Robbers In Comcast Unforms Break In, Demand Money, Shoot, Then Flee In Comcast Van?

A Baltimore area man was hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries after two men broke in to an apartment, demanded money and then shot him before fleeing in a Comcast van, according to police. Officials have not yet determined whether or not the men work for Comcast, and calls to Comcast by WBAL radio and the AP were not returned.

ABC 7 Baltimore says the man was handcuffed and crashed through his own window in order to escape the robbers:

The victim, who was handcuffed and had been shot in the stomach, apparently tried to flee the intruders by jumping through a window.

“He had handcuffs on, and I can say he broke out the window in the bedroom there and he had the handcuffs on,” said neighbor Marvin King. “He rolled over, got up, and called the police.”

One witness says he saw the men messing around with the cable box outside the apartment before going to the victim’s apartment.

Shooting Suspects Flee In Comcast Van [WBAL](Thanks, Jeff!)

Man Wounded in Bizarre Home Invasion-Shooting [ABC7]

(Photo: Tyler Durden’s Imaginary Friend)

Comments

1. Did they spraypaint the man, then kick him?

2. Trai_Dep says:

Comcast: “Take that, Bit Torrenters!”

3. Verklemptomaniac says:

I’m pretty sure that coerced defenestration counts as a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act…

4. jimv2000 says:

Guess: Some guys steal a Comcast van with uniforms in it, bust into a couple places, and ditch the van.

5. Officials have not yet determined whether or not the men work for Comcast

All signs point to yes?

6. snoop-blog says:

what happened to everybody’s followers?

7. snoop-blog says:

@Trai_Dep: and who did you have to sleep with to get that star there buddy?

8. @Ash78:

Or the van was stolen and this whole event was drug dealer attacking drug dealer.

9. snoop-blog says:

People STILL use comcast?

sorry, wanted to be the first blame the op comment.

10. mgy says:

This should be made into a movie.

You’ve got a badass protagonist, simply tending to his kitchen, garden, whatever. Two henchmen working for the most diabolical corporation burst in, guns blazing, handcuff him and shoot him in the stomach. Bemused by the ease of capturing said protagonist, they grab a beer from the fridge, when SUDDENLY, our hero LEAPS THROUGH THE WINDOW to freedom!

11. Parting says:

I hope will get a follow-up story to confirm their employment.

12. Parting says:

@snoop-blog: What I would like to know, why we cannot flag trolls any more?

13. crabbyman6 says:

This is clearly all Comcast’s fault.

14. snoop-blog says:

@Victo: Because people abused the privelage and were flaggin comments just because they didn’t like/agree with an individual.

15. mike says:

This is why I’m always armed when I have people working inside my house.

16. These were no mere employees, this is their new crack squad of payment procurement specialists.

17. induscreed says:

whats an unform?

18. forgottenpassword says:

isnt this just regular comcastic customer service for an city like Baltimore?

19. warf0x0r says:

Omar’s back!!!

20. Trai_Dep says:

@snoop-blog: It involved far more than merely “sleeping”. (shudder)
    Nah, I think it’s a combination of the quality of comments, their tone, few spelling errors (Meghann sees “its” vs “it’s” as the 8th sign of the Apocalypse), the # of followers (Jim Jones, C’MON down!) and the goat sacrifice.
    No, that’s not quite right: sacrifices.

21. geoffhazel says:

Wasn’t there a thread just a week or so ago about the Comcast employee spray painting a cat? And everyone said “Why is this on the Consumerist? Or do we just like to bash Comcast?”

Yeah, why IS this on the Consumerist? or do we just like bashing Comcast?

22. Mike_ says:

I know what it’s like to be robbed by Comcast. It happens every time I pay my bill. I can’t say I know what it’s like to be shot by them. It’s probably pretty similar to dealing with their customer service department.

23. econobiker says:

The victim should have known that Comcast NEVER EVER sends out technicians to pre-emptively fix a problem.

He would have had to call and wait for the techs not to show for at least two separate appointment window times along with the one appointment-cancelled-by-phone-scheduler appointment before actual Comcast technicians would show up to fix something.

24. m1k3g says:

25. Totorototoro says:

Yeah, I call troll. Comcast never sends out TWO guys. Hard enough to get ONE Comcast guy to come out to fix anything.

26. This really is an amusing/tragic progression of things that involve Comcast vans. First there were donuts. Then there was drag racing that injured a girl. And now armed robbery.

I’m on the edge of my seat!

27. hi says:

@Trai_Dep: GUES thats why i;m not having a star to my name.

28. drunxor says:

Maybe this is what happens when you cancel your service. I canceled the other day, maybe i just got lucky

29. drunxor says:

@Totorototoro:

actually they did send out two guys to my apartment before. they still werent sure how to fix the problem OF COURSE

30. Zclyh3 says:

@linus: 100% agreed.

31. Rippleeffect says:

@snoop-blog: You’d probably flag me if the option was available =P

32. WarOtter - I went to Japan and all I got was this tumor. says:

Hey, at least they showed up! Getting shot in the stomach seems to be a small price to pay compared to the hoops and frustrations you have to go through to usually get them to fix your crap.

33. Wormfather says:

Well I know one person who’s not having a COMCASTIC! day.

34. Juggernaut says:

In every generation there’s a gang after you, the “mob”, bikers, Crips… Comcast Techs?

35. Saboth says:

How’s this news? Comcast steals from me every month. They usually don’t shoot me first though.

36. spinachdip says:

Should have read the fine print. Comcast contract clearly, albeit in 5-point type, states that you will allow armed robbers into your house. Don’t people read what they sign?

37. axiomatic says:

Why would Comcast need to break in to your house to steal from you when they are stealing from your wallet already with the price of their sub par service?

zing

38. theblackdog says:

Um guys, Suitland is about 30 miles south of Baltimore I am not sure that qualifies as “Baltimore Area” considering that you have to drive around or through Washington DC to get to Baltimore from Suitland.

39. Gann says:

I would actually like to commend Comcast for no longer pretending to provide “service”, and just skipping directly to fucking the customer. This kind of transparency is very rare these days.

40. theblackdog says:

@snoop-blog: In most of PG County Maryland, it’s basically Comcast or Nothing right now since Verizon is slow to bring in FiOS

41. spinachdip says:

@theblackdog: I’m guessing because the initial source was a Baltimore network affiliate? Prince George’s keeping it classy!

That said, I wouldn’t mind a bonus sixth season of ‘The Wire’ focusing on cable providers.

42. Darren W. says:

All this, after the poor guy had to wait for them to show up “some time between 8am and 5pm, within the next two weeks, but not on weekends or holidays.”

43. Tyler Durden's Imaginary Friend says:

Photo attribution please.

44. The Porkchop Express says:

@induscreed: an unform is a completely mismathced outfit. Two people at the same company would also not wear the same unform to keep the mismatching theme up.

On a real note, this is like the fake cop pulling people over idea, except you possibly get in their house.

45. Paladin_11 says:

It’s the perfect crime! Who’s going to remember the faces of the perps? “They were wearing Comcast uniforms and fled in a Comcast van! First they robbed me by charging me to cancel HBO. Then they shot me and left me to die!”

46. geoffhazel says:

@Darren W.: LOL!

47. Jesse says:

That’s what the guy gets for not paying his bill on time.

48. ruffedges says:

I feel robbed every time I pay my cable bill!

49. Lambasted says:

@econobiker: Your comment made my day. Well said.

50. spinachdip says:

@Darren W.: These guys tried to get me once, but they said I wasn’t home, even though I was sitting on my couch waiting to be robbed at gunpoint!

51. Parting says:

@Rippleeffect: Then we need a troll-o-meter, once a user gets enough hits from others, his picture changes to a troll image, and we add ”aka troll#xyz” at the name of his nickname. Everything fully automated *grin*

52. So uh… Take that lobbyist against ownership of Handguns within homes… I think?

53. magic8ball says:

@Verklemptomaniac: I would just like to say that I have always loved the word “defenestration.” Thanks for using it.

54. Zwitterion says:

@m1k3g: They were wearing UNFORMS??? OMG, I’d never perform a robbery a robbery wearing something that tacky… Unforms… next thing you know they’ll be wearing ski mosques..

Dude, if you are going to bash someone else’s spelling and grammar, make sure you do it properly by getting yours right… (a robbery a robbery)

55. coffee177 says:

Dont they normally work like that?

Comcast is the poster board child for monopolies and what can go wrong
    when it happens.

56. FLConsumer says:

Damn… I don’t even think Verizon’s collections department is this strict!

57. Tracy Ham and Eggs says:

@spinachdip: Actually, ABC 7 is a Washington station. Thats what confused me, since I only get ABC2, which is Baltimore.

58. S-the-K says:

Comcast is so hard up for income that they just skip to the chase and rob their customers at gunpoint? It sure saves time compared to the tactics they have been employing so far.

I guess when you’re paying big bucks for lawsuits involving your drivers drag racing their vans and running over little girls, they need to make up the income somehow.

59. indy_kid says:

“Always remember to ask for proper identification when allowing telecom workers into your home. It’s also a good idea not to be alone.”

Well, asking for ID won’t work in a HOME INVASION, and having a friend there means that TWO people get traumatized and/or shot. Serious criminals don’t care about the number of DEFENSELESS VICTIMS – they’re going to go ahead with the crime!

Next time, answer the door with your Glock, Sig Sauer, Ruger or Springfield XD behind your back!

60. Consumer007 says:

Well, if he called Comcast and scheduled any kind of service prior to the call, I would say that is an open and shut case…conspiracy to commit robbery.

Okay, I really am kidding this time. As much as I hate BomBast, any company’s van can be stolen and used in a crime. But I love the free advertising for them! :)

61. Consumer007 says:

It would also be interesting if we found out they were employees who used customer records or used service calls to “case” this guy before coming back and robbing him…

62. Carencey says:

I just heard on the news (WUSA 9 at 11) that there was a robbery in Springfield VA today, only the robbers were dressed as Verizon employees. I don’t see the story on the news station website though.

63. Carencey says:

found a link on a different station’s website — [www.nbc4.com]
    wonder if they’re connected, and if so, who they’ll dress as next…

64. MrGrimes says:

said neighbor Marvin King. “He rolled over, got up, and called the police.”

As opposed to, say…calling the police yourself?

65. ViperBorg says: