Meet Drank, The Anti-Energy Drink

There is a new beverage gaining popularity in the South, especially Houston, called Drank. Not content with following the herd of energy drinks, Drank is the antithesis of such products, claiming to be “the anti-energy drink” whose slogan is “slow your roll.” This purple carbonated beverage is infused with melatonin, valerian root and rose hips which give it a sedating effect. Details, inside…

Drank anti-energy drink finds its roots in “purple drank,” a slang term for a concoction popularized in the South by the hip-hop community, according to Wikipedia. Purple drank typically includes promethazine-codeine cough syrup which produces a stoned sedation. Promethazine is an antihistamine while codeine is an opiate narcotic. The syrup is colored purple hence “Purple drank.”

However, Drank’s active ingredients are all legal, and can be found at health and vitamin shops. Drank’s press release says, “From design to production, every aspect of this calming drink was inspired by today’s popular hip hop artists who embrace the much sought-after hip hop lifestyle that encourages people to capture a stress-free state of mind.”

If there can be a Cocaine Energy Drink with no cocaine, we suppose there can be Drank with no powerful pharmaceuticals. However, given the active ingredients, we’re guessing that Drank will do little more than make you sleepy. But if taking naps is what is considered hip-hop nowadays, we’re sure that Drank will be a runaway success.

Adventures in Press Releases: The Anti-Energy Drink [Village Voice]
Purple drank [Wiki]

Comments

1. egogg says:

Well, at least its not infused with something illegal, like its namesake.

2. Bladefist says:

melatonin is the hormone your brain lets out when it gets dark outside. It’s what tells humans that night time is sleepy time. I sometimes pop a melatonin when I cant sleep. I dont know the dosage of it in this drink, but 1 pill, in about 20 mins, will put you out. So don’t drank and drive.

3. I gotta get my Drank on before I get my nap on.

But it’s purple? Is it anything like grape drink?

4. naptownk says:

Isn’t this the flaming mo drink from the Simpsons?

5. @Bladefist: Oooooh, that’ll be a hella lawsuit, the first person who does drank and drive.

6. B says:

I’ve been drinking anti-energy drinks for years. I call them beer.

7. Great, all we need is to add to people’s confusion about the proper use of the past participle.

So is it “Hey, had you drank a Drank?” or “Did you drunk a Drank?”

8. Boatski says:

Purple Drank! Ima grip an sip!

9. chiieddy says:

@B: We call them a 16 oz sleeping pill in our household.

10. eternaluxe says:

@B: winrar.

11. theblackdog says:

How many college professors could I mess with by slipping them drank? It seems like they’re always hitting the coffee and energy drinks.

12. opsomath says:

@egogg: cough syrup is illegal?

13. bohemian says:

Valerian root and melatonin can be some potent stuff even though they are herbal. They already have had problems with kids drinking energy drinks and ended up in the ER because they were freaking out about the heart racing feeling.
    Cue some kid drinking a bunch of these and ending up in the ER because they passed out or worse yet drank enough to critically drop their blood pressure or something.

14. muffinpan says:

wait, if I drink a Red Bull then a Drank do they cancel each other out.

15. Bladefist says:

@B: I know alcohol is a depressant, but It never makes me tired. Suicidal, yes, but never tired.

16. ThunderRoad says:

Good for the end of the day when you need to come off the 4 cans of Diet Mt. Dew you had in the afternoon, the two or three Monsters you drank while clubbing, and the extra ADHD pill you took at 6pm to have the energy for the evening.

17. cashmerewhore says:

@opsomath:

the cough syrup in drank contains codiene. and the amount in the “illegal” purple drank is 1/4 cup, well BEYOND the suggested dosage of two teaspoons…tablespoons, i forget.

i’m upset that my codiene cough syrup was not purple. i tried making drank with a dosage of it (not the 1/4 cup as the recipe suggested) and it was rank. how anybody can drink that recreationally is beyond me.

i’d rather have my nyquil with pseudoephedrine….

18. @muffinpan: No, you get transported to a magic world where things are made of chocolate. And Shaq is your magical tour guide.

19. witeowl says:

Ah… I remember the good old days when a soda was just a soda, and the only thing it promised to do was make you cool and popular.

20. graphicwave says:

Does anyone know where this can be purchased around Houston, Austin or San Antonio? A website? I can’t find a web page for ordering, either.

21. this is brilliant.

Grip n Sip indeed.

22. amyschiff says:

I never thought I’d see the day when I was like “damn, I have too much energy. I need to take it down a notch.”

23. djanes1 says:

The chopped and screwed subculture really sold out with this one.

24. Angryrider says:

…Hold it! It sucks energy from you? And it might be a method to act southern without all the alcohol? I’m gonna get me one!

25. Finally, the Dirty Souf represents on Consumerist.

26. swstmama says:

I wonder if parents will start giving their kids this stuff to get them to slow down…surely Drank will be cheaper than Ritalin?

27. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@graphicwave: Dude, what are you, a traveling salesman? Those places are in a triangle with minimum three-hour sides.

I’m in Houston. I’ll keep an eye out.

28. Jay Slatkin says:

@graphicwave: This is what I found as their website, however, the site seems to be down atm.

29. thegirls says:

Wonder what kind of effects you’d feel if you drank a Red Bull and then followed up w/a can of Drank..?

30. Parting says:

Where I can buy it? I’d sooo need it at the end of the day, when I’m too tired to fall asleep.

31. homerjay says:

I read about this stuff in last months “Grape Soda Monthly”

32. azzy says:

Hansen’s (the maker of Monster & others) used to have a drink called D-stress back in the 90′s. Had a similar purpose, and it actually did make you pretty sleepy. Which is why I never really purchased it.

33. dequeued says:

That actually sounds like a great idea.

I occasionally have a sugar free redbull if I am tired in the morning.

Right now my only option for a “downer” is to buy a can of beer on my way home, or to brew some tea when I actually get home.

I just hope they don’t screw it up by making it sugary sweet like redbull.
    It would be great if it had a subtle taste, like snapple iced tea or something.

34. Wormfather says:

@naptownk: lol, yesterday the lady and I were talking about what to serve at our dinner party Saturday and I was arguing that we needed a desert that was on fire ala crem brule or baked alaska. She argued that she was making Banoffee Pie (eh, bananas). She countered with, “cant you make a drink thats on fire”.

I replied with “You mean a flaming Homer, I’m not making a flaming homer”

She finished the argument with, “No, a flaming Mo”

I shot the bitch out of principle.

35. Wormfather says:

Moe*

36. CaptZ says:

This is one way that Houston can retain it’s title as Fattest city in America. They have to be good at something and I am sure this will help them keep that edge as lazy which in turn help them stay fat.

37. Ragman says:

Instead of mixing red bull with booze, mix drank with booze. That’ll shut the party down!

38. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@bohemian: Yikes.

39. darksunfox says:

According to the only nutritional data I could find on the web, it’s got 110 calories per 8 ounces (sold in 16 oz cans). So… they load it up with high fructose corn syrup and then you’re buzzing off the sugar while the other stuff is putting you to sleep. Awesome idea. They should sell it with a Red Bull chaser just so you can confuse your body even more.

40. no.no.notorious says:

“Drank anti-energy drink finds it’s roots in “purple drank,” a slang term for a concoction popularized in the South by the hip-hop community”

…only the dumb hip-hop community. not the smart one. seriously. it’s a good idea, but to pay homage to the hip-hop community for bad grammar is really dumb.

41. darkryd says:

@B: @B: brilliant!

42. darkryd says:

Scotch is my “drank” of choice.

And I can see kids who can’t buy beer stocking up on this stuff.

43. Uriel says:

I drank myself into a coma.

44. Elvisisdead says:

@thepictureradio: Not to be technical, but it’s not the DS. It’s 3rd coast. Chopped and screwed. Paul Wall, Bun B, Pimp C, etc. Also called “oil”.

@no.no.notorious: Absolutely. I’d almost bet that you wouldn’t find Dan the Automator, Del, Mos Def, etc. drinking anything like it.

@graphicwave: Dude, head to Greenspoint. 59 south inside the beltway. Anywhere on either side of 45 inside the beltway. Ben Taub, whatever.

45. The Great Aussie Evil says:

Pumping my enemies full of it via IV would be nice

46. freshwater says:

@ homerjay: “and you tried to bribe me with a subscription to Grape Soda Monthly . . . which I already have.”

47. thegirls says:

@no.no.notorious:
    Agreed! I don’t see any connection for this drink and the likes of KRS-One.

48. PinkBox says:

Wow. I was just at Whole Foods and almost got one thinking it was an energy drink, but changed my mind.

I could totally see someone confusing the two.

Yes, I realize it says anti-energy, but it didn’t really catch my eye.

49. blue_duck says:

@NameGoesHere: Hmmm…

50. ramthor says:

A melatonin drink, inspired by the hip-hop community?
    Is this an Obama campaign effort?!

51. Opie says:

This would be a great refreshment for whem I am playing my guitar.

Strum und Drank

52. mermaidshoes says:

oh man, why isn’t mike jones all over this shit?

53. KF4 says:

Sugar. Water. Purple.

54. dj_skilz says:

Drink+Dank=DRANK

Seems to be the demo they are aiming at. Many of the same side effects of the other substance that produces a PURPLE HAZE.

hmm…. I think this is gonna go the same route as the COCAIN drink.

55. viriiman says:

Let me buy you, a draaaank.

56. cmcd14 says:

Now I can drink my energy drink and then this and be TOTALLY NORMAL!!!

57. whatdoyoucare says:

Okay this is a little off topic, but there used to be an alcoholic drink that looked like a can of this stuff. Anyone remember what it was called?

58. Raziya says:

I should have had some of this on my flight for our honeymoon!

59. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@CaptZ: I imagine that might actually be true if we actually drank the crap, *itch. But it’s a drug of abuse, not handed out with our morning Starbucks. Project much?

60. quail says:

Houston, birthplace of drinking huge amounts of prescription cough syrup. I’d expect it was one of those guys who came up with the idea for this drink — a more legal version of the cough syrup.

61. Kurtz says:

@Boatski: Ahh yeah, you know it!

But does Drank come with Jolly Ranchers already in it, or do you have to add them yourself?

62. Parapraxis says:

juice? what the fuck is juice? i want some grape drank baby! its purple!

63. whysteriastar says:

I posted a link to this in my blog, [www.ruethedayblog.com]
    basically, it sounds like it’ll be great for lazy stoners who can’t afford pot…although, considering it probably costs the same as pot, I don’t really see the point.

64. ret3 says:

I think I’ll just sit here and drank…

65. magic8ball says:

@Opie: +1

66. drjayphd says:

Only question is, how does DJ Screw feel about thi–wait, he’s what? Ohhhhhh. Cwaaaaaap.

67. howie_in_az says:

Stop the world, I want to get off, I’ve had enough of humanity.

68. eelmonger says:

@darksunfox: Dammit, that’s what I was afraid of. I take 3mg of melatonin whenever I can’t sleep and was looking forward to trying this, but all that sugar makes it kinda pointless. My experience with melatonin is that it does a fantastic job of helping you sleep, but it doesn’t zonk you out the way NyQuil or prescription stuff would. SO I’m guessing that the 200+ calories (assuredly from HFCS) right before bed might be enough to negate the effects. But maybe that’s what they were going for, it says “slow your roll” not “pass the hell out.”

69. Annika-Lux says:

Firstly, they should’ve called it “purple drink”.

Is this some kind of secret government plan to get people to stop abusing benzodiazepines and other downers?

I can pop a couple of diphenhydramine (or Ambien, since I have a script) and go to sleep. I don’t need to drink a giant can of a probably disgusting drink.

70. BlazerUnit says:

@djanes1: You know there are about a dozen Texas-area rappers who are mad that they didn’t think of this first.

71. BlazerUnit says:

@no.no.notorious: As if you’ve never used a bit of slang when speaking. I think I hear your high horse neighing.

72. perfectoon_0901 says:

“whaaa? nigga what the fuck is juice? i want some grape drank, baby!”

Sugar, water, and purple

73. spookyjon says:

This is probably the best thing ever invented ever.

74. gliscameria says:

They need to get Three 6 Mafia to do a commercial, and rename it sizzurp.

I wouldn’t recommend trying to do much of anything (like driving) after being chalked full of valerian root and melatonin.

75. scott5834 says:

@CaptZ: To be fair to Houston, it’s nowhere near the fattest city in terms of actual obesity rates. Riverside, Nashville, San Antonio, and others top that list. The title came from some pretty sketchy analysis from Men’s Health magazine, which included thing like restaurant density, number of gyms, and commuter length instead of BMI. To add to the dubiousness of their claims, they made Houston one of the “fittest” cities a year or two ago. Fattest to fittest in one year!

76. GF_AdventureGrl says:

drank-potential date rape situation?

77. Mr. Gunn says:

We need a LOLRapper, stat!

78. teqsun.com says:

As a houstonian, I am all about the drank… purple stuff… sizzurp… what ever you wana call it.

This reminds me of when they tried to sell that energy drink called cocaine… when will they learn?

79. ReneeGadhero says:

I just had a sip of one and I can tell yoooouuu
    thaaat….zzzzzzzzzzzzzz…..

80. PølάrβǽЯ says:

Drank Jagger bombs…. the new date rape drug!

81. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

This reminds me of when Jolt cola came out, in the midst of all the diet sodas being sold, advertising itself as having “All the sugar, and twice the caffeine” of other regular sodas.

82. yungjerry703 says:

damn isn’t the south slow enough?

83. SJActress says:

@dequeued:

For the record, Red Bull is not “sugary sweet”. It tastes like perfume, plain and simple (and disgusting).

I live in Houston and I’ve NEVER seen this drink.

84. The Master of Reason says:

Over here in Santa Barbara, some promotion team is marketing Crunk! Energy Drink really heavily to college kids. I’d bet that if you mixed Crunk and Drank together, it might, in fact, actually TURN YOU INTO LIL JOHN

85. Alex Chasick says:

Meanwhile, I still can’t find Brawndo ANYWHERE.

86. Truvill says:

@Boatski:

Thank you for the reminder.

87. AcidReign says:

“Purple Drank” ’round these here parts is one of those 16 oz. cans of purple Amp energy drinks, mixed with a bottle of Jaegermeister.

88. LosersHaveCreditCardDebt says:

If it is man-made don’t eat it or drink it.

89. Norcross says:

Fantastic. Purple Drank used to be known as a codeine blended drink. An NFL player got busted buying a bunch of cases of them for that very reason.

90. BrianU says:

Brave New World. Can’t anyone function without being under the influence of something? I don’t think so.

91. Coelacanth says:

@darksunfox: Well, the high-fructose corn syrup may initially produce a buzz (for some), but when the insulin rush kicks in, it only serves to amplify the sedation.

92. drjayphd says:

@Norcross: What ever happened to transporting massive quantities of weed? Does he think he’s better than the Cowboys in the 90′s?

93. Channing says:

So, this is like nyquil only soda’d? I’d try it once, maybe.

94. gliscameria says:

@Alex Chasick:
    I gave in and ordered a case. Comes out to $2.50 a can after shipping/taxes. Plus I got to put a sh!t ton of it in the work fridge.

95. Alex Chasick says:

I was thrilled to discover this at the Virginia ABC store a few months ago:

96. umbrellagurl says:

why would I want to fall asleep when having a good time? I’d prefer to be just plain relaxed and focused at the same time. I was at a party and tried a new drink called ViB (vacation in a bottle) and it’s superb mixed or by itself. Apparently Jessica Simpson is an investor in it.
    [cbs11tv.com]

97. AdineNobdobber says:

@Jay Slatkin:
    Do you have the website you found drank on?

Thanks for your help. I am in Atlanta and trying to find it

98. AdineNobdobber says:

@azzy:
    Do you know where I can purchase that D-stress drink?

Thanks

99. AdineNobdobber says:

@gliscameria:
    Can I ask where you ordered it?

THanks

100. temporaryerror says:

The Nellie/St Lunatics set created a energy drink called “Pimp Juice” a while back. Tasted like flat sugary apple juice.

101. mrbill says:

Just bought a can of this at the Chevron store located at the corner of Westheimer and Gessner.

Tastes pretty much like any other energy drink; sorta like a semi-flat Mt. Dew.

102. Anonymous says:

How many should you dring per day, or evening? What meds should not be mixed with drank?

103. Joe McCollister says:

Maybe we should get some for the teens.

104. Amanda Wilkey says:

i would like to know where i could find this drink? i live in atoka tn and i have looked in kroger walmart and the convient stores

105. docmoss says:

Promethazine is not an anithistamine. It’s an anti nuasea drug to keep you from puking due to the codeine. It’s similar to meclizine which you may know as dramamine, the car sickness medication. I know junkies that used to shoot it in thier arm coctail so they wouldn’t get sick when they got high. Funny, the only place I’ve seen Drank in Indy is the shitty near eastside, and shitty near northside where the majority of junkies and crackheads live in this fair city. All the same, I’m tempted to try the stupid crap before the soccer moms have it taken off the shelves. “Keep the rosehips away from the kiddies! They’re not organic!”. I’ve actually heard this drink referred to as “a gateway to real purple drank”. I hope I don’t become a raging cough syrup addict.