Attention Hungry Insomniacs: Burger King Will Now Stay Open Until 2 AM

You know how Burger King is always closed and you have to go to Taco Bell? And you don’t even like Taco Bell? No more. Burger King has announced that it will be staying open until 2 am.

“Further extending our late-night hours allows us to meet strong consumer demand and deliver on the ‘Have It Your Way’ brand promise,” said Russ Klein, president-global strategy, marketing and innovation at Burger King, Miami, in a statement.

To promote the new closing time, the fast-food chain will launch a TV spot, directed by Spike Lee. It will feature entertainment mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs, who has been recruited as the brand’s “Late Night Ambassador.”

Combs seems to be taking his new “job” seriously:

“Everyone knows I own the night,” said Combs, in a statement. “As ‘Late Night Ambassador,’ it’s my goal to get everyone involved, whether they’re leaving a club, concert or studio session. BK is the only place that does late-night right.”

Does this mean BK is going to start serving raccoon dog meat now?

Burger King Now Open ‘Til 2 A.M.
[Burger King]
(Photo: Morton Fox )

Comments

1. snoop-blog says:

Notorious has to be rollin in his grave.

2. B says:

Is Diddy going to be wearing a diamond encrusted Burger King mask?

3. snoop-blog says:

Diddy owns the night? Late night ambassador? ROTFLMFAO!!

What’s ironic is I thought brotha’s didn’t like mayo? That’s like bk’s favorite condiment right there. Well after their crunchy tomatoes and 3 in thick chunks of lettuce.

btw- It was a joke before anyone tries to call me racist. anyone how ever seen Undercover Brother knows what the hell I’m talking about.

4. jnews says:

When I was a lad, I worked the closing shift at a Burger King that was open until 2am on weekdays, and 4am on weekends. We also stayed open past closing time for as long as we had $50 an hour of business. That was all well and good for us because we were in a high-traffic location and were the only place open. But for those franchisers who live in low-traffic or unsafe areas, being open until 2am when there’s no economic justification for it is really expensive.

5. Ftp1423 says:

Oh man this is eerily akin to reminiscent of when Michael Jackson thought he got the “Performer of the Millenium” award. Late night ambassador… that’s amazing

6. acknight says:

One would think that an appropriate closing time to take advantage of the late-night crowd would be after the bars close, not at or before that time (at least for cities and such).

7. MercuryPDX says:

I am so glad that most fast food (and some diner type places) is 24 hours out here (Oregon/Washington).

I not-so-fondly remember having to drive to Brooklyn for McDonalds past 10PM.

8. evslin says:

@acknight: Maybe they’re just testing the waters with plans to extend the hours as needed in certain locations. I live in a state that shuts down at 1am, a 2am close would be fine here – except a couple of the Burger Kings out here are already 24 hours on the weekends.

9. Truvill says:

@snoop-blog:

Heh, that scene played out EXACTLY in my head, complete with the hot sauce.

10. @snoop-blog: You raci–

Oh wait.. I have seen that movie, AND I get the reference!

11. samurailynn says:

Oh man… now I’m craving BK.

12. Just great. Who in hades are they going to get to work the latenight shift? HighSchoolers that should be home asleep? Illegals? The hopelessly unemployeed? Yep, just the group of people that I want making my sandwich.

13. Rippleeffect says:

I can’t see myself driving (or walking, its close enough) to the BK down the street even at 10pm. The Radioshack next door as been robbed at gunpoint (home invasion style) twice at 6pm in the evening.

This could be good for those drive throughs on my way to colorado.

14. ElizabethD says:

You night owls need to visit Providence and get your early-morning snacks at Haven Brothers. Even NPR says so!

[www.npr.org]

15. DrGirlfriend says:

@Corporate-Shill: Who’s making your fast food now? Yuppies?

16. mdoublej says:

@Corporate-Shill:

Can’t you read? Diddy is going to be working!

17. Noris says:

15 comments and not one self-righteous jerk commenting about the quality or nutritional content of fast food while ignoring the right of the consumer to make personal choices for themselves and take responsibility for their choices?

The trolls and general idiots must’ve lost their internet for the day.

18. TheDude06 says:

awww its kinda cute to see the little guy go full circle from pretending to be a pimp, to being an actual whore isnt it?

19. etinterrapax says:

The only thing standing between us and the apocalypse now is home delivery.

20. drjayphd says:

Diddy might claim to own the night, but we all know Electric Six invented the night…

+ Watch video

21. snoop-blog says:

@TheDude06: win!

22. DrGirlfriend says:

@etinterrapax: I don’t know if they still do it, but a few McD’s in NYC used to deliver.

23. ninjatoddler says:

Crap. There goes my summer-get-fit-again plans.

24. y2julio says:

@DrGirlfriend: They do but it’s to business only and only over a certain amount.

25. bobpence says:

Wait, this isn’t just drive-through, the restaurant will be open until 2 in the morning? My guess is you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. At least now that they’ve redeveloped the Mos Eisley spaceport on Tatooine.

26. forgottenpassword says:

@snoop-blog:

I’ve found that most black fast food workers somehow think that all white people just LOVE mayo on hamburgers & other sandwiches. I repeatedly make sure I say “I want NO MAYONAISE on my sandwich” because if I dont specify exactly what I want on my sandwich…. I almost always get mayo. I hate mayo…. it is nasty.

Btw…. some BKs around here are open 24 hours.

BK has been pretty good at being available at odd hours (early morning hours ..at least 5 am) for the most part….along with other fast food places…. except wendys they ALWAYS open the latest (in the morning)compared to the others.

27. savvy9999 says:

mmmmm… fifthmeal.

28. BrianU says:

2 AM is bar closing time here, and most other states I’ve been in. 3AM would make more sense in catching that crowd, but I wouldn’t work that shift. And being an ex shift worker, I was always glad to find a place I could grab a bite to go after work and on the way to bed.

29. snoop-blog says:

@forgottenpassword: Call me disgusting but I prefer all 3 sauces on my burger; ketchup, mayo, and mustard, so Rally’s or Checkers is actually my favorite fast food place.

30. darksunfox says:

This all-the-time drive-thru service is nice, but fast food companies really need to find a way to accommodate walk-in traffic for late night service and not just have the drive-thru. In my college years, my roommates and I would walk to the bar as to avoid driving… yet walking home and having a sudden, inexplicable urge for cheeseburgers, fries, or 10 pounds of food at taco bell (“And could you throw in like 30 fire sauces! No, 50!”), often get service refused at drive thru’s because we weren’t on vehicles. There has to be a market for the “stumbling home” crowd beyond me and my buddies, especially in college markets.

31. mercnet says:

The BK at Virgina Tech is open till 4am on weekends! I guess 2AM is a start.

32. cstx says:

Right, shouldn’t they be open until about 4a.m.–as most clubs don’t let out until 2 or 3a.m.? Diddy, of all people, should know that…

33. mac-phisto says:

@darksunfox: dude, you never played the invisible car bit? don’t forget the sound effects!

34. This article is INCREDIBLY spot on. Just last night, I went to Burger King with a bunch of friends at 12:59 AM, only to have them close the drive thru right when we pulled up to the drive thru speaker. Amazing.

Then…

we went to Taco Bell.

This article is incredibly accurate.

35. jusooho says:

@Noris: You forgot about how the REALLY best cheeseburger is this little place down on 5th and Main that is named after the owner and has been open 38 years, and you have to order in secret code.

36. allstarecho says:

Does me no good since all the BKs around me have closed and the nearest is 20 miles.

37. meeroom says:

mmmmm…. checkers..

38. The BK near me is supposed to be open ’til 2200, and you’d be lucky to find it open as late as 2130, on most nights.

39. BlackFlag55 says:

At 2am I’m either dead asleep, or birthing calves in a blizzard.

40. I just got my new Snack or Die T-Shirt…

41. snoop-blog says:

What about the CRAVE!!!! My town is getting a white castle finally after the whole city has (seriously) been driving 45 mins just to get some. And that’s no joke. Long before Harold and Kumar, there was the city of ‘redacted’ that took family trips to White Castles. The owner swore to never open a White Castle in ‘redacted’ because the factories made the entire city (so he said) stink. It was really only the south side that stunk though. But the big stink factory was recently shut down and now were getting supposedly 2 White Castles.

42. anachro882 says:

Wow, now I can have Taco Bell for fourthmeal and Burger King for fifthmeal instead of the other way around! This is awesome!

43. Rippleeffect says:

@snoop-blog: Not disgusting. I enjoy the same three sauces. If catsup isn’t available, thousand island dressing will do

44. forgottenpassword says:

@darksunfox:

the reason for this is that often the “stumbling home crowd” are obnoxious idiots who cause trouble. Having drunks in one’s establishment is not something a business owner wants & I wouldnt blame them. There are no bouncers at fast food restaurants.

45. snoop-blog says:

@Rippleeffect: Now wait just a GD minute there…. There is no reason to bring some nasty shit like thousand island into this. They should have called that shit 10 cent island dressing. YUCK CITY!

46. Youthier says:

@snoop-blog: Oh, I believe you. My younger brother and friends spent their senior skip day driving two hours to the nearest White Castle and Sonic.

Our small-town BK is off the interstate and about four years ago began staying open until 2 AM during the week and 24 hours on weekends. You have never seen a town so excited in all your life.

47. jjason82 says:

Great! Now I can have the most disgusting, microwaved hamburgers in America whenever I want it! How convenient!

48. Rippleeffect says:

@snoop-blog: lol… thousand island is just mayo, catsup and pickles with some other seasoning. Take it you’ve never ate at In-N-Out?

49. pyro789x says:

I love Taco Bell…

50. snoop-blog says:

@Rippleeffect: No I live in the midwest and we suck so we don’t get to have an In-N-Out. However I once ate a a Fatburger- not bad.

Yeah I don’t know why I detest thousand island, I think it’s because everyone has their own version and even try to call it something special like “mac sauce” or “secret sauce” or something else besides “thousand Island”.

Now Arby’s has the red ranch (on beef and cheddars and no it’s not the same as arby sauce). I use to work there, and for some reason people thought the red ranch was arby sauce. Two totally different flavors there.

51. @Rippleeffect:

YES Thousand Island. Love it with French Fries. On Burgers…. yum.

Also do Honey Mustard.

Skip the red stuff they call catsup.

52. legwork says:

Oh goody, our BK can stay vacant another 2 hours every day.

@savvy9999: Mmmmm… filthmeal. :)

53. SchuylerH says:

Whatever you do, don’t ask for mayo on your late-night burger when you go here.

54. Manok says:

I don’t care about the extended hours, I want my six pack burger that those lucky bastards in london get to gorge on.

55. WraithSama says:

Every BK in my city is open 24 hours aleady.

56. Snarkysnake says:

BTW- remember that BK recently had to give in and give the folks that pick the tomatoes that you will have on your Whopper a raise for the amount that they pick.So the purchase of a Whopper now SUPPORTS these hard working folks. If that purchase is at 2:30 in the morning, God bless ‘em. It was really good to see the little guy get something besides a swift kick in the ass from a large company like BK.

57. TangDrinker says:

God, the BK off of College st in Bloomington was open til 3 or 4 am. The (more than) few times we went there post midnight, only the drive-thru was open – and every single time – the wait was at least 30 minutes. I hope BK has a better system now than when they were feeding the IU crowd. And yes, most times we’d just stay “f it” and go over to Taco Hell right down the street.

58. Stanium says:

Good news! Now you have more time to trash your body and gain extra weight

59. Chad Cloman says:

We have quite a few 24-hour McDonalds and Burger Kings here in Denver.

60. A_Random_Me says:

I live about 10-15mins walk from what was the first McDonalds in the UK to go 24hrs – can’t say I really use it. Having seen the number of drunk people going directly from the clubs to the fast food, I’m surprised Burger King haven’t tapped into this already.

The next trick they came up with around here was an “express kiosk” or “walk-thru” to avoid said drunk people actually going inside.