Greg's Office Max Freakout

This guy on San Fran’s “Woody Show” goes into Office Max, twice, and loses his shit after every item he brings up to the counter rings up higher than its shelf-price. Not only does no one seem to care, one employee even insinuates that the complainant might be partially at fault for Office Max’s inability to shelve things in the right place. Neither disc jockey, producer, crazed customer, Office Max employees number 1 and 2, nor Office Max Manager seem to realize that if the item is found on the store shelves under a certain price, as long as the description matches the product, the store has to honor the price. It’s the law. In addition to a an amusing radio clip and animation, The Woody Show also has material here for a complaint to their state’s Attorney General. Video, inside…

(Thanks to Clokeisgod!)

Comments

1. Hanke says:

Every store with shelf pricing has the item description on the shelf tag. If someone put the item on the shelf under the wrong tag, they do NOT have to honor the price; if the description on the tag matches the item, however, they must honor it. If the former was the case, consumer fraud would be rampant in these situations.

2. DeadlySinz says:

LOL classic

3. Pylon83 says:

@Hanke:
    I agree. I think the conclusions of law that Ben made are inappropriate, over-broad and incorrect. Further, most of the consumer protection laws vary state-by-state, so simply saying “it’s against the law” isn’t terribly accurate. Maybe a cite to this “law” that requires Best Buy to sell an $300 item that I place on a shelf for a $2 item to the next guy who picks it up?

4. ITDEFX says:

LOL!!

Sadly this is true, but not just in Office Max. I have been thru the same situation…sometimes they will honor it other times they will say “well that tag isn’t suppose to be there and there is nothing I can do about it!”

5. Mozoltov, motherfucker says:

@Hanke: But that is not what happened. It sounds like it was the right tag but the wrong price.

6. Wormfather says:

OMG, Anger FTW!

7. chrisjames says:

Does Office Max mark SKU’s or UPC codes on the price tags? That would be a quick way to ensure proper pricing for both the store and the customer. Conversely, if a Logitech Mouse is in the slot with a tag stating only “Logitech Mouse,” like some stores have, then I’d say the description matches and they need to honor it.

In the former case, I guess the best you could do is claim that some items were purposefully misplaced or neglected (given the employees’ attitudes), and that waiting forever in line to purchase a mis-priced item qualifies as a kind of bait-and-switch. But, it seems easier to just scream one big “Screw this craphole, I’m buying somewhere else!” and then buy somewhere else.

8. petrarch1608 says:

I’ve seen this happen at Fred Meyers in the Northwest. Strange, it always seems to be in the grocery store’s favor.

9. zigziggityzoo says:

Best animation evar. I love it.

10. edrift101 says:

That was GREAT!

11. Stormslanding says:

As a former employee of a big box retailer, its company policy to match the sku of the product with the sku on the shelf tag.

If the price is lower on the shelf tag I would give it to the customer IF there was more then one item stocked with the tag. Too often you get Joe Cheapskate trying to get a $100 product for $5.00 by switching the tags.

If it was me servicing this hack, I would have taken all the items off the counter, voided his transaction and told the general manager that he used vulgar language and threatened me, then escorted him out the door.

12. mac-phisto says:

listen, i can SOOOO relate to this story – it’s freakin’ crazy. i feel like the cartoon guy. same exact thing, i was trying to buy a white board & markers – only when i got to the register, they couldn’t ring it up. cashier gets on her little headset & calls three – THREE! – different people to the front. where did you find this? *walk to item* here. ok. *walk back to front* it won’t ring up so just put in the price or something, I’VE BEEN HERE FOR 30 MINUTES ALREADY JUST TO BUY A FREAKING WHITEBOARD. sorry sir, i can’t sell it to you wha-WHAT?!? well, we don’t sell this. it’s not in our system. i don’t know where you found it, but you can’t buy it.

i was dumbfounded. here i am trying to buy something that they have a gazillion of & evidently, they don’t sell it. i even tried saying “well, if you don’t sell it & you don’t know where i got it, then i’ll just take it.” no, b/c that would be stealing. NO, IT WOULDN’T BE STEALING B/C YOU DON’T SELL IT!!! WHERE’S YOUR F-ING MANAGER???!??!

anyway, i left w/o a white board or markers, never to return. f- you, office max. :(

13. ndjustin says:

Here’s the audio link if you don’t want to deal with the video:

[www.live105.com]

14. hi says:

Very funny. Too bad it happens all the time. But on another note some cashier rang up my item yesterday and charged me less than what it was priced as. Usually I would point this out but lately with gas prices and all the corporations ripping off customers I gladly paid less. Take that “man”. :)

15. Hanke says:

@cubensis: I based my comment on Ben’s editorial, not the event that occured. And my comment does include the right description/wrong price would make it a valid claim.

16. bohemian says:

Hmm. I have found this at Walmart twice in the last six months. I avoid Walmart like the plague but sometimes they have something I can’t get anywhere in town. I found a digital camera that was $9.99 (yes I made sure it was the right tag) when I rung it up on the self checkout it came up as $35.00. The person monitoring the self checkout just shrugged her shoulders at me when I pointed it out and wouldn’t adjust the price. So I didn’t buy it and left.

I grabbed a pair of sandals that were supposed to be $12.00. I was in a hurry to pay via the express lane checkout, swiped the card, shoved the receipt in the bag and left. The next day I noticed they charged me $24.00 for the sandals and had not rung them up twice. They also had the price on the plastic cable that was holding the shoes together so there was no “wrong price tag”.

Had I not paid attention both times Walmart would have scammed me out of $37.01 on two small purchases.

Twice out of three times I bought something in six months? Has to be a scam.

17. katworthy says:

This is why I don’t shop at Office Max.

18. vdragonmpc says:

Hey I can add to that:

Dont ever buy freaking hard drives there or at Staples. The Maxtor Boxed drives do NOT have the same warranty as drives purchased at newegg or other reputable shops. You would think a ‘retail boxed’ drive would have a better warranty than a ‘bagged’ drive but nope one year on the drive.

Here is the rub: I purchased 14 maxtor drives for different projects. All failed roughly in 30 days around the warranty date!! I have 2 still at home that developed bad sectors. The ones others bought that I installed failed also.

A lesson learned. I dont stray from Newegg for parts.

19. MitchV says:

I have a vague recollection of a story w/regards to Walmart I heard when I was in college (it was a while back). Basically they got in trouble because they were investigated and it was found that incorrect pricing occurred in the store’s favor too often.

If it’s a pricing mistake, odds would dictate it should happen *at least* 50% of the time in the customer’s favor. The percentage in the customer’s favor should increase because it’s logical to assume that customers will complain when they are over-charged… so mistakes in the stores favor should be reduced even further.

You know who does a beautiful job with pricing? Kroger. If they ring up an item and the price is wrong, they give it to you free. They then march over to the customer help desk and somebody goes and fixes the price.

Think about the overwhelming amount of inventory a grocery store like Kroger has to deal with and the hundreds of items that are repriced each week for sales. If they can do a decent job of keeping marked prices correct, there is no excuse for a store like Office Max (with half the inventory quantity) to be able to do the same.

20. Skankingmike says:

i suggest screaming and cursing about how you’re going to sue the store and get everybody fired.

That generally makes the manager want to help you more. just and FYI

21. steveliv says:

two stores that i frequent, have store policies pertaining to scanning errors. For example, at wal-mart, if an item scans higher than the price on the shelf, they will do the following. if the item is $3 or less, the will give it to you for free. if the item is more than $3 they will give you $3 dollars off. At kroger they do the same thing except as far as i know, they don’t have a $ limit. As for a store giving a high dollar item for free because it scanned wrong, i would like to see proof of this so called law. i just can’t see best buy or circuit city giving a free tv away because it scanned wrong. most likely they would charge you the correct price or maybe even the lower price if you complained about it.

22. khiltd says:

The Office Max employees at the San Francisco Arguello location are usually too busy holding “chair races” to actually do anything so I can’t say I’m surprised.

23. @hi:

Nice rationalization…gotta love the sliding scale of justice (corporations better not screw me, but I can screw them!)

24. SayeedaMacrotainer says:

As a retail employee i can see this from both perspectives. A lot of times
    what happens is an employee will put an entire box of product in the wrong
    spot because he is not paying attention. But it does get annoying when a
    customer has obviously picked a product up and put it down in the wrong
    spot, then another customer brings it up and is like, “what do you mean this
    laptop isnt 15.99?” We are not perfect. When an employee gets paid 7 dollars
    an hour, the quality of that job done will be equivalent. Maybe its just me,
    but i always cross reference the product with the upc on the price tag to
    make sure its the right one. And the planners are always a mess, they all
    look the same so its hard to tell what belongs at what price point,
    especially if you are a stupid customer!

25. donde esta la video?

26. nevermind…I was accidentally on the school’s network (blocked) and not the cable modem

27. freejazz38 says:

Um, you DO realize that Officemax has a strict IQ quota for it’s employees, right? Anyone with an IQ over single digits is automatically disqualified. And the WONDER why they are going out of business. Here in mASSachusetts, they don’t enforce item pricing laws because the retailers are in the legislators pockets (that is when the legislator isn’t out in a park somewhere groping women) the only way to get them enforced is to bring your own lawsuit

28. Faerie says:

I love Greg and I love the Woody show. This is too funny =)

29. Anonymous says:

Once at a local dept store I found a quite nice lamp (for a dept store) with a price tag zip tied to it that said it was $15. It seemed roughly accurate so I grabbed one. The item rang up for $60, but after some arguing and me walking back with a manager, arguing some more, me taking a picture of the zip tied price tag, he finally agreed he’d honor the price. The tag was still on the lamp the next time I visited.

PS, The tag was zip tied to a display lamp, not the one I bought.

30. Katharine says:

At a chain grocery store here if it rings in incorrectly the item is free + $1. If you buy multiples the first item is free + $1 and you get the difference on the rest.

31. I love Flash, because it helps me make my living, and makes animation a lot easier; I hate it because it enables any talentless douche to make shitty animated shorts.

God I hate bad animation.

32. RetailGuy83 says:

OfficeMax isn’t going out of business, Office Depot is under SEC investigation, but I doubt they go under either.

In the case of the mouse, A customer reshelved it incorrectly. Sucks, but it does happen.

In the case of the calendar, they missed a price change.

Handlebar mustache was a douche bag.

Radio guy was a bigger douche bag.

33. RINO-Marty says:

At a Kroger several years ago, I bought a candy bar and it rang up for about twice its marked price. I went to the service desk, got a full refund, and walked out with the free candy bar. Next day I happened to notice it was still marked incorrectly, so I bought another one. Same lady at the service desk refunded my money. I suggested the really, seriously ought to fix the price. Day three, same thing. Day four, again, free candy. By this point, the folks at the service desk knew me by name and treated me like I was a freeloading thief. They were angry with me! By day five, the price was corrected.

34. mariospants says:

The best thing you can do in the circumstance where the store refuses to honor a price that’s clearly marked on the product is to document it and threaten to take it to the AG. Stores do not have a right to change an advertised price under your nose. The next person who comes along trying to get the same deal, maybe, but not the person who found the screwup. Doc an employee’s salary if you have to.

Carrying around a digital camera seems to be more and more important these days…

35. Love the toon. This is the first time I’ve seen animation applied over talk radio like this, and I’d like to see more. Bless the Internet.

@hi: So are you saying that if gasoline were, say, $2.50/gallon you would do the honest, honorable thing and pay the correct price? Somehow I doubt it, Robin Hood. If I hear another jackass blame his own shiftiness, stupidity, or irresponsibility on $4 gasoline my head is going to explode.

36. Joedel263 says:

I absolutely HATE these articles! Different states have DIFFERENT laws. While in California this may be the case, in most states the laws are DIFFERENT. I am tired of arguing with customers who think I have to mark something down because some other lazy person put a $100 item in front of a $3 tag (and yes, I am aware that the article states that the tags read the actual items name/sku, other people aren’t..)

(I even had one customer bring in the law with her arguing that she should get the item for free (where I live up to $20 if a consumer commodity rings up higher(not less! believe me.. I’ve seen it all..) you get one of that item free of charge.) because the tag was off by a dollar. (it was a toy cash register mind you!) (toys != consumer commodity)

Please, PLEASE, clarify…

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. ~ Douglas Adams

37. rellog says:

@Pylon83: You certainly do seem to be an expert armchair lawyer…
    Most, if not all states have some sort of consumer protection law that deals with scanners and shelf tags. If the “wireless mouse” tag did not have corresponding UPC numbers with the actual wireless mouse then what they did WAS against the law.
    In WI, the AG threw a smack-down on KMart years back that forced them to pay the customer $3 (or the item free if under $3) for EVERY scanner mistake they had because they did this type of stuff CONSTANTLY.

38. DeeJayQueue says:

I could be wrong here, but I thought it was the dept of weights and measures that handled pricing issues. I know that for produce, they get very picky about the scales being tared off correctly to account for the weight of the bags.

I was in Lowes recently, and I bought a paint roller extension handle. They had a bin of them at the end of the aisle, but the bin was poorly constructed and there were no clear deliniations between the models of handle, however there were several tags with different prices on them. So I took one out of the largest concentration of them, in front of a sign that said $3.99 or somesuch. It rings up $7.49. I informed the cashier of the problem and we walked over to the bin. She said “Oh well that must be for these other ones here..” pointing to a cheaper model than I’d picked. “Well,” I said, “Most of these (the one I’d picked” are grouped here behind the $3.99 sign, and since there are no separators in this bin, and this matches the description of what’s in here (paint roller extension handle) I’d suggest you either adjust the price in the computer, or call your manager over.” She gave me the stink eye, but she did change the price.

39. Orv says:

@DeeJayQueue: Both the law and the department that enforces it varies from state to state.

40. Pylon83 says:

@rellog:
    I notice how you provide no citation for this WI law, and you claim that “most, if not all” states have such laws, yet you provide nothing to back this up. I didn’t say that states don’t have such laws, what I said was not ALL States have them, thus Ben’s assertion that it was “Against the law” everywhere is over-broad and incorrect.

41. ringo00 says:

This same thing happened to me at my local Target. My wife and I went in to buy a grill with some left over gift cards from our wedding. The grill we wanted had a sale sign on it for $169.99, marked down from $199.99. We grabbed the sale ticket and went to check out, and the grill rang up at full price. I explained to the cashier that the sale sign said differently, so she called for a price check. The stock goon affirmed the price on the sign so she then called a manager over to change the price and he said that the sale price was expired and that the sign should have been taken down. I said that it was still on display and that I wanted the sale price. He walked back to the display and grabbed the sign, folded it up, and stuck it in his pocket. He told me that since the sale was over, he didn’t have to honor the price. I then told him that by law he was required to honor the price that was on display no matter when the sale ended. He then said that for all he knew, I printed up a fraudulent sale price and put it there myself. He then threatened to have me arrested for price switching. I told him to go ahead and call the cops and see what happens. By now, he and I are in a shouting match and my wife suggests that we just leave. She probably saved me from an assault arrest because I tend to get a little hot tempered when I am falsely accused of a crime.

It worked out though. We went back a few weeks later and there was a better grill on sale for the same price. We bought that one with no problems at all. Well, other than the cashier acting extremely annoyed when we paid for it with about 15 different gift cards ranging in value from $1.57 to $50. From the way she acted you’d have thought that I tried to pay with a big bag of unsorted change.

42. RetailGuy83 says:

@ringo00: One quick way to get on the bad (read: unhelpful) side of a manager is to tell him something about his store is illegal. Somehow, I just bet that a national chain like Target puts “sale ends ‘date’” on their sale tags. This would then difine the parameters of the described pricing. Also, at many national chains, just mentioning “illegal” or “lawsuit” is a good way to get yourself booted out of a store. “If you intend to contact an attorney, then we can’t have this conversation, please leave my store now.”

43. gizmo84 says:

listen to live 105.3fm every morning here in the SF bay area, pretty hilarious incident.

44. forgottenpassword says:

Certainly understandable the frustration the dude had…. especially after this happening two days in a row on two seperate items. Something is REALLY wrong with that store. WHether it is just employee incompetance or purposely done to trick customers into paying more just so the store can make more money has yet to be determined. However if it seems it is ALWAYS a mistake in the store’s favor then I’d lean more towards the latter.

Believe me…. I can relate. Nothing more frustrating than going to buy something on sale & then seeing that it is priced wrong once you pay for it. Feels like you are being scammed on purpose.

45. mac-phisto says:

@Pylon83: well, here’s the law in connecticut (pdf) –> [www.ct.gov]

in short – mismarked commodities under $20 are free (or if the error is in the customer’s favor, they get it for the scanned price). over $20, the retailer must give the customer $20 off, but the customer must ask.

here’s the thing: it only applies to commodities, or things that are used up over time. so, to relate to the video, i think the calendar would be free, but the mouse would not be, maybe?

46. forgottenpassword says:

@Hanke:

and this can obviously go the other way. The store that routinely puts a similar item in a lower priced item’s place & then charges more than advertised & then claims its a mistake when caught. Would make a wonderfull way for a store manager to improve his profit sheets.

47. shockwaver says:

Most places around here (even Home Depot and Home Outfitters and what not) seem to just.. change the price if they scan wrong and I say something. When I worked at Futureshop, there was a sticker on all our tills that said something to the effect of “If the item scans wrong, you will get the item free up to $10″.. we didn’t usually give the discount, but we did just change the price at the till and remove the old tag. It was company policy, as long as we called the manager when we did it, it was fine.

48. Leohat says:

I think that anything not CLEARLY labeled as to its price should be free.

What the fark ever happened to PRICE TAGS?.

49. BeThisWay says:

@Leohat

What happened to price tags? Companies got got tired of people switching 3.99 price tags onto 99.99 items.

T

50. mac-phisto says:

@BeThisWay: well, that’s actually easily solved if companies are willing to make the investment -> [www.marginmate.com]

if you think of all the money lost in mispricing & all the time lost in pricing products overall (which equates to money when you consider the cost of labor), electronic shelf displays are quickly paid for.

51. goodkitty says:

@InfiniTrent: Yes it’s a sliding scale of justice, but the disparaging fact of the matter is that every corporation screws its customers over daily, so when any of us peons has the opportunity to ‘get one back’ we’re going to. It isn’t fair, but then business these days in general has ceased to be fair.

@Leohat: It’s all in the computer now. The computer is all-powerful. The shelf tags are merely there for your convenience, and do not represent the actual price of the item, nor does it convey your ability to purchase the item even if the item has been put out on the shelf. Does that sound wrong to you? It should; see the above point about business these days being fair.

52. pastabatman says:

@SayeedaMacrotainer:

I really hate the “logic” that employee makes “X” so it’s ok that they suck. That makes no sense. They’re PAID to do the JOB. Not paid to do what they/me/you think is a crappy salary so hence can do a crappy job.

7 an hour is terrible. But what does that have to do with doing the actual job? A fair pay rate discussion and the actual job are 2 different things.

And by the way, how much is putting something on a shelf that matches the price worth anyway? Let’s be serious – if they can’t do that with relative reliabilty what the hell on the earth can they do?

53. Santoroski says:

The part that I don’t understand is why you would treat your customers so shabby. Office Max could have saved this bad press for $4! Four dollars! It’s insane. I had a recent issue at a local K-Mart, and we left without the item we came for, and were angry and told all of our friends what a bad experience we had.

What sent this guy over the edge was not the mistake, everyone understands that those happen. It was being treated like it was somehow his fault, and no one seeming to care that the store had screwed up. How about “whoops, really sorry about that.” And fix it. Don’t make lame excuses and don’t blame your customers.

And I don’t know where you guys live, but our Kroger couldn’t care less if their prices ring up wrong. Good luck getting customer service to even talk to you!

54. emington says:

First point: It’s not nice to call employees stupid, it’s not going to get you anywhere. Most of us retail employees aren’t out to get the customer but if you treat us like we’re idiots then we’re not going to provide you with the same level of service that we provide to someone who is polite, calm and treats us like a human being. :) I know this sounds bad and I will be told that I should treat every customer the same, but I’m only human :)

About the price changes… if the item scanned at a lower price than marked, would you complain if they changed it to the marked price? It goes both ways. If the price of a book that I scan is different than the tag, then I always change it to what the tag is. It’s not your fault that the tag is wrong, no, but people are always out to save a buck or two and they’re always too ready to treat employees like crap to do so. I had a woman yell at me over 15 cents. She was buying a book which cost 100$ ._. And she was a doctor. I mean come on, it’s 15 cents. I don’t deserve to be treated like crap and have my feelings hurt by a mean doctor-lady ;_;

55. @SayeedaMacrotainer: Every post about retail seems to get some comment which defends an employee’s lack of courtesy or helpfulness based upon the relatively low wage said employee is paid. This is ridiculous. I fully expect a lower _skill_ level when a job doesn’t pay much (i.e. I don’t expect an electrical engineer to be selling me a PC at Best Buy), but I do not expect a lower level of _professionalism_. If you’re not willing to do the job you’re paid for, quit. To half-ass your job because you don’t like the pay is inexcusable.

56. farker says:

I work in retail. Sounds like the Office Max employees could have handled this situation a lot more deftly.

With thousands of items in a store, sure, misplaced merchandise is going to occur occasionally. I have personally witnessed dozens if not hundreds of customers take an item off the shelf, examine it, decide they don’t want it, and put it back on the shelf two or three feet away from where they found it!

If the price tag truly only said “Logitech Mouse, $12″, then shame on Office Max for not providing a PLU/SKU or UPC for comparison. They would have a more solid claim that they didn’t have to honor the lower price.

However, common sense must be used. If this is a $50 mouse (probably a VX Nano, if I had to guess), how reasonable is it to expect it to cost $12 at this particular store?

If I saw the same sign, my first instinct would not have been to try and rip off the store, but rather alert them to the obviously misplaced sign!

57. farker says:

@ringo00:

No, the change would have been less annoying.

Seriously, if there’s an “end of sale” date, that means after that date, you don’t get the sale price anymore.

Stores aren’t trying to leave up signs to get you to be all upset over it, it was probably an honest mistake, or possibly just lazy employees. In either case, it’s obvious the sale price is not indefinite.

58. Channing says:

People not putting stuff back in the right place is ridiculous.

59. Haess says:

I work for OfficeMax, and yeah, more than likely someone put the stuff back in the wrong spot.. It happens all the damned time.

But like this guy, people freak out at the cashiers and then we have to go up and change the price from say… $16.99 to $3.99..

The argument that someone put the item back in the wrong spot rarely works.

Im betting the tag was for one of the Mombasa Black corded mice, and he picked up a Nano or someone along that line that was in its spot.. Sorry, but it happens.. It shouldnt, but it does.. It could be because of a customer, or a lazy cashier just throwing crap on the shelves when they are restocking..

60. Haess says:

“ANd there is NOTHING more annying than some pissant employee saying something like “oh, that must be a mistake” & then removing the price (like they are covering up their own incompetance/scamming).”

Incompetance? Scamming? It can be because someone forgot to take down and ad sign.. The proper procedure is to honor that price for that customer, and thats it… Certainly not a “scam” if we take the sign down..

61. rellog says:

@Haess: No it’s scamming when they take the incorrect signage down and then DENY that price. I’ve had this happen to me before at Menardsw. Specifically, I was purchasing a circular saw blade. Signage said $14.99, but it rang up at $49…. I made the mistake orf not going back with the cashier, and she removed the pricing (none of their stickers have actual skus on them, only Menard #s that a customer wouldn’t have knowledge of) and told me too bad. Her sign was on a bid with at least 10 other identical blades. So yes, in cases like those it IS scamming…

As for a customer mistake, OM can simply put the SKU on the bin lable to ensure there is no confusion, but as the radio personality stated, the label SAID “wireless mouse”

62. mac-phisto says:

@Haess: But to freak out on people over the price changes? Yeah.. we get price changes EVERY MORNING from corporate.. more and more these days… Cant do anything about it… Mouse in the wrong spot? Sorry.. Customer error is the most likely culprit..

i’m having trouble deciphering this, can you help please? you’re talking out of two sides of your mouth at the same time here. on one side you say, “we get price changes every morning…can’t do anything about it…sorry” & then in the very next sentence you say “customer error is the most likely culprit”.

huh? how is it the customer’s error that they didn’t know there was a price change b/c it was missed by an employee? that makes ZERO sense. please tell me that was some sort of typing error.

63. S-the-K says:

I had a similar experience at Publix once. An item did not ring up at the price on the shelf tag. The description on the shelf tag matched the item I purchased. I was incensed. I had to resort to going back into the store, pull the shelf tag, and showed it to the clerk. It turned out that it was a sale price that ended the previous day but they hadn’t pulled the tag. I guess I was the first person to notice the issue.

64. sgodun says:

S’funny, I was just talking about Office Max mis-pricing two days ago with a friend of mine. I went to an Office Max in Long Island last weekend to pick up a DVI cable. Found one — the LAST one — on the shelf marked $20.99 (expensive, but I needed one). Brought it up to the register where it scanned as $74.99. YES. For a fucking DVI cable. I did exactly the same thing this guy did; I brought the clerk over to the shelf, showed her the tag, showed her that the name and model number matched. (Note that I didn’t get angry or confrontational or anything like that. I was totally polite and professional.) Without saying a word she removed the tag and WALKED AWAY. I watched her go back to her register and start helping other customers.

I couldn’t believe it. My revenge? I grabbed a shopping cart and wandered the whole store for about 15 minutes, grabbing every piece of random stuff I found. I made sure to reach every corner of the store and grabbed at least one item from every shelf. When my cart was full I went to the customer service counter and asked for the manager. When the manager arrived I explained what had happened with the DVI cable and the clerk. He apologized but refused to honor the posted price. So I said fine, and I asked him to check out the rest of my items so that I could be sure they were all priced right. He complied. I watched him diligently scan up about $800 worth of items. When he was done, I looked him in the eye and told him that I wasn’t going to honor that price, to enjoy putting it all back, and I walked out of the store.

NEVER going back to Office Max again.

65. hi says:

@InfiniTrent: Well it was at a gas station. :)

66. ringo00 says:

@RetailGuy83:
    @farker:

I don’t care about being on the manager’s good side. I’ve got plenty of friends. I care about getting the best price I can for something.

A for the expiration dates on the sale signs, I’m in California where the law states that a merchant has to honor the lowest posted price for a given item regardless of any posted expiration dates. CA Business and Professions Code 12024.2 I wasn’t asking him to honor an expirede sales flyer. The price was in a plastic sign posted on the grill itself.

This is supposed to prevent sellers from posting expired sales signs and raising the price at the register. If I were a more petty individual, I could have had the manager cited or arrested. I didn’t think the $30 difference was worth that.

67. FrankReality says:

The Office Max in my locality also has this problem. I’m not convinced that it’s anything but a deliberate scam to deliver more store profit.

68. wishuponastar101 says:

I work for OfficeMax and this does not suprise me in the least bit. I have worked at two different OfficeMax’s and to be honest with you some store are like that. It is really up the cashier on whether or not they will price override an item. If it’s generally less then a $10.00 differences then I do it. But sometimes it depends on your boss and whether or not he’s a dickhead. If you were to pick up that calendar and there were 30 more like it in the same spot then that is obvisouly our fault, if there’s just one then it was probably a customer, and in that case I would simply tell you that someone missed placed it but I will go ahead and give it to you anyway since $4 is not worth the hassle. I’ll be the first person to tell you that OfficeMax can certain be a pain in the ass but if you find the right store with good people, its amazing. The store I’m at right now is amazing and people come in a they always leave happy.