A Craigslist Scammer Wants Me To Cash This Fake Check, What Should I Do?

Reader Sean got a package with a (presumably fake) check for $4,500. Someone from Craigslist wants him to cash the check and for his trouble, he gets to keep 10%!

I just received a strange UPS package this morning, a check for $4,500

It’s obviously a scam but I was wondering if I could get some expert advice on how to handle the situation in the best and most entertaining way possible.

I believe this got started when I posted a “roommate needed” ad on Craigslist. One girl replied right away, saying that she was coming here from another country. She also mentioned that she was having many things shipped to her here… like a BWM?!?!?

I had already given here the address and she said that her Dad was sending a money order. I had nothing bad bad feelings about the whole thing so I told her the place was already taken. A couple of days ago she emailed saying that she needed my help. She needed me to cash the check that her Dad had already sent and that I could keep 10% of it as a transaction fee.

So I’m guessing that the Craigslist ad is how these people got my address.

Should I just not respond? String them along?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

There’s really no point in stringing them along — unless you’re secretly Batman or something. You’re not, right? Anyway, one option is to collect all the information you can about these folks — emails they’ve sent, the package, all that stuff, and file a police report. It may sound pointless, but Reader Chris managed to get his Craigslist scammer arrested by filing a police report. For all you know, these people have been trying this all over town and you may have the missing puzzle piece. Or they could be in Nigeria.

You can also contact your local FBI field office and ask them if they’re interested in seeing the check. If you’d fallen for the scam, we’d advise that you report it to the FBI’s internet crime complaint center. Thankfully, you didn’t!

Sean sends an update:

The scammer contacted me again and asked if I got the check. She wants me to cash it and send the money to a person in Oklahoma who she says is a car dealer at a place where she wants to buy a car. Also that I need to send the money through Western Union. For clarification, the check was sent from a Florida address and has contact name, address and phone number.

I called the JP Morgan Chase Bank to tell them that I have a lot of contact information from someone who made an obvious forgery of their check. Chase basically said “yes, we’re aware of the problem”. I asked if they wanted any of the information, like the name and address in Florida that it was sent from. The name & address of who it’s supposed to go to? They said, not really.

I called the local FBI and they said they get lots of this and had me go to IC3.gov to report the information. I filed the report but I’m not counting on getting any response.

Well, Sean, you did everything that you could do.

Comments

1. Nighthawke says:

As Meg put it, turn it over to the Fed and let them deal with the clown.

2. casianoa says:

I’ve heard of this scam before. The bank will put it through before they realize it’s a fake. They’ll have their money and you’ll be left owing the bank.

As stated, police…

3. dmolavi says:

A BWM? Is that a knock-off BMW you can buy on the street corners in NYC?

4. fostina1 says:

email her back and tell her your bank wont cash it b/c you need atleast %10 of the funds in your account. tell her to send you a money order or cash to get your account ready for the check. then give it to the feds.

5. ARPRINCE says:

I would contact the authorities and see if they are interested. I would NOT contact them again though. Hey, they know your address and might send you “something else” or worst, might pay you a personal visit. But that’s just me.

6. Munsoned says:

Cashing a check you think to be fake (or doing pretty much anything else with it) is not an opportunity for entertainment. If you want entertainment, go see a movie. The OP needs to wash his hands of this and contact the FBI. Else, throw the check away (maybe make a photocopy just in case) and ignore all correspondence with the other side.

7. greenpepper says:

Just turn it all over to the local detectives… they’ll take it from there.

8. ratnerstar says:

Actually, you’re supposed to send copies of the check to five of your friends, or else someone you love will die in a week.

9. heypal says:
  10. esd2020 says:

The US Postal Inspector ([www.usps.gov]) and the FTC (ftc.gov) might also be interested.

11. esd2020 says:

even better — here’s an online form to report fake check scams: [www.fakechecks.org]

12. bravo369 says:

I strung along a craigslist scammer once. they were trying to rent a room also. They gave me the usual BS and I emailed a few times without giving personal information. They said they wanted to pay a month in advance because they will be in France for a month. I made up that I would be in France for business also and that we could meet. I never heard from him again.

13. Juggernaut says:

Use that check to pay your cell phone, internet, cable and Best Buy bills… and/or buy Munsoned a sense of humor with it

14. celticgina says:

I think that he might want to contact the Secret Service, instead of the FBI. Secret Service is part of the Treasury Dept and they handle bank fraud

15. Dobernala says:

Wasn’t someone arrested for merely asking a bank if a check was fake? Might want to be careful how you handle it..

16. bledsoe706 says:

Postal Inspectors can’t do anything unless it’s sent USPS.

17. hypnotik_jello says:

I like how it’s only made out to “Sean” first name only

18. edrebber says:

Police could hold you for up to 48 hours for questioning. I would call UPS and tell them you want to refuse the package and for them to send it back. You’re allowed ot refuse shipments and have them sent back at no cost to you.

19. nursetim says:

@Dobernala:
    I also seem to remember a post here about that. I would definitely call the FBI.

20. Black Bellamy says:

Send them a picture of your penis. It’s Craigslist, right?

21. Um, why did you put your full address in the ad? You could have put what block, for authentic potential roommies to know what area you’re in.

22. amyschiff says:

I saw a case like this once on Judge Judy… except the girl cashed the check for her mother and then had to sue to try and get the money back. Lol.

23. Snarkysnake says:

@fostina1:

Money Order ?
    Not to be disrespectful,but money orders are easier to fake than many kinds of checks.They are sort of like 1840′s money in that there are thousands of entities that issue them . Do you know what an Ingles Supermarkets money order looks like ?
    What about Global Express ? Do you know how to authenticate one before depositing it ? Didn’t think so.Money orders can be OK, (Postal M.O.’s are probably safest because few small time crooks want to risk committing a federal crime over a few bucks),but even they are not foolproof. Nigerians ,for instance,don’t care if they commit a U.S> federal crime.

The bottom line is- treat anything like this as radioactive. Never underestimate these crooks.

24. humphrmi says:

@Black Bellamy: LOL

I will chime in with the others, there is no safe and valid opportunity for entertainment here; the scammers have your address and if they are violent (many scammers are) your life could be in jeopardy once they realize that you’re playing them.

Report it to the FBI, and ask them if they want the check or should you just throw it away. Keep a copy, just in case.

25. leprofie says:
  26. LatherRinseRepeat says:

I’d pass on the string-along option. Not really worth the time/effort. Just report it to the appropriate authorities.

27. MrGrimes says:

Use it to open a CD at your bank…when it all hits the fan, enjoy the show. When they start asking questions, keep insisting that you won a Nigerian lottery pool. The more they try to explain that you were duped…the more furious you should become that they don’t believe you.

28. easy2panic says:

Scambaiters protect their identity when baiting scams for a reason. Now that they have your real identity, I would not try to do anything funny.

29. kallawm says:

The cops/feds won’t do anything with it, because they can’t. It’s untraceable and even if it wasn’t, it’s up to the cops in Nigeria (probably where these people are from) who won’t do anything either.

You need to get rid of the check ASAP. In the U.S., having it in your possession is a crime. DO NOT DEPOSIT!!!!

30. kallawm says:

Also, someone here posted a link to 419eater.com. You could give someone there the info and see if they can collect more. You’re too involved to do any more on this one.

31. Cocotte says:

Don’t cash it. They can use the info on the cancelled check to hack into your bank account – not speculation, but straight from the book the catch-me-if-you-can guy wrote. Which is an excellent read btw.

32. rabiddachshund says:

P-P-P-POWERBOOK!!

33. rabiddachshund says:

Where’d my comment go?
    <.<
    >.>

34. mariospants says:

I’d ask the OP to ask the scammer to send another cheque (add a fake last name, previous cheque went thru the wash, etc.). At least fleece the scammer the cost of issuing a cheque and sending it from Nigeria.

35. Gopher bond says:

@kallawm: “In the U.S., having it in your possession is a crime. “

Awesome, I’m going to send fake checks to all my enemies. Mwaahahahahah!

36. innout3x3 says:

I am assuming they meant BMW. My fiance got one of those things. They asked her to cash it, then send them the rest of the money. She’s not stupid, so she told the people who sent it she will wait till the check is cleared. It didn’t clear, so no harm done.

37. impudence says:

DO NOT PLAY GAMES WITH THAT CHECK!!! I work as a criminal defense attorney in NY. You are opening yourself up to unnecesary criminal liabilty. Here in NY the DA’s would happily prosecute you for possesion of a forged instrument, even though you are the potential victim of fraud. I would destroy the check or report it to the postal police.

38. Islandkiwi says:

I oversee management of several apartment complexes, and three weeks ago someone photoshopped one of our business checks and mass mailed them to people. A five thousand dollar check, they were told to cash it and then send two money orders to two separate locations. They got to keep the remaining grand.

SO what happened is this: the person takes it to the bank, the bank advances the money to them, they think everythings okay and witre the money out. My bank catches it as a fraudulent check, and their bank demands the money back from the guy that cashed it.

The result is I was forced to close our bank account and set up a new one. That photoshopped check has been cashed by at least eight different people, and they’re either out the 4 grand or (in one instance) facing criminal prosecution for passing a bad check.

Bottom line, this is mail fraud. Take it to your local post office or report it to http://www.fakechecks.org. Not a funny situation at all, I was shocked at how many people went ahead and tried to cash that check.

39. That-Dude says:

@kallawm: @testsicles:

Seriously? I kind of doubt possessing a fake check is a crime. Strict liability on check possession seems outrageous.

40. That-Dude says:

@impudence: Is it strict liability on possession? No intent needed?

41. MrGrimes says:

@rabiddachshund: Yes that Powerbook string along was classic.

42. That-Dude says:

@That-Dude: @That-Dude:

Nope, just looked it up . . . the possessor must have an intent to defraud, so as long as you just have the check and don’t cash it, you are ok. I wouldn’t cash it — that would show intent to defraud.

43. ChristopherDavis says:

@Islandkiwi: Bottom line, this is mail fraud.

That may be why it was sent to the OP by UPS; if it doesn’t go through the mail, it may be a lot of things but I suspect that it’s not prosecutable as mail fraud. Scammers may want to minimize the number of charges they could theoretically face if ever caught, and avoiding the Postal Service would keep this one off the list.

44. Boatski says:

I get a few of these emails a week. I usually tell em off, althought its the same person most likely.

45. Nighthawke says:

NYC and NY itself is so sue-happy it ain’t even funny. Just ask Spitzer.

46. midwestkel says:

Tell them in order to cash a check that big your bank requires money that you dont have. Then tell them to wire like $1000 to you and then ignore them. You just made $1000 free and clear.

47. Gokuhouse says:

I wouldn’t be too worried about them being violent, but why chance it? Ignore the situation but keep the documentation that pertains to it.

48. Gopher bond says:

@That-Dude: That’s kind of what I was getting at with my response. You’d have to have a pretty rotten day to get charged with check fraud just because someone sent it to you. It’d be pretty easy to show the email, letter, UPS package that came to your house and explain yourself. However, imagine you haven’t had time to read the letter and fake check and you take the check with you on your way to the bank and are pulled over. You mention you’re on your way to the bank, somehow the cops sees the check cause you left it on the seat. Oh yeah, and you’re not white. Suddenly things get a little dicey.

49. Gann says:

Send them monopoly money.

50. Elvisisdead says:

As a former fed, I can tell you that your best bet it to call your local police. $4500 falls well below the threshold for fed involvement. The locals will eyeball it and feed it up, if necessary. Don’t call the postal inspectors – it wasn’t sent through the mail. The FBI isn’t interested unless it’s tied to terrorism. USSS is the agency if they need to get involved.

If you just WANT to call them, find your local field office here: [www.ustreas.gov] Someone that answers the phone will be able to tell you if they’re interested. If they are, expect a personal visit – not adversarial – but they’ll want to collect the check and the packaging and interview you.

51. killakhan4 says:

If you want to do the right thing, you can simple report this person to the US Postal Police and the precinct nearby. On the other hands… Entertainment wise.. Contact the person and demand a check with a larger amount lol. Say you are too lazy to leave your house for only 10% which is like $450! Send in the millions buddy!

52. Jeneni says:

Well, there’s always [thescambaiter.com]

53. mzhartz says:

I had a friend who got a check from a scammer and decided to mess with him. She kept a blog of it at [anatomyofascam.blogspot.com]

54. tundey says:

Take the consumerist advice and just trash the check. And for crying out loud, why would you post your actual address on craiglist?

55. SuperRad says:

A friend of mine sold something on ebay and received a money order from King tutu’s assistant in Nigeria.
    His girlfriend thought it would be fun to take it to a check cashing place to see what would happen if they tried cashing it.
    He was waiting and about 10 minutes later a cop showed up and put him in handcuffs and placed him in the back of the cop car.
    A detective over the phone went on ebay to search for the listing and since it was expired saw nothing. He told them he could log into his account to show them the listing and they said no.
    After an hour they let him go, only to have a public defendant leave him a message a month later saying they might be pressing charges on him (don’t know who “They” are) and he has never been contacted since.

56. mmcnary says:

@Gann: Just like the Denny’s commercial. That’s not real money. That’s not a real breakfast…

But you should soak the monopoly money in something unpleasant first.

57. bonzombiekitty says:

@rabiddachshund: Damn you, that was my first thought.

58. jwissick says:

People. Do not bother the police or the Feds. They will not investigate. The scammer is not in the US. They have no jurisdiction. There is nothing they can do. Just put put the check in the confetti maker and forget about it. I bait these scammers. In the last few years, I have gotten more than 1.5 million bucks in fake checks, money orders, and other crap.

59. mike says:

Yes, it’s tempting to mess with the guy…but he knows your address. I’d give it up to the feds.

It’s one thing if it’s an e-mail; it’s another when a scammer shows up at your doorstep.

60. DjSnipSnip says:

whatever you do, DON’T deposit the check thinking if Bank clears it (somehow) you can scam them instead… even if bank is aware of possible fraud, even if bank clears the check, and even if a month went by without any issues; the bank will come back asking you to cover the obviously fake check and there is nothing you can do about it.

61. That-Dude says:

@testsicles: I assumed you were being a bit sardonic, I just wanted to point out that possession really isn’t 9/10 of the law.

62. RandomHookup says:

@dmolavi: BWM — Bisexual white male, just like in the personals…so I hear. Every apartment should have one.

63. TropicalParadise says:

My boyfriend had someone approach him like this when he wanted a subletter.

The person used a slightly different angle, he was from Uasdkl;fjasl;jkxcvxcasdfia and oh no! he has made a terrible mistake and sent too much money for rent in a check!!! Would mr.TP please be so kind as to send him back the excess!!

There was a warning about it on my university’s housing page and I pointed him in that direction and my boyfriend just sent an email with lyrics to a drinking song.

64. eliblack says:

I had a bit of experience with this when someone started using my company’s information on checks for exactly this purpose. I don’t know how many people got scammed, but a number of them called us to ask if the check was legit. I collected a lot of information, but it didn’t do much good as the scammer was in the UK somewhere. Various authorities I talked to eventually ended up referring me to the local police, who of course couldn’t really do anything.

One woman who called said she was calling to check because she’d already been burned three times by the same scam. Ouch.

65. joshthephenom says:

I say you toy with them since they know your address, and then set up a bunch of booby traps a la Home Alone and let the hilarity ensue.

66. Tiber says:

I consider myself pretty smart, but I never had experience with scammers (I don’t get a lot of spam, don’t use eBay, and didn’t use Craigslist until recently). So when I thought I found a roommate, nothing tripped my scam alert until the very end. Fortunately, it was very easy to confirm that it was a scam, since the fraud check had the phone number of the victim on it. Sure, I didn’t lose money per se, but that lead to time wasted where I’m paying the full sum on a 2-bedroom.

I thought, hey, couldn’t the police set up a flagged western union account and see who goes for it? I took the check and envelope to the police and they said that’s one thing they do. Mostly they said that prosecuting between state lines is difficult, assuming they’re even in the US. My BS alarm is a bit better though, so I know that meant that they weren’t going to bother pursuing it.

67. Trai_Dep says:

BWMs? The economy HAS tanked if people are trading in Bi White Males these days.

68. surgesilk says:

Try http://www.419eater.com/. They just play tricks on scammers to get them to waste time, send pics of themselves with bizarre signs or even get the scammers to send them real money! It’s hilarious. You’ll get lots of ideas there.

69. Trai_Dep says:

@MrGrimes: Exhibit A of the likelihood that advice from anyone using a Simpsons graphic for an avatar won’t have anything useful to contribute to the thread.

70. kyle4 says:

They have his address and some of his personal information now, he should be very cautious that they a) Don’t pay him a visit and b) Use his information for scams. He shouldn’t of strung them along for his own enjoyment, he might have to pay for that now.

71. Ragman says:

Another good site is [www.scamorama.com]

BWM – Boyfriend With Machete??

72. Nytmare says:

The scam is extremely common, and too much trouble to investigate, especially when there has been no monetary loss. Therefore just shred the check and ignore the scammer is my suggestion. The scammer sends out dozens or hundreds of these things, they are used to being let down and if you pay them no further mind they will do the same.

73. TheNerd says:

Neither posessing or destroying a fake check is a crime. But why do either, when you can have fun with the FBI! Next time I’m bored, I hope someone sends me a fake check, so I can watch an entertaining federal investigation unfold.

74. econobiker says:

also ebolamonkeyman.com is a good scam bater site…

75. Tell ‘em to go fark themselves?

76. SinisterMatt says:

@heypal: @Jeneni: +1.

If you hadn’t put your address on there, I would totally go for scamming them. The sites you mention are pretty hilarious.

Cheers!

77. Hawkins says:

Bear in mind what happened to the guy in San Francisco who took a fraudulent check to Bank of America, where he had an account, and asked them pretty much what you’re asking: the check is probably fraudulent; what should I do?

The friendly customer-service folks at B of A simply called the police and had him arrested, and pressed charges.

The whole ghastly story is here: [clarkhoward.com] and probably lots of other places. B of A was particularly idiotic about it, but that doesn’t mean that your bank won’t be sniffing out of the same glue-pot.

78. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

So what DOES one do if they suspect they’ve been given a fake check or money order? My Dad uses eBay a lot and often pays for his stuff (mostly fishing tackle and the like, rarely over $10 including shipping) with a money order from his bank. I’m considering putting some stuff up for sale and would like to accept money orders as a means of payment, (in addition to the regular PayPal route,) but is there any way to ask a bank to check the authenticity of a money order without getting in trouble myself?

79. howie_in_az says:

I always tell the scammers that my name is such-and-such and give an address, Attention: myname, blah blah blah.

Rarely if ever do they realize they’ve sent their bogus money orders to the head of the Phoenix FBI’s fraud department.

80. failurate says:

It’s times like this that I ask myself, “Self, What would Chris Hansen do”?

81. basilwhite says:

If you cash a bad check you’re guilty of fraud whether you knew the check was bad or not. People tend not to report these scams because the financial institution has you for fraud, not any other person whose name might be on the check. They might have defrauded you, but you defrauded the financial institution. That’s the law whether you like it or not.

82. elmuchachos says:

this has been going on for quite sometime. The FBI doesnt care as it cant be traced and UPS doesnt care. The scammers are smart in that they dont use USPS as it becomes a federal offense and postal inspectors actually do something about stuff like this.

83. anarcurt says:

Get them to keep sending you packages, make ‘em waste money on postage.

84. iguanoid says:

You should haggle with them, tell them you want 11.5%.

85. impudence says:

@That-Dude:

I was being simplistic. You are correct it is not a strict liability crime. However, the police do not need to show intent in order to arrest you. I have defended many clients who are accused of possession of a forged instrument for having fake registration stickers on the car they were driving. In reality they borrowed the car from their cousin or brother etc and had no clue that the registration was forged. Nevertheless, they are arrested and charged based on the mere possession of the registration.

I wouldn’t argue that this guy would be convicted but he would be opening himself up to being arrested should the circumstances arise that he is found with the check.

86. mac-phisto says:

sean —>

don’t waste your time. be thankful that you didn’t fall victim & shred everything. i’ve dealt with A LOT of these instruments (even forged government payment instruments) & quite frankly, no one seems to care. it’s great that you contacted the bank it’s drawn on – sometimes they don’t know, so congratulations! you get a junior ID sheriff badge!

in terms of law enforcement? they don’t care, there’s nothing they can do about it, & even if they could, they’re not going to do a damn thing to tackle what is obviously a widespread criminal scam that costs americans billions of dollars per year.

thanks for watching our backs, guys! what do those letters stand for? fat, bald & incompetent?

87. LUV2CattleCall says:

@dmolavi:

Nope, you can find them in NCY though!

88. MrEvil says:

Personally, I’d like to see these dirtbag scammers grow the stones and come start something with someone in Texas. In this state you can shoot a burglar dead and not have to worry about getting sued or going to jail.

89. seamer says:

They give you a fake check, the bank gives a temp balance (but not AVAILABLE) so you think the check is legit, you forward on 90% of the check value and then the bank cancels your check leaving you in crap. And 90% of a fake check less is now in your account.

Thats how the scams work, they trick you to send your money along instead of theirs.

90. Don Roberto says:

I would just shred it and break contact with the scammer. Don’t be a snitch. Seriously, why snitch if there was no harm done. Don’t throw a fellow human into an inhumane system. If anyone else gets scammed on down the line, they deserve it for being greedy and/or stupid/gullible.

91. jcoltrane says:

Back in college, I went to the bank and cashed a $100 check, getting five twenties. I realized after I left that they had given me one counterfeit $20 bill. I was flabbergasted and returned to the bank demanding a replacement $20. They said no, as I couldn’t prove I’d received it from them and could be trying to pass one off on them.

What could I do? I contemplated keeping it as a souvenir, but as an impoverished college student, throwing away $20 was just not a possibility. I took it out and passed it at a busy bar on a Saturday night.

Am I proud? No. Do I still feel a bit ethically shady about it? Sure, but I ended up getting my $20 back and not getting screwed by my bank. That’s gotta count for something.

92. NoFlopScott says:

@Neecy: As far as selling on eBay goes, make it VERY clear that you will only: sell/ship to the US; sell/ship to a CONFIRMED PayPal address; that you accept ONLY PayPal or USPS Money Orders for payment (because these are the most secure forms of payment); that you will immediately return any other form of payment to sender.

Letting potential buyers know that you are NOT a scammer also lets potential scammers know that you won’t be an easy mark

93. PVogel says:

The Federal Mail Fraud statute (18 USC 1341) was modified in 1994 to include items sent by common carrier such as FedEx, DHL and UPS as well as the Postal Service. So you certainly can notify the Postal Inspectors even if the check was sent by UPS.

The actual change is: “Pub. L. 103-322, Sec. 250006, inserted “or deposits or causes to be deposited any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by any private or commercial interstate carrier,” after “Postal Service,” and “or such carrier” after “causes to be delivered by mail”.

94. mythago says:

@basilwhite, where do you live that fraud is a strict-liability crime? By the way, fraud statutes vary by state.

95. kbarrett says:

@humphrmi: Out here in the red states, we refer to violent scammers who know our home address as “reaction targets”.

96. parrotuya says:

Never accept a check from anyone. Not even your friends. Take Paypal, credit cards or cash only. Trust no one!

97. @jcoltrane: Ha! I once took out a whole whopping 10 dollars from an ATM, it was the day before Christmas Eve and I was soooo broke, and was taking my sad 10 dollars to try and get some presents… But the bill ripped in half as I pulled it from the machine. I went in and asked if they could replace the bill. The teller took the bill, and walked away for a moment, when she came back she told me it was fake. They confiscated it, didn’t give me my 10 bucks at all. They said there was no way I could prove I got it from their machine. I said what about the cameras, they said I could have used the machine and then switched a real bill for a fake before coming it to have it replaced.

I was mostly insulted that they thought I was stupid enough to do something like that… yeah, I’m gonna go to a BANK to trade in a fake TEN DOLLAR bill, on the day before Xmas eve, when I could have gone to any retailer and had no problem using a ripped 10 to buy a 25 cent pack of gum and gotten $9.75 of bona fide cash back.

98. fever says:

Isn’t this what fake ID’s, growing hilarious beards, and check-cashing places are for?

99. Meisterjager says:

All seems legit to me…

100. mac-phisto says:

@Don Roberto: you’re an ass.

@jcoltrane: that’s what sucks about counterfeit money. whoever reports it gets stuck footing the bill. not really fair.

& btw – banks/retailers know this & don’t like to “get stuck”. just a pba there, so always check your money before you leave a store.

101. 00exmachina says:

Depending on what you want to do you can either go to your local authorities or,

Shred the check and have fun, [www.419baiter.com]

102. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@howie_in_az: NICE!

@Don Roberto: Why should any of us have more sympathy for a scammer than for the scammer’s victims? No one deserves to have a crime committed against them and anyone who doesn’t want me ‘snitching’ on them shouldn’t be trying to defraud me.

103. blue_duck says:

I work at a credit union and I see this ALL the time.

104. Mr. Gunn says:

Trai_Dep: Well, it IS craigslist.

/the other Big White Meat

105. arl84 says:

@Don Roberto: That’s not very nice. What if the next person down the line is your grandma? Does she deserve to lose her life savings(and your inheritance) because she’s “stupid/gullible?” Everyone makes mistakes.

Also, let’s say I’m crazy enough that I track you down, show up on your doorstep and shoot you the second you open the door. Well let’s say the bullet misses. No harm done. So are you gonna send me to jail for attempted murder? Would you snitch on me?