Crocs + Escalator = Yet Another Mangled Foot

Another small child’s foot has been mangled by the combination of the especially-grippy Crocs clogs and a moving escalator, according to WSBTV:

“There’s no reason this should have happened to my daughter,” said Alison Pregliasco, Lexi’s mother. “She was holding onto the rail…I heard her screaming and tried to pull her foot out and it wouldn’t come out and the escalator just kept going down. And, I just started screaming at the top of my lungs, ‘Somebody stop this thing, somebody stop this thing. We have to make it stop.'”

Pregliasco said it took 15 minutes to get her daughter’s right foot out of the escalator. EMTs took the child to the hospital, where doctors put pins in her foot and performed surgery to clean bones and remove contaminated skin.

“Three broken toes, two pretty severely broken, the other is just a hairline fracture,” said Pregliasco. “The toe was severed down to the bone and they called it a ‘dirty wound’ because they had escalator grease in there.”

Crocs is currently being sued over a similar incident. The company responded to that lawsuit by saying that they “take escalator safety seriously.”

The CPSC recently issued a warning about “some shoes” causing more risk of entrapment on escalators than others, but were careful not to specify which brand of shoes they were talking about.

CPSC is aware of 77 entrapment incidents since January 2006, with about half resulting in injury. All but two of the incidents involved popular soft-sided flexible clogs and slides.

Girl, 3, Injured On Airport Escalator
[WSBTV](Thanks, Ryan!)

Comments

1. akede2001 says:

Let me be the first today:

It’s the girl’s fault for wearing those type of shoes in an unsafe situation. Where is the consumer responsibility here?

2. Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don’t hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent – I don’t care which one – but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator.

3. The Great Aussie Evil says:

Wearing those shoes otta be a federal offense.

4. akede2001 says:

@full.tang.halo: Nice extraction from [consumerist.com] there.

5. womynist says:

6. zero_o says:

I just don’t understand, my mom ALWAYS made me hop at the end of the escalator to avoid the, in her words “very dangerous” end of the escalator. BTW A friend of a friend got her foot stuck in a escalator (she was wearing flip flops) but she was drunk

7. womynist says:

I meant w-e-a-r-i-n-g

8. anarcurt says:

Someone’s gonna win a Darwin Award, just wait. Stupid People/Parents + Stupid Shoes = Stupid Things Happening. I hate blaming the OP but seriously, have some personal resposibility.

9. SahuaritaSam says:

I wasn’t going to put a sarcastic comment…but okay…

10. APFPilot says:

@akede2001: I don’t know if you were serious or not, and I hate to blame the consumer, but it’s no secret that Crocs and esclators don’t mix. If you let the kid wear the shoes then pick them up on the escalator or take the elevator.

11. Hogan1 says:

You can’t make the entire world safe from people’s ignorance, stupidity, and lack of attention. Parent’s should have been paying attention.

12. KarmaChameleon says:

God’s punishment for wearing Crocs.

13. Imakeholesinu says:

@zero_o:

Ignorance is bliss…and the reason for the lack of common sense and most lawsuits.

14. @akede2001: or the fact I completed the quote on [consumerist.com]
    too and just happened to get it in again 1st here. Move along troll, no food for you here.

15. MissTicklebritches says:

Parents should watch their children carefully on escalators no matter what kind of shoes they’re wearing!

16. Kevino says:

Hmm, I knew what the escalator “could” do to me since my parents taught me. I am wondering if teaching is more like punishment now days.

I feel really bad for the kid, but the parent should be watching their kid. Especially since they have signs about the dangers of the escalator right next to it. Most bother not to read it though, since you know, it doesn’t pertain to them.

17. Drowner says:

@full.tang.halo: HA!

I’m still siding with Crocs here. Japan asks them to change their shoes and they say fuck off. They get a gold star in my book.

18. Breach says:

That is karma from the universe for letting any one (even your spawn) wear those ugly, ugly shoes.

19. akede2001 says:

@full.tang.halo: Really couldn’t care less about getting a quote in.

But let’s not lose sight of the real issue here. The girl needs to accept some personal responsibility for letting herself get injured. It’s rather upsetting that people seem to think the parent should be responsible for everything. The kid is old enough to know what shoes are and how to interact with moving objects.

If anything, the mall should sue the girl and her family for causing such a scene. They could very well be losing a lot of business just because some little kid comes in and decides to be an attention whore.

20. anarcurt says:

@akede2001:YES!!!!

21. heypal says:

@akede2001: sarcasm is okay. I can’t tell, though, if your comment has any. either way you’re just too close to being out of line. kids’ injuries are never, ever funny.

22. When this first started occurring, I read several places that said the rate of incident with Crocs was roughly the same as with all sandals, especially flip-flops. Sounds like just an easy way to blame the trendy shoes…

23. Rachacha says:

In a recent press release from Crocs:

“We have thoroughly examined our product, and found no problems” said a Croc representative “The problem appears to lie with the movable ground that consumers are so insistent in using. Escalators and moving sidewalks are inherently dangerous products, does anyone not remember the closing sequence from the futuristic television series “The Jetsons” when George would take astro out on the moving sidewalk for a walk and his entire body would become entrapped? Escalators and moving sidewalks were dangerous in the past, they are dangerous today, and based on the Jetsons, they will still be dangerous in the future. Escalator manufacturers need to design a safer system and perhaps removing the “moving” aspects of these components would be a step in the right direction”

***Disclamer – the above quotations are fictional and were not released by Crocs or its representatives (yet). If Crocs would like to hire me as their crisis communications consultant, I can state the above with a straight face :-)

24. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Escalators have emergency stop buttons at both ends but I imagine the mother was too panicked to look for it though.

Unless things have changed since the last time I’ve gotten on one there are also signs telling you to step over the part where the moving stairs meet the floor.

“Right now, I just want my daughter to get better and I want other parents to know this is going on and the airport’s not warning people,” she said.

If anybody should be warning people it should be the people who make Crocs. It’s not like the escalator is defective or somthing.

25. Rajio says:

Nope. Sorry. Still not Croc’s fault.

26. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@heypal: It’s definitely a goof on the classic Consumerist ‘blame the victim’ comment.

@Rachacha: They need to hire you NOW.

27. fostina1 says:

bullshit, its not crocs fault. escalaters should be built for all types of footwear.

28. RothRandom says:

@akede2001: Don’t blame the kid. The kid is just a kid. Blame the parents if you’re going to play the blame game.

But shouldn’t you really be blaming someone for not putting up warnings on the Crocs and the whole Crocs + escalators = loss of toes?

29. Fawkes says:

@full.tang.halo: I knew I wouldn’t have to go far to find that reference, nice!

30. MountainCop says:

Another example of why some people are too damn stupid to be parents.

31. The Porkchop Express says:

How many times does this happen before people learn to tell the kids to be careful on those things

32. wgrune says:

So if someone’s untied shoelace got sucked into the escalator who would get sued? The shoelace manufacturer?

33. How about we just go back to stairs and elevators? Subways get an exemption.

34. RothRandom says:

@wgrune: It’s kind of odd. Really, people should be keeping an eye on shoelaces. You kind of make sure that your shoelace doesn’t get caught.
    The thing about Crocs is if you look at the shoe, you wouldn’t expect it to get caught in something as big as an escalator. So how could a Croc that looks like a shoe safe for kids, be a risk to lose a body part?

35. PanicBag says:

@Breach I’m not sure if you’re trying to be funny (if so, you fail), but a little girl’s foot was badly maimed here. I find it offensive that you would suggest she deserved it for her bad fashion sense. Have a little empathy.

Lawsuits over this kind of thing do nothing but add to the litigious nature of our society and cause manufacturers to come up with ridiculous warning tags to cover their asses. Should the parent have been watching closer? Probably, but sometimes tragic things just happen and no one is at fault.

36. karmaghost says:

A lot of people are hurt on escalators every year (the exact figure? I don’t have it) wearing all kinds of shoes. This is only making news because the kid was wearing Crocs. I’m not a Croc-lover, nor am I against them, but I think that’s why this is getting press.

37. texasannie says:

Akede2001 clearly isn’t familiar with the knowledge and reasoning capacity of a three-year-old.

I don’t see why some kind of safety guard can’t be installed on escalators. Like others have pointed out, it’s not just one type of shoe that poses a risk, it’s a good portion of the shoes people wear every day. I’m not an escalator engineer, but it seems like there could be some small, flat barrier that helps prevent anything from getting sucked into the crack, and maybe a sensor that can tell if a foreign object has entered that area so the escalator can shut off automatically.

38. akede2001 says:

@RothRandom: Initially I started out just trolling out of sheer bordom..

But about your comment, no, I don’t think we should have warning signs about it. Just as people shouldn’t need a billion warning signs on the door of their car about how it can be dangerous to get in the vehicle, and ways to prevent any such injuries. Just how we don’t need to put warnings on our food about how they may present choking hazards.

And as it is, what would nearly every parent do if they even bothered to read the sign? I don’t think they’d stop to have their kids remove their shoes. While this instance and injury is indeed the parents fault for failing to teach her child about the dangers of automatic stairs– she also failed to keep an eye on her to make sure she was getting off properly.

It doesn’t matter if you’re wearing shoes or not, or what kind you’re wearing. The risk is the same. The parent was likely within two feet of the emergency stop. Instead of using it, she yelled for others to do it and tried to pull her kid out of the escalator. It sounds to me like the parent doesn’t even understand the risks involved, which is our root problem. Stupid people. This has all sorts of fail on it, and I believe the parent is at fault.

An escalator is a mechanical. It does the same thing all the time while it’s on. More than 99% of people have no problem. Considering that only one person was hurt who does not understand how to use it (hence parental guardian), then the machine was reinstated without a redesign or anything– that there was nothing wrong with it, and this is an issue of misuse.

39. @Rectilinear Propagation:

Absolutely correct.

Yo, stupid moms and even stupider people standing around watching. Try the panic button next time to stop the escalator or moving sidewalks. There is a reason the button is located at both ends of the escalator.

40. Here_we_go says:

Maybe I have been living under a rock but this is the first time I have heard anything about Crocs being bad about sticking (or whatever) to escalators.

It’s irrelevant anyway seeings as how I pic my children up on those toe cutter offers.

41. donopolis says:

She should have used a credit card…then they wouldn’t have charged 1/2 toe interest.

D-

42. hexychick says:

I still don’t get how the shoe is the issue here. If your kid is too stupid to lift their feet, then pick them up! The escalator has a warning to watch your step. The shoes are shoes!!!

When I was 5, I wasn’t paying attention at the end of an escalator ride and didn’t move my foot so my flat laceless shoe got stuck. My mom, being a watchful parent, picked me up very quickly, but the back of the escalator step scraped the back of my heel and took the shoe with it. After lifting me up, my mom yelled at me for not moving my feet and paying attention. From that day forward, I watched my foot every single time I got on one. Shoe was destroyed, escalator kept running, and I learned my lesson.

43. wring says:

@KarmaChameleon: lol trufax

44. helloashley says:

I’ve seen Crocs before and I’m honestly confused about how people are more prone to escalator accidents when wearing these shoes.

45. Jabberkaty says:

@full.tang.halo:
    hexychick

I’m still scared of ‘em and will jump off well in advance… This is just more proof that the green light wants to be fed. Mum told me it would eat me. *shudders*

My toes feel so funny….

46. If you think about it, Escalators are pretty freakin’ scary and dangerous, period. Kids get hurt on them all the time, and when you add in the Crocs, it just gets worse.

Keep an eye on your kids – they don’t come out of the womb ready to survive like they used to!

47. donopolis says:

They’re not…but crocs are more prone to get covered in the news…after getting caught…

there’s a step at the end folks…you’re not supposed to just try and slide off, pick up your feet.

It’s like blaming the mall for having a curb that you tripped over.

Don

48. ironchef says:

Mother should share the blame too.

49. djhopscotch says:

50. ppiddyp says:

Sorry, but this is _clearly_ a problem with escalators. No moving object should be built so that it can EAT A HUMAN’S FOOD. Elevators have all sorts of automatic interrupt switches. Even industrial machines have interlocks all over creation.

The engineer in me wonders why there isn’t some sort of automatic kill switch that detects foreign objects getting into the teeth of the escalator, in addition to better guards to prevent stuff from getting in there in the first place. Thinking of the cross section of an elevator’s end, it seems like there could be a photobeam detector just under the teeth that watches for any foreign matter, or something along those lines. Hell, they’re making table saws now that can shut down in an instant if a finger comes in contact with them.

51. Shappie says:

I still don’t understand how they get stuck when regular shoes don’t…

52. ppiddyp says:

P.S. I can’t even believe people would blame the mother or child or the shoes. Equipment that people use in department stores and airports should not be capable of taking off a foot under ANY circumstance. This is kind of the equivalent of having an open pits full of snakes with no guardrails and a small warning sign reading “don’t go in the pit of snakes”.

Everyone’s attention slips from time to time, which is why dangerous equipment should always have MULTIPLE fail-safes.

53. FLConsumer says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: Emergency stop buttons are present on all escalators, but the requirements for their location vary widely between U.S. and European standards. In Europe they’re required to be up on top where people can see them and many countries require several to be placed along the length of the escalator. In the U.S. they usually have them hidden near the tread plates at the ends.

54. Sodypop says:

There are sensors inside the escalator and when something like a shoelace get trap in there, it is hard enough to trigger the sensor: escalator stops.
    When flip-flops get caught, you can pull your foot out of the way easier. In addition, since your toes are exposed you can “feel” the end of the escalator and move your foot.
    Crocs are an issue because of the material. The material that crocs are made, it is soft enough for the sensors to not stop: think things like wrappers, paper, food. It any of those things were to trigger the sensor, the escalators would not stop every other 10 minutes.

55. S3CT says:

I know some if not most escalators will stop when they encounter a certain amount of resistance. Maybe little kid foot bones don’t give enough resistance.

56. Sodypop says:

Also, foot is inside the Croc and by the time child feels it being eaten by escalator, it is too late: child panic and it can’t react accordantly.

57. catskyfire says:

A couple thoughts. The one catch with an easily triggered emergency stop on an escalator (ie, if an object passes a beam, like in an elevator), is the escalator would never work because kids would be shoving stuff in it all day to make it stop. Not young ones, but those old enough to do the same things with elevators. And they do…

Here’s a thought. It’s not just crocs or escalators, but … what happened to teaching children how to walk by lifting their feet? I see kids, teens, and adults shuffling everywhere. No wonder their feet get caught in things or they trip, if they never lift their feet.

58. Finder says:

@full.tang.halo:

That kid…is back on the escalator again!

59. RothRandom says:

@akede2001: It’s nice to know a person that’s trolling around can actually prove that they have a brain.

But for the company’s sake, I would think that they would start to release warnings with a pair of their shoes. No matter what type of misuse the consumer does, they will always try to find a way to “beat the system” to try and get some money out of it. It’s what America and the people have come to, milk it for all it’s worth. I would think that this company would have changed something in the design or even put up warnings signs to help themselves from getting screwed over. Hell, the people that came up with Heely’s had warnings all over the damn box.

Didn’t it first start out with toes sticking out of the Crocs? Maybe a little alteration in the design would help.

60. lostalaska says:

Makes me think of the rant Brody did in the Kevin Smith movie Mall Rats about children getting mangled on escalators. I wish I could find that audio clip and post it here… it really sums this all up.

61. ironchef says:

you realize the grating on the escalator is a safety feature because it prevents people wearing normal shoes from catching the intake edge at the bottom of the escalator.This design has worked FINE for decades. If the grille wasn’t there or made flat to accommodate a croc, there would be accidents with on all sorts of shoes. Think about it.
    The grille is there because it is the most efficient way to reduce the contact edge surface area while a comb like ramp scoops feet and shoes out of the way.

Along comes a shoe company who comes and introduces a spongy material that squeezes in deeper than what the comb can handle. So what do you do when the crocs cure will mean more danger for the rest of the people who wear normal shoes?

62. azgirl says:

People get hurt at my job all the time for stupid reasons… people need to watch what they are doing, and teach the kids the same. Sad the kiddo had to get mauled, but I betcha she watches where those paws go now… My sis got a jacket cord stuck in one once…you bet she doesn’t let her kids near one without watching closely…

63. donopolis says:

Pick up your feet!

64. mannyv says:

Looking at a pair of Crocs, it’s unclear how exactly it would get sucked into the bottom of an escalator.

Were they wearning an open-toed Croc (looks like a flip-flop)? If so, then it’s not a Croc problem, it’s a general footwear problem.

Also, what’s with the escalator? Every escalator I’ve seen has a little cow-catcher sort of thing at the end. How would the tip of a shoe (or a toe) get by that?

65. ironchef says:

@mannyv: Supposedly the spongy material oozes into the cracks during compression. When the person lifts the foot, the spongy stuff grips the crocs slightly to the metal grate. A person might panic and keep their foot there despite the little effort it takes to pull one’s foot out.

66. MT says:

You could not pay me to wear Crocs. People who wear Crocs, short of something like gardening, are stupid. </blanket statement>

67. privatejoker75 says:

one less pair of crocs

one less bastard kid

+2 for society

68. Life_Sandwich says:

@ppiddyp: Cars can take off feet and legs and torsos too, and yet you find them in horrifying proximity to grade schools. So is that like walking around with a mouthful of cobras and tarantulas?

69. e.varden says:

Balls. The actual sin is that “real” Crocs retail @ $40.

I have 2 pairs of Chinese knock-offs @ $4/pair. (I’ve worn both; I feel no difference.) (And at $4 and comfort, I don’t give a rat’s patootie what you think of the esthetics.

- You want fugly? I give you Birkenstocks. (And these cowflops-with-straps don’t even have the Ace of being inexpensive!)

Yes mom, there is an etiquette to avoiding escalator trouble. The toothy ends can be dangerous (just LOOK at the stairs sliding relentlessly between the static teeth!

===
    And why are the yellow-painted strips (1 inch) – which must have been added as a visual aid to see where the step in front of you ends, and a new step (up or down) begins is ALWAYS INSTALLED BACKWARDS so you can’t see them? (At least in my city.)

And yes don’t hide the STOP butten. (Though I suspect assholes wanting a little delinquent in-your-face-display might find its obviousity too tempting….

70. allthatsevil says:

@womynist: “I can’t believe people are even weraing those things!They’re terribly ugly, and there’s no way they can provide the kind of support that your feet desperately need. It sucks that a child was hurt, but come on people, stop buying these ugly rubber “shoes”!”

Actually, they do provide support. I have very high arches (my mother has recently had several surgeries for this same problem) and I have a hard time finding shoes that don’t feel like torture devices after wearing them for 15 minutes. I got a pair of Crocs and wore them throughout my pregnancy. My OB was amazed that my feet and ankles were never swollen and never once got sore. They may not be sexy, but they’re the most comfortable shoes I own and I still wear them all the time.

As a matter of fact, the first time I ever saw them was on my podiatrist’s feet.

As for the kid – it’s obviously an escalator problem. You don’t hear about kids with Crocs getting their feet stuck in other things with moving parts. Parents have learned to make sure their kids’ fingers and toes are out of the way when they close their sliding van doors; they don’t let them play on elevators; they warn them against playing on train tracks, but they seem to have forgotten how dangerous escalators can be.

Escalators aren’t exactly people-friendly, much less kid-friendly. Anyone can get hurt on one, but adults know to be careful – children depend on their parents to warn them about dangerous situations, and that’s obviously not happening.

71. KF4 says:

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA kids stuck in elevators.

72. Craig says:

A quick Google search shows that in 1994 (well before Crocs came out) there were 7300 escalator accidents that required a visit to the emergency room, 20% of which resulted in injury to the foot or hand. Assuming at least half of these were foot injuries, you have 730 foot injuries over the course of a year, B.C. (before crocs). Given that this was 14 years ago, when there were significantly less escalators, and also given the relative popularity of Crocs, it’s fair to say that 77 Crocs incidents over the course of 17 months isn’t that big of a deal.

73. bcsus83 says:

For the love of God. Crocs are no more dangerous than the foam/canvas flip flops we all wore as children. It’s called common friggin’ sense. Don’t wear them on an escalator. I wouldn’t put Crocs on my children (and both of my children DO own Crocs) and then take them to a place where they would be expected to use an escalator any more than my mother would have allowed me to wear those foam flip flops to the mall.

Same reason I remember as a child not being able to wear flip flops to carnivals–and seeing signs posted on all of the ‘fun houses’ that say you must be wearing ‘appropriate shoes’ and ‘no thongs’ etc.

Common sense. We couldn’t sell it for a penny, i swear.

74. moonhoney2 says:

There *is* no reason this should have happened. The mother should have been aware of the issues with these shoes. I’ve been reading about them for ages. Yet she still put these butt-ugly, dangerous things on her daughter’s feet. It’s her own damn fault.

75. Mr. Gunn says:

bcsus83: dozens of comments before people start making sense.

Crocs may be ugly, but they’re nice to wear in hot climates where the whole shoes and socks thing isn’t that comfortable. The fact that you can just hose/rinse them off when they get dirty is a nice feature, too.

76. plasticredtophat says:

ergh, poor child! I mean seriously, the poor kid was hurt!

77. RetailGuy83 says:

@ppiddyp: Enter nanny state. Because we can’t (read: WON’T) take responcibility for ourselves we need Big Brother to step in and do it for us. Oh, by the way, I just threw up on myself.

78. Floobtronics says:

Stupid people will ultimately all wind up being chewed up in some kind of machinery, like say, an escalator. Or, if they’re too young to understand and it happens, they’re probably the children of stupid people.

2 kids. 1 & 3. Both love their sandals & crocs. Neither is more dangerous than the other. Neither is more or less dangerous than a pair of sneakers. Let’s be serious here, do you think a piece of machinery capable of hauling several thousand pounds at a time would balk any more at slicing through a sneaker than a croc?

My parents always told me to watch the end of the escalator and make sure it doesn’t eat my feet. We tell our kids the escalator is hungry and wants toes, so step up at the end. You know what? They do. Both have all 10 toes.

I don’t care for the things, but the kids love them. Common sense, when employed by parents can save children from their own inexperience as well as stupidity on the part of parents.

I feel bad for the kid, but that’s where my sympathy ends. This will result in another lawsuit, where the parents sue Crocs, the mall, the escalator manufacturer, the escalator maintenance company, the tooth fairy and Bruce Campbell. I remember a time when people would have said, “Wow, that’s terrible, I should have paid more attention. I hope the kid gets better.” Today, it’s more like, “Oh crap, who can I sue into oblivion over this accident my kid had?”

79. ablestmage says:

Sooner or later someone will sue a spoon manufacturer for their loved one’s murder by spoon. When it was the spoon-wielder who murdered their loved one. Where does it end?

80. thalia says:

Didn’t you hear the reports for the last, oh I dunno, year maybe that talk about kids getting their feet mangled if they wear crocs on an escalator?

I feel ridiculously sorry for the child, but seriously…if you find out something is dangerous for your kids, why do you still insist on buying them and then blaming someone else when something goes wrong? And she puts no blame on the shoes, just the escalator. What now, is every building with escalators going to be required to post warning notices about not being allowed to ride if they’re wearing crocs?

81. zurvan2 says:

Several commenters are missing a critical point here. The shoes are not getting caught at the end of the escalator right next to the emergency stop, they are getting caught by the *side* of the escalator.

“She was holding the rail… kept going down” etc.

82. I never knew escalators were that dangerous, as a kid I would always lift my foot slightly and let the the escalator push my feet off instead of stepping off, guess I was lucky

83. Raziya says:

So, uh…the lesson here is to LIFT UP YOUR FEET?! I mean really, who doesn’t teach their kids to not let the escalator suck their toes down into oblivion?

I am still scared of that happening to me now, at 23! And I remember being scared about it when I was little, as well, so…yeah. Learn to parent, blahlblahblah.

84. CaptZ says:

@full.tang.halo:

Mallrats! Awesome….just awesome….ftw!

85. @akede2001: What is wrong with you?

It’s the girl’s fault for not knowing in advance that an escalator could catch a certain type of shoe?

Even worse, it’s exactly people like yourself you go absolutely apeshit when something like this happens to them and then sue for a gazillion dollars. You want to post here that if you or your child’s foot was mangled in an escalator you’d be saying “guess it was my fault!” Nope, you’d be fucking apoplectic.

It’s always the people with the least empathy for others that handle situations like this the worse.

86. @akede2001: What is wrong with you?

Even worse, it’s exactly people like yourself who go absolutely apeshit when something like this happens to them and then sue for a gazillion dollars. You want to post here that if you or your child’s foot was mangled in an escalator you’d be saying “guess it was my fault!” Nope, you’d be fucking apoplectic.

87. lockdog says:

The photos on the news last night showed the girl’s foot and the shoe. Most of the injuries were to the top of her foot and the toes of the shoes. The mother said, “the escalator kept going down,” so I assume the girl’s shoes were caught as a higher step folded down into the step below. The “cow-catcher” at the landings would do no good. Based on what the mother said, the girl was either standing backwards on the down elevator or was on the up elevator and the “down” Mom was referring to was the upper step sinking into the lower one. As this starts to happen a few feet before the end of the run, I could see how in a crowded airport with lots of people carrying luggage that the mother might not have been able to reach the kill switch, and could certainly see how in Crocs one wouldn’t feel the toe getting caught in the folding steps until it was too late to pull free.

88. cynicalliberal says:

I still fail to see how this is Crocs fault and I hate them quite a bit. If anything… It appears to be an escalator design/lack of parental attention problem at worse.

89. marsneedsrabbits says:

@twophrasebark:

No, it is not the little girl’s fault, bless her heart.

It is her parent’s fault.

I never allowed my three year olds to ride escalators.

As in n-e-v-e-r. Seriously. Not once. Not till they were much older. Three is really too young to have the dexterity to process the need to step off at the correct time.

90. LesterTerra says:

To Finder: Yes! I was waiting for the Mallrats reference!

Which is exactly how I feel about the whole thing. I teach my 2 year
    old how to get off and on the escalator, and I make sure to watch her
    and *hold her hand* while she’s doing it. And she *definitely* under
    *no* circumstances is allowed *near* the thing unless I”m there to
    hold her hand.

And Crocs are for the water. There’s an exception for the preschool
    age set when they’re just learning about making choices and having
    consequences. (like your friends will shun you for wearing crocs in
    public.)

91. RChris173 says:

To the people that blame the consumer, it honestly is the company’s responsibility to a certain extent. They have to make their products safe and essentially because they start a “risk” by becoming a business, they are open to lawsuits like this. They have deep pockets and that is what it is all about…

92. Xkeeper says:

@wgrune: Of course not.

But to fight your analogy, if Pintos have a rether consistant tendancy to explode if they’re hit from a certain angle, should we blame the person for driving it?

Oh wait, this is The Consumerist. Oops.

The logical answer to this is that Crocs manufacturers need to do something about this, wether it’s doing research into how to prevent these kinds of accidents or simply LETTING PEOPLE KNOW THAT THERE IS DANGER ASSOCIATED WITH ESCALATORS AND THESE SHOES.

Seriously, the amount of blame-the-victim going on here is absolutely disguasting. I can’t even read the comments any more.

93. Xkeeper says:

@Xkeeper: I don’t know how I managed to miss my typo of “disgusting”, but whoops regardless.

94. Leofan7 says:

@APFPilot: There’s also a cool concept called stairs. I’ve tried them out before, and they’re pretty effective at the whole transportation deal. Yeah, you have to move more, but at least your foot won’t get ripped off on them.

95. evilhapposai says:

Even if this kid was sucked in the side on the escalator and not the end it is still not the shoes fault. Kids are STUPID and parents are worse by ignoring the kids. Every time I am at the mall I see the kids on the escalators doing dumb things like running up and down the moving steps, kicking at the non moving sides and anything else you can possibly think of EXCEPT standing their retarded selves still and stepping up at the end of the track. There needs to be more responsibility from the parents nowadays and more discipline allowed for dealing with an unruly child. If I had screwed around on the escalator when I was little I would have gotten my ass whooped.

If anything the mall should sue the parent for not attending to the child and causing a scene.

96. stuny says:

I think almost every post here is absurd.

Accidents happen every day in normal situations. Either by freak luck or our attention was diverted. This is an escalator, not an industrial food grinder. Not everyone approaches one wearing a welding mask and steel toed boots.

It was a sad accident that maybe could’ve been avoided. But I don’t think it’s fair to call the mother stupid or irresponsible and even more cruel to blame the girl for wearing Nerf footwear.

If the shoes were made out of dangling string covered in ground glass, I might blame Crocs, but it just seems like an unfortunate propensity to get caught in certain situations. Did you know that most car accidents are caused by people wearing shoes!? Let’s outlaw them all!

97. Scuba Steve says:

@akede2001: You don’t bring a knife to a gun fight and you don’t bring crocs to an Escalator!

98. Dilbitz says:

I got my Smurf shoelace caught in an escalator when I was 5. Ripped the damn lace off the shoe. Scared me half to death, and I was pissed that Papa Smurf got ate. Even to this day, I jump at the end of those bastards.

99. SJActress says:

@akede2001:

Actually, it’s a double extraction. It’s from “Mallrats”, and it’s a hilarious line.

100. affidavid says:

I was on an escalator once when the powered went out. Everyone not holding on to the handrai, adults and children alike, went tumbling forward, downward, headfirst onto those metal-edged steps. Those that held on as per the instructions posted at the beginning of the escalator went uninjured and walked away. Those who were injured (and there were some pretty nasty looking contusions) threatened to sue, but don’t know how that would stand up in court against a whole gaggle of uninjured folks who followed directions.

It ain’t about the Crocs, folks. I wish this would stop coming up. It’s like seeing all the nightly news casts where the criminals are always minorities. You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Dig.

101. acasto says:

People are retarded. Why should it be Croc’s fault that some people are idiotic parents? My wife works next to the escalators in a department store and is constantly telling me stories about the incredibly stupid stuff some parents do. She had to stop one couple last week because they were trying to take a push cart up the escalator with the baby carrier (containing newborn baby) just sitting sideways on the top, not strapped down or secured or anything. She told them there was an elevator nearby and they still wanted to do it. So she finally just told them they can’t and they went to the elevator. But then later found out someone saw some morons coming back down the escalator with a baby carrier balanced on top of their cart!!!

102. acasto says:

Another little anecdote my wife told me about the escalators at her work…. is how much business the second floor looses when the escalator is down, you know, when it turns into a regular set of stairs. They aren’t blocked off or anything, they just don’t automatically transport people’s fat asses twenty feet in elevation.

103. mammalpants says:

jeez, enough of this already.

would people PLUHHHLEAZZE stop having children?

104. dotcomrade says:

@zurvan2: Good point. And it’s not just shoes that are getting caught, but scarves too! This CBS News I-Team report demonstrates just how dangerous escalators can be and what stores can do to prevent escalator injuries.

105. dotcomrade says:

Remind your kids of the 3 S’s (of escalator safety):

Stand Still
    Stand Steady
    Stand Clear

Or have them watch this short PSA:

Of course the 3 S’s will take on an entirely new meaning as they get older: “Remember, before going out or after waking up: Shit, Shower and Shave! :)

106. mannyv says:

I guess I could see how a foot could get caught on the escalator if it was going down and the child was facing backwards, with the tip of her shoe touching the stair-thing behind her.

It couldn’t have been a closed-toe Croc, because it wouldn’t fit…unless the spacing between the steps was unusually large?

Maybe it affects Crocs more because they’re flexible and strong? A harder material wouldn’t deform enough to get sucked into the escalator…and they’re strong enough that they don’t break away?

Very weird.

107. Xkeeper says:

@stuartny: I mostly have to agree with the “absurd” comment. There was no indication anywhere that they were “misbehaving” or otherwise “irresponsible” — to the contrary, the article mentions holding onto the rail (which most people don’t even do). It’s not a far stretch to say that they weren’t, say, goofing off on the escalator and purposely trying to get stuck.

But this is the new attitude of The Consumerist: Commenters Bite Back, I guess.

(I keep ranting on this because I hope that, maybe, we can bring back the thoughtful atmosphere of the old one instead of the FUCK THE ARTICLE IT’S ALL THE VICTIM’S FAULT attitude that is here now)

108. NFlames says:

I just love where America is going…it’s no longer find the root cause, just who to blame, who’s fault is it, who’s ass do I get to sue so I can get my lottery winnings er…I mean settlement.

It’s not the escalator manufacturer’s fault, there are warnings all over those things. Should there be? No, those things look plenty menacing enough to where I was pretty terrified my feet would get eaten by one way back in the seventies before Americans made farting in someone’s general direction litigious thereby making it necessary to put big yellow and red warning signs everywhere (still surprised toothpicks don’t have ‘em).

What kind of place are we living in where everything needs a disclaimer to protect from lawsuits. I marvel at some of the disclaimers on products because you know they’re probably there because someone didn’t have the common sense to realize that they probably shouldn’t drink a whole bottle of anti-bacterial hand soap, pina colada scented or not.

…your honor, no where on that chainsaw was it listed that it should not be used to trim a hangnail resulting in my client’s grievous bodily harm.

How about this, watch your kids maybe, pay attention especially on moving metal stairs with freaking teeth on every step and especially at the end… (ANY METAL, MOVING MECHANICAL OBJECT IS DANGEROUS, PAY ATTENTION)

109. NFlames says:

Oops, meant to conclude with it’s a combination of errors, dangerous escalator, strange rubber shoes, lack of attention. I just get tired of lawsuit this lawsuit that, every little thing that happens to an American makes them think their gravy train just came in and it’s pretty sad.

110. joellevand says:

@full.tang.halo: I love you.

111. ZukeZuke says:

@Rachacha: LOL! I nearly coughed my lunch up when I read the Jetsons reference!

Obviously the inattentive parent’s fault. Like others have said here, my parents always taught me to take a BIG step at the end when the escalator met with the floor, lest you get sucked in…

112. Bs Baldwin says:

As Brodie said, kids have to fear and respect the escalator.