Wal-Mart employees are not allowed to carry pocketknives or even boxcutters that weren’t provided by their workplace.

58. Meisterjager says:

@TinyBug: I think the child would get arrested for driving a car before they get busted for having a butter knife on their car seat ;o)

59. drjayphd says:

See, none of this would’ve happened if he showed his receipt…
    I just wanna know if Wal-Mart’s taking it seriously…
    That’s what he gets for working/shopping at Wal-Mart…

Ah crap guys, all you’ve left me with is “but will he blend?” (hmph)

60. drjayphd says:

@RedSonSuperDave: One girl I used to date worked at about eight different FYE’s/Coconuts’s (Coconutii?) (they kept shipping her off to different stores) and ended up losing one of the company-furnished box cutters in her bag. Somehow, it ended up between the lining and outer shell. Good thing she wasn’t planning on taking that bag onto any planes… :P

61. drjayphd says:

@drjayphd: Yeah, it’d help if you’d made sure that you could use the strikethrough tag…

62. cosby says:

@Kat@Work: “Honestly, WTF. Who packs weapons on the job?”

This really doesn’t come off as humor but I’ll refrain from the comments about carrying a knife(I carry one everyday).

I really don’t like how the news reported this. We are missing most of this story. Did these 2 know each other and fight over the girl or was the employee just hitting on her which led to the fight. Also did the guy just hit him or was he really trying to fight him when the guy pulled the knife? I mean people can throw a punch in anger and back off or they can then try to continue to fight you. It does make a difference. If they guy is trying to fight the employee and he uses the weapon in defence him stabing him might not be as bad. Is he in the wrong? Chances are yes but with so much information missing it is hard to tell.

An example of what I’m talking about would be you shooting an attacker with a gun. One shot might do it but a lot of people will empty the mag. Once then get in the zone for lack of better words they will pretty much go into defensive mode and not stop untill they get pulled off someone or they run out of energy or bullets.

63. Channing says:

If you show up at my work place while I’m working to punch me in the face over a girl you should be prepared for a face stabbing. =|

64. cst says:

I wonder.. do they do any employment pre-screening?
    Well, with salaries they pay, the pool of potential employees is bound to include guys like this…

65. SayAhh says:

@67alecto: first thing that came to mind, too. Wow, Wal-Mart sure stabs…err, I mean sucks.

66. Meathamper says:

Screw it. Fellas, go to Costco.

67. ShadowFalls says:

@cosby:
    Completely agree. They fail to provide much information at all on this. If someone was hitting on my woman I wouldn’t take it too kindly. But the interesting part is how he was stabbed in the back.

Since he used excessive force and stabbed multiple times, he is likely to see an attempted murder charge stick. I doubt he could get a job at even Walmart anymore.

68. Vanguarde says:

Has Homeland Security checked his immigration status yet? He looks Mexican.

( I kid, I kid )

( Sadly they probably have)

69. obviously you haven’t read my Big Book o’ Reasons not to shop at Walmart – see Reason #499

70. mrearly2 says:

Probably an illegal alien, hired by Wal-Mart, for their excellent customer service.